Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #57
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, April 21 1997        Volume 02 : Number 057

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:59:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 375 (snowgod)

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Anyone else find this argument almost impossible to read, let alone
> > understand?
> 
> On the contrary: as soon as I saw Malenkai's statement that he was
> attempting to overthrow the Godfather, I realized that we had this
> problem.
> 
> The basic problem is that there is only one player who is actually
> designated by the rules as being empowered to determine with authority
> who is and is not a member of Organized Crime. If that player is not
> around to indicate whether or not the overthrow attempt succeeded....
> 
> breadbox

Oh, I agree with you completely there.  Indeed, I was actually starting to
think through the whole missing Godfather thing myself the night before
Malenkai submitted his CFJ, although I hadn't even approached thinking of
it as a paradox.  No, what I meant is that Malenkai's reasoning is very
ahrd to understand.

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:19:47 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Duel 

>I've been sitting here on the steps of the Senate for days,  waiting with
>a perfectly good limerick.  It's time to put up or shut up.  Either give
>me your best shot,  or I demand an appology,  for the shameless way you
>have besmirched my reputation in front of all Ackanomia.

I posted my limerick a while ago... Here it is again:

H.C. once detestably designed,
To slander harf's image -- He opined:
"Harf is far from the best,"
(And it was not a jest),
The claim was opprobrious and unkind.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 10:27:42 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 375 (snowgod)

> > Anyone else find this argument almost impossible to read, let alone
> > understand?
> > 
> > 
> >                                    - Vynd
> 
> A bit tricky, but I think I get it.
> 
> I don't follow his math; with K players supporting the attempt and 
> N+1 members, I'd have thought the equation was if K/(N+1)>=2/3 then 
> the attempt succeeds, but I haven't checked out the rule and it 
> doesn't matter anyway. 
> 
> If I've understood, the problem is deciding with finality,
> publically knowability and all that. Only Da Godfather recieves
> attempts to join the Narfalones, no outsider (eg a CFJ judge) can
> rule on whether 2/3 of the members have supported the attempt to
> overthrow the Godfather, since they have no way of knowing which
> players are members. Apologies to Malenkai if I've misunderstood.
> 
> Bascule
 
The problem is solved if the Godfather proves his power. By showing 
that more then 1/3 of the members of the Narfalones still follows his 
commands and protect him.

That's just my thoughts. 
But most still the most simple thing to do is change the rules into something more 
understandable :)

CarsesraC

 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:28:26 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Misc: Phoebe 

The faint smell of anger, now, but receding, no longer so pungent as before;
I had wandered away from the main streets of town and soon found myself
peering into an altogether different kind of darkness: the Wilds of
Ackanomia had found me. The moon dared not cast light here, for fear of what
we might see, and so I felt my way along the path, creeping as quietly as
possible through the inky dark.

After a few minutes of this hunted wandering, I came upon a clearing, bathed
in the soft trickle of starlight. In the distance, the sound of crickets
could be heard, a quiet serenade to counterpoint the beating of my heart at
the lovely sight. All around me it seemed there were stars - I could not
begin to count them, and I dared not profane the beauty of this place by
speaking. I looked up and peered into the vast infinity of creation. Silent.
I sat in the soft emerald clearing, and wept silently. Above me the heavens
wheeled

Because of my tears, I did not trust what I saw - but it seemed that one of
the stars had fallen from the sky, to land in the clearing, twinkling
merrily. I smiled at the peacefulness of it, then wondered: was it a falling
star? I stood and approached, afraid to dispel the dream by finding only dew
reflected the true starlight. But when I bent to examine it, I found a
matchbox, made of a metallic substance, which flared with light as I picked
it up, and then died to a dull gray. I fell to the ground again, and placed
the matchbox in the grass.

A figure emerged.

Though I had never met her, I knew at a glance it was Phoebe. I sat
silently, listening. And after a moment of silence (perhaps she, too, was
savoring the beauty of this place), she spoke.

"There's still much to be done here, You can call me Al. But I wonder if
you'll be the one to do it...I wonder sometimes if Ackanomia is far closer
to being carved in stone than cast in bits and bytes." She sighed. "I will
tell you something now, and you must listen well. Acka is slowing down, that
much is obvious. We won't delude ourselves." Her tone was growing steadily
less quiet, and the trees whispered with her. "There are many things to do
here, but the work of any one person pales to what is necessary to change
the structure of Acka beyond the merely cosmetic. These Rules of yours are a
wonderful creation, yes - but we don't create for ourselves. You must be
willing, at some point, to turn your back on pride and fundamentally change
your perceptions of this creation; only in that way can we truly make progress."

