Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #544
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, February 28 1997       Volume 01 : Number 544

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:43 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1742 accepted (Non-voting Players)

Proposal 1742
Non-voting Players
/dev/joe

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 16 = 75.000000%
Yes:  11    No:  2     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

/dev/joe +2 : EP P1742

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Lestrade
	Mohammed
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Ludwig
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Narf
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Jammer
	Robert Sevin
	Strider
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1742
Non-voting Players
/dev/joe

This is a grandiose proposal.

[Gist: Allow players to join Ackanomic as non-voting players; these
players cannot vote, make proposals, or judge CFJs, etc.
Non-voting is added as an extra player state.]

1. In Rule 252, "Joining the Game", at the end add this paragraph:
"Any player joining the game may specify that they are joining as
a non-voting player.  Otherwise, they are assumed to be joining
as a voting player."

2. Amend Rule 254, "Player States", to read in full:
"At any given time, exactly one of these states shall apply to each player:

Pending
Active
Vacation
Non-voting

Upon registration, a player is Pending, unless he specified that he
was joining as a non-voting player, in which case he is Non-voting.
A player in either of the states "Pending" or "Active" is considered
a voting player.

A Pending player becomes Active when it becomes publically knowable that
he has voted on a proposal.

Only Active players may be randomly selected for anything, except
where the rules specifically allow non-active players to be selected.

Any non-voting player may become a voting player by posting publicly
that they are doing so; e begins as Pending.  A player may not do so
within two days of having joined as a non-voting player or of having
changed from voting to non-voting status, voluntarily or otherwise.

Any voting player may become a non-voting player by posting publicly
that they are doing so; at the moment of this announcement, all their
existing votes on proposals whose results have not yet been released
are cancelled; they are treated as having declined judgement on all
CFJ's they have been selected to judge but not yet accepted or declined,
and treated as having failed to return a verdict on any they have accepted,
and they are removed from all offices non-voting players cannot hold,
and removed from the list of candidates in any Election or Nomination
for an office non-voting players cannot hold."

3. Amend Rule 255, "Vacationing", by adding to the end of the first paragraph
  "Whenever a player goes on vacation by any means, his player state
  becomes Vacation."
by changing 
  "he shall no longer be considered on vacation" (in the 5th paragraph)
to
  "he returns to the player state besides Vacation he most recently had."

[This is a little tricky -- I'm sharing the one Vacation state between
voting and non-voting players, and this little bit of glue ensures the
player states are managed correctly.  An odd side-effect is that vacationing
players are not voting players, but they weren't active players before
either and it didn't hurt anything.]

4. Amend Rule 422, "Postmaster", as follows:
In the second sentence, change:
  "official mailing list"
to:
  "official mailing list and a separate official voting mailing list"
and insert after the second sentence:
  "[The official list is intended for messages of importance to all
  Ackanomic, and the official voting list for messages of importance only
  to voting players.]"

In the fourth paragraph, just before the comment, insert:
  "For the purposes of this paragraph and the restrictions in the Postal
  Code, an action is a statement that the player is doing something
  regulated by the rules, or a public post required by the rules."

Change the first sentence of the fifth paragraph to:
  "For a player not on vacation not to be subscribed to at least one
  form of the official mailing list is a Crime.  For a voting player not
  on vacation not to be subscribed to at least one form of the official
  voting mailing list is a Crime."

Add to the end of the rule:

{{ The Postal Code is amended as follows:

   Change "ackanomic@wilma is the official mailing list" to
   "ackanomic@wilma is the official mailing list; actions pertaining
    to Games & Contest games, Grab-a-Donkey, and The Machine that
    Goes *ping*, or anything else besides treasure hunts described in
    the rules as a subgame are not allowed on this list"

   At the end of the limits on acka-games@wilma, change "*ping*" to
   "*ping*, or anything else described in the rules as a subgame"

   Change "ackanomic-digest@wilma is also the digest form of acka-games@wilma"
   to "acka-games-digest@wilma is the digest form of acka-games@wilma"

