Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #4
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, March 5 1997       Volume 02 : Number 004

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 00:02:05 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IRC 

The IRC party is still going, join us

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:45:11 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Would you believie it? Another New payer 

We have yet another New Player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Sean Crystal
and his email address is [email-masked].  He ahs chosen Ackers for
his Ackanomic name.

Calvin N Hobbes has been selected as his mentor.

His answer to the Market Research Question is the biggest load of bull I
have ever read :), but hey, he founded us, he can say what he wants.  Oh
yeah, one more thing.  He has no undead, so its technically a new player.

>	Well, that's a quite interesting story.  I was backpacking in the
>forests of Oregon, when I came upon a short, rather stout little man
>who said his name was Harmon.  He told me that the universe that I
>lived in was a false one, full of lies and deceit.  He promised to
>show me the true universe.  I agreed, and he clubbed me over the head
>with a tree branch, knocking me out cold.
>	When I awoke, I was in a room filled with piles of dead fish.  The
>stench was unbearable.  Then my eyes were drawn to the familiar shape
>of Harmon, still holding the club.
>	"This is the real universe."  he said.  Which surprised me, because
>for the moment, the universe consisted of the two of us, and a big,
>dusty room filled with fish.  He then handed me a scroll with an 'A'
>emblazened on the endcaps.  And on this scroll was written a set of
>numbered rules.
>	"This is the true universe" he said.  "This, and only this."  I
>looked over the document, taking in the profundity of his statement.
>"What about the fish?"  I asked.
>	"Never mind them.  Now, take this document, and show it only to
>those who would follow you into the true universe.  With them you
>will build a world like no other.  And it shall be known as
>Ackanomica."  With that, he took a step back, whacked me over the
>head with the branch again, and dived into a pile of fish as I faded
>out.	When I came too, still reeling from the events, I went forth
>from the forests of Oregon to find those who would follow me into the
>true Universe of  Ackanomic.

Welcome him back to Ackanbmic once again!
snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:36:58 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Trinket 

I am creatinbg a new trinket called uropokan with avalue of A$20. It is a
statue representing a style of fighting using only paper napkins.  I am
presenting it to Ackers in recognition of his fine play in ghost, the only
play last night able to usurp both brr and ustiox.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 03:10:09 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: New Trinket

I am creating a new trinket called the Tube Top of Kyle Bannor with a 
value of A$50.  It is a finely woven circle of the finest elastic 
material in the land.  It brings a sense of pride and dignity to 
anyone who wears it.
- ---
Ackers
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 03:18:22 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Burying treasure

I am burying the Tube Top of Kyle Bannor, valued at A$50.  May the 
worthiest soul find it.  The following groups of characters and 
numbers may or may not be a clue to the map:

0E41 6501 4013 3C61 751F 5084 0443 D609
40A4 0060 C403 3054 0D40 1500 0030 A0B1 
F2F8 F9F

7137 E753 7EB5 6ABA F4B0 6C66 147D 221A
D7FE 44F2 2457 E6DB 9045 70F3 DC2

- ---
Ackers
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 00:01:17 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-A-Donkey 

Well, I had promised not to begin a new game of Grab-A-Donkey unitl the
current game of Fictionary ended, but it has become increasingly apperant
that Fictionary has become a game of "almost epic preportions" (thanks
breadbox).  Therefore, I am announcing that three days hence from now I
will begin a new game of Grab-A-Donkay.  If you wish to be excluded from
the GAL, please let me know now.  Niccolo, unless you say otherwise, I
already have you marked as excluded.

This game shall be known as the "Habeous Corpus Memorial Grab-A-Donkey Fiesta"

snowgod
who got the hint from Malenkai's proposal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 00:06:38 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Forehead 

I hereby give my Second Presidential Campaign foreheaed designed for myself
(the snowgod snowgod aSPEC) to mr cwm who may or may not have 9 foreheads.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 09:01:48 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Dangling

By my count, snowgod is the only priest who did not pray, thus
his house is dangling.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 09:04:04 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Scientist

Swann has been on ice for about 22 days.  He is impeached from the
office of Mad Scientist.

A nomination for the office of Mad Scientist is being held; e-mail
me if you wish to volunteer for the office.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:04:35 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forehead

Thanks.  (That's an acknowledgement, if necessary.)  I'll put it with the
other 7 or 8, until such time as Ackanomia decides to enter the finacial
utopia associated with AsSPEC-backed currency.  Or until I think of
something else.

