Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #8
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, March 9 1997         Volume 02 : Number 008

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 22:22:16 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Wager

Salutations!

Due to chess, I post the following.

Strider-10PFStrider
Narf+10PFStrider

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 22:51:44 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Creation

Salutations!!

I am creating a Trinket called "The IRC Trout of Slapping"
It is worth A$10

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 03:59:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  RFC CFCJ changes

[This makes 2 changes:  allows CFCJs to be brought against organizations;
extends the "grace period" to the time it becomes illegal to appeal the
CFCJ.

It's kind of hard to "reverse" player expulsion or Organizational
disbandment without stretching the ban on retroactive effects, I think.
Anyway, I found that with that change, this RFC actually shortens the rule
and (imho) makes it less lawyerly. 

Oh, and (nervous look) I sort of changed all the penalty names from
UPPERCASE to Capitalized.  Does that fall under the category of needless
tinkering?  If there are objections on the grounds of heritage over
aesthetics, I'll change 'em back. 

Rule 710/10 ("Criminal Justice") shall be amended to read, in full:
- ---
This rule defines the Call for Criminal Judgement (CFCJ)
procedure.  Except as detailed in this rule, it shall be like the Call
for Judgement in all ways, including how it is submitted, how judges
are selected, how it is appealed, etc.  Any changes to the CFJ
procedure will automatically be "inherited" by the CFCJ procedure when
they do not contradict the exceptions detailed in this rule.

1.  A court fee of A$20 will be paid by the player making the CFCJ, to
the Treasury at the time the Clerk of the Courts first distributes the
CFCJ.

2.  A CFCJ will be clearly labelled as such, to distinguish it from an
ordinary CFJ.

3.  A CFCJ shall name a defendant, which shall be either a player or
an Organization.  The statement to be judged shall assert that the
defendant has committed a Crime.

No more than one CFCJ may be brought against a single entity for a
single instance of allegedly committing a Crime.  No one may be tried
more than once for the same alleged instance of Criminal activity (an
appeal is considered a continuation of the original trial).

4.  It shall include a "suggested penalty" section, which is a
recommended penalty to be imposed on the defendant, should a verdict
of TRUE be reached.  More than one class of penalty may be
recommended.  The valid classes of penalties are:

a) a Deduction of 1 or more points from the defendant's score, if the
   defendant is a player.
b) a Fine of 1 or more A$ payable by the defendant to the Treasury.
c) a Sentence in the Gaol of 1 or more days for the defendant, if the
   defendant is a player.
d) the Transferal of one or more entities owned by the defendant to
   the initiator of the CFCJ.
e) a Public Apology of 1 or more lines by the defendant, if the
   defendant is a player.
f) the Expulsion of the defendant from the game, if the defendant is a
   player.
g) the Disbandment of the defendant, if the defendant is an Organization.

6.  Upon a verdict of FALSE on the CFCJ, no penalty shall be imposed
upon the defendant.

7.  Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge may retain or alter the
recommended penalty.  The result will become the actual penalty.  This
will be imposed following a "grace period", unless the verdict is
overturned on appeal.  The grace period on a TRUE CFCJ ends when it
becomes illegal to appeal the CFCJ.

a) If the penalty was a Sentence in the Gaol, the defendant shall be
moved from their current Location to the Gaol at the end of the grace
period, at which time their sentence will start.  If any such player
was already in the Gaol at the end of the grace period, the sentence
they are currently serving shall be increased by the length of the new
sentence.

b) If the penalty specifies a Transferal of any entity which it is
not permissible to transfer, that part of the penalty shall be void,
but such shall not necessarily void other parts of the penalty.

c) If the penalty includes a Public Apology, the defendant is
required to post a public message of at least the court-required
length apologizing for his criminal ways.  This should be done within
three days of the expiration of his grace period, and it should have
"Acka: Public Apology" as its subject line.  Failure to comply will
result in the addition of three days to that player's Gaol sentence,
if he is in Gaol, or the immediate transfer of that player to the Gaol
for a three-day incarceration if he is not in Gaol.  Self-abasement is
especially encouraged in such a message.