   Add to the end the following:
   "acka-voting@wilma is the official voting list; proposal distributions,
   proposal result posts, and CFJ-related posts are the only actions
   allowed on this list (but CFJ's pertaining to matters of interest
   to non-voting players should go to the official list instead).
   acka-voting-digest@wilma is the digest version of this list.
   Players are requested (but not required) to join this list in digest
   form if that doesn't bother them, to prevent a huge backlog of mail
   queueing up on wilma when a lot of proposals/results are distributed.

   acka-research@wilma and acka-discuss@wilma may not be used for any action.
   acka-research-digest@wilma and acka-discuss-digest@wilma are the digest
   versions of these lists and are subject to the same restrictions."
}}

5. Amend Rule 107, "Quorum and Active Players", to read in full:
  "If the number of players who voted on a proposal is equal to or
   greater than the number of abstaining Active players at the time
   the results are posted, the proposal meets quorum; otherwise it
   does not meet quorum."
[fixes the P1701-1706 dilemma]

[Now take care of the piddly bits, mainly changing "player" to
"voting player" where appropriate.]

6. In Rule 101, "The Game of Ackanomic", in the 3rd paragraph,
change "player" to "voting player" in the sentence that begins
"A player may only win a Cycle" and after that sentence insert
"Non-voting players may not win Cycles of Ackanomic."

7. In Rule 104, "Adopting Proposals", in the first paragraph, change
"Proposals are made by" to "Voting players may make proposals by",
and change "distribute them to the players" to "post them publically".
In the last paragraph, change "all players have cast a vote" to
"all voting players have cast a vote".

8. In Rule 106, "Voting on Proposals", change "Players" to "Voting
players" each time it appears. [3 times]

9. In Rule 207, "Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported",
in section V, change "be placed on vacation" to "become non-voting" and
add to the end of that section "The events which Rule 254 generates when
a player voluntarily changes to non-voting status do not occur in this
case, but if a player who became non-voting by this rule does not become
a voting player within a week of having become non-voting, then the
events in Rule 254 are carried out as if the player voluntarily became
non-voting.  Players who become non-voting in this manner do not lose
offices they hold because of doing so, until they have remained non-voting
for one week; this takes precedence over rule 401."

10. In the first sentence of Rule 211, "Invoking Judgement",
change "active player" to "player", and change "distribute it to the rest
of the Players" to "distribute it publically".

11. In Rule 219, "Winning By Paradox", change
  "if the final verdict is true then the initiator wins the cycle"
to
  "if the final verdict is true, and the player who submitted the CFJ
  is a voting player at that time, then that player wins the cycle"

12. In Rule 220, "Winning by Points", in the fourth paragraph, change
"a single player" to "exactly one voting player"; in the fifth and sixth
paragraphs, change "two or more players" to "two or more voting players"
wherever it appears.

13. Amend Rule 222 as follows:
In the second paragraph, change "any Player may submit" to "any voting
player may submit"; in the sentence after that one, change "one Player"
to "one voting player".  

In the fourth paragraph, after "If a Player goes on Vacation or leaves
the Game" insert " or becomes a non-voting player", and before that
sentence insert "Non-voting players are never eligible to receive Keys."

In the paragraph just before the numbered list at the end of the rule,
change "a single Player" to "a single voting player" and "a Player opens"
to "a voting player opens".

14. In Rule 257, "No Dead Players Allowed", change "any player" to
"any voting player" the first time it appears, and change "all of
the Ackanomic players" to "all of the voting players".

15. In Rule 317, "Bonus Votes", in section 5 change "A player can use"
to "A voting player can use" wherever it occurs [twice] and add at
the end of the section of the section the sentence: "Non-voting
players may not use Bonus Votes."  In section 7 change "A player
may pay $A150" to "A voting player may pay A$150".

16. In Rule 360, "Hearings", at the end of the second paragraph, add
"Non-voting players may not vote in hearings, unless a rule says
otherwise for a specific type of hearing."

17. In Rule 362, "Crisis Resolution", in section 3, change
"Any player may publically challenge" to
"Any voting player may publically challenge".

18. In Rule 401, "Offices, Commonalities", at the end of section (i),
add "Non-voting players may not hold offices unless a rule says
otherwise for a specific office."  At the end of section (iv)
add "Non-voting players may only be acting officers for offices
which may normally be held by non-voting players."

