Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #47
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, April 14 1997        Volume 02 : Number 047

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:43:04 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SBoC Random OC determination

Malenkai used the spell book of Chorg to create an Otzma Card. It turned
out to be a Card of type Fix My Gadget. It's OCID is 121

Niccolo Flychuck
Rune Maker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:45:09 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SBoC

The Foul Owl Card created in this manner has OCID 122
Niccolo Flychuck
Rune Maker

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> being the next calendar week, 
> 
> I am reading page two of my Spell Book of Chorg, as I do so, the page
> is consumed in a pillar of black flame that is rising from the
> Palace of Yil.  The dice server shall determine the Oztma Card I
> get.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:45:47 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rental

So noted.

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> I ack the terms of this rental.
> Guy Fawkes
> 
> On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > I offer to rent the 'Tarzan' Swinger's office I have to Guy 
> > Fawkes for a period of 9999 days, for a rental fee of A$1.
> > 
> > Malenkai
> > 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #46
> ******************************
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:18:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Otzma Cards

I have created the following Otzma Cards using the Probablistic Method

OCID 123 Tactical Retreat
OCID 124 Share My Expenses
OCID 125 Share your Income

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:20:01 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Otzma Card Auction

I am initiating public Auctions on Otzma Cards
 OCID 120 Map Shard
 OCID 123 Tactical Retreat
 OCID 124 Share My Expenses
 OCID 125 Share Your Income

Niccolo Flychuck
Rune Maker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:39:56 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Customs Officer random determination

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>
>
>Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
>Rolls also sent to:
>    [email-masked]
>
># I am using the dice server to determine who is Customs Officer
># even = Malenkai, odd = snowgod
># join me on IRC
># Malenkai
>
>No. of sides on every die:     40
>No. of dice for every roll:     1
>No. of dice rolls requested:    1
>No. of rolls per line:          1
>
>     37

Hmm... Malenkai, if you want to win anything, I select you find a
diufferent Dice Server.  This one loves me too much.  Anyway, thank you all
(well the four of you and the dice server :) for electing me customs
officer.

In my first act as Customs Officer, I am declaring Pumpkin Patch Nomic to
be a Trade Partner of Ackanomic, having found that they havbe similar ETP
rules.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:43:16 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: For Sale 

>The first person to give me A$45 and tell me the capital of Estonia
>gets an Otzma Card of type 'Fix my Gadget', if they want it.  Each
>subsequent player who gives me A$45 will be told the capital of
>both Latvia and Lithuania, whether they want it or not.
>
>Malenkai

I am giving Malenkai A$45 and whipering "Tallinn" in his ear.

snowgod
of baltic heritage

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:44:42 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Oops, New Finances 

Oops, forgot the new financial bit... Any, here goes:

#transfer snowgod, Malenkai : A$45 : possible purchase of otzma

Did I do this right?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 23:11:22 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SOme of You Will Appreciate This 

Be forewarned... This message has nothing to do with Ackanomic.  Anyway,
someone sent this too me and I thought I'd pass it along.  It's how I feel
after working with UserTalk all yesterday.

snowgod

>
>PROGRAMMERS' DRINKING SONG:
>
>100 little bugs in the code,
>100 bugs in the code,
>Fix one bug, compile it again,
>101 little bugs in the code.
>
>101 little bugs in the code.....
>(Repeat until BUGS = 0)
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 23:27:28 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Two New Players 

Our numbers havce increased by three today.  First Guy Fawkes returned, and
now we have two new players.

In my left hand I have long time observer Ross Morgan-Linial who hails from
[email-masked].  He has chosen Antimatter as his Ackanomic name.
So of you may know him from IRC as Anti.  Anyhow, I have been selected as
his Mentor.

In response to the Market Research Question, Antimatter writes:

>I'm a member of two other Nomics, NeoNomic and Agora. I found out
>about Ackanomic from the Nomic FAQ, while looking for Suber's initial
>ruleset.
>Is there anything else I need to tell you?

