Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #485
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, January 27 1997       Volume 01 : Number 485

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 01:10:23 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> >A$441
> >
> >	Are you aware that you are double-posting everything?  
> >
> >		Strider
> 
> I wasn't, thanks.
> 
> A$486
> (The evil number!  But it was next.)
> 
> -Red Barn
> 
I bid A$550

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:28:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

Uri Bruck wrote:

> I bid A$550

This bid is valid.  It exceeds the previous valid bid by at least
10%.  However, several bids in the sequence I just read through were
not valid for this reason.  Please be careful, I would not want a
bid to be invalid for such a picayune reason.

Remember also, that in Acka, currency amounts are always rounded up
in favor of the entity receiving the money (in this case, the treasury).

So, the next valid bid after 441, for example, is 486.  This may have
occurred for this particular example, but I *did* see examples where this
mistake was made.

Malenkai
Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:34:47 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1684

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1684
> 's Bribery
> snowgod

Several proposals in the recent batch had chopped titles.  Are these
the indended titles from the author, titles chosen by the promoter,
the bot, or something else?

Malenkai
curious

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:50:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> >A$441
> >
> >	Are you aware that you are double-posting everything?  
> >
> >		Strider
> 
>   I wasn't, thanks.
> 
>   A$486
>   (The evil number!  But it was next.)
> 
> -Red Barn

Now, wouldn't it be great if someone used their Scroll of Crumble to 
destroy the one being auctioned? :)

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:52:17 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 339 Verdict

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> The financier should be able to tell
> us how much money Eponimondas's undead has (about A$1100 if I recall
> correctly).

Indeed the financier could, but it is in another file and not at the
top of my head, but was around A$1154.

This brings up something else that has been nagging me.  Since /dev/joe
stopped managing the undead page, I do not believe a succeeding
Register has managed it.  The rules actually indicate the Financier
or Speaker should manage it, but back then, I am sure it was either
the Registrar or Financier's duty.  To make a long story short, I have
records of all undead stuff *since* I took over the job of financier,
but have none of that data from beforehand, as the previous financier
did not forward it to me.

This brings up and RFC of blowing away all of the undead and their 
possessions, and creating an office of Grave-Harfer or something to
track it.  Its a bit much for me to track, or to figure out now.  If
it were stable when I took over, perhaps not.  In any case, RFC ??

> Would anyone be interested in forcing CFCJ128's penalties by way of
> {{bracketed}} rule text?  I would do this in the same proposal where I
> add a definition for being expelled to the rules (which should say that
> the player cannot return, at least for some length of time, if it is
> to mean much).

First, I believe there is a CFJ that would claim e never joined the
game.  It might make sense to let that clear?

Also, here was once a case where I was considering expelling a player to
prevent a crash.  I forget if it was me or snowgod or someone else,
and I forget the details, but there was some reason where a player
needed to be expelled to avoid some catastrophe if event X ever
occurred.  Event X never occurred, so I guess it doesn't matter.  
snowgod, do you remember this, it had something to do with holidays?
The above really isn't meant to be an argument against the suggestion,
its just personal history.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:53:47 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Now, wouldn't it be great if someone used their Scroll of Crumble to
> destroy the one being auctioned? :)

No, but I could donate the one I paid A$121 for to the museum and
get a credit of A$550 for it :)

Malenkai
philanthropist

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:01:13 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel Limerick - Malenkai and /dev/joe

Oh, Limerick Lovers everywhere, another Duel is being fought out using
that most perfect form of poetry, the limerick.

Send your votes to me the GamesMaster

Niccolo Flychuck

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> T'was a treasure hunter so lame
> Despite his undeserved fame
> Desperate for clues
> Goads me into these duels
> When he should be watching Parades
> 
> Malenkai
> 

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Malenkai buried lots of stuff
> With no maps and clues that were tough.
> The numbers he's teasin'
> Have no rhyme or reason
> And I think they're nothing but guff.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:58:59 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe (mr cwm)

mr cwm wrote:
> 
> Perhaps the wisdom that I now appear to have selfishly kept for myself is
> that one cannot spend seven days thinking that one has at least one more
> day to post Phoebe's Wisdom.  :)