19. In Rule 402, "Offices, Related Definitions", in section (ii)e)
change "each Player may cast" to "each voting player may cast".

20. In Rule 404, "Offices, Impeachment":
In section (i) change "by a Player" to "by a voting Player".
In section (ii) change "All Players" to "All voting players".
In section (iv)a) change "active Players" to "active voting players".

21. In Rule 421, "Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy",
in section d, change "2 players" to "2 voting players".

22. In Rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild", in section C, change "single
player" to "single voting player".

23. In Rule 597, "The Frankenstein Monster(s)", change
"Any Player (including the Mad Scientist)" to "Any voting player
(including the Mad Scientist)".

24. In Rule 709, "Gaol", in the numbered list of actions allowed to
players in Gaol, change "player" to "voting player" in actions 1 and 2.
{{[making a CFJ or CFCJ]}]

25. In Rule 723, "Rewarding Party Unity",
  change "every member of a political party"
  to "every voting player a political party"
  and change "every three distinct members of that party"
  to "every three distinct voting players in that party".
{{[ Allow non-voting players in parties without taking away the
party's unity vote(s), and don't count them for the purpose of
determining now many unity votes the party gets -- a party with fewer
than three voting members gets zero party unity votes, as always.]}}

26. In Rule 850, "Museum", in section VII, after "exceeding A$5000, "
insert "if e is a voting player, "

27. In Rule 909, "Steel Flea", change "lucky player" to "lucky voting
player" in the second paragraph, and change "any other Player" to
"any other voting player" in the 4th paragraph.

28. In Rule 927, "Silly Vacation Hat", in the second paragraph, change
"a player" to "a voting player".

29. In Rule 1112.3, "Let those who are without Harf cast the first stone.",
change "any Player" to "any voting player".

30. In Rule 1213, "Grab-a-Donkey", at the end of the first paragraph add
  "A non-voting player may be the Wrangler."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:40 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1758

Proposal 1758
Advance Token to Broadway
Narf

This is a modest proposal

{{number this rule 847}} 

1. There exists a type of entity known as streets.
2.Streets divide the rows of houses and other buildings in Ackanomia, and
extend off the edge of the map, linking Ackanomia to the rest of the world.
3. There are 22 unique streets. They are grouped together in sets of 2 or 3.
If any player owns all of the streets in
a group, e is said to have a monopoly. The 22 streets are named and grouped
as follows: Group 1 (Baltic Ave,
Mediterranean Ave), Group 2 ( Connecticut Ave, Vermont Ave, Oriental Ave )
Group 3 (Virginia Ave, St.
Charles Place, States Ave), Group 4 (New York Ave, Tennessee Ave, St James
Place), Group 5 (Kentucky
Ave, Indiana Ave, Illinois Ave), Group 6 (Ventnor Ave, Atlantic Ave, Marvin
Gardens), Group 7 (Pennsylvania
Ave, North Carolina Ave, Pacific Ave) and Group 8 (Park Place, Boardwalk).
 Other streets, unique or otherwise, may exist in Ackanomia as well.  These
streets may even overlap the streets named in this rule.  This rule has no
effect on currently existing streets within Ackanomia.
4. Once a week, on a day convenient for im, the officer in charge of random
things will select one of the streets named in this rule at random.  If the
street is unowned, a public shubik auction will be held for the street.  If
nobody buys the street, it shall remain unowned.  If the street is owned,
then the player who owns it shall be paid by the treasury according to the
chart in paragraph 6.
5. A player who owns a monopoly may build Mhouses and Mhotels on eir streets.
These Mhouses and Mhotels
are built in the wilds of Ackanomia, to encourage the growth of our city. A
player must build an equal number of
Mhouses or Mhotels on every street in the monopoly. MHouses for streets in
groups 1 and 2 cost A$5 each.
MHouses for streets in groups 3 and 4 cost A$10 each. MHouses for streets in
groups 5 and 6 cost $15 each.
MHouses for streets in groups 7 and 8 cost $20 each. A street may never have
more than 4 Mhouses on it. If a
street has 4 Mhouses on it, a player may purchas a Mhotel for that street, by
paying what it would cost to build a
5th Mhouse. If a Mhotel is built, all Mhouses on that street are removed, and
replaced by a Mhotel. No Mhouses
may be built on a street that has a Mhotel, and no street may have more than
one Mhotel. Mhouses and Mhotels
may be demolished. If a player demolishes a Mhouse or Mhotel, e shall receive
half of what he paid for it in
compensation. These rules describe the only ways in which Mhouses and Mhotels
may be built, purchased,
obtained, destroyed or otherwise manipulated.
6. Earning money: [here we break from "traditional" Monopoly rules]  When the
officer in charge of random things chooses a street that is owned, the player
who owns it shall be paid according to the chart below, as a reward for
investing in the future and growth of Ackanomia.

