Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #6
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, March 7 1997         Volume 02 : Number 006

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 21:59:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hretics on IRC 

There is a rumor circulating on IRC that the earth is as round as the
bowling ball which has replaced Calvin N Hobbes head.  I am viamently
opposed to this theory but figured that I should pass it along so that
others know of the evildoing that goes on there.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 22:55:23 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Evil Twin

Salutations!

I am asking Red Barn to be my Evil Twin, assuming he acks.

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:05:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hretics on IRC 

>There is a rumor circulating on IRC that the earth is as round as the
>bowling ball which has replaced Calvin N Hobbes head.  I am viamently
>opposed to this theory but figured that I should pass it along so that
>others know of the evildoing that goes on there.

Note that it is a *round* (gasp) bowling ball.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 03:01:49 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postal Code Change 101

If there are not two objections in the next three days,
the following changes will be made to the postal code:

Before the period at the end of the sentence beginning with acka-games@wilma,
insert ", or trades or gifts of entities"

Before the period at the end of the sentence beginning with acka-chess@wilma,
insert ", purchases of party chess pieces, and trades involving only Party
Chess Pieces and Ackadollars."

Change
 "acka-research@wilma and acka-discuss@wilma may not be used for any action."
to
 "acka-research@wilma and acka-discuss@wilma may only be used for trades and
  gifts of entities, but it is preferred to perform these on acka-finance."

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:04:59 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Recent IRC Ghost game 

  Well, I had a sideline bet with CnH over who would win, and, as I lost, here's
the promised limerick:

  <ahem>
  On IRC a ghost game was played,
  with responses a good deal delayed.
  Dev/joe played "hiphuggers",
  among many others,
  but RSevin is now quite repayed.

  Thank you, thank you.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 05:23:28 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  acrobot  (retracting 1767)

I'm retracting the "Printing Presses" proposal, since even if it passes 
it will be ineffectual.

#retract proposal 1767
#thanks

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 06:10:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Inventor

I am destroying the lonely Blueprint for the Bonus Vote Add-On.  I am 
announcing this new Blueprint for the Bonus Vote Add-On.

Bonus Vote Add-On
- ---
The Bonus Vote Add-On is a mechanical Gadget.  When it is created, it
is not broken.

A player who has both a Vending Machine and an unbroken Bonus Vote
Add-On can strap the Add-On to the Vending Machine.  The owner of a
Bonus Vote Add-On can unstrap it if it is strapped to something.
Should either the Add-On or the Vending Machine change ownership while
one is strapped to the other, the Add-On becomes unstrapped.

While an unbroken Bonus Vote Add-On is strapped to a Vending Machine,
the Vending Machine can vend Bonus Votes.  The price of a Bonus Vote
is A$ 500, to begin with.

If a player ever buys a Bonus Vote from a Vending Machine he or she
owns, the new Bonus Vote is immediately destroyed.  At midnight on
Sunday, if more than 5 Bonus Votes were purchased from the same
Vending Machine during the past 7 days, then the Bonus Vote Add-On
attached to that Vending Machine will smash to the ground and become
unstrapped and broken.  It will also spurt lots of nasty smoke.

It is dangerous to operate on a broken Bonus Vote Add-On.  Whenever
someone tries to use a Plunky Monkey Wrench to fix a broken Bonus Vote
Add-On and is unsuccessful, the Bonus Vote Add-On explodes, and the
Player who tried to fix it is transported to the Ackanomic Afterlife.
Further, if the Player who tried to fix it did not announce at the
time that he or she made sure to be well clear of everything fragile,
all Trinkets and destructible Gadgets he or she owns are destroyed.
The Bonus Vote Add-On is destroyed in the explosion.
- ---

And, while I'm at it, I'm announcing this new Blueprint for the Miniature 
Tread Attachment Device.

Miniature Tread Attachment Device
- ---
In this Blueprint, MTAD stands for Miniature Tread Attachment Device
and PCPD stands for PartyChessPieceDef.