Actually, due to the holiday, you have until Jan 29, 07:57 to
report the wisdom.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:08:37 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 339 Verdict

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > The financier should be able to tell
> > us how much money Eponimondas's undead has (about A$1100 if I recall
> > correctly).
> 
> Indeed the financier could, but it is in another file and not at the
> top of my head, but was around A$1154.
> 
> This brings up something else that has been nagging me.  Since /dev/joe
> stopped managing the undead page, I do not believe a succeeding
> Register has managed it.  The rules actually indicate the Financier

I took over the job from /dev/joe. At the time I remember checking the
rules, and receiving some instructions from /dev/joe. As far as I can
recall, this was not among the duties of the Registrar. At least it wasn't
for most of the time I was Registrar.
So you would be correct in saying that no Registrar has been tracking it
for a long time.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:10:23 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : a bit off -topic - War Craft

Does anyone here play War Craft (like online)?

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:19:01 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Acka:  Whither Red Barn

I was just poking around the web site when I noted
the following

Quote
Locations

All players are in their homes, all unowned entities are in the treasury,
and all other entities do not have a location specified, except as follows:

The Machine That Goes *ping* is in /dev/house
snowgod, Red Barn, and Eponimondas are in the Ackanomic Afterlife
End Quote

Why is Red Barn in theAckanomic Afterlife

Jammer
John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:14:58 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Tower

A long time ago, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> I am adding a 145-meter Ostentatious Tower to Xanadu.  Its name is the 
> Monument to Futility.
> 
> On each side of the door to the Monument to Futility is a large marble 
> tablet bearing the legend, "This tower was erected by Guy Fawkes on the 
> First of November in Year One of Ackanomic.  It serves as a memorial to 
> all who have tried and failed to win by means of paradox, and as a 
> reminder that these Calls for Judgement are not nuissances, but an 
> integral part of our heritage.  All are free to enter the Monument, but 
> do so with neither irritation nor anger, for the discourse engendered by 
> these attempts has been well worth the efforts in having them judged."
 [...]

I am going to the Monument to Futility.

After admiring the statues there (including a statue of myself) for a while,
such a prominent thought comes to mind that I must speak it aloud:
  "Quietly vote for the yeenewkleorrrrmeeesseilllllee mongoose."

I still don't understand what this means, though, so I continue to sit
there admiring the statues, and wondering what it means.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:32:38 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Whither Red Barn

Jammer wrote:
> I was just poking around the web site when I noted
> the following

> All players are in their homes, all unowned entities are in the treasury,
> and all other entities do not have a location specified, except as follows:

> The Machine That Goes *ping* is in /dev/house
> snowgod, Red Barn, and Eponimondas are in the Ackanomic Afterlife
> End Quote
> 
> Why is Red Barn in theAckanomic Afterlife

He was burned in a witchhunt.  He has since been to Gaol, and is now
released; I haven't yet updated that, nor the players who went to the
museum.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:39:31 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel Limerick - Malenkai and /dev/joe 

At 2:01 AM on 1/28/97, Uri Bruck wrote:

> Oh, Limerick Lovers everywhere, another Duel is being fought out using
> that most perfect form of poetry, the limerick.
>
> Send your votes to me the GamesMaster

  I vote for /dev/joe.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:41:30 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka:  Whither Red Barn 

> Why is Red Barn in theAckanomic Afterlife

  Because I was burned as a witch.  If I have a home (that is, the "stop
giving away our valuables" rule hasn't passed yet), I'm renaming it to "Hay
Loft" and going to it.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:44:40 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction 

> I bid A$550
>
> Niccolo Flychuck

  And the race goes on...

