Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #539
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, February 26 1997     Volume 01 : Number 539

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 00:17:36 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador (Offer of Japanese translation) 

Apparently my brother knows someone who knows Japanese fairly well, and who
might be willing to help us. He says, and I quote "My RA speaks Japanese
fairly well, so if you can send the harfer, I'll see what can be done with
it...". So, snowgod, send him what you want translated, and he may be able
to help. I'm sure he's not making any promises, but it might help...

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:36:23 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador (Offer of Japanese translation) 

>Apparently my brother knows someone who knows Japanese fairly well, and who
>might be willing to help us. He says, and I quote "My RA speaks Japanese
>fairly well, so if you can send the harfer, I'll see what can be done with
>it...". So, snowgod, send him what you want translated, and he may be able
>to help. I'm sure he's not making any promises, but it might help...
>
>Robert Sevin

COOOL!

Thanks Robert Sevin.  I am hereby appointing you as the unofficial
assistant to the Ambassador!

snowgod
neat-o

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 00:49:43 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador (Offer of Japanese translation) 

>>Apparently my brother knows someone who knows Japanese fairly well, and who
>>might be willing to help us. He says, and I quote "My RA speaks Japanese
>>fairly well, so if you can send the harfer, I'll see what can be done with
>>it...". So, snowgod, send him what you want translated, and he may be able
>>to help. I'm sure he's not making any promises, but it might help...
>>
>>Robert Sevin
>
>COOOL!
>
>Thanks Robert Sevin.  I am hereby appointing you as the unofficial
>assistant to the Ambassador!
>
>snowgod
>neat-o

What's the benefits package like for that position?

Really, though, it's no problem. One of the stated goals of my party is to
"Encourage Inter-Nomic activities", and I am very much supportive of that
goal. I don't have an incredible amount of time to spend on Acka (except
right now, when I should be writing a paper for a linguistics class) but if
you need any help, I might be able to do something... I think your job is
one of the most vital to the future of Acka.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:03:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Off-Topic 

>...I don't have an incredible amount of time to spend on Acka (except
>right now, when I should be writing a paper for a linguistics class....

Hey, I'd gladly do your Liguistics, if you would care to write a character
profile of "A Middle-Management Buerocrat with a Drak Secret" for my
Non-Fiction workshop....

Just a Thought,
snowgod

back at home after another 12 hour day :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 03:30:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play 

> >> awri
>  
>  I protest this play on the basis that I don't believe that it is
>  found in any word in the Official Dictionary.
>  
>  ThinMan

Well... I was thinking "seawright" which is an acceptable nautical term...

But since I couldn't figure out how to make the official dictionary work, I
have no idea whether or not it works <shrug>

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 03:42:36 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Key Distribution 

I am creating a treasure.  The treasure consist of The Purple Key.  I am
burying it somewhere far far away.  The map is a very easy one: The first
player to author a proposal that passes and eliminates any mention of the
crystal chalice and the chalice vault shall find The Purple Key.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 03:47:58 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador (Offer of Korean translation) 

Well... I'm a Korean linguist in the Army Reserves.  If you should ever
stumble upon a Koren Nomic, let me know...

However, because I'm a linguist in the reserves, I know a large number of
people who speak a variety of languages that might be willing to do some
translation during my drill this weekend simply for the practice.  If you
have something you want translated, now would be a good time to send it to me
:)

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 05:23:18 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Diplomacy 

Since Diplomacy is now an official subgame, I am hereby starting the first
game of AckaDip (my own abbreviation, like it?)

