Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #33
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, April 3 1997        Volume 02 : Number 033

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:38:22 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Newspapers

is published an article about the narfalones on march second or third.

snowgod

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> I do not believe Kolot Ackanomic published anything in the 
> month of March.  I am not sure about 'is'.  All other papers published
> some sort of bandwidth-wasting gizz.  If the publishers of the
> first two could confirm or deny this, we can see if they were destroyed
> or not.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 01:00:47 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Da Godfather's Morning Line 

In a message dated 97-04-01 10:43:26 EST, you write:

> >Da Godfather, who reminds all of Ackanomia that they must join the
Narfalone
>  >family if they wish to gamble.
>  
>  Really?  What a drag.  You'd think there'd be an opportunity for us
>  "decent" people to get in on a bit of the fun :)
>  
>  -mr cwm

Actualy, I've been considering building a casino where you "decent" <snicker>
folks could come and gamble, for a measly entrance price of A$5 or so.

Incidentaly, until someone claims otherwise, the bet between the Narfalone
family and Malenkai has been resolved in his favor, and he should get the
A$50.

Da Godfather.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:54:28 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : publishing tyranny

> > Perserve Newspaper Tyrrany!
> > Keep the flow of Bandwith Wasting Gizz trickling!
> 
> Feh. I have nothing against BWG, especially when it's only once a
> month. But newspaper articles empty of anything, save for a note that
> this article is necessary so that the paper will be around when
> something worth reporting actually comes along, demeans the newspaper.
> I'd rather let the players make exactly what they choose with their
> creations, so that they can entertain me to the best of their
> abilities.
> 
> Kill Newspaper Tyranny!
> Freedom of the Press!
> 
> breadbox
>
Here! Here!

Kolot actually published twice in Februar, I'd support replacing Newspaper
Tyranny with a simple loss of points.

As the former owner editor and owner of Kolot I am hereby anouncing that
Kolot will take an active part in the campaign of any candidate willing to
contribute to re establishing Kolot.
Following the elections, Kolot, should it be re established, willl
probably criticize itself, and the candidate for doing so.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 01:06:47 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Wilma problems

Something went bad here today; it looks like the problem started sometime
shortly after 3:45 PM CST, while I was at a research conference.  It looks
like processing of the outgoing mail queue died around that time, and
mail was still being accepted and run through majordomo but the outgoing
mail was just queued.

I didn't get back from my meeting until 9 PM, and then read the mail that
was waiting for me (about 8-10 new messages and 4 old ones I needed to do
some work on, including one new proposal); I did the work on these and
then left to do other things, not realizing mail wasn't working, and
perhaps briefly thinking it was a slow day (it *was* a slow day anyway,
from the looks of the mail log).  Anyway, I noticed there was a problem
when majordomo sent me mail at midnight, complaining about running out of
memory while trying to process the digests (it only managed to do the
digest for the main list, which appears to have been queued along with
all the rest of the undelivered mail and sent out after the reboot).
I looked and there were a zillion sendmails in a zombie state, from every
time it tried to process the outgoing queue since sometime early this
afternoon, as well as all the httpd's and some other stuff also zombified.
Anyway, I rebooted wilma.

I did see a report in the log of a hard disk reset and a failure to read
some inode block, so I was afraid the older of wilma's two hard disks
might be dying (shouldn't be, but could -- it's about two years old),
but on a reboot the filesystems checked out OK with only some minor errors
of the type typically caused by not shutting down properly (had to power
down manually; shutdown wasn't working either).

Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for problems.  All the queued mail on
wilma has been delivered except for Narf and Techno (aol was marked
as refusing connections and Techno's ISP is unreachable again).  It
was just a few messages that got delivered several hours late.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:18:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Presidential Debate

Herein are my answers to the debate questions. And remember my
campaign slogan: "If you aren't voting for breadbox, you're voting for
IdiotBoy or snowgod or Malenkai or abstaining."

1. What are you going to do to clean up our growing mafia problem?

As it turns out, I have already taken care of that. If you go back and
examine the last Spelling Bee flight, for which I supplied the data,
you'll see that all the spelling and grammatical problems in the rule
defining the growing Narfalone family have in fact been cleaned up.

