Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #521
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, February 15 1997      Volume 01 : Number 521

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:30:16 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Not Acka: but I got it

It took a while but I'm back up.  It took 
6 iterations of Install, an hour wandering 
around Microsoft's site, an hour or so of file
setup but I got Office 97 installed

John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:30:16 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Not Acka: but I got it

It took a while but I'm back up.  It took 
6 iterations of Install, an hour wandering 
around Microsoft's site, an hour or so of file
setup but I got Office 97 installed

John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:38:44 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On vacation

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I am putting my self on vacation until Monday Feb 17 at 6:00 pm EST.
> 
> I will be running a ftf Diplomacy tournament at a gaming convention this
> weekend.  Have a great 3 day weekend, everyone
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but would anyone be
interested in having Diplomacy as a subgame?  I'll write an RFC if
there's any interest.

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:44:47 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On vacation

Stephen McCulley wrote:

> Not that this has anything to do with anything, but would anyone be
> interested in having Diplomacy as a subgame?  I'll write an RFC if
> there's any interest.

Sure, but preferrably without one of those "judge" bots :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:48:00 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On vacation

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> Stephen McCulley wrote:
> 
> > Not that this has anything to do with anything, but would anyone be
> > interested in having Diplomacy as a subgame?  I'll write an RFC if
> > there's any interest.
> 
> Sure, but preferrably without one of those "judge" bots :)
> 
> Malenkai
Right, I figured we'd have a referee/judge/whatever in addition to the
players.

Strider

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:58:57 -0600
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On vacation

I'm taking myself off vacation. Sorry to have been so long, I had a few
problems, missed a CFJ deadline (for which I had spend hours) etc. When
I could have come back, I decided I might as well take a break right
then.  :)

Many apologies.

> > I am putting my self on vacation until Monday Feb 17 at 6:00 pm EST.
> >
> > I will be running a ftf Diplomacy tournament at a gaming convention this
> > weekend.  Have a great 3 day weekend, everyone

Are you also playing diplomacy by email? I'm running a (large) number of
games, and playing in some.

> Not that this has anything to do with anything, but would anyone be
> interested in having Diplomacy as a subgame?  I'll write an RFC if
> there's any interest.

Please do. I'm a fan, although burning out at the moment.

CnH
also burnin' 200 node hours

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:03:48 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Blueprint

Blueprint
Spell Book of Chorg
Malenkai - Wizard

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

When initially created, a Spell Book of Chorg (Book) has 21 pages,
unless a different number is described by the rules causing its
creation.  A Book with one or more pages is indestructible, except as
described below.  A Book with zero pages is useless (except the Museum
may take it at full value).

Pages are numbered sequentially, starting at 1, thru the number of 
pages in the Book when the Book was created.  Once so numbered, at
creation time, page numbers in the Book do not change.  Each page
contains a spell.

A player who possesses a Book may read the spell on the page with the
lowest number by announcing this action publically, provided no other
page has been read from that Book in the same calendar week.  After the
effect described below occurs, the page so read is removed from the
Book and destroyed in a pyrotechnic display as described by the reader.
One of the following effects shall occur, depending on the number of
the page read:

1) If the page number was evenly divisible by 21, a random Boon of the 
Ancients is created and bestowed to the reader.

2) Otherwise, if the page number was evenly divisible by 5, a random 
Gadget other than a Spell Book of Chorg is created and transferred to
the reader.  However, this gadget is ephemeral; it will be destroyed
3 days after it is publically knowable what it is (if it still exists),
unless it is indestructible, in which case it will be transferred
Somewhere Else at that time.  For the purposes of this section, the
Book itself is said to be doing this destruction or transferrance, as
appropriate.

3) Otherwise, a random Otzma card is created and transferred to the 
reader, all cards having equal probabilities, except that card types
which exist at their instance limits shall have no probability of being
created.  If, however, this creation would exceed any other limits of
the Otzma cards, it does not occur, and the Book is destroyed in a
vile display of chartreuse smoke instead.

Exception:  If the reader of the Book is wearing the Shades of Chorg,
they have a better understanding of the spells.  Instead of the above
determinations being random, they may choose the Boon, Gadget, or Otzma
card to be created, as the case may be, provided no limits are exceeded.
Otherwise, the above effects work as described for the random selection
case.  If they do not announce their choice in this case, though, the
random determination is used anyway.

If a player possessing the Spell Book of Chorg is ever burned as described
in the rules, the Book is immediately destroyed, being that it is made
of really old parchment.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:30:26 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint 

I am creating a trinket known as the Shades of Chorg.  It has a value of
A$5.  It is a small purple frog which can be worn on my shoulder.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 23:33:18 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmasterness (was "(none yet)")

Malenkai wrote:
> Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> > Mail to Red Barn is still bouncing user unknown; looks like he's gone for
> > good -- it's been two weeks now, and unless somebody has been in contact
> > with and has some reason to expect him to be back, I will soon use the
> > postmaster's privilege to remove him from the game. 
> 
> Didn't Red Barn have an observer e-mail address that was not bouncing?
> If so,  I will attempt to contact him on that, if anyone knows it.

Yes, and I believe it is working now.  [email-masked]

However, the address he posted from today (attempting to announce
a vacation he is already on) also bounces.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:44:21 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bonds 

I hereby transfer 30 PFTechno to Techno, pending his Acking

snowgod

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #521
*******************************