This will be a Diplomacy game with the following parameters:
1. The variant will be "Deviant Diplomacy".  The following rules are in
effect for Deviant Diplomacy:  Each Build Phase, all players shall submit a
rule change proposal with their oders.  The rule change has no effect outside
the subgame.  After the build phase, all 7 players vote on the proposed rule
changes, getting one vote per supply center owned.  A rule change that has a
scope beyond the sub game will be ruled void.  The referee has final say in
making this determination.  The referee will not judge a rules validity
unless the rule has been passed and a member of the subgame appeals it to the
referee.  The rule change takes effect immediately.   
2. The game will be hand adjudicated, by me.  This rule can not be changed by
the players.
3. Spring and Fall turn moves will be due 72 hours after the previous phase
results are posted.  Retreat, Build and Voting orders will be due 24 hours
after the previous phase results are posted.  There will be a 24 hour grace
period if moves are not submitted, because my mail server is not always...
prompt.  A player who does not have moves submitted after the 24 hour grace
period has expired will NMR (No Move Reported -- all units hold).  If any
player NMR's twice, e will be removed from the game and the game will be put
on hold until a replacement player has been found.  (Note: Avalon Hill's
rules explain how to handle retreats, builds and disbands in case of NMR, I'm
not going to post those rules here.)
4.  The first 7 players to privately respond to me will be in the game.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:41:49 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Key Distribution

Narf wrote:

>I am creating a treasure.  The treasure consist of The Purple Key.  I am
>burying it somewhere far far away.  The map is a very easy one: The first
>player to author a proposal that passes and eliminates any mention of the
>crystal chalice and the chalice vault shall find The Purple Key.

I am singularly unimpressed.  If you did not want to participate
then you could have simply traded the key away.  Even if you find
the whole concept of the crystal chalice rule distasteful, it _was_
voted in by the players of Ackanomic.  Your play appears to be legal,
although I can think of one or two technicalities that might
invalidate it -- I will not pursue that course, however.

The term that comes to my mind is "spoilsport."

Happily, in Nomic it is very difficult to do anything that cannot be
undone.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:59:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play

Narf wrote:

> Well... I was thinking "seawright" which is an acceptable nautical term...

"seawright" is not in the official dictionary.  Narf is removed from
the game.  There is no ghost word.  It is /dev/joe's turn. 

/dev/joe
IdiotBoy
breadbox
snowgod
mr cwm
Mohammed
ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:04:40 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Ghost play

Malenkai wrote:

>"seawright" is not in the official dictionary.  Narf is removed from
>the game.  There is no ghost word.  It is /dev/joe's turn. 
>
>/dev/joe
>IdiotBoy
>breadbox
>snowgod
>mr cwm
>Mohammed
>ThinMan

Is it /dev/joe's turn or still mine?  I didn't think that the rule
indicated that making a challenge constituted a play.  Not that I
really care, one way or the other, but I would like to stick to the
rules.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:05:17 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy

Narf wrote:

> 1. The variant will be "Deviant Diplomacy".  The following rules are in
> effect for Deviant Diplomacy:  Each Build Phase, all players shall submit a
> rule change proposal with their oders.

I would have thought that given there are at least three diplomacy
newbies who expressed interest, that the issue would not have been
muddied with a variant for their first game.  Also, G&C 108 specifies
that the syntax of orders be specified.  I specifically put that in,
because in my experience, I see newbies often having otherwise 
valid orders invalidated for picayune reasons, and that is no fun for
anyone.  I always find myself explaining the importance and technique 
of unambiguous orders to new players, so it is not a trivial element of
someone's first diplomacy game.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:07:09 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play

Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> Is it /dev/joe's turn or still mine?  I didn't think that the rule
> indicated that making a challenge constituted a play.  Not that I
> really care, one way or the other, but I would like to stick to the
> rules.

I am certain that a challenge constitues a play, but I do not have the
time to check it -- I have to run to work :(.  I'm sure that is how
we've been playing.  If no one checks it before this evening, I will
check it then.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:10:09 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:Spoilsport 

Sticks and stones, etc...

Yes, I could have simply traded away the purple key...  though that might
have allowed someone else the win.  On the other hand, I recently posted a
proposal that, among other things, does away with rule 222 in its entirety.

I've also been reading up on the legality of my action, in fact I've spent
several hours going over relevant rules and have not been able to decide if
it was or not.  If nothing else, it may spur interesting conversation.