In my right hand I have Alexandre Muniz, who's email address is
[email-masked].  He has chosen two-star as his Ackanomic name.
I've always wanted to say of a new player "two-star enjoys surfing,
counting his toes and growing grapes" but in this case that would be
completely untrue, so I won't.  Malenkai has been selected as his mentor.

In respponse to the market research question, two-star writes:

> From the link to Party Chess on the Chess Variant pages.

I guess we need to thank Niccolo Flychuck for this one.  Anyway, please
join me in giving both Antimatter and two-star a warm ackanomic welcome.
And maybe a group-hug, like they do in the patch.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 23:30:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Registrars page 

The registrars page is out of date.  I trying to write a script that will
update  it as I update the information in my bot, but we'll have to see
what happens with it.Right now I'm really busy trying to get the final
revision of Thanatopsis done.  Anyway, I'll update it as soon as is humanly
possible.  If you need some information off of it that is not there, just
send me email and I will pass along whatever you need to know.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:46:31 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Customs Officer

I know there was something I forgot to do :)

> Voting for Customs Officer was as follows.  Once again a tie between
> myself and snowgod to be determined by the luck of the dice server.
> 

I call for new elections between Malenkai and snowgod. 
Im not sure if a call for new elections is against the rules or 
customs, but its time for a new rule around ties. 

<CarsesraC>

A returned player that have never been undead.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:29:54 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: For Sale

snowgod wrote:

> I am giving Malenkai A$45 and whipering "Tallinn" in his ear.

Well, I appreciate the gift :).  I'll take it as a consolation
prize for losing those elections to a rigged dice server.  As
promised, the capital of Latvia is Riga, and the capital of
Lithuania is Vilnius.

Malenkai
sorry - couldn't resist :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:32:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Otzma Card Auction

The Runemaker wrote:

> I am initiating public Auctions on Otzma Cards
>  OCID 120 Map Shard

>  OCID 124 Share My Expenses
>  OCID 125 Share Your Income

I bid A$3 on 120 and 124, A$1 on 125.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:55:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Otzma Card Auction

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, The Stingy Bidder wrote:

> The Runemaker wrote:
> 
> > I am initiating public Auctions on Otzma Cards
> >  OCID 120 Map Shard
> 
> >  OCID 124 Share My Expenses
> >  OCID 125 Share Your Income
> 
> I bid A$3 on 120 and 124, A$1 on 125.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

I bid A$10 on 120 and 124, A$8 on 125

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:12:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Supreme Court

Sorry to see you leave the bench.  *I* felt pretty good about your
decisions.

- -mr cwm

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

>I hereby resign as Supreme Court Justice.
>I can't do work *and* keep up with the rules.  :o)
>
>I had a great time and wish whoever replaces me feels consistently better 
>about their decisions than I have.
>
>-- Mohammed
>Ex-Supreme Court Justice
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:16:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 364 Verdict (mr cwm, snowgod ??)

In the matter of CFJ 364, the Supreme Court, consisting entirely of
[mr cwm], returns a unanimous decision of UNDECIDED.

This presents a potentially sticky wicket.  First of all let me opine
that the fact that this has been in the justice system forever, and may 
remain there forever does not let the Wrangler off the hook; if not
releasing the GAD results is against the rules, then we must deal with
it, if following the rules is a problem, tough tomatoes, that is what 
nomic is all about.  Who knows, someone may have an intricate scam hinging
on the results of GAD being released on time.  Of course, if there are
no rules saying the results must be released in a timely manner, all bets
are off.

Now, onto the problem.   From R 218:

> Upon a verdict of "Undecided" being ruled by a *judge* [my emphasis],
> the following will take place. [ ... description of jury trial].

I'm fairly certain that game custom has established an equivelancy 
between "judge" and "Supreme Court" in these sorts of renderings, but that
is not necessarily true.  In this case, however, it is publically knowable
that in fact a single *judge* did make the ruling (if you render "judge"
as 'one who adjudicates' *or* render 'Justice' == 'judge'), thus I am
assuming that this verdict leads to the trial by jury procedure.  I see
the dubiousness of this and the counterargument, however, having been
through that 'decision of the President' equivelancy business.

