Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #381
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, December 6 1996       Volume 01 : Number 381

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:34:27 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: My *new* proposal

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Clair Anthony Viglione wrote:

> OK, here's a proposal that I think will work:
> 
> 
> 
>     This rule would be called "ESP Tester". At any time, a person may
> tell Guy Fawkes that he/she wants to test his/her ESP. They then tell Guy
> Fawkes a number: either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Then, Guy Fawkes will tell the
> rest of the group that youi are testing your ESP. When this happens, you
> must randomly pick a number: either one, two, three, four, or five and send
> it in to the rest of the group. Anyone that does not send in a number is
> minus 5 points. Guy Fawkes then tallies the numbers. If the majority of the

In case of five choices I don't think we can really expect majority, which
is more than half the votes. I believe the intention here was along the
lines of the largest number of votes. If it phrased to make that clear, it
would work. Otherwise - I like this.
Niccolo Flychuck

 > numbers is the SAME number the person testing their ESP thought, that
> person gets + 10 points. If you fail your ESP test, you are lose 5 points.
> 

> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:36:34 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gnome

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Friends of the Voting Gnome, Unite!  All who consider themselves Friends 
> of the Voting Gnome, email me privately, and I tell you how to bring our 
> friend back to life.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> Friend of the Voting Gnome
> 
The Gnome has had its day and that day is long gone. E shall always remain
in the collective memory of ackanomia, and that is where e belongs.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:44:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: up for grabs, one Scientist

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > > I am willing to rent the Office of Wizard to anyone for the low, low 
> > > price of A$35 for a period of two weeks.  The first person who replies to 
> > > this gets the Office, so reply now!
> > 
> > I'll take you up on it, assuming it's legal.
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 	Thank you.  Can I assume that's sufficient to start the rental
> period?
> 	I think Malenkai's right, though; the Office will go to whoever
> wins the Auction.  :o\  Well, I'll give you your money back when that
> happens; I'll just hold on to it in the meantime... in case of miracle... 
> 
> --Mohammed
>
In that case, I think I'm gonna wait for that miracle too.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:55:26 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chalice in the Palace

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> Malenkai
> who believes he has found the Chalice in the Palace, and awaits 
> confirmation from Niccolo
>

Challenge twice and be victorious 
Or be Challenged to that end
Alas, if you have beem redundant
Then you have not reached your quest's end.

Forging a tool for such an activity
Is necessary for the festivity.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:57:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: RFC Re-org - Tiers research

I'm moving this discussion to acka-research and continuing it under the
subject of Tiers.

My postings to re-org will concern Malenkai's (and Guy Fawkes' ) re-org
RFCs.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 23:53:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Internomic Stuff

> I don't know about the rest of the Senate, but I really like the
> idea behind Thring's RFC; it really gives us a chance to open up the
> concept of true inter-nomic relationships.  It does need a little
> work, and not just from the standpoint of adapting Acka rules to
> allow for it.

I agree entirely with the above. It does need some work, but it's a
great idea. Ackanomic should definitely submit some suggestions for
tightening it up.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 02:04:15 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My *new* proposal 

>>     This rule would be called "ESP Tester". At any time, a person may
>> tell Guy Fawkes that he/she wants to test his/her ESP. They then tell Guy
>> Fawkes a number: either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Then, Guy Fawkes will tell the
>> rest of the group that youi are testing your ESP. When this happens, you
>> must randomly pick a number: either one, two, three, four, or five and send
>> it in to the rest of the group. Anyone that does not send in a number is
>> minus 5 points. Guy Fawkes then tallies the numbers. If the majority of the
>
>In case of five choices I don't think we can really expect majority, which
>is more than half the votes. I believe the intention here was along the
>lines of the largest number of votes. If it phrased to make that clear, it
>would work. Otherwise - I like this.

I like it too, with one revision -- perhaps a limit on the number of ESP
tests in a given period of time, and a limit on how many ESP tests a player
can undergo in a given period of time? Otherwise things might get a little
hectic. Oh, yeah, and don't put Guy Fawke's name in the proposal, put his
office (Promoter, is it?), so this will be a general rule that won't depend
on Guy being in the game....

I also wanted to say that for a new player, you are catching on very quickly
to the game. Congratulations!