A MTAD is a mechanical Gadget.

A Player may use a MTAD he or she owns to tinker with any one PCPD Rule. 
The MTAD then removes the sentence "The piece defined by this Rule may
also, alternatively, move one space either vertically or horizontally." 
from any PCPD Rule in which it appears and adds that sentence at the end
of the PCPD Rule specified by the MTAD owner as the one with which he or 
she is tinkering.
- ---

- --Mohammed
not trying to get impeached
at the limit allowed by the scientist rule?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:07:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  debt

Hey, i've been tinkering.  What do you think about our debt rules? 
They're cool little rules.  I like the idea of "divots" and "slavery".
(What happens if the Treasury doesn't have enough A$, though?)

I don't think the rules are necessary, tho, because the rules don't say 
negative A$ can exist.  They *do* say negative points can exist, but to 
me -A$ sounds like a stretch.  Whatever rule claims to be sucking A$ out 
of your account is overruled by R500.1, IMO.  You can't suck something 
that doesn't exist.  Or can you?

In light of that, I think we should just repeal R510 and R511.  Or repeal 
R511 and replace R510 with much, much weaker language, something like:

An attempt by a player or Organization to take an action will fail if 
that player or Organization doesn't own the right entities to pay all the
costs, if any, associated with that action.

Trim fat?  I dunno, they're charming rules... a lot of the rules in that 
area still refer to players where it sort of ought to be entities.  
(R505, e.g.)  I might propose a rip to change it.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:15:18 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping

I was just looking at the Player/Entities page.  Where'd I get so much
money? (Where'd Niccolo Flychuck get so much money?) 

I hereby create the Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping.  It consists of
eight golden statues of semi-nude women, standing about a foot high and
arranged facing outward in a circle about 18 inches in diameter.  Each is
encrusted with a variety precious, semi-precious, and
not-at-all-precious-but-still-glittering stones representing such clothing
as she is wearing.  Each has a replica of a historic timepiece in her
navel, representing the history of timekeeping from waterclocks and
hourglasses right through atomic primary standards. On their upraised arms
they support a horizontal golden disk engraved with a map of Ackanomia,
set with a variety of stones as above, representing various buildings,
features, and locations in Ackanomia, as well as a few stones that don't
represent anything but fill what would otherwise be relatively stone-free
areas. 

It's worth A$999.

I go to the museum.  I set the Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping on the
steps, as a donation.  I press the doorbell and run.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:27:09 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Time Check (Malenkai)

Forwarded message:
> From owner-ackanomic  Thu Mar  6 08:36:59 1997
> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 10:35:05 -0800
> From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.01 (Win95; I; 16bit)
> Subject: Acka: Ghost (/dev/joe)
> 
> "handfed" is not in the official dictionary.
 [etc.]

The "From owner-ackanomic" time above is the time the message was received
in my mailbox.  Whatever machine Malenkai sent this from (probably at work),
not only does it have the West Coast Netscape bug (time zone should be -0500
instead of -0800), but he also seems to erroneously still be on daylight
savings time, so as a result the time is *four* hours off (actually sent
at 09:35 EST; marked 13:35 EST).  This will probably affect all Malenkai's
advtelecom.com messages until he fixes the problems. :-)

/dev/joe
Time Lord :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:58:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Swingpoints

Swingpoints.
This Tuesday that just passed Swingpoints were given out again.

ThinMan had four, so they are converted to 8 points

Mar 4 ThinMan +8 Swingpoint conversion

Ludwig had three and they are converted to points as well
Mar 4 Ludwig +6 Swingpoint conversion

Now there are only three Swingers so Swingpoints are given out as follows:

Niccolo Flychuck +3 Swingpoints
Ludwig +2 Swingpoints
Strider +1 Swingpoint

Share & Enjoy
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 20:13:43 -0600
From: "Stephen D. Gullings" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bye.