But hey, if any more should crop up during my term, you can be sure
that I'll be right on it. That's a campaign promise.

2. How do you feel about the fact that one of the candidates for this
   office is running the debate?

Uhh.... Is it because do I feel about the fact that one of the
candidates for this office is running the debate that you came to me?

3. Igel urre-ak Euskara hitzegin daiteke?

(Boy, these debates sure do attract the weirdos, don't they?) Why
don't you ask the Golden Frog that instead of me? Like *I* could
answer that. Zeroa bat bi hiro lau bortz sei zazpi zortzi bederatzi,
that's all the Basque I know.

4. Why did you decide to run for president?

The lust for power. What other reason is there? Not for the
opportunity to answer thoughtful questions, I can tell you.

5. How do you feel about the following phrase "Tecno for President"?

How do I "feel" about it? What does that mean? How do *you* feel about
the phrase "colorless green ideas sleep furiously"? Or about the fact
that multiplication distributes over addition? I feel that the name is
probably misspelled; is that what you're looking for?

6. If elected, will you serve at the beck and call of techno?

That would depend on how much he paid me. The question I'm more
interested in is how much I would have to pay to have him serve at the
beck and call of myself.

7. Other than yourself, which candidate do you must support?

Nobody! Cripes! Do you think I'm running a charity here? I support ME
ME ME ME ME. If the other candidates want support, let 'em join a
group therapy session.

8. Have you ever been in Gaol?

Supposedly, although I can't for the life of me tell you what the
inside of my cell looked like.

9. Have you ever been burned as a witch?

Look, what *is* this? Haven't you people ever heard of a web browser?
I'm trying to run a presidential campaign, not a reference desk! If
you want to know if I've been burned or Enlightened or chewed the
Gumball or blissomed the Little Lamb, then go Look It Up Yourself!
Sheesh.

10. What will you do to make your term as President as harfy as
    possible?

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Zip-a-roonie. I intend to sit on my office and do
the absolute least amount of work I can get away with. Why, were you
expecting something else?

11. What do you think of the Crystal Chalice?

(Urgh, another one of *these* questions.) Uh, I think it would sound a
really nice F# if you rubbed a moistened finger around its lip.

12. Are you capable of doing (and willing to do) all the Acka work if a
    functional officer should suddenly resign?  Will you appoint
    replacements with astonishing speed?

Baby, I'll put replacements in there so fast it'll make your head
spin. I'll send press gangs down Yellow Roosevelt Avenue if I have to.
No way am *I* gonna take on any office with the word "Harfer" in it.
I'm probably capable of harfing my own shoelaces, and that's it.

13. What is your position on creeping slime mold?

My position on mold is already a matter of public record. See CFJ 283.

14. If you are walking down a hall of an office building and you find
    that someone's door is open (it's dark in there), do you believe
    it is ethical to go in and what would you do with their computer?

Is it ethical? Search me. I'm a politician, not a philosopher. As for
what I would do - well, the last time I was in such a position I sent
out a company-wide email from the VP of Marketing saying: "Attention!
Attention! Attention! I am wearing no pants!" Yes, it's juvenile, but
that phrase was a tradition among my collegiate friends, and old
habits die hard.

15. How do you feel about he issue of the sanctity of Harf, and its
    application to the inventor of harf?

Harf may have been discovered, and certainly the term "harf" was
coined. But nobody invented harf. Would you make reference to "the
inventor of irrelevancy"? Of course not. See, you wouldn't. Same thing
here. NEXT!

16. Do you see the President as having an active role in Ackanomic, or
    mostly as an exravagant figurehead?

Oh, definitely an extravagant figurehead. Consider our last few
presidents. What have they done while in office? How many
"presidential decisions" did they make? Pretty much all they've done
is paid for the sauce, delivered some bozo speeches, and maybe
initiated a pathetic little scandal or two. Wouldn't you say that
those were the hallmarks of an extravagant figurehead? I certainly
hope so. I'm gonna be pretty torqued if I get elected to office and
somebody asks me to actually *do* something.

