Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #497
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, February 1 1997      Volume 01 : Number 497

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:02:39 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Museum door prize

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Its time for the Ackanomic Museum of Antiquities to have its
# first door prize.  This is a private gathering for the Museum's
# generous benefactors.  The bonus vote will be awarded based on
# the die roll as follows:
# 1 - 275: snowgod
# 276 - 491: Guy Fawkes
# 492 - 501: /dev/joe
# The benefactors who do not reveive the bonus vote can describe the
# lame door prize they receive, if they wish
# Malenkai
# Curator

No. of sides on every die:    501
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

    149

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is a public service provided by Shadow Island Games.

Original headers follow:

> From [email-masked]  Fri Jan 31 22:02:36 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by rt.com
>       id WAA25098 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:02:36 -0800
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by rt.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma025096; Fri Jan 31 22:02:29 1997
> Received: from ppp113.itw.com (ppp113.itw.com [206.138.122.113]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id BAA01708 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 1 Feb 1997 01:00:13 -0500
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 01:01:03 -0500
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win16; I)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Acka: Museum door prize
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBMvLcfj8NitsTFjcVAQHoqwP/asX+4v8ODQ2sZXeoHSUpzcJkiSYBKXHM
ul+5VD0NyLOY2t8377iEmfJ2yjxRZC7zbWFZSnhgL2j9YfY/8MR5ZIORp+8Jg3rv
czdro9of/t/W7wl4QQHnhlBG7N6YQPGqueDl0GQ2Kq5rt+6nbY43h7QqNW5c+m0s
ATVStTGx0Xg=
=fdFm
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 00:05:02 -0600
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: *ping* 

Today is Saturday, the 1st day of February, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 13 times. 

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:15:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

> Today is Saturday, the 1st day of February, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
> and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
> Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 13 times. 
> 
> /dev/joe
> Scholar of *ping*

I hereby accuse wilma of having snowgod's disease.

(joke)

b

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 02:15:00 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Steven A. Swiniarski)
Subject: Acka: Museum Donation

I am going to the Museum and donating My Evil Ballot Stuffer, it having
seen more than enough use.

Swann

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 01:21:01 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

> Today is Saturday, the 1st day of February, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
> and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
> Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 13 times. 

Please ignore that.
Funny thing about cron jobs, if you forget to turn them off, they keep
going as planned.  If nobody had figured out the Truth yet, somebody
would have with that ping.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 01:48:16 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 344 (CnH) 

>> I can forward them to you, but I would check with snowgod first, in
>> case he has actually done it already.  Since I am arguing that the
>> descriptions do not affect the game state, it is not urgent, although
>> it would be cool to have them linked from the map, eventually.
>>
>> Malenkai
>
>  Fair 'nuff.  Snowgod, have you?
>
>-Red Barn

I have collected them on written the HTML.  However, I will be unable to
upload them for one week.  More on that in a later message.  If someone
wants to do it in the meantime, feel free.  If you can wait a week, I'll do
it :)

snowgod
who needs to seek the senates approval for adding to the Tower of Bandwidth

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 02:00:28 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Player (Mentor: Niccolo Flychuck) 

We have a new player in Ackanomic.  Please welcome Ludwig to the game.
Ludwig's email adress is [email-masked] and his real name is Chris
Lundberg. Niccolo Flychuck has been (randomly) selected as his mentor.

In response to the Market Research Questiuon he writes:

>
>I discovered Ackanomic when looking for chess variants
>Ackanomic's chess is very interesting.
>I read many of the rules on the web page
>that about covers it

Let's all welcome him to the game!

snowgod
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 02:04:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation 

I am going to be housesitting for some friends for the next 3 weeks.  I
havn't yet figured out how I am going to check my email well I am over
there, and will only be at home briefly (if at all) so I am placing myself
on vacation for an "Official" expected duration of seven days.  The actual
expected duration is 2 days, by which time I should have figured out a
solution.

There is no business outstanding in Internomic, currently.  I will continue
to remain moderator, but Malenkai will become Liason well I am gone.  Other
than that there is not much else to worry about.

