Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #471
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, January 22 1997      Volume 01 : Number 471

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:57:03 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Drink 

  OK, here's another one...
  I request a plain, ordinary glass of white wine (any variety), which has
been permitted to rest for two days longer than it has been since the first
creation of wine, and has never had anything but zero relative temporal
motion to anything.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:05:02 -0600
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: *ping* 

Today is Wednesday, the 22nd day of January, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 9 times. 

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:05:22 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

>  OK, here's another one...
>  I request a plain, ordinary glass of white wine (any variety), which has
>been permitted to rest for two days longer than it has been since the first
>creation of wine, and has never had anything but zero relative temporal
>motion to anything.

We could borrow a page from the champagne argument (yes I'm a purist about
that) and say there is this old tribe (gnomish tribe) that now calls it's
ancients drinks white wine even though they are not really.   :)

Calvin N Hobbes
waiting for his drink, getting his flower necklace and tropic weather ready

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:08:31 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > > > For once I don't use the long form to create a rule and this is what
> > > > happens.
> 	I wish I could retract that.  I didn't read it right.  :o(
> 	I would like to apologize to Niccolo Flychuck for being so hasty, 
> and to Malenkai for all the work I just created.  :o(
> 
> --Mohammed
> repentant
>
I accept ths apology. Since I can't retract my Politeness Mon ither, I'm
gonna change my vote on it, and ask all other players to consider
Mohammed's posting  when voting on Hearing 103.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:09:08 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hearing 103

I'd like to change my vote to 
"Yes, he was polite".

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > There's an entire tradition and culture behind a statement of the sort I
> > made, which is an obvious criticism on myself. I think Mohammed's
> > statement is very rude and I am calling a Politeness Moon on Mohammed for
> > _that_ statement.
> 
> Hearing 103 - Politeness Moon vs Mohammed.  The responses are:
> 
> "Yes, it was polite."
> "No, it was not polite."
> 
> Vote by replying to this post.
> 
> Count Tabula
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:12:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Primes

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> 1) Would someone please volunteer as a prime number harfer and
> check the passed proposal numbers for primeness?  I wonder if the
> bot could do this automatically in the future.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
There are prime numbers lists available on the web. 
I suppose a bot could use one of those.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:09:28 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

> We could borrow a page from the champagne argument (yes I'm a purist about
> that) and say there is this old tribe (gnomish tribe) that now calls it's
> ancients drinks white wine even though they are not really.   :)

  Don't try to pawn off that fake stuff on me - I specifically requested
"white wine", not "something called white wine" :).  Oh, yes, have I
mentioned my next CFJ?  Duck, everyone!

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:11:57 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Primes 

> There are prime numbers lists available on the web.
> I suppose a bot could use one of those.

  In fact (stupid me), there's a link to one of them from the Acka page,
already!

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:16:26 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hearing 103

>I'd like to change my vote to 
>"Yes, he was polite".
>
>Niccolo Flychuck

Ooooooooooooh! Isn't that another case of snowgod's disease?   :)
It is! It is!

I call a Public Health Emergency on my esteemed friend and president,
Niccolo Flychuck if and only if (yes oh yes) he has not already had one such
thing called against him this calendar month.

Calvin N Hobbes
just plain silly hopefully

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:17:42 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out

Uri Bruck wrote:

> I accept ths apology. Since I can't retract my Politeness Mon ither, I'm
> gonna change my vote on it, and ask all other players to consider
> Mohammed's posting  when voting on Hearing 103.

Although I respect your sentiments, please don't change votes on
these things.

Malenkai
STRESSED OUT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:19:04 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

>> We could borrow a page from the champagne argument (yes I'm a purist about
>> that) and say there is this old tribe (gnomish tribe) that now calls it's
>> ancients drinks white wine even though they are not really.   :)
>
>  Don't try to pawn off that fake stuff on me - I specifically requested
>"white wine", not "something called white wine" :).  Oh, yes, have I
>mentioned my next CFJ?  Duck, everyone!

He he he. [imagine that was Cuthulu laughing]
So I take it you are a champagne purist as well?

And I am now looking forward to that CFJ. C'mon, gives'a hint?

Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:20:34 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out 

>Malenkai
>STRESSED OUT

Oops. I guess I won't call that snowgod's disease thing after all then.

