Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #504
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, February 5 1997      Volume 01 : Number 504

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:12:17 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Expert 

/dev/joe

>> Political system. I've very much been involved in theoretical discussion of
>> the topic and I've done a fair bit of work on it.
>
>What exactly does this encompass?  The most obvious thing is political
>parties, which goes into your "player groupings" below.  There's also
>the president and senate offices, the original "political offices".
>I can see you being an expert on this.  Grouping these together makes
>it enough substance to be a legitimate category for expert-ness too.
>Maybe define it better though.

Yes, I agree. I'll define it better before submitting it.

>> Judicial system. I know my ins and outs of procedures and appeal, of
>> commentaries, powers of the courts.
>
>I still haven't seen much evidence of your expertise in this area.
>It may be bad luck that you haven't been chosen to judge many CFJ's,
>but you've only submitted one any time recently as well.  Your
>recent proposals in this area were somewhat foggy as well.  (P1663
>in particular either was an attempt to sneak an easy win into the
>rules, or it shows a distinct lack of expertise on your part.)

Not enough evidence. Fair enough. There is no rush after all.    :)

>> I was also considering "Player groupings" (political parties, churches,
>> organizations) but the rules there aren't exactly complicated. Perhaps later?
>
>Especially since political parties would already be covered by the
>Political System, I would have a hard time voting for this.  It was
>Niccolo Flychuck who wrote most of the rules about churches and
>organizations; you, on the other hand, have written all the harf and
>other stuff that has been tacked on to churches.  Maybe you could
>name a category that encompasses this better?

True. I wonder if a category could be called "doctrine and manifesto". Well,
not enough rules that deal with that.

Thanks for you time, much appreciated
CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:37:22 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Steven A. Swiniarski)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 342 Verdict

>
>CFJ 342 has been judged TRUE.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 342
>  Subject: Tickling Tickle-Me Elmo
>Initiator: Malenkai
>    Judge: Jammer (failed to respond)
>2nd Judge: ThinMan (selected Jan 31, 1997, 23:03h EST)
>Judgement: TRUE
>

Drat, it would have been easeir if the Judge had ruled that the Blueprint
self-destructed.  Be that as it may, igone all recent statements by the
Mad Scientist, ve vere deranged by overexposure to radiation-- ya that's
the ticket!

Mad Scientist Swann
Skulking Back to the lab.

PS-- Perhaps a good idea would be to ditch the blueprint-under-construction in
cases of invalid exposure (now there's a phraze with a double meaning :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:11:32 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: RERS Donation

I am donating A$50 to the treasury on behalf of the Round
Earth Restoration Society.

I am also taking a trip around the earth.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 02:38:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan (or other owners of Monopoles)

> ThinMan
> 
> Could I use your monople for 1 week? I'm going to go around and fix all
> dangling houses.

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

breadbox
becoming terrified of depths

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:25:34 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan (or other owners of Monopoles)

> > Could I use your monople for 1 week? I'm going to go around and fix all
> > dangling houses.

According to my records, the only monopoles in existance are the one
haunted by Habeous Corpus's undead, and the one snowgod owns.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:30:28 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

Malenkai wrote:

> > I am creating a new Blueprint as follows:
> > --------------------------------------------------------
> > Blueprint
> > Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser
> 
> This blueprint has existed for 3 days.  I am building a JMCL.

This Blueprint has existed for 7 days.  I am now auctioning it.
Bids go to the public forum.  Hopefully Red Barn's e-mail will be
working soon :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:36:52 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

Malenkai wrote:

> This Blueprint has existed for 7 days.  I am now auctioning it.
> Bids go to the public forum.  Hopefully Red Barn's e-mail will be
> working soon :)

Well, I'm not autioning the blueprint, but the JMCL.  duh :).

Malenkai
its too early in the morning to think

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:33:43 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: New Blueprint

>
>Well, I'm not autioning the blueprint, but the JMCL.  duh :).

