Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #7
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, March 8 1997        Volume 02 : Number 007

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 00:53:26 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Here's Niccolo's signon message from the former registrar, chess piece face

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked] Thu Mar 28 11:20:58 1996
> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:12:54 -0600
> From: "jonas (my name is)" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: ackanomic: official: and if you thought yesterday was fun...
 [To: list deleted... this is in the days *just* before Acka's first
  mailing list; at this time people were using personal aliases to send
  mail to all the other players and observers, but due to the office of
  Publicist, Acka suddenly had 30 players and 15 observers instead of
  10 players and 5 observers.]

> greetings from the ever popular office of the registrar.  to begin today's
> festivities, we've got quite a few transitions of players that occurred over
> the night.  to begin with...
> 
> Aziz Al-Afaliq                  [email-masked]
>    Ackanomic Name : (None)
> 
> if officially a dead player and needs to be removed from your mailing lists,
> no one ever got mail from him, so i guess that's it there...
> 
> Stephen Zumbach <[email-masked]>  has left the game, and i think
> that this has allready been announced but he informed me that he was still
> recieving mail from some people (at least from me) so this is just to make
> sure he isn't on your lists.
> 
>  Eric Murray <[email-masked]>  has given this address
> now,and it does in fact work, so previous new addresses i gave yesterday
> were mistaken, and this is in fact the correct one to send to.
> 
> 
> and now for the fun part... 7 new players, 3 new observers and for the first
> time in the history of the game, an observer has decided to become a player!!! 
> 
> players...
> 
> Matt Clark Robbins <[email-masked]>  acka name: Red Herring
> Stewart Beatt <[email-masked]>            acka name: Flunky
> Alex Harisiadis <[email-masked]>                  acka name: ILIOS
> Eric Pogrelis <[email-masked]>   acka name: Pogie
> Dave "RoaE" Mescher <[email-masked]> acka name: Thanatos
> Jean-Francois Robichaud <[email-masked]>    acka name: Skouididedli
> Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>                 acka name: Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> AND observer turned player:
> Aaron Jeffrey Gage <[email-masked]>    acka name: (none yet)
> 
> 
> and some observers to top it off...
> 
> Marc Roos <[email-masked]>
> high-phat content <[email-masked]>
> Charlie Garrison <[email-masked]> 
> 
> 
> and thank you for your support.
> 
> cpf.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:43:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Here's Niccolo's signon message from the former registrar, chess piece face

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>                 acka name: Niccolo Flychuck

That's the way it's written on 'The Prince', too.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:46:21 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Museum

mr cwm's donation to the Museum yesterday puts him over A$1000.
Thus, assuming the self-modifiying parts of the Museum rule work,
the East Wing is renamed to the mr cwm Wing.

Malenkai
Curator

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:38:05 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Postal Code

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

What do people think of the Postal Code?  After closer inspection (and
discovering it will increase the amount of mail I must handle), I think
its a step backward, but if I'm the only one, I'll drop it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:05:50 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic: Proposal 327 

There is a new Internomic Proposal, Number 327, proposed by Niccolo
Flychuck of Ackanomic.  I hereby initiate a senate vote on it.
Furthermore, I am urging the senators to vote yes.  This could be lots of
fun.

snowgod
Ambassador

- ----------------------------------

Internomic subGames

1. There exists a class of entites known as Internomic subGames. They may
also be reffered to as subGames.
2. The list of existing subGames is maintainted by the Internomic Games
Masters' Guild (IGMG).  Each member nomic may appoint one of its players
to be a member of the IGMG. Member nomics are encouraged, but not
reaquired, to appoint players involved with analogous classes of entities
within their respoective nomics.

2.  A listing for a subGame consists of its name, the name of its author,
the nomic of which that author is a member, and a subGame description.

3. The IGMG also maintains a General Equipment section, which describes
entities that may be used with any of the subGames in the subGames list.

4. Entities from the General Equipment section have no influence on
Internomic entities outside the scope of the subGames in which they are
used.

