Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #414
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, December 20 1996       Volume 01 : Number 414

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:00:32 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ackaphysicist: Report #3 

This is a rather lengthy report as it is one of the more substantial pieces
I could find and still translate.

This was a long and difficult translation, but it pays off. First, we learn
the physics behind the R1306, that says one side of the universe has
stronger "attraction", implying some kind of gravity, although we now know
it isn't, as R1238 predicted. It also explains R826, which talks of Acid
rain *falling* down. Not to mention the tornado, and other events and
objects in acka that have some dependence on a force between them and the
planet.

Second, this has a very important implication for us. Since we are not
affected by this force, it means we are mostly, if not entirely composed of
material originating from U1. Certain buildings and many objects also seem
to have an extradimensional origin. The very fact that as a racial memory,
we would know enough about gravity to know it wasn't present in Acka implied
as much.

It seems that we are closer to finding out so much, about ourselves, about
our universe. Yet there are still many unanswered question, and while the
answers are coming in slowly, each brings up new questions.

CnH

Note: The diagram will be put on the web page. Available on demand as jpeg
or gif image by email for those that want it that way: email me.

- -----------------------------------------------------
"New Sub-Atomic Force"
By prof talenz et al. of 1GI

<> Introduction
The sample from U2, contained in the double layer, magnetically sealed and
levitated vacuum chamber has been analysed and the preliminary results
indicate that there is a new force with subatomic origins present in it.
This force is named and its effects explained.

<> Observations
There is no gravity in the dimension from where the sample originates.
However, biological evidence now coming into light points to some pseudo
gravitational force being present. In a simple question, why does rain
<i>fall</i>? Our probes simply do not report any kind of gravitational forces.

We have been able to observe electric and magnetic forces in action between
molecules and atoms and thus the cohesion of matter is not in question.
These forces are similar enough to those in U1 to explain the various state
changes that occur with temperature in matter.

To explore the problem further, we devised a method to observe the atomic
arrangement and the forces present in the sample without actually opening
the sample's container, which the scientific community believes is far too
dangerous. By putting the container in a quantic field at 100 times normal
level, we can observe the distortions in that field using a Quantic Pulse Sonar.

The results were astonishing. There is no gravity as we know it, but there
exists resolvable nonmaterial lines of force between atoms. These thread
like lines have been named talens.

<> Talens
These lines of force just float about at irregular velocities. Although they
are quite flexible, bend, twist and stretch on their own, we were not able
to directly influence these changes and it seems to be an autonomous
property. We have observed their dimensions to range from thin and long to
thick and short. This is at the atomic level: a thick talen would have a
diameter of about 5-6 picometers, and a long one a length of about 10 meters
or longer.

Their shape is not definitive and can change both in thickness and length
with just one restriction. We measured the dimensions of talens and can
postulate that a change in length means a compensating change in the other,
so that an increase in length means a decrease in thickness: it is not
possible to have a thick long talent. In our sample, we can almost measure
them all, although some of the longer ones cannot be directly detected by
our instruments.

<> Properties of Talens
The distribution of shapes in a sample of these threads seems to be based on
an equilibrium. If a sample contains only long threads, a number will become
shorter. Not just "short" but a whole range of sizes from very short to very
long. The proportion of each talens size is not constant, but varies
depending on several factors. This will be discussed below.

The talens density varies quite significantly, from close to zero in a
vacuum to billions per unit volume in matter. It should be noted that for an
as yet unknown reason, the density of talens seems to be related to the
actual matter density -- with some rare exceptions [1].  For example, a
heavy metal has more talens per unit volume than some lighter metal. It is
unclear at this point if they are related effects, one is a consequence of
the other, or if they are totally independent.

The movement of individual talens is non deterministic, and in a pure
sample, the density remains constant throughout. For impure substances, an
observable migrations of talens occurs on the whole. For example, pure water
[ap note: in blue] has all its talens evenly distributed [ap note: lower
left diagram],larger and their shapes follows a normal distribution [ap
note: Gaussian, top left]. Now we add salt [ap note: in red], which is more
dense and has more talens per unit area. As if to maximize the distance
between the talens of the salt particles and those in the water, the density
of talens on the border areas between them falls [ap note: lower right].
This has the net increase of forming denser pockets in the area closer to
the salt, and also at the outer surface area of the water. As soon as a
density change at a discreet point occurs, the distribution of the shapes
changes [ap note: upper right]. If the density increases, the length of the
talens increases and vice versa.