I bid A$150.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:56:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: query

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Bascule and snowgod were not on vaction on Feb 01, 00:00 EST.
> However, they both went on vacation between that time and the
> end of when prayers are due, and neither said their prayers.  Does
> the lack of them not saying their prayers count towards the dangling?
> 
> Malenkai

Due to the language of the prayer rule, I think they would qualify as
"non-vacationing priests," and hence would fall under the requirements of
the rule.  On the other hand, if you parse it (non)(vacationing priests)
instead of (non-vacationing)(priests), I guess the other interpretation
is just as acceptible.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:00:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

I am hereby going to the Senate, where I intend to stay until my home
is affixed to the Earth.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 09:41:04 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

Bollinger, John C. wrote:
> 
> >

> 
> I bid A$150.
> 
> ThinMan

I bid A$165

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:56:45 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

Bollinger, John C. wrote:
> 
> >

> 
> I bid A$150.
> 
> ThinMan

I bid A$165

Lestrade

I bid A$200
Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:06:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> I am hereby going to the Senate, where I intend to stay until my home
> is affixed to the Earth.

I think the Senate is _already_ dangling.  :)
Guy Fawkes
who senses a great demand for wings

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:46:36 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: New Blueprint

>
>I bid A$200
>Jammer

I bid A$250

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:57:34 -0800
From: Stephen McCulley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

John Martin Lotz wrote:
> 
> Bollinger, John C. wrote:
> >
> > >
> 
> >
> > I bid A$150.
> >
> > ThinMan
> 
> I bid A$165
> 
> Lestrade
> 
> I bid A$200
> Jammer

I bid A$300

	--Strider

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:09:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

> > I am hereby going to the Senate, where I intend to stay until my home
> > is affixed to the Earth.
> 
> I think the Senate is _already_ dangling.  :)
> Guy Fawkes
> who senses a great demand for wings

No, the Senate is currently safe. Cow Town, the Hall of Elders, and
the Courthouse are all in danger of being lost forever, but the Senate
has managed to remain in place.

b

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:52:10 -0800 (PST)
From: fnord <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan (or other owners of Monopoles)

breadbox spake thusly
> 
> > ThinMan
> > 
> > Could I use your monople for 1 week? I'm going to go around and fix all
> > dangling houses.
> 
> thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Hey now.  I've had my wings for quite a while now, and no one
has asked me for help in reattaching their dangling buildings.  
Are my silver-foill wings mere attachments for prettiness?  
I would certainly hope not, as I purchased the genetic modifications
in the hopes of helping my fellow Ackazens in their times of need.

*sigh*

Since it appears no one desires my help, I think I shall fly up (down?)
to the top of the Gaol, and sit there for a while.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:31:30 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: query

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Due to the language of the prayer rule, I think they would qualify as
> "non-vacationing priests," and hence would fall under the requirements of
> the rule.  On the other hand, if you parse it (non)(vacationing priests)
> instead of (non-vacationing)(priests), I guess the other interpretation
> is just as acceptible.

I was leaning towards the interpretation that if they were on vacation
at the *end* of the prayer period, they were considered vacationing
priests.  There is some (I don't know how much) body of game custom
that indicates conditions at the end of a period hold sway.

I will go with this interpretation unless convinced by more argument,
rule, or CFJ.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:34:34 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

Brian Raiter wrote:

> No, the Senate is currently safe. Cow Town, the Hall of Elders, and
> the Courthouse are all in danger of being lost forever, but the Senate
> has managed to remain in place.