     [ on the left are group numbers. At the top is the number of Mhouses. ]
If a street is chosen, and that street is part
     of an owned monopoly and there are no Mhouses or Mhotels on that street,
the player shall receive twice the
     ammount of money printed here. All amounts shown are in A$ 

                                       Mhouses
                        0      1       2       3        4      Mhotel
     Group 1     $2    $5     $7     $12    $16    $20
     Group 2     $4    $9     $13   $19    $23    $27   
     Group 3     $6    $13   $18   $26    $30    $34
     Group 4     $8    $17   $23   $33    $37    $41
     Group 5     $10  $21   $28   $40    $50    $60    
     Group 6     $12  $25   $33   $48    $58    $68         
     Group 7     $14  $29   $39   $57    $70    $85    
     Group 8     $16  $33   $45   $65    $80    $100  

     {{7. Location: The streets are located in Ackanomia as follows, and
should be indicated as such on the official
     map of Ackanomia. The location of the streets has no game effect and is
for aesthetic purposes only. Players are
     encouraged to take civic pride in the streets that eir house lies upon. 

     The following 12 streets run East to West, and are located on the map in
the following order, with the first street
     running across the top of the map, the second street running between
rows A and B, etc...:Baltic Ave,
     Mediterranean Ave, Connecticut Ave, Oriental Ave, Vermont Ave, St
Charles Place, States Ave, Virgina Ave,
     St James Place, New York Ave, Tennessee Ave and Kentucky Ave. 

     The following 10 streets run North to South, and are located on the map
in the following order, with the first street
     running along the left side of the map, the second street running
between columns 1 and 2, etc..:Indiana Ave,
     Iliinois Ave, Ventnor Ave, Marvin Gardens, Atlantic Ave, Pacific Ave,
North Carolina Ave, Pennsylvania Ave,
     Park Place and Boardwalk. }} 

8. Transfer of ownership: Streets themselves can not be moved, but ownership
of them can be transfered. If
ownership of a street is transfered, all Mhouses or Mhotels on that street
are transfered with it. [I put this in the rule in order to be specific about
what happens to Mhouses and Mhotels when the street is bought/sold/traded,
etc...]

     [if this proposal passes, I have some fun ideas for ways to expand on
it, and encourage other players to do the
     same. Railroads, the utilities, Community Chest and Chance cards (maybe
working with the current Otzma
     cards?) can be worked in, as well as our existing gaol.] 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:45 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1746 accepted (Lestrade's Shubik Auction Suggestion)

Proposal 1746
Lestrade's Shubik Auction Suggestion
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  10 / 16 = 62.500000%
Yes:  9    No:  2     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

Malenkai +2 : EP P1746

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Jammer
	Niccolo Flychuck
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	/dev/joe
	Lestrade
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	Narf
	Ludwig

PRESENT votes:
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Mohammed
	Robert Sevin
	Strider
	snowgod
	ThinMan
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1746
Lestrade's Shubik Auction Suggestion
Malenkai
Thu Feb 20 12:07:32 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 516, "Auction", to replace:

"
      6b) In a public auction, each bid, except the first one, must
exceed the previous bid by at least 10%, or it is disqualified. 
"

with:

"
      6b) In a public auction, each bid, except the first one, must
exceed the previous bid by at least 10% for regular public auctions,
and at least 1% for Shubik auctions, or it is disqualified.  
{{Malenkai loses 5 points, Lestrade gains 5 points.}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:41 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1759

Proposal 1759
Controlling Interest
IdiotBoy

IdiotBoy

If a player (player A) owns more than 50% of the PFBonds associated with
another player (player B), player A is said to have a "controlling interest"
in player B.

