Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #389
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, December 9 1996       Volume 01 : Number 389

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:05:10 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> > Please note that this message does not constitute a Challenge. 
> > If you want a Duel, you gonna have a bit more formal about it.
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> True, but this public bluster is so enjoyable.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> do we need an El Presidente to offiate dueling?
>
No, but you do need a referee for Ghost.

Niccolo Flychuck 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:12:22 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary: Voting Time

> 5. A small stone or chunk of rock.
> 

I vote for number 5.

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:10:50 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Observer turned player (mentor - Guy Fawkes)

John Duncan, an Ackanomic observer has decided to become a player
Eir e-mail is [email-masked]
E has chosen the Ackanomic name Lestrade.

We welcome him to Ackanomic.

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:16:31 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Props up for vote.

Who can send me a list of the proposals currently up for vote.  If 
possible list the date the voting period ends on each prop as well.  

Has anyone considered asking Wayne for the code to his nomicbot, so 
it can be used once again.  It was the most wonderful thing.

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 01:18:36 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Observer turned player (mentor - Guy Fawkes)

Uri Bruck wrote:

> John Duncan, an Ackanomic observer has decided to become a player
> Eir e-mail is [email-masked]
> E has chosen the Ackanomic name Lestrade.
> 
> We welcome him to Ackanomic.

His starting cash is A$ 557.  

Guy Fawkes ([email-masked]) is his mentor (sometimes I miss
these things at the end of long subject lines).

Welcome to the Game!

Malenkai
who sold his Whamiol at the bottom of the market

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 02:20:36 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Lantern Play

The monster ignores the fleeing men, and runs up to the framework
of the building under construction.  The first floor of the building
is mostly finished on the exterior, and the second floor has most
of the beams in place but little else.  The monster busts through
one wall of the building.  Inside, the building has only beams to
support the second floor.  The monster pushes some beams over,
collapsing part of the second floor, and busts a hole through another
wall on its way out of the building.

The foreman of the construction crew was hiding on this side of the
building.  As the monster comes out, the man draws a pistol and
fires at it.  The shot hits, but only enrages the beast, who charges
at the man.  The foreman dodges around the corner, buying a little
time, but the monster is right after him.  He realizes there is no
escape and tries throwing a jab to the monster's face, but finds
nothing solid, only an armful of muck.  The monster grabs him, beats
him once against the side of the building, knocking him out, and
carries him over his shoulder back into the marsh.

fight

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:27:49 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH 

>>> Whether or not I am (or am not) wearinga Silly Vacation Hat is surely a
>>> personal matter, one which should be treated with the utmost respect. Your
>>> vulgar attempts to drag this personal issue into the public forum is
>>> inexcusable. If you challenge me to a duel over this most private matter, I
>>> will be forced to challenge you to a duel for doing so.
>>
>>That wouldn't be legal.
>>Niccolo Flychuck
>
>I *am* the law!
>
>Robert Sevin, who may or may not be...
>Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

Now not onlty does Robert Sevin claim that the air above his head is a hat,
and not just any hat, but a SVH, he claims that he is the law!  What
blatant disregard for the rules! Or is he the rules too??? Certainly a duel
is in order... I must fight to uphold all that is good about Ackanomic!

snowgod
having fun

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:29:13 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: acka: Observer turned player (mentor - Guy Fawkes) 

>John Duncan, an Ackanomic observer has decided to become a player
>Eir e-mail is [email-masked]
>E has chosen the Ackanomic name Lestrade.
>
>We welcome him to Ackanomic.
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>Registrar

Welcome Lestrade.  Glad you decided to join us!

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:39:51 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Duel 

Would Malenkai care to referee the duel?

snowgod
who had the perfect limerick written

There once was a Harfmeister that
Took a lengthy vacation, but came back,
His vacation forgiven,
A hat he was Given...
[SNIP]

but unfortunately, since we aren't dueling with limericks, you'll never
know the end of the limerick!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:44:16 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Stuff I have to do 

Tommorow night is my history final (3 hour in-class essay if your
interested :).  Class ends at 10.  After I return home I will get the
voting results up to date, and release the PHP Poetry.  Sorry about the
delay on everything.... I'm trying to balance work, school, acka, and real
life all at once!

