Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #451
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, January 13 1997       Volume 01 : Number 451

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:12:32 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

I choose definition 5:
> 5. To wander.

/dev/joe
Bluffer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:15:49 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Synod?

Do any of the churches hold Synod seats?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:15:24 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Senate Vote

The senate has voted YES unanimously on Internomic proposal 320.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:22:51 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Synod?

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> Do any of the churches hold Synod seats?
> 
> --Mohammed
>
Currently there is exactly one Church. While it would be legal for it to
hold a Synod seat, the Synod would not be in session until there are three
such seats. So, until there are more Churches, I don't see much incentive.
(unless dibs could be counted)

Niccolo Flychuck 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:10:25 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic news 

In a move Reminiscant of our own CFJ 113, Ackanomic has claime3d to change
it's internomic score to 100 points, hence winning the game.  We have
submitted a CFJ to back up our claim which should be distributed shortly.

Note that Internomic R114 only allows for all actions that are not
prohibited by another rule, with the exception of change=ing the rules,
which can only be done as specified.  It makes no mention of "regulation"

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 18:22:53 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1626

Proposal 1626
Ackanomic Dixieland Jazz Quartet
Strider

        Create two tradeable, gift entities.  One shall be known as the
Cornet
of Ackanomia and shall be initially possessed by the player whose score
is the closest to the average of all players scores.  If there is a tie,
the initial recipient shall be determined by the Officer in Charge of
Random Things.  The other entity is the Unholy Clarinet, which shall be
initially possessed by the person with the highest score who is not a
member of a church.  If there is a tie, the initial recipient shall be
determined by the officer in charge of random things.  Members of
churches may not possess the Unholy Clarinet, and must refer to it as
the Toothpick.  Church members are permitted to publicly ridicule the
Clarinet's owner about the Clarinet.  Church members are exempt from the
Politeness Moon in doing so.

        On the twenty-third day of each month, the Ackanomic Dixieland
Jazz
Quartet, consisting of the owners of The Great Trombone of Ackanomia,
The Magic Tuba, the Cornet of Ackanomia, and the Unholy Clarinet,
hereafter collectively referred to as owners, must post thet they are
going to Party Hall to perform. If all of the owners attend, and if all
four of the instruments are played, the each owner shall receive A$25
from the Treasury for each instrument e owns. A Player may perform on
one instrument for each head e has.  If all owners do not attend, and/or
if all instruments are not played, each owner must pay a fine of A$25 to
the Treasury for each instrument e owns, or publicly post an apology, in
the form of a poem of at least four lines.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:25:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Processing Chips

p1594 +4 Malenkai

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:44:07 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Robert Sevin)

Jan 12 19:42 EST: -3 Jammer: did not report what Phoebe said

Phoebe's matchbox has been found by Robert Sevin.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:02:59 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1627

Proposal 1627
Tweaking Silly Vacation Hats
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend the rule created by proposal 937, "Silly Vacation Hat", to
replace ""on vacation"" in the second paragraph with "on a voluntarily
activated vacation".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 18:16:26 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I am going on vacation for 5 days

Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:38:31 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GM auction

snowgod has won the Grav.  Monopole auction for A$76.

Chief Cheese
snowgod -76 +gm

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 21:54:04 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1628

Proposal 1628
Miscellaneous Fixes.
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

I. Words in quotes the Bee can't touch:

1. In Rule 670, change "Comission" (in quotes) to "Commission".
2. In Rule 843, change "relavent" (in quotes) to "relevent".
3. In the Rule "Games & Contests" (either 1206 or 1201),
   change "exibition" (in quotes) to "exhibition" (section 12).
4. In the Rule "Rama-lama-ding-dong" (either 1349 or 1321),
   change "tounges" (in quotes) to "tongues" (end 1st par.).

II. Grammar errors and little omissions:

5. In the Rule "Swingers Like to Play Around II - Let's  play"
   (either 985.2 or 1230.2), delete "mutables" (section 1).

6. In Rule 408, change "A privilege of the Tabulator is to:"
   to "The privileges of the Tabulator are:"
   and insert "To" before "approve" at the start of privilege (a).

7. In Rule 726:
   A. In section III.A.8, insert a comma after the first occurrence of
      "dissolves".
   B. Before "the Swinger's Office becomes a Capital Swinger's Office"
      insert "instead of creating a new Capital Swinger Office, "
   C. Near the beginning of section III.B, insert before the period
      at the end of "Capital Swinger Offices are Tradable." the following:
      ", but may not be traded to anybody who is already a Swinger"

8. In rule 844, change "events to occur:" to
   "events to occur at random, with equal probabilities:"
   {{[ Why didn't anybody tell me I left this out? ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 23:46:49 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Pythoncross and Treasure

My Python program which plays solicross is available for download in
wilma's anonymous FTP area, in the acka directory, with the filename
pcross.tar.gz .  This gzipped tar file contains some data files for
the game and some of my solutions in addition to the game itself.

Also I have a treasure.  I may from time to time announce the highest
score received, if there's enough competition to warrant it.

I am burying the Golden Frinking Straw (value A$100) as a treasure,
with the following map:

The player who sends /dev/joe the highest-scoring valid Pythoncross score
record for the game defined by the Pythoncross data file between the
"---" lines below by February 1 at noon, CST shall find this treasure.
If no valid score records are received by that date, the first player
to send /dev/joe a valid Pythoncross score record shall find the treasure.
Valid score records must follow all the rules of the game, include all the
information requested (see below), and use only words from the second
Official Ackanomic Dictionary (the Marldoom link on the main Ackanomic
web page).
- ---
/dev/joe's Treasure Map Special #1
hrmoetrtisentoplditeimelaezsipeoumkaqehyowbarenamotmestagrsp
2 2 4 3 7 4 6 9
- ---
This means that the string of 60 characters above is the letter list,
that the starting space is in the 2nd column and 2nd row, that there are
blocked squares at the intersections of the 4th column and 3rd row,
the 7th column and 4th row, and the 6th column and 9th row (see (a) below),
and that the traditional scoring grid is used (see (b) below).

