Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #376
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, December 4 1996      Volume 01 : Number 376

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:45:07 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Report

Since the last score report:
Habeous and snowgod lost 1 more point each on Dec 3 for the whamiols;
  I still have seen no votes by any of our new players.
P1462-1486 scoring:
  1473-1475 were modest
  there was a parade for 1476, and I still have the trombone
  1484 was short

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
267	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
183	Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
135	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
96	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
88	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
71	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
63	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
62	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
38	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
27	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
26	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
22	fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
1	AirHead              N   (Eric Freeman)
1	Jammer               N   (John Lotz)
1	Swann                N   (Steven Swiniarski)
1	Clairence            N   (Clair Anthony Viglione)
- -4	Robert Sevin         A   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -13	Bascule              Av  (Matt Black) 

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:46:08 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: subgames

I, too, have tried to sign up for Fictionary, but I think wilma ate my 
request (she's a hungry goddess, that one).  I am sending this both 
publically and privately, and hopefully one of them will reach you.

Guy Fawkes 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:27:29 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka: On Simple Majority rule

mr cwm wrote:

>Maybe.  But isn't a "rule change" still "a description of a game effect"?
>(R491/5)  It seems to me that this proposal describes several game
>effects.  I don't think putting them in braces changes that.  (Does it?)
>
>-mr cwm

>>>On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>>>>
>>>>Create a new rule with text as follows:
>>>>
>>>>{{ Transmute rule XXX to mutable.
>>>>Amendment, amendment amendment.
>>>>Transmute rule XXX to immutable.}}

We are up to revision 7 of R491, but a "rule change" is still "a
description of a game effect."  Whether the example proposal describes
more than one game effect is debatable, but I think that the answer
should be that it does not.

The braces are irrelevant; I could write the same proposal, not much
longer, without them.  If one version contained multiple rule changes,
then so would the other.  The question, therefore, is whether
"encapsulated" descriptions of game effects qualify as rule changes
under the auspices of R491.  There is no game custom to support either
side, for multiple-rule-change proposals became allowed before the
definition of the term "Rule Change" was changed to its present form.

I note, however, that "a description of a game effect" is such a broad
definition that if its applicability is as mr cwm suggests then most
proposals, particularly those that create new rules, contain multiple
rule changes.  Not all of those rule changes qualify as "valid"
according to R491, but that's beside the point.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:18:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: magic number

By my calculations, Malenkai's no vote on P1481 made his score 258, 
raising the magic number to 273.  Would the scorekeeper please care to 
confirm or correct this statement?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:41:04 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Forming a new political party 

I am going to form a new political party. I have investigated the three
currently existing political parties, and none of them fit my ideology
closely enough for me to join them. Therefore, I am looking for players who
wish to join a new party. Here is what I have come up with so far:

Name (tentative): Harf
Charter (rough draft):
1. The Harf party is hereby created. It has the following goals:
    a. Make Ackanomic more fun, interesting, and silly.
    b. Avoid rules that unnecessarily (fun is necessary) complicate the game.
    c. Gather more players and observers for Ackanomic.
    d. Make Ackanomic more able to deal with a large number of players.
    e. Organize Ackanomic in a more systematic way in order to help new
players
       and observers get the hang of the game.
    f. Make Ackanomic as grand and impressive as possible.
    g. Encourage Inter-Nomic activities, as well as any other activities in
       which Ackanomic interacts with the outside world (in an enjoyable way)
    g. Have an article about Ackanomic published in a major, real world medium.
2. Party unity and discussion of proposals is encouraged in the Harf party.
3. A player may become a member of the Harf party if half or more of the
current
   party members vote in favor of the player joining.
4. A player may be expelled from the Harf party if half or more of the current
   party members vote in favor of the player leaving.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If anyone thinks this sounds
good, I'd like your input on how to change the Charter, if they like the
party name, etc. This version of the charter represents fairly accurately
the ideology I want, but it doesn't say it very eloquently, and I probably
have left out some important things. I am more than willing to revise it
with the help of other potential party members.

