Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #19
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Thursday, March 20 1997       Volume 02 : Number 019

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:00:47 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 358 (Red Barn)

Red Barn has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 358
  Subject: Crazy French-Scotsman and the End of the Cycle
Initiator: Vynd
    Judge: Red Barn (selected Mar 19, 1997, 9:02h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

 Vynd's complaint on 3/17/97, 1:30 am EST, about having his
points set to zero at the end of the last cycle, was a legitimate exercise
of the public complaining ability for the purpose of having point losses
counteracted described in Rule 1129/1: Crazy French-Scotsmen.

Vynd's reasoning:

The crucial question here, in my opinion, is whether or not having my
score set to zero at the end of the cycle constitutes a loss of points,
but I'll go over some of the technicalities here as well.  Rule 1129/1
states that any new player who has never played Ackanomic before may
"publicly complain when they lose any points or currency.  When they
exercise this option, the penalty will immediately be counteracted."  The
definition of a new player who has never played before put forth in this
rule clearly covers me, so I have the ability "exercise the option" to
complain.  There is a little ambiguity in the wording I quoted when it
comes to "penalty," but it seems it seems reasonably clear that it must
refer to the loss of "any points or currency" mentioned in the previous
sentence, even if it does not use that exact term.

So, we come to the real dilemma:  Is having my score reset to my
eggplant weight, as described in rule 666, a loss of points.  I believe
that it is.  Rule 1129/1 does not specificaly define what constitutes a
loss of points for the purposes of Crazy French Scotsman-type complaining.
An admitedly less than exhaustive (although rahter exhausting) review of
the rules and CFJs does not reveal any general rules or customs defining
what constitutes a loss of points.  I am therefore forced to assume that
common sense and logic plays some sort of a role here.  Logicaly, anytime
my collection of points, or "score" as some people call it, changes from
one number to a lower number, then I have lost some points.  My score at
the end of the last cycle was 3.  After my score was reset according to
rule 666, my score was 0.  0 is, to the best of my knowledge, less than 3.
By this reasoning, I lost some points when my score was reset, and
according to rule 1129/1 I have the right to complain about it and have
the "penalty" counteracted.  In my message of 3/17/97, at 01:30 EST,
I exercised this right to complain, using the the terms and manner called
for by rule 1129/1.  This being the case, my complaint should be
considered valid, and all the effects described in rule 1129/1 as occuring
upon the public posting of a valid complaint should take place.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:05:39 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 359 (breadbox)

breadbox has been chosen.  This problem was pointed out a long time
ago, but no one ever cleaned it up.  Is it a paradox, though...

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 359
  Subject: Modesty Paradox
Initiator: Narf
    Judge: breadbox (selected Mar 19, 1997, 9:07h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

Due to conflicts in rules 207 and 209, further game play is impossible.

Narf's Reasoning:

Rule 207 states that “If a non-Modest proposal is accepted, the player
who proposed it receives 10 points, and every player who
voted NO on it receives 3 points. If a Modest proposal is accepted, the
player who proposed it receives half as many points as he or she would
have received otherwise, and no points are awarded for voting NO.”

While Rule 209 states “Whenever a Modest Proposal is adopted, the number
of points scored by its author as a direct result of authoring an
adopted proposal shall be half the number of points they would otherwise
have scored (rounded down).”

I assert that it is impossible to determine the correct number of points
to award a player who authors an accepted modest proposal.  Rule 207
clearly has precedence in case of conflict, but the two rules do not in
fact conflict with one another.  Here is my take on the string of events
following the acceptance of a modest proposal:  According to rule 207,
the author receives half the number of points that e would have
otherwise, or 5.  Rule 209 states that e shall receive half the number
of points they would otherwise have scored (rounded down) or... 2.
Since 2 is half of 5, rounded down.  Of course, no where in the rules
does it specify the order of rule application, merely the order of
precedence.  So... perhaps what REALLY happens is that rule 209 is
applied first, giving the author 5 points, then rule 207 kicks in... and
because rule 207 does not specify whether or not to round down, the
player receives 2 or 3 points.  Of course, this is further complicated
since we may not even be done at this point.  After all, neither rule
says that the score should only be haved once.  Having halved it to 5
(by application of either rule), in order to fully obey the rule, we
would have to halve it again.  Now whether or not this generates a score
of 2 or 3 again depends on which rule you are following and your
interpretattion of it.