So I will assume that thread; R 218 details the trial by jury process.
In this case, snowgod is the 'Prosaecuter', and mr cwm shall select a
'Consaecuter'.  If you disagree with this opinion, (and either 
interpretation has flaws), CFJ it.  If there seems doubt, I will select
another judge within the 3 day time 'speed' period in the other thread.

As for tardiness penalties:

#award mr cwm : - 15 A$ : tardy on CFJ 364
 
Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 364
  Subject: Farmyard Animals
Initiator: snowgod
    Judge: Techno (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (deferred to Supreme Court)
3rd Judge: Supreme Court (assigned Apr 01, 1997, 10:51 EST)
Judgement: UNDECIDED
4th Judge: Jury (preceedings initiated Apr 14, 1997, 13:16h EDT)

Statement:

ThinMan grabbed breadbox's donkey.

snowgod's Reasoning:

I am agreeable to either a verdict of TRUE or FALSE.  I just wanted to get
this cleared up.  I suppose it is a timing issue.  Breadbox grabbed
Malenkai's Little Lamb and ThinMan attempted to grab breadbox's donkey.  If
the events happen simultaniously, does that mean the breadbox already has
the lamb at the time thinman makes his grab attempt?

I honestly don't know and will leave it up to a judge to decide.

Supreme Court's Reasoning:

The Court finds R1213 (Grab-A-Donkey) silent on the question of whether
the Little Lamb is grabbed before, after, or simultaneously with, the
grabbing of Donkeys.  It turns, then, to Game Custom, whereupon it finds
none, as might be expected with a relatively narrow issue (such as this)
which has never before arisen.  Finally, and in Desperation, it looks to
the Spirit of the Game, which is a modicum of help, in that it finds
grabbing the Little Lamb simultaneously with Donkeys to Violate the Spirit
of the Game by making Grab-A-Donkey unplayable.  However it finds
Grab-A-Donkey to be an equally good game whether the Little Lamb is
grabbed before or after Donkeys are grabbed.  Thus, the Court has no legal
basis on which to choose one procedure over the other, and (refusing, of
course, to choose on an illegal basis) must return a decision of
UNDECIDED.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:27:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: R 211.1 Hearing result

In the matter of rule 211.1, the vote is for 2.  (It was a tie
between 2 and 3, but the hearing rule specifies the first choice
wins ties)

1) The Judicial system is fine the way it is
Mohammed
snowgod

2) We should allow the Justices the option to decline to sit on
certain CFJs
Malenkai
/dev/joe
breadbox
ThinMan

3) We should not permit the Justices to sit on their own CFJs
Bascule
Vynd
fnord
mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:29:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 368 Verdict

CFJ 368 has been judged INVALID.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 368
  Subject: Single Nouns
Initiator: IdiotBoy
    Judge: Ackers (selected Mar 31, 1997, 19:14h EST)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (assigned Apr 09, 1997, 20:42h EDT)
Judgement: INVALID

Statement:

For the purposes of Rule 596 (Mad Scientist), a capitalized entity is a
"single noun."

IdiotBoy's Reasoning:

This hasn't quite come up yet, but I want some clarification before it
potentially does.

If someone brings the Mad Scientist a part from the rules related to the Fat
Lady, can they claim that they wish to replace "Fat Lady" with
<monster-name>?

I personally, believe they can, but I'd like something definitive.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

Rule 596 makes no mention of "single noun[s]."  IB presumably meant
Rule 597 (Frankenstein Monsters), but given that he specified the
rule title as well, no rule allows me second guess him.  Even if I
could interpret the statement as pertaining to R 597, I know of no
rule-based, or even customary, interpretation of a "capitalized
entity."  I assume that I know what IB was trying to say, but you all
know what that makes out of u and me.  It seems most reasonable, given
these circumstances, to judge INVALID.