  A$605

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:06:30 +0000
From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Tower

Fairly recently, /dev/joe wrote:
> A long time ago, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > I am adding a 145-meter Ostentatious Tower to Xanadu.  Its name is the 
> > Monument to Futility.
> > 
> > On each side of the door to the Monument to Futility is a large marble 
> > tablet bearing the legend, "This tower was erected by Guy Fawkes on the 
> > First of November in Year One of Ackanomic.  It serves as a memorial to 
> > all who have tried and failed to win by means of paradox, and as a 
> > reminder that these Calls for Judgement are not nuissances, but an 
> > integral part of our heritage.  All are free to enter the Monument, but 
> > do so with neither irritation nor anger, for the discourse engendered by 
> > these attempts has been well worth the efforts in having them judged."
>  [...]
> 
> I am going to the Monument to Futility.
> 
> After admiring the statues there (including a statue of myself) for a while,
> such a prominent thought comes to mind that I must speak it aloud:
>   "Quietly vote for the yeenewkleorrrrmeeesseilllllee mongoose."
> 
> I still don't understand what this means, though, so I continue to sit
> there admiring the statues, and wondering what it means.
> 
> /dev/joe

This game never ceases to amaze me. 

Presumably, /dev/joe is treasure hunting. Good luck, /dev/joe

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:31:38 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

I am not bidding merely commenting

> I bid A$550
>
> Niccolo Flychuck

  And the race goes on...

  A$605

- -Red Barn

550
+55
- ------
610

Jammer 
Mathematically
John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:36:49 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction 

> 550
> +55
> ------
> 610

  Now how did I make a mistake like that?  Well, it doesn't really matter -

  A$610

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:44:40 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Dan Knapp wrote:

> > 550
> > +55
> > ------
> > 610
> 
>   Now how did I make a mistake like that?  Well, it doesn't really matter -
> 
>   A$610
> 
> -Red Barn

Uh...  550
	55
      +---
       605

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:45:14 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Scroll of Crumble Auction 

> Uh...  550
>     55
>       +---
>        605

  And now I'm wondering how I goofed on _that_...  too late.  A$5, forever
gone; whatever shall I do?

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:58:10 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Zimbabwe

I am going to Zimbabwe, and playing the Chartreuse Bagpipes while
doing so.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:59:06 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Zimbabwe 

At 10:58 PM on 1/27/97, Malenkai wrote:

> I am going to Zimbabwe, and playing the Chartreuse Bagpipes while
> doing so.

  This game gets weird, sometimes.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:17:51 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Acka:  The Wall is up

,I Jammer, wish to create a trinket

The Grafitti Wall
This transluscent strip of fabric, colored as
a section of cinderblock, sways majestically 
beneath Acka at a hieght - depth? - distance
below Acka that will not be covered by Fly under 
or any hieght provisions will cover it.  It
is securely attached to the ground in one of the
pieces of land that I ,Jammer, own.  On it
are rumoured to appear the wisdom of the Ancients,
While this is but a rumour, it is known that
various comments and observations of me and
my fellow Ackanomians may be found there.

It cost me 15 A$

Jammer -15 A$

it may be found at 
http://members.tripod.com/~John_Martin/AckaGraf.htm

I found appreciate it if this were linked to the main page.

Jammer
who has contributed half of the comments on the Wall
AKA
John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:20:47 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Acka  

Jammer -5 A$
Red Barn +5 A$

Jammer
Who honestly meant it as a joke
John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:26:22 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka 

At 8:20 PM on 1/27/97, John Martin Lotz wrote:

> Jammer -5 A$
> Red Barn +5 A$
>
> Jammer
> Who honestly meant it as a joke

  Cute trick.  Don't repeat.

- -Red Barn
Who honestly didn't mind...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:50:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 127 Verdict

> > A PUBLIC APOLOGY of at least three lines.
> > A FINE of A$25.
> 
> Note the following penalities are now assigned for CFCJ 127.
	"Preceding" penalties?
	Does this mean I have to apologize again?  I guess so.  
I'll go dig up the apology and send it again, ditto... not in the 
mood to write a new one.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:47:39 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka 

> > Jammer -5 A$
> > Red Barn +5 A$

  I am creating a trinket known as "The Five Hundred Misplaced
Ackapennies".  I am using the A$5 that I just got from Jammer to do this.
  (This is because I suddenly realized that, were anyone to vote after me,
Jammer would owe _them_ A$5 as well, or rather, instead, so I figured I
might as well enjoy it while I had it...)

  Red Barn -5 A$

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:50:27 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 127 Verdict 

>     Does this mean I have to apologize again?  I guess so.
> I'll go dig up the apology and send it again, ditto... not in the
> mood to write a new one.

  Well, at least you only got three lines... I was sentenced to ten lines
of apology - the horror!