Player A may direct player B, in whom he has to controlling interest, to
vote in a certain way on a given proposal.  This is known as "exercising
one's controlling interest."

Exercising on'e controlling interest is accomplished by posting a public
message which unambigously states the following:

a) Player A is exercising his controlling interest in Player B.

b) The proposal on which player A is exercising his interest.  The deadline
for voting on this proposal must be at least 2 days after the message
is posted.

c) The vote which Player B is to cast on the proposal.

When player A exercises his controlling interest, A$30 is transferred from
player A to player B, to cover player B's costs.  Also A$20 is transferred
from player A to the Clerk of the Courts, to file the appropriate documents.

If player B does not vote in the way specified, he is guilty of Stiffing His
Shareholders.

A player who has Stiffed His Shareholders will:

a) Have A$50 transferred from his account to player A, to reimburse with
damages.
b) Have A$30 transferred from his account to the Clerk of the Courts, to
have the paperwork corrected.
c) Have A$1 transferred from himself to the owner of each PFbond in his
name, including player A. [e.g., snowgod owns 60 PFIdiot, Malenkai owns 40
PFIdiot. If IdiotBoy Stiffs His Shareholders, IdiotBoy would pay A$60 to
snowgod and A$40 to Malenkai.)

{{[This will have no immeadiate effect.  We treat PFBonds kind of like stock
now, anyway.. and this is a move in that direction. The most likely
person to be quickly effected is myself, since all my PFs are public and
snowgod already holds 50 of them.]}}
#endproposal
#proposal
#current

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:43 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1743 accepted (The Day the Earth Stood Still)

Proposal 1743
The Day the Earth Stood Still
snowgod

Votes cast by active players:  11 / 16 = 68.750000%
Yes:  10    No:  4     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

snowgod bribed Tammany A$ 25 to vote YES.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Tammany
	fnord
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	snowgod
	Lestrade
	Malenkai
	(None Yet) Unity vote

NO votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Narf
	breadbox
	/dev/joe

PRESENT votes:
	Jammer

Active players who did not vote:
	Mohammed
	Robert Sevin
	Strider
	ThinMan
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1743
The Day the Earth Stood Still
snowgod

Create a new rule entitles "The Sinister Alien Abduction Act" with the
following text:

Section I - Abduction

Sinister Aliens exist. They are located at an advance staging base on the
metallic universal sphere directly over the top of the earth (henceforth
known as the edge of the universe). Sinister Aliens may alter the text of a
Rule, in the manner and under the conditions set out below. This process is
known as "abduction". The effect of an abduction on a Rule, when it has an
effect, is that of a temporary repeal of said Rule, plus any prescribed
rule changes contained herein .

The selection of the Rule to be abducted by Sinister Aliens occurs as
follows: as soon as possible after the distribution of the magic potato,
the Officer in Charge of Random Things shall select a random integer in the
range [M,N], where M and N are, respectively, the numbers of the lowest and
highest numbered Rulespresent in the Ruleset. A number selected by this
method shall be known as a Alien Target Designation Number. If the Alien
Target Designation Number selected is the number of a Rule, then that Rule
is abducted as described below unless the Rule is protected as described
below, and no further Alien Target Designation Numbers are selected in that
week. If the Alien Target Designation Number is not the number of a Rule,
then a new Alien Target Designation Number is selected as above, unless
three such Alien Target Designation Number (none of which is the number of
a Rule) have already been selected in that week. In that case, the Sinister
Aliens are deemed incompetant and no Rule can be abducted until the next
Magic Potato distribution.

If a Rule has been abducted or if an abduction attempt has been made but
defeated, the Officer in Charge of Random Things shall announce the number
and title of that Rule. If no Rule has been abducted, then he shall
announce that fact.

