Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #392
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Tuesday, December 10 1996      Volume 01 : Number 392

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:38:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1541

Proposal 1541 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:35 CST 1996
Boons of the Ancients
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

[gist: create a standard rule that is a probability-weighted list of
prizes that can be doled out as specified by the rules.  Right now,
the *ping* machine is the only thing that does this, but other things
can be added.  Replace the gadget that the machine gives out with a
Boon of the Ancients from this list].

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule which reads:

1) Whenever the rules specify a Boon of the Ancients is bestowed upon a
particular player, the Boon is chosen from the list below, created
if necessary (or as described following), and transferred to the particular
player (or elsewhere, as described following).

2) Boons may either be bestowed randomly or deterministically.  If the rule
bestowing the Boon does not specify a method, the random method is used.

3) Under the deterinmistic method, the player designated to receive the
Boon ("player" for the purposes of this rule) has 3 days to choose a
Boon for himself to receive.  No Boon is bestowed if three days pass and
the player has made no selection.

4) Under the random method, the numbers in parentheses following each choice
are summed, and the probability of receiving a particular Boon on the
list is the number in parentheses after that Boon divided by the sum.  The
Officer in Charge of Random Things then randomly chooses a Boon for the
player to receive based on these probabilities.

5) If the Boon is not of type "Must Describe", it is immediately created
if necessary, and transferred to the player after it has been chosen.

6) If the Boon is of type Must Describe, the player has 3 days to post a
description of the Boon as specified in the list.  If no description is
posted in that time, no Boon is bestowed.  A Boon is of type Must Describe
if the words "Must Describe" appear in its description in the list below.

7) Boons of type Must Describe are created 7 days after their description
is posted, or when the results of a Bogusity Hearing on that particular
Boon's description are publically knowable, whichever is later, unless
the Boon is found to be Bogus, in which case the player receives no Boon,
and/or no Boon is created.
 
8) Any player may call a Bogusity Hearing within three days of a
description of a Must Describe Boon being posted.  Only one such Hearing
may be called per Boon.  The player who described the Boon may not vote
in the hearing.  This takes precedence over R 1396.  The valid responses
to the Bogusity Hearing are "This loophole surfer is totally Bogus", and
"Thats a pretty cool idea".  If the result is the former, the Boon is
found to be Bogus and the player who described it loses 11 points.

9) Boon list [weights sum to 100 in this case]:

        a) The player has found an ancient artifact.  A random Gadget
from the pool of Blueprints which have existed for at least 14 days,
such that no instance limits are exceeded for any particular Gadgets,
is bestowed (45).

        b) The player has found an ancient scroll.  A random Otzma Card,
all cards having the same probability, such that no instance limits are
exceeded for any particular Otzma Card, is bestowed (25).

        c) The gods smile upon the player.  1 Bonus Vote is bestowed (10).

        d) An ancient relic.  A Trinket of value A$75 which the
player Must Describe.  In this case, A$75 in the Treasury is transmuted
into the Trinket when it is bestowed as above (7).

        e) Ancient knowledge.  A Blueprint is created in the Blueprint
Archive (not owned by the player, but said to be created by the player),
as described by the player (Must Describe) (5).

        f) Ancient wisdom.  An Otzma Card is added to the Otzma Card
Rule Suite, which the player Must Describe (5).

        g) The gods are bored.  The player is given pointy ears (2).

        h) The gods are grouchy.  The Chartreuse Goose is transferred to
the player.  This takes precedence over the rule entitled "Chartreuse
Goose" (1).

{{ renumber this rule to 1241.}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1240, "The Machine That Goes *ping*", as follows:

a) replace

"one Gadget from a Blueprint randomly selected from the set of Blueprints
 which both existed at the beginning of the current Scholar's term and
 currently exist; this Gadget"

with

"one random Boon of the Ancients; this Boon"

b) remove "Create a new rule reading:" from the top of the rule.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:38:54 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1542

Proposal 1542 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:35 CST 1996
InterNomic Incentive
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend R 970, "Ackanomic/Internomic Interface", to replace

"
      Any Ackanomic Player may request the Liaison to make an InterNomic
Proposal by sending the Proposal to the Liaison.
"

with:

"
      Any Ackanomic Player may request the Liaison to make an InterNomic
Proposal by sending the Proposal to the Liaison.  If said Proposal is
adopted by InterNomic, the player who requested it receives 7 points
upon the Ambassador reporting the fact of its adoption to Ackanomic. 
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:39:24 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1543

