Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #393
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, December 11 1996     Volume 01 : Number 393

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:59:09 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Church: Chess 

Does anyone else think it would be fun if the church appointed an internal
officer in charge of chess (would this require a change of church policy?)
and then purchased a capital swinger seat?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:58:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Land

I'm considering (espically if that "Size of Things" proposal passes) 
working out a system to define how much land there is.  Calvin's recent 
purchase of 4 kaa doesn't seem to mean much until we make land a limited 
resource, like A$.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:05:46 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Land Purchase 

>>> I'd like to buy 4 kaa of land if possible. I'd like to offer A$50 per kaa.
>>> So pay A$200.
>>> Would that be ok?
>>>
>>> CnH
>>
>>The senate has voted to approve this purchase.
>
>I ack this. Could the Financier please record the transaction?
>
>Thanks
>CnH

I inever saw the original message.  Could someone repost it?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:05:57 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka:  Yorl oops 

>Feel free to ignore this message...
>
>I said that /dev/joe gets a card because his turn ends.  That's not true;
>what happens is that "evil" is burned, and /dev/joe gets two cards for
>having a play denied.  Can't even read my own rules properly.  :o\
>
>As you were...
>
>--Mohammed
>Tavern Master

I think I missed some YORL message too.  Last I heard /dev had played his
Third Card.  What happened after that?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:06:07 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 323 (breadbox) 

>Malenkai wrote:
>>
>> breadbox has been chosen.
>>
>> Clerk of the Courts
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Call For Judgement 323
>>   Subject: Vote YES for Proposal 1500
>> Initiator: Malenkai
>>     Judge: breadbox (selected Dec 10, 1996, 18:15h EST)
>> Judgement:
>
>I am retracting CFJ 323.
>
>Dec 10 18:20 EST: -1 Malenkai: retracted CFJ 323
>
>Malenkai

I never recieved CFJ 323.  Hmm, I get the feeling something is going wrong here!

snowgod
who is probably having problems with his mail server

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 05:09:23 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Does anyone else think it would be fun if the church appointed an internal
> officer in charge of chess (would this require a change of church policy?)
> and then purchased a capital swinger seat?
> 
> snowgod
> 
As for the first question, yes, I think it would be fun. If we had enough
Churches to get the Synod going, I think it would be fun to have the Synod
joining in as well.
Almost which is not mentioend is Church Policy, is up to the Founder, so
unless the Markovian Church has something about this in its Policy, it's
pretty much your call.
Please note, however, that it is a player who can buy the Capital-Swinger
Officer, and while that may represent the Church, and may be bound by
Church Policy in eir actions, as far as the rules are concerned, it is the
player, and not the Church, who owns the Office.
So first you'd need to transfer the appropriate funds to the Church member
you appointed, and then e would purchase the Seat
(Malenkai made some comments that Capital-Swinger doens't actually work
now, but his re-org proposal should fix this)

Also note that when a Capital-Swinger goes on vacation there is no
acting-Swinger. I'm not sure renting would work this. But selling the
Office to another Church member, and then buying it back later should
definitely work. 

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:10:18 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Land 

>I'm considering (espically if that "Size of Things" proposal passes)
>working out a system to define how much land there is.  Calvin's recent
>purchase of 4 kaa doesn't seem to mean much until we make land a limited
>resource, like A$.
>
>Guy Fawkes

I wrote (but never submitted) a proposal a while bac (funerals) that would
have, as a side effect, given a limit to the amount of land in ackanomic.
Would anyone be interested in me submitting it now?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:16:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess

I think it would be neat; my concern is when the church swinger is in a 
position where he must decide between taking the side of one of our two 
major parties (None Yet) and FUN on the chessboard.

I'd like to do it, but unfortunately I may be totally off-line for winter 
break.

Guy Fawkes

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Does anyone else think it would be fun if the church appointed an internal
> officer in charge of chess (would this require a change of church policy?)
> and then purchased a capital swinger seat?
> 
> snowgod
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:20:29 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: acka: Swingpoints

> Today is once again a time for giving out Swingpoints.
> 
> First, the three Swingpoints I own are converted into point
> 
> Dec. 09 niccolo +3 Swingpoint conversion
> 
> Then - 3 Swingpoints are created and given to me , since I have the
> highest Weight
> 
> 2 Swingpoint are created and given to snowgod, who has the second highest
> Weight.

The rule isn't clear what time of day the event of swingpoint conversion
and the handing out of new swingpoints occurs.  I have been treating it as
happening at the first possible moment -- that is, at 00:00 EST on the
appropriate Tuesday.  This means this happened before the score report I
sent out today, not that it matters much.

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:22:08 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess 

>I think it would be neat; my concern is when the church swinger is in a
>position where he must decide between taking the side of one of our two
>major parties (None Yet) and FUN on the chessboard.

