Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #23
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, March 24 1997        Volume 02 : Number 023

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 01:21:32 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmaster Straw Poll

This is a straw poll to determine what changes I should make
in the postal code in the future.  If you are not receiving this
in digest mode, you can just reply to this message to send your
answers privately to me.

I. Ackanomic/Acka-discuss

1. Do you think the acka-discuss list should be deleted, and the
traffic that is there now merged back into ackanomic?

2. If it's decided acka-discuss is remaining, would you be in favor
of changing the reply-to on the main list back to the list instead
of acka-discuss?

[acka-discuss was created to make the main list have less chatter,
so that players who don't want to see that can choose not to but
still see the important game messages.  So far only Brinjal (former
player, now observing) has chosen to subscribe to ackanomic without
subscribing to acka-discuss, and the reply-to has caused a bit of
trouble.]

3. Would you prefer just creating an alias, ackanomic-r, for the
mail list, with replies set to ackanomic-r [i.e., a list where
the thread will stay on the main list] to the plan in #2 above?

4. What actions should be allowed on acka-discuss? (currently it is
limited to trades)

5. Should we create a separate list, acka-judicial, as the appropriate
place for all CFJ posts, including discussion?

II. Acka-finance

6. Does it need a digest list?

[I will probably create this anyway, the next time I get around to
making actual changes in the list, just to archive the stuff in a
publicly accessible place.]

III. Acka-voting/Acka-research

7. What actions should be allowed on acka-research? (currently it is
limited to trades)

IV. Misc

8. What other changes should be made to the postal code?

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:46:35 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmaster Straw Poll 

At 10:21 PM -0900 3/22/97, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>This is a straw poll to determine what changes I should make
>in the postal code in the future.  If you are not receiving this
>in digest mode, you can just reply to this message to send your
>answers privately to me.
>
>I. Ackanomic/Acka-discuss
>
>1. Do you think the acka-discuss list should be deleted, and the
>traffic that is there now merged back into ackanomic?

I have mixed feelings here.  Would have to say I'm undecided.  If traffic
ever increased substantially, though, I'd so NO.

>2. If it's decided acka-discuss is remaining, would you be in favor
>of changing the reply-to on the main list back to the list instead
>of acka-discuss?

Probably

>[acka-discuss was created to make the main list have less chatter,
>so that players who don't want to see that can choose not to but
>still see the important game messages.  So far only Brinjal (former
>player, now observing) has chosen to subscribe to ackanomic without
>subscribing to acka-discuss, and the reply-to has caused a bit of
>trouble.]
>
>3. Would you prefer just creating an alias, ackanomic-r, for the
>mail list, with replies set to ackanomic-r [i.e., a list where
>the thread will stay on the main list] to the plan in #2 above?

Yes

>4. What actions should be allowed on acka-discuss? (currently it is
>limited to trades)

Hmm... I'm uncommited here.

>5. Should we create a separate list, acka-judicial, as the appropriate
>place for all CFJ posts, including discussion?

No

>II. Acka-finance
>
>6. Does it need a digest list?
>
>[I will probably create this anyway, the next time I get around to
>making actual changes in the list, just to archive the stuff in a
>publicly accessible place.]

YES

>III. Acka-voting/Acka-research
>
>7. What actions should be allowed on acka-research? (currently it is
>limited to trades)

Proposals Retractions?

>IV. Misc
>
>8. What other changes should be made to the postal code?
>
>/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:58:43 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmaster Straw Poll 

>At 12:46 AM -0900 3/23/97, Phil Ackley wrote:
>>At 10:21 PM -0900 3/22/97, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>>>This is a straw poll to determine what changes I should make
>>>in the postal code in the future.  If you are not receiving this
>>>in digest mode, you can just reply to this message to send your
>>>answers privately to me.

Sorry bout the outbreak of snowgod's disease.  I just reconfigured my
mailer and forgot to turn off "reply-to all".  It's fixed now....