Proposal 1543 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:35 CST 1996
Prime Time for an Otzma Day
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Amend R 1369.1, "Definition of Otzma Cards", as follows:

I. replace section III, subsections 2 and 3, which currently read:

"
2. The following entities have the authority to declare an Otzma-Day:
the President, the RuneMaker, any Institution. a proposal which has been
accepted according to the rules can also declare an Otzma Day 

3. Otzma-Days must be declared at least three-days in advance, unless
it has been declared by a proposal. An Otzma-Day last for three days or
until the RuneMaker has declared the end of Otzma-Day, whichever comes
first. Once an Otzma-Day is over, at least 10 days must pass before the
next Otzma-Day can start. 
"

with:

"
2. The following entities may declare an Otzma-Day: the President,
the RuneMaker, any Institution, or any Rule.

3. Otzma-Days must be declared at least three-days in advance, unless
it has been declared by a rule. An Otzma-Day lasts for three days or
until the RuneMaker has declared the end of the Otzma-Day, whichever comes
first. Once an Otzma-Day is over, at least 10 days must pass before the
next Otzma-Day can start; this sentence has precedence over section VI of
this rule.
"

II.  Add the following text at the end of the rule:

"
VI.
Whenever a non-Null Proposal whose proposal number is prime is accepted,
an Otzma Day is declared.
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend the rule which was created by Proposal 396, either entitled 
"Promoter" or "Office of Promoter", by replacing section (b), which
reads:

"
(b) assign the proposal a number and distribute it for voting. 
"

with:

"
(b) assign the proposal a number 1 greater than the number assigned to
the previously distributed proposal, and distribute it for voting. 
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "I *really* wish my conditional rule changes
proposal passed", with the following text [which effectively moves
R 1535, if it was accepted, into the Otzma Card Rule Suite]:

{{
If proposal 1535 was accepted, perform the actions on the following list
in the order listed:

a) create a new rule, member of the Otzma Card Rule Suite, with 
text and title identical to the text and title, respectively, of R 1535.
Change authorship credit of this new rule to "Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)";
this sentence takes precedence over the rule entitled "For Personal
Glory...".

b) repeal R 1535, "Otzma Card Type Amazing Hoover Building Mover".

}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:39:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Propsal 1544

Proposal 1544 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:36 CST 1996
"ing" is no longer an official word :(
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

[I understand the problem with the old official dictionary, yet find
the new one too limiting.  A simple union of the two should work, as
presumably the deficiency in the first one was the absence of common
forms of common words , which should be in the new one (I remember
'tower' not being in it, but 'towering' in there, go figure).  

The ideal solution would be to charge admission to acka and buy a
subscription to the on-line OED :).  Where *is* that Coke money?]

This is a Modest proposal.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend the rule created by Proposal 411, ("Web-Harfer" or "Office of the
Web-Harfer"), to replace the text which currently reads:

"
b) To select and maintain a link to the Official Dictionary of the
English language (hereafter referred to in the rules as the "Official 
Dictionary"). 
"

with:

"
b) To select and maintain one or more links to on-line Dictionaries of
the English language. The term "Official Dictionary", as used elsewhere
in the rules, shall be construed to mean the union of these Dictionaries.
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:39:58 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1545

Proposal 1545 -- Tue 12 Dec 12:36 CST 1996 
Otzma Card of type TruthSeeker
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

     Create a rule entitled: "Otzma Card of type TruthSeeker", which is a
     member of Otzma Cards Rule Suite, and has the following text:

     "
     A Card of this type can only be played in the public forum, and its
     play must be accompanied with a payment (by the player playing it) to
     the Treasury of a quantity of A$ which is 10 times the square of a
     non-negative integer.  This non-negative integer is referred to as
     "T" for the purposes of this rule.

     This card has the power to reveal portions of the Machine that goes
     *ping*'s Truth.  The number of words revealed is equal to T.

     The Scholar of *ping* shall, within 3 days of the Card taking effect,
     privately post T words from the Machine's truth, undisgusied, to
     the player who played the Card.  Such post shall also unambigiously
     specify where each word is locacated in the Truth. 

     This rule has precedence over Rule 1240 where there is a
     conflict.  This card has no effect if there is no Scholar of
     *ping*, if the current Scholar of *ping* has not revealed the
     Machine's Truth, or if T exceeds the number of words in the
     Machine's Truth.

