Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #387
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, December 8 1996       Volume 01 : Number 387

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:10:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: retracting 1516

Dec 8 10:04 EST: -2 Guy Fawkes: retraction 1516

I hereby retract proposal 1516.

Guy Fawkes
Good night, sweet Gnome, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 10:07:43 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Wizard

Malenkai has won the Wizard seat auction with a bid of A$ 227.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:19:18 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; round 7

Round seven of Grab-a-Donkey II, Revenge of the Mules, is beginning!

The results of round 6:

mr cwm successfully grabbed Bascule's donkey.
Mohammed and fnord grabbed each others' donkeys.
snowgod grabbed ThinMan, who covered.
breadbox covered.
Bascule admired.

Current GAL:

snowgod
mr cwm (+1)
ThinMan (+1)
breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:25:35 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1535

Proposal 1535 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:20 CST 1996
Otzma Card Type Amazing Hoover Building Mover
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called, "Amazing Hoover Building 
Mover."
2. This type of card may only be played in the public forum.
3. When playing this card, the player playing it must name a currently 
dangling building.  Upon the completion of this incantation, a giant vacuum 
cleaner shall rise from the ground near that building's emergency tether, suck 
it back to earth, reattach its suction cups, and then return to the 
dimension from whence it came.
4. Counteraction: The reattached building loses its suction cups and once 
again dangles.  In addition, there is a 50% chance that the Home of the 
player who Countered the Amazing Hoover Building Mover card, if such a 
building exists, shall lose its suction cups and dangle.
5. There may be at most 15 Otzma Cards of this type in existence.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:25:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1536

Proposal 1536 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:21 CST 1996
More of Them Bonuses
Niccolo Flychuck

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Them Bonuses" which contains the
following text:
"
When a proposal, which is not Modest, is accepted and the number of
players who cast No Votes was equal to or less than 2, a Bonus Vote is
created and given to the author of the proposal. 
When a proposal, which is not Modest, fails and exactly one player voted
Yes on it, a Bonus Vote is created and given to that player. 
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:26:08 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1537

Proposal 1537 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:21 CST 1996
Zap!
Clairence (Clair Viglione)

My proposal is to make a rule that would allow players to attempt to "zap"
other players, rendering them unable to submit ANY mail to this game of
Nomic for one (1) day. The details are below:

                Only one person may zap per standard 24 hour day. This
would require that someone makes a schedule of who's turn it is to zap and
when. Now, zapping is handled through your imaginary "zap gun". If it is
your day to zap, you send a message to Guy Fawkes, or whoever has gotten
his position that he holds at the date of this message, that you want to
zap (whoever you want to zap). Then, the person you sent that message to
rolls a six sided die, this die roll is may be affected by modifiers, but
they will be described later, after what happens when you roll the die is
described now:

    If you roll a:

      1: Not only do you miss your zap, but your gun blows up, causing you
minus two points, as well as you not being able to zap on your next zap
turn. (on that day, NO ONE will zap.)
      2: You miss your zap, no pentalties.
      3: You hit, but not the person you expected to hit! (The person in
charge must make a RANDOM determination as to who is hit.
      4: You came close to hitting, but your zap bounced off a mirror and
came back to hit YOU! You now experience the effects of the zap.
      5: You hit your target, causing normal affects (as described above)
      6: You critically hit your target, making them not able to submit any
mail for two (2) days!

   Modifiers:

    1. If a person has never zapped, they get a minus one pentalty. (if you
rolled 6 they would get 5, ect.)
    2. If a person has zapped more than 5 times, they get a plus one bonus.
    3. If a person has zapped more than 15 times, they get a plus two bonus.
    4. If a person has zapped 100 times or more, they have "mastered"
zapping. When Guy Fawkes (or whoever has his position that he has at the
time of this mail) rolls the dice for the zap master, he only rolls a 3
sided die. 1 on the die is equal to 4 on the six sided die, 2 on the three
sided is equal to 5 on the six sided, and 3 on the three sided is equal to
6 on the six sided.