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:58:32 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka

Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) wrote:
> 
> > > Jammer -5 A$
> > > Red Barn +5 A$
> 
>   I am creating a trinket known as "The Five Hundred Misplaced
> Ackapennies". 

Trinkets are required to have descriptions.

Malenkai
trinket-harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:00:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1684

> Several proposals in the recent batch had chopped titles.  Are these
> the indended titles from the author, titles chosen by the promoter,
> the bot, or something else?
	There is a bug in Acrobot that works like so:
	When it receives mail that says

#submit some such

	rather than

#submit proposal some such

	it for some reason clips some of the text off the first word. 
Actually, the bot is programmed to cut off the first two words ("#submit" and
"proposal", normally) and use the rest as the title.  I don't know why it
doesn't cut off the entire word.  Very odd.
	In any case, I'll rename all the proposals in the bot's memory ("ng"
stands for "Honoring"; "ne" stands for "Everyone".  I've forgotten about
"'s") sometime later.  (It's 11 o'clock and I have Real Work to do before
going home.)
	Oh yes-- there's a #current command now.  Just put

#current

	on a line, alone, to see your current votes.

- --Mohammed
scrambling

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:08:12 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1686

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Stephen McCulley wrote:
> > Proposal 1686
> 		Please, illuminate me.  I assume that you mean for dueling to replace
> the Politeness Moon?
	I agree with this sentiment and will vote YES on Proposal 1686.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:28:28 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prosthetic Forehead

I am creating a Prosthetic Forehead.

Malenkai -7 forehead:

This forehead simply has the following engraved in runic script across
its top:  I have successfully translated the Runestone of Jukkasjarvi,
and have completed the quest for the Golden Frog.  I am now the
Prophet of the Golden Frog.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:29:33 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure

I am creating and burying a Treasure consisting of the following
entities (worth over A$700):

The Golden Frog
The Codex of Jara
An Automatic Sculpture
The Prosthetic Forehead created recently by me refering to the
Runestone of Jukkasjarvi.

I will reveal a portion of the map shortly, and reveal other fragments
to players who express an interest in a manner which should become
apparent soon.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:30:58 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure Map Fragment

The Map to the Golden Frog's location was carved on the Runestone of
Jukkasjarvi by the Ancients.  Fortunately, this Runestone has just
been discovered.  Unfortunately, those oafs at the Frobozz
Archaeologicial Company botched the excavation, and it was shattered
into 24 pieces, plus some other meaningless fragments.  I was only
able to recover the top piece, with some of the runes obliterated:

- --------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The first player to post the valid translated text of the Runestone
of Jukkasjarvi (Translation) shall find the Treasure of Jukkasjarvi.
A Translation is valid if and only if it meets all of the following
conditions:

1) It is in a public message.

2) It contains a numbered list of at least * items from the following
list, (or rea*on**l* para**ras*s ** the te**), ******e* ** ** ***
********* **** *** ** ***** ********.  **l ***h sect**ns mus* ** *rue
wi*h respect t* *** pla*er ******g the list.  Whi** [...]

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:31:57 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinkets

I am creating 23 Trinkets, worth A$3 each, named
'Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragment <n>', where <n> is
replaced by a number from 1 thru 23, so that the names are
unique.

Each Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragment is an irregularly shaped
stone with various glyphs and runes engraved on it.  It is
obvious that they are parts of a larger whole.

[BTW, anyone interested in real runestones should go to Uppsula,
Sweden.  There is a small downtown park there which has an
incredible collection of them, and other Christian and pre-Christian
ere Viking Runestones, Petroglyphs, and miscellaneous artifacts dot the
countryside in that area.  There is one there which has a design
stolen from the Klingons; one of these days I'll put a picture of it
on my homepage :)]

Malenkai
who's acka runestones are just going to contain boring text :(

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:33:23 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Blueprint

I am creating a new Blueprint as follows:
- --------------------------------------------------------
Blueprint
Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser

The Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser (JMCL) is an ancient cousin of
the OMCL.  Initially it is non-broken.  It has a 'Push Me' button.

A player possessing a non-broken JMCL may point it at any other
player who possesses one or more Tradeable of Gift entities with
the string 'Jukkasjarvi' in the entity's name (Qualified Entity).