It is considered good form for the officer in charge of random things to
include an epic tale of  Ancient Alien Battles or a story of the Sinister
Alien's journey from the edge of the universe in this announcement.  It is
also considered good form to announce that the Sinister Aliens "were surely
the Nemesis of our own Ancients" and that "We shall One day triumph over
them, just as our forefathers, the ancients, must have!"

An abducted Rule shall be treated as if it has been repealed for a period
of one week.  After one week the rule is said to be returned by the aliens.
All nomic business related to said rule will be put on hold until the rule
is returned by the Sinister Aliens. Any deadlines that would be violated
because of the abduction shall be extended one week. Any Bad Pointer
References created by the abduction (and temporary repeal) of this rule
shall be treated as ambigous rule changes.

When returned, the rule is amended in the following way:

A) If the Rule does not already contain the sentence "This Rule defers to
all other Rules which do not contain this sentence.", then that sentence is
appended to the Rule.

B)If the Rule already contains the sentence, then the sentence is deleted
from the Rule.

[Popular Theory maintains that the Sinister Aliens are are amending our
rules as some sort of sick practical joke.]

Section II - Protection

The President may purchase an Earth Defense Missle for any Rule for the sum
of A$250 per Rule. No other player may purchase Earth Defense Missles, but
it is considered good form for a player to donate money to the President to
help defray costs. The Prresident may not purchase more than two Earth
Defense Missles in any one clander week.

If the Sinister Aliens attempt to abduct a rule that has been protected
with Earth Defense Missles the aliens shall be blown out of the sky and the
rule designated by the Alien Target Designation Number will remain intact,
and in its original form. The President then has the option acting "hip"
and making a speech congratulating Ackanomic on its victory.

Section III - Exemption

There is one exception to the above: if this Rule is the abducted Rule the
Sinister Aliens shall have abducted the only power they maintain over our
ruleset.  As it would be impossible for them to return the rule, this rule
shall then repeal itself.

All Rule Changes caused by the Sinister Alien Abduction Act shall be
attributed to Sinister Aliens.

{{[This rule is a port (w/ modifications) of the Agoran virus rule.  Note
however that I have been planning a rule like this for quite sometime, even
before I knew of the virus, and was not influenced by the Agoran Rule in
the creation of this one.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:57:44 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1745 rejected (Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition)

Proposal 1745
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition
Narf

Votes cast by active players:  11 / 16 = 68.750000%
Yes:  7    No:  6     Present:  0   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	Jammer
	Narf
	fnord
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	snowgod

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	Lestrade
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	Mohammed
	Robert Sevin
	Strider
	ThinMan
	Techno

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:03:34 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 348 Verdict

> >Call For Judgement 348
> >Judgement: FALSE
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >Robin Hood's house is dangling.
> 
> Does this mean that there are several buildings still dangling, even if we
> have not determined what they are yet?  If the undead houses weren't
> dangling, something must be dangling in there place.

Rule 1321 just chooses 5 buildings at random and attempts to have them
lose their suction cups and start dangling.  The Undead rule takes
precedence and prevents the action from occurring.  R1321 doesn't say
to choose 5 buildings it can actually affect; for that matter, buildings
that were already dangling could already chosen again, with no additional
effect.

One of P1751's effects will be to restore the game state by reattaching
any buildings which are actually dangling but haven't been reported as
dangling, although by my argument above I think there are none.

/dev/joe

P.S.  With all this talk of dangling, all you priests out there need to get
your prayers ready for March.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:09:25 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gumball

> I am certainly against the commercialization of Acka, but I found the
> following private e-mail I received amusing.
	You should at least advise him that sending mail like that is 
considered, in some circles, a capital offense.  So to speak.
	I have nothing against your taking money from this guy.  You do 
the work.  Cash in on it.
	I wish there were a way to get each of us a gumball, via snail
mail.  Unfortunately for that plan, we're sprawled out across the
planet... 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:20:34 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC legalizing errors

> I'm for this one.
	Same here.

> However, I think 'undetected' should be unambiguated.
> Once an error is mentioned on the public forum, it should be considered
> as having been detected. 
	Excellent point.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 12:20:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC

> RFC: Amendments

(An aside: replace "cue" with "queue", "ammendment" with "amendment",
and "discussion period" with "voting period".)