If I build another GM, will you buy it?  I have built 2 already, and
those who demand them have not bid, and those who bought them have
not used them.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:31:24 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Nomics to Contact (Ambassador, read) 

There are Nomics located at the following URLs. They may or may not have
been previously discovered by our Ambassador (or other Acka player). We
should try and make contact with them, if we haven't already.

http://www.mit.edu/people/tivol/nomopoly/
http://auriga.revnet.com/gnomic/
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~dsanders/INomic20/
http://users.aol.com/dmchess/www/nomic.html
http://fohnix.metronet.com/~intell/ed/nomic/
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~whuang/nomic/trans.html
http://crypto2.uwaterloo.ca/~mfare/nomic/
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/mn200/games/nomic/reed/
http://kepler.valpo.edu/nomic/
http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/gnomic/gnomic.info.html
http://soc-gw.soc.titech.ac.jp:8080/nomic/
http://www.nta.no/brukere/stein/frc/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~philen/modnomic/
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/mn200/games/nomic/RULES/
http://schlick.phil.vuw.ac.nz:80/~nomic/information
http://www.soc.titech.ac.jp:80/titsoc/nomic/
http://www.gallaudet.edu/~ghritter/Nomic/
http://world.std.com/~damned/Nomic/game.html
http://over.keble.ox.ac.uk/~nomic/
http://www.NetGSI.com/~adam/nomic/
http://schlick.phil.vuw.ac.nz/~nomic/
http://WWW.RedBrick.DCU.IE/~nomic/
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/achmed/inomic/
http://www.delphi.co.uk/cgi-bin/delphi/interactive/mcg/mcold.pl?180

Also, I found the following blurb about another nomic w/o a web page:

"Meta-Game is extremely Nomic-like, although it is much more formal--there
is an email server which automates
many of the processes. To find out more, send email to
[email-masked] with "GENERAL" in the subject line."

I am certain some of these have been discovered previously, but probably
some of them haven't. I hope the Ambassador will give us a report on
progress with these Nomics. I know that one of them is German, and another
is Japanese, so we might need to look for some translators. Or maybe they
know some English.

Also, what has transpired with the Polish nomic?

Robert Sevin,
newly elected Senator

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 15:16:17 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1715

Proposal 1715
Prayer Fix
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest proposal.
Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph of R1321.

For the purposes of this rule, a non-vacationing priest is any priest who 
was not on Vacation at the end of the prayer period.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:15:16 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint 

And for us newbies, how exactly does one bid?  Is it a silent/closed bid, or
an open auction?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 18:02:06 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint

[email-masked] wrote:
 
> And for us newbies, how exactly does one bid?  Is it a silent/closed bid,
> or an open auction?

It can be either, depending on the cirsumstances under which the
auction was called.  In this case, it is public, and each bid must
exceed the previous one by at least 10%.

Auctions are described by Rule 516.

You may not have realised it, but you have a mentor who you may blitz
with questions :)

Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>

You can, of course, continue to ask questions publically as well.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:26:03 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: New Blueprint 

Yes, I've spoken with my mentor, and he's been very helpful.  Of course,
questions asked openly will probably be answered quicker, since there are
more recipients...  So if there is no objection, I will probably continue to
do both, privately when it's a matter of opinion and publicaly in some other
cases.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:57:21 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: New Treasure

In the spirit of keeping these trinkets in circulation, I am burying
another treasure. This treasure consists of the No Tea.

I am revealing the following portion of the map:

[This space intentionally left blank]

Pending an agreement with Malenkai, enough information to find
the No Tea will soon be published in 'Round the Earth.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:12:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan (or other owners of Monopoles)

> Hey now.  I've had my wings for quite a while now, and no one
> has asked me for help in reattaching their dangling buildings.  
> Are my silver-foill wings mere attachments for prettiness?  
> I would certainly hope not, as I purchased the genetic modifications
> in the hopes of helping my fellow Ackazens in their times of need.
> 
> *sigh*
> 
> Since it appears no one desires my help, I think I shall fly up (down?)
> to the top of the Gaol, and sit there for a while.

I was under the assumption that when snowgod procured the
gravitational monopole, it would be placed in the hands of the
Inventor and put to work. Of course snowgod is currently on
vacation. I see he is also the only other player with wings.

*sigh*

fnord is right. I am hereby purchasing a set of wings from the
Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication.

breadbox: -100, genetic mutation

(I never wanted wings ... they make ya look like an angel or
something....)

Though both the Ackanomic Courthouse and Cowtown are special to me,
each for different reasons, as the historian I humbly request that we
first rescue the Ackanomic Hall of Elders. It would really be shameful
to put the memories of our most admired players into one building, and
then let it fly off into space.