What this all leads to, in my opinion, is a situation where it is
impossible to determine how many points the author of a modest proposal
should receive, and if you disagree with that statement, the only number
of points possible is 0.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:51:45 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Modesty pseudo-paradox

I have submitted a proposed amendment to Rules 207 and 209 that is
intended to remove any appearance of paradox, and also to clarify the
scoring issues involved.

Coming soon from a Promoter near you.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:03:09 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: wilma DOWNTIME NOTICE

Wilma will be down this Sunday morning, from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm, due
to the power being turned off in the building wilma is located in.
All services on wilma (the official mailing lists and web pages,
the entirely unofficial IRC server, and the ftp archive) will be
unavailable during this time.

/dev/joe
Postmaster
Web-Harfer
Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:32:18 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  RFC Chess

Niccolo and I have been refining this for days, but we probably missed 
something, so please take a look.

We still disagree on some things; on those matters this RFC takes the 
side of not making changes to the rule.  In particular, I wanted to get 
rid of DD-turns but there are some concerns yet to be addressed.

#submit proposal Chess Hack

[This includes:  punctuation-harfing; changing pre-entity language to
entity language; closing one miniscule loophole; moving one or two
things around; getting rid of at least one precedence clause;
standardizing time in a more playable way than I proposed before.
Probably a few other things, but I have a short memory.]

Rule 1230.1 ("Swingers Play Around I - the board and the playing
pieces") is amended to read:
- -----
{{ [This isn't a modest proposal, but:] Transfer 3 points from
Mohammed to Niccolo Flychuck for endless help, insights, and a few
good puns.  Transfer 1 point from Mohammed to the Web-Harfer, for
getting rid of all these temporary notes. }}

The game of Party Chess is an unownable entity.  {{ [ This is an
adaptation of a statement to the effect that "The game of Party Chess
is protected." that was hanging around someplace else.  I don't know
if it's necessary, but we might as well leave it. ] }}

1.  The Party Board

There exists a checkered board, divided into 20 by 20 squares, which
resides in Party Hall.  It is called the Party Board.  The Party Board
is an unownable entity used for the sole purpose of playing a game
called Party Chess.  Each column has a letter assigned to it, from a-t
beginning with the leftmost column.  Each row has an integer assigned
to it, from 1-20.  When viewed on a screen, the lowest row is 1, the
highest is 20, and consecutive rows are marked with consecutive
integers.

Each square on the Party Board has coordinates made up of a letter,
which corresponds to the column the square is part of, and an integer,
which corresponds to the row the square is part of.  The letter
precedes the integer.

Food or drink may not be placed on the Party Board.

2.  Party Chess Pieces

A.  Each Swinger controls a set of Party Chess Pieces.  The pieces are
owned by the Office of Swinger, and controlled by the Swinger who
holds that office.  Whenever the rules refer to pieces as being owned
by, or property of, a Swinger, the implied meaning is that they are
owned by or property of the corresponding Office of the Swinger.
Playing PartyChess is part of a Swinger's duty.

B.  A Swinger may acquire a piece by capturing it from an opponent or
creating a new piece, at a cost.  Both these processes are described
in greater detail below.

C.  "On-board" pieces are pieces which are currently on the Party
Board.  "Off-board" pieces are pieces which are currently off the
Party Board.

D.  A player or Organization may create a new Party Chess Piece of any
existing type for a Swinger.  When this is done, the player or
Organization pays the piece cost to the Treasury, and the new piece is
created, off-board, in the possession of the specified Swinger.  A new
piece costs A$1, plus A$7 times the material value of the piece.