I suppose if he was in such a situatioon, he would be required to choose
which ever choice was in the best interest of the church, regardless of
party alliegence.  The mixed alliances could be VERY interesting.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 22:19:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess

Uri Bruck wrote:

> (Malenkai made some comments that Capital-Swinger doens't actually work
> now, but his re-org proposal should fix this)

Yes, I believe capital swinger is broken because of its lower precedence
to the office rules, which do not permit tradeable offices.  Re-org I
should fix this, as Niccolo says.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 05:25:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Swingpoints

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> The rule isn't clear what time of day the event of swingpoint conversion
> and the handing out of new swingpoints occurs.  I have been treating it as
> happening at the first possible moment -- that is, at 00:00 EST on the
> appropriate Tuesday.  This means this happened before the score report I
> sent out today, not that it matters much.
> 
> 
> /dev/joe
> Scorekeeper
>
The point conversion happens automatically, so that time is fine.
The Swingpoint creation and distribution should be fixed.
It is possible that a move made on a Swingpoint Tuesday wil change the
relative standing of two Swingers, and I'd prefer to have a set time, if
not for the actual anouncement, then for the determination of the number
of Swingerpoint.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 05:35:14 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >I think it would be neat; my concern is when the church swinger is in a
> >position where he must decide between taking the side of one of our two
> >major parties (None Yet) and FUN on the chessboard.
> 
> I suppose if he was in such a situatioon, he would be required to choose
> which ever choice was in the best interest of the church, regardless of
> party alliegence.  The mixed alliances could be VERY interesting.
>
I agree. 
The idea of a Capital-Swinger, and specifically of one that happens to
represent a Church, is to divorce Party affilitation from PartyChess.
However, the above would be best affected by ammending Church Policy.

Naturally, I'd also like to see independent Capital-Swingers on the
PartyBoard. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:36:41 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lack of quorum reason for rejoicing?

> 
> My understanding of this is that it immediately puts the game on hold
> before any other proposals fail to quorum.  It's really not rejoicing,
> but more of a Damage Control Festival.
> 
> Guy Fawkes

Then it should be set out on its own. The festival otherwise seems to be
held for positive reasons.  Perhaps it can be called the "days of
penance", when everyone should have to wear ashes and sackcloth. :)

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 06:03:10 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church: Chess

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > (Malenkai made some comments that Capital-Swinger doens't actually work
> > now, but his re-org proposal should fix this)
> 
> Yes, I believe capital swinger is broken because of its lower precedence
> to the office rules, which do not permit tradeable offices.  Re-org I
> should fix this, as Niccolo says.
> 
> Malenkai
>
There's another fix that should be made to Party-Hall to make Capital
Swingers work, and that's the number of Seats.
Currently it is the number of Parties plus 1, should number of Parties,
plus the number of Capital Swingers plus 1.

I don't believe a Modest ammendment to that effect would be hampered by
the fact that re-org is currently on the queue.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 22:18:16 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Mail Problems

> >Malenkai wrote:
> >
> >I am retracting CFJ 323.
> >
> >Dec 10 18:20 EST: -1 Malenkai: retracted CFJ 323
> 
> I never recieved CFJ 323.  Hmm, I get the feeling something is going
> wrong here!
> 
> snowgod
> who is probably having problems with his mail server

The messages aren't bouncing, nor are they still in the mail queue on
wilma.  However, Guy Fawkes did have some mail bounce today, due to a
full mailbox, including most of the proposal results snowgod posted;
I think everything that bounced to him is in digest #391 available on
the FTP site, which I won't remail to him until he asks for it, to
avoid filling his box again.  More recent mail has not bounced.

The only messages in the mail queue are 3 recently received ones that
have not yet been delivered to all players; incidentally, UTnet is sliced
in half right now, so I can't get to wilma from the dialup server, and
wilma can't connect to mail.utexas.edu to deliver mail to Robert Sevin
and Calvin N Hobbes, but fortunately wilma is on the side that has the
outgoing connection to the world.

Also, observer [email-masked] has a full mailbox and some 200 of his
messages have bounced in the last couple days; I am using my privilege
as Postmaster to move him to the digest list.

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 22:28:54 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Props up for vote.

First let me say thank-you to /dev/joe for sending me the proposals 
up for a vote and the text of each prop.  Also thanks to Malenkai for 
offering to do the same.

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:40:36 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Fictionary  

The new Ing word is Xyster

Bluffers, please send me your definitions at [email-masked].  Remember,
this would be a really bad time to come down with a case of snowgod's
disease, so be careful :)

snowgod
Braniac II

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:17:10 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Lantern 

Still carrying the foreman, the monster decends back into the marsh.
However, being of limited intelligence, he is unaware that the man does not
have gills and is unable to breathe underwater.  The man awakens, and his
eyes begin to bulge.  He gasps and chokes, but is unable to draw any air
out of the putrid marsh.  The monster mistakes the man's asphyxiation
induced panic as resistance, and tightens his grip on the man. The man
screams a terrible scream, releasing the last of his air, but alas,
underwater his scream is silenced.

A terrible accident occurs as the monster squeezes the man too hard and
crushes his head inward, killing him.  The monster is terribly upset, the
man had died before the monster was able to eat him -- and as every monster
knows, humans taste best when eaten alive.

The monster releases the man's body and turns towards shore to find some dinner.

accident

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:47:39 -0800 
From: David Thomas Fisher <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: To the housing commission...

I'm sending this notice to indicate that I'm changing the name of my house from
"23 Skidoo's House" to "Zone 23".  Also, Mr. Map-Harfer, I'd like it to be
linked to http://www.clark.net/pub/rarnold/firesign/tft_sounds.html/linetap.wav
if it's not too much trouble.

23 Skidoo, aka
- - --
David Fisher ([email-masked])
"Seduced, shaggy Samson snored./ She scissored short.  Sorely shorn,/ Soon
shackled slave, Samson sighed,/ Silently scheming/ Sightlessly seeking/ Some
savage, spectacular suicide."  - Stanislaw Lem, "The Cyberiad"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #393
*******************************