Rule 597 really is pretty unclear on the matter anyway; I think a better

approach would be to amend that rule to say that proper nouns are
considered to be "single nouns" for the purpose of that rule.  In the
past I have been careful to select parts that do not fall into this
fuzzy area.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:37:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 364 Verdict (mr cwm, snowgod ??)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> In the matter of CFJ 364, the Supreme Court, consisting entirely of
> [mr cwm], returns a unanimous decision of UNDECIDED.
> 

This is /exactly/ the sort of crises we see every day with this snowgod
administration.

IB
going to look up the jury rules, again.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:43:23 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Potato and Aliens

> ThinMan receives the magic potato and is beldin's tailer.
> 
Holy french fries, Batman!

It is with great reverence -- indeed, awe -- that I accept the Magic
potato for the first time in more than a year of play.  I note that,
unlike the last fifteen-month-old potato I had, this one is still
firm and smooth, whithout any unsightly eyes.  It must be because of
the magic.  Anyway, in hopes of cultivating a better relationship
with the Special Spud, I shall be carrying it with me wherever I go.
In fact, I think I shall name it "George," and hug it and squeeze it
and keep it for my very own pet and -- OUCH!  Somebody left a needle
stuck in this thing!

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:45:54 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tailoring

Pusuant to Rule 939 (Beldin's Tailor), I am amending Rule 940 (Beldin's
Pants) by changing the word "rules" to the word "Praetor."

ThinMan
Beldin's Tailor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:43:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 368 Verdict

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> CFJ 368 has been judged INVALID.
> 
> 
> approach would be to amend that rule to say that proper nouns are
> considered to be "single nouns" for the purpose of that rule.  In the
> past I have been careful to select parts that do not fall into this
> fuzzy area.
> 

Hehehehe, I haven't.  =P

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:05:45 -0700
From: Nicole Bell <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: carriage returns

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC48C9.D7454A00
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Sorry about the situation but sources have informed me that there is =
nothing I can do regarding carriage returns. You must have Netscape =
navigator while I have Microsoft explorer and I send my mail using this. =
You must be using Netscape navigator to read Microsoft mail base info. =
This is something Microsoft did on purpose to make it difficult for =
people to use Netscape to convert to Miscrosoft (being the power-hungry =
swine that they are and all...) I don't think there is anything I can do =
on my end, at least not that I am aware of.  Or, I could just be =
clueless......

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Matt Miller [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, April 04, 1997 4:14 PM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	RE: Acka: New Observer

Ermmm, I guess I get to be the jerkyboy this time around.  Is there =
anyway you could get your mailer to throw in some carriage returns, =
Nicole? And maybe not MIME encode everything?  It makes it hard for me =
to read and respond to your emails.
IB
begging forgiveness for being mean to the new people=20
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Nicole Bell wrote:
>=20
>=20
> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Nicole Bell=20
> Sent:	Friday, April 04, 1997 3:18 PM
> To:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	RE: Acka: New Observer
>=20
> Well, (hmmm...) I guess I'm flattered, although to be honest, I have =
really have no clue to the structure of this game, and I consider myself =
to be a fairly intelligent person. I'm still "testing the waters" at =
this point...=20
>=20
>=20
>  =20
>=20
> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Mitchell Harding [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, April 03, 1997 7:45 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: Acka: New Observer
>=20
> >I, for one, am in shock that there's a female observer. And I offer =
$50 for
> >3PFNicole (why not?)
>=20
> I'll offer A$40 for 2 PFNicole, if and when she joins.
>=20
> Robert Sevin
>=20
>=20

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC48C9.D7454A00
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC48C9.D7454A00--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 368 Verdict

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > CFJ 368 has been judged INVALID.
> > 
> > 
> > approach would be to amend that rule to say that proper nouns are
> > considered to be "single nouns" for the purpose of that rule.  In the
> > past I have been careful to select parts that do not fall into this
> > fuzzy area.
> > 
> 
> Hehehehe, I haven't.  =P
> 

As Mad Scientist, I am prohibited from commenting on the on going
blueprint.  

