Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #370
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, December 1 1996       Volume 01 : Number 370

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 01:05:37 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says 

>snowgod did not report what Phoebe said.  She has been found by 
>Calvin N Hobbes.

- -----------------------------

Under a heavy workload from the deciphering of the Scrolls, I was briskly
pacing around Ackanomic. The breeze was freshening up, and worried that
condensation might interfere with my suction shoes, leaving me dangling for
my life, I decided to head back home.

Obviously, I had not been paying attention, for I did not immediately
realize where I was. Then, I heard a high pitched voice calling my name.

"Calvin, Calvin, it is time we spoke, you and I."

I was stunned. There, lying in the half cut grass of the front garden of
Wayne's now haunted house, was the pretty box I had often heard of but never
seen. Trembling, stirred by the knowledge that I had just heard the voice of
the Ancients themselves, I reached for the box. And opened it.

And there she was, Phoebe. Just as others had said and legend promised,
speaking words of wisdom.

"Ackaphysicist, you have the duty to translate the Scrolls to all of Acka,
and already you have done much. However, I know that you have found a
passage so interesting and complex, that you know not how to proceed."

This was all too true and I nodded. I walked over to my house, and showed
her the tome. There, for one week, she helped me with the stranger
inscriptions. Then, with the work advancing at last but not yet completed,
she spoke again while on one of our late walks through the nocturnal city.

"Remember Calvin, that the Ancients may be revered as deities for their
awesome powers and knowledge, because they were beyond the comprehension of
Today. But you must not succumb to this spell. The Ancients made mistakes,
as all sentient do. They also made much more costly mistakes than any of you
ever will.

And this you have found out. Just as I have shown you differences between
some of the reports in the Tome. The Tome is a collection of their lives,
their work, their knowledge. But it also much more. By recording both their
greatest successes and their greatest failures, they hoped to inspire the
Next Ones to greater heights. Does one not learn more from errors? Why
repeat the errors that have already been made?

A large part of the Spirit of the Ancients lives on in eleven parts
scattered in this universe. The land of Acka is the 1st eleventh of their
essence. The tome is the 10th eleventh of their essence captured. I am the
7th eleventh. There are more, but two eleventh have been lost never to be
found."

I was about to ask why, and where, and how, when Phoebe cut me off with an
eerily quiet voice, surprising in its gentle forcefulness:

"Perhaps not lost forever!"

Surprised, still in shock from knowing what she was, an intelligent object
of the Ancient, I stuttered trying to speak more, ask all the questions I
had racing in my head. But they all got stuck in a bottleneck somewhere in
my mind. My fumbling fingers reached to hold on to the slipping box but it
was too late: it fell.

I looked and looked around the Senate, which was where I was passing by at
the time, but I found naught. So I returned home to try and complete my work.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 01:11:02 -0600 (CST)
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Help with my house! 

I'm trying to put my house back down. Using a ladder is a pain.

Could two people help me out?

Oh... and where are the next prayers required?
CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 23:30:42 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Help with my house! 

>I'm trying to put my house back down. Using a ladder is a pain.
>
>Could two people help me out?
>
>Oh... and where are the next prayers required?
>CnH

Fear not, Calvin... I will help with your house.  If someone else choses to
purchase wings we should be able to do it.  And the next prayers are due on
Decmeber first... I don't believe the holiday effects them, as they are
called for on a specific date, not after the end of a period.

snowgod
rama-lama-ding-dong

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 02:30:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1490

> I really like this one, although it does give the RuneMaker the power to
> create, at least temporarily, Cards, that would have otherwise not passed
> as rules. E can create such a Card on the Otzma Day using the
> Deterministic method, and, with enough resources, perhaps even make sure e
> acquires it.
	Maybe.  But there's always impeachment--and the change doesn't 
just create a new type of card; it also affects all *existing* Blank 
cards.  So after the first few months, I don't see that the Runemaker can 
risk doing anything too drastic; there'll be Blank cards out there, ready 
to be (ab)used.
	I'm comfortable with the prop as written, but if it fails I'll
repropose it (after a long, teary mouring period) in a
safer-for-mass-consumption form. 

> Then again, perhaps I'll vote for it anyway, after all, I am the
> RuneMaker.
	*laugh*  Go ahead... get cocky... All I have to do is build the 
right Gadget and I'll have your job.  ;>

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:32:45 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1490

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > I really like this one, although it does give the RuneMaker the power to
> > create, at least temporarily, Cards, that would have otherwise not passed
> > as rules. E can create such a Card on the Otzma Day using the
> > Deterministic method, and, with enough resources, perhaps even make sure e
> > acquires it.
> 	Maybe.  But there's always impeachment--and the change doesn't 
> just create a new type of card; it also affects all *existing* Blank 
Naturally.

