Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #447
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, January 11 1997      Volume 01 : Number 447

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 00:05:02 -0600
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: *ping* 

Today is Friday, the 10th day of January, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 2 times. 

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:24:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC newbie packet rewrite

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> [I have attempted to rewrite the newbie packet to make it flow in
> parallel with the rules, assuming Reorg II passes.  It suggested
> another minor reorg, that being put the winning conditions 219-235
> in the low 600s with the end of cycle stuff.
> 
> In anycase, any comments on this as a newbie packet, or do we like
> the current one?
> 
> Malenkai
> ]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Hello, welcome to Ackanomic, a play by email Nomic game.  Nomic games
> are categorized bythe ability of the players to change the rules of
> the game during the normal course of gameplay.
> 
> This letter includes some basic information about Ackanomic.
> 
> Ackanomic has a web page at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/
> It's maintained by /dev/joe and contains links to all ackanomic related
> web-pages. On the web page you will links to the current rule-set.
> 
> ----------
> I.  Mentor
> ----------
> 
> Your mentor is [mentor],([email-masked]).  It is eir job to
> answer any questions you may have about the the game or the rules.
> It is also the Registrar's ([email-masked]) and the Speaker's
> ([email-masked]) to answer any questions you may have, if your mentor
> is unavailable.
> 

The way I usually went about it (after the 'tim' thing) is I sent the
welcome pack inresponse to a person's request to join Ackanomic. At that
time there would be no way to know when they would reply, or whether they
would reply, hence a Mentor can't be assigned then.  
Quite often people decide whether they want to join, partially on the
basis of the information in the welcome pack. So I would ammend that bit.
Explain what a Mentor is, and that they'll get one when they join.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:28:04 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1620

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> Proposal 1620
> Goblin
> Swann
This proposal creates two rules. The first one I'd prefer to see defining
a proposing entity, although it can still be called a proposing thing. If
it was for that alone, I would have proably voted for it, however,  I
dislike the second rule it creates. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 03:43:14 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Internomic Proposals 320 

I am initiating a senate vote on internomic proposal 320, which reads as
below.  It has been proposed by Senator Habeous Corpus.

snowgod

- -----------------------------------------

 ESTABLISH THE INTERNOMIC COURT OF JUSTICE

1.  Definition of terms used in this Rule:
a)  Internomic Court of Justice (Court or InCJ) - Set of procedures and
conventions for rendering
judgments and rulings on questions involving Member Nomics.
b)  Hearing - a formal session of the Court.
c)  Petition - a formal request by a Member Nomic to convene a Hearing.
It usually will contain the
matter to be decided in the Hearing accompanied by arguments supporting a
judgement of FOR and AGAINST,  as well as the E-mail addresses of all
parties submitting arguments.
d)  Magistrate - recieves Petitions from Member Nomics,  determines the
validity of the Petitions,
distributes the judgments or rulings from the Court to the petitioning
Member Nomic and Internomic,  sellects a Judge to convene the Hearing.
The Magistrate is chosen by the Moderator from a list of consenting
subscribers to the Internomic list.  The Magistrate need not be an
official Liason of a Member Nomic.  If no subscriber to the Internomic
list consents to act as Magistrate,  the Moderator shall perform the
duties of Magistrate.
e)  Judge - Convening authority for the Court.  Decides the verdit of the
Petition.  Has authority to
question further any argument submitted with the Petition and/or the
Liason for the Member Nomic
submitting the Petition.  Does not have subpoena power over Member or
Nonmember Nomics.  Chosen at random by Magistrate from list of consenting
Liasons of Member Nomics.  The Liason from the Member Nomic submitting
the Petition may never be chosen as Judge.
f)  Verdict - The only verdicts allowed by the Court are True and False.
Only the Magistrate has the authority to render an Invalid or Undecided
Verdict.  Verdicts must conform (as far as is possible) to the Rules of
the Member Nomic submitting the Petition at the time the Petition was
filed with the Magistrate.  Where the Rules specify "Game Custom" to be
used to determine the Verdict,  the Court will make an attempt to
determine Petitioning Nomic's "Game Custom",  but is not bound by this
restriction.
g) Curfew - the time limit to render a Verdict.  Default Curfew is
fourteen (14) days from the point of a Judge being selected.  Special
circumstances may be used by the Magistrate to set a different Curfew
than the default.  Any difference in the Curfew must be made clear before
a Judge accepts the Petition.