.........            555555555
.*....... * = start  544444445
...#.....            543333345
......#.. # = block  543222345
.........            543222345
.........            543222345
.........            543333345
.........            544444445
.....#...            555555555
  (a)                   (b)

The data file is in a form ready to be used with the Python program
pcross.py.  To play Pythoncross by hand, draw out a 9x9 grid and mark
the starting space, the blocked spaces, and the score for each space.
This is your playing board.  Also set up a list of 15 rows, each with
a space for 7 letters (your rack), the score for that play, and the
words formed in that play.  Also copy the letter list so you can mark
letters off of it.

Pythoncross is a game played as follows:

Begin the game by drawing the first seven letters from the letter list
as your first rack, and scratch those off the letter list.  Form a word
of 2 or more letters, and place it in the board so that it reads from
left to right or from top to bottom, with either the first or last
letter on the indicated starting space.  Score points equal to the
sum of the values of the squares this word lies on.

For each play after the first, scratch the letters just played from
your rack, and copy the remaining letters down to the next row.
Fill your rack up to 7 letters by taking the next unused letters from
the letter list.  Now place one or more of these letters on the board
so that a new word is formed that connects in some way with the
letters already on the board.  All letters played in one turn must
be part of a single word; however, additional words may be created
or extended in the direction perpendicular to the main word.

All adjacent groups of letters must spell words from left to right
and from top to bottom.  Diagonal, backward, and upward words and
words within words do not count.  Below are examples of the possible
ways to connect words, with the letters just played in caps.

                v
           m    i       had  tank
carPET   MEaL   n      men   o  n
           n    y     ZANY   PILinG
               SLEET            too

  (1)    (2a)   (2b)    (3)   (4)

1. Extending a word - adding letters before or after (or on both ends of)
a word already on the board.
2. Playing perpendicular to an existing word - such a word may
either cross through a word already on the board (not modifying it),
or pass just by the end of a word, adding a letter to it.
3. Playing parallel to an existing word - such a play always forms or
extends at least one additional word.
4. There may be combinations of the above.

For each play, score the sum of the values all the squares in each
new word you form and each previously existing word you extend,
including those spaces covered by letters played in previous turns.
Sometimes this will mean you score for the same square twice in
a single play.  Above, you would score for CARPET in (1), for MEAL
in (2a), for VINYL and SLEET in (2b), for ZANY, MA, HEN, and ANY
in (3), and for PILING, TOP, and GO in (4).

The game ends after 15 plays have been made.  When the game ends,
there must not be any repeated words on the board (although it is
otherwise fine to repeat words during the game).

If at some point you are unable to form a word, you may dump all
seven letters instead of playing a word.  This counts as one of
your 15 plays.  If you do so, take the next seven letters from
the letter list for your next rack, and lose 25 points.

You may find that you run out of letters to draw from the letter list.
If this happens, you may continue forming words (until you use all
the letters or you run out of turns) but you will not draw any
additional letters.  If at some point you have placed all 60 letters
onto the board, score 50 extra bonus points, and the game ends.
(Note that dumping a rack, as in the previous rule, forfeits any
chance at this bonus, since the letters dumped will never be placed
on the board.)

The minimum information required for a valid score record is the final
board of letters, the total score, and for each play, the location
and direction of the play (location given by the column and row that
the first latter lies in), the word played, and all additional words
formed or modified by that play.  The pcross.py program reports this
information (and more) in a convenient format, and can save it in
a file for you at the end of the game.

Below is a sample output from pcross.py (for a different game),
illustrating the ways words are formed and the information expected
in a game report (D and A stand for Down and Across):

     PYTHONCROSS             -rack-- score
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+      1 LUNAFIX   10  D 3 6 FIX 
1 _ S A L T I N E S 1      2 LUNAFES   26  D 4 7 FUN (IF,XU)
2 P A T I O , # , O 2      3 LAESMIP   27  D 2 2 AMPLE (EF)
3 _ M E T E R . , _ 3      4 SIALTEN   60  A 2 1 SALTINE (SAMPLE)
4 _ P . " " Y . , B 4      5 CABUTEH   25  A 4 9 NATCH 
5 _ L . " # E . K A 5      6 BUEPORC   27  D 1 6 RUB (REF)
6 R E F " " " N E T 6      7 EPOCETI   48  A 1 2 PATIO (AT,LI,TO)
7 U , I F . G U T _ 7      8 ECEYTEH   49  A 2 3 METE (ATE,LIT,TOE)
8 B , X U , O , C # 8      9 CYEHAUK   30  A 1 9 YA (RUBY)
9 Y A _ N A T C H _ 9     10 CEHUKTO   21  D 8 5 KETCH 
+-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-+     11 HUOKTBN   20  D 7 6 NU (NE,UT)
Key: "=2 .=3 ,=4 _=5      12 HOKTBTA   36  D 9 4 BAT (KA,NET)
High Score: 409           13 HOKTSRO   50  D 9 1 SO (SALTINES)
Letter List:              14 HKTROYG   22  D 6 7 GOT (GUT)
LUNAFIXFESMIPALTENCA      15 HKTRYNE   23  D 6 3 RYE (METER)
BUTEHPORCETIYTEHAUKT         ------- ----
OKTBNTASROYGNELIS@MAT        total:   474

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #451
*******************************