Robert Sevin, who certainly once was, and may or may not currently be...
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:03:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public mail

> > I'll offer A$20 to first inventor who finds a cure for this horrible
> > plaugue sweeping ackanomic!  Damn the private messages!
> 
> This was exactly what I worried about way back in the early days of the
> mailing list, before I set the list reply-to address to go back to the
> list.  (Maybe 6 or 7 of the current players were around back then.)
> Since there are a lot more public replies to public messages than
> private replies to public messages, it generally is easier on everyone
> if the reply-to goes back to the list.

No, the cure for this disease does not lie in technology, but in
training oneself. What we need is a "nocuous stimulus."

NRARFC

If any player accidentally sends a private message to a public forum,
they are required to read the O'Reilly "sendmail" book in its entirety,
and, within the next three days, post a twenty-page book report to the
same pulic forum to prove that they have in fact completed the
assignment.

breadbox
PS: NRA = "Not Really A(n)"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:43:51 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Public mail 

>NRARFC
>
>If any player accidentally sends a private message to a public forum,
>they are required to read the O'Reilly "sendmail" book in its entirety,
>and, within the next three days, post a twenty-page book report to the
>same pulic forum to prove that they have in fact completed the
>assignment.
>
>breadbox
>PS: NRA = "Not Really A(n)"

Man, and I though that making it heresy was rough...

snowgod
who knows that his problem lies in pull-down email adress menus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:34:41 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Otzma Day 

I am hereby anouncing that three days from now another Otzma Day will
begin.

Niccolo Flychuck
RuneMaker

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:27:58 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Re-org

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> RFC
> Re-org I
> Malenkai
> 
> 
> [fold R 101, 110, 111, 115, 592 into 101]
> 
> Amend R 101 so that its title is "The Game of Ackanomic", and so that
> its text is:
> 
> "
>     Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of rules without end.  All
The way I parse this is
Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of (rules without end)
While this may not be a bad description of Ackanomic, I do not believe
this to be the intention.

> Repeal R 592, "Protection" [folded into R 101]
Is it?
The closest I saw was the rephrasing of R115. I couldn't find anything
about Protection.

> [put all the office stuff in one place]
> 
> ##todo
> Starting with R 401, move all of pTang's office standardization rules
> to 401, 402, etc, thenmove all the offices into the 400s after that
> stuff, so they are in one place.  The exception would be the scientist
> stuff
> ##
The Officies rules are quite big.
This the kind of thing I'd see going in a Rule Suite.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 02:50:44 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Recruiting 

I have posted a message on the Nomic WWW Bulleting board announcing our
desire to gain new players.  Those who wish to view it may do so at
http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/cgi-bin/messages/114.html

Also, my news server is down right now, but as son as it goes back up, I
plan to do a little posting to the newsgroups for the purposes of
recruiting.

And one more thing:  A few of the new players have voted... Is there
anything I can do to make them active before the voting resultes are
released, or is it impossible for a new player to become active before the
voting results are released?  Does the act of submitting a proposal make a
player active?

snowgod
curious

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 07:01:50 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Fame

Using what little time remains to me to access different WWW sites,  I
found an interesting post on Doug Chatham's Nomic BBS.

There is a nomic run out of Oxford,  that is sadly restricted to Oxford
Students.  However,  one of their players posted an update of the nomic's
progress to the BBS,  and actually compared themselves to Ackanomic!. 
The comparison wasn't exactly flattering,  depending on your point of
view,  but I think e really meant it to be complimentary.

It seems the Harf of Acka is becoming world famous.

I may even try to recruit the author of the post to join us.

HC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:15:52 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: My *new* proposal

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Clair Anthony Viglione wrote:
> 
> > OK, here's a proposal that I think will work:
> >
> >
> >
> >     This rule would be called "ESP Tester". At any time, a person may
> > tell Guy Fawkes that he/she wants to test his/her ESP. They then tell Guy
> > Fawkes a number: either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Then, Guy Fawkes will tell the
> > rest of the group that youi are testing your ESP. When this happens, you
> > must randomly pick a number: either one, two, three, four, or five and send
> > it in to the rest of the group. Anyone that does not send in a number is
> > minus 5 points. Guy Fawkes then tallies the numbers. If the majority of the
> 
> In case of five choices I don't think we can really expect majority, which
> is more than half the votes. I believe the intention here was along the
> lines of the largest number of votes. If it phrased to make that clear, it
> would work. Otherwise - I like this.