Robert Sevin, who is still (even if he doesn't need to any more)...
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:22:34 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forming a new political party

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Mitchell Harding wrote:

> Robert Sevin, who is still (even if he doesn't need to any more)...
> Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

Mr. Sevin, rule 937, which governs all behaviors involving that entity 
known as the "Silly Vacation Hat," explicitly states that 14 days after 
returning from vacation, a player wearing a Silly Vacation Hat shall 
remove said item of frivolous haberdashery, upon which it (the hat, not 
the player) shall immediately disintegrate and be removed from our fair 
game.  Please comply with this rule, or I will have no choice but to call 
a CFCJ.  Bah!

Guy Fawkes
who wouldn't be so pedantic if this didn't involve such a vital aspect of 
our game :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 18:21:36 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Magic Potato

mr cwm has been chosen for the magic potato.

Sorry for the delay.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 18:25:10 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary

I have seen the following express a desire to play Fictionary:

/dev/joe
Habeous Corpus
Malenkai
snowgod

I am sure others have that I have missed.  If you wish to play Fictionary,
and are not on this list, reply to this message.  Lets start the game
with the above players, and anyone who replies to this message by
Dec 05, 18:00 EST (assuming we get one more).  Seem reasonable?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:30:17 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: magic number

> By my calculations, Malenkai's no vote on P1481 made his score 258, 
> raising the magic number to 273.  Would the scorekeeper please care to 
> confirm or correct this statement?
> 
> Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes is correct.  I knew this too, but I forgot to do anything
about it. :-o

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:30:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

> I have seen the following express a desire to play Fictionary:
> 
> /dev/joe
> Habeous Corpus
> Malenkai
> snowgod

If the Ghost rematch is off, then sign me up, too.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:33:56 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposals 1503-1507

It has now been well over 30 hours since I distributed these proposals.  
In that time, Wilma has spat out most of the recent slew of delayed 
messages, but the email daemons have yet to release these proposals 
(along with a few other messages I sent out Tuesday morning) from their 
dark clutches.

In that light, I am redistruting these proposals.

Guy Fawkes
who hopes the mail works this time.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:35:42 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1503 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:45:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1503

Proposal 1503 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:43 CST 1996
Killing 13 Blanket Precedence Clauses
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[Synopsis: one way to make the rule set less confusing is to remove
the unnecessary uses of blanket precedence clauses (i.e. all of them.)
This proposal does not remove -all- blanket precedence clauses from
the rule set (there are literally dozens!)  But it's a soft & easy
start.]

1.  Rule 414 ("The Office of the Tabulator") shall be amended by changing:
- --
     (a) appoint someone to the Functional Office of Count Tabula
     (created by this rule). This is the only way the office can be
     filled. This clause takes precedence over any mutable rule which
     would define other ways to fill the office.
- ---
to
- ---
     (a) appoint someone to the Functional Office of Count Tabula
     (created by this rule). This is the only way the office can be
     filled.
- ---

2.  Rule 504 ("The President of Ackanomia") is amended by changing:
- ---
     (iii) Whenever this Office is filled in an acting capacity, the
     Acting President may exercise Privilege "a" as listed in section
     (ii) of this Rule. This takes precedence over any Rule that would
     prevent this action.
- ---
to
- ---
     (iii) Whenever this Office is filled in an acting capacity, the
     Acting President may exercise Privilege "a" as listed in section
     (ii) of this Rule.
- ---
[That privilege, btw, is the power to appoint volunteers to Functional
Offices.]

3.  Rule 549 ("The Blue Cross") is amended by removing the sentence:
- ---
     No player may ever have more than one Blue Cross Bonus; this
     takes precedence over any other mutable rule which would give a
     player more than one Blue Cross Bonus.
- ---
from section 2.  [The part that remains is sufficient to enforce this.]