E.  In this Rule Suite, the word 'piece' means Party Chess Piece.

3.  PartyChessPieceDef rules

A.  A rule is a PartyChessPieceDef rule if and only if it meets the
following criteria:

(i) It defines exactly one type of piece that can be created and used
    in the game of Party Chess.
(ii) It is a member of the Party Chess Rule Suite.
(iii) It unambiguously defines the legal moves that the piece may make.
    That is, it defines to which empty squares on the board the piece
    may move.
(iv) It defines a material value for the piece.
(v) It defines a non-space ASCII character to represent the piece, and
    this character is different from those that represent all the other
    types of pieces.  For the purpose of this rule, a lower case Latin
    letter is considered identical to its corresponding upper case
    Latin letter.  If two or more different rules, each of which meets
    the other four criteria, all claim the same ASCII character, only
    the rule among them with the lowest number is a PartyChessPieceDef rule.

{{ [  That last part was changed a little at Niccolo's request. ] }}

This rule takes precedence over all PartyChessPieceDef rules.

B.  Unless otherwise stipulated by the relevant PartyChessPieceDef
rule, the legal moves for each piece are defined relative to that
piece's current position on the board, and may depend on the positions
of other pieces on the board.

{{[
C.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means different from those
defined in this rule by which the defined piece may capture or not
capture opponent's pieces.  This rule defers to PartyChessPieceDef
rules with regard to capturing.
	--I moved this to live with the rest of the capturing stuff
]}}

C.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a
piece is promoted.  If no such conditions are defined for a given
piece, that piece does not promote.  When a piece is promoted, it
changes itself into a piece of a different type.

D.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a
piece may skip over other pieces during its movement.  If it does not,
the piece cannot move in ways that would require it to skip over other
pieces.

{{[
E.  Section 3A of this rule defers to the rule entitled "Creation of a
PartyChessPiece King."  This rule takes precedence over all
PartyChessPieceDef rules, except where it explicitly defers.
	--no longer necessary, imho; however, the blanket precedence
	clause, much as I hate it, has been carried over.  I moved it
	up a few lines to avoid having to re-re-harf the letters on
	all these sections...
]}}

E.  Should it ever be found that an on-board piece exists that is not
defined by any PartyChessPieceDef rule, that piece is immediately
moved off-board.  It does not change ownership.  [This can happen when
a rule is repealed or amended in such a way that it becomes
ambiguous.]

{{[   --current text
E.  When a PartyChessPieceDef rule is repealed, all PartyChessPieces
defined by that rule are immediately destroyed.  PartyChessPieces
defined by rules which depend on the repealed rule, immediately become
off-board pieces.  [They do not change ownership, and they are not
destroyed.)
	--main change here is they don't self-destruct...

F.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule can depend on other PartyChessPieceDef
rule, by defining the moves in terms of a PartyChessPiece defined by
another rule.  A rule is not a PartyChessPieceDef rule if it defines
the behavior of a PartyChessPiece in terms of a non-existent
PartyChessPiece.
	--I like this change because it enables you to keep an
	obsolete piece lying around.  Miscellaneous harf.  :o)
]}}

F.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which the
position on the Party Board of a piece it defines enhances or
restricts the moves or captures available to other pieces.
PartyChessPieceDef rules defer to such enhancements or restrictions.

G.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define an instance limit for that
type of piece.  If it does not, there is no instance limit for that
piece.  Instance limits are always enforced on a per Swinger basis.
If such a limit is defined, a Swinger may not control more pieces than
the limit; if it is ever found that e possesses pieces in excess of
the specified limit, all excess pieces are destroyed until this
situation is corrected, starting with off-board pieces.  If random
determination is required to perform this destruction, the
Chess-Umpire shall handle it.

4.  Capturing

This rule defers to PartyChessPieceDef rules on the matter of
capturing.  [Other rules may define other ways for pieces to capture,
and may define that this variety of capture is not available to
certain pieces.]

Party Chess Piece (1) can capture an opposing piece (2) if (2)
occupies a square on the board to which (1) could otherwise legally
move.  When the Swinger that owns (1) performs a capture in this way,
(1) is moved to the square occupied by (2), and (2) is removed from
the board.

Whenever a Swinger uses one of his or her pieces to capture an
opposing piece, the captured piece is added to the capturing Swinger's
collection of off-board pieces.