> cards.  So after the first few months, I don't see that the Runemaker can 
> risk doing anything too drastic; there'll be Blank cards out there, ready 
> to be (ab)used.
> 	I'm comfortable with the prop as written, but if it fails I'll
> repropose it (after a long, teary mouring period) in a
> safer-for-mass-consumptionform. 
> 
> > Then again, perhaps I'll vote for it anyway, after all, I am the
> > RuneMaker.
> 	*laugh*  Go ahead... get cocky... All I have to do is build the 
> right Gadget and I'll have your job.  ;>
While the process would slightly longer for me, I believe one of my
trinkets can produce the converse effect.

Niccolo Flychuck

ps- Impeachment is a strong enough check on this proposal IMO.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:40:49 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: snowgod's gifs

I  added a couple of snowgod's gifs to the PartyChess home page and to the
Games & Conests web page.

There're also a coupla more gifs he sent me, which I'll add as well.

Thanks snowgod

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 12:19:16 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  G&C RFC "Ye Olde Rusty Lantern"

I'd like to play an unofficial game of this, to see whether it works, 
before submitting it as a G&C proposal.  It is based on a real published 
card game, "Once Upon a Time" (must hurry here got five minutes to move) 
but I like my version better... more later.  I have some possible changes 
in mind, to make the game more fair (but it's already -long-)... so.

I'll be TM for this game.  I have the list of cards ready.  Anyone who
wants to join, just say so.  :o)

- ---
"Ye Olde Rusty Lantern" (a storytelling game)

[Synopsis:  the players (called Bards) are dealt a hand of cards.  Each
card bears a word or phrase describing a possible story element.  The 
Bards take turns telling parts of a tale, playing cards by bringing the 
corresponding story elements into the yarn.  When a Bard finishes the 
story by tying off all the loose ends and playing eir last card, e wins.]

Equipment:
    some cards (to be provided by the Tavern Master)
    Ale (generated as needed)
    a solid wooden table and benches

[the Tavern Master]
The Tavern Master is the person who started the game.  When e goes on 
vacation, the tale is suspended until e returns.  If e should quit, the
tale unceremoniously ends.
 
[Bards]
The Tavern Master may not be a Bard.  Anyone else may join (becoming a 
Bard) at any time.  Any Bard may leave at any time.  If it is a Bard's 
turn when e leaves, e is considered to have passed.  The Bards are all 
imagined to sit around a table in the Tavern Master's tavern, so 
whenever someone joins, the Tavern Master shall choose a place around the 
table for em to sit.
 
[Cards]
The Tavern Master shall privately make (or obtain) a long list of story
elements before starting the game.  Each story element is represented by 
one card.  During the game, each card is either in the deck, held by one 
of the Bards, on the table, or burned.  They all start out in the deck.  
The Tavern Master keeps track of the cards.  Each time the Tavern Master
posts a public update of the game, he should post the number of cards 
held by each Bard (but not which cards are held by whom), list the cards 
lying on the table, and tell whose turn it is.  Each Bard receives seven 
cards upon joining.  When a Bard leaves, eir cards return to the deck.
 
When a Bard receives cards, the Tavern Master chooses them randomly from 
the deck and sends them to that Bard via private mail.  If there are not 
enough cards in the deck, the Tavern Master shall either end the tale
(lamely) or add story elements to his list of cards.  A card is added to 
the deck for each new story element.  The cards are then handed out as 
needed, and the tale goes on.
 
[Gameplay]
As soon as the Tavern Master is ready to begin, e chooses a Bard to go
first and names em publicly.  It is that Bard's turn.
 
On eir turn, a Bard either tries to make a play, or passes.  If e 
successfully makes a play, it is still eir turn.  When a play is denied 
(which happens, alas, to the best Bards from time to time) or the Bard 
passes, play goes to the next Bard, clockwise around the table.
 
[Passing]
A Bard may pass explicitly.  Also, when the Tavern Owner notices that 
a Bard is asleep (i.e. it has been eir turn continuously for three days 
or more, and e has not tried a play in all that time) and posts a message 
to that effect, that Bard is considered to have passed.  When a Bard 
passes, e receives a card.
 
[Plays]
A Bard attempts a play by sending a public message with the word 
"Lantern" in the subject header.  The text of the message should be
twelve to twenty-five lines of suitable prose to add to (or start) the 
tale.  If the Bard has any cards, the last line of the message should 
specify one of them.
 
The Tavern Master shall then reply, either verifying that the play was
successful, or denying it.  E may, in addition to verifying the play, 
announce that the card thus played is a new Loose End.  This is done 
when, in the Tavern Master's opinion, an interesting element is added to 
the game and isn't resolved right away:  a villain is introduced; a map 
is found; a prophesy is made.  When a card becomes a Loose End, it goes 
on the table, face up.  When a card is successfully played, but doesn't
become a Loose End, it is burned.  [The tale isn't complete until all the 
Loose Ends have been tied off.]  When a Bard attempts to play a card but 
is denied, the card is burned, and the Bard receives two cards to 
replace it.
 