Calvin N Hobbes
biting his fingers to blood

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:18:56 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

> He he he. [imagine that was Cuthulu laughing]
> So I take it you are a champagne purist as well?

  Indeed.

> And I am now looking forward to that CFJ. C'mon, gives'a hint?

  OK.  I'm fairly sure it's valid.  It concerns CFJs.
  That might be a bit too much of a hint.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:22:44 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

For those players who play this game only during the day from an
account at work, its time to start showing some restraint on
bandwidth usage, at least until alternate mailing lists are established.

thx
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:21:13 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out 

> >Malenkai
> >STRESSED OUT
>
> Oops. I guess I won't call that snowgod's disease thing after all then.

  I hereby jump back in time five minutes and tell myself not to call that
Politeness Moon.  Or, if possible, instead I simply retract it.
  (I don't recall time-travel being regulated anywhere - does that mean
it's _legal_? - nothing to do w/ my CFJ)

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:25:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out

T Joffrain wrote:
> 
> >Malenkai
> >STRESSED OUT
> 
> Oops. I guess I won't call that snowgod's disease thing after all then.

The snowgod's hearing on Niccolo was illegal.  I would have posted it
were it not.  Changing votes on hearings is pushing the envelope
after 200 or so messages, though.  Perhaps that bandwidth could be
used to change the rules to allow retraction of hearings instead.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:26:05 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

>  OK.  I'm fairly sure it's valid.  It concerns CFJs.
>  That might be a bit too much of a hint.

A CFJ making CFJs invalid? That would be very cool.

CnH
knowing that just using his initials saves 13 bytes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:27:46 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  stressed out 

>The snowgod's hearing on Niccolo was illegal.  I would have posted it
>were it not.  Changing votes on hearings is pushing the envelope
>after 200 or so messages, though.  Perhaps that bandwidth could be
>used to change the rules to allow retraction of hearings instead.

Very wise. I'm on it.

CnH
repentant like someone else once was

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:28:41 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Schemes,  Scams and Skulduggery

I think I know what Malenkai is up to,  but by the time I get home and check the full Ruleset in my archive, it'll probably be too late.  :)

Good luck,  Malenkai

HC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:15:45 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Official

Due to personal travel,  and the uncertainty of checking into the list
regularly,  I hereby Place my self on vacation starting two hours after this message is posted to the public forum.  The expected duration of my
vacation is two weeks.

How do you like that,  I get a Tuba,  win the Cycle,  and now take a
vacation.

Habeous Corpus
In need of a looooong rest when this trip is over.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:11:48 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Fat Lady

Sorry to be late,  but I just got to read my backlog,  and found out that
I WON!  Not bad for submitting less than twenty proposals since starting
this game.

Ain't those Whamiols wonderful.  Now that they have proven themselves,  and with the  recent upsurge in new Players,  I think I will be auctioning
off one of them;  I want to keep the other as a keepsake.

Due to some personal problems,  I will not be able to host this auction. 
I would like Niccolo Flychuck to act as Chief Cheese in my place.  If e
is unable to do so,  Malenkai,  as the Officer in Charge of Random things may choose a chief cheese.

My other post will explain.  No acknowledgement on my part is required to
choose a Chief Cheese or hold the Auction.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:28:03 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

At 12:26 AM on 1/22/97, T Joffrain wrote:

> >  OK.  I'm fairly sure it's valid.  It concerns CFJs.
> >  That might be a bit too much of a hint.
>
> A CFJ making CFJs invalid? That would be very cool.

  Thank you - you just gave me an idea: "The truth/validity of this CFJ
cannot be determined"...  there's all sorts of such things.  But that
wasn't quite what I meant.  It should be showing up on the list soon now,
as I've already sent it to Malenkai.  All these hearings probably delayed
it :(.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:35:14 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

>  Thank you - you just gave me an idea: "The truth/validity of this CFJ
>cannot be determined"...  there's all sorts of such things.  But that
>wasn't quite what I meant.  It should be showing up on the list soon now,
>as I've already sent it to Malenkai.  All these hearings probably delayed
>it :(.