Upon doing so, amd naming a specific Qualified Entity in the possession
of the target player, and pressing the 'Push Me' button, the specified
entity is transferred from the target player to the owner of the JMCL,
then the JMCL is transferred to the target player.

JMCL's are indestructible.

Malenkai
Wizard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:51:44 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1689

Proposal 1689
More Fun and Games
Guy Fawkes

Create a new rule with text as follows:

{{
The two collections of text herein, the first delimited by **** symbols, 
and the second by ^_^ symbols, shall become two separate Games on the 
Games and Contests Page.  The name of the first game is Double Crash.  
The name of the second game is Single-Capture Go.

****

Double Crash

I.  Equipment: none

II.  Players
minimum: 2; maximum 2

III. Starting an instance of Double Crash
To start an instance of Double Crash, the two participants should notify 
the GamesMaster of their intent to play Double Crash.  The game begins 
when the GamesMaster posts a public message stating that the game is 
beginning.

IV.  Rules of the Games
Throughout these rules, an N-round Salvo is a public post taking the form 
of a numbered list of N five-letter words.  The numbering convention 
and format should be:

	1) [five-letter word]
	2) [another one]
	...  and so on, up to  ...  
	N) [the last one]

A Reply to a Salvo is a reposting of the Salvo being replied to, with the 
addition of a number from 1-5 to the right of each five-letter word.  
This number is the number of "crashes" as defined below, of that word with 
the Replying player's Target Word.  The format should be

	1) [five-letter word]  2 [actual number will vary]
	2) [another one]       3
	... and so on, up to ...
	N) [the last one]      1

Two words crash once for each letter that occupies the same position in 
each word.  (ie, if they have the same first letter, they crash once; if 
they have the same third letter, they crash again.  HEART crashes once 
with SPADE (for the A).  STAFF crahses three times with CHAFF.  SWORD 
does not crash with WORDY.  A five-letter word crashes five times with 
itself.)

The game consists of several rounds, each of which lasts three days or 
until all actions required of players in that round, whichever comes 
first.  If ever a player fails to complete all required actions before 
the end of a round, his opponent wins.  If both players so fail, and the 
game is being held as a Duel, the challenged player wins.  If both 
players so fail, and the game is not being played as a Duel, neither 
player wins, and the game is over.  Each round begins immediately upon 
the end of the previous one.

Round 1)  Each player selects a five-letter word from the Official 
Dictionary.  This is his Target Word, and should be kept secret.  Also, 
each player posts a 6-round Salvo.
Round 2)  Each player Replies to the other's 6-round Salvo.
Round 3)  Each player posts a 5-round Salvo.
Round 4)  Each player Replies to the other's 5-round Salvo.
Round 5)  Each player posts a 4-round Salvo.
Round 6)  Each player Replies to the other's 4-round Salvo.
Round 7)  Each player posts a 3-round Salvo.
Round 8)  Each player Replies to the other's 3-round Salvo.

Hereafter, each odd-numbered round consists of each player posting a 
3-round Salvo; each even-numbered round consists of each player Replying 
to the Salvo the other posted the previous round.

If a player improperly reports the number of crashes any word in any 
Salvo has with his Target Word, or if a player selects as his Target Word 
a word other than a five-letter word from the Official Dictionary, his 
opponent wins as soon as the error is discovered.

The rounds continue until upon the end of a round of Replies, one or both 
Replies indicates that some word in the previous Salvo crashed five times 
with the Replying players Target Word.  If only one-player posted a Salvo 
which included a five-crash word, that player is the tentative winner.  
If both players posted such a Salvo, the player who posted a five-crash 
word higher in the Salvo's list is the tentative winner, if such a player 
can be uniquely defined. (ie, a five-crash word at the #1 slot in a 
Salvo beats one at #2.)  If the two five-crash words occupy the same 
position in their respective Salvos, the player who posted their Salvo 
first is the tentative winner.
 
Once a tentative winner is found, the two players shall reveal their 
respective Target Words.  The players may then examine each others' plays 
for errors.  If no actual errors are found within three days, the 
tentative winner wins the game.