If anyone needs to get my attention send email to me WITH THE SUBJECT LINE
IN ALL CAPS and I'll have my little sister let me know whatever it says.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 07:58:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 344 (CnH)

If you want to see the description for the Monument to Futility, look in 
the email archive.  It was built on the first of November.  As for the 
Tower of Bandwidth, I don't know when it was built.

Guy Fawkes

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) wrote:
> 
> >   I've been at this tower long enough - I'm going home.  Where are
> > monuments archived, anyway?  I couldn't find them.  (Now, of course, I am
> > doomed to find what I need as soon as I hit "Send". :|)
> 
> They aren't.  I have all the descriptions in a folder, but not on
> the web.  There was a rumour that snowgod was going to put the
> descriptions on the web, but I have heard nothing further.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 08:06:18 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (Mentor: Niccolo Flychuck)

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

Greetings, Ludwig!  If you want to play Party Chess right away, you can 
purchase a Swinger's Office for A$300; alternatively, one was buried 
as a Treasure yesterday.  Find it and you can lay PC for free!

Welcome!

Guy Fawkes

> In response to the Market Research Questiuon he writes:
> 
> >
> >I discovered Ackanomic when looking for chess variants
> >Ackanomic's chess is very interesting.
> >I read many of the rules on the web page
> >that about covers it

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 10:02:15 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 336 (ThinMan)

Feb 01 10:02 EST: -10 Bascule: Failed to deliver a verdict on CFJ 336

It has been assigned to ThinMan.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 336
  Subject: Silence of the Gaolbirds
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Bascule (failed to deliver verdict)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (selected Feb 01, 1997, 10:02h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

A player in Gaol may not send a public message except as allowed by,
required by, or in conjunction with performing the activities listed
in the numbered list in rule 709.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Sending a public message is a regulated game action.  Specifically, it
is regulated by rules 372, and 370, and its content is regulated by
R 374, for example:

> Any Player sending a public message should be as polite as possible.

>From R 709:

> If a player is in the Gaol, they may perform no game actions except
> those on the following numbered list and those allowed by Rule 101.

Sending a public message is not on the numbered list, and does not fall
under the auspices of R 101 (which is the old R 115 and applies to
unregulated actions).

Therefore it is not permitted to be performed by a player in Gaol,
in general.

Now, what about in conjuction with the items on the numbered list, as
the CFJ's statement explores that question specifically.

The meta clause before the numbered list explicitly defers precedence
to any rule which regulates the items on the numbered list, therefore the
above exclusion does not apply where the rules which enable those actions
allow or require public messages in conjunction with performing those
actions.

A verdict of TRUE is indicated, although unraveling the rules on this
could be fun, and a verdict of FALSE is possible :)

I realise we have not been playing this way, but there is precedent for
playing "wrong" before the fact is pointed out (qv CFJ 280, where it
was pointed out that we did paradox wins "wrong" for awhile).

This also seems harsh, and maybe we should change it, but the rules
are the rules.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 10:29:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (Mentor: Niccolo Flychuck)

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> We have a new player in Ackanomic.  Please welcome Ludwig to the game.

His starting cash is A$1159.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 11:00:09 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: game state loose ends info

1) The appeal of CFJ 330 is now late in the supreme court.

2) Several CFJs have gone deabbeat lately, and a couple more are
scheduled to do so this weekend.  Important thread collapsing ones
are CFJ 341 and 342.  Check the CotC page for deadlines.

3) Habeous Corpus is in the Hall of Elders.  His holiday is July 13th.
Note that the Historian is required to write a bio of any inductee into
the HoE.  I have poetry written for Wayne if you want to use that.

4) Recent prime number proposals to be accepted are 1621, 1627, and 1637.
I believe there should be an Otzma day somewhere along the line here.

5) We should resume the current game of Fictionary.  Do we have to decide
or clean up anything from the last turn?

6) The results of duels 5 and six are due.

If anyone can think of anything else, like stuff I need to be doing,
please let me know.