IB
sneering at Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:54:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: carriage returns

Actually, I am using PINE (a UNIX email client), which I /thought/ was
smart enough to plop those CRs in for me in quoting. (It does fine
displaying to the screen since I made some changes)

I would have sworn that MS had an option ins their mail programs to insert
line breaks at n columns.

Ah, well.

IB
jerkyboy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:58:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Official: Finances, Bond-Harfing

Assorted Official Stuff, correction of an error.

1. I forgot to deduct A$1 from the creator of Beldin's Pants (Malenkai)
Thursday at noon.  Financier, please note.

#award Malenkai: -1 A$: beldin's pants Apr 10 noon

2. Bond-Harfer's Report.
There was no change in score between the resetting of scores to eggplant
weights at the start of cycle 13 and the end of the bond cycle today,
so all dividends were zero.

3. By my calculations, Antimatter's starting cash was A$977
(A$22454 spread among 23 players), then snowgod got $A25 as mentor,
then two-star got starting cash of A$978 (A$23456 / 24 players)
and then Malenkai got A$25 as mentor.

#award Antimatter: +977 A$: starting cash Apr 14 04:27 EDT
#award Antimatter: +100 PFAntimatter: starting bonds Apr 14 04:27 EDT
#award snowgod: +25 A$: mentor Apr 14 04:27 EDT
#award two-star: +978 A$: starting cash Apr 14 04:27 EDT
#award two-star: +100 PFtwo-star: starting bonds Apr 14 04:27 EDT
#award Malenkai: +25 A$: mentor Apr 14 04:27 EDT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 364 Verdict (mr cwm, snowgod ??)

To:   Ackanomians
From: Justice mr cwm

I'm beginning to think snowgod should have claimed a paradox win on this
one.

Be that as it may, it would be helpful to know who disagrees with:

"ThinMan grabbed breadbox's donkey."

so a most appropriate Consecutor may be selected.  Let me know if you'd
like to be considered.

And it was worth the A$15 to get to see a Jury Trial :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:16:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Duel!

In honor of the impending duel, I am going to show off my prejudices.  I
will walk over to the field of honor, kisses Habeous Corpus on the head
and wish him luck.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:51:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oops, New Finances

> #transfer snowgod, Malenkai : A$45 : possible purchase of otzma
> 
> Did I do this right?

	Very close... the bot wants 45 A$ rather than A$45.  hm.  Maybe 
there's a workaround for that..

- -- 
Mohammed
In six states, a horde of amorphous farm boys nuked only a few cosmic rude
macaws.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:05:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Justice breadbox confirmed

The senate has confirmed breadbox as a Justice by a unanimous 3-0 vote.

/dev/joe
Senator

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:13:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  pay

I am giving /dev/joe A$ 25 for keeping me afloat.

#transfer mohammed, /dev/joe : 25 A$ : help - Apr 14 17:12

- -- 
Mohammed
In six states, a horde of amorphous farm boys nuked only a few cosmic rude
macaws.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:16:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1917

There is no P1917.  I accidentally ran the mail through the bot twice.

- -- 
Mohammed
In six states, a horde of amorphous farm boys nuked only a few cosmic rude
macaws.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:21:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 364 Verdict (mr cwm, snowgod ??)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> In the matter of CFJ 364, the Supreme Court, consisting entirely of
> [mr cwm], returns a unanimous decision of UNDECIDED.
> 
> This presents a potentially sticky wicket.  First of all let me opine
> that the fact that this has been in the justice system forever, and may 
> remain there forever does not let the Wrangler off the hook; if not
> releasing the GAD results is against the rules, then we must deal with
> it, if following the rules is a problem, tough tomatoes, that is what 
> nomic is all about.  Who knows, someone may have an intricate scam hinging
> on the results of GAD being released on time.  Of course, if there are
> no rules saying the results must be released in a timely manner, all bets
> are off.