And at any rate, rule 222 provides methods for the keys to "teleport" and to
be destroyed and recreated... so my burying it is merely a temporary problem,
and an interesting one to solve don't you think?  I've come up with a couple
of ways to resolve the issue...

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:21:41 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

>I would have thought that given there are at least three diplomacy
>newbies who expressed interest, that the issue would not have been
>muddied with a variant for their first game

Well... I have a number of responses to that point.
1) I'm of the opinion that this variant puts new players at a significantly
smaller advantage than playing straight diplomacy, merely because normal dip
strategies and tactics no longer apply.
2) I waited to see if anyone else started a game before announcing that I
was.  I even asked if you (Malenkai) were planning to run on, but you
declined.  I mentioned at that time my intent to run a variant game.
3) For a new Diplomacy player, a variant game is no more difficult to learn
than straight Diplomacy is.   I don't see how the issue is being "muddied"
 This leads back to point number 1, I suppose.

> Also, G&C 108 specifies
>  that the syntax of orders be specified.

I did miss that.  However, Avalon Hills rules also specify that, and
therefore this is redundant.  When seven players have registered for the
game, I intend to send 'em precedural instructions, to include syntax, email
address, a list of approved province abbreviations and examples of ambiguous
and unambiguous orders.
 
> I specifically put that in,
>  because in my experience, I see newbies often having otherwise 
>  valid orders invalidated for picayune reasons, and that is no fun for
>  anyone.  I always find myself explaining the importance and technique 
>  of unambiguous orders to new players, so it is not a trivial element of
>  someone's first diplomacy game.

I agree 100%.  I also make sure to explain the tactic of the intentionaly
invalid order....

One other note... although the email address I'm going to use for receiving
orders will only be opened after the order deadline, I'm also going to
suggest that players, particularly new players, cc: their orders to me so
that I can proofread them for validity.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:32:56 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:Spoilsport

Narf wrote:

>And at any rate, rule 222 provides methods for the keys to "teleport" and to
>be destroyed and recreated... so my burying it is merely a temporary problem,
>and an interesting one to solve don't you think?  I've come up with a couple
>of ways to resolve the issue...

As I wrote before, it is very difficult to do something that cannot
be undone.  I can think of two ways to retrieve the key intact, one
of which I am working on right now.  However, there is no way that I
see to retrieve the key intact without in one manner or another going
outside the bounds of the chalice game and relying on the supporting
Nomic framework.  I find this distasteful, as it seems outside the
spirit of the chalice quest.

I am aware of your attempt to repeal R 222, which, indeed, is why I
interpreted your actions as I did -- it appeared to me that you were
attempting to strongarm us into the repeal by breaking the game.  If my
interpretation was mistaken then I apologize for any offense I may have
given.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:52:45 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka:Spoilsport 

No offense taken: I'd be upset if you tried to spoil my fun as well :)

When I buried the key, I had a number of things in mind.  Yes, I don't like
rule 222 and would like to see it repealed.  I realized that my attempt to
repeal it is probably going to fail.  My map will certainly not succeed in
strongarming Ackanomia to repeal the rule, since repealing the rule to obtain
the key would be pointless.  Nor is it an attempt to break the game, since we
both agree there are several ways to legaly obtain the key still.  Of course,
doing so may require some work :)

It was an attempt to express my displeasure with the rule -- apparently it
worked :) -- but it allows others to continue on their quest.  I spent a few
more hours reviewing the legality of creating a set of trinkets known
collectively as The Keys That Open the Vault... but finaly discarded that
plan.

Once this issue has been resolved, someone might want to consider reviewing
the rules and creating a proposal that will resolve the issue of burying
entities that perform a game function.  I guess the fact that the Treasure
Rule has such a high number, no conflicts really exist -- still, it might be
nice to clarify this.  What would happen, for example, if someone buried the
machine that goes ping?  With no legal owner, who would report upon its
wisdom?