Malenkai
Speaker
finally caught up

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:54:02 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1707

Proposal 1707
Join Assembly
Niccolo Flychuck

Append to R720 "Institutions" the following text as section 5:
"When two or more Institutions are called to vote on a matter in Joint
Assembly, then all the members of all the Institution in the specific
Joint Assembly vote on the matter as if they were all members of one
Institution, with the exception that each player votes once for each
Institution in the Joint Assembly that he is a member of an acting member
of.
If two or more Institutiont are called to vote on a matter and a Joint
Assembly is not explicitly specified, then each Institution votes
seperately.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:54:03 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1708

Proposal 1708
Chess Things
Niccolo Flychuck

 {{[Now, that's really more like it]}}
 
 This is a Modest proposal
 In 1230.2 "Swinger Like to Play Around II - Managing the game"
 section 2 J.(i) will be ammended to read in full:
 "A Round of play is defined as a time period in which each Swinger played
 at least once, and at least one Swinger played only once, where a Default
 Pass also counts a play, and a Special
 DD-Turn counts as a play for each Swinger taking part in that turn, in eir
 capacity as Swinger."

 In section 2 D the text :
 " as a result of the fact that eir Party no longer exists,"
 Will be deleted.
 
 {{[The second is a correction to the null proposal. The first should have
 really gone with the check fix, because playing order may change as a
 result of check, it is possible that the current condition of each Swinger
 playing exactly once, might never be met. In the spirit of that
 ammendemnt, Special DD-Turn also count.
  With the recently submitted definition a Round could be aslong as
  one wanted. With this definition, once everyone has played once, a
  Round is definitely over.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:54:04 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1709

Proposal 1709
Creation of a Party Chess Piece Transmogrifier
Guy Fawkes

Create a new rule, a member of the Party Chess Rule Suite, with text as 
follows:

1.  A Transmogrifier is represented by the ASCII character X.
2.  A Transmogrifier can move up to three squares in any single direction.
3.  Each extant Transmogrifier has its own Transmogrification Index, or 
TI.  When created, a Transmogrifier has a TI of 20.  Upon making a 
capture, a Transmogrifier may Transmogrify any one piece within N squares in 
any horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction, where N is the material 
value of the just-captured piece.

When a piece is Transmogrified, it is destroyed, and a new piece is 
instantly created and placed on the square the just-Transmogrified piece 
occupied when it was destroyed.  The absolute value of the difference 
between the Transmogrified piece's material value and the new 
piece's material value is subtracted from the Transmogrifier's TI.  If 
this would result in a negative TI, the Trasmogrification cannot take place.

A Transmogrification takes place if and only if the Swinger controlling the 
Transmogrifying Transmogrifier unambiguously specifies a legal 
Transmogrification in the same post as he makes the capture which opens 
the possibility of Transmogrifcation.

Kings cannot be Transmogrified, nor can Kings be Created through 
Transmogrification.

4.  A Transmogrifier has a material value of 12.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:54:05 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1710

Proposal 1710
Let's Not Let Party Chess Pieces Get Stale, Mate
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest Proposal.  
Add the following to the end of Rule 1230.1, section 3.

J. {{On April 1, 1997,}} Any Party Chess Piece Def Rule existing for 10 
weeks or more, yet describing a type of Piece of which no example has 
existed in the past 10 weeks, is repealed.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:07:06 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1710

> Proposal 1710
> Let's Not Let Party Chess Pieces Get Stale, Mate

> J. {{On April 1, 1997,}} Any Party Chess Piece Def Rule existing for 10
> weeks or more, yet describing a type of Piece of which no example has
> existed in the past 10 weeks, is repealed.

I think I know what was intended here, but the April 1 bit will self-delete
immediately, then all Party Chess Piece Def Rules which meet the
criteria will be destroyed.  Just as a note, rules were denied PCPD
status for not having the article "a" in them, awhile back.  I would
also argue that there are no current "Party Chess Piece Def Rules".

Also, if P 1709 is accepted, it will not create a "Creation of a 
PartyChessPiece" rule either, IMHO.

I do not play party chess, but if I did, I would oppose this amendment
as I believe it is intented, simply because I like variety.  Putting
the rules in their own rule suite allowed "stale" rules to not
be a problem in terms of ruleset size.  Perhaps in 6 months, someone
will find one of the pieces interesting, and buy one, or a Swinger will
start experimenting with the other pieces.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:07:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Travelling

I am going to visit the Amber Banana Tree.