{{[ --replaced text
The Swinger that owns (1) performs a capture on his turn by
moving (1) to the square occupied by (2) and removing (2) from the
board, adding (2) to his own collection of off-board pieces.
	--I broke this into two sentences:  even if you use
	a tornado to capture (that kind of capture doesn't look
	like the play described above) the piece should still be added
	to your collection.  This is the miniscule loophole I was talking
	about in the intro.
]}}

It is forbidden for a piece to capture a friendly piece.

5.  Piece movement

There are eight directions in which pieces may move.

A.  Horizontal:  A movement from one square to another one in the same row.
There are two horizontal directions.

B.  Vertical:  A movement from one square to another in the same column.
There are two vertical directions.

C.  Diagonal:  A movement from one square to another such that the number of
rows moved is the same as the number of columns moved.  There are four
diagonal directions.

{{[
D.  A primitive movement is a movement from one square to another in a
horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction.

E.  Every legal move must be defined as a combination of one or more
primitive movements.  When a piece makes a move, it
follows the path defined by the primitive movements that make up that
move.
	--unnecessary restrictions
]}}

6.  Definitions

A.  In the context of a Party Chess piece, the capital letters R and C
represent the row and column, respectively, of the square that that
piece occupies.

B.  The symbols DestR and DestC represent the the row and column of a
destination square.

C.  The symbol SQn, where n is a positive integer, specifies the
square n squares distant from a piece's current square in a given
direction.  Which such symbols are meaningful depends on the piece's
current position on the board.

D.  The symbol dR represents the absolute value of DestR-R.

E.  The symbol dC represents the absolute value of DestC-C, where the
difference is computed as the difference of the ASCII codes
corresponding to DestC and C.

F.  The distance between two squares is defined as the distance
between the two rows (abs(R2-R1)), or the distance between the two
columns (abs(C2-C1)), whichever is greater.

{{[This is the only subsection I added here (the definition of
distance); I did it only because it was defined in several places
before and this seems like a good final resting place for it.]}}

G.  The symbols /AND/, /OR/, /XOR/, and /NOT/, in this and all other
rules governing Party Chess, represent the logical operators AND, OR,
XOR, and NOT, respectively.

7.  Party Chess Pieces are ownable entities.
- -----

Rule 1230.2 ("Swingers Like to Play Around II - Let's play") is
amended to read:
- -----
1.  Office of the Chess-Umpire

A.  The optional functional office of Chess-Umpire exists.  If, at any
time, there is no player performing the duties of Chess-Umpire, the
game of Party Chess is suspended (or not started), and all other
players who would have duties with regard to Party Chess are absolved
of those duties.  This clause takes precedence over all rules dealing
with Swingers and Party Chess.

B.  Any active player is eligible for the office of Chess-Umpire.

{{[In the following section, I changed "move" to "play"; several
instances.  Niccolo and I discussed this before the original Party
Chess proposal went out and decided to reserve the word "move" for
plays that moved pieces from place to place, but didn't capture.]}}

C.  The Chess-Umpire has the following Duties:
(i) Maintaining and updating the Party Board
(ii) Checking for the legality of the plays
(iii) To notify each Swinger by private e-mail whenever it becomes his
    turn to move.
(iv) To alert a Swinger by public e-mail whenever he is placed in
    check.
(v) Calculating and posting the Swingers' Weights after each play.
(vi) Maintaining a list of game history - all the plays made, Pieces
    purchased and owned
(vii) The Chess-Umpire will make this information publically
    available.  If possible, the information will be maintained on a
    web-page as well.
(viii) Maintaining the Swinger Play List.

2.  Managing the Game

A.  At the beginning of the game of Party Chess there are no Party
Chess Pieces on the Party Board.

B.  Each Office of Swinger receives one King, and five playing pieces.
Each Swinger may choose any five pieces which are defined by a
PartyChessPieceDef rule, as long as their total material value does
not exceed 30.  These pieces are created in the possession of the
appropriate Swingers, free of charge.  Initially all pieces are
off-board.

C.  When a new Office of Swinger is created, it receives one King and
five playing pieces, as described in 2.B.

D.  Whenever an Office of Swinger is destroyed, all Party Chess
Pieces owned by that office are destroyed.  No re-imbursement is made
for the destroyed items.