17. What should we do with the postal code?

"Should" is such an authoritarian word. Don't you agree? I'd rather
ask myself, "What *can* we do with the postal code?" And, if I were
asked this question - a much more interesting question, to my mind - I
would answer, "I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a boat, or a bunny
rabbit, or even a cute little crane that moves its wings when you pull
on its head."

18. What would you like to see the government of Ackanomia, such as it
    is, do?

Oh, but to answer that question, we first have to ask, "Who, exactly,
*is* the government of Ackanomia"? And, when I ask myself this
question, I find the answer looking back at me. You are. All of you.
You, the people of Ackanomia, are the true government of our fair
land. This government, in which anyone can propose a rule making
emself the winner of a cycle, is truly a government by the people, for
the people, and of the people. And so, you see, the question you're
really asking me is: "What would I, as your representative, like to
see *you* do?" And to this question - a very important one, I might
add - I can only reply: "Give me all your points." That's all,
folks. Thanks for coming! And remember my campaign slogan: "If you
vote for breadbox, he might win the election."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 07:45:31 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vending Machine

Narf has won the vending machine auction with a high bid of 
A$ 150.

Apr 02 7:44 EST: -150 A$ Narf: Vending Machine auction
Apr 02 7:44 EST: +1 vendingmachine Narf: Vending Machine auction

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:28:35 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Prayer for Deliverance

Here is my April prayer for deliverance.

Buried treasure seekers,
Don't be discombobulated
The one I have buried
Is not unrecoverable.
The devoted hunter will
Try tricks unclassifiable.
If you need some more help
Mppl bu usfbtvsf pof gpvsuffo.

/dev/joe
Founder of the Church of Seleya

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:32:16 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 368 (Ackers)

> Ackers has been chosen.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 368
>   Subject: Single Nouns
> Initiator: IdiotBoy
>     Judge: Ackers (selected Mar 31, 1997, 19:14h EST)

I accept.
 
- ---
Ackers
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:58:15 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P1861 accepted (Trinket Destruction Amnesty Period)

>I'm destroying some of this junk I own; specifically, these 6 trinkets
>are being converted to their worth in A$:
>
>Pumpkin Patch (worth A$1)
>Thring (worth A$1)
>baa baa food (worth A$5)
>Little Bag O' Chips G (worth A$1)
>The Staff of the Scorekeeper/Postmaster/Demon King (worth A$10)
>Bond Bracelet (worth A$25)

  I am creating some trinkets:
Pumpkin Patch (Small, round, orange/green, worth A$1)
Thring (Small, ambiguously-shaped, worth A$1)

  And one more.  It's name is "The Crown of the Loop".  It's description
is "Large and bejewelled".  And it's value is A$-50,000.  I refer you to
paragraph three of R506/4, which reads:

>>>>>
  A player may create a Trinket by publically announcing its name,
description, and value, as long as the player has at least as many A$ as the announced
value. Upon doing so, the stated amount of A$ is transformed into the Trinket,
and the creating player becomes the owner of the Trinket. 
<<<<<

  Clearly, I have more than -A$50,000.  There is no other restriction
placed by the rule; paragraph twho does state:

>>>>>
Trinkets always have a value in positive A$.
<<<<<

  However, the trinket didn't exist prior to my creation of it, thus I'm
not violating the rules (whether my creation of it succeeds or not).
  Now, paragraph three uses the phrasing "the stated amount", not "the
value of the trinket"; thus A$-50,000 from my posession becomes The
Crown of the Loop.

  Alternatively, just in case it's later decided that as the rules stand,
the A$ come from an unspecified source, not from me, I am (after
the above is completed) creating another trinket, "The Sceptre of the
Thread", which is large and appropriate for flonking, and is worth
A$30,000.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:34:27 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P1861 accepted (Trinket Destruction Amnesty Period)

Red Barn wrote:
>   I am creating some trinkets:
> Pumpkin Patch (Small, round, orange/green, worth A$1)
> Thring (Small, ambiguously-shaped, worth A$1)

BOO, HISS!