   Also, people can get skills that allow them to avoid being zapped, as
described below:

    1. If the person being zapped has never been zapped, the attacked gets
a plus 1 bonus!
    2. If the defender has been zapped more than 10 times, the attacker
gets a minus 1 pentalty!
    3. If the defender has been zapped more than 50 times, the attacker
gets a minus 2 pentalty!
    4. If a defender has been zapped more than 100 times, he/she has said
to have "mastered" avoiding being zapped. The attacker gets a -4 pentalty,
unless the attacker is a master of attack, in which case there are no
pentalties.

      Misc. Rules:

      If, after the modifiers being applied to an attack roll, the result
is a negative number, count it is a 1.
      If, after modifiers, the attack roll result is greater than 6, treat
it as a 6.

   _PLEASE_ thikn before you vote on this rule, as it will bring a whole
new aspect of play into the game, and it will also bring in some mild
violence.

   BTW, this is only me 3rd proposal!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:26:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1538

Proposal 1538 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:21 CST 1996
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (aka Saving Grace)
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal

Change the name of R 542 to, "Political Parties."

Replace the second sentence of R 542 with, "A party is a sufficiently 
large group of players that declare themselves a Political Party and have 
a valid Charter."

Replace the paragraph beginning, "Any Player may create, join, or leave" 
with, "Any player may create, join or leave a Political Party at any 
time, but no Player may be a member of more than one Politcal Party at 
any one time.  If a Player joins or leaves a Political Party, he must 
declare it publically.  A Party must have at least three members at the 
time of its creation.  A Party, less than one month old, whose membership 
falls below three ceases to exist.  A Party older than one month whose 
membership is less than three for seven consecutive days ceases to 
exist.  A Party whose membership falls below three for the second time in 
a single calendar month ceases to exist."

{{[The time when parties who were undermanned for a day or so could 
reconstitute themselves with no harm is past.  Now, with party chess, 
what was once a minor nuissance is a major setback.  Take the Underworld 
early in September, for instance.  De'ghew's quitting caused the UW to 
cease to exist, but it was back again within the day.  Fortunately, 
PartyChess was then in the piece-buying stage; today, it would be a much 
bigger problem.  True, while parties should be able to plan membership 
changes in advance, there will always be a few sudden circumstances where 
that is impossible, and a "grace period" is suitable for these situations.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:26:58 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1539

Proposal 1539 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:22 CST 1996
Reorganization I
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

[Hopefully a first step towards making the rules easier to navigate
(especially for newbies) and lay the goundwork for tiers, power, or
whatnot, or an LRO sort of rule organization and re-org II and III :)]

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule with the following text:

{{

perform the following actions in the order specified:

- -------------------------------------------------------------------

I. [get rid of R 101's binding mutability on the low number rules, and
    make them all mutable.]

a) Transmute R 101 to mutable.
b) Amend R 101 to remove the sentence which reads:
 
"Until such time as they are legally transmuted, Rules 101-115 are
immutable, and Rules 201-219 are mutable."

c) Transmute every rule which is not mutable to mutable.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

II. [fold R 101, 110, 111, 115, 592 into 101]

a) Amend R 101 so that its title is "The Game of Ackanomic", and so that
its text is:

"
      Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of ules.  All players must
always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they
are then in effect, and interpreted in accordance with current game
custom.

     The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in
the rules.  Actions described in the rules may only be performed, and
shall only have those effects, as specified by the rules.  Whatever is
not explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules, however, is
permitted and unregulated.  Game custom, spirit of the game, and
lingusitic interpretation are external concepts and are not regulated
or part of the game state.

     The game consists of a sequence of "Cycles".  Cycles end when
specified by the Rules. At most one Cycle is in progress at any one time.
A player may only win a Cycle by achieving a winning condition that
is defined by the Rules.  A player may not win the Game of Ackanomic.
A player always has the option to leave the Game of Ackanomic.

