Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #407
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, December 16 1996       Volume 01 : Number 407

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:05:25 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1565

Proposal 1565 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:00 CST 1996
Press Ombudsman
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

Create a new rule with the following text:

There exists the optional office of Press Ombudsman.

It is the duty of the Press Ombudsman to maintain a list of all Newspapers
and their status.  It is also the duty of the Press Ombudsman to make an
announcement if a newspaper goes belly-up.

It is a privlidge of the Press Ombudsman to select which among the existing
newspapers shall be the State Sponsored Newspaper.  He may change his
decision at any time by publically announcing that he is doing so.

It is a privlidge of the Press Ombudsman to solicit and accept bribes from
the owners of newspapers.  However, every bribe to the Press Ombudsman must
be reported in a newspaper owned by the briber.  Failure to publish such an
article with 7 days of the transaction is a crime.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:05:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1566

Propsal 1566 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:00 CST 1996
State Sponsored Newspaper
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

Create a new rule with the following text:

Any time there are one or more active newspapers in Ackanomic, exactly one
of them may become the State Sponsored Newspaper.

The State Sponsored Newspaper shall, in addition to  publishing it's
regular content, publish as many as two articles authored by any Politcal
Officer, at the officer's request.  It is considered bad form for an
officer to submit articles that do not relate to his office under the
provisions of this section, and players are allowed to sneer.

The State Sponsored Newspaper must also contain in each issue a rundown of
important senate activities since the last issue.  At the request of the
senate, it must also publish a "Public Service Message" on a topic of the
senate's chooosing.

As compensation for the increased workload, the owner of the State
Sponsored Newspaper shall recieve A$50 per calender month.  In the event
that a newspaper loses its State Sponsored status without completing the
current calender month, it's owner shall only recieve A$10 in compensation.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:05:59 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1567

Proposal 1567 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:00 CST 1996
Don't Eat the Potato
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

All mimsy animals and vegetables (and any other mimsy entity that could
otherwise be considered a foodstuff) is non-edible.  In fact, they are
quite poisonous.  Any player eating a mimsy foodstuff shall become
violently ill and must pay A$100 to the treasury for treatment and
medication. He must also post a description of his illness.

The Gumball is safe for casual chewing, but any attempt to swallow it will
also result in violent illness.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:06:21 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1568

Proposal 1568 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
The Star
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Create a new rule reading:
A unique non-tradeable entity called the Soft Strident Star of Elendil
(Star, for short) exists.  {{ Initially, the Star belongs to Mohammed. }}
Every Monday, at the same time the Magic Potato is reassigned, the
officer in charge of random things will random choose a player to
receive the Star; it is transferred from whoever owns it to the named
player.  If that player ever loses points while in possession of the
Star, the first time it happens since that player most recently gained
possession of the Star, the Star will negate part or all of that loss by
giving the player as many points as he lost, up to a maximum of 15.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:06:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1569

Proposal 1569 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
Email Reform Targets the Promoter and Tabulator
23 Skidoo (David Fisher)

This is a Grandiose proposal.

Amend rule 396, adding the paragraph,

  Proposals shall be issued in a single report,
  distributed with a maximum frequency of once per day, and a minimum
  frequency of one every three days.  Each report shall contain all proposals
  submitted since the last such report, in the order in which they were
  submited.  Each report shall also contain, at the head of the report, a
  "Proposal Ballot," consisting of a number of lines, each containing the
  number of the proposal associated with that line, and as much of the name of
  that proposal as will fit on that line.  [ie, a list of proposals contained
  in that report.  The function of this list is so that votes can be quickly
  and efficiently passed on to the tabulator.]  The Promoter may, at eir
  discretion, split the report into multiple pieces to keep each submission
  a reasonable length.

Amend rule 414, adding the paragraph,

  The tabulated voting results of each proposal
  shall be issued in a single report, distributed with a maximum frequency of
  once per day and a minimum frequency of one every threee days.  Each report
  shall contain the tabulated information of all proposals whose voting period
  has ended since the last report, in the time order in which their voting
  periods ended.  This Tabulator may, at eir discretion, split the report into
  multiple pieces to keep each submission a reasonable length.

23 Skidoo
- - --
David Fisher ([email-masked])
"Seduced, shaggy Samson snored./ She scissored short.  Sorely shorn,/ Soon
shackled slave, Samson sighed,/ Silently scheming/ Sightlessly seeking/ Some
savage, spectacular suicide."  - Stanislaw Lem, "The Cyberiad"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:06:55 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1570 

Proposal 1570 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
Politeness Moon Reform
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Change the text of Rule 400 "Politeness Moon" to the following:

Players sending messages to a public forum should be as polite as
possible. If a Player A fails to be polite, another Player B may
publically request that Player A soften eir tone of voice. If Player A
publically disagrees that eir tone of voice was strident, or if Player
B responds impolitely to such a request, Player A may call a
Politeness Moon Hearing on the matter.
     