>   And one more.  It's name is "The Crown of the Loop".  It's description
> is "Large and bejewelled".  And it's value is A$-50,000.  I refer you to
> paragraph three of R506/4, which reads:
> 
> >>>>>
>   A player may create a Trinket by publically announcing its name,
> description, and value, as long as the player has at least as many A$
> as the announced value. Upon doing so, the stated amount of A$ is
> transformed into the Trinket, and the creating player becomes the
> owner of the Trinket. 
> <<<<<
> 
>   Clearly, I have more than -A$50,000.  There is no other restriction
> placed by the rule; paragraph twho does state:
> 
> >>>>>
> Trinkets always have a value in positive A$.
> <<<<<
> 
>   However, the trinket didn't exist prior to my creation of it, thus I'm
> not violating the rules (whether my creation of it succeeds or not).
>   Now, paragraph three uses the phrasing "the stated amount", not "the
> value of the trinket"; thus A$-50,000 from my posession becomes The
> Crown of the Loop.

The creation fails, and you don't get A$50,000 added to your account, because
a trinket is defined to have a value in positive A$.  Anything that doesn't
have a value in positive A$, such as your "The Crown of the Loop" is not a
trinket, so the effects of the creation of a trinket do not apply.

>   Alternatively, just in case it's later decided that as the rules stand,
> the A$ come from an unspecified source, not from me, I am (after
> the above is completed) creating another trinket, "The Sceptre of the
> Thread", which is large and appropriate for flonking, and is worth
> A$30,000.

This one fails because you don't have the A$.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:07:04 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Org Action (Vulcan)

> Text of accepted proposal:
> 
> Proposal 1868
> Letting Organizations Accept Gifts
> /dev/joe
> Wed Mar 26 09:47:09 1997
> 
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> In Rule 515, "Trading and Gifts", change:
> 
>    "A Player who owns a gift entity may transfer that entity to
>     another Player by sending a public message announcing the
>     action."
> 
> to:
> 
>    "A Player or organization who owns a gift entity may transfer that
>     entity to another Player or organization as a public action."

With this change, it is now possible for new parties to get started,
because players can donate to the party the A$ it needs to buy a big tent
(or trade license, etc.)

It is still not possible for players to join organizations they are
not already part of (besides the founder being a member of a new org)
until P1882 passes. (So the new parties can't have the 3 members needed
to get a unity vote for a few more days.)

I am hereby donating A$1050 to Vulcan.

Vulcan is buying a Secret Laboratory.  Vulcan is buying a Trade License.  
These actions will take effect in 7 days if no member of Vulcan denounces
the action, or sooner if all members of Vulcan approve the actions.
I approve these actions.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:17:05 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Org Action (Vulcan)

I approve of this action
Niccolo Flychuck

Vulcan

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> 
> 
> I am hereby donating A$1050 to Vulcan.
> 
> Vulcan is buying aSecret Laboratory.  Vulcan is buying a Trade License.  
> These actions will take effect in 7 days if no member of Vulcan denounces
> the action, or sooner if all members of Vulcan approve the actions.
> I approve these actions.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:36:08 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : retracting 1884

#retract proposal 1884
#end

Retracting due to typos, will resubmit.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:57:23 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Org Action (Vulcan)

/dev/joe wrote:

> I am hereby donating A$1050 to Vulcan.
> 
> Vulcan is buying a Secret Laboratory.  Vulcan is buying a Trade
> License.  
> These actions will take effect in 7 days if no member of Vulcan
> denounces
> the action, or sooner if all members of Vulcan approve the actions.
> I approve these actions.
> 
I approve these actions.

ThinMan
member of Vulcan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 16:25:40 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Presidential Debate 

Bravo! Breadbox for President! Long may he...er, reign.

Al, Harfing in this Strange Design
                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:29:34 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Awards & Postal & Stuff

First, I am awarding a silver stripe to Malenkai.  P1869 brought his
blue cross rank up to 210.

Second, I note that all the members of Vulcan have approved the action
of buying a secret laboratory and trade license.