At a cosmic size, we can see that planets, which are a composition of a
large number of different substances, and a lot of it, there are many talens
pockets of high density, some with very high density resulting in a
theoretical length on the order of several light years long. Certain large
stars would have about 1% of their talens with a length beyond 100 light years.

Another effect to note is that talens can migrate between substances. For
example, a talen near water may migrate to be near a salt molecule. However,
this is also an equilibrium process and thus occurs both ways, eventually
resulting in no net change. There are small correction factors that need to
be associated with all these results since there are non ideal effects we
had not finished examining before presenting this report.

<> Talenzien Force Generation
The actual force is due to talens that have both end touching a different
atom, and about 10-50% of all talens are in such a state at any given time.
At that instant, the two atoms synchronize their energies. The talenzien
force is generated making the two move toward each other. Moving the two
atoms apart is much harder and more energy consuming. After a variable but
extremely short amount of time, one of the ends breaks off from an atom,
then from the other, and the talen floats away. The more talens there are,
the more likely talenzien synchronization is to occur. And the longer they
are, the more likely it is to reach another atom (greater range when
contorting).

In the water example we mention, this means that for pure water would have a
certain talenzien pull down because of the planet below it, a pull that is
not balanced out by another equivalent pull the in the opposite direction.
it is thus possible to turn over the glass and the water will fall. This
explains the rain observed even though there is a lack of gravitational force.

This force allows us to actually give weights to each mass. It should be
noted that it is theoretically possible to obtain salt water which has a
greater weight than the sum of the weights of the individual separate parts
of salt and water, or other mixtures with lower weights that their
individual components. Several teams are working on these applications which
could revolutionize transportation systems.

<> Conclusion
All matter in U2 seems to have talens present in it. The matter in U1 does
not. So that when the two are put together there is next to no gravitational
or talenzien interaction between them, since the two forces are so different
as to be incompatible. So U2 water in a U2 glass over a U2 planet sets up
interactions between each and the liquid stays in the glass. Turning the
glass over makes the liquid fall toward the planet. If it's U1 water
instead, turning it over does not make it fall down.

We are looking at incorporating some of the U2 matter into U1 machines so
that they do not float off when transported through the cosversal gate. This
is still at the theoretical stage, but we hope to get the go ahead for real
tests soon.

[1] These are preliminary results and are still being checked.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:52:13 -0800
From: [email-masked] (John Martin Lotz)
Subject: RE: Acka:  What happened to Proposal 1519

Jammer

Your rule can be found on the web page. At least it was in my last weekly
download. And congratulations!

CnH

Thanks, CnH, my idiocy, I forgot how long the 
Rule set was.

Un mille de Pardon
Jammer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:25:47 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1586

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > > Proposal 1586 -- Thu 19 Dec 12:50 CST 1996
> > > Birdhouse in your Soul
> 
> > I think this rule is discriminating. I wouldn't know a TMGB refference if
> > it leaped out at me from the monitor right now screaming and flailing its
> > hands and had TMBG tattoed all over its forehead.
> 
> I would argue that it is not; it is more akin to Party Chess, The
> Machine that Goes *ping*, or Games & Contests, inasmuch as it is
> non-participatory if you do not have the interest, skill, or
> knowledge required.
> 
> Only the player with the birdhouse suffers gain or loss, and you can
> completely ignore it.  I would agree with you if the rules could 
> somehow *force* a player to possess the birdhouse.
> 
I'm convinced.
 
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:30:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1586 

>Rules that deal in points do need to be carefully scrutinized for any
>potential for abuse.
>
>b

I don't think so.  Points are no more valubale than anything else
(everything has different value to different players).  I don't play for
points, but if I found a chance to scam a bunch of them, I might.  But I am
off topic.