     This rule has precedence over all other rules.
"

b) Repeal R 108, "Mutable/Immutable Inconsistencies" [nuke the axe]
c) Repeal R 110, "The Game and Winning" [folded into R 101]
d) Repeal R 111, "Leaving The Game" [folded into R 101]
e) Repeal R 115, "Permissibility Of The Unprohibited" [folded into R 101]
f) Repeal R 113, "Rule Changes That Affect Rule Changing Rules" [do we
need this?]
g) Repeal R 592, "Protection" [folded into R 101]

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

III.  [bring back Rule Changes to 103 where it belongs, merge in the
parts of R 106 that apply to rule changes, remove transmutation, and
remove R 106.  Point to R 104 explictly for clarity]

a) Amend R 491 so that its title is "Proposals and Rule Changes", and
so that its text is:

"
      A proposal is any collection of text designated as a proposal,
submitted and distributed as described in Rule 104. If a proposal is
accepted, any valid rule changes in the proposal are applied, one at a
time, in the order in which they appear, starting at the time its
tabulated voting results are officially reported.  This is considered
the "time of application", or "when the rule changes are applied".
 
      A rule change is a description of a game effect.  A rule change
is valid if it describes the creation of a new rule, the amendment of
an existing rule, the repeal of an existing rule, or the renumbering of
an existing rule. If an accepted proposal does not refer to amending,
repealing, renumbering, or creating rules, then it is treated as a valid
rule change to create a new rule with the entire body of the proposal
as its text; this implicit creation of a new rule is only applied in
the case defined in this sentence.

     If an amendment to a rule does not unambiguously describe
the amendment to take place, it is not a valid rule change. Rule changes
not defined as valid by the rules are invalid.

      When a valid rule change takes effect, at its time of application,
the effect described by the rule change happens. The adoption of an
invalid rule change has no effect.

      No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a
time before the generation of the effect.  A rule change that would
have effects retroactive to before the time of its application is invalid.
"

b) Renumber R 491 to 103.
c) Repeal R 106, "When Proposals Can Take Effect" [sucked into 103 and 217]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

IV.  [merge R 104 and R 105; make the language a little more concrete]

a) Repeal R 105, "Proposals Must Be Written Down"
b) Amend R 104, "Adopting Proposals" to read:

"
      Proposals are made by e-mailing them to the Promoter, who shall
distribute them to the players to be voted on. Accepted proposals must
guide play in the form in which they were distributed to the players.

      All such proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted,
nullified, or deemed invalid in accordance with the Rules. In these cases,
they are removed from consideration, and are considered to be neither
accepted or rejected.

      When a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, or all players have
cast a vote on a proposal, then that proposal is accepted if a quorum has
been achieved and the required number of YES votes were cast on the
proposal.
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

V.  [bring the voting rule right up here next, between submitting proposals,
and quorum and acting players]

a) Amend R 390 so that its title is "Voting on Proposals".
b) Renumber R 390 to 106.
c) Amend R 201, "Quorum and Active Players", to replace all occurrances
of "390" with "106".
d) Amend R 793, "Proposal Bribery", to replace all occurrances of
"390" with "106".

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

VI.  [put when scoring changes take effect after the scoring rule,
207.  I see Mohammed is going to bring "Modesty and Pride" up to 209.
That should work well.]
 
a) Renumber R 1089.2 "When Score Changes Take Effect" to 208.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

VII.  [the precedence rule]

a) Amend R 210 so that its title is "Resolving Precedence Conflicts", and
to replace

"
If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if two or
more immutable rules conflict with one another
"

with

"
If two or more rules conflict with one another
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIII.  [put the judgement rules back where they belong, with their brothers]

a) Renumber R 589, "Invoking Judgement" to 211.
b) Renumber R 588, "Selecting A Judge" to 212.
c) Renumber R 569, "Overturning Judgements" to 217.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

IX.  [clarify temporal stuff about CFJs, fold the CFJ part of old R 106 into
here]

a) Amend R 215, "Judgements Must Accord With The Rules", to read:

"
      All Judgements must be in accordance with all the rules in effect
at the time judgement was invoked, and with respect to the game state at
that time.  When the rules are silent, inconsistent, or unclear on the
statement in question, however, then the Judge shall consider currently
existing game custom and the spirit of the game in reaching a decision.