2.  General Provisions:
a) Whenever there is no Magistrate,  the Moderator shall post a message
to the Internomic mailing list requesting volunteers from the subscribers
to fill the position.  If no subscriber volunteers,  the
Moderator shall perform the functions required of the Magistrate.  If
exactly one subscriber volunteers within seven (7) of the posting,  that
subscriber shall be appointed Magistrate.  If more than one volunteer
responds,  the Modersator shall chose among them in a manner of eir own
choosing.
b)  Upon recieving a Petition,  the Magistrate shall review the form of
the Petition to determine its
validity for Internomic Justice.  If the Petition is found to be Invalid,
 it is returned to the Member Nomic submitting it,  with the reasons for
its invalidity.  There is no time limit for resubmitting an Invalid
Petition.  If the Petition is found Valid,  the Magistrate selects a
Liason from a Member Nomic at random to serve as Judge,  and forwards the
Petition to the Liason.  The Liason has four (4) days to accept the
Petition and convene a Hearing or decline to judge.  If the Liason
declines to judge the Petition,  e notifies the Magistrate of eir
decision and the Magistrate again selects another Liason at random.  If
all Liasons from Member Nomics decline to judge the Petition,  the
Magistrate requests a volunteer from the list of subscribers in general.
If no subscriber volunteers,  the Magistrate returns the Petition to the
Liason submitting it with the Verdict of Undecided.  If a subscriber
volunteers to serve as Judge,  the Moderator has three (3) days to veto
the assignment of the Petition to the volunteer.
c) Once a Judge has been assigned,  e shall convene the Hearing.  Once
convened a Verdict of TRUE or FALSE must be rendered before the date of
the Curfew.  If the Judge has compelling reasons for not being capable of
rendering a Verdict before the Curfew,  e may request an extension from
the Petitioning Nomic.  The Magistrate must be informed of any request
for extension of the Curfew and the response to the request.  If the
extension is not granted and the Judge still cannot render the Verdict
before the Curfew date,  the Magistrate shall reassign the Petition to
another Judge,  with the original Curfew date.  If the Curfew expires and
the Judge has not rendered  a Verdict,  a Verdict of Undecided shall be
returned by the Magistrate and the Judge shall be dismissed from further
deliberations.
d) During the Hearing,  the Judge may privately question Players from the
Petitioning Nomic who supplied arguments on the Petition.  E may also
question the Liason as to particular Rules involved in the Petition.
e) Upon satisfying emself that all relevant information has been duly
considered,  the Judge shall
render a Verdict on the Petition.  The Verdict shall be forwarded to the
Magistrate,  who will review the Verdict for form and then release the
Verdict to the Internomic mailing list.  At this time the Magistrate
shall declare the Hearing is closed.