Ack, I'm getting brain fried

I create a trinket valued at A$50 called "sticks and stones".  It is
invisible, so can not be described by anyone not capable of seeing invisible
things.  Hurling it at someone is considered preferable to calling them
names, since sticks and stones can't hurt anyone.  If you hurl sticks and
stones at them, they may pick it up and keep it.  I am giving sticks and
stones to thinman as a peace offering.

Narf, -A$50

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:10:53 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:Spoilsport

Narf wrote:

>Once this issue has been resolved, someone might want to consider reviewing
>the rules and creating a proposal that will resolve the issue of burying
>entities that perform a game function.  I guess the fact that the Treasure
>Rule has such a high number, no conflicts really exist -- still, it might be
>nice to clarify this.  What would happen, for example, if someone buried the
>machine that goes ping?  With no legal owner, who would report upon its
>wisdom?

That is a valid point, one which your action already prompted me to
think about.  Several solutions, and variations on them, occur to me,
but I will have to work through them before I can propose any kind of
general solution beyond what is already available to us.

>[...]

>I create a trinket valued at A$50 called "sticks and stones".  It is
>invisible, so can not be described by anyone not capable of seeing invisible
>things.  Hurling it at someone is considered preferable to calling them
>names, since sticks and stones can't hurt anyone.  If you hurl sticks and
>stones at them, they may pick it up and keep it.  I am giving sticks and
>stones to thinman as a peace offering.

Gee, thanks.  That wasn't necessary.  But far be it from me to reject
a peace offering.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:27:35 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Ghost play

Malenkai wrote:

>I am certain that a challenge constitues a play, but I do not have the
>time to check it -- I have to run to work :(.  I'm sure that is how
>we've been playing.  If no one checks it before this evening, I will
>check it then.

Malenkai is correct.  Sorry for the confusion.  It is /dev/joe's turn.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:22:27 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 348 (CnH) 

>CnH has been chosen.

I accept

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:32:10 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: ACKA:  Map

2-25-6-4-31-29-11-9-23-38-30-4-20-28-41-44-10-1-1-24-2-9-22-
2-15-97-1-10-7-6-7-9-1-1-6-2-27-8-6-14-29-9-6-60-39-5-12-23-
1-15-4-7-2-23-4-11-15-11-6-11-12-15-1-2-33-5-40

Have Fun
Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:40:26 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play

I play z.

The play order is:

IdiotBoy
breadbox
snowgod
mr cwm
Mohammed
ThinMan
/dev/joe

- --
/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:05:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spoilsport

> nice to clarify this.  What would happen, for example, if someone buried the
> machine that goes ping?  With no legal owner, who would report upon its
> wisdom?
	The scholar of *ping* does not own the machine.

> I create a trinket valued at A$50 called "sticks and stones".  It is
> invisible, so can not be described by anyone not capable of seeing invisible
> things.  Hurling it at someone is considered preferable to calling them
> names, since sticks and stones can't hurt anyone.  If you hurl sticks and
> stones at them, they may pick it up and keep it.  I am giving sticks and
> stones to thinman as a peace offering.
	The saying is, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words 
will never hurt me."

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:18:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Spoilsport

ThinMan wrote:
 
> Narf wrote:
> 
> >Once this issue has been resolved, someone might want to 
> >consider reviewing
> >the rules and creating a proposal that will resolve the issue of burying
> >entities that perform a game function.

> That is a valid point, one which your action already prompted me to
> think about.  Several solutions, and variations on them, occur to me,
> but I will have to work through them before I can propose any kind of
> general solution beyond what is already available to us.

The treasure rule is like unix TCP/IP, its openness is also its 
potential downfall.  I like the idea that any tradeable entity can be
buried as a treasure, even if it is part of something else, like the
keys.  Since the player could hoard the purple key, donate it to the
treasury, etc, burying it with an impossible treasure map is no worse than
other options, and and ThinMan pointed out, not irrevocable.  Players
are permitted to sneer.