3.  Determining the Playing Order

A.  The Chess-Umpire maintains a list called the Swinger Play List.
Initially the NAP Swinger is at the top of the list.  The names of the
other Swingers (including non-active players) follow in a random order
determined at the begining of the PartyChess game by the Chess-Umpire.

B.  The Swinger whose name is at the top of the list is the Swinger
whose turn it is to play.  When the turn is over, the top name is
moved to the bottom of the list.

C.  When a single Swinger is checked, eir name is immediately moved to
the top of the list.

D.  When two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously, the names of
all of the checked Swingers are moved to the top of the list, and a
Special DD-Turn occurs.  [This is detailed in section 7.B. of this
rule.]  When the Special DD-Turn is resolved, the Chess-Umpire places
the names of those Swingers at the bottom of the Swinger Play List, in
random order.

E.  When a Swinger's Office is destroyed, its name, and the name of
the last Swinger to occupy it, are removed from the Swinger Play List.

F.  When an Office of Swinger is created, its name, and the name of the
Swinger who holds that office, are placed at the bottom of the list.

{{[

F.  A Player or Observer becomes a Spectator when he informs the
Chess-Umpire of his desire to do so. A Spectator ceases to be a
Spectator when he informs the Chess-Umpire of his desire to do so.
Whenever this rule calls for a public announcement or public e-mail,
such announcement or e-mail is to be sent to all Swingers and
Spectators, to the Chess-Umpire, and to no-one else. However, the
person who sends a public e-mail or announcement may exclude himself
from the recipients.
	--this is covered in Postal Code; we can drop it.

H.  Every play must be announced publically - except when this rule
specifically states otherwise.
	--moved someplace more logical

Once a play has been publicly
announced, it becomes the turn of the next Swinger in the
playing-order, unless there are no more Swingers in the playing-order,
in which case it becomes the turn of the first Swinger in the
playing-order.
	--this was already stated above
]}}

4.  Turns

A turn will last until a play is made, either by the Swinger
announcing the play publicly, or by default when the time limit
expires, or automatically.  The time limit for a given turn expires
three days after the Chess-Umpire announces the current state of the
game, with the exceptions outlined below.

When the time limit expires on a Swinger's turn, that Swinger makes a
default play.  If it would have been legal for the Swinger to Pass, e
Passes.  Otherwise, e Surrenders.

A.  The Chess-Umpire has the Privelege of being able to extend the
time limit, up to a maximum of seven days after the announcement of
the game state.

{{[ --replaced text:
That Swinger has four days in which to make eir play,
otherwise eir play defaults to a Pass with the following exceptions:

(i) With the exception that if a Swinger goes on Vacation during eir
turn, then eir turn is extended by two additional days. There may be
no more than two such extensions per turn, and no more than 4 such
extensions for any given six consecutive rounds.
]}}

B.  Warmth

(i) If a Swinger's Office is Warm, and the Swinger is not checked,
then that Swinger automatically Passes when his or her turn begins.
If a Swinger's Office is Warm for two whole Rounds, then he is
considered to have Surrendered.

(ii) If a Swinger is checked while that Swinger Seat is Warm, then
that Swinger's turn is not played automatically.  If that Swinger's
Office corresponds to a Political Party, the Chess-Umpire has the Duty
of notifying all player members of that Party of the check situation,
including members who are on Vacation.

{{[
In the case of a Special D-turn, if the time limit expires before a
play is legally made, then that Swinger Surrenders by default.
	--special D-turns don't exist anymore
]}}

In the case of a Special DD-Turn, if the checked Swinger's Office is
still Warm the second time a conflict is declared, then he Surrenders.
However, he is still counted for the purpose of determining the number
of repetitions of the procedure described in section 7.B.(i)-(iii) of
this Rule.

(iii) When there are 7 or more Swingers with on-board pieces, the turn
of any Swinger who has no on-board pieces is skipped entirely.

(iv) It is permissible for a Party or a Swinger with a Warm Office to
notify the Chess-Umpire of a Surrender at any time by sending a public
message to that effect.  The Surrender takes effect immediately.  This
section of this rule takes precedence over all other sections of this
rule.