It doesn't matter, because if a scam happens, it's fun, it gets fixed, and
life goes on.  If we turn down every new idea becuase of scam potential we
never would have been blessed with Party Chess or Games and Contest.  We
wouldn't have prosthetic forehead, self deleting text, or God knows what
else.

Sure, we should examine everything closesly, and not vote for something
full of loopholes, but if one passes, whats the harm in that (so long as it
doesn't make all the rule dormant :))

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:32:33 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackaphysicist: Report #3 

>>This is a rather lengthy report as it is one of the more substantial pieces
>>I could find and still translate.
>>

This is certainly fascinating reading.  But it leads me to wonder, in which
universe do the Weather Gods live, and do they have a sense of humor?  Why
is the water in the Cow Town pond from U1 and the rain from U2?  And is the
Cow Town pond dangling, or just the building within it?

snowgod
puzzled

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:37:28 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  P1573, and PartyChess

As most players probably know, ever since Brinjal quit the game there has
been no NAP Swinger for sometime, and eir Office has become Warm.

A couple of days ago Bascule made eir move and checked the NAP King.
Now, if he hadn't done so, the NAP Swinger's pieces would have been
removed off-board (and remained in the possesion of the NAP Office,
though). 
Because of the check, one must be given a chance to play after all.
Hence the NAP pieces are not immediately removed from the board. If no
move is made by the turn deadline, on Dec. 22, said pieces would be
removed anyway.

When I first saw this I thought this move might be sufficient to push the
turn deadline until after the end of the voting period of P1573.
Upon further scrutiny I noted that the turn would end several hours before
the end of the voting period of that proposal. So on Sunday morning, all
NAP pieces would become off-board pieces.
Anyone who would volunteer for Office after that time, would get control
of a bunch of pieces, and a clean slate.

Furthermore - the current price for a Capital-Swinger Office is A$250

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:45:19 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Victorious Eggplant 

While browsing through the player/entities page I discovered that I had
been given a Victorius Eggplant by Habeous Corpus.  Up until this time, I
was not aware of that... I must have missed the message.

It was his wish that I present it to sbuchaza (sp?), GRAPE from the Pumpkin
Patch, and I have done so.  Woiuld the appropriate officers please note
that I am no longer in possesion of this entitity.

It has been moved to the possesion of sbuchaza, a member of the Internomic
Realms that ackanomic has recognized.  Perhaps, future rules can establish
the possibility of Actual trading between nomics.  I know Mohammed has a
plan in the alpha stages that could be used.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 02:08:01 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tabulatorness 

I was going to realease the voting results when I got home from work
tonight (thursday) but I find myslef too tired.  Instead, I will release
them before work friday.  I am going to release them without any scoring
changes (except for possibly author scoring) noted at all.  If anyone
objects, let me know.

Also, I realiza that I am violating speed.  Sorry.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:09:43 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: acting Promoter.

> Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > 
> > I have distributed all the proposals I have.  Until I return, send them
> > to the Acting Tabulator, whoever volunteers for that.
> 
I guess that makes me acting Promoter.

I have no problem performing that job for a while. ( I also thank Malenkai
for volunteering. If you realy want it, let me know, and volunteer again.)

Currently, the address for submitting your proposals is 

[email-masked]

the preffereable subject line is
acka: Proposal - DISTRIBUTE

or Something very clear in capitals.

(yes, very similar to Guy Fawkes)

Niccolo Flychuck
acting Promoter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 02:13:58 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel/Ghost 

>Mitchell Harding wrote:
>
>> The ghost word is: guberni
>
>It is snowgod's turn.
>
>Malenkai

I challange Robert Sevin's play.  Show me a word that contains 'guberni'.
I can only think of one, and it is from a class on russian politics.  I am
fairly certain that it won't be in the official dictionary, as it is not
even an english word!

snowgod

at last, the day arrives when Robert Sevin admits the unambiguity of his
own headware and stops making rediculous claims as to it's existance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 06:30:41 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Auction

HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 03:15:43 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction 

>HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today
>
>Habeous Corpus

Perhaps one of the lesser used mailing lists oughta be turned into
acka-auction.   We could have an office (or title?) of auctioneer, who is
responsible for maintaining a list of the status of all ongoing auctions
and posting it daily to the list.  He handles all of the auctions, and
always gets to keep a percent (maybe he could work it out with the seller?)
If a player does not wish to give a percentage of his take to the
auctioneer he could always sell it himself (auctions called by rulkes must
always go through the auctioneer though?).. However, if his sale resembles
an auction, the auctioneer may make a claim to 10% of the proceeds.

pardon me,  I'm thiunking to myself :)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 03:18:31 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction 

>HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today
>
>Habeous Corpus

I hereby create a trinket by the name of 'whatever it is we're auctioning
today' with a value of A$1.  It is a lovely little thing, though it defies
description.  It looks a good bit like everything else, really.

I call for a public auction on whatever it is we're auctioning today.  The
auction ends three days hence.

The current high bid is A$72

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:24:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today
> >
> >Habeous Corpus
> 
> Perhaps one of the lesser used mailing lists oughta be turned into
> acka-auction.   We could have an office (or title?) of auctioneer, who is
> responsible for maintaining a list of the status of all ongoing auctions
> and posting it daily to the list.  He handles all of the auctions, and

I don't thing there is any need for an office. 
The existing list acka-finance could be used for auctions, as it is
already being used occasionaly for trading.

Niccolo Flychuck

btw- was idiotboy the only enterpeneur around here?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:25:58 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today
> >
> >Habeous Corpus
> 
> I hereby create a trinket by the name of 'whatever it is we're auctioning
> today' with a value of A$1.  It is a lovely little thing, though it defies
> description.  It looks a good bit like everything else, really.
> 
> I call for a public auction on whatever it is we're auctioning today.  The
> auction ends three days hence.
> 
> The current high bid is A$72
>
I disagree.

The bid preceded the anouncement of the auction and therefore is not a
legal bid for this auction.

Niccolo Flychuck
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:28:09 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel/Ghost

Phil Ackley wrote:

> I challange Robert Sevin's play.  Show me a word that contains 'guberni'.
> I can only think of one, and it is from a class on russian politics.  I am
> fairly certain that it won't be in the official dictionary, as it is not
> even an english word!

The ghost word has been challenged.  It is Robert Sevin's turn to
answer the challenge.

Malenkai
referee

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:34:04 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

Uri Bruck wrote:

> I disagree.
> 
> The bid preceded the anouncement of the auction and therefore is not a
> legal bid for this auction.

I agree with Niccolo here, but the creation of the Trinket and the call
for auction have been noted.  The auction ends 3 days from the time
of snowgod's post.  As it was called on the 20th, Mohammed is Chief
Cheese for the 'whatever it is we're auctioning today'.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:39:07 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Victorious Eggplant

Phil Ackley wrote:

> It was his wish that I present it to sbuchaza (sp?), GRAPE from the Pumpkin
> Patch, and I have done so.  Woiuld the appropriate officers please note
> that I am no longer in possesion of this entitity.

I'm not sure about this.  According to R 505, any unowned entity goes
to the treasury.  Trading entities with extra-nomic entities seems a
bit fuzzy to me.  If you could show me the rule you are using to make
this trade, or make a CFJ, I'll make the change on the web page.

Otherwise, I will have to assume you still have it.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:12:44 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> HC bids A$72 for whatever it is we're auctioning today

The Gravitational Monopole auction is over, and HC wins it with this
bid.  I note that CSR 112 (I think that was the number) was accepted
in the middle of the night, so it should work.

Perhaps as a public service, HC could reattach the Hall of Elders :),
but be careful!

Also, I bid A$1 for the 'whatever it is we're auctioning today'.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:30:43 -0600 (CST)
From: "R. Scott Buchanan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acknowledment from Pumpkin Patch Nomic