5. Equipment for a subGame is implicitly created when an instance of a
subGame starts and is implicitly destroyed when the specific instance of a
subGame in which it is used is over.

6. A subGame description specify the following things, even if the
specification is "none."

a. Entities from the General Equipment section used in the specific
subGame.

b. A list of entities specific to the subGame that can be used as part of
the subGame. All the restrictions that apply to entities from the General
Equipment section apply to subGame specific entities as well.

c. Upper and lower limits on the number of participants in the specific
subGame. The minimum for the lower limit is 2. The lower limit may not be
specified to exceed the upper limit. Either limit may be specified as an
integer or or an expression such as "the number of active players when an
instance of the game is instantiated", so long as the previous conditions
of this sub-section are not violated. If a limit is specified as a
non-integer, it shall be evaluated when the subGame is instantiated, and
shall not "float" while the Game is in progress, unless the Game's rules
specify otherwise.

d. The rules for the subGame.

e. The number of referees, and how those referees are chosen.  Referees
may neither win a subGame which they are refereeing, nor can they be
penalized as a result of their particiaption in a subGame. They may
be rewarded for acting as referees provided that the rewards consist of
subGame Tokens, and the number of subGame Tokens does not exceed 5.

f. Conditions for winning the game.

g. Any additional information necessary to play the subGame.

8. Games may only manipulate Internomic entities as specified in this
rule.  The following manipulations are permissible:

a. subGames may specify a transfer of subGame Tokens from the IGMG to
participants of referees in the game, subject to the restrictions
specified by the  rules of the nomic of which a player is a member,
provided that at most 50 subGames Tokens are transferred from the IGMG to
a specific instance of a subGame (or a particiapnt or a referee within the
subGame). Each member of the IGMG should track this for members of eir own
nomic.

b. subGames may specify transfer of subGame Tokens among participants,
and fromthe participants to the IGMG. If subGames do not specify any
provision for handling a case when a player does not have a sufficient
number of subGame Token, then a referee has the option expelling such a
player from the subGame.

9. subGames, or entities to the general equipment section are added to the
list of subGames in one of the following ways.
a. The acceptance of an Internomic proposal which describes a new subGame.
b. The accpetance of an Internomic proposal to import a subGame from a
member nomic. subGames are imported according to the applicable rules in
the member nomic from they are imported.

10. subGames or entities from the General Equipment section may be removed
from the list of subGames, or ammended by an Internomic proposal which is
accepted according to the rules.

11. An instance of a subGame may only be started in accordance with its
rules for doing so. A player may not join an instance of a Game in
progress, except as specified in its rules. Any Game should be designed in
such a way as to handle the contingency of any of its players or referees
quitting it at any time. An instance of a subGame may not be started if
there are the set of members of the IGMG is the empty set.

12. Particiaption in subGames in voluntary. No player can be forced to
particiapte in a subGame, or to referee in one. A player may leave a
subGame at any time.

13. Any player of any member nomic may particiapte in subGames provided
that the nomic of which e is a member meets the following criteria:
a. Has a class of entities defined to be analogous to Internomic subGames
b. Has appointed a player as a member of the IGMG.
c. Has defined means by which subGames Tokens can be created, and means by
which players can become owners of subGame Tokens

14. subGame Tokens are Internomic entities. The IGMG is hereby granted the
right to produce as many subGame Tokens as necessary for the purpose of
giving them to participants and referees in subGame. Any subGame Tokens
left over are the property of the IGMG and are not considered by any
single member of the IGMG. Whenever there are no instances of subGames in
progress the IGMG may own at most 50 subGame Tokens. Any excess Tokens are
destroyed.

15. Any nomic which is a member of Internomic is hereby granted permission
to create subGame Tokens.

16. Member nomics are encouraged to define rules by which description of
entities analogous to Internomic subGames  can be Imported by Internomic.