C.  A Round of play is defined as a time period in which each Swinger
played at least once, and at least one Swinger played only once, where
{{[a Default Pass also counts a play, and]}} a Special DD-Turn counts
as a play for each Swinger taking part in that turn, in eir capacity
as Swinger.

Each time a Round of play is over, RoundCount is incremented by 1.
When ever a new game of Party Chess is started, RoundCount is set
to 0.

5.  Definitions

A piece (1) is an opposing piece or opponent's piece with respect to
piece (2) if it is controlled by a different Swinger than (2) is,
regardless of any agreements, contracts, or treaties made between the
various Swingers.

A piece (1) is friendly with respect to piece (2) if pieces (1) and (2)
are controlled by the same Swinger.

A piece (1) is attacking opposing piece (2) if and only if they are
located on the board such that if it were (1)'s Swinger's turn to
move, he could capture piece (2) with piece (1).

A piece (1) is defending friendly piece (2) if and only if they are
located on the board such that (1) would be attacking (2) if (2) were
an opposing piece.

6.  Playing the game

On eir turn Swinger may make one of the following plays.  The play is
made as a public action, except in the case of a Special DD-Turn
[described in section 7.B. of this Rule].

A.  Move - The Swinger moves an on-board piece e controls from the
square it is on to an unoccupied square according to the applicable
rules.

B.  Capture - The Swinger uses one of his pieces to perform a capture
according to the applicable rules.

C.  Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces.

D.  Pass - The Swinger does nothing.  [This is the default play in
most cases; see above.]

E.  Surrender - All of the Swinger's pieces are removed from the
board, and become off-board pieces.  {{[The bit about not being able
to end your turn in check was moved to section 7., "Check".]}}

{{[ A lot of text was clipped from the above section.  The result is
that Swingers no longer must use the play notation that is, in the
current rule, described in some detail.  I'm sure most Swingers will
continue to use something very similar to that notation anyway; but it
should not be legislated. ]}}

{{[
C. (i) If a promotable piece is moved, whether through a Move or a
Capture, into a position which allows it to be promoted, then it is
immediately promoted.

The process of promotion is as follows: The original promotable
piece is destroyed, and instantly, the piece to which it promotes is
created, at no cost, and placed on the square that was occupied by
the promotable piece when it was destroyed.
	--this is redundant with the stuff in the other rule.
]}}

7.  Check

A.  A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more
opposing pieces.  No Swinger may make a play that would cause him or
her to be in Check at the end of his or her turn.  It is possible that
the only move that will satisfy this condition is a Surrender.  [It is
the responsibility of the Chess-Umpire to identify states of Check and
alert the Swingers that such a state exists, and let the Swingers know
whose King is being attacked.]  {{[That used to be binding; I made it
a note.]}}

B.  If two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously then the
procedure described in subsection (i)-(vi) of this section is carried
out.  This procedure is called a Special DD-Turn.  If the Chess-Umpire
is one of the checked Swingers then e shall appoint an Assistant
Chess-Umpire, who takes over the role of the Chess-Umpire for the
duration of the Special DD-Turn.

The Assistant Chess-Umpire may be any player, other than a checked
Swinger, who is willing and able to fulfill the Chess-Umpire's Duties
temporarily.  If an Assistant Chess-Umpire is needed but there is no
such person, all checked Swingers automatically Surrender and the
Special DD-Turn ends.

If the Special DD-Turn is followed by another Special DD-Turn, then
the Assistant Chess-Umpire may continue to act in that capacity until
that turn is resolved as well, unless he is a checked Swinger in that
Special DD-Turn, in which case another Assistant Chess-Umpire is
appointed in eir stead.

Once an Assistant Chess-Umpire is no longer needed, that is, a Special
DD-Turn has ended and the following turn is a normal turn, the
Assistant Chess-Umpire resigns, and the position ceases to exist until
it is needed again.  When it is required that an Assistant
Chess-Umpire be appointed, the turn begins as soon as the Assistant
Chess-Umpire is appointed.

(i) Each of the checked Swingers mails eir play by private e-mail
to the Chess-Umpire.

(ii) If there is no conflict between the plays, then the Chess-Umpire
announces the plays publically and updates the Party Board
accordingly.