     Its Counter-Action: The private post per above shall be posted
     publically as soon as humanly possible by either party who was
     privy to it. (Once posted by one player, the other player is not
     obligated to do so).
     "

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:40:32 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1546

Proposal 1546 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:36 CST 1996
But not a Real Green Dress, that's cruel
fnord (Michael Thomas)

If a player mentions, in a public post, an object that is green, using the
words "a green /object/", then follows up that phrase with the parenthetical
phrase "(but not a real green /object/, that's cruel)", they are awarded
A$25 from the Treasury.  No player may gain more than A$25 in a single post,
nor more than A$50 in any calendar month, by the application of this Rule.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:59:12 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Evil Twin Syndrome

snowgod wrote:

>This would seem to imply that My Evil Twin, ThinMan, is underworked,
>overpaid, and more often than not has all his ducks in a line.  Oh, the
>horror of it all :)
>
>snowgod
>evil twin to the Great ThinMan

Hang on, there.  I thought I was _your_ evil twin.  Wouldn't that
make you my _good_ twin?

And, although you're right as far as the ducks go :^), I can only wish
that you were right about your other conclusions.

ThinMan
snowgod's evil twin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:04:24 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: P1498 Passes 

>>>Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
>>>6 YES votes - 6 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS
>>
>>Oops, sory.  My mistake.  This should read:
>>11 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS
>
>I'm a newbie, but why does this line allways say a proposal fails?
>Wasnt eleven Votes enough?

You are correct -- the proposal passed, it looks like it was just a
mistake. I think he posted something about this earlier today...

Robert Sevin, who is currently involved in a duel regarding the fact that
he may be...
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:36:21 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Report

Scoring since the last report:
Dec 05 02:43 EST: -2 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1505
Dec 05 10:08 EST: -2 Habeous Corpus: 2 anxious Whamiol
Dec 05 10:08 EST: -1 snowgod: anxious Whamiol
Dec 07 10:08 EST: -2 Habeous Corpus: 2 anxious Whamiol
Dec 07 10:08 EST: -1 snowgod: anxious Whamiol
Dec 07 10:17 EST: -2 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1523
 P1487-1491 scoring: 1487, 1489, 1491 were modest
Dec 08 10:10 EST: -2 Guy Fawkes: retracting P1516
Dec 09 08:34 EST: +6 Guy Fawkes: posting what phoebe said
Dec 09 10:08 EST: -2 Habeous Corpus: 2 anxious Whamiol
Dec 09 10:08 EST: -1 snowgod: anxious Whamiol
Dec 09 12:36 EST: +3 snowgod: winning Grab-a-donkey
 P1492-1498 scoring:
  P1492 was modest
  AirHead voted on P1492, becoming active, and giving points to the
    Whamiol owners (Habeous Corpus +30, snowgod +15)
  P1493 and 1498 were modest and short
  Malenkai's score became 279 after P1493 (magic number was 273), so
    by rule 422, the Magic Number is increased to 11 higher than the
    highest player score, or 290, since this is greater than the old
    magic number + 16.

Current Scores:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
288	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
211	Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
145	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
104	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
100	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
91	mr cwm               V   (Eric Murray) 
68	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
68	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
50	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
36	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
22	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
22	fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
1	AirHead              N   (Eric Freeman)
1	Jammer               N   (John Lotz)
1	Swann                N   (Steven Swiniarski)
1	Clairence            N   (Clair Anthony Viglione)
0	Lestrade             N   (John Duncan)
0	Techno               R   (Jerome Herrman)
0	23 Skidoo            N   (David Thomas Fisher)
- -4	Robert Sevin         A   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -13	Bascule              Av  (Matt Black) 

A=Active, N=New, V=Vacationing, IV=Involuntary Vacation, I=On Ice,
D=Dead, R=Returning (non-active), v=Victory Eggplant, g=Chartreuse Goose

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:04:11 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:

Hubert

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:19:42 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Lantern Play

The monster carries the unconscious man to the pond, sets him on the
ground near the edge of the pond, and dives in.  A short time later,
the monster returns carrying some device, which he attaches to the man's
face with a strap that goes around behind his head.  Now he picks up
the man and takes him down into the pond.