The Tavern Master may deny a play for any of the following reasons:  it 
is incomprehensible; it is a non sequitur from the previous bit of the 
story; it is not in the spirit of the game [e.g. the Bard is blatantly 
and rudely playing to get rid of cards rather than for the fun of the 
story]; it is too long or too short; the Bard has cards, but none of them 
is specified; no card was specified, and no Loose Ends were tied off; or 
a card was specified, but the text didn't bring it into the tale.
 
That last reason begs some explanation.  The text of a play is required
to bring into the story the ideas specified on the card.  [e.g.  If a
card bears the word "disguise", the Bard may play it only if he works
a disguise into the story.]  It's a matter of taste how central an idea 
must be in order to qualify.  Generally, it is insufficient simply to 
discuss an item (it must be present), to mention the possibility of an 
event (it must take place), or to have a character talk about another
character in dialogue (he must actually be introduced.)  In any case, the
Tavern Master's reply is final.
 
The Tavern Master may, in addition to verifying the play, announce that
one or more of the Loose Ends on the table have been resolved.  This 
means that the most recent play has tied off those parts of the story.
A Bard receives one Ale for each Loose End tied off by eir play.  [This 
is just for fun.  Originally I wanted to award the Bards points for their 
Ale at the end of the game, but I think it's all too open to abuse for 
that just yet.  We'll see how it's played.]
 
[Interruptions]
A Bard may try to interrupt any attempted play, either before or after 
the Tavern Master replies to it, by announcing the interruption, along 
with the play being interrupted and the name of a card the interrupting 
Bard holds.  [The idea is that the story element on this card is, by 
coincidence, a part of the story that the current Bard is telling; the 
interrupting Bard now takes over the tale.]
 
An interruption never causes any of the tale to be discarded.  Neither 
does it have any effect on the success or denial of any play currently 
being attempted.  When a play and an interruption are both being 
attempted, the Tavern Master must reply to the play first (regardless of 
which message e received first).
 
The Tavern Master shall reply to each interruption, either verifying that 
it was successful, or denying it.  If the interruption is successful, 
then it is immediately the interrupting Bard's turn, and the Bard who 
was interrupted receives a card.  If it is denied, the interrupting Bard 
is given two extra cards, as a penalty.  In any case, the specified card 
(if it is indeed one that the interrupting Bard holds) is burned.
 
The Tavern Master may deny an interruption for any of the following 
reasons:  it comes too late (i.e. the play being interrupted was 
attempted more than, say, three days ago); the story element on the 
specified card was not sufficiently mentioned in the play that was 
interrupted; the card specified is not one the interrupting Bard has.  
Again, what qualifies as a sufficient mention is up to the Tavern Master, 
but in this case e is encouraged to be lenient.
 
[Winning]
When a Bard successfully makes a play, with the result that e no longer 
has any cards and all Loose Ends are tied off, that Bard wins.  If the 
story isn't quite "done" yet, the winning Bard may finish it however e 
pleases.  Once that's done, the tale ends.
- ---

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 21:27:27 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Registrar (new player - Mentor Malenkai)

We have a new player
His real name is Eric Freeman
He has chosen the Ackanomic name AirHead
his e-mail is [email-masked]

His reply to the poll question was:

I heard of nomic games on somebody's personal home page and then
a MetaCrawler search for nomic sites brought me to your Ackanomic
page.

Eric Freeman

Malenkai has been chosen to be his Mentor

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 21:51:43 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Registrar- new player (mentor Niccolo Flychuck)

We have a new player in the game

Real Name - John Lotz
Ackanomnic name - Jammer

E-mail [email-masked]

reply to poll question:

As a result of a Webfind, a piece of commercial software, search on Nomic
Ackanomic scored 7 hits through a number of Search Engines. 
 I had to delay joining
due to some work related problems.  Regarding Nomics :  I r
ead the Gardner article and 
saw a couple of posts and comments regarding online Nomics, so I decided to try.

Niccolo Flychuck has been chosen as eir Mentor

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 21:57:19 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Welcome to Ackanomic

I'd like to welcome AirHead and Jammer to Ackanomic.

There also quite a few potential new players out there. I guess some of us
have started doing the promo circuit.

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 00:58:01 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: RuneMaker's web-page

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find any refference to the RuneMaker's
page on the Ackanomic home page. So here's the address again

http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/otzma/

Niccolo Flychuck
RuneMaker

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 14:09:40 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Welcome New Players!!! 

Welcome Jammer and Airhead.  It's always great to see new players in the
game.  You've joined us a during a Holiday (called by the president, not to
be confused with the real-world thanksgiving holiday) with a duration of
three days so activity might seem a little slow for a bit.  I belive
AirHeads mentor is away from his computer until monday (as are a bunch of
players) so If there are any questions we can answer before your mentor
returns feel free to send them to the list.

Hope we can help... hope you enjoy the game.

snowgod
president
ambassador
so much more

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:14:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Welcome to Ackanomic

> I'd like to welcome AirHead and Jammer to Ackanomic.

And Whamiols everywhere suddenly become calm again....

breadbox

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #370
*******************************