Dear Denizens of AckaNomica:
     I am sbuchana, conservator, Generically Replacable Ambassador 
Pleniopotentiary Extrodinare', d/b/a/ GRAPE, of the Pumpkin Patch. 
     I have recently been presented with a trinket known as a Victorious 
Eggplant, a paper replica of ackanomic's victory eggplant.  I, and all of 
the Patchkins, are overwhelmed by the generousness of you, our Nomic 
Neighbors.  
     My initial thought was to turn the item over to WestLabs for 
scientific analysis and testing; but upon further deliberation it was 
determined that this item is more appropriate for bequest to a specially 
designed museum for display and enjoyment by the ages.  It is now on 
permanent exhibition in the very center of the Pumpkin Patch, encased in 
protective glass.
     If any of you wish to discuss the customs or rules of the Patch, you 
may contact me at this address.  Our rules may be found at:
  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~drwest/EdRules.html
     The Patch was born on January 1, 1996, and has had a turbulent 
internal history. As you may know, we recently experienced a political 
coup de etat, wherein a cabal of former Pumpkins installed the former 
minister of vice (The Zuke Suit) as the new Pumpkin.  The inaugural went 
very well.
     Once again, on behalf of all Patchkins, we are very, very grateful 
for your generousity and look forward to a long and mutually beneficial 
relationship with you.
                        sbuchana, conservator, GRAPE 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:30:01 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Super-User)
Subject: Acka: *ping* 

Today is Friday, the 20th day of December, in the Year of Our Lord 1996,
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 9 times.

Malenkai
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:13:00 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel/Ghost 

>> I challange Robert Sevin's play.  Show me a word that contains 'guberni'.
>> I can only think of one, and it is from a class on russian politics.  I am
>> fairly certain that it won't be in the official dictionary, as it is not
>> even an english word!
>
>The ghost word has been challenged.  It is Robert Sevin's turn to
>answer the challenge.

The word indeed is a word involved in Russian politics, and it is my sincere
hope that our official dictionary contains it. The word is guberniya.

Robert Sevin, who may or may not be...
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:23:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lantern

> ring
	was successfully played.  It becomes a loose end.

There are 38 cards in the deck.
8 cards have been burned.

There are 2 loose ends:
        monster
        ring

Players:
        Malenkai        has   5 cards.
        ThinMan         has   7 cards.
        Bascule         has   8 cards.
        /dev/joe        has   4 cards.
        snowgod         has   7 cards.
        Habeous-Corpus  has   7 cards.

It is Malenkai's turn.

If you need your cards, don't hesitate to mail me for them.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:48:52 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <IMCEAEX-_O=IU_OU=IUB_CN=CHEMISTRY_CN=[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Auction

I bid A$ 2 for whatever it is we're auctioning today.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:26:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1583

> 1) remove all occurrances of the following text:
> 
> "
> A Player can equip eir Vending Machine to sell other items, if the
> technology exists.
> "
> 
> [let the technology, when it comes to exist as specified by the rules,
> define how it attaches itself to the vending machine.] 
	*frown*  Now, look.  I wrote that into the new version of the 
vending machine in an effort to preserve the spirit of the original.  
Who's ripping now?  (*smile*  Considering all the grief I got in my first 
incarnation over the simple removal of redundant language, I think I have 
a legitimate right to gripe here. :o)

> 2) Add the following text before the period that terminates the first
> sentence of the final paragraph of the Blueprint.
> "
> , so long as the specified Vending Machine is equipped to vend the specified
> item.
> "
> }}
	There'll be two periods at the end of the blueprint now.

	Ah well, dumb oversight on my part anyway.  I figured there had 
to be something wrong when someone (Guy Fawkes?) offered a largeish sum 
of money for a vending machine, but couldn't see it and after a casual 
look through the new text went back to RL work....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:31:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Victorious Eggplant

> It has been moved to the possesion of sbuchaza, a member of the Internomic
> Realms that ackanomic has recognized.  Perhaps, future rules can establish
> the possibility of Actual trading between nomics.  I know Mohammed has a
> plan in the alpha stages that could be used.
	It's been a while.  But yeah, let's see if we can't get this 
going again.
	The problem is, each Nomic should keep its own records to some
extent, and so there has to be a way to resolve discrepencies between the
records of member nomics.  Either massive redundancy, or messy
arbitration, or both. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:44:35 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Lantern:  thought

I have a friend who would like to join the current game of Ye Olde Rusty 
Lantern.  He has no intention of joining Ackanomic.

Unless anyone has objections, I'd like to join him up, perhaps even spin 
the Lantern game off into its own thing.  (It appears it will take far too 
long, on average, to be a Game/Contest anyway.)