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 02:00:51 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure 

I am creating a treasure consisting of the Little Bag O' Chips G, the
Thring, the Fibber the Low-Grade Brass-Painted Cheapo Plastic Flea, the
Pumpkin Patch,and the The Bagel of Uestiox.

The map is 121k, so I will not send it to the list.  If you wish to have a
copy of it let me know and I will email it to you.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:33:51 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 360 (ThinMan)

Mar 23 10:34 EST: -10 Techno: did not respond to CFJ 360

It has been reassigned to ThinMan.  Mohammed's reasoning has been
attached.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 360
  Subject: *** ***'* *** **** *** ** ** ****
Initiator: Narf
    Judge: Techno (selected Mar 20, 1997, 2:50h EST)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (selected Mar 23, 1997, 10:34h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

CFJ 359 is invalid

Narf's Reasoning:

I submitted CFJ 359 to the Clerk of the Court under the email address
[email-masked].

According to Rule 211, "Any player who has a question or complaint about any
matter concerning the rules, the facts, or their     interpretation may email
their statement to the Clerk of the Court, who will then distribute it
publically. A call for judgement is then incurred on that statement."

Ok, so what constitutes a player?  It seems obvious, but there is a slight
technicality here.

according to rule 250, "A player is any person who is registered as a player.
Players are named, unownable entities. No person may register as a player
more than once concurrently. Anyone is allowed to observe the game and
participate in discussion of any issue, but no person who is not a player may
make a proposal, or vote on any proposal, or call for judgement, or judge, or
score points, or win a cycle. "

And according to Rule 252, "A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot
do so as a Returning player, should notify the Registrar, providing a valid
email address, their real name, and the legal Ackanomic name they wish to
play under. Upon them providing this information, should the requested name
indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the Registrar shall post a public message
announcing the new player and providing their Ackanomic name, real name, and
email address, and if the prospective player provided it, how they discovered
the game. Upon the posting of such an announcement, the person becomes
registered as a player."

My chain of reasoning goes something like this: I registered as a player
giving the email address [email-masked].  I never registered under the email
address [email-masked], nor has anyone else.  Even though I identified
myself to Malenkai at the time of submission, he had no way to verify that
that was in fact me.

Should this CFJ be judged false, I could theoreticaly create an email address
"[email-masked]" , identify myself as Malenkai and post a message offering
to buy 1 pfNarf for A$1000, and then log on as myself and accept the deal.
 Obviously this CFJ must be judged true.

Mohammed's Justice Reasoning:

        A player is a person, not an email address.  If you offer to buy 1
pfNarf for A$1000, regardless of whose name is in your e-mail address, it
is Narf that is offering the deal (and if someone accepted it, you'd be
out a thousand bucks.) The statement is False.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 09:10:51 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 361 Verdict

CFJ 361 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 361
  Subject: Public Action
Initiator: breadbox
    Judge: Vynd (selected Mar 22, 1997, 12:46h EST)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

An attempt to perform a public action announced on the acka-discuss
mailing list succeeds.

breadbox's Reasoning:

Rule 260, "Public Actions", states:

  The rules may specify that certain possible courses of play are public
  actions. Any active player may attempt any public action available to
  him or her simply by sending a public message specifying the action to
  be taken. However, if any information that is necessary to specify the
  action fully and unambiguously is left out of that message, then the
  attempt fails. [An attempt may also fail for other reasons.]

The only mention of acka-discuss in the postal code is:

  acka-research@wilma and acka-discuss@wilma may only be used for trades
  and gifts of entities, but it is preferred to perform these on
  acka-finance. acka-research-digest@wilma and acka-discuss-digest@wilma
  are the digest versions of these lists and are subject to the same
  restrictions.

So does an announcement of a public action on acka-discuss actually
occur, or is it just so much talk?