- -mr cwm

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

>I hereby give my Second Presidential Campaign foreheaed designed for myself
>(the snowgod snowgod aSPEC) to mr cwm who may or may not have 9 foreheads.
>
>snowgod
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:12:46 +0200 (EET)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Forehead Auction

I just started a public Forehead Auction over on acka-finance.
Mail me for details.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:24:41 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RoJ Auction

The RoJ fragment auctions are over:

Fragment 21 (public): Narf @ A$50
Fragment 10 (shubik): Narf @ A$50, ThinMan A$42
Fragment 7 (private): ThinMan @ A$59

Narf -100 RoJ Auctions
ThinMan -101 RoJ Auctions

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:32:12 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Keys

The various keys have been owned by players for 7 days.  As of last
night, they have eaten the following entities from the following
players:

Robert Sevin -7A$ [gold key]
snowgod -Pyriac Frobnotzer (1) [silver key]
ThinMan -processing chip (1) [bronze key]

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:40:00 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Processing Chips Auction

I am auctioning, in a public auction, a lot of 10 Processing Chips.
These could be useful in various ways.  This is a lot sale: only
one auction.  The minimum bid for the batch is A$10.

(This auction is being conducted on acka-finance, but indication of
its occurrance is being posted on the main list, as seems to be
game custom).

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:22:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Today, I finally attacked my home and started rifling through my
belongings, searching for Phoebe. (I had been waiting to get Fibber
out of my house beforehand, you see, afraid that Phoebe might take the
good-natured humor behind its existence the wrong way.) I had not been
searching long when, sure enough, behind the wastepaper basket I found
a little matchbox - red and blue, very pretty, if a little battered. I
opened it up, and out popped a great many strike-anywhere matches. Of
all things. The matchbox, I remembered belatedly, was a memento I had
brought home from a long-ago parade. (Somebody had been using them to
set off some R115-firecrackers, I don't remember who.) I then had to
gather the scattered matchsticks, and in my haste I accidentally
ignited one as I picked it up, burning a fingertip and causing me to
drop it, subsequently lighting several others.

After I had finished extinguishing the tiny fires, cleaning up the
remaining matches, and rearranging the furniture so that the sofa
covered the new holes in the carpet, I was too tired and frustrated to
continue ransacking my own home, and so went straight to bed. But,
there, at the head of my narrow bed, sitting on my small pillow was a
half-open matchbox, and a glittering flea perched atop.

"Phoebe!" I said. "That has to be you."

"Breadbox," she replied in a tiny but clearly-enunciated voice, "well
met. You are eager to talk with me, I have a feeling."

"Yes," I hesistantly replied, sitting down upon the bed (not too
close, lest my weight bend the mattress and threaten her balance). "I
guess I'm rather fascinated by the idea of being audience to wisdom
from a nanotech flea."

"Ah, yes, several of you Ackanomians seem to regard me with a certain
fascination. And yet, breadbox, you strike me as one who is not quick
to take proffered wisdom to heart. In fact, you most often keep your
own counsel, I gather. Advice from those who have seen more than you,
you are wont to file away, and take it out to consider its value only
much later - perhaps even well after the fact? And that may be good or
bad. Perhaps Ackanomic is best served by a senator who will not be
swayed by other's words, and perhaps the worst historian is the one
who does not learn from anyone else's experiences, including the ones
he chronicles. Perhaps, perhaps. A Nomic can prosper through every
kind of participant, and can wither under a different configuration of
the same people.

"Have I made you nervous yet? A bit unsure of yourself, even?" She
paused and looked at me. I think she was grinning. I nodded, of
course: she most certainly had. I couldn't tell if my face was pink
with embarrassment or pale with self-doubts. "But don't be, breadbox!
I'm not asking you to search your soul and build yourself a
new-and-improved personality - at least, not yet. Knowing your
tendencies, I'm giving you this advice now, for you to file away. I
predict that you'll finally take it out and examine it, and act on it
or not, in good time. In time for you to know what role you truly wish
to play in Ackanomic for when it matters most. And: since I know you
have an interest in the viciously self-referential, I also decided to
tell you my ulterior motive for giving you this advice now. And my
ulterior motive for *that* is simply that I think you'll eventually be
forced to return to what I've said today and make a decision.... Even
if it's only to find out how it all ends!"

At this Phoebe bade me goodnight, and climbed down into her matchbox.
I gently lifted it off my pillow and laid it down on the nightstand.
But as I laid down myself, I realized that Phoebe had disturbed my
thoughts much too much for me to even consider sleeping. Losing a grip
on my politeness briefly, I sat up in bed and said, in a plaintive
whine (which is embarrassing to recall), "Phoebe! So then everything
you've said is all addressed to a future me? You have nothing to say
to the me that is here and now?"