There are several possibilities.  I could forward all Lantern mail to my
friend (I have already started doing this).  All he has to do is add acka
to his address book, and he's set.  Or, if /dev/joe really wanted to do
it, he could set up a mailing list for it.  Or I could go about finding 
an independent listserver for the game.

In any case, if I end up feeling like YORL is inappropriate for a 
Game/Contest (in the sense of Niccolo's framework for Games and Contests, 
that is), the next draft of the rules will be a little more lenient about 
who can play.  Comments on the game so far are much appreciated.  I 
assure you I will hang on every word.

Thank you, as always, for your attention and/or tolerance, and especially 
for the great enjoyment this game has already afforded me.  In 
Ackanomic's past few weeks, I've enjoyed it more thoroughly than ever 
before.

yours,
- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:03:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Interpol Nightstick Treasure

> BTW, here is my new self-printing program; a little longer than it
> really had to be in order to avoid making ridiculously long lines.
> I started on this last night but got frustrated and quit.  It uses
> a quote function similar to breadbox's.
> 
> -------SP.I-------
> q "\"" =;
> nl "\n" =;
> sm ";" =;
> e "=" =;
> sl "\\" =;
> sp " " =;
> se " =;\n" =;
> q1"qt(q$ <<; << q$ <<; se$ <<; <<; nl$ <<;)=;" =;
> qt(q$ <<; << q$ <<; se$ <<; <<; nl$ <<;)=;
> r1"s1(q sp$ q$ sl$ q$ q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s1(q sp$ q$ sl$ q$ q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;
> r2"s2(nl sp$ q$ sl$ n q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s2(nl sp$ q$ sl$ n q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;
> r3"s3(sm sp$ q$ sm$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s3(sm sp$ q$ sm$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;
> r4"s4(e sp$ q$ e$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s4(e sp$ q$ e$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;
> r5"s5(sl sp$ q$ sl$ sl$ q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s5(sl sp$ q$ sl$ sl$ q$ se$ + + + + + + <<;)=;
> r6"s6(sp sp$ q$ sp$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s6(sp sp$ q$ sp$ q$ se$ + + + + + <<;)=;
> r7"s7(se sp$ q$ sp$ e$ sm$ sl$ n q$ se$ + + + + + + + + + <<;)=;" =;
> s7(se sp$ q$ sp$ e$ sm$ sl$ n q$ se$ + + + + + + + + + <<;)=;
> r8"s1. s2. s3. s4. s5. s6. s7. q1<<; q1$ qt." =;
> s1. s2. s3. s4. s5. s6. s7. q1<<; q1$ qt.
> r9"r1<<; r1$ qt. r2<<; r2$ qt. r3<<; r3$ qt. r4<<; r4$ qt. r5<<; r5$ qt." =;
> r1<<; r1$ qt. r2<<; r2$ qt. r3<<; r3$ qt. r4<<; r4$ qt. r5<<; r5$ qt.
> r0"r6<<; r6$ qt. r7<<; r7$ qt. r8<<; r8$ qt. r9<<; r9$ qt. r0<<; r0$ qt." =;
> r6<<; r6$ qt. r7<<; r7$ qt. r8<<; r8$ qt. r9<<; r9$ qt. r0<<; r0$ qt.
> -------SP.I-------

Yow!  This monstrosity is responsible for /dev/joe's finding yet another 
Treasure to add to his pile yesterday at about 5:00 pm game time.

The map read, in full:
        "This treasure map leads to the Interpol Crime-Pounding Nightstick.
The Nightstick will be found by the first player to send to Mohammed a
self-printing interpol program that meets these restrictions.  First, it
can't use interpol's script-printing mechanism.  In addition, the program
must not depend on any user input, and the stack must be empty when it
finishes.  Have a nice day!"

Shortly thereafter, /dev/joe sent me a shorter version of the program, 
"484 characters on 9 lines, the longest of which is 74 characters".