Unfortunately, the rules are unclear about the location of the Amber
Banana Tree. I had always *assumed* that the Amber Banana Tree is on
Techno's property. If that is the case, then until I get permission
from Techno to enter his property, I shall instead stand as close to
the Amber Banana Tree as possible without actually leaving Yellow
Roosevelt Avenue. (Techno does live on Yellow Roosevelt Avenue,
doesn't he?)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:11:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: At the Amber Banana Tree

Looking up into the branches of the Amber Banana Tree, I shout, "Hey,
Jane! Have Cheetah throw down a vine!"

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:32:01 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Evil Twins

m> I announce that I agree to be Calvin N Hobbes' Evil Twin, if he 
m> agrees to be mine.
c> I do indeed!
	*cackling evilly*

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:02:50 -0800 (PST)
From: fnord <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Travelling

Brian Raiter spake thusly
> 
> I am going to visit the Amber Banana Tree.
> 
> Unfortunately, the rules are unclear about the location of the Amber
> Banana Tree. I had always *assumed* that the Amber Banana Tree is on
> Techno's property. 

I had wondered that as well, also going under the assumption
that the Tree is on Techno's property.  If that is so, then how
do players get the Bananas from the Tree, when they wish to 
purchase/eat one?

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:46:52 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Travelling

fnord wrote:

> I had wondered that as well, also going under the assumption
> that the Tree is on Techno's property.  If that is so, then how
> do players get the Bananas from the Tree, when they wish to
> purchase/eat one?

I believe the banana tree is in the Treasury, and the rules allow
manipulation of it as described.  Perhaps we need an acka-orchard.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:50:40 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1702

> Thanks to my poor typing [submit propos al], it wouldn't be a valid PCPD
> rule anyway.  :)
	I believe that, poor typing or not, that's a correctable error 
made by the bot... but okay.

- --Mohammed
saw star wars last night

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:03:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

	snowgod, may I have permission to enter your house?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:12:25 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: game state loose ends info

Malenkai wrote:
> 3) Habeous Corpus is in the Hall of Elders.  His holiday is July 13th.
> Note that the Historian is required to write a bio of any inductee into
> the HoE.  I have poetry written for Wayne if you want to use that.

I need his possessions for the Hall of Elders page.  Malenkai, in his
efficiency, has already deleted them from the Players/Entities page.
All I can remember or figure out is a vending machine and 20 bond
promissories.

> 5) We should resume the current game of Fictionary.  Do we have to decide
> or clean up anything from the last turn?

The gamesmaster simply needs to repost this chart for my turn to begin:

                Prev. score  This round  Total score  Defn written Defn voted
/dev/joe            12           3           15            3           6
snowgod              6           1            7            6           6
ThinMan              4           0            4            ?           3
Techno (Guy Fawkes)  8           4           12            -           -
breadbox            10           0           10            ?           3
Malenkai             5           0            5            ?           3
Habeous Corpus       2           2            4            -           -

Note that Guy Fawkes has returned (quite some time ago, now) so Techno
is no longer playing.  If the other players care to announce which
definitions they wrote, I will add the information to the web page in
place of the ?'s above.  Note that definition 1 is subject to ridicule.

> 6) The results of duels 5 and six are due.

Actually, Red Barn already won duel 5, but Duels 6 and 7 need to be posted.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:14:58 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador: This Means War!

>   If we had trade agreements, we could abuse them by sending in shock
> troops! :)  But it should still be possible to do somethring.  Perhaps,
> before they know we know, we could sneak in a seemingly harmless proposal
> to invalidate this?
	I think we should just all join their game, and wreak what havoc 
we may.

	First, though, we should have a rule like this--

No person who is a member of any other Nomic may join Ackanomic without 
notifying the Registrar at the time e applies for membership.  The 
Registrar may reject any application for membership on the grounds that 
the person who applies is a member of a Nomic with which Ackanomic is at 
war.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 13:14:10 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: game state loose ends info

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Note that Guy Fawkes has returned (quite some time ago, now) so Techno
> is no longer playing.  If the other players care to announce which
> definitions they wrote, I will add the information to the web page in
> place of the ?'s above.  Note that definition 1 is subject to ridicule.