The valid responses to a Politeness Moon Hearing are "Yes, e was
polite." and "No, e was not polite.". If the verdict of the Hearing
shows that Player A was not polite, Player A loses 3 points. If it
shows that Player A was polite, Player A gets the nickname Jazz
JackRabbit for the next 3 days.

{{[The only real change in this proposal is to encourage players to
make a good faith attempt to keep things under control before invoking
the rules on each other. With the current version, for example, if I
wrote a rude message and Mohammed called a Politeness Moon on me, it
might just escalate the situation; but if he had first asked me to
soften my tone, I might realize that I'm taking things too seriously
and calm down.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:07:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1571

Proposal 1571 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
Another Truly Deplorable Pun
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

When 2 or more Swingers are in the same location, they are specifically
forbidden from discussing chess or bragging about their victories. This
goes doubly so when said Swingers are in a hotel.

Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer is a crime.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:07:31 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1572

Proposal 1572 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:02 CST 1996
Hubert's Legacy
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend R 901, "No E-mail, No Game", to place the following text at
the end of the final paragraph:

Such corrections may be applied retroactively, provided they are
announced within 3 days of the post or posts to which they are
being applied.  Moreover, it is a privilege of the Postmaster to
post such corrections with respect to other players' posts, if he
can factually determine the relavent information.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:07:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1573

Proposal 1573 -- Sun 16 Dec 18:02 CST 1996
Make the NAP Count
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Add to R985.2 section 2 H (ii) (a) the following text:
"
With the exception of the NAP Swinger Office.
 When the NAP Swinger Office is Warm, and there are on-board pieces that
 belong to that Office, the Chess-Umpire anounces a public NAP turn.
 During a public NAP turn any non-aligned player who is not a Swinger may 
 suggest a play for the NAP Swinger, by posting it in a public forum.
 If at least two additional non-aligned players who are not Swingers
 support that play, and there are more such players who support this play
 than any other suggested play, before the turn deadline then the
 Chess-Umpire considers it to be the play of the NAP Swinger, the player
 who suggested the play receives 2 Swingpoints, and that Round
 is not counted as a Round in which the NAP Swinger's Office was Warm.
 If no play is suggested within two days of the begining of the public 
 NAP turn, then the NAP is considered to have Passed by Default. If a play
 has been suggested within two days of the begining of the public NAP turn
 then the turn deadline is set to four days after the  begining of a 
 public NAP turn. If no suggested play is accepted by the turn deadline
 then the Nap turn is considered to be a default Pass. 
 
{{The NAP Swinger Office is hereby no longer Warm}}
"

{{[What this does, is it allows non-aligned players to sporadically
play instead of the NAP Swinger and keep the Office sort of 'alive' for
sometime. The time intervals are short, but then nothing really happens
here as a surprise, and if no suggests plays, then it doesn't hold up
PartyChess unnecessarily. More than that, this increases participation and
involvement in PartyChess]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:08:16 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1574

Proposal 1574 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:03 CST 1996
Pyraic Practically Paradox
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.  Create a new rule reading:

{{Add the words, "and the two noun phrases do not share the same 
occurrence of the same word," after the words, "both plural or both 
singular," in the last paragraph of the blueprint for the Pyraic 
Frobnotzer.}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:08:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1575

Proposal 1575 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:03 CST 1996
No Bad One-Liners
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest, not to mention Ironic, proposal.  

Replace the words "five lines" found in the sixth paragraph of Rule 207  
"Scoring when a Proposals Voting Results are Reported" with, "five 
lines, none of which contains more than 80 characters, including space 
characters,".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 19:42:49 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1569

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1569 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
> Email Reform Targets the Promoter and Tabulator
> 23 Skidoo (David Fisher)
> 
> This is a Grandiose proposal.

I can again only request that Acka not approve this proposal, due to 
the increased workload it will cause me.  I spend alot of hours working
for this game, and will not appreciate more, especially when the added
work will bring about negligible compensatory benefits, nor will the work
added be caused by a new game element (e.g. Processing Chips).  

If one thinks the total work saved by other players is greater than
the extra work bestowed upon me, that is different, but I do not
believe that would be the case.

I also do not think it qualifies as Grandiose.