However, breadbox, using strings with internal line breaks, managed the 
following:

- ---QUINE.I---
a"\""=;b"\\"=;c"\"=;"=;
q( swap. <<a$ <<;<<;a$ <<;a$ <<;<<a$ <<;<<; )=;
a<< $ <<b$ <<;<<;c$ <<;b<<a$ <<;$ << <<;c$ <<;c<<a$ <<;b$ <<;$ << <<;"
q( swap. <<a$ <<;<<;a$ <<;a$ <<;<<a$ <<;<<; )=;
a<< $ <<b$ <<;<<;c$ <<;b<<a$ <<;$ << <<;c$ <<;c<<a$ <<;b$ <<;$ << <<;""q.
"q.
- ---QUINE.I---

which is only 269 characters on 6 nice, non-long lines.

However, my personal favorite is still the following, which I wrote 
during 3 hours when I really should have been doing the last of my 
schoolwork or making the bot run.

- ---harf.i---
barharf
"n harf=;(n$harfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf!=)(bar n$"=;
fooharf"\n"=;
barharfharf
"+ <<fooharf$ <<;fooharfharf$ <<;$ <<;fooharfharf$ <<;"=;
fooharfharf"\""=;
barharfharfharf
"=;"=;
fooharfharfharf"\\"=;
barharfharfharfharf
"n"=;
fooharfharfharfharf"\""=;
barharfharfharfharfharf
"<<foo n$ +"=;
fooharfharfharfharfharf"\n"=;
barharfharfharfharfharfharf
"<<fooharfharf$ <<;fooharfharfharf$ <<;$fooharf$ ==(n<<;)if. ~(foo n"=;
fooharfharfharfharfharfharf"\n"=;
barharfharfharfharfharfharfharf
"$ + $ <<;)if.;fooharfharf$ <<;<<;n n$harf+ =;)while.n harf=;(n$"=;
fooharfharfharfharfharfharfharf"\n"=;
barharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf
"harfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf"=;
fooharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf"\n"=;
barharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf
"!=)(bar n$ + $ <<;foo n$ + $ <<;n n$harf+ =;)while."=;
fooharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf"\n"=;
n harf=;(n$harfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf!=)(bar n$
+ <<fooharf$ <<;fooharfharf$ <<;$ <<;fooharfharf$ <<;"=;\n"<<foo n$ +
<<fooharfharf$ <<;fooharfharfharf$ <<;$fooharf$ ==(n<<;)if. ~(foo n
$ + $ <<;)if.;fooharfharf$ <<;<<;n n$harf+ =;)while.n harf=;(n$
harfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharfharf
!=)(bar n$ + $ <<;foo n$ + $ <<;n n$harf+ =;)while.
- ---harf.i---

:o)

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 23:13:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: acting Promoter

Mohemmed has volunteered to be acting Promoter. Apparently he realy wants
the job. I gathered that from the fact that he used the phrase "I really
want the job of Promoter"

So be it.
I'm appointing Mohammed as acting Promoter
eir email is [email-masked]

Niccolo Flychuck
President

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:32:06 -0800 (PST)
From: fnord <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1586

Guy Fawkes distributed this thusly
> 
> Proposal 1586 -- Thu 19 Dec 12:50 CST 1996
> Birdhouse in your Soul
> G. Peefalt (Aaron Morris)
> 

Quite an interesting proposal, and well-deserving of its harfy status, 
but it has brought a few questions to my mind.

> This proposal creates a unique, non-named, tradeable entity called the
> Birdhose in Your Soul.

This 'non-named' send me looking for the difference between named
and non-named entities.  Apparently, the difference is that nameless
entities can own other things, but named entities can't.

Looking through the ruleset, I found several things that are 'nameless',
such as PFBonds, Bond Options, Blue Crosses and associated medals, 
Goose Eggs, and AckaDollars (though only through inference).  Also,
by default entites are nameless (so the above 'non-named' declaration
may not have been necessary).

Would there be a better name to call these things, other than 'nameless'?
I get confused, mainly because if they are nameless, why do they have
names by which we call them?

> This rule does not apply retroactively.

I had thought that all rules could not act retroactively.  Is this 
supposed to mean that the Birdhouse owner may not act upon references
of TMBG stuff that appeared before the Rule became active?

> G. Peefalt will be the initial owner of the Birdhouse.