At the bottom of the pond, where the monster slept for so many years,
there is a hatch that opens to reveal a much larger underground,
water-filled chamber.  In this chamber is a great palace, obviously well
cared for by whatever creatures inhabit this place.  The monster closes
the hatch behind him and takes the man into the palace.

At the end of a long hallway, there is a large room that can only be
described as a laboratory.  The monster stands the man against a wall,
securing his body into place with a number of straps.  After performing
some manipulations with some sort of chemicals, the monster returns to
the man, and injects a small amount of some chemical which very quickly
awakens him.  Then the monster injects another chemical, in a much
larger amount, and leaves the man alone, strapped to a wall in this lab.

The man, of course, has no idea how he got to this place, but he very
quickly realizes that the device which prevents him from speaking also
allows him to breathe in this underwater place.  Soon, he notices that
the straps that hold him down seem to be getting tighter.  After a bit,
he realizes that the straps are not changing, but his body is getting
bigger.  Thick hair begins to grow all over his body.  Soon the man looks
like a slightly smaller version of the monster which brought him here.

evil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:21:53 -0600
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: 

Hubert

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:43:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  YORL update

I'm rejecting this on the grounds that it doesn't sufficiently bring
"evil"  into the story.  I know now that this wasn't adequately explained
in the rules, but I intended from the beginning to be sort of strict about
this sort of thing. 

General guideline:  the story element you are attempting to play should 
be in the top 20 or 30 ideas used in the story excerpt.  Specifically, if 
I were to scribble down two dozen guesses at what the story element is, I 
ought to be able to guess it.

In this installment I probably would have gone for "unconscious", "wet",
"pond", "corridor", "lab", "hormones", "straps", "a transformation", and 
several others that are prominent in the story but I won't mention 
because they're actual cards.  "Evil" is suggested, but it's not 
seriously guessable, IMHO.

Besides which, the evil here is ambiguous to begin with.  Don't we all do
this sort of thing from time to time?  Is it *really* evil?

So.  /dev/joe's turn ends, so he gets a card.  snowgod is at /dev/joe's left.

There are 42 cards in the deck.
2 cards have been burned.

There is one loose end:
        monster

Players:
        snowgod         has   7 cards.
        Habeous-Corpus  has   7 cards.
        Malenkai        has   7 cards.
        ThinMan         has   7 cards.
        Bascule         has   8 cards.
        /dev/joe        has   5 cards.

It is snowgod's turn.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:46:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Yorl oops

Feel free to ignore this message...

I said that /dev/joe gets a card because his turn ends.  That's not true; 
what happens is that "evil" is burned, and /dev/joe gets two cards for 
having a play denied.  Can't even read my own rules properly.  :o\

As you were...

- --Mohammed
Tavern Master

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:56:45 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka:  YORL update

Tavern Master wrote:
> I'm rejecting this on the grounds that it doesn't sufficiently bring
> "evil"  into the story.  I know now that this wasn't adequately explained
> in the rules, but I intended from the beginning to be sort of strict about
> this sort of thing. 

I halfway expected this.  I considered "evil" to be the toughest card I
had in my hand, so I figured I would make my best attempt at writing
something evil that fit in with the story I'd set up, and at worst, the
piece gets rejected and its somebody else's turn, I get 2 new cards, and
I get rid of the "evil".

Besides, I didn't want to write the whole story myself. 

/dev/joe
Bard

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:05:38 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  YORL update

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Besides, I didn't want to write the whole story myself.

Why?  I rather liked it :)

Malenkai
future bard if interruption ever becomes possible with his cards

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:07:51 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Score Report

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

>   P1493 and 1498 were modest and short
>   Malenkai's score became 279 after P1493 (magic number was 273), so
>     by rule 422, the Magic Number is increased to 11 higher than the
>     highest player score, or 290, since this is greater than the old
>     magic number + 16.

I *hate* that short bonus ;)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:14:50 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 323 (breadbox)

breadbox has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 323
  Subject: Vote YES for Proposal 1500
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: breadbox (selected Dec 10, 1996, 18:15h EST)
Judgement:

Statement:

Malenkai will win the current cycle.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

I find the trying to hit the Magic Number exactly a little silly.  The
sooner we end the cycle, the sooner we will get an Archaeologist :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:17:31 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 323 (breadbox)

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> breadbox has been chosen.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 323
>   Subject: Vote YES for Proposal 1500
> Initiator: Malenkai
>     Judge: breadbox (selected Dec 10, 1996, 18:15h EST)
> Judgement:

I am retracting CFJ 323.