OTOH, a player could bury the purple key with a *cool* treasure map (I
was thinking of doing so if I got a key), and I would argue that that 
*was* in the spirit.  The treasure rule requires some element of "spirit
of the game" on the part of the players.  I would rather keep it as 
open as possible, and handle any abuses on a case by case basis, rather
than tinker with it to guard against these potential abuses, and thus
compromise the beauty of its openness.  I often argue we have bigger
problems if we have to regulate spirit of the game. (of course, this
attitude does not work in unix TCP/IP security, and its openness has
suffered over the years, but were different ;)).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:44:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> I play z.
> 

The new ghost word is 'iz'

The play order is:

breadbox
snowgod
mr cwm
Mohammed
ThinMan
/dev/joe
IdiotBoy

- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:43:36 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Results

The auction for the Spell Book of Chorg is over.  There were no bids.
The minimum bid was A$0; the auctioneer retains it.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:46:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spoilsport

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> 	The saying is, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words 
> will never hurt me."
> 
> --Mohammed
> 

Yeah, well, maybe in your world the Earth is round, too!

- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:33:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost play

> > I play z.
> The new ghost word is 'iz'

I play "izi".

> The play order is:
> 
> snowgod
> mr cwm
> Mohammed
> ThinMan
> /dev/joe
> IdiotBoy
> breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:35:22 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  monkeys

May I ask in what units monkeys are weighed around here?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:54:49 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1754

Proposal 1754
Find The Key
Strider

On the passage of this proposal, all players shall be permitted to sneer
at narf for attempting to remove things {{like the crystal chalice and
the chalice vault}} from Ackanomic

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:54:51 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1755

Proposal 1755
eliminateAnyMentionOf();
fnord

eliminateAnyMentionOf(cup_type the_crystal_chalice, 
                      vault_type the_chalice_vault)
{
	free(the_crystal_chalice);
	free(the_chalice_vault);
	return({{[The map merely asks for a proposal that passes and 
                 eliminates the crystal chalice and the chalice vault.
                 This proposal certainly passes them into the function,
                 then eliminates them, as any programmer could attest.
                 I'm certainly willing to lose the points for this 
                 proposal merely to point out to Narf that just because
                 you don't _like_ a game doesn't mean you have to make
                 it difficult for others to play it.]}});
}

{{[Just to make sure this isn't a NULL proposal] fnord loses A$23.}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:54:49 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1753

Proposal 1753
Newspapers Must be Public to be Newspapers
breadbox

This is a Modest Proposal.

Make the following two changes to Rule 925 "The Press": 1) Delete the
fourth and fifth paragraphs. 2) Replace the first paragraph with
the following text:

Any player may start a newspaper, by publically declaring that they
are doing so. Newspapers must be given names, which must be announced
at the same time that the newspaper is created. A small fee of A$20
must be paid to the treasury to cover start-up costs.

A player who owns a newspaper is allowed to post messages to an
official mailing list with an indication that the message is an
article of that newspaper. Such an article is then said to have been
published in that newspaper.

A posting that is not sent to one of the official mailing lists is
never considered to be a newspaper publication. In addition, no player
may publish an article in a newspaper she does not own without the
express permission of the newspaper's owner.

{{[

(No tricks this time.) See Proposal 1727 for the rationale for this
rule change.

]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:54:44 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1752

Proposal 1752
Retrieving the Purple Key
ThinMan

A new rule shall be created with the title "Abracadabra."  Its text
shall be that delimted by the next two "**" symbols.

**
{{  [The sole purpose of this rule is to retrieve the Purple Key from
the treasure it is currently buried in.]  This rule is hereby renumbered
to 199.  This rule takes precedence over all rules dealing with treasure
or the Purple Key.  The Purple Key ceases to be any part of any treasure
and is immediately transferred to ThinMan.  Every treasure that contains
exactly zero entities is destroyed.  Any treasure map associated with a
treasure that no longer exists is destroyed. }}
**

A new rule shall be created with the title "Obelisk of Kantara."  Its
text shall be that delimited by the next two "%%" symbols.