I would not tie a proposal to a particular player.  Players can leave,
go on vacation, have their name changed, etc.  I would tie it to an officer,
in this case Count Tabula or the Speaker.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:27:42 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Re-org

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > RFC
> > Re-org I
> > Malenkai

> >     Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of rules without end.  All

> The way I parse this is
> Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of (rules without end)
> While this may not be a bad description of Ackanomic, I do not believe
> this to be the intention.

How could it be better worded?  I'll admit I was not in love with my
wording of R 101.  Would a comma in there make it work?
 
> > Repeal R 592, "Protection" [folded into R 101]
> Is it?
> The closest I saw was the rephrasing of R115. I couldn't find anything
> about Protection.

R 101 now has something to the effect: "The game state may only be changed
as described in the rules".  That is blanket protection.  It also has
the "protected action" sentence from R 592 thrown in for good luck, which
IMHO is redundant with the game state sentence, but I just being paranoid.
Perhaps we should go back to CFJ 113 ;)
 
> The Officies rules are quite big.
> This the kind of thing I'd see going in a Rule Suite.

I thought of that, but the office stuff is core to the game, whereas rule
suites, semantically to me, are more for subgames and other stuff that
is periphial to the game.  I want someone scrolling through the rules to
be able to get at pTang's office rules easily, for example.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:33:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gnome

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> > Friends of the Voting Gnome, Unite!  All who consider themselves Friends 
> > of the Voting Gnome, email me privately, and I tell you how to bring our 
> > friend back to life.
> > 
> > Guy Fawkes
> > Friend of the Voting Gnome
> > 

Muwahahahahaha...

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:35:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1520

Proposal 1520 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:30 CST 1996
Pre-empting a CFJ
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

Rule 985.2 shall be amended by changing the text "according the
PartyChessPieceDef rule, defining that piece" in section 3.B.(i)
to "according to the applicable rules".

{{[ Aside from just cleaning up the language, this clears the way
to more complexly-interacting pieces by making it clear that the
legal moves available to any particular piece may depend on more
than just that piece's PCPD rule.  This may be necessary for P1512
(should it pass) to work, but it is also useful in its own right. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:36:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1521

Proposal 1521 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:31 CST 1996
In Which Count Tabula's Alter Ego Gets It
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

This is a Modest Proposal.

1.  Rule 414/12 ("The Office of the Tabulator") is amended by removing:
- ---
     The terms "Count Tabula", and "Assistant Tabulator" are synonomous,
     as used in the rules. [this will be removed by CSR, hopefull, when
     no longer needed]
- ---

2.   Rule 818/6 ("Prosthetic Foreheads") is amended by changing:
- ---
     Once a Forehead Tribunal has been summoned, each player may send
     exactly one vote to the Assistant Tabulator during the next three
     days. Votes may take the form of, "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy," or "No,
     'is peak's unique." If more than half of the votes cast are "Yes,
     'is toppy's a copy," the offending Prosthetic Forehead is destroyed
     and the player who described it loses two points. Otherwise, the
     player who called the Forehead Tribunal forfeits 5 A$ to the
     Treasury.
- ---
to:
- ---
     A Forehead Tribunal is a Hearing.  The valid responses are, "Yes,
     'is toppy's a copy." and "No, 'is peak's unique."  If the verdict
     is that "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy.", the offending Prosthetic
     Forehead is destroyed and the player who described it loses two
     points.  Otherwise, the player who called the Forehead Tribunal
     forfeits 5 A$ to the Treasury.
- ---

3.  Rule 1396/0 ("Hearings") is amended by changing all
occurrences of "the Assistant Tabulator" to "Count Tabula".
[ current text (excerpt):
     While the Hearing is in session, each Player may send his or her
     response to that Hearing to Count Tabula privately. Count Tabula
     shall record each response that matches one of the valid responses
     for the Hearing. If a Player who has already responded sends another
     valid response, the Assistant Tabulator shall discard the previous
     response and record the new one.
 ...
     appears first in the Rule defining them. If no responses were
     received while the Hearing was in session, the verdict shall be
     "Never mind." The Assistant Tabulator has the Duty of announcing the
     verdicts of Hearings with all due haste.
]

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:36:28 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1522

Proposal 1522 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:31 CST 1996
Killing 15 More Blanket Precedence Clauses
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

1.  Rule 414 ("The Office of the Tabulator") is amended by changing:
- ---
     The Duties of Count Tabula are:

     (a) to handle solicitation, tabulation, and reporting of votes on
     all Ackanomic matters, excluding Proposals. This includes, but is
     not limited to:
     (a.1) Hearings
     (a.2) Impeachment Papers
     (a.3) Witchhunts
     (a.4) All elections, including Senatorial, Presidential, Speaker,
     Delegates, and other elected offices.