Dec 10 18:20 EST: -1 Malenkai: retracted CFJ 323

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:37:41 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lack of quorum reason for rejoicing?

Let me run this by you all and see what you think. This is not yet an
official proposal.

Amend rule 797/5 - Festival of Torkola

Delete paragraph 5c which reads:

"Upon rejection of 3 consecutive proposals due to Quorum not being met,
a festival of 5 days will automatically start on the day following the
public distribution of the voting results of the third rejection. Any
rejections which occur during a Festival or before the known start date
of one shall not count. e.g, if 6 proposals are rejected on a Saturday,
the first 3 are sufficient to start a festival on Sunday, and the other
rejections shall be ignored."

It seems to me that lack of quorum is a bad reason to have a festival!

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:42:01 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: RFC DUI

FWIW:

RFC:  No Frinking and Driving

Create a new Rule entitled:  No Frinking and Driving,  with text:

At any time should a Player in Ackanomic be found to be consuming or in
possession of alcholoic beverages while in possession of any Ackanomic
conveyance or golf balls,  that Player shall be considered guilty of the
Crime of Frinking and Driving.   This explicitly does not apply to
Bartenders in the case of possession only.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:38:26 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1546

Guy Fawkes wrote:
 
> Proposal 1546 -- Tue 10 Dec 12:36 CST 1996
> But not a Real Green Dress, that's cruel
> fnord (Michael Thomas)

Any fan of "Gordon" has got my vote :-)

Malenkai
who has written dozens of proposals to the tune of that album

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:42:01 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: RFC: Internomic stuff

This is in anticipation of some version of Internomic Judicial System
Passing:

RFC: Internomic Justice:

Ammend Rule 588 (Selecting a Judge) by replacing the second paragraph
with:

If the "remaining Pool" is ever reduced to 0 eligible active Players, 
and a judge needs to be selected,  the Clerck of the Court (CotC) shall
send a public message to the Ambassador containing the following:

1.  A request for Internomic Judgement,  with the reason for the request
(i.e. no available judges).
2.  A copy of the CFJ or CFCJ responsible for the request.
3.  The initiator's comments.
4.  Any extenuating circumstances that might require Judgement before the
default Internomic Judgement.

Prior to submitting the CFJ or CFCJ to Internomic for Judgement,  the
Ambassador shall request in a public message for additional FOR and
AGAINST comments on the CFJ or CFCJ from Players.  The iniator of the CFJ
or CFCJ shall be given priority in adding to the FOR argument,  Any
number of Players may submit arguments AGAINST,  but in cases of a CFCJ
or any CFJ aimed at a particular Player,  the concerned Player shall be
given priority.

The Ambassador shall pick one or more AGAINST arguments to accompany the
FOR argument (even in cases where the only argument is the CFJ Statement)
 when submitting the CFJ or CFCJ to Internomic.  

Any Player providing an argument either FOR or AGAINST should be prepared
to defend eir argument if queried by the Internomic Judge.  

Internomic Judgements may not be appealed either to Ackanomic nor
Internomic.  This takes precedence over any Ackanomic Rule governing
appeals of CFJ's or CFCJ's.

Habeous Corpus

P.S.  If there are any other Rules that may require modification or any
other circumstances (i.e. appeals) that we may want to send to
Internomic,  please let me know.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:42:01 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: RFC: Bartender

Sorry about this,  I lost the original and forgot to post it as a
Proposal.  This should take the workload off the Financier,  and may
introduce some more oportunities for some bad poetry.

RFC:  Bartender:

Create a new Rule entitled:  Bartender,  with text:

The Title of Bartender is created.  There will be at most on Bartender at
any one time.  Whenever the start of a Festival of Torkula,  Parade or
any other festivity allowing the frinking of alchololic beverages is
anounced,  the Officer in Charge of Random Things shall randomly select
one Player to hold the Title of Bartender.  That Player shall hold the
Title for the duration of the festivity for which e was selected.  Once
selected,  no other Player may be selected as Bartender for the duration
of the festivity.  If the Bartender should go on vacation,  resign from
the game,  be placed in Gaol,  or for any reason become ineligeble to
serve as Bartender,  frinking of alchololic beverages shall no longer be
allowed for the duration of the festivity.