      A statement verified (or nullified) by judgement applies
retroactively to any past game situation it may concern.
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

X.  [put all the winning conditions in one place]

a) Amend R 422 so that its title is "Winning by Points".
b) Amend R 422 to replace:
"
Making this determination is a duty of the Office of Scorekeeper, and
this clause supercedes any mutable rule which would deny the Scorekeeper
this duty.
"
with:
"
Making this determination is a duty of the Scorekeeper.
"

c) Renumber R 422 to 220.

d) Amend R 798 so that its title is "Winning by Palindrome".
e) Renumber R 798 to 221.

f) Amend R 1430 so that its title is "Winning by Finding the Crystal Chalice"
g) Renumber R 1430 to 222.

h) If R 1501 exists, amend it so that its title is "Vault Divination", and
renumber it to 222.1

i) Renumber R 1243, "Chartreuse Goose" to 235.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XI.  [Consolidate Political Party Rules]

a) Renumber R 391, "Rewarding Party Unity" to 543.
b) Amend R 542 so that its title is "Political Parties".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

XII.  [put all the office stuff in one place, pTangs general office
rules followed by the specific offices]

a) Amend R 609, "Offices, Commonalities" to replace

"Offices are named, unownable entities."

with

"
Offices are named, unownable entities, unless the rules specify otherwise
for a particular office.
"

and to replace

"A Seat of an Office is an unownable entity."

with:

"
A Seat of an Office is an unownable entity, unless the rules specify
otherwise for a particular Office or Seat.
"
[the preceeding is needed to make Wizard and Capital Swinger work as
tradeable offices.  As it stands now, Wizard works because of its higher
precedence, but Capital Swinger does not.  Renumbering the rule will
give it higher precedence, though.]

b) Renumber R 609, "Offices, Commonalities", to 401.

c) Renumber R 611, "Offices, Related Definitions", to 402.

d) Amend R 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities", to replace
all occurrances of "609" with "401".
e) Renumber R 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities", to 403.

f) If Proposal 1503 was accepted, amend R 613 "Offices, Impeachment"
to place the following sentence at the beginning of the rule:
"
This rule defers precedece to rule 593 where there is a conflict.
"

otherwise, amend R 613 to replace
"
      This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
"
with
"
      This Rule takes precedence over all rules, except that it defers
to rule 593.
"

g) Renumber R 613, "Offices, Impeachment", to 404.

h) Renumber R 615, "Speaker" to 405.

i) Renumber R 396 to 406, and change its title to "Promoter".
j) Renumber R 411 to 407, and change its title to "Web-Harfer".
k) Renumber R 414 to 408, and change its title to "Tabulator and Count 
Tabula".

l) Renumber R 424 to 409, and change its title to "Registrar".
m) Renumber R 425 to 410, and change its title to "Scorekeeper".
n) Renumber R 478 to 411, and change its title to "Senate".
o) Renumber R 482 to 412, and change its title to "Financier and the Free
Market".
p) Renumber R 489 to 413, and change its title to "Clerk of the Court".
q) Renumber R 504 to 414, and change its title to "President".
r) Renumber R 973, "Presidential Decisions", to 415.
s) Renumber R 507 to 416, and change its title to "Supreme Court".
t) Renumber R 508, "Justices Rock", to 417.
u) Renumber R 563, "Justices Are Keeper Of The Sacred Laws" to 418.
v) Renumber R 583 to 419, and change its title to "Ambassador".
w) Renumber R 621, "Historian", to 420.
x) Renumber R 695, "Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy" to 
421.
y) Renumber R 832, "Postmaster", to 422.
z) Renumber R 895, "Map-Harfer", to 423.
aa) Renumber R 1271, "Poet Laureate" to 424.
bb) Renumber R 1374, "Praetor" to 425.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XIII.  [put all the financial stuff in one place, after the entity stuff.
Merge Treasury and A$s, bring Treasury up as the first financial rule,
then bring the other financial rules in behind it].

[heads up, Guy, this will clash with yours]

a) Change the title of R 665 to "Treasury and AckaDollars" and change its
text to:

"
I. AckaDollars

      The AckaDollar (A$) is the official currency of Ackanomia.

