Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #16
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, March 17 1997        Volume 02 : Number 016

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:15:02 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Acka: Going on vacation for a while.

As you can see I haven't been that audible for a while.
RL has been frantic, so I'm putting myself on vacation
for the next two weeks.

Ciao
Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:21:35 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

Observer [email-masked]'s mail has been bouncing for a few days,
due to a full mailbox.  I am exercising my privilege as postmaster to
move him to digest versions of mailing lists, wherever possible.

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:52:33 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Back++

I am changing my e-mail adddress to [email-masked].  I am back
from LA, and have just weeded through 259 e-mails.  It seems it was
not as easy to play the game from the floor of Internet World as I
thought it would be :(

In any case, I apologize for any neglected duties -- I will get to them
now.

Also, I believe I won the cycle.  I saw in one of the e-mails that
my score was 259, and CFJ 345 established that the magic number was
257, and I recall not any publically knowable change to the MN since
that CFJ, and that one did not need to hit it exactly anymore and I
de-goosed myself.  

If this is so, the Fat Lady is singing.  Since things have been hectic,
I may have missed many things, and may be totally wrong, so if the
Scorekeeper could explain... 

I give RoJ F 2 to /dev/joe.  His parade description follows a nice
tradition ;)

There is some private mail sent to [email-masked] that I have not
seen until now.  I was not ignoring it.

BTW, I like the IRC announcements, and I like our rules, and I have no
clue what the rationale about retroactively changing the game state is
(I skimmed most of the mail), but I assure you that a *general* reset
of the game state will cause /dev/joe and myself more work than is
reasonably possible (at least for me), so I personally oppose it on
those grounds unless the situation is truly dire.  If what was being
discussed was not a general reset of the game state, the previous
comment may not be relavent (or is that relevant -- I'm reading a
linguistics book that is attempting to explain why English has such
lame spelling rules).

And sorry for not voting on Fictionary.  If my vote would have counted,
I would have voted for the 'pencil sharpener' one.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:01:13 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Scientist

IdiotBoy has been elected Mad Scientist.  I do not have the vote
tally handy, and apologize, but I believe it was a majority and
not a pluraity.

I also saw that IB is on vacation.  By rule, I must appoint someone
to act, and I appoint ThinMan again (I have a proposal in my personal
queue to clean this rule up, including destroying the Tickle-me Elmo
thing so that that is not a problem).

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:07:26 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 352 Vedict

Call For Judgement 352 -
Subject: Renaming Houses III
Initiator: Mohammed
Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:13h EST) (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: breadbox (selected Mar 08, 1997, 23:14h EST)
Judgement:

TRUE

Statement:

A player may rename another player's home.

Initiator's Comments:

[none provided]

Judge's Comments:

Rule 252 states:

> 1) The New player is granted 1 kaa of urban land and a Small building
> thereupon as their legal residence. This building shall be known as
> their Home. This building shall also be known as "player name's
> House", where "player name" is replaced by their official Ackanomic
> name. A player may change the name of this building by publically
> announcing the new name and unambiguously identifying the building
> they wish to rename.

While it seems fairly obvious that "A player may change the name of
this building" was intended to refer only to the "New player" who is
the house's owner, it is hardly the only, or even the most obvious,
interpretation. "A player" clearly means, in general, any player
(subject to other qualifiers which may appear in the specific
context).

Furthermore, "this building" clearly refers to the same building as
the "this building" in the previous sentence, which is the building
belonging to the new player, and not, say, the building belonging to
the player doing the renaming.

Considering that any of the following phrases:

    "The player may change the name of this building ..."
    "E may change the name of this building ..."
    "A player may change the name of their building ..."

would have been relatively unambiguous in only allowing a player to
rename the building that was given to them, the rule as it stands
must be understood as giving any player the ability to rename any
building that was bequeathed to anyone by this rule.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:10:52 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 353 (Malenkai)

Malenkai has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 353
  Subject: Checking the Party Chess Rules
Initiator: Mohammed
    Judge: Malenkai (selected Mar 16, 1997, 23:12h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

In PartyChess, no Swinger can be checked under the current rules.

Mohammed's Reasoning:

It comes right out of the rules:

Rule 1230.2, section 3. D. (i):
> A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more
> opposing pieces.

Rule 1230.2, section 3. A. iii.:
> A piece (1) is attacking opposing piece (2) if and only if they
> are located on the board such that if it were (1)'s Swinger's turn to
> move, he could capture piece (2) with piece (1).

Rule 1230.4 (Creation of a PartyChessPiece King), section G.:
> A King can be neither purchased nor captured.

The play log on Niccolo Flychuck's Party Chess WWW page doesn't seem
to indicate that anyone has ever been checked.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:44:07 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: End of Cycle 11 (was Acka: Back++)

> Also, I believe I won the cycle.  I saw in one of the e-mails that
> my score was 259, and CFJ 345 established that the magic number was
> 257, and I recall not any publically knowable change to the MN since
> that CFJ, and that one did not need to hit it exactly anymore and I
> de-goosed myself.  