4.  Rule 554 ("Tammany") is amended by replacing:
- ---
(ii)  Tammany may cast one vote on every Proposal.  This
      takes precedence over any Rule that would deny Tammany
      the right to vote.
- ---
with:
- ---
(ii)  Tammany may cast one vote on every Proposal.
- ---

5.  Rule 570 ("Player Names") is amended by changing:
- ---
     It is a duty of the
     Registrar to make sure the player's chosen name complies with this
     Rule, and the Registrar has the final right to approve or deny the
     chosen name. This clause takes precedence over any mutable rule
     which would deny the Registrar these duties.
- ---
to:
- ---
     It is a duty of the
     Registrar to make sure the player's chosen name complies with this
     Rule, and the Registrar has the final right to approve or deny the
     chosen name.
- ---

6.  Rule 593 ("Ackanomic Research Guild") is amended by deleting the
sentence "This takes precedence over Rule 613."

[ Current text:
     III. When a Scientist is removed from their office by impeachment,
     he loses 20 points. If a Scientist resigns from their offcie while
     an Impeachment Paper is pending against him, he loses 5 points. An
     Impeachment Paper against a Scientist requires no quorum and a
     simple majority of votes in favor to be accepted. This takes
     precedence over Rule 613.
]

7.  Rule 609 ("Offices, Commonalities") is amended by changing:
- ---
             Officers have 3 days to complete the tasks and duties they
             are responsible for, not counting any time the officer
             is on vacation or in Gaol, unless other rules unambigiously
             specify a different finite amount of time for these things.
             This section takes precedence over any other mutable rule
             which specifies an unlimited amount of time, does not specify
             an amount of  time, or is unclear in its time specifications
             with regards to the amount of time officers have to
             complete tasks and duties.
- ---
to:
- ---
             Officers have 3 days to complete the tasks and duties they
             are responsible for, not counting any time the officer
             is on vacation or in Gaol, unless other rules unambigiously
             specify a different finite amount of time for these things.
- ---

8.  Rule 613 ("Offices, Impeachment") is amended by removing:
- ---
      This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
- ---

9.  Rule 615 ("Speaker") is amended by changing:
- ---
     This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules, except that it
     defers to R 779.
- ---
to
- ---
     This Rule defers to Rule 779 ("Succession Proceedings").
- --- 

10.  Rule 665 ("Treasury and Hard Money") is amended by removing:
- ---
     This Rule claims precedence over any Rule that would create or
     destroy A$.
- ---
[from the section marked "Hard Currency:"] and by changing:
- ---
     A player may donate any Tradeable, non-mimsy entity they own to the
     Treasury by publically announcing they are doing so. If the item is
     a Trinket, it is converted into its value in A$ upon transferrence
     to the Treasury.
- ---
to:
- ---
     A player may donate any gift or tradeable entity they own to the
     Treasury by publically announcing they are doing so.  If the item is
     a Trinket, it is converted into its value in A$ upon transferrence
     to the Treasury.
- ---
[...a minor bug fix while I'm in here...]

11.  Rule 710 ("Criminal Justice") is amended by changing:
- ---
     7a) Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge may retain or alter the
     recommended penalty. The result will become the actual penalty. This
     will be imposed following a 3 day "grace period". This takes
     precedence over all other mutable rules which establish or
     dis-establish a grace period.
- ---
to:
- ---
     7a) Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge may retain or alter the
     recommended penalty. The result will become the actual penalty. This
     will be imposed following a 3 day "grace period".
- ---

12.  Rule 712 ("Gaoler") is amended by removing:
- ---
     This clause takes precedence over any other mutable
     rule regulating A$ transfers.
- ---
[The rule is talking about bribing the Gaoler.]

13.  Rule 721 ("Organizations") is amended by changing:
- ---
     4.
     No Player may be forced to become a member of an Organization
     against their will. This section takes precedence over any other
     rule pertaining to membership in Organizations.
- ---
to:
- ---
     4.  No Player may be forced to become a member of an Organization
     against their will.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:35:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1504 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:45:31 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1504

Proposal 1504 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:43 CST 1996
Casting Bonus Votes is a Voting Action, and Be Consistent
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend Rule 793, "Proposal Bribery", by adding the following after item C
in section II:  "D. Using a Bonus Vote by rule 1386."

Amend Rule 1269 by changing "Bonus-Vote" to "Bonus Vote". [section 4b]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:35:59 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1505 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:45:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1505

Proposal 1505 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:44 CST 1996
Voting with Bonus Votes
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal.

In R793, add the following text as section II D:
"Casting a Bonus Vote by rule 1386."

In R1269 replce all occureces of "Bonus-Vote" with "Bonus Vote"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:36:09 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1506 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:46:05 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1506

Proposal 1506 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:44 CST 1996
Simpler Swinger Pricing Schemes
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal.