      Each player who has not previously been granted A$ by application
of this rule shall be granted the lesser of A$900, or the average A$
balance of all other existing players, from the Treasury.

      AckaDollars are gift entities.

II. Treasury:

      The Treasury is a named, unownable entity that serves as a
storing house for entities that belong to no Player. Items owned by
the Treasury are said to be "in the Treasury", and they may not be
manipulated in any way except as explicitly allowed by the Rules.

III. Hard Currency:
      
      AckaDollars may not be created nor destroyed. This Rule has
precedence over any Rule that would create or destroy A$. Whenever the
Rules specify that a Player should receive A$, and do not indicate
where those A$ should come from, they shall come from the Treasury.
Whenever the Rules specify that a Player should lose A$, and do not
indicate where those A$ should go to, or specify that they should be
destroyed, they shall go to the Treasury instead. The total number
of A$ shall always be 75,000.

IV. No Ackapennies:
      
      A$ may not be broken into fractional AckaDollars. If the Rules
specify a transfer should be made that includes a fractional reckoning
of A$, the transaction will instead be conducted in an integer number
of A$, and the rounding shall be in favor of the Player or entity
receiving A$.

V. Bankrupt Treasury:
      
      Whenever some number of Players are to receive A$ from the
Treasury, and there are insufficient available A$ to meet those
obligations, the following process is executed:

      a) If there are no A$ being haunted by Undead, skip to step (d) of this
process.
      b) Each Undead stops haunting 10% (round up) of the A$ it is haunting.
      c) If there are still insufficient available A$ to meet the
obligations, the process returns to step (a).
      d) If there are sufficient available A$ to meet to the obligations, the
obligations are met, and the
      process ends.
      e) The remaining available A$ in the treasury shall be given to the
players in proportion to the
      number of A$ owed each player.

VI. Donation:
      
      A player may donate any non-mimsy Tradeable or gift entity they
own to the Treasury by publically announcing they are doing so. If the
item is a Trinket, it is converted into its value in A$ upon transferrence
to the Treasury.
"

b) Renumber R 665 to 505.
c) Repeal R 480, "AckaDollars".

d) Renumber R 1348.1, "Trinkets", to 506.

e) Renumber R 481, "PF Bonds", to 507.
f) Change the title of R 565 to "Bond Yields", then renumber the rule to
508.

g) Change the title of R 510 to "Voluntary Debt Prohibited".

h) Renumber R 1098, "in Debt" to 511.
i) Renumber R 1318, "Bond Options", to 512.
j) Renumber R 1323, "Rental", to 513.

k) Renumber R 1416.5, "Trading and Gifts", to 515.

l) Renumber R 683, "ExtraNomic Entities" to 501. [put this with the entity
stuff while were here].

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

XIV.  [End Cycle consolidations.  Move some of the end of cycle stuff up
after R 666.]

a) Renumber R 790, "Fat Lady". to 667.
b) Renumber R 867, "Eggs and Fruit", to 668.
c) Renumber R 1314, "Marks of the Champion" to 669.
d) Renumber R 1268, "Commission d'Arts" to 670.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

XV.  [Criminal Justice consolidations, early 700s]

a) Renumber R 1067, "Cow Town Hotel", to 714.
b) Renumber R 1298, "in Contempt", to 715.
c) Renumber R 1300, "Patent Infringement", to 716.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

XVI. [Locations and Buildings, mid 800s]

a) Renumber R 1108, "Locations", to 835.
b) Renumber R 1018, "Hotels", to 836.
c) Renumber R 767, "Nothing Important", to 837.
d) Renumber R 1099, "Hall of Elders", to 843.
e) Renumber R 894, "Map" to 845.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

XVII.  [Rule naming, numbering, etc, mid 400s]

a) Amend R 452, "Rule Titles", to change its title to "Proposal and Rule
Titles", and to replace the word "name" with "Title" in the last
sentence of the second paragraph.