Hey, I want acknowledgement in the CFJ text!   :)

Calvin N Hobbes
having just sent upgrade 1.1 for R360 hearings

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:36:02 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Due to personal travel,  and the uncertainty of checking into the list
> regularly,  I hereby Place my self on vacation starting two hours after
> this message is posted to the public forum.  The expected duration of my
> vacation is two weeks.

I am appointing snowgod acting senator effective the time of this
vacation.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:41:11 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: CFJ 333 (snowgod)

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Dan Knapp wrote:
> 
> But, if anything, I'd say that as things stand now, most likely the
> President's speech is just plain illegal.  (Of course, nothing's stopping
> him from making a speech for no particularreason...)
> 
> -Red Barn
> 
> 
And I sometimes do :)

It apperas that I have three speeches to make, and of them may not be
legal. All in good time. It also appears that an Otzma Day started.

Oh, well. 

I know that at least one player already figured out that one of the
conditions for the only Treasure I buried so far is to be the  The author
of at least one G & C proposal which has been accepted, and
is suitable to be used in a Duel.

Mind you, there are other parts to the map.

Since this is Ackanomic's birthday, I have decided to make the entire map
visible for the a day or so. It is placed inthe same directory where the
player's list used to be when I was Registrar
http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/acka/

The name of the file is something I leave to other postings.
I'll only say that you can probably trace it back from the name of the
Treasure.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:36:30 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

At 12:35 AM on 1/22/97, T Joffrain wrote:

> >  Thank you - you just gave me an idea: "The truth/validity of this CFJ
> >cannot be determined"...  there's all sorts of such things.  But that
> >wasn't quite what I meant.  It should be showing up on the list soon now,
> >as I've already sent it to Malenkai.  All these hearings probably delayed
> >it :(.
>
> Hey, I want acknowledgement in the CFJ text!   :)

  But it doesn't show that some action I could perform would be both legal
and illegal.  Perhaps "The truth/validity... AND it is illegal for me to
..."?  No, doesn't work.  Oh, well, it was a good, silly idea, anyway.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:47:24 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Happy Birthday Ackanomic (ackazen Flychuck)

I'd like to wish Ackanomic a Happy Birthday, I make this wish as a player,
and this posting is not to be construed as a Presidential Speech.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:27:52 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

>  OK, here's another one...
>  I request a plain, ordinary glass of white wine (any variety), which has
>been permitted to rest for two days longer than it has been since the first
>creation of wine, and has never had anything but zero relative temporal
>motion to anything.
>
>-Red Barn

Your drink will be ready in two days sir, assuming that the Public
Gathering hasn't ended by then.  Would you  care to have some muchies while
you are waiting? Actually, I will be quite content to give it to you in two
days even if the gathering had ended, but frinking it may be illegal.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:21:57 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Public Gatherings 

>>> I'll be happy to take your order.
>
>I'll have half a dozen Papay Roses of Tahiti crushed and brewed to 15%
>alcohol in a 40-60 mix of sour and sweet coconut cream, all matured for 20
>years in palm tree containers. Served in a chilled glass with just a few ice
>crushing, of course.
>
>Calvin N Hobbes

You have ordered my specialty, sir.  I make a wonderul Palm Tahiti Rose.
As a matter of fact, I have a batch that is ready to be removed from their
palm trees right now.

There you go sir, would you like any munchies with that?

snowgod
bartender

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:45:29 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Gatherings

> Near is I can figure, we are still in a Public Gathering at which
frinking
> is allowed, and I am the bartender.  Malenkai and Strider have both
> partaken, though neither have partaken anywhere near their maximum.  I
urge
> each of you to sit back, relax, and enjoy this happy bee day with a fine
> beverage from the Frobozz magic Beverage Company, Ackanomic Division.
> 
> I'll be happy to take your order.
> 
> snowgod
> 
I was tempted to ask for a virgin Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, but I'm 
afraid of what that'd lead to.  Instead, I'll have a decolation prepared
infusing the pulped fruit of a Bolag tree with Razzleberries, served at
32.00045 degrees Farenhiet.

Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:49:39 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: M:TG 

  I'm suddenly reminded, looking through all these rules, all containing
clauses like "takes precedence over rule xxxx", of the early days of the
"Magic: The Gathering" card game.  Specifically, of the rule conflicts.
Specifically, of the case with "Protect land" and "Stone rain", where the
one says it protects a land from being destroyed, and the other says it
destroys a land.  The problem is, there's nothing to establish precedence!
So, neither one does much...

  If anyone can figure out where I'm going with this, congradulations.  I
would like to say more, but I've decided it might prove lucrative to hang
on to this realization a while...

- -Red Barn
Ending in ellipses...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:52:29 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (Red Barn) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Gatherings 

> I was tempted to ask for a virgin Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, but I'm
> afraid of what that'd lead to.  Instead, I'll have a decolation prepared
> infusing the pulped fruit of a Bolag tree with Razzleberries, served at
> 32.00045 degrees Farenhiet.

  Heh.  Good one.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:59:53 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Gatherings 

>> I'll be happy to take your order.

>I was tempted to ask for a virgin Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, but I'm
>afraid of what that'd lead to.  Instead, I'll have a decolation prepared
>infusing the pulped fruit of a Bolag tree with Razzleberries, served at
>32.00045 degrees Farenhiet.
>
>Jammer

Tasty sir, one of my favorites actually.  If you'll wait just a second, my
helper will be here with some freshly cut Bolag fruit.  The Razzleberries
are already in the blender.

Oh here he is now, enjoy your delicious chilled drink.

And would you like some munchies with that?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:56:12 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink 

> Your drink will be ready in two days sir, assuming that the Public
> Gathering hasn't ended by then.  Would you  care to have some muchies while
> you are waiting? Actually, I will be quite content to give it to you in two
> days even if the gathering had ended, but frinking it may be illegal.
>
> snowgod

  Nothin' doin'.  I said "has been", as in "has been" at the time of that
posting.  Good try, though.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:55:20 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Re: Acka: M:TG, instpiring some very random thoughts

...
> 
> -Red Barn
> Ending in ellipses...
> 
It is a tragic fate when someone ends up 
in a conic Section

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 02:01:15 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: M:TG, instpiring some very random thoughts 

At 10:55 PM on 1/21/97, John Martin Lotz wrote:

> ...
> >
> > -Red Barn
> > Ending in ellipses...
> >
> It is a tragic fate when someone ends up
> in a conic Section

  OK, then,...  Well, what do you know?  The two words are spelled the same
way!  Sheesh, can't a guy just trail off anymore...

- -Red Bar...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:21:30 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fat Lady

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> Sorry to be late,  but I just got to read my backlog,  and found out that
> I WON!  Not bad for submitting less than twenty proposals since starting
> this game.
> 
> Ain't those Whamiols wonderful.  Now that they have proven themselves,  and with the  recentupsurge in new Players,  I think I will be auctioning
> off one of them;  I want to keep the other as a keepsake.
> 
> Due to some personal problems,  I will not be able to host this auction. 
> I would like Niccolo Flychuck to act as Chief Cheese in my place.  If e
> is unable to do so,  Malenkai,  as the Officer in Charge of Random things may choose a chief cheese.

No problem, I can hold the Auction, do you have a prefference for the type
of Auction?

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> My other post will explain.  No acknowledgement on my part is required to
> choose a Chief Cheese or hold the Auction.
> 
> Habeous Corpus
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:25:11 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Birthday Greetings From snowgod 

On this, the first of many Happy Bee Days, I would like to wish Ackanomic a
Happy birthday, and thank her, and her players for entertaining me over the
course of the last eight months.

May Acka prosper in her second year as she has in her first.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:29:50 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: All this chaos

With all this chason I think we need a breather.
Due to the sudden surge in activity, I hope the citizens of acka will not
object to the following anouncement:

 I am declaring that an Official Holiday will start at January 23 at 23:59
with a duration of 48 hours.

This should allow us to catch our collective breaths.

Before Red Barn joined I thought I was the one who filled everyone's
mailboxes to capacity.

The reason for this Holiday is that too many things are going on at once.  
Over work has been piled up on soem Officers. 
I don't want Ackanomic to crash for those reasons. In fact, I think we
need some major work reducing reforms, the current situaion in Ackanomic
is that is a small number of players without whose work it would probably
crash.