     This clause (a) and its subsections (a.x), take precedence over any
     other mutable rule which denies Count Tabula these duties, or would
     define an alternate procedure or officer (including Tabulator), to
     perform them.
- ---
to:
- ---
     The Duties of Count Tabula are to handle solicitation, tabulation,
     and reporting of votes on all Ackaonimc matters, excluding
     Proposals.  This includes, but is not limited to, Hearings [see Rule
     1396], Impeachment Papers [Rule 613], and all Elections for Office
     [Rule 611].
- ---

2.  Rule 726 ("Party Hall") is amended by changing:
- ---
     Only a Player who is not a Party member may be elected for the NAP
     Seat. The previous sentence takes precedence over all the rules
     governing elections and eligibility for public office.
     
     All Players may vote for the NAP Seat. There is no NAP Swinger seat
     if there are no non-aligned players. This clause takes precedence
     over all others in this rule, or any other mutable rule pertaining
     to Party Hall or Swingers.
- ---
to:
- ---
     Only a Player who is not a member of any Political Party is elegible
     to volunteer for the NAP Seat.  All Players may vote in the Election
     for the NAP Seat.
- ---

3.  Rule 396 ("Office of Promoter") is amended by changing:
- ---
     The Office of the Promoter is a Functional Office. The Duties of the
     Promoter are:
     
     (a) to accept proposal submissions from players, and to,
     (b) assign the proposal a number and distribute it for voting.
     
     A proposal by a Player shall be made by submitting it to the
     Promoter.
- ---
to:
- ---
     The Office of the Promoter is a Functional Office.  The Duties of the
     Promoter are:

     (a) to accept proposal submissions from players;
     (b) to keep a record of each proposal from the time it is
         submitted to the time its voting period ends;
     (c) to assign each proposal a number and distribute it for voting.

     The Promoter has three days to distribute each proposal in accordance
     with part (c) except during a Festival of Torkola.  Then, the Promoter
     may not distribute the proposal until the Festival is over and is
     given three days from the end of the Festival to do so.  [See Rule 797
     ("Festival of Torkola").]

     The Promoter has the Privilege of being able to call a Festival
     of Torkola under certain, special circumstances.  [See Rule 797.]
- ---

4.  Rule 797 ("Festival of Torkola") is amended by changing:
- ---
     4) During a Festival, it is illegal for the Promoter or anyone else
     to distribute a Proposal for voting. This clause takes precedence
     over any mutable rule which would require or allow the Promoter, or
     anyone else, to do so. This specifically applies to Proposals only.
- ---
to:
- ---
     4) During a Festival, it is illegal for the Promoter or anyone else
     to distribute a Proposal for voting.  This applies to Proposals only.
- ---
and by changing:
- ---
     5b) Upon distribution of any proposal whose last 2 digits are "00",
     the Promoter may declare a Festival to start on the day following
     the distribution of the proposal. He or she shall also determine the
     length. The Promoter is strongly encouraged, but not required, to do
     this, taking into consideration the state of the game and popular
     opinion. This clause takes precedence over or augments all mutable
     rules which define the privileges of the Promoter, and all mutable
     rules which would deny the Promoter this privilege. This shall be a
     Privilege of the office of Promoter. [ie, a Festival can occur every
     100 proposals].
- ---
to:
- ---
     5b) Upon distribution of any proposal whose last 2 digits are "00",
     the Promoter may declare a Festival to start on the day following
     the distribution of the proposal. He or she shall also determine the
     length. The Promoter is strongly encouraged, but not required, to do
     this, taking into consideration the state of the game and popular
     opinion.  [ie, a Festival can occur every 100 proposals.]
- ---

5.  Rule 1014 ("Taking the Altar by the Horns") is amended by changing
- ---
     This rule takes precedence over any rule which contains either of
     the words 'witch', 'round', or 'flat'.
- ---
to
- ---
     This rule takes precedence over Rule 729 ("Ackanomic Middle Ages").
- ---

6.  Rule 1022 ("Spelling Bee") is amended by removing:
- ---
     This rule takes precedence over any mutable rule which would
     prohibit the type of Rule and CFJ changes described here.
- ---