I sat stunned by her words - they seemed too dark to be hers. But I peered
into the sky and realized that she was right.

"Why are you telling me this?" I whispered. "I'm barely qualified to _speak_
about Acka."

I thought she smiled - I still do to this day. "Go and tell everyone. These
are good people, and they're doing good things - but it's not good WORK.
It's good PLAY. Make sure that _everyone_ understands that distinction."

She retreated into her matchbox, and then turned once more to speak. Light
welled up around her, and I shielded my eyes from the glare. I heard
faintly, as if from far away, words: "If Acka were a boat...well, you know
the old saying."

I didn't, but that didn't matter. The last thing I remember was a falling
star, which seemed strangely not to fall at all, but to twinkle once and
then appear again in the heavens, where its light illuminated my little
clearing. I smiled once, and fell into the sleep of dreams. When I awoke,
stars were falling all around me.

Like rain.
                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:28:30 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Phoebe 

There's something hallowed about writing the wisdom of Phoebe, it seems -
whereas I had no problem turning Phil into a gangster-type insect, Phoebe is
something entirely different. I genuinely enjoyed that - I hope it's all right.

Al
                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:57:08 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: EBS

Vynd has won the EBS auction with a high bid of A$75.  This
changes the BV value at the museum.

#award Vynd : -75 A$, +evil ballot stuffer : Auction

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:14:58 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Vynd)

Vynd has been fortunate enough to find Phoebe's Matchbox

#transfer You can call me Al , Vynd: Phoebe's Matchbox

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:26:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc: Phoebe

You can call me Al posted Phoebe's wisdom:
> She retreated into her matchbox, and then turned once more to speak. Light
> welled up around her, and I shielded my eyes from the glare. I heard
> faintly, as if from far away, words: "If Acka were a boat...well, you know
> the old saying."
> 
> I didn't, but that didn't matter. 

If Acka were a boat, it would have sunk many months ago, due to all the
holes in it. :-)  Fortunately Acka is more resilient than a boat -- but
a couple times, long before you joined, we thought the boat was sinking.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:47:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

> >I've been sitting here on the steps of the Senate for days,  waiting with
> >a perfectly good limerick.  It's time to put up or shut up.  Either give
> >me your best shot,  or I demand an appology,  for the shameless way you
> >have besmirched my reputation in front of all Ackanomia.
> I posted my limerick a while ago... Here it is again:
	[snip]
	Guys, I think the problem is we don't have a GamesMaster to count 
our votes.  If one of you would like to take that office, it's an easy 
A$ 25 a month.  Probably the most fun Functional Office in the game, even 
if there is a lot of impatience to deal with (unfortunately).  Any 
takers?

- -- 
Mohammed
At the University of Upstate New York at Buffalo, a slick zebra with its
head in the clouds nuked hordes of squids.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:49:24 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

Mohammed wrote:

>         Guys, I think the problem is we don't have a GamesMaster to count
> our votes.  If one of you would like to take that office, it's an easy
> A$ 25 a month.  Probably the most fun Functional Office in the game, even
> if there is a lot of impatience to deal with (unfortunately).  Any
> takers?

I believe /dev/joe is the GamesMaster.  My G&C reorg, if accepted, will
eliminate the office, though.  I think the real problem here is that
since one of the participants is an observer, its not being conducted
in accordance with the rules (which is ok I guess, but no scoring can
result from it, and the procedure really need not be followed; its not
really a duel)

This is the duel with HC right?

Malenkai
not an Expert on this duel

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1937

>> Proposal 1937
>> Fixing a Lacuna in the Crystal Chalice Rule
> 
>> with the following text:
>> 
>> "
>> The Purple Key may remain in the possession of any Player for any
>> length of time, subject to the following conditions:
>> 
>> 1. The current Cycle has not ended.
> 
> I wonder about this wording.  I think "The Cycle in which that player
> received the Purple Key has not ended.", or something similar, may
> be less problematic.

Curses. I was going to change that as well, but it slipped my mind.

I am retracting proposal 1937.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:25:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

Malenkai wrote:
> Mohammed wrote:
> >         Guys, I think the problem is we don't have a GamesMaster to count
> > our votes.  If one of you would like to take that office, it's an easy
> > A$ 25 a month.  Probably the most fun Functional Office in the game, even
> > if there is a lot of impatience to deal with (unfortunately).  Any
> > takers?
> 
> I believe /dev/joe is the GamesMaster.  

This is correct.  And I note that Malenkai's G&C reorg will eliminate the
office before I ever get paid, unless that fictionary game drags on much
longer than it should.