Upon a player winning the game, it ends.  If the game was not being 
played as a Duel, the winner receives A$25 from the Treasury.

****

^_^

Single-Capture Go

I.  Equipment: none

II.  Participants:
minimum players: 2;  maximum players: 12
one referee; any non-player who volunteers may be the referee

III.  Starting an instance of the game:
Single-Capture Go begins when a sufficient number of players agree to 
start and participate in a game of it, and when they inform the 
GamesMaster of their intent.  When the GamesMaster publically announces 
the beginning of the game, it begins.

At the beginning of the game, the referee assigns each player a 
different capital Letter of the alphabet.

IV.  Rules of play
The game is played on an N by N grid, where N is the smallest integer 
such that N^2 is equal to or greater than 12*(the number of players who 
begin the game.

The grid is labeled according the following convention:

	a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 ...
	b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 ...
	c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 ...
	d1 d2 d3 d4 d5 ...
	e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 ...
	...

Each square in the grid may be occupied by exactly one Letter or by the @ 
character.

A round begins when the referee announces the beginning of a round.  For 
all rounds but the first, he should include in this announcement a 
depiction of the grid, showing all Letters upon it, as well as a summary 
of the any moves made or attempted in the last round and the players 
remaining in the game.  A round lasts three days after this announcement.

During the course of a round, each player may privately mail the referee 
their play, which shall consist of naming exactly one square on the grid 
not occupied by a Letter at the beginning of the round.  (ie, e7, 
assuming e7 was unoccupied at the beginning of the present round.)  
If a player sends the referee two valid moves, only the latter one shall 
count.

At the end of a round, the referee shall determine its results as follows.
1) If exactly one player legally played a given grid square that round, the 
referee shall place the Letter assigned to that player on that grid square.

2) If more than one player legally played a given grid square that round, 
the referee shall place a @ character on that grid square.  The players 
who played that square are still counted as having moved that round.

3) A Group is a set of identical Letters occupying squares on the grid, 
such that each member of the Group occupies a square orthogonally 
adjacent to one occupied by at least one other member of the Group.  The 
exception to this definition is that a single Letter, not so adjacent to 
any identical Letters, is considered a Group of one member.

A Group has Liberty as long as at least one of its members is 
orthogonally adjacent to an unoccupied grid square.

At this point, if any Group does not have Liberty, the player 
corresponding to that Group's Letter is doomed.  Any player who did not 
play in the most recent round is also doomed.

4) Any Letters on the grid corresponding to a doomed player are 
transformed into @ characters.

5) If exactly one non-doomed player remains in the game, that player wins.  
If no non-doomed players remain, the player who had the most correpsonding 
Letters on the grid prior to the most recent transformation into @ 
characters wins.  There are no other winning conditions.

6) All doomed players are removed from the game.  If more than one player 
remains, the referee announces the start of a new round, as described 
above.  Otherwise, the game ends.  

^_^

}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:51:43 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1688

Proposal 1688
Runestone of Jukkasjarvi
Malenkai

Bribe: A random Trinket whose name contains the string 'Jukkasjarvi'.

Create a new rule with the following text:

{{[The fragments of the Runestone of Jukkasjarvi, in sum, contain all
the clues necessary to find the Golden Frog.  Although the technology
doesn't quite exist in the rules to do what I want to do, it is fairly
close, and I figured I'd give it a go with Trinkets as a prototype.
Whenever you legally view a Runestone of Jukkasjarvi fragment, I will
e-mail you the runes on that fragment.

The Golden Frog is quite a valuable treasure, and an ancient historical
relic from the game.  Worst case is you end up with a Trinket worth
A$3 for voting yes, and it could be fun.  Most importantly, this
prototype could open up development of an interesting line of gameplay
by someone wiser than myself, who knows.

I had planned to simply distribute the fragments as gifts, but the
Bribe mechanism is perfect for this, for at least 2 reasons.  As for
pieces that do not get distributed as a result of the Bribe, they will
all be distributed in some manner afterwords, to interested people.  I
realise some of the problems with Trinkets, but they offer other
potentially interesting situations.  I'd rather try something than
not try something :)

And so that this is not a Null proposal, I might as well get another
Automatic Sculpture for another Treasure Hunt someday.  Remember, I
don't profit from these things:]

An Automatic Sculpture is created and transferred to Malenkai.
}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:51:43 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1687

Proposal 1687
Giving Ghost a More Thorough Rewrite
Guy Fawkes

Create a new rule with text as follows. 