In R726 replace the text "A$600 are transferred" with the text
"An amount of A$ equal to (100 + (Number of Swinger multiplied by 50)) is
transferred"

{{[Yes, it does make sense. The less seats there, the higher the price,
but it doesn't keep changing like my previous proposal. The maximum price
is lower than the current price.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:36:16 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1507 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:46:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1507

Proposal 1507 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:44 CST 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece Kamikaze
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule, a member of the Party Chess Rule Suite, with text as 
follows:

1. A Kamikaze is represented by the ASCII character Z.
2. Its material value is 6.
3. A Kamikaze's move consists of two parts:
   First, the Kamikaze moves from 1 to 6 squares in any horizontal or 
   vertical direction.  Second, it moves from 1 to 6 squares, at a right 
   angle to its direction of motion in the first half of its move.  It 
   must make both halves of its move in order to move at all.  It may not 
   jump over any pieces in its path.
4. If a Kamikaze captures a piece, the capturing Kamikaze is destroyed 
   immediately after it makes the capture.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:37:25 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I have seen the following express a desire to play Fictionary:
> 
> /dev/joe
> Habeous Corpus
> Malenkai
> snowgod
> 
> I am sure others have that I have missed.  If you wish to play Fictionary,

I would like to play, too.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:38:49 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1511

Proposal 1511 -- Wed 4 Dec 17:34 CST 1996
Steal
Clairence (Clair Anthony Vigilone)

    I would like to make a rule called "steal". On his turn, a player may
attempt to steal an amount of points from another player, and add the
points he has stolen to his own points. The method for determining if a
player sucessfully steals would be to flip a number of coins. The number of
coins that you flip is determined by this: For every point you are
attempting to steal, flip a coin. Then, you tally how many heads you got
and how many tails you got. If you got a majority of heads, you sucessfully
steal. If you get a majority of tails, you fail to steal... which has
pentalties. The pentalties for stealing is reducing your score by the
number of points you were trying to steal divided by 2. Example: I want to
steal 2 points from Bob. I flip 2 coins, they both are tails. I fail my
steal, and my score is reduced by 1 point.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:39:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1512

Proposal 1512 -- Wed 4 Dec 17:34 CST 1996
Allowing More Unique Party Chess Pieces
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.
Add the following text to rule 985.1, section 3, immediately after 
subsection H.

I.  A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which the 
position on the Party Board of a piece it defines enhances or restricts the 
moves or captures available to other pieces.  PartyChessPieceDef rules defer 
to such enhancements or restrictions.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:39:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1513

Proposal 1513 -- Wed 4 Dec 17:34 CST 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece Bouncy!Ball
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule, a member of the Party Chess rule suite, with text as 
follows.

1. A Bouncy!Ball is represented by the ASCII character !
2. A Bouncy!Ball may move any number of squares in any single direction, 
and it may and must jump over exactly one other piece in doing so.  This 
piece must occupy SQn its direction of motion, where the destination 
square is SQ(2n) in its direction of motion.
3. A Bouncy!Ball's material value is 5.
4. The physical appearance of a Bouncy!Ball is that of a large rubber 
sphere, colored primarily in the color associated with its controlling 
Swinger, but featuring several swirls of bright fluorescent shades.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:40:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1514

Proposal 1514 -- Wed 4 Dec 17:35 CST 1996
I Wonder What Would Happen If...
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.  Add the following to the end of R1369.1, part IV

If ever the number of Otzma Cards of a given type exceeds a limit set by the
rule which defines that type of Otzma Card, one randomly selected Otzma Card 
of that type shall be destroyed.  This shall be repeated until the number of 
Otzma Cards of that type does not exceed the aforementioned limit. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 18:38:43 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1503 (fwd)

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Proposal 1503 -- Tue 3 Dec 9:43 CST 1996
> Killing 13 Blanket Precedence Clauses
> Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

Fortunately I did not start this part of my project to simplify the
rules, this was one item on my list.

> 9.  Rule 615 ("Speaker") is amended by changing:
> ---
>      This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules, except that it
>      defers to R 779.
> ---
> to
> ---
>      This Rule defers to Rule 779 ("Succession Proceedings").