> I think the real problem here is that since one of the participants
> is an observer, its not being conducted in accordance with the rules
> (which is ok I guess, but no scoring can result from it, and the
> procedure really need not be followed; its not really a duel)
> 
> This is the duel with HC right?

The real problem here is that I have not seen HC's limerick yet, although
RS has posted his twice now.  (Well, also that it's not a real duel, but
I'll count votes for the pseudo-duel just the same.  I'm not bothering to
see that the duel follows the rules on time limits and such, since it
already isn't following the rules.)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:55:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: membership requests

I just realized another side effect of my Undeath.
I would like to rejoin (None yet).  I realize the process for this has 
become somewhat convoluted since my passage.

Also, I would like to regain membership and priesthood in the Church of 
the Markovian Dream.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:10:31 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: membership requests 

>I just realized another side effect of my Undeath.
>I would like to rejoin (None yet).  I realize the process for this has
>become somewhat convoluted since my passage.
>
>Also, I would like to regain membership and priesthood in the Church of
>the Markovian Dream.
>
>Guy Fawkes

On behalf of the Church I accept Guy Fawkes request and appoint him a preist.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:21:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel 

>Mohammed wrote:
>
>>         Guys, I think the problem is we don't have a GamesMaster to count
>> our votes.  If one of you would like to take that office, it's an easy
>> A$ 25 a month.  Probably the most fun Functional Office in the game, even
>> if there is a lot of impatience to deal with (unfortunately).  Any
>> takers?
>
>I believe /dev/joe is the GamesMaster.  My G&C reorg, if accepted, will
>eliminate the office, though.  I think the real problem here is that
>since one of the participants is an observer, its not being conducted
>in accordance with the rules (which is ok I guess, but no scoring can
>result from it, and the procedure really need not be followed; its not
>really a duel)
>
>This is the duel with HC right?
>
>Malenkai
>not an Expert on this duel

Yeah it is.  As roberts Sevin's second, I would count the votes if anyone
wants me to.  I promise to be fair and not skew the votes towards Habeous
Corpus's total and complete vanquishment.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:38:53 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: internomic: P322 

There is a new internomic Proposal, number 322.  It is an idea that (None
Yet) has been bouncing around for quite awhile.  I thank Malenkai for
finally submitting it (perhaps he'd care to share his seven points with the
fellow noneytters :)

I hereby initiate a senate vote on P322.  Its internomic voting period ends
in two weeks or when all members have voted.

snowgod
Ambassador

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

P322

Amend rule 215 to read:

"
      The voting members of this Nomic are: Ackanomic, Agora, Thring,
Pumpkin Patch Nomic, Micronomic II, and InterNomic. The moderator
maintains a list of non-voting members.
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule with the following text:

"
InterNomic's Liaison to InterNomic is InterNomic.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:41:32 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: internomic: P322 

[Sorry for flooding you mailboxes.  I have to send this again because I
sent it with an innapropriate subject line on the last try.  Please excuse
my complete and utter failure. :)]

There is a new internomic Proposal, number 322.  It is an idea that (None
Yet) has been bouncing around for quite awhile.  I thank Malenkai for
finally submitting it (perhaps he'd care to share his seven points with the
fellow noneytters :)

I hereby initiate a senate vote on P322.  Its internomic voting period ends
in two weeks or when all members have voted.

snowgod
Ambassador

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

P322

Amend rule 215 to read:

"
      The voting members of this Nomic are: Ackanomic, Agora, Thring,
Pumpkin Patch Nomic, Micronomic II, and InterNomic. The moderator
maintains a list of non-voting members.
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule with the following text:

"
InterNomic's Liaison to InterNomic is InterNomic.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:42:30 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: internomic: P322

snwogod wrote:

> There is a new internomic Proposal, number 322.  It is an idea that (None
> Yet) has been bouncing around for quite awhile.  I thank Malenkai for
> finally submitting it (perhaps he'd care to share his seven points with the
> fellow noneytters :)

Let's see if it scores 7 points first ;-)

Malenkai
(None Yet)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:51:11 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Passover 

Passover is tommorow (maybe today where Niccolo is?) I had originally
planned to call a holiday, as our jewish players, myself included, may be
spending some time away from the computers, and with our families.  I have
decided not to do this.

However, I ask all Ackanomians to not make any mention of bread for one
week.  Breadbox, I'm sorry, but unless you want to be vanquished by Niccolo
Flychuck or Myself in a duel, you are going to have to be matzobox or
unleavenedbreadboy or something.  Thse things happens, you know.

snowgod

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #57
******************************