Oh yeah, Techno...  I don't have the proposal list in front of me right
now, but if you check /dev/joe's excellent web page you will find a list of
the proposals up for vote.  I believe all of the proposals that are
currently open for voting can be found at
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/prop1550.html

snowgod

BTW, who woul've believed that Stone Temple Pilots would be playing there
new years eve show in Anchorage?  Cool!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 07:34:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What Phoebe Says

I was standing in the main vault of the Monument to Futility, tinkering 
with the Chartreuse Goose foutain wondering why it wouldn't gush forth 
Right-handed Grapefruit Juice as it was designed to do.  Peering down the 
giant bronze bird's bill, I espied a red and blue matchbox, slightly 
battered from all its journeys, but nonetheless quite pretty.  I gathered 
that it must be blocking the pipe, thereby clogging the fountain.

I reached as far into the fountain's bill as I could, and finally, I 
removed the matchbox.  Still, the fountain would not flow.  And as I 
stood there, wondering what could possibly be the matter now, a clear, 
melodious voice behind me said, "Perhaps its because you don't have any 
Right-handed grapefruit juice to flow."

I turned around in surprise and awe, for there, hovering before my eyes 
and speaking such wisdom with that beautiful voice, was Phoebe, the steel 
flea.  Her tiny form was encircled by a halo of silver light, from which 
radiated sprirals of radiance.  Cool breezes seemed to emanate from her 
as I lay crumpled, tired and sweaty, in a useless fountain in that giant 
tower of my folly.  She was beautiful.

She said, "Strive as you may with wrench and snake, the fountain never 
shall flow.  For far beneath this tower, its pipes must pass through the 
ruleset, whose multitudinous convolutions block its flow.  Rearrange, 
then, consolidate, simplify, for just like the grapefruit juice, their 
convolutions often block the flow of fresh ideas to acka."  The light 
about her intnsified slightly, and she turned to go.

"But what about bugs?" I shouted.  She half turned back, smiling at me 
over her shoulder.  "Fear not bugs," she said.  With one last coy smile, 
she whispered, "Do you fear me, and an I not a bug?"  She then turned 
toward me once again and  approached, landing on my left head's nose.  My 
other head felt insane jealousy.  She knelt down, and I swear she would 
have kissed me, had not at that moment the Chartreuse Goose waddled in 
and bitten her right on my nose.  I guess I should have given that damn 
bird something to eat.  And as the Goose waddled out of the tower, 
sneering at my, I looked at the now empty matchbox lying in my hand, I 
ran to the highest part of the tower, and hurled it out over Acka, let 
the winds do with it what they may.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:43:35 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: Acka: Fictionary: Voting Time

>----------
>From: 	Bollinger, John C.
>Sent: 	Monday, December 09, 1996 10:28 AM
>To: 	[email-masked]'
>Subject: 	RE: Acka: Fictionary: Voting Time
>
>
>I vote for:
>
>2. A flat-bottomed boat with high flaring sides, sharp bow, and 
>deep V-shaped transom.
>
>ThinMan
>
P.S.: Sorry, /dev/joe.  I got confused about whether these votes
>should be posted publicly or privately.  TM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:52:00 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Super-User)
Subject: Acka: *ping* 

Today is Monday, the 9th day of December, in the Year of Our Lord 1996,
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 3 times.

Malenkai
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:22:21 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lantern Play

"fight" was burned.  That constitutes /dev/joe's third turn.

There are 43 cards in the deck.
2 cards have been burned.

There is one loose end:
        monster

Players:
        /dev/joe        has   4 cards.
        snowgod         has   7 cards.
        Habeous-Corpus  has   7 cards.
        Malenkai        has   7 cards.
        ThinMan         has   7 cards.
        Bascule         has   8 cards.