(Of course, before we can discuss this, we need to get three winged
players together.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:19:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

> If I build another GM, will you buy it?  I have built 2 already, and
> those who demand them have not bid, and those who bought them have
> not used them.

I would, as long the AckaPhysicist is willing to use it. I don't trust
my own odds, which is why I did not bid on them earlier.

breadbox
"And I do *not* look like Mercury!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:55:19 -0800 (PST)
From: fnord <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Wings (was re: monopoles)

breadbox spake thusly
> 
> fnord is right. I am hereby purchasing a set of wings from the
> Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication.
> 
> (I never wanted wings ... they make ya look like an angel or
> something....)

Actually, the Rules never say what the wings look like.  S'why
mine are gossamer-like.  I had been thinking leather-like things,
but the 'bat' look just isn't me.

> Though both the Ackanomic Courthouse and Cowtown are special to me,
> each for different reasons, as the historian I humbly request that we
> first rescue the Ackanomic Hall of Elders. It would really be shameful
> to put the memories of our most admired players into one building, and
> then let it fly off into space.

I agree wholeheartedly.  When did snowgod say he would return?
If not soon, perhaps we can convince another good ackazen to 
undergo the necessary process to gain wings.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 22:33:09 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

Brian Raiter wrote:

> I would, as long the AckaPhysicist is willing to use it. I don't trust
> my own odds, which is why I did not bid on them earlier.

Wings are much less cost-effective solution, and they have the
coordination problem.  On the other hand, I believe they are risk free.

In any case, I am building another gravitational monopole, but there may
not be a market for it when it is done.  Oh well, It'll be done in 3 days.

Malenkai
Wizard

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:51:45 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wings (was re: monopoles)

I am purchasing a set of wings from the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic
Replication. I'm trying to imagine how well they would go with my pointy
ears.
Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, fnord wrote:

> breadbox spake thusly
> > 
> > fnord is right. I am hereby purchasing a set of wings from the
> > Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication.
> > 
> > (I never wanted wings ... they make ya look like an angel or
> > something....)
> 
> Actually, the Rules never say what the wings look like.  S'why
> mine are gossamer-like.  I had been thinking leather-like things,
> but the 'bat' look just isn't me.
> 
> > Though both the Ackanomic Courthouse and Cowtown are special to me,
> > each for different reasons, as the historian I humbly request that we
> > first rescue the Ackanomic Hall of Elders. It would really be shameful
> > to put the memories of our most admired players into one building, and
> > then let it fly off into space.
> 
> I agree wholeheartedly.  When did snowgod say he would return?
> If not soon, perhaps we can convince another good ackazen to 
> undergo the necessary process to gain wings.
> 
> fnord
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:52:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Getting the hell out of my house

>> I would, as long the AckaPhysicist is willing to use it. I don't trust
>> my own odds, which is why I did not bid on them earlier.
> 
> Wings are much less cost-effective solution, and they have the
> coordination problem.

I agree. I would have preferred to have seen the monopole put to
use. (Monopole or monopoles? Your players/entities page shows that
snowgod has the only one.)

> In any case, I am building another gravitational monopole, but there
> may not be a market for it when it is done.  Oh well, It'll be done
> in 3 days.

Considering that three players can rescue only one building every
three days, I think you'll have a market. Unless the Map-Harfer's page
is seriously out of date, there are currently no less than ELEVEN
buildings dangling by their emergency tethers.

breadbox
seriously starting to prefer a world with gravity

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:56:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wings (was re: monopoles)

> I am purchasing a set of wings from the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic
> Replication. I'm trying to imagine how well they would go with my pointy
> ears.
> Niccolo Flychuck

I'm just thankful you didn't go for the extra head.

I hereby propose that fnord, breadbox, and Niccolo Flychuck fly up, or
fly down - uh, fly OUT, and rescue the Hall of Elders. What say you
two?

b

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #504
*******************************