Phoebe poked her head out and considered me. "No, I suppose not. Not
wisdom, anyway. But I don't want you, or the you that is here and now,
as you put it, to feel snubbed. For this you, then, I can sing a
little bedtime song. Perhaps it will help you sleep." And she began to
sing, in a chanting nursery-rhyme sort of voice, the following:

"When a Nomic's feeling daring, and feels like scaring up the bats--
 When a Nomic's feeling comic, or trageodramatically flat--
 When a Nomic's folks are sharing, and are wearing, many hats--
 That's when the Steel Fleas visit, just to hear them say: 'What's THAT?!'

"La la la, la-la la la, the Steel Fleas travel one by one.
 La da da, la-la la la, the Steel Fleas have them on the run.
 The Steel Fleas all come out of hiding, riding ponies and horseflies.
 La la la, la-la tee dah, the Steel Fleas love a big surprise!

"When a Nomic's lost its conic sections; ellipses are made illegal--
 When a Nomic's drunk its tonic, ..."

There was more ... much more, I think, but this is all of her song
that I can recall. I know that the words written down here look
pointless and juvenile, but for me, her nursery rhyme had a strong
soporific effect. I soon forgot to worry over my newly acquired
worries, and instead found myself trying to follow the nonsensical
images of the song. And at some point, long after I was sensible, I
fell fast asleep.

I remember no dreams, and woke up feeling very refreshed, but
apparently I tossed and turned a great deal that night, for the
bedsheets were twisted and half on the floor, along with my right leg
and most of the objects I had left on my nightstand. I searched the
room for a good hour, but the one thing I couldn't find was Phoebe's
red-and-blue matchbox.

b

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:44:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Off vacation

  Well, I'm back.  What did I miss?

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:38:26 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Feat of Modern Science 

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have succeeded in printing all of
the Acka ruleset onto 7 printed pages, front and back.

Robert Sevin

(and you can still read it!)

ps -- Acka IRC is good

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 18:37:11 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Would you believie it? Another New payer

Ackers wrote:

> > I offer up an unprecedented A$50 for 5 pfBond Ackers
> 
> My friend, you have a deal.  May the turtle of precedent bless your
> wallet.

Please at least quote the other half of the message so that I can
figure out who this trade is with.  My brain is too fogged to follow
every thread in Acka.  I'm not trying to be picky (although I'm being 
picky :) -- but its much less work for me if this is noted at the time,
especially when there are several trades a day).  The preferred form
for financial transactions is:

Ackers +50 -5PFAckers
Whoever -50 +5PFAckers

Also, for trinkets, if you could put the name of the trinket on the
line, it would help out alot.  For example:

Whoever -600 The Golden Frog

If you are giving a Trinket away, either of the following will do:

Whoever -600 The Golden Frog
Whoever -The Golden Frog
HeyYou +The Golden Frog
- --- or --
Whoever -600
HeyYou +The Golden Frog

For those of you who have been following my requested format, I thank
you.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 19:21:18 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Would you believie it? Another New payer

Ackers wrote:

> A thousand pardons...

10,000 Thanks

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 18:37:19 -0600
From: "Stephen D. Gullings" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My fellow Ackanomians......

Ackanomians,

	I am posting a msg. about a leave of absence.  Please still send the
e-mails.  I'll just catch 'em up in about a week or two.  Ludwig-> I
didn't know you guys needed a vocalist for the band!  I'm off on my way
to a Chorus/Special Chorus/Show Choir conert to perform right now! 
Well, I'd be happy to sing, as well as play trumpet, as long as I can
pick one of the songs.  (Remember Me This Way- my fav. ballad from a
movie-Casper-)  Well, the movie's not too great, but......anyway, I'm
gone for a week or two.  I'll be back, and when I come, I'll read your
e-mails that you send me.  Even if I miss the concert, just say I was
there.)  :o)  Hey, when is the concert?  Well, bye!  :o)

					Smiley :o)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:08:41 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Lead Guitarist, etc.

Lead Guitarist desired.  Must play loud and obnoxious music.  Must be capable of 
preforming occasionally at the Band Shell.  Other instrumenters etc. desired as 
well.
Ludwig, Percussionist (Concussionist)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:08:34 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Lestrade)

Phoebe's matchbox has been found by Lestrade.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:23:00 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Yet Another New Player

snowgod wrote:
> 
> We have yet another new player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Wally
> Holland and his email address is [email-masked].  For his
> Ackanomic name he has chosen You can call me Al.

His starting cash is A$1050.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:27:55 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Would you believie it? Another New payer

snowgod wrote:
> 
> We have yet another New Player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Sean Crystal
> and his email address is [email-masked].  He ahs chosen Ackers for
> his Ackanomic name.