7.  Rule 1067 ("Cow Town Hotel") is amended by changing:
- ---
     Cow Town is a hideout for Gaolbirds. Any player who has been found
     guilty of violating the rules (per CFCJ) can enter Cow Town during
     their "grace period".
- ---
to:
- ---
     Cow Town is a hideout for Gaolbirds.  Any Player who has been found
     guilty of a Crime (per CFCJ) can enter Cow Town during their "grace
     period".
- ---
and by changing:
- ---
     The fee for staying in Cow Town is A$25 a night. Whoever is serving
     as Gaoler at the time of the passage of this rule shall be
     considered the owner of Cow Town. He may do with the hotel as he
     sees fit, however selling the hotel to another player is considered
     to be bad form, and players are allowed to sneer. The only exception
     to the sneering bit is if a former gaoler wishes to sell the hotel
     to a newly elected gaoler.
- ---
to:
- ---
     The fee for staying in Cow Town is A$25 a night.  {{ As of now, Cow
     Town is owned by whoever is currently serving as Gaoler. }}  The
     owner of Cow Town may do with the hotel as he sees fit, however
     selling the hotel to another player is considered to be bad form,
     and players are allowed to sneer. The only exception to the sneering
     bit is if a former gaoler wishes to sell the hotel to a newly
     elected gaoler.
- ---

8.  Rule 1108 ("Locations") is amended by removing the last sentence from
section 3).
[ current text:
     3) If a Rule specifies that a player enters a Location, they leave
     their current Location, unless there is some other restriction which
     would prevent them from leaving the current Location [e.g. Gaol]. In
     this case they actually do not enter the destination Location; they
     remain where they are. This section has precedence over any mutable
     rule which specifies that a player be moved to another location.
]

9.  Rule 207 ("Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported")
is amended by removing the stray quote mark at the end of the first
paragraph, and by changing:
- ---
     If a proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 10
     points and every player who voted NO on it receives 3 points.
     Exception: No points are awarded for voting NO on a proposal
     considered to be Modest.
- ---
to:
- ---
     If a non-Modest proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it
     receives 10 points, and every player who voted NO on it receives 3
     points.  If a Modest proposal is accepted, the player who proposed
     it receives half as many points as he or she would have received
     otherwise, and no points are awarded for voting NO.
- ---

10.  Rule 1109 ("Modesty and Pride") is amended by removing:
- ---
     This rule take precedence over whatever other rule or rules specify
     the points to be scored upon the adoption of a proposal.
- ---
and adding:
- ---
     {{ This Rule is hereby renumbered to 209. [Higher precedence.]  }}
- ---

11.  Rule 1112.2 ("And the Harf shall inherit the Earth!") is amended by
removing:
- ---
     This rule takes precedence over any other mutable rule which would
     deny such a bonus.
- ---

12.  Rule 1155 ("Decks of Playing Cards") is amended by removing:
- ---   
     This paragraph takes precedence over all other mutable Rules dealing
     with Playing Cards and Decks of Playing Cards.
- ---
from the paragraph that says that Cards may not be exchanged between Decks.

13.  Rule 1307.1 ("Rule Suites") is amended by removing the last
sentence from section 4.
[ current text:
     4) It is a privilege of the Web-Harfer to move rules which are
     members of Rule Suites out of the main rules document into a
     seperate document, and to establish and maintain a link from the
     link phrase (section 1 d)) to this document. If any such member
     rules are moved to a seperate document, then all such member rules
     of that Rule Suite must be moved to that document, and the link must
     be established and maintained. This section takes precedence over
     any other mutable rule which conflicts with it in any way.
]  [The Web-Harfer is not bound to keep a record of all rules anyway.]

14.  Rule 1356/1 ("Synod") is amended by removing the last sentence from
section 9.

[ current text:
     9. When the Synod is not in Session it is impermissible for the
     Synod to trade, distribute profits to member Churches, or take any
     other action, except for the duty of contacting Founders of Churches
     with unoccupied Seats, as described in section 5 of this rule. This
     section takes precedence over any other section of this rule and
     takes precedence over any rule which would allow the Synod to take
     any action when it is not in Session.
]

15.  Rule 1386 ("Bonus Votes") is amended by removing:
- ---
     8. This rule takes precedence over any rule that concerens tradeable
     entities that can be used as Votes.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:36:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1523

Proposal 1523 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:32 CST 1996
Them Bonuses
Niccolo Flychuck

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Them Bonuses" which contains the
following text:
"
When a proposal is accepted and the number of players who cast No Votes
was equal to or less than 1, a Bonus Vote is created and given to the
author of the proposal. If exactly one player cast a No Vote, then a Bonus
Vote is created and given to that player.
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:37:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1524

Proposal 1524 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:32 CST 1996
Vending Machine Blues
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[Synopsis:  Rewrite of the Vending Machine Blueprint.  Fixes at least two
potential scams in the current Blueprint.  Also makes the Vending Machine
mechanical....]