R 779 was atomized recently.  This rule change will have no effect.
No matter, I will take care of this one in my RFC (if I ever get to it).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:47:46 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: Forming a new political party 

>> Robert Sevin, who is still (even if he doesn't need to any more)...
>> Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
>Mr. Sevin, rule 937, which governs all behaviors involving that entity 
>known as the "Silly Vacation Hat," explicitly states that 14 days after 
>returning from vacation, a player wearing a Silly Vacation Hat shall 
>remove said item of frivolous haberdashery, upon which it (the hat, not 
>the player) shall immediately disintegrate and be removed from our fair 
>game.  Please comply with this rule, or I will have no choice but to call 
>a CFCJ.  Bah!

Hmmm. Harf.

Robert Sevin, who may or may not be (you'll just have to guess)...
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 18:50:57 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Blackmail and other official stuff

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Due to the sudden change in Ackanomic demagraphics,  I must submit to
> snowgod's despicable blackmail without awaiting the outcome of Malenkai's
> CFJ.

The verdict was found non-favorable to your position.

> I hereby transfer A$500 to snowgod for the safew return of my Whamiol.

Noted.  Note that you do not receive the Whamiol until snowgod reveals
that the conditions for finding the treasure have been met, and the
actual map is published.
 
> I would also like to bid on the Pyraic Frobnotzer if it's not too late.

Too late.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:55:35 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: water, water, everywhere...

By my count, there were four non-vacationing priests on december 1.

snowgod
Calvin N Hobbes
Bascule
Guy Fawkes

Of these, only Calvin and I prayed to forstall the floods.  If any 
other priests prayed or were on vacation, please state such.  Otherwise, 
five more buildings in Acka should be dangling.

Guy Fawkes
disgusted with this heathen state of ours :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:06:35 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: water, water, everywhere...

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> By my count, there were four non-vacationing priests on december 1.
> 
> snowgod
> Calvin N Hobbes
> Bascule
> Guy Fawkes
> 
> Of these, only Calvin and I prayed to forstall the floods.  If any
> other priests prayed or were on vacation, please state such.  Otherwise,
> five more buildings in Acka should be dangling.

I am certain that I remember snowgod praying, thus only Bascule's
house dangles.  Please correct me if I am wrong, so I can do the random
determination.

Then again, my records have snowgod praying on the second of december
in accordance with R 115.  I will (assuming it is my duty), dangle some
buildings later.  

Malenkai
busy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:23:03 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Voting stuff

My sincerest appologies to those of you who may have lost points due to
the failure of a couple of the recent Proposals as a result of my
abstentions.  I didn't mean to abstain on so many,  but the sheer weight
of the backlog of my mail prevented me from reading all of those that
were up for vote during my vacation.  There may even be a couple still in
the que that I haven't been able to get to.

BTW,  part of the problem was my mail server was dead for most of last
weekend and didn't get up until late Monday night.  There's still a
couple of digests I haven't been able to read yet.  From the tone of some
of the conversations,  I missed some interesting stuff last week.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:28:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Registrar (new player - Mentor Malenkai)

Uri Bruck wrote:
 
> We have a new player
> His real name is Eric Freeman
> He has chosen the Ackanomic name AirHead

- ----

> We have a new player in the game

> Real Name - John Lotz
> Ackanomnic name - Jammer

AirHead's starting cash is A$594.
Jammer's starting cash is A$596.

Note there is a potential paradox here which I am ignoring due to being
pressed for time; viz when does the mentor pay get figured into the
average player A$ balance when calculating the new player balance.

My interpretation as an officer is no, due to the game custom and spirit
of the game that a mentor is chosen *after* the player has joined.  
Dubious.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:39:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka: On Simple Majority rule