Third, I note that postal code change 105 was approved with one objection.
The objection was over the wording of "acka-research@wilma may only be
used for game actions related to current proposals."  This means (or at
least is intended to mean) that proposal retractions, harfiness
declarations, and any other thing you can do to a proposal or because
of the existence of a certain proposal can happen here.  Probably buying
an amber banana or doing the acid rain dance qualifies, and one or two
other things that rarely happen.  It is specifically meant to allow for
anything is ordinarily likely to be done in a reply to the proposal
distribution, which defaults to reply-to acka-research.  If anybody can
think of a better way to word this, please let me know.

In any case, I've applied that postal code change.  acka-discuss and
acka-discuss-digest no longer exist.  acka-finance-digest exists with
nobody on it.  If you would like to subscribe to acka-finance-digest,
send mail to [email-masked] with the following in the
body of the message:

subscribe acka-finance-digest [email-masked]

(The email address is optional -- it will try to use an email address from
your headers, but if this is broken -- for instance, if you send mail from
[email-masked] but receive mail at [email-masked], or if
you have an alias or other odd address you use to help sort your mail but
which you don't send mail from, you need to put the right address.  In
some cases this will be approved automatically and in other cases it
will forward the request to me for approval.)

If you're on acka-finance now and want to switch to acka-finance-digest,
then put the above command in a message to majordomo as well as:

unsubscribe acka-finance [email-masked]

/dev/joe
Senator, member of Vulcan, and Postmaster, in that order.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:32:40 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Vending Machine 

Hmmm... I have a vending machine.  Anyone wanna buy a rock to wind a peice of
string around?

Anyone have a bonus vote add on and need a vending machine to make it work?
 I might be convinced to trade it away for... various things.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 16:51:35 -0800
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Acka: Digest question

If I change from the regular list to the digest list, or vice versa,
is there a chance of missing a message somewhere along the line?

I ask because I'm about to go through and change everything to which I
subscribe to digest, and will be changing back a few in a couple of
days (my connectivity is going away for approximately 2 days, and I
want to make sure I don't cause too much havoc for wilma).

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:38:01 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vending Machine

> Hmmm... I have a vending machine.  Anyone wanna buy a rock to wind a peice of
> string around?
	Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.

> Anyone have a bonus vote add on and need a vending machine to make it work?
>  I might be convinced to trade it away for... various things.
	I'll rent it for A$ 10 for 2 weeks.

- -- Mohammed
*shrug*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:37:54 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digest question

> If I change from the regular list to the digest list, or vice versa,
> is there a chance of missing a message somewhere along the line?

There is a chance that you'll miss some messages when you change from
a digest list to the regular list -- if you do this, stay on the
digest lists until the end of the day -- at midnight, a digest is forced
on all the lists, which will include any messages that might have come
between the last digest and the time you joined the regular lists.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 19:01:08 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prayer for Deliverance 

Astronautically speaking,
"laki atino makini lorhoho"
Is neither aerodynamical
Nor really astrobiologic.

Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 19:53:19 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  even more BWG

Never one to advocate over-regulation,  or government involvement of any
kind in what is essentially a private business,  I feel the need to
change my stripes over the issue of so-called Publishing Tyranny.

As a matter of fact,  I would like to see the restrictions tightened so
that those newspapers who only publish a BWG issue to meet the
requirements are punished as well.  This is not because I hate BWG,  but
do dislike being bored to death.  Ackanomic is a very interesting, 
complex and Harfy pastime,  and anyone who cannot come up with a truly
interesting comment on the happenings in Acka at least monthly shouldn't
be running a newspaper anyway.  Yes,   yes,  I know.  Many of you media
moguls have precious little time on your hands,  and can't guarentee that
the time required  to write,  edit and post a truly interesting edition
is not always available;  the mundane realities of RL can and do get in
the way.  Trust me,  I know this problem intimately.

However,  once you make the commitment and invest the resources into
establishing a newspaper,  you must think first about your reading
public,  and put piddling personal problems on the back burner.  Maybe by
increasing your staff,  or by saving some of your more acerbic commentary
for an editorial rather than attempting to start a flame war over some
perturbing Proposal or RFC might save the paper,  and your reputation.

Since I was not foolish enough to start a paper,  and save my commentary
for when I have the time to draft a lengthy and carefully thought out
reply,  I feel immenantly qualified to criticize the current state of the
Ackanomic Press.