It is /dev/joe's turn.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:26:38 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Offical: Internomic 

The results for P315 and P316 have been distibuted.  On both proposals,
Thring and Agora voted FOR.  Ackanomic voted AGAINST.  Both proposals
failed.  There are no new proposals in the queue, but discussion is
beginning to heat up on the draft proposal for internomic justice, RFC'd by
Thring.

snowgod
ambassador

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:31:03 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Pumpkin Patch Nomic 

Pumpkin Patch nomic has finally appointed a GRAPE (Generically Replaceable
Ambassador Plenipotentiary Extrordinaire) , and is now read to enter the
internomic world.  I have begun discussions with the newly confirmed GRAPE
concerning relations between our two nomics.  Aditionally, the GRAPE, on
behalf of his entire nomic, has presented me, as representivie of ours, a
'virtual ice pumpkin' which I shall share with all of you!

snowgod

>I am empowered to present to you, for those whom you represent, on
>behalf of all of the Patchkins of the Pumpkin Patch, the following
>Virtual Ice Pumpkin.  May it symbolize the harmonious relations of our
>two worlds both now and forever.
>(Offering Virtual Ice Pumpkin, a.k.a. "VIP", to Ambassador Snowgod:)
>
>                                '
>                               [1]
>                              - - -
>                             - --- -
>                              - - -
>                                -

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:36:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; snowgod wins

Round seven is over (it has lasted more than 24 hours, and everyone has 
submitted their move).

snowgod attempted to grab mr cwm's donkey.  All other players covered 
their respective donkeys.  This results in the removal of mr cwm, 
breadbox, and ThinMan from the GAL as per section D of Rule 1276.  Only 
snowgod remains.

snowgod is now the Belt Holder and Wrangler.  He did not succesfully grab 
any donkeys during the game, and so he receives only 3 points.  He may 
now propose one change to the GAD rules, and he may call a new game at 
any time.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 12:37:34 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Duel!

Much as I'd like to be referee, I am about to go on vacation, and would
not be able to see it through to the end.  Sorry.  Maybe next time.

- -mr cwm

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Mohammed wrote:

>> I choose Ghost as our duelling Contest.
>	Very well.  We need a referee.  mr cwm, would you care to do the 
>honors?
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:42:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Duel!

Traditionally, (if we want to import from vastly inferior real-life 
culture) legalized duels are overseen by a government official to ensure 
that the participants are trying to kill each other like civilized men.  
snowgod, as President, would you do the honors?

Guy Fawkes 

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, mr cwm wrote:

> Much as I'd like to be referee, I am about to go on vacation, and would
> not be able to see it through to the end.  Sorry.  Maybe next time.
> 
> -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:45:38 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: A Duel! 

>Traditionally, (if we want to import from vastly inferior real-life
>culture) legalized duels are overseen by a government official to ensure
>that the participants are trying to kill each other like civilized men.
>snowgod, as President, would you do the honors?

I would happily, but I feel that there may be a conflict of interest as I
too am currently involved in a Duel of Ghost.  So sadly, I must decline.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:09:56 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Duel!

Okay, will *someone* *please* agree to referree the Ghost duel to 
commence between myself and Guy Fawkes?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:19:28 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

All my RL papers having been shuffled, and all my RL pencils pushed, I
hereby place myself on a vacation until January 3, 1997, which is an
expected duration of 25 days.

I'm sorry I'll miss the Presidential Election, but I wish to express my
support for Niccolo Flychuck.  snowgod has done an excellent job, but
I think Niccolo Flychuck has a unique perspective on Ackanomic, and I'd
like to see what he'll do as President.

And if the Re-Org passes, perhaps I won't need a Mentor when I return :)

I wish you all a pleasant winter holiday, and I'll see you next year!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:25:16 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A Duel!

>
>Okay, will *someone* *please* agree to referree the Ghost duel to 
>commence between myself and Guy Fawkes?

I am willing to perform that service.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:04:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A Duel!

Thank you very much.  As soon as you determine the playing order and 
inform the Gamesmaster that we beginning a game of Ghost, we can begin.

Also, I transfer 10 A$ to ThinMan for performing this service.

Guy Fawkes -10, misc
ThinMan +10, misc

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> >
> >Okay, will *someone* *please* agree to referree the Ghost duel to 
> >commence between myself and Guy Fawkes?
> 
> I am willing to perform that service.
> 
> ThinMan
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 14:12:34 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Greetings!