Niccolo Flychuck
concerned President

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 02:24:54 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (Red Barn) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Happy Bee Day 

  Well, it's Wednesday the 22nd of January.  Today Ackanomic is precisely
366 days old, since 1996 was a leap year.  Also, in about fourteen hours, I
will have been playing for precisely 6 days.  Well, 1/61st isn't bad. :)

  Happy Birthday, Ackanomic.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:06:27 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  What? 

dhu'l-qa`dah

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:14:25 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: So? 

Qatar

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:06:52 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Birthday Greeting 

Happy Birthday Ackanomic!

Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:11:25 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fat Lady

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Sorry to be late,  but I just got to read my backlog,  and found out that
> > I WON!  Not bad for submitting less than twenty proposals since starting
> > this game.
> >
> > Ain't those Whamiols wonderful.  Now that they have proven themselves,  and with the  recentupsurge in new Players,  I think I will be auctioning
> > off one of them;  I want to keep the other as a keepsake.
> >
> > Due to some personal problems,  I will not be able to host this auction.
> > I would like Niccolo Flychuck to act as Chief Cheese in my place.  If e
> > is unable to do so,  Malenkai,  as the Officer in Charge of Random things may choose a chief cheese.
> 
> No problem, I can hold the Auction, do you have a prefference for the type
> of Auction?

This auction has not been called in accordance with the procedure
detailed in R 516 (attempting to assign auctioneer duty to someone
else).  Auctions are actions, and R 101 requires that actions be
performed as specified in the rules.  This attempted assignment of
duties to someone else is an impossible action, a crime, and does not
occur, by R 713.

Malenkai
please don't bid

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:18:40 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official Again

Please show some restraint.  If the President must declare a holiday
so the functional officers can catch up on the work to run this game,
it should be saying something to someone.   I spent 4 hours last 
night just doing *work* for this game, and I have still not completed
it all.  While others may have this sort of time to dedicate to this
game, and that is fine, I do not.  As for "why don't you resign", most
of the jobs I do were done incorrectly before I started doing them.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but that is reality.

The functional officers like to play this game too, and they are not
being payed big bucks by Microsoft or anyone else to run it.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:43:31 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Big Awards ceremony

>
>Before a crowd of tens of Ackanomians, I first present Mohammed with
>his second Silver Stripe.  But then comes the main event, something
>the elders once thought would never happen, on this, the last day of the
>first year of Ackanomic's existence.  Malenkai steps up on stage,
>surrenders his collection of Gold and Silver Stripes, and in their
>place, I award him a Ruby Slipper.
>
>All hail the first ever Commander of the Blue Cross, 4 time winner of
>Ackanomic, the architect of Ackanomic's win of the first cycle of
>Internomic, author of 180 accepted proposals, MALENKAI!
>

Mal-en-KAI!  Mal-en-KAI!  Mal-en-KAI!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:27:26 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Gatherings

> I'll be happy to take your order.
> 
> snowgod

I'm beginning to think that the IRC is the perfect place for a bar.

Lestrade
wading through 20+ drinking messages the morning after

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:22:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Presidential- BANDWIDTH crisis

Citizens of Ackanomic,
On the last few days the Ackanomic mailing list has been flooded with
postings.  Hearings were called on the least bit of non-provocation, and
at one point even I, your President, called a Hearing, simply because the
Politeness Moon lends itself to exactly that kind of abuse, and I never
had a chance before to demonstrate it. In normal times, such an action
might hace been considered fun. At the present time, I should have delayed
for a second longer, and perhaps pass on this one. 

I ask of you no more that I ask now of myself. Before you hit that send
button, stop for a moment and think - is this post necessary, is this
action really needed, is this important enough to create more work for
Functional Officers who work their fingers off so that all of us could
enjoy the game.

There is a small number of players here who do a humungous amount of work,
and have no time left to enjoy the game. Malenkai and /dev/joe are two
examples of this.  

Ackanomic is one year old now. There are many nomics who crash long before
one year is over, and I consider the fact that we've come this far quite
an achievment. Let us not spoil this now.

For the next few days most of my posts to the main mailing list will be of
an official nature. 

Any player is invited to my house to chat over a cup of tea.