8.  All other verdicts shall work as they would for a CFJ.  Any verdict
may be appealed as with a CFJ.

a) If a TRUE verdict is not upheld on an appeal, any penalties,
except Sentence, are nullified and shall not be applied.

b) If a TRUE verdict is upheld on an appeal, the appellate court or
judge may impose a penalty different from the previously imposed
penalty.  The previous penalty is not the applied at the end of the
grace period; the new penalty is applied instead.
- ---

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 04:34:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Renaming my houses

I am renaming breadbox's House to Mohammed's Spring Gazebo.
I am renaming Ackers's House to Mohammed's Summer Igloo.
I am renaming Robert Sevin's House to Mohammed's Autumn Hammock.
I am renaming Niccolo Flychuck's House to Mohammed's Winter Mosque.
I am renaming Mohammed's House to the Oasis.

- --Mohammed
(This is governed by Rule 252.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 01:57:04 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver key 

I am giving the Silver Key to /dev/joe.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 05:43:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  ghost

The ghost word is "zona".

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 11:05:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Scientist

I vote for:

Vynd

IB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:01:14 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 349 (Narf)

Narf has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 349
  Subject: Public Actions
Initiator: Mohammed
    Judge: Narf (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:01h EST)
Judgement: 

Statement:

Voting on a proposal is a public action and cannot be accomplished
through private mail.

Mohammed's Reasoning:

Let me prelude this by saying I sincerely hope it gets judged False
somehow.  I may have overlooked some stuff.  Anyway:

Rule 260 ("Public Actions"):
> If the rules specify that a certain course of play is available to a
> player or organization, but do not specify how that course of play
> is to be taken, then that course of play is a public action, and it
> is taken as described above.

Rule 408 ("Tabulator and Count Tabula"):
> The Office of the Tabulator is a Functional Office. The Duties of
> the Tabulator are:
> (a) to count votes on each proposal.

Rule 106 has more on voting, but it doesn't mention the Tabulator.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:07:36 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 350 (fnord)

fnord has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 350
  Subject: Renaming Houses I
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: fnord (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:08h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

In R252 section 1, in the sentence " A player may change the
name of this building by publically announcing the new name and
unambiguously identifying the building they wish to rename." refers to the
player's own building.

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

When we see the word 'this' in a sentence such as the above sentence in a
phrase such as 'this building', we need to ask 'which building' in order
to resolve the phrase unambigously. Since no building is mentioned in that
statement (which statment? the above statement, as the previous sentence
clarifies), it must refer to a building that was refered to in a preceding
sentence. In those sentences (which ones? why, the preceding ones, of
course), the building refered to is clearly the player's own building, and
not just any building the name of which is satisfies the formula "player
name's house." Therefore 'this' in the quoted sentence unambigously
referes only to the player's own building.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:09:55 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 351 (CnH)

CnH has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 351
  Subject: Renaming Houses II
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:11h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

The name of the residence owned by Niccolo Flychuck is Niccolo
Flychuck's House

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

Mohammed posted  a message to the effect that e was renaming Niccolo
Flychuck's House. I argue that the house was not renamed, since the rule
the regulates house naming and renaming does not in fact allow Mohammed to
rename any house e likes. This rests on the other CFJ I submitted where I
argued that 'this' reffered only to the player's own house. That
interpretation implies that Mohammed's attempt to rename houses failed,
and therefore all the houses supposedly renamed in that posting retained
their original names. Specifically Niccolo Flychuck's House was not
renamed, and is still named Niccolo Flychuck's House.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:12:06 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 352 (Robert Sevin)

Robert Sevin has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 352
  Subject: Renaming Houses III
Initiator: Mohammed
    Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:13h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

A player may rename another player's home.

Mohammed's Reasoning:

[none provided]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 23:14:02 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 352 (breadbox)

It has been reassigned to breadbox.

Clerk of the Courts
- --------------------------------------------------
> 
> I regretfully decline to judge the CFJ.
> 
> Robert Sevin
> 
> At 10:12 PM 3/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Robert Sevin has been chosen.
> >
> >Clerk of the Courts
> >------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Call For Judgement 352
> >  Subject: Renaming Houses III
> >Initiator: Mohammed
> >    Judge: Robert Sevin (selected Mar 08, 1997, 22:13h EST)
> >Judgement:
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >A player may rename another player's home.
> >
> >Mohammed's Reasoning:
> >
> >[none provided]
> >

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #8
*****************************