Vynd's Reasoning:

breadbox's statement is unfortunately very broad, much broader than he
intended, from the looks of his reasoning.  If I were to judge his
statement true, this would imply that any attempt at a public action taken
on acka-discuss is automaticaly sucessful, regardless of other
considerations.  This is clearly not the case, as there are many
situations where an attempted action would fail even if it was posted
publicly, such as an attempted trade that was refused by the other player.
I am therefore rendering a judgement of FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:55:47 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auctions; Inventor

/dev/joe wrote:
> I bid A$110 on the electronic potato and A$125 on the plunky monkey wrench.
	The Auction is over; /dev/joe's bid of A$125 for the PMW is the 
high bid, and as he has enough cash, it stands.  I would like to rent 
that PMW for A$ 5 per day for 3 days.

I am building a Bonus Vote Add-On.

- --Mohammed
Inventor

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 13:52:25 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auctions; Inventor

Mohammed wrote:
> I would like to rent that PMW for A$ 5 per day for 3 days.

I agree to these terms.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:16:13 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Political Party

I wish to join BAKER

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:53:59 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : My dangling house + official stuff 

>Tether dangling doesn't provide the manuverability that wings do, IMHO.
>Also, what happens if your tether gets disconnected?  Then you're up there
>with the aliens, like CnH.  Of course, tahts not all bad.  Amazingly enough
>he can purchase wings, even from way up there...

I rename my old house, now floating away into space, "VOYAGER I".

I create a new trinket called "I Was On A Galactic Rescue Mission" worth
A$10. It represents the perfect figure of an winged Player, pure classical
Ancient style, in dramatic pose, right hand in a fist, striking toward the
unknown on high. It is 3 cats height high. On the pedestal is engraved the
name of the trinket along with the date it was created.

I also create another trinket called "We Come In Peace" worth A$10. It is a
gold disc with music on one side and inscriptions on the other. The
inscriptions represents the generic anatomy of a player, a diagram showing
our planet and where it is located in the universe, a greeting and an
invitation to visit Acka. On the edge of the disc, the word "harf" is
repeated over and over. The disc has radius 42cm. It's material is 100%
pure, it's circular form is mathematically perfect, to show our technical
prowess. On the inner part of the music side, our original rule set is
engraved on the atomic level. On the inscription side, the current rule set
is engraved, also on the atomic level. It comes in a transparent case that
can resist the effects of time and elements (including radiation,
explosions, etc) guaranteed for over one million Acka years.

I hereby allow one winged player to enter my house to retrieve all the
objects in my house and bring them back to me, as well as put the second
trinket in the house. (Please lock the door behind you). Since I'm in my
house, I'd ask the winged player to carry me back too actually, having made
sure I've taken everything, closed all windows, switched off everything.

I will give the first trinket above to the winged player who does the job.
Many thanks!

I also spend A$100 to build a new house. I call this house "Darkavan Tetnne"
and make it my main residence. If it can be built over on the one spot of
the old on, I'd like to do so. Otherwise, I've got other plots of land to
choose from, at the discretion of /dev/joe.

>snowgod
>who thinks its time for another installment from the Codex of Kra

Every time I started on something, it didn't get anywhere. I might try
again, but if I don't get anywhere again, I'll just resign to let someone
else try it. Suggestions welcome.

Calvin N Hobbes
who might yet complete his vague arc

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:07:26 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Resignation

It is with much regret that I must announce that I am resigning as
Financier.  The game as become much more complicated recently (at least
as judged by me in terms of determining the financial game state), yet
the time I have to devote to the game has not increased.  (I also do not
find the recent complexity particularily interesting, personally  -- 
those that do may enjoy the Financier's job, hence I believe this can be
a win-win situation).

If I had the time to do the job correctly, I would still continue to
do so, but it is a disservice to acka to pretend that I can still do it
correctly.