%%
{{ [ This rule creates a method for uninterested players to bow out of
the Chalice quest.  It assumes that Narf is, in fact, uninterested,
but it gives him an opportunity to express interest to prevent being
locked out.  Other players may conceivably find other uses for the
Obelisk of Kantara as well.] }}
The Obelisk of Kantara is a named, unownable entity.  It stands in
the courtyard of the Senate building.  The Obelisk of Kantara is an
artifact of the ancients, a twenty-foot tall stone pillar carved with
mysterious runes and inlaid with gold, silver, and uranium-235.
Ackanomic archeologists have reported that they are unable to chip, mar
or otherwise modify the obelisk in any way.  Indeed, the Obelisk of
Kantara is indestructible.

The Archeologists neglected to try the chant of Kantara, however.  Any
player who goes to the location of the Obelisk of Kantara and chants
"Kantara, Kantara, Crystal Chalice, Goose; Kantara, <player's name> in
chartreuse" (where <player's name> is replaced by the chanting player's
name) will find that their name is inscribed in glowing chartreuse
characters among the runes on the Obelisk.  If a player whose name is so
inscribed on the Obelisk changes his name, then the characters on the
Obelisk change to match his new name.  There is no other way in which
any glowing chartreuse characters are or will be inscribed on the
Obelisk.  Once any glowing chartreuse characters are inscribed on the
Obelisk, they only change as specified by the rules.

Any player whose name is inscribed on the Obelisk of Kantara in glowing
chartreuse characters is ineligible to receive any of the Keys that
Unlock the Vault Containing the Crystal Chalice.  This rule takes
precedence over rule 222.

{{ Notwitchstanding the above restrictions, the name of the player who
registered as "Narf" will be inscribed in glowing chartreuse letters on
the Obelisk of Kantara exactly one week after the adoption of this rule
unless before the end of that week he states in a public message, "I
want to play the Chalice game.  Really.  No, really!"  This rule is
renumbered to 223. }}

%%

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Proposal 1754

> On the passage of this proposal, all players shall be permitted to sneer
> at narf for attempting to remove things {{like the crystal chalice and
> the chalice vault}} from Ackanomic
	That is very, very, clever.
	Two camels up.

- --Mohammed
voting YES

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:19 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1733 accepted (More Sensible Weight)

Proposal 1733
More Sensible Weight
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 16 = 87.500000%
Yes:  8    No:  1     Present:  8   ...Proposal accepted.

Niccolo Flychuck +2 : EP P1733

YES votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	ThinMan
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Mohammed
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	mr cwm
	Jammer
	Lestrade
	Robert Sevin
	Narf
	breadbox
	fnord
	snowgod

Active players who did not vote:
	Strider
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1733
More Sensible Weight
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal.

Ammend section 1.B of R1230.3 "Swingers Like to Play Around III - mostly
odds" to read in full:
"Absolute Weight for each Swinger is calculated in the following manner: 

For a Swinger whose King is on-board
Weight= 
(Total material value of the on-board pieces)+
for each piece( add the maximum distance the piece can move, without
making a capture), where distance is defined as the greater of
(abs(DestC-C)), (abs(DestR-R))
for each piece (add 3 if the piece attacks at least one opponent piece)
for each piece (add 2 if the piece defends at least one friendly piece) 

For a Swinger whose King is off-board
Weight=0 
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:19 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1734 accepted (Eliminating unnecessary CFCJs)

Proposal 1734
Eliminating unnecessary CFCJs
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 16 = 87.500000%
Yes:  14    No:  2     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

Malenkai +2 : EP P1734

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Jammer
	Lestrade
	Narf
	breadbox
	Calvin N Hobbes
	fnord
	ThinMan
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Mohammed
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Ludwig
	snowgod

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Strider
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1734
Eliminating unnecessary CFCJs
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal
- ------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1209, "The Machine that goes *ping*" to replace:

"
      Should a CFCJ ever find that the current Scholar has violated any
part of this rule during the current Scholar's term, the Machine
immediately randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.
"

with

"
      Should it ever be publically knowable that the current Scholar
has violated any part of this rule during the current Scholar's term,
the Machine immediately randomly teleports itself to another active
player's Home.
"

{{[a CFCJ seems to be a subset of PK, and PK covers other cases that
will save the CotC a little work.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:21 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1737 rejected (cleaning up the new player rules)

Proposal 1737
cleaning up the new player rules
Narf

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 16 = 75.000000%
Yes:  4    No:  7     Present:  3   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Narf
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	snowgod

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	fnord
	Jammer

Active players who did not vote:
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno
	mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:21 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1738 rejected (streamlining)

Proposal 1738
streamlining
Narf

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 16 = 75.000000%
Yes:  5    No:  8     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	/dev/joe
	Narf
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Mohammed

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	fnord
	breadbox
	Jammer
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno
	mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:59:20 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1735 accepted (Tammany Reform)

Proposal 1735
Tammany Reform
Mohammed

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 16 = 81.250000%
Yes:  14    No:  0     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Jammer
	Lestrade
	Narf
	fnord
	Ludwig
	Calvin N Hobbes
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	/dev/joe
	snowgod
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Mohammed
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Strider
	Techno
	mr cwm

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1735
Tammany Reform
Mohammed

[ I believe this will allow me to automate the Tammany Bribing
process.  I really want to get that done soon so that I might be able
to fully automate proposal finalization.  Please vote YES, barring
unforseen bugs in this revision. ]

Rule 315/10 ("Tammany") is amended to read, in full:
- ---
Tammany is a unique entity capable of casting one vote on each
Proposal.  Tammany only votes on Proposals as specified by this Rule.

A statement sent to the Tabulator is a Tammany Bribe if, and only if, it
conveys the following information:

    a) the Proposal number of a Proposal that has not yet come to
	resolution.

    b) an amount of currency in the range of A$ 25 to A$ 100
	(inclusive).

    c) a Desired Vote of either YES, NO, or SILENT.

    d) the intent of the sender of the message to bribe Tammany the
	amount specified, in order to vote in the manner specified on
	the Proposal specified.

It is the Duty of the Tabulator to ensure that each Tammany Bribe
remains secret until the end of the voting period of the Proposal to
which it applies.  The Tabulator shall not intentionally examine the
text of any Tammany Bribe until this rule makes it eir Duty to do so.
If he should inadvertently do so, he should, as a matter of ethics,
avoid allowing this foreknowledge to influence his game actions in any
way.

Each Player may submit a maximum of one valid Tammany Bribe per
Proposal.  Should more than one Tammany Bribe be submitted by a Player
for a given Proposal, the Tammany Bribe received most recently by the
Tabulator shall be deemed the sole valid Tammany Bribe by the Player
for that Proposal, with all others being disregarded.

Before the voting results for a given Proposal are announced, the
Tabulator has the Duty of determining whether and how Tammany will
vote on this Proposal, based upon the valid Tammany Bribes for that
Proposal and the specifications below in this Rule.  Tammany's vote
and all Tammany Bribes pertaining to a Proposal shall be reported
along with the voting results for the Proposal.

Each Player who submitted a Tammany Bribe for a Proposal that is about
to be resolved shall have the designated amount of currency deducted
from his account.  In the case that this would result in a negative
currency balance for a Player, his entire Bribe is disregarded.

Tammany shall vote YES on a Proposal if and only if the total amount
of currency associated with Tammany Bribes that had a Desired Vote of
YES is greater than the total amount of currency associated with
Tammany Bribes that had a Desired Vote of NO plus twice the total
amount of currency associated with Bribes that had a Desired Vote of
SILENT.

Tammany shall vote NO on a Proposal if and only if the total amount of
currency associated with Tammany Bribes that had a Desired Vote of NO
is greater than the total amount of currency associated with Tammany
Bribes that had a Desired Vote of YES plus twice the total amount of
currency associated with Bribes that had a Desired Vote of SILENT.
- ---

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #539
*******************************