Ackanomians, thanks for the welcome! It is a pleasure to join you all. I
have become a subscriber to the FACT that the world is flat. I have a
few ideas that I will submit in the next few days, but for now it is
clear that I should find a house before the tornado comes on the 21st.
The accuracy of the weather forcasting here is remarkable! :)

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:31:34 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A Duel!

Guy Fawkes wrote:

>As soon as you determine the playing order and 
>inform the Gamesmaster that we beginning a game of Ghost, we can begin.

I have sent the appropriate message to the Gamesmaster.  My
understanding is that the game does not officially begin until he
publicly announces it.  When it does begin, it will be Guy Fawkes'
turn, and there will be no ghost word.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:50:34 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Official Dictionary, and Duels

> Okay, will *someone* *please* agree to referree the Ghost duel to 
> commence between myself and Guy Fawkes?
> 
> --Mohammed

After some consideration, I have decided to make the TWL96 list on MarlDOoM
the official dictionary for Ackanomic.

This dictionary happens to be the official word list for Scrabble
tournaments in the United States.  (Note that many common British
spellings and British words are included -- I would say most, but
I'm not sure that would be correct.)  The list consists of the Official
Scrabble Players' Dictionary, 3rd ed. plus the approximately 200 words
deleted between the 2nd and 3rd eds. of the OSPD (mainly vulgar words
and racial/ethnic terms) plus all the Scrabble-acceptable words of
9 to 15 letters in length from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary,
10th ed.

This dictionary does not contain:
  abbreviations
  contractions; words with apostrophes
  hyphenated words
  words always capitalized
  words longer than 15 letters
I hope this (particularly the last bit) doesn't bother anybody.
(The list is truncated in this way because longer words don't fit on
a Scrabble board.)  

There is a publically accessible way to look up words in this dictionary
on MarlDOoM; a username and password for MarlDOoM is not required.
Telnet to eel.st.usm.edu at port 7777 and enter the command
  ospd frobnotzer
(where "frobnotzer" is some word you want to look up)

The response will look something like
  connector_17 checks FROBNOTZER in TWL96.
  The word is unacceptable.

Now you can look up another word, or end you session with a quit command,
or otherwise closing your telnet session.

A drawback to this dictionary is that the full list cannot be downloaded,
but this was also true of all the other dictionaries I considered
better than the old official dictionary.

If you apply for a name and password for the server, you can do other
things, such as play Scrabble over the net and use the ACbot's
features to do various kinds of searches on the dictionary.

Now, given that, I'll be the referee for the Ghost duels in progress,
provided somebody tells me who's involved in each one.

/dev/joe
Web-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:08:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC 2 -- players consolidation

RFC 2
Players
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule with text as follows:
{{
Perform the following actions, in the order they appear.

- ----

I. [Registered players]
Renumber Rule 219 to 250.

II. [Player names]

Create a new rule, entitled, "Players' Names" with text as shown, delimited 
by ~ symbols.

~
Every player has exactly one Ackanomic name.  This name must be a string 
of legal characters from three to twenty characters in length.  Neither 
the first nor the last character in this string may be the space character.

A player may change his Ackanomic name, so long as the new name complies 
with all appliccable rules.  This shall be accomplished when the player 
announces his old name, new name, real name, and short explanation of the 
change.  The Registrar shall record the change.  When a player changes their 
Ackanomic name, all Ackanomic business will be changed to follow their 
new name.

When choosing or changing their Ackanomic name, no player may take any 
name previously held by any past or present player, unless they are the person 
who was previously registered under that Ackanomic name [no one could take the 
name pTan1001001sos unless they really were the Mark Nau who held that name 
previously.]  It is the Registrar's duty to make sure all names comply with 
this rule, and it is the Registrar's right to reject any name choosing or 
change which violates it. 
~

Renumber the just-created rule to 251.

Repeal Rule 570.