Whoops, my error.  I still had the magic number of 273 left over from
the previous cycle.  The Magic Number was actually 257, and Malenkai
won at the moment he de-goosed himself, Mar 13, 17:13 EST.  The
scores I last posted are the final scores for cycle 11, except that
Robert Sevin's proposal retraction came between Malenkai's win and that
report, so he had 2 more points at the end of the cycle than is shown in
that report.

The Magic Number for the next cycle shall begin at 541, since the base
value was changed to that number during this cycle.

Techno, Jammer, Bascule, Robert Sevin, and Red Barn get
Chartreuse Goose Eggs (and all other CGE's are destroyed).
Sarud does not get one, because he actually didn't join the game
until the new cycle had begun.

I don't think enough A$ were in circulation to cause the tax to take effect,
but the Financier should check this.  This check happens before each player
gets A$ equal to his score minus his eggplant weight.

23 Skidoo and Clairence have been on vacation the entire cycle, which
lasted longer than 30 days, so they are removed from the game.

The Bond dividends for this cycle are going to be really small, as it
ends tomorrow at noon EST and the only scoring so far in the new cycle,
aside from the eggplant weights, is -2 for Robert Sevin and -3 for Narf.
BTW, Narf's claim to the Great Trombone is invalid, and I apologize
to Narf for making him believe it would have been valid.

Narf becomes the Archaeologist.

The Senate needs to select Silver Moon candidates.

Final Scores for cycle 11:
Score   Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----   --------------      ---  -------------
259     Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
202     /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
117     snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley)
110     Strider              A   (Jason McCulley)
86      Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
79      Narf                 A   (Joshua Nave)
69      mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
67      Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
48      Lestrade             A   (John Duncan)
47      Swann               II   (Steven Swiniarski)
40      ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
37      fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
36      Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
30      breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
30      IdiotBoy             V   (Matt Miller)
4       Ackers               A   (Sean Crystal)
3       Vynd                 A   (John McCoy)
1       You can call me Al   N   (Wally Holland)
1       Panther              N   (Terry McKechnie)
1       Clairence           II   (Clair Anthony Viglione)
1       23 Skidoo            I   (David Thomas Fisher)
- -1      Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman)
- -14     Jammer               A   (John Lotz)
- -18     Bascule              Iv  (Matt Black)
- -25     Robert Sevin         Av  (Mitchell Harding)
- -28     Red Barn             A   (Daniel Knapp)

> And sorry for not voting on Fictionary.  If my vote would have counted,
> I would have voted for the 'pencil sharpener' one.

The voting period for fictionary ends at 09:41 EST Mar 16 (tomorrow morning),
so it is not too late to vote.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:48:15 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

Strider wrote:

> I am creating a trinket called the Cheeseburger of Strider-Bonking.  I
> am giving this to Malenkai.

Thanks.  I throw it at Strider.  Due to the wonderful properties
of acka-physcics, I still own it.  I throw it at Strider twice more, then
eat it.  I repeat this for awhile.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:05:18 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ackrobot 

  I hereby cast the following unambiguous votes:
#vote 1786 y y y y
#vote 1792 y y
#vote 1798 y y
#vote 1800 n y

  I also cast the following ambiguous votes:
#vote 1790 p p
#vote 1795 p p p

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:12:05 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Undead

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth, but the undead-harfer is on vacation,
and the prez has not appointed a new one.  These are the player
records for Clairence and 23 Skidoo (to be deleted from my page).
I know Clairence was active, I do not remember about 23 Skidoo.

As a note, Clairence was removed monday the 10th (60 day rule), and
23 Skidoo was removed the earlier of the 14th and the end of the
cycle.  I did not announce them due to being overwhelmed at the
conference.

Malenkai

- --------------------------------------------------------------

<A NAME="A"></A><A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">23 Skidoo</A> 
(David Thomas Fisher) [[email-masked]]
   Joined: December 10, 1996, 07:04 EST
   On Vacation <A 
HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rule200.html#R255"><IMG 
SRC="out.gif" ALIGN=middle width=32 height=20 border=0></A> (since Dec 15, 
01:33 EST; ER: Jan 14, 01:33 EST)

   Cash : 1191 A$
   Bonds: 100 PF23Skidoo

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

<hr>
<A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">Clairence</A> (Clair Anthony Viglione) 
[[email-masked]]
   Joined: December 3, 1996, 04:21 EST
   On Vacation <A 
HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rule200.html#R255"><IMG 
SRC="out.gif" ALIGN=middle width=32 height=20 border=0></A> (since Jan 09, 
22:44 EST; ER: Jan 11, 22:44 EST)
   Has a Chartreuse Goose Egg <A 
HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rule600.html#R668"><IMG 
SRC="cgegg.gif" width=30 height=45 border=0 ALIGN=middle></A>

   Cash : 1200 A$
   Bonds: 100 PFClairence

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:14:29 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New PLayer (Mentor: Robert Sevin)

snowgod wrote:
> 
> There is a new player in Ackanomic.  Everyone take a moment to welcome Jim
> Priz <[email-masked]> to the game.  He has chosen Sarud as his
> Ackanomic name.

His starting cash is A$ 1134.

Sarud +1134 new player

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #16
******************************