Personally, after reviewing the history of the case, I belive the Supreme 
Court's UNDECIDED verdict to be correct, although the rules do not 
presently allow it to remain at that.

The GAD rules, do however allow the Wrangler an out, although it would be 
a rather drastic one.  If he were to go on Vacation for the minimum two 
days allowed by the rules, he would no longer be Wrangler.  At this 
point, the game could either be revived from its last publically knowable 
game state -- before the nondeterminstic round -- or allowed to die.  At any 
rate, I urge the indeterminism be fixed posthaste.  If someone does not 
submit this amendment within the next few days, I will myself.

Also, the matter of who has the little lamb can be easily fixed by 
someone claiming it.  As a side effect, this clears up the "The legality 
of the the action: ThinMan buys a Wool Sweater; cannot be determined with 
finality." indeterminism, which I would currently judge TRUE on the 
grounds that, as the Supreme Court's reasoning indicates, there is no 
legal basis to decide between the possible game states.

Guy Fawkes 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:21:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: returning home

After spending nearly two days in the Museum, admiring the huge pile
of prosthetic foreheads which repesents my win in cycle 12, and
staring at the incredible wonder of Guy Fawkes reappearing in the
middle of the Museum yesterday(*), I leave the Museum and return to my
home.

(*) Guy Fawkes was in the Museum when he left the game, so by the
"Locations" rule he returns there.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:18:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Transfer

Oh well, trying to do two things in one message.  I give Bascule the
Helm of Impending Vanquishment, assuming I have it.

#transfer Malenkai, Bascule: Helm of Impending Vanquishment

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:27:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 372 (Robert Sevin)

Robert Sevin has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 372
  Subject: IRC
Initiator: /dev/joe
    Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Apr 14, 1997, 18:27h EDT)
Judgement:

  If it can be verified that all non-Vacationing players are on IRC,
  on the same server and the same channel at the same time, anything
  anybody says openly on that channel is a public message.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

  See CFJ 366, and the 4th paragraph of rule 422.

  I don't expect the situation in the statement to happen, but it's
  intended as a proof of principle.  If this is true, then anything that
  requires private messages should also be possible over IRC when the
  involved players are connected.

  I want to allow for G&C Games which are too long for practical e-mail
  play to be quickened by the use of IRC for some of the messages.
  In particular, Spades is a fine game, but a typical game might take
  8 hands, with 56 public messages (4 bids, 52 card plays) required for
  each hand!  [I've played in a real life spades game, with rules
  essentially the same as ones in our G&C Spades, which took 17 hands,
  but that's extreme.]  The bids and card plays can be replaced by
  messages to all the other players and the referee, with public
  messages being required to announce only the beginning of the game
  and the results when it is over.  If this CFJ is judged true I will
  propose the appropriate amendment to Spades.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:38:28 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel (my limerick) 

>It's LIMERICKS AT 40 PACES, my friend! May the best man win!

H.C. once detestably designed,
To slander harf's image -- He opined:
"Harf is far from the best,"
(And it was not a jest),
The claim was opprobrious and unkind.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:46:19 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 372 (Robert Sevin) 

>Robert Sevin has been chosen.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Call For Judgement 372
>  Subject: IRC
>Initiator: /dev/joe
>    Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Apr 14, 1997, 18:27h EDT)
>Judgement:

I accept the CFJ and will return judgement shortly.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:47:35 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Purple Robe of Justice

> BTW, I note that the Purple Robe of Justice doesn't really do anything
> for me now as a Justice. I would hardly be offended if someone took it
> away. Its current value is A$167.
> 
> In the meantime I will continue to wear it, in the hopes that it will
> improve my presence at the bench.
> 
> breadbox

I hereby purchase the purple robe of justice.

Bascule

#transfer breadbox, Bascule: purple robe of justice: 14 April 
#transfer Bascule, breadbox: 167 A$: 14 April

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:49:39 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transfer

Malenkai wrote:
> Oh well, trying to do two things in one message.  I give Bascule the
> Helm of Impending Vanquishment, assuming I have it.
> 
> #transfer Malenkai, Bascule: Helm of Impending Vanquishment

Thank you Malenkai. I could have used this on Saturday. However, in 
my arrogance, I now feel that you have more need of it than I.