- ----

III. [Joining the Game]

Create a new rule, entitled "Joining the Game", with text as shown, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
A person wishing to register as a player should notify the registrar, 
providing a valid email adress and the legal Ackanomic name they wish to 
play under.  Upon them providing this information, the Registrar shall 
post a public message announcing the new player and providing their 
Ackanomic name and email adress, and if the prospective player provided it, 
their real name and how they discovered the game.  Upon the posting of such an 
announcement, the person becomes registered as a player.

If the just-registered player did not legally choose the name of an 
extant Undead as his Ackanomic name, he is a New player.

Upon the regisration of a New player, the following procedure takes 
place, in the order shown.
1) The New player is granted 1 kaa of urban land and a Small building 
thereupon as their legal residence.  This building shall be known as 
their Home.  This building shall also be known as "player name's House", 
where "player name" is replaced by their official Ackanomic name.  A player may 
change the name of this building by publically announcing the new name and 
unambiguously identifying the building they wish to rename.
2) The New player is paid from the Treasury the lesser of A$900 or the 
average A$balance of all other extant players.
3) The New player is given 100 newly created PFBonds associated with 
himself.  The Financier shall assign a label that may be used to refer 
to the PFBonds associated with the New player, although this procedure 
may continue without waiting for him to do so.
4) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player.  The Mentor 
receives A$25 from the Treasury. 

Upon a player legally taking the name of an existing Undead, the following 
procedure takes place, in the order shown.
1) The Undead which shares the player's name is destroyed.
2) All entities the just-destroyed Undead was haunting are given to the 
returning player.
3) All Bond Promissories in that player's name are converted to PFBonds; 
their label is the same is it was when these PFBonds were originally created.
4) All Tick Marks in that player's possession destroyed.  For every Tick 
Mark lost by this process, the player receives one point.
~

Renumber the just-created rule to 252. 

Amend Rule 666, step b to read, "b) All Undead stop haunting all 
Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit, Victory Eggplants, and 
Tick Marks.  Then, all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit, 
Victory Eggplants, and Tick Marks are destroyed."

Rename Rule 962.1 to "Bond Promissories and Tick Marks".  Change its text 
to read in full, "Bond Promissories exist.  They are Protected and 
Tradeable.  Bond Promissories are nameless entities.  Tick Marks exist; 
they are protected, nameless, non-tradeable entities."

In Rule 362, delete all text between the string "and treated as if he 
never joined the game" and the end of the paragraph, inclusive. Add a 
period to the end of this paragraph.

Amend the first paragraph of Rule 1051 to read, "When the Registrar must 
select a Mentor for a new player, he shall follow these guidelines.  No 
one may become a mentor except as specified in the rules."  Delete the 
sentence containing the string "A$25" from Rule 1051.

Repeal Rule 1026.

Delete the paragraph beginning, "Each player who has not previously..." 
from Rule 839.

[This next few bits attempts to account for either the passage of failure of 
reorg-1.  Please scrutinize carefully.]

If Proposal 1539 passed, do the following: (1) Delete the second 
paragraph of Rule 665, section I. (2) Delete the third paragraph of rule 507.

If Proposal 1539 did not pass, do the following: (1) Delete the second 
paragraph of Rule 480. (2) Delete the third paragraph of rule 481.

- ----

IV. [Player States]

Create a new rule, entitled, "Player States" with text as follows, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
At any given time, exactly one of these three states shall apply to a player.

Pending
Active
Vacation

Upon registration, a player is Pending.  A Pending player becomes Active 
when it becomes publically knowable that he has voted.

Only Active players may be randomly selected for anything.
~

Renumber the just-created rule to 253

Replace the last three paragraphs of Rule 457 with the following text, 
delimited by " symbols.
"
A player who has been On Vacation 14 days longer than the recorded expected 
duration is automatically Impeached from any offices he may hold.  A 
player who has been On Vacation 90 days longer than the recorded expected 
duration is deregistered from the game.

This rule has precedence over any mutable rule which conflicts in whole 
or in part with any of its provisions.
"
If R 1539 passed, remove the word "mutable" from the last sentence of R457.
Renumber R457 to 254.

In Rule 306, replace all occurrences of the string, "randomly chosen 
player" with "randomly chosen Active player".