> >Maybe.  But isn't a "rule change" still "a description of a game effect"?
> >(R491/5)  It seems to me that this proposal describes several game
> >effects.  I don't think putting them in braces changes that.  (Does it?)
> 
> >>>On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>Create a new rule with text as follows:
> >>>>
> >>>>{{ Transmute rule XXX to mutable.
> >>>>Amendment, amendment amendment.
> >>>>Transmute rule XXX to immutable.}}
> 
> We are up to revision 7 of R491, but a "rule change" is still "a
> description of a game effect."  Whether the example proposal describes
> more than one game effect is debatable, but I think that the answer
> should be that it does not.
> 
> The braces are irrelevant; I could write the same proposal, not much
> longer, without them.  If one version contained multiple rule changes,
> then so would the other.  The question, therefore, is whether
> "encapsulated" descriptions of game effects qualify as rule changes
> under the auspices of R491.  There is no game custom to support either
> side, for multiple-rule-change proposals became allowed before the
> definition of the term "Rule Change" was changed to its present form.
	There is ample game custom saying that descriptions of changes 
embedded within changes are *not* rule changes themselves (in the same 
context).  Read the rest of rule 491; if indeed every "description of a 
game effect" that appears in a proposal is a rule change, then we've been 
breaking the rules for a very long time, in the way we've interpreted 
the last few hundred proposals...
	I don't think that interpreting quoted material differently from 
non-quoted material is a stretch of normal English usage.  We do it all 
the time....  Hmm.  Dangerous possibility, this.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:43:47 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NAP swinger

> Brinjal has left the an acceptable NAP board position. In the absence of a
> player to fill that Seat, it would become Warm in a couple of days, and in
> two Rounds they would be removed.
	I looked at Brinjal's position... I don't really like it that
much...  I thought about taking his Seat, but I do *not* have the time and
I had a dream recently in which I lost all Brinjal's pieces in a matter of
seconds.  So.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:48:14 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  YORL  Turn #1

> OK, so who's turn is it, and what is the current text of the
> story, and who are the bards?
> 
> I just read your proto version of the rules, so chastise me if these
> questions are inappropriate.

Okay, the game has begun.

"Ye Olde Rusty Lantern"  Story #1

There are 51 cards in the deck.
                       Bascule has   7 cards.
                      /dev/joe has   7 cards.
                       snowgod has   7 cards.
                Habeous-Corpus has   7 cards.
                      Malenkai has   7 cards.

It is Bascule's turn.  The Bards are seated in the order shown.  If you'd 
like to join this proto-game, send me mail and I'll sign you up and send 
your cards.

There is no story yet; as soon as there is I'll add installments to a Web 
page at www.cbu.edu/~jorendor/yorl0.html

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:05:37 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: official - new player (mentor snowgod)

Uri Bruck wrote:
 
> We have a new player in Ackanomic
> his real name is Steven Swiniarski
> his ackanomic is Swann
> his email is [email-masked]

- ----

> We have a new player in ackanomic.
> Real name - Clair Anthony Viglione
> Ackanomic name Clairence
> Email address [email-masked]

Swann's starting cash is A$597, Clairence's is A$599

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:14:48 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Tornado Warning

A Tornado will strike Acka at 9:06 EST on December 21.
Unsheltered players will have their scores scrambled in accordance
with rule 1253.

I decided to go looking for the exact time of the solstice on the web,
rather than just having the date posted (which I took from my calendar),
since the event is coming in less than 3 weeks, and timing might be
important.  The interesting page where I found the time has a link on
the scores page, next to where the Tornado time is given.

I will probably be going home for Christmas on that day, although I'll
still be here at the time of the tornado, and I will try to get out
a report of the pre-tornado scores before I leave, so that players can
know their scores.  The actual scrambling is to be performed by the
officer in charge of random things.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:37:18 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1511

> Proposal 1511 -- Wed 4 Dec 17:34 CST 1996
> Steal
> Clairence (Clair Anthony Vigilone)
> 
>     I would like to make a rule called "steal". On his turn, a player may
> attempt to steal an amount of points from another player, and add the
> points he has stolen to his own points. The method for determining if a
> player sucessfully steals would be to flip a number of coins. The number of
> coins that you flip is determined by this: For every point you are
> attempting to steal, flip a coin. Then, you tally how many heads you got
> and how many tails you got. If you got a majority of heads, you sucessfully
> steal. If you get a majority of tails, you fail to steal... which has
> pentalties. The pentalties for stealing is reducing your score by the
> number of points you were trying to steal divided by 2. Example: I want to
> steal 2 points from Bob. I flip 2 coins, they both are tails. I fail my
> steal, and my score is reduced by 1 point.

This proposal won't work, and should be retracted.