{{ The rules for Ghost, a Game on the Games and Contests Page, shall 
be replaced by the below text, delineated by the :) symbols 

:)
1. Equipment: none 

2. Players: minimum -- 2; maximum -- the number of active players 
when an instance of Ghost is initiated; Referees -- one 

When the rules specify that a player is removed from the game, it means that 
he is no longer a player it that instance of ghost.  It is not 
necessarily a resignation, although a resignation does cause a player's 
removal from the game.  

3. Beginning of game
An instance of ghost begins upon the referee sending the GamesMaster a 
message expressing the intent to start a game of Ghost and listing the players 
who will begin the game, and the GamesMaster publically announcing the
start of the game or as directed by other rules. 

4. Rules
The referee shall randomly assign each player a different integer ranging from 
1 to N, where N is the number of players in the game. Player 1 shall play 
first, and after that, play shall proceed in order of increasing number.
Player 1 plays again just after the turn of the player with the highest number. 
Each player's turn begins when the previous player's ends, unless that 
player's play was a protest, in which case it begins when the protest is
resolved. Each player's turn shall last the lesser of three days or 
until that player plays. 

At any time prior to the first turn of the player assigned the highest number, 
players may be added to the game.  One wishing to be added to the game 
should inform the referee of their desire to do so; the referee shall then
inform all current players of the addition. The new player will be assigned the 
number one greater than the highest number already assigned to a player 
in the game. Before the beginning of the new player's first turn, or three days
after their addition, whichever comes first, the new player may be removed 
from the game if any player already in the game protests their addition. 
Players may not be added to instances of Ghost being played as a Duel. 

Players in a game of Ghost are forbidden from using dictionaries or other 
reference books to aid their play. They may use these references for 
other purposes. 

In his turn, each player shall do one of the following: (1) begin a 
new ghost word; (2) continue an existing ghost word; (3) protest the 
ghost word; (4) resign. Plays shall be made by sending a message describing 
the play to all players and the referee. 

(1) A player may only begin a new ghost word when there is no existing ghost 
word.  He shall do so by naming any letter of the alphabet.

(2) A player may continue an existing ghost word only when there is 
an existing ghost word. He shall do so by posting a string of letters 
identical to the existing ghost word except for the addition of one 
letter at either the beginning or the end of the ghost word. This string 
then becomes the new ghost word. 

(3) A player who protests the ghost word shall do so by either by stating that 
the ghost word is a word of four or more letters in the official dictionary, 
or by stating that the ghost word cannot be found within any word in the
official dictionary. ("uperso" can be found within "supersonic"; 
"spronc" cannot.) A protest is said to be made against the player whose 
turn caused the ghost word to be changed to its present form. 

When a player protests the ghost word, play is suspended until the 
protest is resolved. If the protest was on the grounds that the ghost 
word is a word of four or more letters in the official dictionary, the referee 
shall attempt to locate it therein and report his findings. If the ghost 
word is a word of four or more letters in the official dictionary,
the protest is valid; otherwise it is invalid. Either way, when the 
referee reports the validity or lack thereof of the protest, it is 
considered resolved; if the protest was valid, the ghost word is destroyed. 

If the protest was on the grounds that the ghost word cannot be 
found within any word in the official dicitonary, the player against whom 
the protest was made has three days to post a word containing the ghost word. 
If he does not, the protest is resolved as valid. If he does, the referee 
shall attempt to locate that word in the official dictionary, and shall 
report his findings. If the named word is a word in the official dictionary, 
the protest is invalid; otherwise, it is valid. Upon the referee 
reporting on the validity or lack thereof of the protest, it is considered
resolved; at the resolution of any protest of this sort, the ghost word 
is destroyed.

A player who makes an invalid protest is removed from the game; a 
player who has a valid protest made against him is removed from the 
game. 

(4) A player who resigns is removed from the game. A player who does 
not make a move within his turn is assumed to have resigned.  When a 
player resigns, the ghost word is destroyed.