> 2. A player may propose an ammendment on a proposal if the proposal
> is not in its last 72 hours of the discussion period.  Ammendments
> are sent to the promoter, who distributes them in the normal manner.
> If an ammendment is sent to the promoter prior to the deadline but
> the promoter does not forward it until after the deadline, it is
> still a valid ammendment.
> 
> 3. Players have 48 hours to vote on an ammendment.  No quorum is
> required and a simple majority is required to pass the ammendment.
> There is no penalty for not voting on ammendments.

This might significantly increase the amount of work the promoter has
to do, with different voting periods and such, but I'll let Mohammed
comment make that call.

> 5. If an ammendments is accepted, 24 hours shall be added to the
> proposals discussion period.

Say I propose an amendment 72 hours before the end of a proposal's
voting period. Some players may want to vote in favor in my proposal
only if it is amended. Others might feel the opposite way. These
players will have only two days, between the time the results of the
amendment are announced and the end of the proposal's voting period,
in which to cast their actual vote.

And this assumes that the Promoter is maximally efficient. In reality,
players could have a window of hours. If the Promoter distributed the
amendment more than 48 hours after it was received, an amendment's
voting period would end *after* the proposal had already passed, and
thus would be invalid.

An amendment could be proposed, voted upon, be accepted, and the
amended proposal finish its voting period, in four days (less if the
Promoter takes more than 24 hours). If a player who cast their vote
early doesn't check their email somewhere in those four days, they can
find that they have voted for something they don't agree
with. Admittedly, going four days without participating is pretty
negligent. But it should not be liable to the consequence of a player
having voted on a proposal that, in effect, they never read.

Such a risk could be avoided if, say, all votes cast before the
results of the amendment were discarded. This would guarantee that all
of the votes were cast for the actual proposal. However, it would also
put it at serious risk of not making quorum.

I think I could only support this if an amended proposal had its
voting period reset to seven days.

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:25:28 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost (mr cwm)

	Thank you, mr cwm!
	I play "neurosur".

> ThinMan
> /dev/joe
> IdiotBoy
> breadbox
> mr cwm
> Mohammed

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:34:39 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ghost play

"neurosurg"

>/dev/joe
>IdiotBoy
>breadbox
>mr cwm
>Mohammed
>ThinMan

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:39:10 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  Proposal 1759

Mohammed, via the Acrobot, appears to have attempted to distribute two
different proposals numbered 1758, and also two different proposals
numbered 1759.  If I recall correctly, the second "1758" and "1759"
have not actually been distributed for voting.

ThinMan

>Proposal 1758
>Public Actions

>Proposal 1758
>Advance Token to Broadway

>Proposal 1759
>Honor Must Be Satisfied!

>Proposal 1759
>Controlling Interest

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:45:42 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1759

> Mohammed, via the Acrobot, appears to have attempted to distribute two
> different proposals numbered 1758, and also two different proposals
> numbered 1759.  If I recall correctly, the second "1758" and "1759"
> have not actually been distributed for voting.
	Yep!  I'm sorry, guys, the bot crashed earlier this afternoon and 
I didn't reset the state of the bot properly.  I'll see what can be done 
to fix the damage, and re-send those proposals in a minute.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:52:00 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1758

Proposal 1758
Public Actions
Mohammed

Rule 260, "Public Actions", is created, reading:
- -----
This rule defers to all other rules.

Each attempt to perform an action either succeeds or fails.  To
perform an action entails two things:  first, to attempt the action;
and second, for the attempt to succeed.

The rules may specify that certain possible courses of play are public
actions.  Any active player may attempt any public action available to
him or her simply by sending a public message specifying the action to
be taken.  However, if any information that is necessary to specify
the action fully and unambiguously is left out of that message, then
the attempt fails.  [An attempt may also fail for other reasons.]

If the rules specify that a certain course of play is available to a
player or organization, but do not specify how that course of play is
to be taken, then that course of play is a public action, and it is
taken as described above.
- -----

Rule 594 ("Blueprints") is amended to read:
- ---
(i) Blueprints are unownable entities.  A Scientist can create a new
Blueprint by posting its text publicly.  In this case, the Scientist
is the creator of the Blueprint.  A Rule can also create a new
Blueprint by specifying that it is doing so, and specifying the text
of the new Blueprint.  In this case, the author of the Rule is
considered the creator of the Blueprint.