For those who don't know me,  this is NOT a "cause celebre",  you will
never see me wracking by brain for a solution or wasting untold bandwidth
crusading on this issue,  I just was saving up for a really long, 
useless monologue.  Feel free to ignore the above,   or use it to wrap
fish in.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 23:11:14 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 369 (breadbox)

breadbox has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 369
  Subject: Dealing with the Paranormal
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: breadbox (selected Apr 02, 1997, 23:11h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

Proposal 1866 was not accepted.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Niccolo Flychuck used a paranormal power in casting a Bonus Vote 
on that proposal.  From R 261, which has precedence over the Bonus 
Vote rule (317):

> If a player has made use of a Paranormal Power then that player
> (also called Krykec for the purposes of this rule) is taken in for
> questioning. Krykec will be injected with an alien sedative which 
> destroys one of her doses of psi-enhancer if she has at least one,
> and which otherwise removes whichever Paranoral Power that player has
> most recently used.

The key here is the rendering of 'removes whichever Paranormal Power 
[...]'.  Certainly the BV is the power in question.  So what happens when
it is 'removed'?  Is it removed from the game, without counting on the
proposal, or after it is counted on the proposal?  Given rule 261's
precedence over the BV rule, perhaps a prickly problem for the judge.

That reading seems more questionable; it is reasonable that Mold and
Scold destroy the vote after it has its effect, but a reading where the
bonus vote is destroyed before it counts on the proposal is there too.
According to rule 317, the BV has an effect when it is e-mailed to the
Tabulator; its only a problem if R 261 is construed to be in conflict 
with that (ie, Mold & Scold's destruction of it has precedence over its
effect, or comes *before* its effect is recorded).

If the bonus vote did not count on the proposal, the results were 9 in
favor, 5 against, resulting in failure and a verdict of true.

Vynd pointed this whole thing out on IRC.  I also note, that from the 
time Niccolo Flychuck submitted that bonus vote to the Tabulator, he
was abducted by the W-File pair for 48 hours, and is subject to the
restrictions and provisions in rule 261.  Since only he and the Tabulator
know when that was, they should make sure the rule is complied with.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 00:29:22 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Straw Poll

I intend to attempt fix the CFJ submission rule to allow anyone
to submit A CFJ.  The question is, 

a) should it be put back the way it was?
b) should it be put back the way it was, with additional rule changes
elsewhere to make sure it is impossible to adjudicate, or sit on a
court that adjudictes, one's own CFJ submission?

I sent this to acka-priv, but public or private RFC is ok.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:00:20 -0800
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Acka:  Vacation

I am hereby placing myself on vacation for three (3 (III)) days.

Moving tomorrow, two days earlier than expected, so my modem
line won't be with me for two days.  I dunno how I'm gonna
survive with two days of non-connectivity.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:50:31 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Treasure found!

A long time ago, I buried this:

The Staff of the Silicon Python (worth A$ 97)

Once the staff of the Head Lumberjack of the long-defunct Church of
Python, this ornately carved rod stands four feet tall and has a core of
pure silicon, surrounded by a thick layer of quartz. The wavery surface of
the quartz appears uneven, even carelessly designed, but when exposed to
just sunlight at just the right angle, the refraction of the quartz and
reflection of the surface of the silicon within combine to focus the light
on the ground in a tiny, perfect image of a python, just a few inches
long. 

It has been found by /dev/joe.  The map read:

the Treasure of the Staff of the Silicon Python shall be found by the
first person to send me something I find truly fascinating or delightful,
of his or her own composition, written in Python.

/dev/joe sent me a program that demolished me in a game of Scrabble.  This
was fascinating, in its own horrific way, and would almost certainly be
delightful for anyone with an ego less easily bruised than mine.  :o)
/dev/joe sent me the program more than a month ago, and since then I've
been incrementally approaching an actual game. 

Yow.

Congratulations, /dev/joe!  Perhaps someday soon the Church of Python 
might congregate once again...

- -- Mohammed
humble Lumberjack wannabe

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #33
******************************