The Bartender is responsible for dispensing drinks and snacks to Players
during the festivity for which e was selected to serve as Bartender.  The
Bartender shall collect all moneys for drinks and/or snacks due per
applicable Rules and maintain an accurate account of all Tabs.  At the
end of the festivity,  the Bartender shall remit one half of all moneys
collected for drinks and/or snacks to the Treasury.  The other half shall
be retained by the Bartender as payment for services rendered.  This
takes precedence over any Rule governing the accounting for or collecting
of currency or maintaining Tabs.

If any Player frinks the maximum allowable of alchololic beverages during
a single festivity,  the Bartender shall call a Taxi for that Player to
transport em home.  The charge for taking a Taxi shall be A$2,  paid to
the Bartender who may keep the entire sum.  If the Player involved does
not have A$2,  or wishes to decline paying for the Taxi,  e may instead
entertain the other revellers with a Frinking Song of at least six (6)
lines and not longer than twelve (12) lines in length.  The Bartender
will then send the Player home in a Taxi;  the A$2 fare is waived.

During the period that a Player holds the Title of Bartender,  e may not
frink any alchololic beverages nor give away any alchololic beverages to
other Players.  E may,  however,  munch on as many snacks as e likes.

Habeous Corpus
getting the munchies

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:45:38 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lack of quorum reason for rejoicing?

john duncan wrote:
> 
> Let me run this by you all and see what you think. This is not yet an
> official proposal.
> 
> Amend rule 797/5 - Festival of Torkola
> 
> Delete paragraph 5c which reads:

[festival on quorum]

The original rationale behind that part of the rules was a quorum crisis
we had a long time ago where we could not achieve quorum to change the
quorum rules.

The theory behind that part of 'Festival' was that a proposal moratorium
should be declared if we are having a quorum crisis.  Since that time,
however, we have fixed our quorum rules and given the President the
power to declare a Festival at any time, so the clause is probably
vestigial, and can be removed.  It probably would not have helped much in
a quorum crisis anyway.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:48:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Internomic stuff

[email-masked] wrote:

> If the "remaining Pool" is ever reduced to 0 eligible active Players,
> and a judge needs to be selected,  the Clerck of the Court (CotC) shall
> send a public message to the Ambassador containing the following:

The odds of the pool being reduced to 0 are virtually nil, especially
now that we have the Praetor.  I would prefer appeals of Supreme Court
decisions going to the InCJ.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:16:23 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (AirHead)

AirHead has found Phoebe's matchbox.  Phoebe's archive is at

http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/phoebe.html

from which a link to Phoebe's rule can be found.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 02:31:04 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Lestrade's poll question reply

I couldn't remember whether or not this has been posted, anyway, this is
Lestrade's reply to the poll question:

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled into an Imperial Nomic page, one of
their links was to this page:
http://www.cse.edu.au/~malcolnr/nomic-faq.html
There was a listing of all the nomic games this guy was aware of.
Ackanomic looked to be the most intresting. I bookmarked the home page
and watched for a week before I contacted you the first time.

After a week as an observer, I feel that if I am going to get 75 e-mails
a day, I should join in the fun as a player.

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:53:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Lestrade's poll question reply

> Ackanomic looked to be the most intresting. I bookmarked the home page
> and watched for a week before I contacted you the first time.
> 
> After a week as an observer, I feel that if I am going to get 75 e-mails
> a day, I should join in the fun as a player.

Indeed.

I would really like to recommend to anyone involved in recruiting new
players (such as the Web-Harfer), to advise people to become observers
before joining the game. I think it really helps, and the number of
"Tim" cases would, I imagine, decrease dramatically.

I observed for three weeks before joining. The first day after
registering as an observer, I was absolutely floored at the amount of
email in my inbox, and I nearly unregistered on the spot. I mean,
nobody told me it would be *this* bad. The only saving grace was that
I knew that I could safely ignore any of it, because I wasn't actually
playing. After a few days I found that, however, I found that I was
actually reading all of it, and it wasn't nearly as much of a time
drain as I had suspected.

But if I hadn't been an observer, and had felt *compelled* to read
everything from the beginning, I probably would have assumed that I
couldn't afford the drain and not even tried (especially with the
project deadlines I had at the time).

b

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:16:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lack of quorum reason for rejoicing?

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, john duncan wrote:

> It seems to me that lack of quorum is a bad reason to have a festival!