- -----------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 01:23:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : on harf

http://www.pair.com/harf/

http://cyber.tec.army.mil:80/archive_lang/tcl/1996.11/55367.html

From http://rogue.northwest.com/~spot/spotspeak.html

harf 

(harff) v. 1. 1. To cough up a hairball, as done by a cat. 2. To cough up
something like it is a hairball, as in 'I harfed my pizza' 3. To be
coughed up like one is a hairball, as in 'PSU harfed my connection!' 4. To
generally be bad or suck, as in 'This harfs!' harfed, harfing. adj. harfy.

- -----------------------------------------------

He also used to say: Whoever recited a harf (letter) from the Book of
Allaah, it will count for him as one good deed, and a good deed is worth
ten times over. I do not mean that "alif laam meem" is a harf, but "alif"
is a harf, "laam" is a harf, and "meem" is a harf.148

The Prophet's Prayer Book Described - 20 JUL 95

- -----------------------------------

http://www.krl.caltech.edu/~brown/news/sysadmin-html/1041.html

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 01:37:47 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka :  Internomic proposal 327

I'm sending this to both Ackanomic and Internomic.

I have submitted this proposal for several reasons. First, I think it
could be fun, we have developed an interesting sub game culture in
Ackanomic, and I think it would interesting to play subgames with players
of other nomics. I also see this as a vehicle to strengthen internomic
ties not just between nomics but also between players of different nomics.
It has been my real life experience that such ties often serve as the
basis for other kinds of interaction between the nomics themselves.

This could also be seen as a non destructive test bed for exploring
internomic interactions, which seems a very interesting area for me.

Niccolo Flychuck 
Ackanomic GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:19:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Not Really Acke 

I was cruising around the Web yesterday and I found a new game to help me
procrastinate As if Acic wasn't enough :).  YOu guys may be interested in
checking out the Hollywood Stock Exchange at www.hsx.com.  It s simulation
of a stock exchange where you can buy and sell shares of movie stocks or
"StarBonds" based on the popularity and market value of a star.  It uses
real time trading and Real box office information.

Seems like a whole lot of fun.  I've already made $70,000 Holly Dollars by
making a shrewd trade in Howard Stern.

snowgod
we need something like this for acka :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:22:13 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic P328 

There is a nother new proposal, P328, Proposed by Niccolo Flychuck of
Ackanomic.   I am initiating a senate vote on it.

snowgod
Ambassador

- ---------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "The naming of names"

I.
A native Internomic name is a string  with a maximum length of 32 ASCII
characters, except for the colon character (:), which may not be used in
native Internomic name.
Only entities created within the scope of Internomic, that is, as part of
Internomic play, or by a rule in the Internomic ruleset have native
Internomic  names.

II.
Every entity in every member nomic which has a namealso has an
Internomic
name. The Internomic name of such entities is made up of three strings
concatenated into a single string in the following order:
 The first string - the name of the member nomic in which the entity first
appeared

The second string - the colon characer, i.e. :

The third string - the name of the entity within the member nomic in which
it first appeared

III.
The rules may define legal aliases which can be used instead of an
Internomic name. A legal alias is a native Internomic name.
The name of any player of any member nomic, as it is known within the
nomic of which e is a member, is a legal alias for the Internomic name of
that player.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 19:59:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Scientist

I think this sets a record for volunteers for an office.  The
candidates follow; voting ends in 3 days.  Send your votes to me
for the office of Mad Scientist.

- ---------------------------------------------------------

Ackers
IdiotBoy
Ludwig
Narf
Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:13:20 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mad Scientist 

>I think this sets a record for volunteers for an office.  The
>candidates follow; voting ends in 3 days.  Send your votes to me
>for the office of Mad Scientist.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------
>
>Ackers
>IdiotBoy
>Ludwig
>Narf
>Vynd

Before I cast my vote I need to know what each of the candidates hopes to
name their first monster.  Also, if each candidate could compose a poem
praising the voters it would be much appreciated.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:02:00 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IRC 

Strider and I are on IRC playing Chess.  If anyone is interested, come join
us.  If you are new and haven't used Ackanomic IRC yet, point your browser
at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~snowgod

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 21:23:59 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Processing Chips Auction

The PC auction is over.

Malenkai +20 -10PC
ThinMan -20 +10PC

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #7
*****************************