I wrote the snaillike definition (1), start your ridicule :)
Also, snowgod is on vacation, so I suppose a bot plays for him?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:20:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 343 (Bascule)

Rule 839 says that buildings are entities.  
Rule 500 says entities may only be created, etc. as specified by the rules.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:33:59 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1711

Proposal 1711
Value
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[this doesn't really change the way the game is played, except when
the treasury is getting too low to back the value of Trinkets, making them
unredeemable.  The goal here is to set up a true equivelance between
A$ and Trinkets, rather than the pseudo one we have now.  It also allows
the exporting of Trinkets to have some meaning, if we ever export them.]}}

- ---------------------------------------------------

I. Amend R 505, "Treasury and AckaDollars", in the following ways:

A. Replace the text of section III, which reads:

"
AckaDollars may not be created nor destroyed. This Rule has precedence
over any Rule that would create or destroy A$. Whenever the Rules
specify that a Player should receive A$, and do not indicate where those
A$ should come from, they shall come from the Treasury. Whenever the
Rules specify that a Player should lose A$, and do not indicate where
those A$ should go to, or specify that they should be destroyed, they
shall go to the Treasury instead. The total number of A$ shall always
be 75,000. 
"

with:

"
AckaDollars may not be created nor destroyed, except as Trinkets are
created and destroyed. This Rule has precedence over any Rule that would
create or destroy A$, except it defers to rules concering the creation
and destruction of Trinkets. Whenever the Rules specify that a Player
should receive A$, and do not indicate where those A$ should come from,
they shall come from the Treasury. Whenever the Rules specify that a
Player should lose A$, and do not indicate where those A$ should go to,
or specify that they should be destroyed, they shall go to the Treasury 
instead. The total number of A$ shall always be 75,000 less the
combined value of all extant Trinkets (including those Trinkets created
in Ackanomic, yet exported as described in the rules).
"

- ----

B. Replace the text of section VI, which reads:

" 
      A player may donate any non-mimsy Tradeable or gift entity they own
to the Treasury by publically announcing they are doing so.
"

with:

" 
      A player may donate any non-mimsy Tradeable or gift entity they own
to the Treasury by publically announcing they are doing so.  If the entity
is a Trinket, it is transformed into its value in A$ upon donation.
"
 
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

II.  Amend R 506, "Trinkets" to read in full:

      A class of gift entities known as Trinkets exist. 

      Trinkets always have a value in positive A$. The value of a Trinket
may only be changed as specified by the rules. The owner of a Trinket may 
transform it into its value in A$ by publically announcing they are doing
so. This action destroys the Trinket, creating A$ in its stead, and it
upsets the art and  antiquities communities. 

      A player may create a Trinket by publically announcing its name,
description, and value, as long as the player has at least as many A$
as the announced value.  Upon doing so, the stated amount of A$ is
transformed into the Trinket, and the creating player becomes the owner
of the Trinket. 

      Other rules may also create and bestow ownership of Trinkets, so
long as the rule provides for naming, describing, and valuing the Trinket.
In these cases, however, if the value of the Trinket would exceed the
number of A$ in the Treasury directly before it would be created, it is
not created. 

      Trinkets have no power to affect any entities except as specified
in the rules. 

      [What are Trinkets used for? Adding color, basically. Allowing gifts
of value other than Prosthetic Foreheads to be given, and for possible use
as Buried Treasure, or other uses.] 

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

III.  Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", to replace:

"If the amount of A$s in circulation"

with:

"If the total of A$s in circulation plus the value of all extant Trinkets"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:35:40 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1709

> Proposal 1709
> Creation of a Party Chess Piece Transmogrifier
> Guy Fawkes

> When a piece is Transmogrified, it is destroyed, and a new piece is 
> instantly created and placed on the square the just-Transmogrified piece 
> occupied when it was destroyed.  The absolute value of the difference 
> between the Transmogrified piece's material value and the new 
> piece's material value is subtracted from the Transmogrifier's TI.  If 
> this would result in a negative TI, the Trasmogrification cannot take place.

Who owns the new piece?

