Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #368
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, November 29 1996       Volume 01 : Number 368

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 08:14:48 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1490

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1490 --Tue 26 Nov 15:24 CST 1996
> Otzma Card Type Blank
> Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

I really like this one, although it does give the RuneMaker the power to
create, at least temporarily, Cards, that would have otherwise not passed
as rules. E can create such a Card on the Otzma Day using the
Deterministic method, and, with enough resources, perhaps even make sure e
acquires it. 
Perhaps if there were a fourth voting option on this hearing - None -
which would change the last paragraph of the rule back to an initial
state.
Then again, perhaps I'll vote for it anyway, after all, I am the
RuneMaker.

 > 
> A new Rule is created as a member of the Otzma Cards Rule Suite; it is
> titled "Otzma Card Type Blank", and reads:
> ---
> The Runemaker has the Duty of calling a Hearing sometime in the week
> leading up to the first Friday in January, 1997, to determine the ability
> and counteraction of blank Otzma cards.  The valid responses will be the
> letters A, B, and C; at the time the Runemaker calls the Hearing he must,
> in order to fulfill the Duty, post three separate paragraphs, one each
> labelled A, B, and C, which are possible definitions for an Otzma Card
> type.  (The Runemaker is encouraged to take submissions for possible Blank
> Otzma Card actions inbetweentimes, and use his favorite submissions as A,
> B, and C.)
> 
> When such a Hearing ends, if the verdict indicates one of the paragraphs
> in the Runemaker's message, the paragraph following "played:" below shall be
> replaced with the paragraph indicated by the verdict.  Then, the month 
> and year in the first paragraph of this rule shall be changed to indicate 
> the next following month on the Julian calendar that will last for 31 days.
> 
> Until that Hearing occurs, when a Blank Otzma Card is played:
> 
> A chicken shall flop out from the Runemaker's robes and chase the Players
> around.  The Players can run, but they can't hide.  After three days of
> chasing, the Players shall collapse in a heap, the chicken shall bite them
> all, and they shall all then have chicken fever, indefinitely. 
> Counteraction:  the chicken shall be struck with a Ray of Chicken
> Expansion and a bolt of lightning from the sky, in quick succession, and
> the Players shall all have fried chicken (and no tea) for a week.
> ---
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 08:17:25 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: RuneMaker

Did anybody notice the cool Runes I found and placed on the RuneMaker's
page?

Niccolo Flychuck
RuneMaker

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:08:02 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  otzma cards and gadgets

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > A single tier?
> > 
> > I think some rules should be more considered more fundamental than others.
> 
> If this were the case, then it should be more difficult to get a
> majority or super-majority to repeal them.  For example, the voting
> rule seems more fundamental than the magic potato rule (at least to
> me), therefore it will be harder to repeal or destructively amend.  
> There lies your tier: In the mind of the electorate.

OTOH, we've had cases of rules passing by large majorities, only to have
bugs found in them later. Thus the original 'all new rules are mutable'
concept makes sense in a multi-tier system. You can't just create an
Immutable, because it would more difficult to ammend it later. The latter
is no longer true in Ackanomic, the only effect of making a rule Immutable
is giving it blanket precedence over all Mutables.

 > 
> Once you start adding tiers, it seems to me you are sayingthat people
> cannot think for themselves what is more important.  This may be true

I'm not saying anything of the sort. A multi-tier system would reflect
acka's view on the desirable relations between rules, and might make
some rules simpler to phrase. 
I think we should either add tiers, perhaps starting a move which would
eventually bring us towards a Power-like system (changing to such a system
overnight seems too big a change for me to do all at once), or go the
other route and abolish tiers entirely, as Malenkai suggests.
I believe the former would reduce complexity rather than add it, since
some of the existing complexity would be built into the structure of the
ruleset, thus some of the complexity would be distributed as a function of
form rather than content.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 05:35:11 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  otzma cards and gadgets

Uri Bruck wrote:

> I think we should either add tiers, perhaps starting a move which would
> eventually bring us towards a Power-like system (changing to such a system
> overnight seems too big a change for me to do all at once), or go the
> other route and abolish tiers entirely, as Malenkai suggests.

I hope to eliminate the immutables when I get back (give the boot to
R 108, among a host of other changes), then someone can add more tiers
if they like to a single tier ruleset.  I personally think tiers will
add complexity with no compensatory benefits, and my goal now is to
simplify and organize the rules as much as possible, so new players
are not confused.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 03:06:49 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Ears 

As he was winding his way into the wilds of ackanomic, thorugh the streets
of our fair city, presumably on his way the that part of the earth called
the 'top' I happened to notice that the esteemed Justice mr cwm was wearing
but one pointy ear.  I cannot help myself as I laugh at him.

snowgod

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #368
*******************************