Amend Rule 201, "Quorum and Active Players," to read, "In a vote on a 
proposal the quorum required is 50% of (the sum of the nuumber of On 
Vacation players who voted on the proposal and the number of Active players, 
less the number of players in Gaol)."

- ----

V. [Leaving the Game]

Create a new rule, entitled "Leaving Ackanomic," with text as follows, 
delimited by ~ symbols.

~
Upon a player leaving, the following procedure takes place, in the order 
shown.
1) All of his mimsy possessions are taken away and considered unowned.
2) The player is removed from all offices.
3) If the player was never at any time Active, all of his A$ are 
transferred to the Treasury, every PFBond associated with him is 
destroyed, every rented object in his possession reverts to its owner, every 
entity remaining in his possession is destroyed, and then the player is 
deregistered.  In this case, the procedure ends here.
4) If the player was at any time Active, the procedure continues.
5) Every PFBond assiciated with him is converted into a Bond Promissory 
in his real life name.
6) He receives newly created Tick Marks equal to his score.  If that 
score is negative, exactly zero Tick Marks are created.
7) An Undead is created, with the same name as the Player, and haunting all 
the player's remaining possessions.
8) All these haunted possessions become unowned and go into the Treasury.
9) The player is deregistered.
~

Add, to the end of Rule 964, "d) During the creation and destruction of 
Undead, it is possible that an Undead and a player shall have the same 
name for an infitessimal amount of time.  Under these circumstances, this 
is acceptible."
}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 18:07:24 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

Phil Ackley wrote:
 
> Would Malenkai care to referee the duel?

Sure.

Construe this as an official message to the GamesMaster indicating
the start of a game of Ghost:

Players
- -------
Robert Sevin
snowgod

Referee
- -------
Malenkai

Once the GamesMaster acks this message, I shall start the game.  (Perhaps
this procedure can be streamlined a little better).

As a political officer, I announce the start of this Duel.  May the
Harfiest player win!

Malenkai
referee

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:19:06 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary: Voting Time

My vote:

> 6. A small metal plate attached to the breast of a suit of armor,
> usu. decorated with an identifying symbol.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 18:38:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC 2 -- players consolidation

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> RFC 2
> Players
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

> I. [Registered players]
> Renumber Rule 219 to 250.

I would get in the habit of quoting the name of the rule as well, e.g:

Renumber R 219 "Registered Players", to 250

Its easier for me, anyway.
 
> Every player has exactly one Ackanomic name.  This name must be a string
> of legal characters from three to twenty characters in length.  Neither
> the first nor the last character in this string may be the space character.

Use the phrase "name characters" from Mohammed's rewrite, not "legal
characters".  You may also be able to reuse some other part of that rewrite
for the 3 to 20 bit, I'm not sure if he made all entities fall under that
limit.
 
> A person wishing to register as a player should notify the registrar,

Replace "register as a player" with "join the game" (nit picky :), but
capitalize "Registrar".

> providing a valid email adress and the legal Ackanomic name they wish to
> play under.

Require their real name as well.  We all had to give it, and the name
change rule above requires it as well, so this is inconsistent.  Moreover,
"For Personal Glory..." will break if they are permitted to not have a
real name, and the standard notation of the rules will break as well.
I would have loved to play without my real name, but we should be 
consistent.

> Upon them providing this information, the Registrar shall
> post a public message announcing the new player and providing their
> Ackanomic name and email adress, and if the prospective player provided it,
> their real name and how they discovered the game. 

Try to make the language stronger requiring the registrar to get the
poll question, or is that handled by the registrar rule?  I believe it
is, on second thought.

> 4) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player.  The Mentor
> receives A$25 from the Treasury.

Do you talk about welcome packet anywhere?  At some point, I would like
to require that the registrar provide the name and e-mail address of
the mentor in the welcome packet.  One thing on my docket is to rewrite
that welcome packet anyway.
 
> Upon a player legally taking the name of an existing Undead, the following
> procedure takes place, in the order shown.
> 1) The Undead which shares the player's name is destroyed.