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:49:46 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1648 rejected (Generic Proposal Title #1648)

Proposal 1648
Generic Proposal Title #1648
Eponimondas

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 18 = 66.666667%
Yes:  0    No:  12     Present:  0   ...Proposal rejected.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:51:23 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1648 rejected (Generic Proposal Title #1648)

Proposal 1648
Generic Proposal Title #1648
Eponimondas

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 18 = 66.666667%
Yes:  0    No:  12     Present:  0   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:

NO votes:
	mr cwm
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Strider
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Lestrade
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	fnord
	snowgod
	Bascule
	Techno
	Swann
	Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:56:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1711

> Proposal 1711
> Value
> Malenkai
	I oppose this proposal for two reasons.  One, it complicates the 
rule set with little real benefit; two, I don't like the effect.  I don't 
think trinkets should be equivalent with cash.  Currently it feels like 
when one creates a Trinket, one is creating value.  Which is true, in 
terms of fun, and is well reflected in the economics of the game.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 20:59:37 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1710

I'm against this one. A variety of pieces allows different Swingers to
consruct their forces differnetly, it also allows the same Swinger to
change eir own collection from time to time. The fact that a piece is not
being used for a while, does not mean that it won't be used in the near
future.

A variety of pieces allows for varied styles of play.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> Proposal 1710
> Let's Not Let Party Chess Pieces Get Stale, Mate
> Guy Fawkes
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.  
> Add the following to the end of Rule 1230.1, section 3.
> 
> J. {{On April 1, 1997,}} Any Party Chess Piece Def Rule existing for 10 
> weeks or more, yet describing a type of Piece of which no example has 
> existed in the past 10 weeks, is repealed.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:04:48 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Pythoncross treasure Results

The Pythoncross treasure, which consisted of the Golden Frinking Straw,
was found by breadbox, with a valid entry (less than 2 hours before the
deadline) of 551 points.

I am hereby creating two trinkets, each worth A$10, named
"an A for effort" and "an E for effort".  Each is a small letter
(A or E as appropriate) crafted in gold, with a small loop at the top
so it could be hung from a necklace or other device.  I am giving
an A for effort to Guy Fawkes, who submitted the second best entry of
515 points.  I am giving an E for effort to ThinMan, who submitted the
first valid entry.
/dev/joe -20 trinkets

breadbox's entry, which features a spectacular parallel play forming
6 crossing words, is shown below.

     PYTHONCROSS             -rack-- score
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+      1 HRMOETR   20  A 2 2 OTHER
1 S L E A Z E _ A N 1      2 MRTISEN   45  D 1 2 MITE (MOTHER)
2 M O T H E R , M A 2      3 RSNTOPL   37  A 1 6 ROT (MITER)
3 I , . # D E L , M 3      4 SNPLDIT   59  A 1 7 SNIP (MITERS,ON,TI)
4 T O M E S " # R E 4      5 LDTEIME   23  A 5 3 DEL (ED,RE)
5 E , . " " " . U _ 5      6 TIMELAE   33  A 3 8 TIME (TIT,PI)
6 R O T " " " . B A 6      7 LAEZSIP   31  A 4 9 PI (PIP,MI)
7 S N I P . O K E H 7      8 LAEZSEO  116  A 1 1 SLEAZE (SMITERS,LO,ET,AH,ZED,
8 _ , T I M E , , O 8      9 OUMKAQE   17  A 6 7 OKE (OE)                 ERE)
9 _ _ _ P I # _ _ Y 9     10 UMAQHYO   30  D 9 7 HOY (OKEH)
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+     11 UMAQWBA   37  A 8 6 BA (BE,AHOY)
Key: "=2 .=3 ,=4 _=5      12 UMQWARE   16  D 8 4 RUBE
High Score: N/A           13 MQWAENA   29  D 9 1 NAME (RE)
Letter List:              14 QWAMOTM   28  D 8 1 AM (AN,MA)
HRMOETRTISENTOPLDITE      15 QWOTMES   30  A 1 4 TOMES (ZEDS)
IMELAEZSIPEOUMKAQEHY         ------- ----  Repeated words:
OWBARENAMOTMESTAGR@SP        total:   551  None

Even with the scores increasing so rapidly towards the end, nobody came
close to the score I planted in the creation of the letter list for
this game, which uses all 60 letters and scores 715 points (although I
admit breadbox got closer than I thought anybody would):