The first problem is that Ackanomic doesn't have turns.  This might work
in a turn-based nomic, where each player, on his turn, could make a proposal
or do any other one action allowed by the rules.  Perhaps the author has
previously played a turn-based nomic somewhere that allowed something like
this.  Some of the subgames like Party Chess and Ghost have turns, but
Ackanomic as a whole doesn't.

The second problem is that, since the average result of attempting to
steal points is a gain for the player doing the stealing, there is no
reason for any player not to steal and steal and keep stealing until
he wins the game.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:34:02 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Processing Chips

Processing Chips are awarded as follows for P 1452 thru 1486:

p1457 +3 Robert Sevin
p1458 +3 Robert Sevin
p1476 +4 Malenkai
p1477 +4 Malenkai
p1478 +4 Niccolo Flychuck
p1481 +4 Niccolo Flychuck
p1482 +4 Niccolo Flychuck

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:44:55 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Gaoler 

>snowgod was the only volunteer for Gaoler; thus he wins the office
>without election.
>
>Malenkai
>Speaker

Funny isn't it?  Ackanomic's premeir criminal. the gaoler?  What a hoot.
And I thought it was ironic when i was elected, and re-elected president!

snowgod
getting ready to lock myself up

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:48:27 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: National Identity 

>My favorite style is heavy metal.  My favorite bands, many of which
>are not considered heavy metal, are 13 Engines, Barenaked Ladies,
>October Project, Renaissance, Offspring, Caravan, Iron Maiden, TMBG and
>so much more.  The problem with heavy metal is that while the *style*
>is great, the bands that commercially record it generally are not.
>

Ooh scary,, the same bands are on my list (with TMBG at the top of course)
minus 13 Engines.  In addition to metal and whatever TMBG is I also love
the blues.  Duke Robbilard to Taj Mahal.  It's all cool.

snowgod
don't forget primus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:48:25 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Welcome New Players!!! 

>Malenkai
>back from the beautiful island of Nevis, West Indies

welcome back!

snowgod
stuck in cold dreary alaska

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:49:39 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Blackmail and other official stuff 

>Due to the sudden change in Ackanomic demagraphics,  I must submit to
>snowgod's despicable blackmail without awaiting the outcome of Malenkai's
>CFJ.
>
>I hereby transfer A$500 to snowgod for the safew return of my Whamiol.

My point being made, I hereby transfer A$499 back to Habeous Corpus and ask
him to stand up and take a bow for his fine performance.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:50:52 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: promotion problems 

>Yesterday, I distributed proposals 1503-1510.  When none of them came
>back to me, I sent out a query asking if anyone else got them, which
>never came back to me, either.  This is another such query.  Has anyone
>received proposals 1503-1510?
>
>Guy Fawkes

I'm sure you know by now, but I have recieved P1503-1510.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:53:06 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1508 

>Proposal 1508 -- Tue 3 Dec 20:17 CST 1996
>This Is Where The Party Ends
>Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)
>
>No player may shake hands with the Devil and then later claim to have been
>"only kidding" (or something substantially similar in meaning).

But can I stand by with you, you and your rascist friend?

snowgod
bandwidth criminal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:05:30 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Blackmail and other official stuff 

>Noted.  Note that you do not receive the Whamiol until snowgod reveals
>that the conditions for finding the treasure have been met, and the
>actual map is published.

Habeous Corpus's trqansfer of A$500 to my account fulfilled the conditions
of the map, and the map that I reported was the actual map.  He has found
his whamiol

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:06:32 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: water, water, everywhere... 

>By my count, there were four non-vacationing priests on december 1.
>
>snowgod
>Calvin N Hobbes
>Bascule
>Guy Fawkes
>
>Of these, only Calvin and I prayed to forstall the floods.  If any
>other priests prayed or were on vacation, please state such.  Otherwise,
>five more buildings in Acka should be dangling.
>
>Guy Fawkes
>disgusted with this heathen state of ours :)

I( prayed at about 11:30PM on December 1.  Did it fail to come across the list?

snowgod
who figured that just Bascule was left dangling

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:20:26 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Financier please note 

I hereby transfer A$15 to Malenkai's Legal Serice in care of Malenkai for
services rendered.

snowgod
who is considering renting out his .sig file again

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #376
*******************************