b) Renumber R 642, "Proposal amd Rule Numbering" to 453.
c) Renumber R 682, "For Personal Glory..." to 454.
d) Renumber R 822, "Revision Numbers" to 455.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

XVIII. [A couple of oddballs closer to what they are related to]

a) Renumber R 870, "Self Deleting Text", to 546.
b) Renumber R 939, "Party Hall Party", to 727.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

XIX.  [If I had the time, move religious/church stuff to high 700s, subgame
stuff to 1200s, physics to 1300s.  Re org II reminder :)]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

XX.  [Press Consolidation]

a) Amend R 891, "The Press", to append the following paragraph at the
end of the Rule:

"
It is a Crime for a Player to refuse to publish, in a newspaper he or
she owns, a correction of an untrue statement that previously appeared
in that newspaper, after a public request for such a correction has
been made. Simply neglecting to publish such a correction for a period
of three days or more after the request shall be taken as refusal to do
so.
"

b) Repeal R 892, "Journalistic Integrity".

c) Repeal R 1130, "Senate Seat Names".  [Its only use is if the size of
the senate changes.  If this happens, which seems unlikely, worry about
it in that proposal.]

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXI.  [Bad Pointer Fixup]

a) Amend R 709, "Gaol", to delete section 7), and to renumber section 8)
to 7) in the allowable actions list.  Also replace all occurrances of
"115" with "101" in the rule.

b) Amend R 208, "When Score Changes Take Effect", to remove all occurrances
of "This clause defers to R 106 where there is a conflict.".

c) Amend R 208, "When Score Changes Take Effect", to remove all occurrances
of ", except as permitted by R 106".

d) Amend R 208, "When Score Changes Take Effect", to replace all occurrances
of "588" with "212", "569" with "217", and ", 798" with "".

e) Amend R 716, "Patent Infringement", to replace all occurrances of "665"
with "505".

f) Amend R 1348.2, "Buried Treasure!", to replace all occurrances of "665"
with "505".

g) Amend R 714, "Cow Town Hotel", to replace all occurrances of "1018"
with "836".

h) Amend R 1237, "Fulfilling Campaign Promises" to replace all occurrances
of "939" with "727".

i) Amend R 1313, "Purple Robe of Justice", to replace all occurrances of
"588" with "212".

j) Amend R 235, "Chartreuse Goose", to replace

"This clause takes precedence over R 219, R 422, and any other mutable
rule which establishes winning conditions."

with

"
This clause takes precedence over any other rule which establishes
winning conditions.
"

k) Replace all occurrances of "609" with "401" in rules 402 and 403, and
in R 457, if it exists.

l) Replace all occurrances of "611" with "402" in rule 401.
m) Replace all occurrances of "612" with "403" in rule 401.

n) In rules 208, 726, and 593, replace all occurrances of "613" with "404".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXII.  [Contingincies for the proposals currently in the queue, through
P 1534]

a) If Proposal 1496 was accepted, renumber R 1496 to 847.
b) If Proposal 1497 was accepted, renumber R 1497 to 848.

c) If Proposal 1522 was accepted, amend R 408, "Tabulator and Count Tabula",
to replace all occurrances of "611" with "402", and "613" with "404".

d) If Proposal 1529 was accepted, replace all occurrances of "1243"
with "235" in the rule created by Proposal 1529.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

XXIII.  [Removing "mutable"]

Remove every occurrance of the word "mutable" and the word "Mutable" 
from every rules.  [This looks like it will work, although it will be
time consuming for the Web-Harfer :( More on that later].

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXIV.  [Removing "immutable"]

a) Amend R 457 to remove ", or perform any action permitted by an Immutable
Rule".

b) Amend R 714, "Cow Town Hotel", to remove "unless it is allowed by an
immutable rule".

c) Amend R 1330, "Telepathy, Telekinesis, and Side Effecs", to remove
 "(unless immutable)".

d) If Proposal 1491 was accepted, amend R 513, "Rental", to remove
", or any action permitted by an immutable rule".

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

XXV.  [Hard Work Deserves Good Pay]

a) A$57 is transferred from the Treasury to the Web-Harfer.

b) An Automatic Sculpture is created and transferred to the author of
the proposal who created this rule [which shall soon be buried.  Don't
worry, its nothing free for me].