Does the Undead have to stop haunting first?  Can he haunt after being
destroyed :)

> Rename Rule 962.1 to "Bond Promissories and Tick Marks".  Change its text
> to read in full, "Bond Promissories exist.  They are Protected and
> Tradeable.  Bond Promissories are nameless entities.  Tick Marks exist;
> they are protected, nameless, non-tradeable entities."

You do not need "protected" anymore.

> 
> Amend the first paragraph of Rule 1051 to read, "When the Registrar must
> select a Mentor for a new player, he shall follow these guidelines.  No
> one may become a mentor except as specified in the rules."  Delete the
> sentence containing the string "A$25" from Rule 1051.
> 
> Repeal Rule 1026.

These 2 paragraphs are cases where I really could have used the title
as well as the number.  You should renumber "Mentors" while you are 
here, IMHO, up with the other player rules.  Your call.

> Upon registration, a player is Pending.  A Pending player becomes Active
> when it becomes publically knowable that he has voted.

Add "on a proposal" at the end of this sentence.

[457 rewrite]

Search the rules for "On Ice", if you must remove it :(.
Rearch the rules for "457", and renumber 457 with the rest of them.

> 6) He receives newly created Tick Marks equal to his score.  If that
> score is negative, exactly zero Tick Marks are created.

I thought we set a player's score to 0 when they left, unless it was
negative, in which case we kept it.  In this case, it looks like a loophole
for a player with a negative score to get rid of it.  Of course, such 
a player could submit 60 + their score CFJs and retract them to achieve
the same effect, something I've never liked about that -60 rule.  Wayne
wrote a really cool proposal ages ago, I do not remember the number,
which is an excellent demonstration of this principle.  I know its no
big deal, but it was a fun looking proposal.  Sorry for digressing.

The more I think about it, I do not like the Tick Marks.  Just set 
their score to zero, unless it was negative.  That is my opinion, anyway.
Anyone else?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:45:09 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 1 Results

All Bluffers have voted for the first round of Fictionary.
The actual definition of the word was number 5,
  "A small stone or chunk of rock."

There were a couple other definition for dornick in the on-line
dictionaries; these were types of linen or damask fabrics, also
spelled dornock.

Player       Definition voted for  Definition written
snowgod               1                    1
Habeous Corpus        7                    3
breadbox              1                    6
Malenkai              4                    7
ThinMan               2                    4
Guy Fawkes            6                    2

Scoring:
  Step 5a.i from the game rules:  Each Bluffer receives 1 Gamepoint for
  every player other than himself who voted for his definition.

Malenkai, snowgod, ThinMan, Guy Fawkes, and breadbox each receive 1 Gamepoint.
snowgod sheeped and does not score a point for doing so.

  Step 5a.ii:  A Bluffer receives 2 Gamepoints if he voted for the Actual
  Definition.

No player scores here.  Our bluffers this round were better at bluffing
than calling each others' bluffs.

  Step 5a.iii:  If no one voted for the Actual Definition, the Brainiac
  receives 2 Gamepoints.

I receive 2 Gamepoints.

Fictionary Scores:
Player        Score this round  Cumulative score
- -------------  -------------     --------------
/dev/joe             2                 2
snowgod              1                 1
Thinman              1                 1
Guy Fawkes           1                 1
breadbox             1                 1
Malenkai             1                 1
Habeous Corpus       0                 0

snowgod is the next Brainiac.

ThinMan's definition, "Suitable for use as adornment", was not of the
same part of speech as the Ing word and may be ridiculed by rule 5e.

/dev/joe
Former Brainiac, now a Bluffer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:11:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC 2 -- players consolidation

> > Rename Rule 962.1 to "Bond Promissories and Tick Marks".  Change its text
> > to read in full, "Bond Promissories exist.  They are Protected and
> > Tradeable.  Bond Promissories are nameless entities.  Tick Marks exist;
> > they are protected, nameless, non-tradeable entities."
> 
> You do not need "protected" anymore.
	Also, (being picky) Tick Marks do not necessarily exist.  There 
aren't any now and won't be at the time the rule is created.
	You could just "Bond Promissories are tradeable entities.  Tick
Marks are non-tradeable entities."  (Namelessness is the default, and very
few of the other rules go out of their way to explicitly say that 
something is nameless.)