3.  Special Provisions:
a) Petition format: A Petition shall be considered Valid if it contains
the following information in the
sequence described:
I  Statement.  a single,  clear declarative statement that may be
answered true or false.
II  Member Nomic submitting the Petition
III  Argument(s) FOR the Petition.  Each argument must be accompanied by
the name and E-mail
address of the Player submitting the argument.  Any reference to a
specific Rule must contain the exact wording of the entire Rule in the
form in which it existed at the time the Petition was filed.  There are
no limits on the number of arguments that may be submitted.
IV  Argument(s) AGAINST the Petition.  Each argument must be accompanied
by the name and E-mail address of the Player submitting the argument.
Any reference to a specific Rule must contain the exact wording of the
entire Rule in the form in which it existed at the time the Petition was
filed.  There are no limits on the number of arguments that may be
submitted.
V  Any special circmstances that may affect the Verdict,  Curfew or
eligility of a particular Judge.  If
there are no special considerations that need be taken into account,
this section does not apply.
b) Declining Judgement.  Any Liason of a Member Nomic who delines two (2)
Petitions in any calender month shall have eir Internomic score reduced
by one (1) Point and be declared inelible to Judge a Petition for a
period of six (6) weeks.
c) Score effects of the Internomic Court of Justice.  Upon successfully
rendering a Verdict of TRUE or FALSE,  the Member Nomic whose Liason
served as Judge shall be awarded one (1) Point.  Failure to render a
Verdict before the Curfew date shall result in the Member Nomic having
eir score reduced by two (2) Points.
d)  Non-Liason Judges.  Any subscriber to the Internomic mailing list who
is not a Liason for a Member Nomic and serves a Judge shall be awarded a
ceremonial gavel.  For every five (5) ceremonial gavels,  a black,  silk
Judges Robe shall be awarded.  Other Rules may describe other ways in
which gavels and Robes may be awarded or what effect they may have on the
Internomic Gamestate.  Any Non-Liason Judge who fails to deliver a valid
Verdict before the Curfew date shall be barred from eligibility to Judge
permanently.  Other Rules may describe penalties for Non-Liason
subscribers to the Internomic mailing list.
e) False statements.  Arguments presented FOR or AGAINST a Petition may
not contain a patently false statement or violate the Rules of the Nomic
of which the author of that statement is a member.  If a Judge finds
evidence of such,  e may,  at eir discretion,  summarily render a Verdict
in opposition to the position argued by the author of that statement.  If
a Verdict is rendered based on this provision,  it may never be appealed
to the Internomic Court of Justice.
f) Preliminary Verdicts.  A Judge may,  at eir discretion, publicly
announce a tentative Verdict to the
Internomic mailing list,  giving advance notice of the official Verdict
and any reasoning for that Verdict.  If the Member Nomic submitting the
Petition has a substantive objection to the Verdict,  an extension to the
Curfew may be granted.  Otherwise,  an official Verdict is required
before the Curfew date.
g) These provisions and regulations for the Internomic Court of Justice
apply only to the InCJ.  In no way will they be construed to limit,
alter or enhance the normal CFJ system for Internomic.  Other Rules may
describe special procedures or possible Verdicts for the Internomic Court
of Justice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 03:50:19 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole Auction. 

>The Gravitational Monopole is complete, and is now being
>auctioned.  A player has asked that I post the blueprint as well.

I bid A$25 dollars so that this gadget will not fall into the hands of one
who might accidentaly move the earth too close to the inner limits of the
universe.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 03:51:22 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC newbie packet rewrite 

I like the new newbie packet.  I also like the old one.  I will use either,
or both.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:20:39 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary reminder

Reminder to all bluffers to get their definitions in for
Fictionary.

Malenkai
Brainiac

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:23:38 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Java 

Seems like we are getting mixed results with the Java IRC applet.  It works
for some people and not for other.  Sometime today (friday) I am going to
pu up an alternative applet and see what happens.

Those that prefer using the original applet may do so still, and as always,
those that do not have (or prefer n0ot to use) java cpapbilities may always
access the irc server from standard irc clients.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:25:00 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Hatter (snowgod)

BuzzBee has been on vacation for 14 days + the holiday.  snowgod
has been chosen (again) as his mad hatter.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:48:16 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That's it

> things will be up to Mohammed.  I imagine he'll post a message explaining
> procedures shortly.  Thanks for the oppritunity to count your votes and
> thanks for putting up with all my blunders and delays.  You're a great
> bunch of voters :)
	Thanks in advance, also, for putting up with *my* blunders and delays.
	Everyone, please, as soon as possible, start sending all your 
votes in the following format:

#vote 1996 y
#vote 1997 n
#vote 2001 y
...

with the word 'acrobat' somewhere (anywhere) in the Subject line.  
Thanks!  I'm kinda backlogged in here but I'll do my best.