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXVI.  [Everything should just be a rule, like other games]

Remove the attribute of "Mutable" from all rules which have that attribute.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:14:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Re Org again

> Not because it has parts I don't like, but there are just too
> many changes to the foundational rules. I would have a hard time
> convincing myself that all possible bugs had been foreseen and
> avoided.
	There aren't really that many changes.  The few places Malenkai has 
written new rule text, it looks like it's a copy-and-paste job.  That's 
not the kind of thing that's prone to disastrous error.  
	Almost all of this is renumbering rules to be where they should
be.  (Killing mutability is harmless.) The only thing I'm worried about is
"pointer references".  I'm not sure how careful Malenkai's been about
those. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 11:19:38 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Re Org again

Jason Orendorff wrote:

> The only thing I'm worried about is
> "pointer references".  I'm not sure how careful Malenkai's been about
> those.

I was actually very careful (unlike the couple of spelling errors in
the proposal :(   We have had bad pointer references before (qv,
"Bad Pointer Reference I" and "[...] II"), and we lived.  Not that it
would be acceptable.  I was hoping someone would check it in RFC form,
but that is alot of work.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:23:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  YORL

Bascule is asleep.  In accordance with the rules, he has been dealt 1 
card, and play goes on with /dev/joe.

There are 43 cards in the deck.

Players:
        /dev/joe        has   7 cards.
        snowgod         has   7 cards.
        Habeous-Corpus  has   7 cards.
        Malenkai        has   7 cards.
        ThinMan         has   7 cards.
        Bascule         has   8 cards.

It is /dev/joe's turn.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:37:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1536

> When a proposal, which is not Modest, is accepted and the number of
> players who cast No Votes was equal to or less than 2, a Bonus Vote is
> created and given to the author of the proposal. 
	I still think it's undesirable to reward extremely likable 
proposals.  Having a proposal pass unanimously is its own reward.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 11:52:56 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Blueprint

In response to Calvin N Hobbes request for help with his house, I have dug
the following Blueprint out of my collection of ancient writings.  Perhaps
whoever ends up with this can be in charge of always making sure our
buildings are attached.

Malenkai
Wizard
who cannot remember what happened to the lightbulb proposal

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Blueprint for "Gravitational Monopole"

The Gravatational Monopole is an ancient wonder that brings gravity to
world otherwise lacking in that area.  It has a large red button with
an enscription in the ancient language on it, which roughly translates
to: "Don't push me unless you know what you are doing".

If it is attached to any building which is dangling or otherwise detached
from the earth, and successfully activated, it will cause the earth to
fall to the building, thus reattaching it.

If it is attached to any building which is dangling or otherwise detached
from the earth, and activated unsuccessfully, the effect will be reversed,
causing the earth to fall away from the building, ripping the building's
tethers apart, and leaving the building floating unattached in free
space.  Such buildings may still be reattached by players with wings as
specified in Rule 1364, but the act is very strenuous, and all players
participating in it will lose their wings after it is completed.

In order to use the Magnetic Monopole, the player possessing it must be 
located at a dangling building.  They must attach the gadget, and push
the red button.  The player must accompany this button pushing ceremony
with some sort of statement of bravado, such as "Hey, I know what I'm
doing here".  At this point it is considered activated.

The probability of the activation being unsuccessful is the building's
size in land units divided by 20.  Any activation which is not unsuccessful
is successful.  If the player activating the gadget is the AckaPhysicist,
however, the divisor in the above calculation is 40 instead of 20.

After it is activated, the Officer in Charge of Random Things shall 
determine if the activation was successful or not, and the effects 
described above will occur.  In addition, if the activation was 
unsuccessful, and the player activating it is the AckaPhysicist, he
shall be deemed a quack, and this shall count towards his quack total.