An attempt to create a new Blueprint fails if its text does not (a)
introduce exactly one new type of Gadget, (b) name the new Gadget
type, and (c) unambiguously define the behavior of such a Gadget.

A Scientist may create no more than 4 Blueprints per calendar month.

(ii) When a Blueprint is judged to be in conflict with one or more
Rules, the Blueprint is destroyed, as are any extant Gadgets made from
that Blueprint.

(iii) A Blueprint is lonely if and only if there do not currently
exist any Gadgets made from that Blueprint.  The creator of a
Blueprint that is lonely may destroy it.  If a Scientist leaves or
loses their office for any reason, all of his or her lonely Blueprints
are destroyed.  [This gives the Players a way to get rid of the
Blueprint for some Doomsday device: impeach the Scientist.  In other
cases, the Blueprint is generally approved by vote.]

(iv) If the specification or behaviour, attributes, etc, specified by
2 Blueprints is in conflict, the Blueprint which was created first has
precedence.  If the Blueprints were created at the same time, the one
which would appear first in an alphabetic list (using ASCII) of their
titles would hold precedence. If this still does not resolve the
conflict, or the precedence cannot be determined with finality for any
reason, both Blueprints, and all gadgets made from each, are
destroyed, in a large yellow, pungent, cloud of dust, which remains in
the Archaeologist's home for 3 days.

{{ [
	The text of section (v) is now covered by copyright
	infringement and the naming rule.  So I think we can do
	without it.

	(v) Entities with the same name as a Gadget proposed or
	introduced by a Blueprint may not exist or be created unless
	they are an instance of the Gadget described by said
	Blueprint.
] }}

(v) If a Blueprint specifies the effects of a certain kind of
Gadget-related manipulation, and tells who can perform it, but does
not specify how it is to be accomplished, then that type of
manipulation can be performed as a public action.  [See Rule 260 for
more about public actions.]

[A Blueprint is not a legally binding document except where the Rules
say that it is.]
- -----

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:52:04 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1747 accepted (Ammend proposal 1739)

Proposal 1747
Ammend proposal 1739
Narf

Votes cast by active players:  9 / 16 = 56.250000%
Yes:  8    No:  3     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Narf
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	breadbox
	Lestrade

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	fnord
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	Mohammed
	Robert Sevin
	Jammer
	snowgod
	ThinMan
	Strider
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1747
Ammend proposal 1739
Narf
Thu Feb 20 20:27:14 1997

[If proposal 1739 passes, it was pointed out to me that clause 1 would be
invalid.  This is a fix]
{{
If proposal 1739 passes, replace

 "1. There exists an organization known as Organized Crime, which is not
nearly as organized an organization as its organizers might wish."

with

"1. There exists a type of  organization known as Organized Crime, which is
not nearly as organized  as its organizers might wish.  There also exists an
organization known as Organzied Crime, which is the only legal Organized
Crime organization."
}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:50:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1759

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> Proposal 1759
> Controlling Interest
> IdiotBoy
> 

Ermm, I retract this, so I can do it when I am not being interrupted, and
now that I understand how the bot works more clearly.

There is still the slight problem of 2 1759's.

IB

Fri Feb 28 15:49:36 1997 EST: IdiotBoy -2 Proposal retraction.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:52:00 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1759

Proposal 1759
Honor Must Be Satisfied!
Strider

Amend R374 [Politeness Moon] by replacing "Any Player sending a public
message should be as polite as possible.  Any Player may call a Hearing
on the matter of whether a certain public message from another Player
was polite."

with

Any Player sending a public message should be as polite as possible. 
Any Player, if they believe a message to have been impolite, has three
choices;  1) They may ignore it.  2) They may call a Politeness Moon
Hearing on the matter of whether or not the message was polite.  3) They
may challenge the author of the message to a duel.  The loser of the
duel must post a public apology within 12 hours of losing the duel.

#thanks

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #544
*******************************