- --Mohammed
humble acting Promoter
Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:54:49 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Official - Tabulator

> I'd like to thank snowgod for Tabulating our voting results. It's been fun
> to read them.
> 
> I now appoint Mohammed as Tabulator.
	Thank you Mr. President, and special thanks to snowgod for all 
his help in the transition.  Let's go.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:04:43 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That's it 

>with the word 'acrobat' somewhere (anywhere) in the Subject line.  
>Thanks!  I'm kinda backlogged in here but I'll do my best.

      _            _
"acrobat" or "acrobot"? I thought it was the latter...

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:05:34 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole Auction.

I bid A$42

Niccolo Flychuck

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >The Gravitational Monopole is complete, and is now being
> >auctioned.  A player has asked that I post the blueprint as well.
> 
> I bid A$25 dollars so that this gadget will not fall into the hands of one
> who might accidentaly move the earth too close to the inner limits of the
> universe.
> 
> snowgod
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:07:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: bot's web page

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> This looks somewhat out of date - maybe you can get a more current list
> from Malenkai.  I know that I buried the dead guy, and I should have
> a secret decoder ring, golden frinking straw, interpol nightstick,
> a bunch of PFHabeous and some PFThinMan, and maybe some other stuff that
> isn't listed.  The pedestal for the machine being worth 0 is also
> an error, should be A$50.
	Okay.  I meant to announce this earlier.  The autobatic, 
acrobotic entities page is far from complete.  Prosthetic foreheads are 
not represented at all; many bonds are missing from the page, etc.  In 
addition, there were a few minor bugs on the original page that won't be 
resolved until either itw gets its ackt together or... something...

> Are you planning on taking over the financier job (& using the bot to do
> some of the work)?
	Yes.  Actually, most of the work.  :o)  At least, that's the idea.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:07:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That's it

> >with the word 'acrobat' somewhere (anywhere) in the Subject line.  
> >Thanks!  I'm kinda backlogged in here but I'll do my best.
>       _            _
> "acrobat" or "acrobot"? I thought it was the latter...
	acroBOT is correct!  Thank you for noticing the mistake!

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:57:57 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  last call (Tabulator)

Okay, I'm starting to compile the votes for Proposals 1600 (Elbow Room) 
through 1605 (WareHouses) now.  Manually.  It can't hurt at this point to 
forward your votes to me again, but if you don't have them anymore, you 
can rest assured that they're most likely among those snowgod sent to me 
last night.  If I get anything that I haven't seen before, I will give it 
the benefit of the doubt and include it in the results (translated: if 
you have late votes, now's the time.  Judging from my email volume, we do 
not currently look like a nomic that is achieving quorum.)

Errors have to be expected at this point.  My apologies in advance.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:08:04 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole Auction. 

>I bid A$42
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>

I bid A$59

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:20:34 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That's it

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Mohammed wrote:

>> >with the word 'acrobat' somewhere (anywhere) in the Subject line.  
>> >Thanks!  I'm kinda backlogged in here but I'll do my best.
>>       _            _
>> "acrobat" or "acrobot"? I thought it was the latter...
>	acroBOT is correct!  Thank you for noticing the mistake!
>

With a little grin, I gently suggest "Ackrobot" if a change wouldn't be
too confusing at this point.

- -mr cwm
 wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 01:56:30 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole Auction.

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> I bid A$59
> 
> snowgod
> 
> 
I bid A$66

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:07:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole Auction. 

>I bid A$66
>
>Niccolo Flychuck

A$76 - snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:00:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Voting

I'm going to sleep.  All the votes are counted and ready to go, but I 
think there are still a few out there that haven't gotten all theirs in.  
You know who you are.

I'll send everything out the next time I log on.  'Til then...

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #447
*******************************