(iii) If there is a conflict between the plays, then the Chess-Umpire
announces this fact publically, the plays are not played, and each of
the checked Swingers must again mail eir plays privately to the
Chess-Umpire.

(iv) If the Chess-Umpire decides that there are no possible moves that
would not result in conflict, then e must announce that fact, and all
of the checked Swingers then Surrender.  If any Swinger remains in a
state of check for two consecutive iterations of a Special DD-Turn,
then the Chess-Umpire declares that Swinger to have Surrendered, and
all pieces of that Swinger immediately become off-board.  This does
not change the value of cp.

(v) If after 4+cp repetitions of the procedure described in steps
(i)-(iii), the Swingers' plays still result in conflict, where cp is
the number of checked Swingers, then the Chess Umpire announces that
fact, and all of the checked Swingers automatically Surrender.

(vi) The Special DD-Turn plays conflict if any one or more of the
following are true:

(a) Two or more of the plays call for pieces to move to or capture
pieces on the same square.

(b) One or more of the plays calls for a movement of or capture using
a piece that is the target of a capture in one of the other plays.

(c) The result of the plays would be that at least one of the checked
Swingers would still be in Check.
- -----

Rule 728 ("Swingpoints") is amended by replacing "Absolute Weight"
with "Weight" wherever it occurs.  [Several occurances, all in the
first section.]

Rule 1230.3 ("Swingers Like to Play Around III - mostly odds") is
amended to read:
- -----
[After each play, the Chess-Umpire calculates the Swingers' Weights
and posts that information.]

Each Swinger's Weight is calculated in the following manner:

For a Swinger whose King is on-board
Weight=
(Total material value of the on-board pieces) +
for each piece (add the maximum distance the piece can move, without
making a capture)
for each piece (add 3 if the piece attacks at least one opponent piece)
for each piece (add 2 if the piece defends at least one friendly piece)

For a Swinger whose King is off-board
Weight=0

{{[
3.  Relative Weight for each Swinger is calculated as follows -

if the minimum Absolute Weight is non-zero, then
Relative Weight = Absolute Weight / minimum Weight

if the minimum Absolute Weight is equal to zero then
Relative Weight = Absolute Weight
	--Niccolo pointed out this isn't used anymore

2. The game of Party Chess is Protected.
	--moved this to the top
]}}
- -----

Rule 1230.4 ("Creation of a PartyChessPiece King") is amended by
changing section A to read, "There is an instance limit of one King
per Swinger."  and by removing sections G and H.

Rule 1230.6 ("Creation of a PartyChessPiece Camel") is amended by
replacing the stray quotation mark at the end of section 3 with a
period.  [Random punctuation-harfing.]

Rule 1230.10 ("Creation of a PartyChessPiece Echo") is amended to
read, in full:
- ---
1. An Echo is represented by ASCII character E.

2. The legal move for an Echo depends on the most recent play made by
the Swinger controlling the Echo.

a. If the Swinger's most recent play was either Pass or Placement,
then there is no legal move for an Echo.

b. If the Swinger's most recent play was either Move or Capture, then
the legal move of an Echo is identical to the legal move of the
friendly piece that either Moved or Captured on that play.

3. An Echo's material value is 7 
- ---

[The rule previously said "the play made... in the previous round"
rather than "the most recent play..." and so on.  Since it is possible
for a Swinger to play more than once in a given round, the existing
language can be ambiguous in certain situations.

- --current text

1. An Echo is represented by ASCII character E.

2. The legal move for an Echo depends on the play made by the Swinger
controlling the Echo in the previous round.

a. If the play in the previous round was either Pass or Placement,
then there is no legal move for an Echo.

b. If the play in the previous round was either Move or Capture, then
the legal move of an Echo is identical to the legal move of the
friendly piece that either Moved or Captured in the previous round

3. If the Swinger controlling the Echo played in either a Special
D-turn, or a Special DD-Turn after eir normal play in the previous
round, then the legal move for an Echo is identical to the move of the
friendly piece that either Moved or Captured, during the Special
D-Turn, or Special DD-turn.  This section takes precedence over
section 2 of this rule.