     PYTHONCROSS             -rack-- score
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+      1 HRMOETR   24  A 2 2 MOTHER
1 _ _ L I O N I Z E 1      2 RTISENT   59  D 1 2 SITTER (SMOTHER)
2 S M O T H E R , _ 2      3 NOPLDIT   56  A 3 1 LION (LO,IT,OH,NE)
3 I M P # M E E T S 3      4 PDTEIME   44  A 5 3 MEET (OHM,NEE,RE)
4 T , . " " " # , Q 4      5 PDILAEZ   43  D 2 5 IDEA (TI,ED,RE)
5 T I G E R S . N U 5      6 PLZSIPE   47  A 3 1 LIONIZE (IRE)
6 E D . S A T . O E 6      7 PLSPOUM   41  A 1 9 PLOP (IDEAL)
7 R E . T R A M , A 7      8 SUMKAQE   48  D 9 3 SQUEAK (MEETS)
8 _ A M O E B A , K 8      9 MHYOWBA   50  A 7 9 WHY (SQUEAKY)
9 P L O P _ # W H Y 9     10 MOBAREN   51  A 2 8 AMOEBA (MO,OP,AW)
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+     11 RNAMOTM   50  A 4 7 TRAM (TOP,RE,AB,MAW)
Key: "=2 .=3 ,=4 _=5      12 NOMESTA   38  A 4 6 SAT (STOP,ARE,TAB)
High Score: N/A           13 NOMEGRS   56  A 1 5 TIGERS (ESTOP,RARE,STAB)
Letter List:              14 NOMP      32  A 1 3 IMP (MM,LOP)
HRMOETRTISENTOPLDITE      15 NO        76  D 8 5 NO (NU,OE)
IMELAEZSIPEOUMKAQEHY         ------- ----  Repeated words:
OWBARENAMOTMESTAGRSP@        total:   715  None

It seems that I have to post the actual text of the map now, which is
identical to what I originally posted, and this is all that is left in
this message so if you don't care you can stop reading now.

/dev/joe

- -----------Begin Pythoncross Map-------------
I am burying the Golden Frinking Straw as a treasure, with the following map:

The player who sends /dev/joe the highest-scoring valid Pythoncross score
record for the game defined by the Pythoncross data file between the
"---" lines below by February 1 at noon, CST shall find this treasure.
If no valid score records are received by that date, the first player
to send /dev/joe a valid Pythoncross score record shall find the treasure.
Valid score records must follow all the rules of the game, include all the
information requested (see below), and use only words from the second
Official Ackanomic Dictionary (the Marldoom link on the main Ackanomic
web page).
- ---
/dev/joe's Treasure Map Special #1
hrmoetrtisentoplditeimelaezsipeoumkaqehyowbarenamotmestagrsp
2 2 4 3 7 4 6 9
- ---
This means that the string of 60 characters above is the letter list,
that the starting space is in the 2nd column and 2nd row, that there are
blocked squares at the intersections of the 4th column and 3rd row,
the 7th column and 4th row, and the 6th column and 9th row (see (a) below),
and that the traditional scoring grid is used (see (b) below).

.........            555555555
.*....... * = start  544444445
...#.....            543333345
......#.. # = block  543222345
.........            543222345
.........            543222345
.........            543333345
.........            544444445
.....#...            555555555
  (a)                   (b)

The data file is in a form ready to be used with the Python program
pcross.py.  To play Pythoncross by hand, draw out a 9x9 grid and mark
the starting space, the blocked spaces, and the score for each space.
This is your playing board.  Also set up a list of 15 rows, each with
a space for 7 letters (your rack), the score for that play, and the
words formed in that play.  Also copy the letter list so you can mark
letters off of it.

Pythoncross is a game played as follows:

Begin the game by drawing the first seven letters from the letter list
as your first rack, and scratch those off the letter list.  Form a word
of 2 or more letters, and place it in the board so that it reads from
left to right or from top to bottom, with either the first or last
letter on the indicated starting space.  Score points equal to the
sum of the values of the squares this word lies on.