> The more I think about it, I do not like the Tick Marks.  Just set 
> their score to zero, unless it was negative.  That is my opinion, anyway.
> Anyone else?
	Me too, but for a different reason.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:13:58 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A Duel!

Guy Fawkes:
> Also, I transfer 10 A$ to ThinMan for performing this service.
> Guy Fawkes -10, misc
> ThinMan +10, misc

	Hah!  Shameless.  It's a good thing ThinMan is incorruptibly 
above such nonsense, or I'd have to accuse you of bribery most vile.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 20:06:36 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Financial Report

Bi-weekly financials.

All player entity/attribute holdings can be found at

http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayp.htm

Malenkai
Financier

- ------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Yields (debt) per bond:

.99     Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
.68     Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
.31     Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
.38     /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
.40     mr cwm               V   (Eric Murray)
.31     Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
.13     Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
.13     ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
.37     Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
.25     breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
.48     snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley)
.04     fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
.01     AirHead              N   (Eric Freeman)
.01     Jammer               N   (John Lotz)
.01     Swann                N   (Steven Swiniarski)
.01     Clairence            N   (Clair Anthony Viglione)
.00     Lestrade             N   (John Duncan)
.00     Techno               N   (Jerome Herrman)
(.04)   Robert Sevin         A   (Mitchell Harding)
.01     Bascule              Av  (Matt Black)

- ------------------------------------------------------

II.  Profit (loss) based on player holdings, in A$s [account balance]

Airhead: 1 [565]
Bascule: 1 [626]
breadbox: 25 [576]
CnH: 37 [314]
Clairence: 1 [600]
/dev/joe: 68 + 1.3 + 15.5 = 85 [1692]
fnord: 3.96 + .48 + .25 + .40 = 6 [629]
Guy Fawkes: 51 + 9.3 + 9.3 + 12 = 82 [418]
Habeous Corpus: 7 [690]
Jammer: 1 [597]
Malenkai: 80 [1238]
Mohammed: 10.4 + 9.6 = 20 [167]
mr cwm: 39.6 + .04 = 40 [401]
Niccolo: 16 [221]
Robert Sevin: (4) [493]
snowgod: 20.16 + 2.6 + 6.2 + 9.9 = 39 [224]
Swann: 1 [598]
ThinMan: 11.7 + 9.9 = 22 [969]
Lestrade: 0 [557]
Techno: 0 [52]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

III.  Log since last report.  Report any errors/ommissions  

Log started 11/25, 21:00

/dev/joe +50 scholar

guy +2 correction
malenkai -2 correction
snowgod -1 correction

Malenkai +90 -Whamiol
snowgod -90 +Whamiol

/dev/joe +8 ghost referee

malenkai -50 +1 trinket

malenkai +25 mentor for airhead
niccolo +25 mentor for jammer

snowgod -35 tammany p 1451-1461
mohammed -30 tammany p 1451-1461

malenkai +2 ep P 1452

mohammed -250 wizard seat

/dev/joe +100 salary
guy fawkes +25 salary
malenkai +110 salary
niccolo +75 salary
guy fawkes -18 goose

snowgod +25 mentor
bascule +25 mentor

habeous -500 misc xfer
snowgod +500 

snowgod -39 +1 frobnotzer

malenkai -15 tammany P 1465-1486
malenkai +10 ep P 1465-1486

habeous +499 misc xfer
snowgod -499
 
malenkai +15 misc transfer
snowgod -15

malenkai +70 back pay bug in R 615 from P 1401

Niccolo -50 misc
Guy Fawkes +50 misc

malenkai -52 misc
techno +52 misc
malenkai -10PBF Techno, Techno +10 same

snowgod -9 frinking for parade

malenkai -227 +1 wizard

guy fawkes +2 ep P (Tuba)

snwogod -3 frinking for php

Malenkai +35 R 615 bug
guy +25 mentor

Guy Fawkes -10, misc
ThinMan +10, misc

+Bond Yields

Log ended 12/9 20:00

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #389
*******************************