Niccolo Flychuck
President

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:38:12 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: electronically disenfranchised

Since my return from vacation, I have voted for proposals 1621-1648, and 
I have submitted two proposals.  All this was done on Monday.  Acrobot has 
ignored me on all counts.  Mohammed, do you have any idea what is going on?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:50:36 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Internomic: If there were paradoxes we'd win again.

>> >
>> >This has a real chance of becoming a permanently unresolveable question.
>> >Perhaps we can put our heads together and avoid this?
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >-- elJefe, Agoran Liaison
>> >
>It seems the wisdom of Pheobe that I reported was not all that bogus. 
> Perhaps everyone has rushed to judgement.
>

But some believe such unresolvable questions are what makes this
interesting.  If it were up to me, we'd put our heads together and make
sure it happens again. :)

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:16:43 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Gatherings

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, snowgod wrote:

>
>I'll be happy to take your order.
>

I'll have a spring water - the most pretentious you have.  Cheers
Ackanomians, and Happy Birthday Ackanomic!

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:34:36 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: All this chaos

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

[snip]

>the current situaion in Ackanomic
>is that is a small number of players without whose work it would probably
>crash.

Indeed.  I'm very grateful to them, while wondering (once again) how they
find the time.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:38:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Part I has arrived

Citizens of Ackanomic:

First off, I would like to offer my congratulations to Malenkai for
his well-earned attainment of a Ruby Slipper. I would also like to
wish everyone a wonderful time here, at Ackanomic's first anniversary
celebration. Now, on to business:

Part I of Ackanomic's Official History is completed. (Well, actually,
the first draft is completed - it is still in need of more markup.)
This document covers the first six months of Ackanomic's history, up
to July 22, 1996. The URL is:

        http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/history.html

(/dev/joe, will you please make a link to this from the main Ackanomic
web page?)

Might I be so presumtuous as to suggest that reading about our early
history would make a fine way to spend some time during our
anniversary?

I wish to formally apologize that this was so long in coming. (In
fact, I may have been in violation of Speed ... yeesh.) But hey, there
was a hell of a lot to cover. I gotta say, you people sure do talk a
lot. Bandwidth is NOT a new problem in this game! The Ackanomic
archives for June and July are over a megabyte AFTER compression.

I will be continuing my efforts, and I hope that Part II, and the full
marking-up of both, will occur in the near future. Followed by my
other duties.... I also acknowledge that in a document this size,
describing events for which I was not present, is bound to contain
flaws. I encourage all of you to send me information regarding
omissions and errors.

Enjoy, all.

breadbox
your humble historian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:52:31 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Public Gatherings

>
>Near is I can figure, we are still in a Public Gathering at which frinking
>is allowed, and I am the bartender.  Malenkai and Strider have both
>partaken, though neither have partaken anywhere near their maximum.  I urge
>each of you to sit back, relax, and enjoy this happy bee day with a fine
>beverage from the Frobozz magic Beverage Company, Ackanomic Division.
>
>I'll be happy to take your order.

Mr. Bartender,

I am feeling rather moderate today, so I will stick to delicious
FrobozzCo Cola (the real sugar, real caffeine variety).  I do feel
a _bit_ daring, however, so -- what the heck -- make it a double.

ThinMan
:^)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:46:44 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Official Again 

> Please show some restraint.  If the President must declare a holiday
> so the functional officers can catch up on the work to run this game,
> it should be saying something to someone.   I spent 4 hours last
> night just doing *work* for this game, and I have still not completed
> ...

  Sounds like we need another mail robot to tabulate votes.  That still
leaves web pages to update, but it's a start.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:06:36 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Birthday

I wish Ackanomic the happiest and harfiest of birthdays.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:11:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Public Gatherings

> Near is I can figure, we are still in a Public Gathering at which frinking
> is allowed, and I am the bartender.  Malenkai and Strider have both
> partaken, though neither have partaken anywhere near their maximum.  I urge
> each of you to sit back, relax, and enjoy this happy bee day with a fine
> beverage from the Frobozz magic Beverage Company, Ackanomic Division.
> 
> I'll be happy to take your order.

May I have two large root beers?