For each play after the first, scratch the letters just played from
your rack, and copy the remaining letters down to the next row.
Fill your rack up to 7 letters by taking the next unused letters from
the letter list.  Now place one or more of these letters on the board
so that a new word is formed that connects in some way with the
letters already on the board.  All letters played in one turn must
be part of a single word; however, additional words may be created
or extended in the direction perpendicular to the main word.

All adjacent groups of letters must spell words from left to right
and from top to bottom.  Diagonal, backward, and upward words and
words within words do not count.  Below are examples of the possible
ways to connect words, with the letters just played in caps.

                v
           m    i       had  tank
carPET   MEaL   n      men   o  n
           n    y     ZANY   PILinG
               SLEET            too

  (1)    (2a)   (2b)    (3)   (4)

1. Extending a word - adding letters before or after (or on both ends of)
a word already on the board.
2. Playing perpendicular to an existing word - such a word may
either cross through a word already on the board (not modifying it),
or pass just by the end of a word, adding a letter to it.
3. Playing parallel to an existing word - such a play always forms or
extends at least one additional word.
4. There may be combinations of the above.

For each play, score the sum of the values all the squares in each
new word you form and each previously existing word you extend,
including those spaces covered by letters played in previous turns.
Sometimes this will mean you score for the same square twice in
a single play.  Above, you would score for CARPET in (1), for MEAL
in (2a), for VINYL and SLEET in (2b), for ZANY, MA, HEN, and ANY
in (3), and for PILING, TOP, and GO in (4).

The game ends after 15 plays have been made.  When the game ends,
there must not be any repeated words on the board (although it is
otherwise fine to repeat words during the game).

If at some point you are unable to form a word, you may dump all
seven letters instead of playing a word.  This counts as one of
your 15 plays.  If you do so, take the next seven letters from
the letter list for your next rack, and lose 25 points.

You may find that you run out of letters to draw from the letter list.
If this happens, you may continue forming words (until you use all
the letters or you run out of turns) but you will not draw any
additional letters.  If at some point you have placed all 60 letters
onto the board, score 50 extra bonus points, and the game ends.
(Note that dumping a rack, as in the previous rule, forfeits any
chance at this bonus, since the letters dumped will never be placed
on the board.)

The minimum information required for a valid score record is the final
board of letters, the total score, and for each play, the location
and direction of the play (location given by the column and row that
the first latter lies in), the word played, and all additional words
formed or modified by that play.  The pcross.py program reports this
information (and more) in a convenient format, and can save it in
a file for you at the end of the game.

Below is a sample output from pcross.py (for a different game),
illustrating the ways words are formed and the information expected
in a game report (D and A stand for Down and Across):

     PYTHONCROSS             -rack-- score
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+      1 LUNAFIX   10  D 3 6 FIX 
1 _ S A L T I N E S 1      2 LUNAFES   26  D 4 7 FUN (IF,XU)
2 P A T I O , # , O 2      3 LAESMIP   27  D 2 2 AMPLE (EF)
3 _ M E T E R . , _ 3      4 SIALTEN   60  A 2 1 SALTINE (SAMPLE)
4 _ P . " " Y . , B 4      5 CABUTEH   25  A 4 9 NATCH 
5 _ L . " # E . K A 5      6 BUEPORC   27  D 1 6 RUB (REF)
6 R E F " " " N E T 6      7 EPOCETI   48  A 1 2 PATIO (AT,LI,TO)
7 U , I F . G U T _ 7      8 ECEYTEH   49  A 2 3 METE (ATE,LIT,TOE)
8 B , X U , O , C # 8      9 CYEHAUK   30  A 1 9 YA (RUBY)
9 Y A _ N A T C H _ 9     10 CEHUKTO   21  D 8 5 KETCH 
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+     11 HUOKTBN   20  D 7 6 NU (NE,UT)
Key: "=2 .=3 ,=4 _=5      12 HOKTBTA   36  D 9 4 BAT (KA,NET)
High Score: 409           13 HOKTSRO   50  D 9 1 SO (SALTINES)
Letter List:              14 HKTROYG   22  D 6 7 GOT (GUT)
LUNAFIXFESMIPALTENCA      15 HKTRYNE   23  D 6 3 RYE (METER)
BUTEHPORCETIYTEHAUKT         ------- ----
OKTBNTASROYGNELIS@MAT        total:   474

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #497
*******************************