My understanding of this is that it immediately puts the game on hold 
before any other proposals fail to quorum.  It's really not rejoicing, 
but more of a Damage Control Festival.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:32:20 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Evil Twin Syndrome

> 
> >This would seem to imply that My Evil Twin, ThinMan, is underworked,
> >overpaid, and more often than not has all his ducks in a line.  Oh, the
> >horror of it all :)
> >
> >snowgod
> >evil twin to the Great ThinMan
> 
> Hang on, there.  I thought I was _your_ evil twin.  Wouldn't that
> make you my _good_ twin?

I had asumed that I was your evil twin, just as you are mine.  However, if
you would like for me to be your good twin,m I would more than happily
oblige.  I suppose it all comes down to the queston "Do you consider
yourseld evil?"

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:51:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Land Purchase

> I'd like to buy 4 kaa of land if possible. I'd like to offer A$50 per kaa.
> So pay A$200.
> Would that be ok?
> 
> CnH

The senate has voted to approve this purchase.

breadbox
senator, seat sinecure 33

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:54:10 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Swingpoints

Today is once again a time for giving out Swingpoints.

First, the three Swingpoints I own are converted into point

Dec. 09 niccolo +3 Swingpoint conversion

Then - 3 Swingpoints are created and given to me , since I have the
highest Weight

2 Swingpoint are created and given to snowgod, who has the second highest Weight.

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:55:09 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Land Purchase 

>> I'd like to buy 4 kaa of land if possible. I'd like to offer A$50 per kaa.
>> So pay A$200.
>> Would that be ok?
>> 
>> CnH
>
>The senate has voted to approve this purchase.

I ack this. Could the Financier please record the transaction?

Thanks
CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:55:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC 3 -- players consolidation (fwd)

OK.  I've done away with tick marks, since they were based on a 
misreading anyway, kept "on ice" as part of the vacation rule, and tidied 
up a little bit on the undead mess, employing simultaneity instead of 
worrying about infitessimal bits of time.  There are a few other 
modifications, mostly aesthetic (e.g. moving the mentor rule up with the 
others) I'm approaching the 
point where the relevant rules are fading from the clarity in my mind I 
had when I first wrote this, so this will probably be the last RFC before 
I propose it.

RFC 3
Players
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule with text as follows:
{{
Perform the following actions, in the order they appear.

- ----

I. [Registered players]
Renumber Rule 218 "Registered Players" to 250.

II. [Player names]

Create a new rule, entitled, "Players' Names" with text as shown, delimited 
by ~ symbols.

~
Every player has exactly one Ackanomic name.  This name must be a string 
of name characters from three to twenty characters in length.  Neither 
the first nor the last character in this string may be the space character.

A player may change his Ackanomic name, so long as the new name complies 
with all appliccable rules.  This shall be accomplished when the player 
announces his old name, new name, real name, and short explanation of the 
change.  The Registrar shall record the change.  When a player changes their 
Ackanomic name, all Ackanomic business will be changed to follow their 
new name.

When choosing or changing their Ackanomic name, no player may take any 
name previously held by any past or present player, unless they are the person 
who was previously registered under that Ackanomic name [no one could take the 
name pTang1001001sos unless they really were the Mark Nau who held that name 
previously.]  It is the Registrar's duty to make sure all names comply with 
this rule, and it is the Registrar's right to reject any name choosing or 
change which violates it. 
~

Renumber the just-created rule to 251.

Repeal Rule 570 "Player Names"

- ----

III. [Joining the Game]

Create a new rule, entitled "Joining the Game", with text as shown, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
A person wishing to join the game should notify the Registrar, 
providing a valid email adress, their real name, and the legal Ackanomic 
name they wish to play under.  Upon them providing this information, the 
Registrar shall post a public message announcing the new player and providing 
their Ackanomic name, real name, and email adress, and if the prospective 
player provided it, how they discovered the game.  Upon the posting of such an 
announcement, the person becomes registered as a player.

If the just-registered player did not legally choose the name of an 
extant Undead as his Ackanomic name, he is a New player.