A new rule shall be created, reading:
=====
{{  The Blueprint for the Vending Machine is amended to read, in full:
- ---
The Vending Machine is a mechanical Gadget.  They can be quite lucrative.

All Vending Machines are equipped to vend Rocks To Wind A String Around. 
The price to buy a Rock To Wind A String Around from a new Vending Machine
is A$6.  A Player can equip eir Vending Machine to sell other items, if
the technology exists.

The owner of a Vending Machine may change the price for which the
Machine sells a certain item, by announcing which price e is changing
and the new price (an even number of A$).  However, no price can be
changed in this way more than once in 30 days.

Any player may buy an item from any non-broken Vending Machine by
announcing which item e wishes to buy and which Vending Machine e is
buying it from.  The Machine checks to make sure the buyer has enough
currency to buy the item.  If e has enough, the Vending Machine transfers
half the price of that item from the buyer to the Machine's owner, and
half of the price from the buyer to the Treasury.  Finally, it creates a
new item of the type requested, and gives it to the buyer.
- ---
}}

=====

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:37:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1525

Proposal 1525 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:32 CST 1996
A Plaindromic Rule Palindromic A
Swann (Steven Swinarski)

No Flea may say, "As e be-- oh Phoebe say, 'as yam, a elf on!'"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:37:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1526

Proposal 1526 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:33 CST 1996
snowgod's Disease
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

A horrible epidemic is sweeping across Acka!

This epidemic is named "snowgod's Disease."  Its sufferers are highly 
prone to send private messages to the public forum, particularly if those 
private messages are to one's co-conspirators in a scam, coup attempt, or 
other loophole surfing activity.  To preserve the public health of Acka, 
some action must be taken!

Whenever a player believes another player is infected with snowgod's 
Disease, he may call a Public Health Emergency by posting in a public 
message that he is doing so, and naming which player he believes is 
infected.  A Public Health Emergency is a type of Hearing.  The valid 
responses are, "Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!" 
and, "No, e, uh, meant to do that."  If the verdict is "Yes, why just 
yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!" the named player is determined 
to be infected with snowgod's Disease until the end of the calendar month, 
and the player who called the Hearing, known for this purpose as the Medical 
Examiner, shall within the next seven days, publically post what 
treatment he feels the infected player should be subjected to.  This 
"prescription" is not a legally binding document.  No player may have a Public 
Health Emergency called against him more than one per calendar month, as this 
would be just plain too silly. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:38:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1527

Proposal 1527 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:33 CST 1996
Too Honest to be a Successful Politician
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Grandiose Proposal.

Amend R 615, "Speaker", to replace "weekly" with "monthly" in section
(iii), and to remove all occurrances of the phrase "cows eat grass" from
the rule.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:38:25 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1528

Proposal 1528 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:33 CST 1996
Cow Town Fix
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.  Add the following paragraph to the end of R1067.

If a player most recently entered Cow Town with an n-day Gaol sentence 
pending, and if upon leaving Cow Town after staying there m days, m<n, he 
shall immediately be sent to Gaol to serve an n-m day sentence.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:38:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1529

Proposal 1529 -- Fri 6 DEc 7:33 CST 1996
Otzma Card Type Foul Fowl
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule, a member of the Otzma Cards Rule Suite; its title is
"Otzma Card Type Foul Fowl"; its text is as follows:

     "
     A Card of this type can only be played in the public forum, and
     may only be played when the Chartreuse Goose is Somewhere Else.

     A player who plays this Card shall announce the name of an active
     player.  Upon doing so, the Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the
     player named.

     Its Counter-Action: The Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the
     player who played this card.