His starting cash is A$1064.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 19:04:26 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bond Yields

Salutations!

	Here are the bond yields for the period ending Monday, March 3, 1997 at
12:00.

breadbox--94PFbreadbox at .29=28.71 
Calvin N Hobbes--100PFCalvin at .15 =15.00
/dev/joe--95PFdevjoe at .47 + 10PFThinMan at .15 =44.65
fnord--94PFfnord at .12 + 1PFbreadbox at .29 + 1PFmr at .29 +
1PFsnowgod 	at .29 + 1PFStrider at .31 =12.46
IdiotBoy--10PFsnowgod at .29 + 5PFJammer at .08 + 5PFdevjoe at .47 + 	
5PFStrider at .31 + 5PFMalenkai at .93 + 2PFMohammed at .22 	=13.29
Jammer--90PFJammer at .08 =7.20
Lestrade--90PFLestrade at .09 =8.10
Ludwig--100PFLudwig at .17 =17.00
Malenkai--80PFMalenkai at .93 + 5PFLestrade at .09 =74.85
Mohammed--75PFMohammed at .22 + 40PFsnowgod at .29 + 5PFLestrade at .09 
+ 5PFfnord at .12 + 5PFJammer at .08 + 5PFmr at .29 +43.00
mr cwm--94PFmr at .29 + 5PFMohammed at .22 + 1PFfnord at .12 + 
1PFThinman at .15 =28.63
Narf--90PFNarf at .48 =43.20
Niccolo Flychuck--50PFNiccolo at .31 + 20PFIdiot at .04 + 5PFsnowgod at 
.29 =17.75
Robert Sevin--100PFRobert at -.015 =-1.5
snowgod--17PFsnowgod at .29 + 18PFMohammed at .22 + 50PFIdiot at .04 + 
20PFNiccolo at .31 + 5PFMalenkai at .93 =21.74
Strider--94PFStrider at .31 + 10PFNarf at .48 =33.94
ThinMan--89PFThinMan at .15 + 10PFMalenkai at .93 =22.55

Any player not listed had no change in score.  Since there are no
fractional Ackadollars, the actual payments are as follows.

breadbox +A$28
Calvin N Hobbes +A$15
/dev/joe +A$44
fnord +A$12
IdiotBoy +A$13
Jammer +A$7
Lestrade +A$8
Ludwig +A$17
Malenkai +A$74
Mohammed +A$43
mr cwm +A$28
Narf +A$43
Niccolo Flychuck +A$17
Robert Sevin -A$1
snowgod +A$21
Strider +A$33
ThinMan +A$27

Please notify me if you notice any discrepancies. 

Strider
Bond-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:05:39 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:Revised bond yields

Salutations!

	Thanks, /dev/joe for pointing these out.

/dev/joe--95PFdevjoe at .47 + 10PFThinMan at .15 =46.15
IdiotBoy--10PFsnowgod at .29 + 5PFJammer at .08 + 5PFdevjoe at .47 + 
5PFStrider at .31 + 5PFMalenkai at .93 + 2PFMohammed at .22 	=12.29
Mohammed--75PFMohammed at .22 +40PFsnowgod at .29 + 5PFLestrade at .09
+ 	5PFfnord at .12 + 5PFJammer at .08 + 5PFmr at .29 =31.00
ThinMan--89PFThinMan at .15 + 10PFMalenkai at .93 =22.65
Techno--30PFNiccolo at .31 + 25PFsnowgod at .29 + 30PFIdiotBoy at .04 
=17.75  I'm really, REALLY sorry I forgot you!

Actual payments are as follows. (because payments are rounded in favor
of the entity receiving them)

breadbox +A$29
Calvin N Hobbes +A$15
/dev/joe +A$47
fnord +A$13
IdiotBoy +A$13
Jammer +A$8
Lestrade +A$9
Ludwig +A$17
Malenkai +A$75
Mohammed +A$31
mr cwm +A$29
Narf +A$44
Niccolo Flychuck +A$18
Robert Sevin -A$1
snowgod +A$22
Strider +A$34
Techno +A$18
Thinman +A$23

Any more mistakes...?

Strider
Bond-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:36:39 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re-revised bond yields

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > Actual payments are as follows. (because payments are rounded in favor
> > of the entity receiving them)
> 
> > Robert Sevin -A$1
> 
> > Any more mistakes...?
> 
> Just one.  I think Robert Sevin's debt (which was -1.5 A$) is rounded
> in favor of the treasury, since that's where A$ are going -- so this
> should be -A$2.
> 
> /dev/joe
/dev/joe is correct.

Robert Sevin -A$2

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #4
*****************************