Upon the regisration of a New player, the following procedure takes 
place, in the order shown.
1) The New player is granted 1 kaa of urban land and a Small building 
thereupon as their legal residence.  This building shall be known as 
their Home.  This building shall also be known as "player name's House", 
where "player name" is replaced by their official Ackanomic name.  A player may 
change the name of this building by publically announcing the new name and 
unambiguously identifying the building they wish to rename.
2) The New player is paid from the Treasury the lesser of A$900 or the 
average A$balance of all other extant players.
3) The New player is given 100 newly created PFBonds associated with 
himself.  The Financier shall assign a label that may be used to refer 
to the PFBonds associated with the New player, although this procedure 
may continue without waiting for him to do so.
4) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player.  The Mentor 
receives A$25 from the Treasury.  

When a player legally takes the name of an Undead, the Undead 
ceases to exist at the time of the naming.  All entities it was haunting 
immediatly prior to its destruction enter the player's possession.
Upon this occurring, the following procedure takes place, in the order shown:

1) All Bond Promissories in that player's name are converted to PFBonds 
associated with that player.  Their label is the same as the PFBonds 
whose conversion created the Bond Promissories. 
2) If the player left during the current cycle, his score is the minimum 
of 0 and the score he had upon last leaving the game.  Otherwise, his 
score is -15N, where N is the number of cycles he has won.  If this 
causes his score to be negative, he is given a Victory Eggplant, and his 
Eggplant Weight is set to -15N, where N is defined as above.

~

Renumber the just-created rule to 252. 

Repeal Rule 962.2 "Player Leaving/Returning Process"

In Rule 362 "No Dead Players Allowed", delete all text between the string 
"and treated as if he never joined the game" and the end of the paragraph, 
inclusive. Add a period to the end of this paragraph.

Amend the first paragraph of Rule 1051 "Mentors" to read, "When the 
Registrar must select a Mentor for a new player, he shall follow these guidelines.  
No one may become a mentor except as specified in the rules."  Delete the 
sentence containing the string "A$25" from Rule 1051.  Renumber Rule 1051 
to 253.

Repeal Rule 1026 "New and Returning players".

Delete the paragraph beginning, "Each player who has not previously..." 
from Rule 839 "Buildings".

[This next few bits attempts to account for either the passage of failure of 
reorg-1.  Please scrutinize carefully.]

If Proposal 1539 passed, do the following: (1) Delete the second 
paragraph of Rule 665, section I. (2) Delete the third paragraph of rule 507.
(3) Add "(vii) the name and email address of their Mentor" to the end of 
Rule 409, section (b).
[money, PF's, Registrar]

If Proposal 1539 did not pass, do the following: (1) Delete the second 
paragraph of Rule 480. (2) Delete the third paragraph of rule 481.
(3) Add "(vii) the name and email address of their Mentor" to the end of 
Rule 424, section (b).
[same in current ruleset]

- ----

IV. [Player States]

Create a new rule, entitled, "Player States" with text as follows, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
At any given time, exactly one of these three states shall apply to a player.

Pending
Active
Vacation

Upon registration, a player is Pending.  A Pending player becomes Active 
when it becomes publically knowable that he has voted or made a proposal.

Only Active players may be randomly selected for anything.
~

Renumber the just-created rule to 254.

Renumber R457 "Vacation" to 255.

In Rule 306 "The Magic Potato", replace all occurrences of the string, 
"randomly chosen player" with "randomly chosen Active player".

Amend Rule 201, "Quorum and Active Players," to read, "In a vote on a 
proposal the quorum required is 50% of (the sum of the number of 
Vacationing players who voted on the proposal and the number of Active 
players, less the number of players in Gaol)."

- ----

V. [Leaving the Game]

Create a new rule, entitled "Leaving Ackanomic," with text as follows, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
Upon a player leaving, the following procedure takes place, in the order 
shown.
1) All of his mimsy possessions are taken away and considered unowned.
2) The player is removed from all offices.
3) If the player was never at any time Active, all of his A$ are 
transferred to the Treasury, every PFBond associated with him is 
destroyed, every rented object in his possession reverts to its owner, every 
entity remaining in his possession is destroyed, and then the player is 
deregistered.  In this case, the procedure ends here.
4) If the player was at any time Active, the procedure continues.
5) Every PFBond assiciated with him is converted into a Bond Promissory 
in his real life name.  Bond Promissories are tradeable entities.
6) The player is transformed into an Undead; all entities in the player's 
possession at the time of this transformation are now unowned, in the 
Treasury, and haunted by the Undead.
~ 
Renumber the just-created rule to 256.

All Bond Promissories associated with currently registered players become 
PFBonds associated with that player.
}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #392
*******************************