The following are jobs of the Financier that I will be discontinuing,
effective now.  There are probably others; I cannot think of them 
though:

1) Maintaining the finance log at http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/finance.txt

I believe this log is accurate as of 15:45, Sunday, with the
possible exception of that BAKER business.  I have recorded *all* 
contributions to BAKER as legal, as I stated in a request for help 
yesterday, I not sure though.

2) Maintaining the player entity page at 
http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayp.htm

The reason for this is that a major component of this page is up to the
day (or so) player A$ balances.  I will continue to maintain it if the
new Financier agrees to give me current A$ balances from time to time, but
that will be up to him.  It may be that he wants to maintain the page.
When the new Financier comes on line, please let me know about this.

3) Checking all proposal passages for processing chips, electronic 
potatoes, and tammany.

4) Maintaining the Museum at http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayp.htm

I will continue to maintain all other pages that I maitain, which are
trinkets, treasures, cotc, ce, and possibly a couple of others.  As I
said, I will maintain yp and mu if that is what the new financier wants.

Another note:  Narf has the Chartreuse Goose, and is thus responsible 
for tracking the keys.  Here is the details on the keys:

1) Gold Key:  Robert Sevin -- this key deletes 1A$ per day.  I have 
been doing this on a weekly basis, therefore Robert Sevin's balance is 
accurate as of the weekly anniversity (which is Monday at 22:01)

2) Silver Key:  This is buried as a Treasure.  In the CFJ 357 FALSE thread,
it is buried as a treasure by me, in the CFJ 357 TRUE thread, it is buried
as a treasure by /dev/joe.  In that thread, it will retroactively eat
on of /dev/joe's gadgets.

3) Bronze Key:  ThinMan -- eats a processing chip on the weekly anniversity.

4) Chartreuse Key: /dev/joe

5) Purple Key:  Buried as a Treasure

The bearer of the Goose should update the Financier at least weekly as
to any entity changes.  Monday 22:01 is a good time.

I hope someone will step up and take this job, and that none of this
work falls to /dev/joe.  I am sad, but it is something I must do.  Sorry.

Malenkai
acka's 4th ex-Financier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:25:05 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Financier and Banks

I was going to post it before Malenkai's resignation, but first I'd like
to thank Malenkai for the great job he's been doing as Financier, and the
players entities page.

Sometime ago someone posted a message about establishing banks, this could
be a good way of spreading some of the financier's duties among a couple
of players. I believe it was Narf, although I may be mistaken.

If you have a draft of this concept or would like to work on one, let me
know.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:30:35 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Edge of The Universe 

I am flying to the edge of the universe, wary, as always, of the aliens to
Give CnH (and his stuff, but not his house) a ride back up to the bottom of
the earth.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:56:14 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Edge of The Universe 

>I am flying to the edge of the universe, wary, as always, of the aliens to
>Give CnH (and his stuff, but not his house) a ride back up to the bottom of
>the earth.
>
>snowgod

What a superb rescue mission! [applause, applause]

Thanks snowgod.

I give the "I Was On A Galactic Rescue Mission" trinket to snowgod, having
left the "We Come In Peace" trinket (and only that) in the house. And now,
'VOYAGER I' will boldly go where no house has ever gone before, to seek new
races and new civilizations!

Calvin N Hobbes
looking like a kitten stuck up a tree

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:40:38 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: RFC: AckaGuide 

Howdy, all. I was shooting airballs in the gym the other day when it came to
me that I might write an AckaGuide, which would be the equivalent of the
Guide to Agora...sort of an introduction to the game. The Welcome Packet and
the the Introductory page are good, but don't really give a "feel" for the
game. It wouldn't replace a reading of the ruleset, just supplement it. Not
that I'm an expert, but I'd love to put my (getting rusty) writing skills to
the test with this project, if there's any enthusiasm.

You can call me Al
                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:31:44 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Panther

Panther did not respond to a remain in the game message in
the required time, and thus is removed from the game.  E was never
active, therefore no undead is created.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #23
******************************