     There may be at most 5 Otzma Cards of type "Foul Fowl".  This rule
     takes precedence over rule 1243.
     "

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:39:12 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1530

Proposal 1530 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:34 CST 1996 
A little fix to Otzma Days
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal.
In R1369.1 section 4 a replace the text:"since the previous Otzma Day"
with the text:"since the begining of the previous Otzma Day"

{{[the way the rules stands now, proposals which were accepted during the
Otzma Day are not counted, or at least not unambgiously so.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:57:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swann

Swann--

Realizing that you have only been in Acka for a few days now, how do you 
keep the Ackan and Agoran business mixed together in your mailbox 
straight?  Seriously, if I belonged to both games, I'd find myself trying 
to pyraically frobnotz the Agoran ruleset!

Guy Fakwes 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:36:24 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: More Metoring

snowgod wrote:

>Sending private message to the public forum is heresy.

Gee, snowgod, how many more times do you want to be burned?

:)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 09:00:09 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rejoining the game. 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  Acka: Rejoining the game.
Date: 1996-12-06 08:53
Priority: 
Message ID: 0E301976
Conversation ID: 0E301976

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to announce that I am returning to the greatest game of harfiness 
in the world.

Also, would the postmaster please change my email address on all of the 
lists to .......

[email-masked]

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:11:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rejoining the game.

> I am happy to announce that I am returning to the greatest game of harfiness 
> in the world.
> 
> Techno

Welcome back! (Does this mean that the Amber Banana Tree is back in
business?)

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:14:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary

The playing order in the game of fictionary is as follows:

/dev/joe
snogod
Thinman
Guy Fawkes
breadbox
Malenkai
Habeus Corpus

Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

and those Otzma Card proposals Malenkai got passed did bring him closer to
the Chalice from the Palac, so he may have guessed something right after
all.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:12:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1525

> Proposal 1525 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:32 CST 1996
> A Plaindromic Rule Palindromic A
> Swann (Steven Swinarski)
> 
> No Flea may say, "As e be-- oh Phoebe say, 'as yam, a elf on!'"

Oh, dear. ROTFL.

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:16:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1528

> Proposal 1528 -- Fri 6 Dec 7:33 CST 1996
> Cow Town Fix
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.  Add the following paragraph to the end of R1067.
> 
> If a player most recently entered Cow Town with an n-day Gaol sentence 
> pending, and if upon leaving Cow Town after staying there m days, m<n, he 
> shall immediately be sent to Gaol to serve an n-m day sentence.

I think this might be better if the mathematical parts were spelled
out in English, or at least enclosed in parentheses or something. Look
at the ambiguity between "n-day" and "n-m". Perhaps (if this passes)
we could get a CSR to fix it?

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 09:40:05 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Re: Acka: Rejoining the game. 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  RE:  Re: Acka: Rejoining the game.
Date: 1996-12-06 09:33
Priority: 
Message ID: CF9B0ABF
Conversation ID: CF9B0ABF

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that the Amber Banana Tree rule was changed to transfer ownership 
to the treasury.  Am I correct?

Techno

> I am happy to announce that I am returning to the greatest game of
harfiness
> in the world.
>
> Techno

>Welcome back! (Does this mean that the Amber Banana Tree is back in
>business?)

>b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:27:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Re: Acka: Rejoining the game.

I think something's wrong with your timestamp; it reads 9:40 Pacific (-0800);
That would be 11:40 my time (-600), but it's not even 10:30 yet.

Guy Fawkes
There were at least three proposals to put the amber banana tree either 
under snowgod's control or in the public demesne; to my knowlege, they all 
failed. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:12:20 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

Niccolo Flychuck wrote:
> The playing order in the game of fictionary is as follows:
> 
> /dev/joe
 [...]

The first Ing word is:  dornick

Bluffers, please send your definitions to me at [email-masked];
do not respond to this message publicly, snowgod, or we will all laugh at
you. :-)

/dev/joe
Brainiac I

BTW, I have made links to the two dictionaries for Fictionary next to the
Gamesmaster on the main Ackanomic page.  Bluffers, remember that you may not
look up the word in any dictionary until the round ends!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:23:49 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: This is a test

This is a test of a new mailing list:  [email-masked]

This list sends mail to the people on ackanomic (and ackanomic-digest)
but does not set the reply-to header to point back to the list.
There is no need to subscribe to any additional list; it uses the
existing address list for the other lists.

If you are posting something that should be responded to privately,
like the Wrangler's post of the Grab-a-donkey active list, or a
Brainiac's post of the Ing word in Fictionary, send it to this address
instead of the usual address.

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #381
*******************************