I appreciate your consideration.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:21:12 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lantern

/dev/joe is asleep.

There are 39 cards in the deck.
6 cards have been burned.

There is one loose end:
        monster

Players:
        snowgod         has   7 cards.
        Habeous-Corpus  has   7 cards.
        Malenkai        has   7 cards.
        ThinMan         has   7 cards.
        Bascule         has   8 cards.
        /dev/joe        has   4 cards.

It is snowgod's turn.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:22:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1514 Fails (fwd)

> This is another option -- if you must go about randomly destroying Otzma
> cards when there somehow become too many, compensate the owners of the
> destroyed cards with some A$.  Deciding how much may not be easy, though.
> Fix the production rule(s) so that otzma cards cannot be created in excess
> of the limits, if this is not already so, so that the only time too many
> otzma cards of a type can exist is when the limits change.
	Better:  go through the rule set and wipe out all references to 
otzma card limits.  The limits aren't really any fun, I don't think.  
Certainly they're not necessary to maintain the balance of the game.  
Take off the training wheels!

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:24:27 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1514 Fails (fwd)

Jason Orendorff wrote:

>         Better:  go through the rule set and wipe out all references to
> otzma card limits.  The limits aren't really any fun, I don't think.
> Certainly they're not necessary to maintain the balance of the game.
> Take off the training wheels!

Except I don't want 3 Tornadoes in a single day.  Too much work for
the OiCoRT ;)

Rather than the current system, I would prefer categories, with some
sort of thing defined for each category:

Unique, Rare, Uncommon, and Common

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:30:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: G&C Proposal 106

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> Games and Contests Game:  Battle of Britain
> 
> Author:  Habeous Corpus

I support this as well.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:32:31 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1514 Fails (fwd)

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Unique, Rare, Uncommon, and Common
> 
> Malenkai

Warning: Clinical studies indicate that playing Dungeons and Dragons can 
seriously affect the subject's word choice in virtually every other 
aspect of their life :)

Guy Fawkes
wasting bandwidth

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:33:54 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1514 Fails (fwd)

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Unique, Rare, Uncommon, and Common
> >
> > Malenkai
> 
> Warning: Clinical studies indicate that playing Dungeons and Dragons can
> seriously affect the subject's word choice in virtually every other
> aspect of their life :)

I believe they have 'very rare' as well.  I haven't played in several
years, and never played version 2 (or whatever they are up to now);
I'm suprised they use that same system still.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:06:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: OMCL auction

I bid A$200 for the OMCL.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:46:21 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  More Treasure

I was cleaning out my directory to bring myself under quota, and I found 
a little interpreter of a made-up language that I wrote back when I was 
learning C++.  It's called interpol.  (*snicker*)

I am creating a Trinket, worth A$7, called the Interpol Mug.  It is a 
nice, dark navy-blue mug for holding hot frinks, coffee or cider in 
particular.  Very handy for those of you in northern latitudes, now that 
Jack Frost is nipping at your various appendages.

I am making a treasure out of the Interpol Mug and burying it.

I am writing a map that reads:  "All the stuff anyone on a UNIX box will
need to make interpol-- the C++ source, documentation, and a makefile--
are available by request from Mohammed.  The first player who sends me a
self-printing interpol program will find the Mug."

I may have to go find it myself.  The reason I'm posting this right now 
without first doing any of a dozen things to make the contest more 
appealing (such as porting interpol to C) is that I hadn't thought of the 
problem until just this instant and I wouldn't want anyone to sneer too 
badly when I dig the Mug up.  Remember, I don't have too much of a head 
start here.

Be forewarned:  interpol is an utterly disgusting little language.  I
can't think of any redeeming features it has, off the top of my head.
But if you can stomach it... be my guest...

- --Mohammed
the more the merrier

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 23:08:22 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1570 

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1570 -- Sun 15 Dec 18:01 CST 1996
> Politeness Moon Reform
> breadbox (Brian Raiter)
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> Change the text of Rule 400 "Politeness Moon" to the following:
> 
> Players sending messages to a public forum should be as polite as
> possible. If a Player A fails to be polite, another Player B may
> publically request that Player A soften eir tone of voice. If Player A
> publically disagrees that eir tone of voice was strident, or if Player
> B responds impolitely to such a request, Player A may call a
> Politeness Moon Hearing on the matter.

shouldn't the last part of this read:

"or if *Player A* responds impolitely to such a request, *Player B* may call
 a Politeness Moon Hearing on the matter."?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:52:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Magic Potato

fnord has found the magic potato.
Robert Sevin has found the tuba.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #407
*******************************