4. An Echo's material value is 7 
]

#end proposal
#thanks

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:36:52 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bonds

Here are the (I hope) final bond yields.

Ackers: 4PFRobert at -.01 = -.04
Ackers: -A$1

/dev/joe: 93PFdevjoe at .18 + 2PFMalenkai at .03 = 16.80
/dev/joe: +A$17

fnord: 1PFmr at .06 1PFsnowgod at .21 + 1PFStrider at .21 + 1PFRobert
at        -.01 = .47
fnord: +A$1

IdiotBoy: 5PFdevjoe at .18 + 5PFStrider at .21 + 5PFMalenkai at .03
+           2PFMohammed at -.02 + 5PFRobert at -.01 = 2.01
IdiotBoy: +A$3

Lestrade: 90PFLestrade at -.015 = -1.35
Lestrade: -A$2

Malenkai: 79PFMalenkai at .03 + 5PFLestrade at -.015 = 2.295
Malenkai: +A$3

Mohammed: 88PFMohammed at -.02 + 17PFNiccolo at .03 + 3PFsnowgod at
.21           + 5PFLestrade at -.015 + 5PFmr at .06 + 2PFdevjoe at .18
+           2PFMalenkai at .03 = .025
Mohammed: +A$1

mr cwm: 94PFmr at .06 + 5PFMohammed at -.02 + 5PFRobert at -.01 = 5.49
mr cwm: +A$6

Narf: 86PFNarf at .03 + 10PFStrider at .21 = 4.68
Narf: +A$5

Niccolo Flychuck: 50PFNiccolo at .03 + 20PFIdiot at .03 + 5PFsnowgod
at                   .21 = 3.15
Niccolo Flychuck: +A$4

Robert Sevin: 85PFRobert at -.01 + 10PFsnowgod at .21 + 4PFNarf at .03
+               2PFVynd at .10 + 1PFMalenkai at .03 = 1.60
Robert Sevin: +A$2

snowgod: 54PFsnowgod at .21 + 5PFMohammed at -.02 + 50PFIdiot at .03
+          3PFNiccolo at .03 + 1PFMalenkai at .03 = 12.86
snowgod: +A$13

Strider: 84PFStrider at .21 + 10PFNarf at .03 = 17.94
Strider: +A$18

Techno: 30PFNiccolo at .03 + 25PFsnowgod at .21 + 30PFIdiot at .03
=         7.05 
Techno: +A$8

ThinMan: 10PFMalenkai at .03 = .30
ThinMan: +A$1

Vynd: 98PFVynd at .10 = 9.80
Vynd: +A$10

Strider
Bond-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:05:40 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

Mohammed wrote:
> > I am building a Plunky Monkey Wrench.
> 	This is done.  I am initiating a public Auction to sell this 
> thing.  The minimum bid is A$ 1.

I bid A$1.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:13:11 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postal Code Changes 103 & 104

Postal Code Change 103:
 Delete:
 "[email-masked] is a public list usable only for submitting votes
  and proposals to the Tabulator and Promoter, respectively.  Messages
  sent directly to this list (i.e., not through another mailing list)
  are public messages only if they perform one of the actions described
  in the previous sentence."

[This is no longer necessary, now that the rule has been fixed.]

Postal Code Change 104:
 Change:
 "acka-financial@wilma may only be used for trades or gifts of entities."
 To:
 "acka-finance@wilma may only be used for trades or gifts of entities,
  and for auction announcements and bids."

[Fix the spelling error, and we need a list with replies back to the list
for the purpose of having auctions.  This one fits.]

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:27:20 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

> > > I am building a Plunky Monkey Wrench.
> >         This is done.  I am initiating a public Auction to sell this
> > thing.  The minimum bid is A$ 1.
	I bid A$15.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:07:05 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

>     I bid A$15.
>
> --Mohammed

  (Sorry, not sure where to send this...)

  I bid A$20.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:50:05 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Dan Knapp wrote:

> >     I bid A$15.
> >
> > --Mohammed
> 
>   (Sorry, not sure where to send this...)
> 

Heh, um, likewise, I'm afraid.

I bid A$30

                          - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #19
******************************