Ackanomians,

	I'm sorry, but I've gotta' leave......forever.  :o(  (For now. my dad
doesn't understand it, and doesn't think I do.)  Well, sorry. 
Bye........ :o(

						Smiley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:12:10 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Band (was Acka:Bye.)

We now need a new singer.  For now the band will have to scream its vocals from 
untrained voices.  We plan to be the best that tortured weasels could offer.  
I'm going Opera here if someone doesn't join quick.  Anyway, if the other 
members agree, I think we should hold a gig on Sunday.  No cost, since it is our 
first, but donations will be gladly accepted.  For now, give the A$ to Jammer, 
hopefully we will be more formal later.  I hope to see all of the Fans at the 
Band Shell.
Ludwig, ConCussionist Extrordinaire

On Thu, 06 Mar 1997, "Stephen D. Gullings" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Ackanomians,
>
>	I'm sorry, but I've gotta' leave......forever.  :o(  (For now. my dad
>doesn't understand it, and doesn't think I do.)  Well, sorry. 
>Bye........ :o(
>
>						Smiley
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 23:01:57 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bye.

Smiley wrote:

> Ackanomians,
> 
>         I'm sorry, but I've gotta' leave......forever. 

No undead is created, and Smiley's possessions do not become haunted,
because he never became an active player, as far as I know anyway...

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 23:36:45 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bond Trading

A little history of the early days of bond trading, due to its
resurgence lately.  Its interesting to note the prices offered:

- ----

Mohammed Wrote, on April 2nd, 1996:

> I love the prospect of being paid interest on bonds.  I'm voting
> for proposal 565, on the subject of Dividends.  In fact, I'm so sure
> it'll pass that I'll buy up bonds from people right now, A$1 per
> ten bonds sold.  Any takers?

- ----

pTang1001001sos wrote, April 10th, 1996:

> I'm offering good A$ for the PFBonds that we each have 100 of.
>
> I'll pay up to A$0.40 for each PFBond you're willing to sell
> to me, up to a maximum of 50 from any given Player.  (The
> price I'll pay for your Bonds will depend upon who you are.)
>
> WOW!  What a deal!

- ----

CarsesraC wrote, April 11th, 1996:

> Don't sell you PFBonds to him if I can offer you max A$ 0.50 for each
> PFBond. My mininum offer is A$0.20 for the PFBonds of 'chess piece
> face'. For offer on your PFBonds email me privately and I will let
> you know. My offer will be based on the actual political point you
> have and on the outcome of future proposals.

- ----

Simon Marty Harriman wrote, April 11th, 1996:

> I would like to buy one pfbond from each of you at the outrageously high
> price of A$0.75!!!!!!
> WOW!
> Please send me mail as soon as possible to sell.
> DING DING DING

- ----

I believe this was the first transaction that set the A$ price of a 
bond (my format is alot simpler :))

>--------------------------------------------------------------------
> Notice of transaction:
>CarsesraC           : 1 PFCarsesr bonds to Simon Marty Harriman
>Simon Marty Harriman: A$0.75 to CarsesraC
>--------------------------------------------------------------------

In those days, players had A$100 apiece.  The average balance as of 
a couple days ago is A$1060, indicating A$8 per bond, all other things
being equal.  Given that we accumulate points faster now than in those
days, all things are not equal.  Perhaps A$35 per bond is too cheap ;)

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:47:47 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Trinket creation 

  I'm creating an A$10 trinket.  I call it "internomic".  Does it need a
description?  OK, then: it's a complex tangle of lines, all coming together
upon a very sparse ruleset.

Red Barn -A$10 +internomic

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 00:00:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BuzzBee

BuzzBee has been On Ice for 68 days.  8 of those days were 
holidays.  He was removed from the game as of 00:22 this morning.

Would the Undead-Harfer and other officers please update their
records, etc?  I will leave his player record on the P/E page for the
next week or so.  Was he ever active?  If not, the Undead-Harfer may
not have to do anything.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #6
*****************************