A player may remove themselves from an instance of the game at any 
time by posting a message to that effect. If it was their turn, they are 
assumed to have resigned. If they leave Ackanomic, they are assumed to have 
posted such a message. 

5. Winning
If exactly one player remains in the game, that player wins. There 
are no other winning conditions. 

When a winner is found, the referee shall receive 8 A$. If this game 
took place as a Duel, the winner shall receive no additional 
compensation. If it was not a Duel and fewer than four players began the game, 
the winner receives four points. If from four to eight players began the 
game, the winner receives points equal to the number of players that 
began the game. If more than eight players began the game, the winner receives 
8 points. 

6. The Referee
Upon request, the referee must provide the following information: the players 
in the game and their order of play, whose turn it is, the current ghost 
word, and a history of the game in progress. He may, but is not required to,
keep a web page with this information. 

If the referee resigns his position, goes on vacation, or leaves the 
game of Ackanomic, he is no longer the referee.  In this event, any player 
of Ackanomic who is not a player of that instance of Ghost may become referee 
by publically expressing his desire to do so. While there is no 
referee, the game is suspended.
:)
}} 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:51:07 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka 

> >   I am creating a trinket known as "The Five Hundred Misplaced
> > Ackapennies".
>
> Trinkets are required to have descriptions.

  Still buzzing from reading the entire ruleset... let's have another go at it:
  I am creating a trinket known as "The Five Hundred Misplaced
Ackapennies", using the A$5 that I just got from Jammer.

>>>>START DESCRIPTION>>>>
  It appears to be a great many small discs of some shiny metal, in a loose
pile.
  Any ackapennie from the pile is approximately half an ackinch across, and
made of gumshoe or some similar metal.  On the front of each is stamped a
picture of the Golden Frog, surrounded by the words "In Harf We Trust * 1
raeY - 0 raeY *" (so that the words "Year 0 - Year 1" appear forwards).  On
the other side is stamped an image of the realm of Acka in all it's
circular glory.
  In addition, each Ackapennie has a unique serial number; the numbers
assigned are consecutive primes, starting from 57, which is a prime as far
as the Ackapennies know :).
  A bit of experimentation will reveal that it is possible to separate
groups of Ackapennies with consecutive serial numbers from the pile, in
groups of 100.  If this is done, the following things occur:
  1.  This trinket is destroyed.
  2.  The Ackapennies which constituted it/them are broken up into groups which
    are of size 100, by any means which is desired by the player performing the
    action of separation.
  3.  New trinkets, one for each group formed in the previous step, and composed
    of the Ackapennies contained in that group, are created.
       A.  These trinkets shall each have a value of A$1 for every hundred
         Ackapennies which they consist of.
       B.  There are no formal guidelines for the names of these trinkets; the
         names may be whatever desired as long as they unambiguously specify the
         Ackapennies composing the trinkets (the form "Those of the Five Hundred
         Misplaced Ackapennies numbered from 57 to xxx, as well as those
         numbered 89, 171, and 97" is suggested but not required).  These
         trinkets will have an appearance similar to that of the original "The
         Five Hundred Misplaced Ackapennies", and will be separable in the same
         fashion.
       C.  It shall be possible to merge these trinkets together.  This shall
         occur in the following fashion:
           I.  The trinkets being merged shall be destroyed.
          II.  If the mergence reunites all trinkets separated per this system,
             a trinket with a value of A$5 shall be created, with a name of "The
             Five Hundred Misplaced Ackapennies", and a description identical to
             the whole of this description.
         III.  If the condition in II, above, is not met, procedures 2 and 3 in
             this description shall be followed (in that order).
       D.  At any time, such a trinket may be renamed to another name which
         satisfies the conditions in B, above.

  Any attempt to separate the pennies into groups of denominitions which
are not of 100 is met with the discovery that the pennies are apparantly
welded together, almost as if it was impossible to create units smaller
than one Ackadollar.
<<<<END DESCRIPTION<<<<

  If you argue that this is illegal - that is, that trinkets cannot
manipulate themselves - I refer you to Malenkai's (I think it was his)
chest, which can contain other entities and cannot be opened without the
appropriate key.

  That do it?

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #485
*******************************