Oh yes, and a bowl of warm water - for soaking my hands in.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:18:52 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  stressed out

Red Barn wrote:

>  I hereby jump back in time five minutes and tell myself not to call that
>Politeness Moon.  Or, if possible, instead I simply retract it.
>  (I don't recall time-travel being regulated anywhere - does that mean
>it's _legal_? - nothing to do w/ my CFJ)

Time travel itself is nowhere forbidden in the rules, so to the extent
that it does not affect the game state, it is legal.  Whether it is,
in fact, _possible_ is an entirely different question, however.  I
would have to say that players retroactively changing actions, by
time travel or any other method, is at least contrary to the spirit
of the game.

Also, as I distinctly remember Red Barn calling the Politeness Moon
in question, it appears that either his time travel experiment was
a failure or he didn't listen to himself.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:14:02 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Ackabirthday

And many more.

Jammer
who has decided not to wast bandwidth
by ...
John-Martin Lotz
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:20:22 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Birthday

Happy Birthday to Ackanomic, my favorite wa... er, use of time!  May she 
see as many birthdays as there are floors in the Gaol (was there ever a 
consensus on that?)

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:23:37 -0500
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  stressed out 

> Time travel itself is nowhere forbidden in the rules, so to the extent
> that it does not affect the game state, it is legal.  Whether it is,
> in fact, _possible_ is an entirely different question, however.  I
> would have to say that players retroactively changing actions, by
> time travel or any other method, is at least contrary to the spirit
> of the game.
>
> Also, as I distinctly remember Red Barn calling the Politeness Moon
> in question, it appears that either his time travel experiment was
> a failure or he didn't listen to himself.

  Hate it when that happens.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:31:28 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Birthday

Happy Birthday

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:33:09 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Undead

3) The undead's of all dead players will gather at the house of one
unluckly player and cheer as one of them kisses him.  This player will be
randomly selected from a list of players who have not publically wished
happy birthday greetings to ackanomic.

The undead congregate at fnord's house.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:49:29 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Moses Rojas)
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (mentor: mr cwm)

The "web tv games pages" is more or less an intra-webtv mailing list. It
was "founded" because webtv's limitations make it impossible to play
most games available on the internet (namely games requiring download of
any kind, and simulation games w/ required common software). It's
available to web tvers only but is hardly interesting to those possesing
PCs/MACs...
- -E

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:55:04 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Moses Rojas)
Subject: Re: Acka: Drink

Ok here's one...

i) thats not wine its vinegar
ii) impossible.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:57:35 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official Again

Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) wrote:

>   Sounds like we need another mail robot to tabulate votes.  That still
> leaves web pages to update, but it's a start.

First of all, tabulation of hearing votes is a tiny fraction of the work
that has been created recently.  Then, to the general point...

I'd prefer to rely on restraint and common sense rather than technology.
The last time our technology we relied on left the game (it has happened
at least twice), we were in bad shape for a while.

Some of us know what happened to Nomic World, which crashed with the
server that ran it.  The more functionality we build on top of
technology, the more we stand to lose when the person or server that
runs that technology goes away.  That would be a sad way for a nomic
to crash.  

While I certainly do not oppose using technology to automate
parts of the game, I still aim to keep the game playable in the absence
of that technology, thus I strive for solutions that do not require
it over ones that do.  Besides, for the most part, I enjoy the pencil
and paper feel to doing my tasks.  Its just at these times when I'm
overloaded, I have to vent a little :).  I am also not
the only player who has asked for voluntary restraint.

Since the nth witchhunts and the nth politeness moons and attempted
hearings by people who did not take the time to read the rules; who
figured Malenkai would take the time to read them instead, really added
little value, IMHO, I would prefer to address these sorts of things on
a social level, not a technological one.

Nomic is a game about following the rules.  That means alot to me.
Everyone makes mistakes, but it seems to me that you're missing the point
of the game if you don't bother to make sure your action follows the 
rules before doing it.  I don't like to sit here and monitor whether
people are following the rules, but I believe any game state of nomic
that goes into a rule violation is "bad nomic karma" if you will. :)

During the great e-mail blizzard of april, Robert Sevin made a similar
appeal.  After that, e-mail volume dropped to nil until someone spoke
up asking for more.  I'm not saying go to that extreme either, but the
game is much more complex now than it was then.  All I ask is: everything
in moderation.

Malenkai
part of the problem

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #471
*******************************