#transfer Bascule, Malenkai: Helm of Impending Vanquishment

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:50:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 373 (Vynd)

Vynd has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 373
  Subject: Creator
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Vynd (selected Apr 14, 1997, 18:50h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Malenkai is not the creator of Beldin's Pants.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Players can create trinkets and gadgets, but the rules generally create
most other entities.  Malenkai created proposal 1594 which created 
rule 1594.2 (at the time) which created Beldin's Pants.  Its a fine but
important distinction.  I think sometimes colloqially we say 'player X
created entity Y' when really 'player X created proposal Z which created
rule W which creates entity Y' for convienence, but such convienent 
figures of speech have no bearing on the rules or game custom.  'To 
create' is one of those verbs that has been given special operational
status by the rules, and general English renderings have no sway.  

- - From rule 500:

> An entity may not be created, destroyed, or manipulated except as
> specified by the Rules

The rules never specified a way for Malenkai to create the entity we 
know of as Beldin's Pants, they merely specified ways for Malenkai
to create a proposal, and for other entities to creare rule 1592.2.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:12:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 372 Verdict

CFJ 372 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 372
  Subject: IRC
Initiator: /dev/joe
    Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Apr 14, 1997, 18:27h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

  If it can be verified that all non-Vacationing players are on IRC,
  on the same server and the same channel at the same time, anything
  anybody says openly on that channel is a public message.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

  See CFJ 366, and the 4th paragraph of rule 422.

  I don't expect the situation in the statement to happen, but it's
  intended as a proof of principle.  If this is true, then anything that
  requires private messages should also be possible over IRC when the
  involved players are connected.

  I want to allow for G&C Games which are too long for practical e-mail
  play to be quickened by the use of IRC for some of the messages.
  In particular, Spades is a fine game, but a typical game might take
  8 hands, with 56 public messages (4 bids, 52 card plays) required for
  each hand!  [I've played in a real life spades game, with rules
  essentially the same as ones in our G&C Spades, which took 17 hands,
  but that's extreme.]  The bids and card plays can be replaced by
  messages to all the other players and the referee, with public
  messages being required to announce only the beginning of the game
  and the results when it is over.  If this CFJ is judged true I will
  propose the appropriate amendment to Spades.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

Rule 422 (Postmaster) requires that any public message meet 3 criteria:
1. 'it is distributed to all non-vacationing Players or it is sent to any
mailing list indicated as a public forum in the Postal Code'
2. 'any actions performed in the message obey all restrictions in the Postal
Code for that list'
3. 'the subject line contains either "Ackanomic:" or "Acka:"'

If all non-vacationing Players are on IRC (on the same server and channel)
simultaneously, all messages sent to the entire channel are clearly
distributed to all non-vacationing Players. Therefore the 1st requirement is
taken care of.

The Postal Code says nothing about IRC, and therefore the 2nd requirement is
met also.

The 3rd requirement could present a problem. I claim that the 3rd
requirement is not met. Consider the purpose of including "Acka" in the
subject line of a message -- for the most part, it was designed to allow for
efficient filtering of Ackanomic mail. On IRC the only filtering possible is
done by having separate channels, and by having the ability to talk
privately. Therefore I claim that the topic of a channel is the "subject
line" of the channel.

While I am forced to rule this CFJ false, I suggest that we adopt the
convention that the topic of a channel in IRC will be considered the subject
line for every message sent to all Players on that channel. If that is done,
it would be true to say that 'If it can be verified that all non-Vacationing
players are on IRC, on the same server and the same channel at the same
time, and the topic of the channel contains either "Ackanomic:" or "Acka:",
then anything anybody says openly on that channel is a public message.'
Finally, it might be useful to define what it means to be in a channel on
IRC -- lag beyond a certain level ought to qualify someone as no longer
being on IRC.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #47
******************************