Is this phrased sufficiently well to allow the Birdhouse to be traded away?
I remember there was some problems with the way the Machine That Goes *ping*
had when it was first proposed with a similar statement about its
inital location.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:51:59 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1586

fnord wrote:

>Guy Fawkes distributed this thusly
>> 
>> Proposal 1586 -- Thu 19 Dec 12:50 CST 1996
>> Birdhouse in your Soul
>> G. Peefalt (Aaron Morris)
>> 
>
>Quite an interesting proposal, and well-deserving of its harfy status, 
>but it has brought a few questions to my mind.
>
>> This proposal creates a unique, non-named, tradeable entity called the
>> Birdhose in Your Soul.
>
>This 'non-named' send me looking for the difference between named
>and non-named entities.  Apparently, the difference is that nameless
>entities can own other things, but named entities can't.

The other way around, actually.  That aside from the rather obvious
fact that nameless entities don't have names.

Also, as long as I'm at it: "non-named" is not necessarilly the same as
"nameless."  The distinction doesn't much matter, however, because the
birdhouse would be nameless by default if the proposal passed.  The
rule just ends up being a little sloppy.
>
>Looking through the ruleset, I found several things that are 'nameless',
>such as PFBonds, Bond Options, Blue Crosses and associated medals, 
>Goose Eggs, and AckaDollars (though only through inference).  Also,
>by default entites are nameless (so the above 'non-named' declaration
>may not have been necessary).
>
>Would there be a better name to call these things, other than 'nameless'?
>I get confused, mainly because if they are nameless, why do they have
>names by which we call them?

They do not have names by which we call them.  They belong to classes
that have names by which we call them.  I may call my Blue Cross
"Mumphord" if I so desire, but that has no standing in the rules.
That is exactly the point of such entities being nameless.  On the
other hand, you and I are members of the class "players," but we also
have Ackanomic names which are firmly grounded in the rules.  Hence
the distinction, and the propriety of the term "nameless."
>
>> This rule does not apply retroactively.
>
>I had thought that all rules could not act retroactively.  Is this 
>supposed to mean that the Birdhouse owner may not act upon references
>of TMBG stuff that appeared before the Rule became active?

No doubt that is the intent.  I am not convinced that the language
used would have the desired effect, however.
>
>> G. Peefalt will be the initial owner of the Birdhouse.
>
>Is this phrased sufficiently well to allow the Birdhouse to be traded away?
>I remember there was some problems with the way the Machine That Goes *ping*
>had when it was first proposed with a similar statement about its
>inital location.

I think this will probably work alright, but it would be better form
to put it in self-deletion brackets, or to make the rule amend it away
itself.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:15:18 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: YORL mailing list

To help Mohammed take the YORL game out of Acka (not that it was ever really
in Acka in any official sort of way), I have created a mailing list
   [email-masked]
for the YORL game.  Those on the list should have already received
notice of this in a separate message; others who want to join should
send mail to [email-masked] with a line like:
  subscribe yorl [email-masked]
in the body of the message.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:45:28 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Victorious Eggplant 

>Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>> It was his wish that I present it to sbuchaza (sp?), GRAPE from the Pumpkin
>> Patch, and I have done so.  Woiuld the appropriate officers please note
>> that I am no longer in possesion of this entitity.
>
>I'm not sure about this.  According to R 505, any unowned entity goes
>to the treasury.  Trading entities with extra-nomic entities seems a
>bit fuzzy to me.  If you could show me the rule you are using to make
>this trade, or make a CFJ, I'll make the change on the web page.
>
>Otherwise, I will have to assume you still have it.
>
>Malenkai
>Financier

The rules make no provisions for extranomic trading, so I think it can be
assumed that I am still actually in possesion of the Victorious Eggplant.
However, It has been used for it intended purpose and as far as he is
concerned, sbuchanza is also in possesion of the same eggplant.

More than anything else, I posted this message as a reminder that we still
have no internomic trading system, and so far have hardly begun to develop
one.  However, I will be examining one small loophole in the rules to see
if this trade is actually legal.

Brings up a funny point though -- conservation of nomic mass :)

snowgod

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #414
*******************************