Also, on an unsuccessful activation, the gadget will remain attached to
the building in question, and the red button may not be pressed, nor
may the gadget be moved, until that building is somehow reattached to
the earth.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:25:42 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1535

I like the counter action :)

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1535 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:20 CST 1996
> Otzma Card Type Amazing Hoover Building Mover
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> 1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called, "Amazing Hoover Building 
> Mover."
> 2. This type of card may only be played in the public forum.
> 3. When playing this card, the player playing it must name a currently 
> dangling building.  Upon the completion of this incantation, a giant vacuum 
> cleaner shall rise from the ground near that building's emergency tether, suck 
> it back toearth, reattach its suction cups, and then return to the 
> dimension from whence it came.
> 4. Counteraction: The reattached building loses its suction cups and once 
> again dangles.  In addition, there is a 50% chance that the Home of the 
> player who Countered the Amazing Hoover Building Mover card, if such a 
> building exists, shall lose its suction cups and dangle.
> 5. There may be at most 15 Otzma Cards of this type in existence.
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 12:23:22 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1536

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1536 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:21 CST 1996
> More of Them Bonuses
> Niccolo Flychuck

> When a proposal, which is not Modest, fails and exactly one player voted
> Yes on it, a Bonus Vote is created and given to that player.

It seems this would encourage submitting garbage proposals that benefit
the author.  Bring back the Gnome !

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:35:12 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1536

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > 
> > Proposal 1536 -- Sun 8 Dec 9:21 CST 1996
> > More of Them Bonuses
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> > When a proposal, which is not Modest, fails and exactly one player voted
> > Yes on it, a Bonus Vote is created and given to that player.
> 
> It seems this would encourage submitting garbage proposals that benefit
> the author.  Bring back the Gnome !
> 
> Malenkai
>
<shrug> I guess I just don't have that kind of demented mind <shrug>
;) ;)

Ok, how about this one. Whenever a proposal is accepted unanimously, a
Bonus Vote is created and Auctioned by the Speaker.

(I suppose someone could make a case for this encouraging heresy, and
Malenkai could make this look like scam major potential, and I mean that
in a nice way :), honest

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 12:17:06 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary: Voting Time

All the Bluffers have submitted their definitions for the Ing word, dornick.
It is time to cast your votes.  The votes should be cast publicly.
No Bluffer submitted a correct definition for the Ing word.  Here are
the definitions submitted and the real definition, in random order:

1. A miniature book, especially one that is finely crafted.

2. A flat-bottomed boat with high flaring sides, sharp bow, and 
deep V-shaped transom.

3. A notch cut into the entryway or window frames of homes.
Signified a secret code to identify those frenchmen loyal to the
exiled Napoleon Bonaparte.

4. Suitable for use as adornment.  Typically used in reference to
jewelry, scarves, or other such accessories.

5. A small stone or chunk of rock.

6. A small metal plate attached to the breast of a suit of armor,
usu. decorated with an identifying symbol.

7. A species of ground-nesting bird native to the Serengeti region
of Africa, characterized by reddish plumage.

/dev/joe
Brainiac

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:49:21 +0000
From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1526

> snowgod's Disease
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> A horrible epidemic is sweeping across Acka!
> 
> This epidemic is named "snowgod's Disease."  Its sufferers are highly 
> prone to send private messages to the public forum, particularly if those 
> private messages are to one's co-conspirators in a scam, coup attempt, or 
> other loophole surfing activity.  To preserve the public health of Acka, 
> some action must be taken!

YES! 

YES!

YES!!!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 13:01:44 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Lantern Play

The date is October 1, 1906.  The location is a rather wet piece
of land known as the William Rice Marsh, in (what was then) the
outskirts of Houston.  A moderate fog covers the land at sunrise.
The croaking of thousands of frogs is the only sound which can be
heard.  A being that has slept unnoticed in a pond here for over
300 years awakens.  The frogs scatter as the thing arises.
At first, just its head shows above the water.  As it climbs out
of the pond, the creature's 8 feet of height and 500 pounds of
bulk scares off every frog, bird, or other animal within the
fog-limited view of the pond.

Squish. Swish. Splash. Squash. Slush. Spish.

The stout, somewhat humanoid shape plods across the William Rice
Marsh.

monster

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #387
*******************************