Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #364
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, November 25 1996       Volume 01 : Number 364

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:43:43 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1438 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1438 - Sun 10 Nov 12:56 CST 1996
Vault Divination
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

/dev/joe                     Vulcan

ThinMan

Vulcan
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
snowgod                      (None Yet)
mr cwm                       (None Yet)
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
Habeous Corpus                               +3
Mohammed                                     +3
breadbox                                     +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
Malenkai                     FUN

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
       The CV is hidden within the Gumball. If a player eligible to find
     the CV legally chews the Gumball, he shall find it therein. Other
     players may still chew the Gumball, but they shall not find the CV
     by doing so. If Rule 1430 does not exist, or if after the passage
     of this rule, the CV is sent Somewhere Else by Rule 1430, this
     rule shall repeal itself.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:43:54 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1437 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
11 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1437 - Sun 10 Nov 12:55 CST 1996
Once is Enough
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 5 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

/dev/joe                     Vulcan

Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan

Malenkai                     FUN
ThinMan

Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
snowgod                      (None Yet)
mr cwm                       (None Yet)
(None Yet) Unity Vote
breadbox

NO Votes:
- --------
Habeous Corpus

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
      This is a Modest Proposal

     Amend the third paragraph of R1323 to read in full:

     Upon the agreement of both Players A and B, the rental period
     shall begin, the named amount of A$ shall be transferred from
     Player B to Player A, and Player B shall be considered the owner
     of the named entity(ies) for all purposes except that the only
     action he may take that would cause him to no longer possess the
     rented entity(ies) is to trade them to Player A.

     ----

     Amend the fifth paragraph of R1323 to read in full:

     Upon expiration of the rental period, the rented entity(ies) shall
     return from wherever they are to Player A's possession, unless
     player A is no longer in the game, in which case Player B becomes
     their owner for all purposes.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:02 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1436 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1436 - Sun 10 Nov 12:55 CST 1996
Null Proposals
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

/dev/joe                     Vulcan

Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan

Malenkai                     FUN
ThinMan

Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)

NO Votes:
- --------
snowgod                      (None Yet)
Habeous Corpus
mr cwm                       (None Yet)

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
 This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend R 207 to add the following paragraph at the end of the rule:

     "
     If an accepted proposal does not contain at least one valid rule
     change, no points are scored by any player as a result of that
     proposal being accepted, the preceeding provisions of this rule
     notwithstanding. Such proposals, and only such proposals, are
     "Null Proposals".
     "
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------

     Amend R 549 to replace all occurances of the following in section
     1:

     "
     At all times, a player's Blue Cross Rank is equal to the number of
     proposals he submitted which have been accepted,
     "

     with:

     "
     At all times, a player's Blue Cross Rank is equal to the number of
     non-Null proposals he submitted which have been accepted,
     "

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:11 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1435 Fails 

snowgod -10, tammany bribe

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 4 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS (bummer)

Proposal 1435 - Sun 10 Nov 12:55 CST 1996
Conditional Rule Changes
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai loses 7 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

snowgod                      (None Yet)
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan

Malenkai                     FUN
ThinMan

Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
Tammany

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Habeous Corpus
mr cwm                       (None Yet)

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
NONE

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:19 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1434 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
9 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1434 - Sun 10 Nov 12:54 CST 1996
Bad Pointer Reference II
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

snowgod                      (None Yet)
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
mr cwm                       (None Yet)

Malenkai                     FUN
ThinMan

Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
breadbox
habeous Corpus

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Create a new rule entitled "I'm Going to amend R 491 to permit
     conditional rule changes", with the following text:

     {{
     If Proposal 1412 was accepted, amend R 793 to replace all
     occurrances of "581" with "390".

     [In a completely unrelated note, our new Promoter and Tabulator
     are doing an excellent job in picking up the duties.]
     }}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:33 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1433 Fails 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
5 YES votes - 5 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

Proposal 1433 - Sun 10 Nov 12:54 CST 1996
In Which We Don't Look Out For Number One
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff) Decision:

Mohammed loses 7 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

snowgod                      (None Yet)
habeous Corpus
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)

NO Votes:
- --------
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan           +3
breadbox                                      +3
mr cwm                       (None Yet)       +3

Malenkai                     FUN              +3
ThinMan

Vulcan           +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
NONE

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:58 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1431 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1431 - Sat 9 Nov 9:14 CST 1996
Guarded Proposals
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)

Malenkai                     FUN
habeous Corpus
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
ThinMan

Vulcan
breadbox
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
snowgod                      (None Yet)          +3
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          +3
Mohammed                                         +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Amend Rule 1386 as follows:

     1st Renumber section 7 as section 8.
     2nd Insert the following text immediately following section 6:

     7. A player may pay $A150 to the Treasury to declare any one
     proposal in the voting queue to be a Guarded Proposal. Bonus Votes
     may not used on a Guarded Proposal. Bonus Votes already cast on
     that proposal are not counted, and any player who cast a Bonus
     Vonus that was nullified in this manner is given one Bonus Vote as
     compensation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:44:48 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1432 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1432 - Sat 9 Nov 9:14 CST 1996
Closing Malenkai's Loophole for Gadgets again
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

snowgod                      (None Yet)
mr cwm                       (None Yet)

Malenkai                     FUN
habeous Corpus
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
breadbox

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
ThinMan

Vulcan

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend R 594 to replace the second of the two sections labelled as
     (iv) with: (v) Entites with the same name as a Gadget proposed or
     introduced by a Blueprint may not exist or be created unless they
     are an instance of the Gadget described by said Blueprint.

     {{[there were better ways to do this, with "ghost" or "prototype"
     entity gadgets, and the like, but that complicated the "lonely"
     thing, and opened up more work than I was ready for]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:45:08 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1430 Passes 

Quorum achieved: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal Passes

Proposal 1430 - Sat 9 Nov 9:14 CST 1996
The Crystal Chalice
Haboeus Corpus(Ed Graham)

Habeous Corpus gains 10 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)

snowgod                      (None Yet)
Malenkai                     FUN
habeous Corpus
Mohammed
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
ThinMan

Vulcan

NO Votes:
- --------
breadbox                                         +3
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
/dev/joe                     Vulcan

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Create a Rule entitled: The Crystal Chalice

     {{All extant Keys that open the vault containing the Crystal
     Chalice and all extant Golden Goblets are destroyed, except those
     defined elsewhere in this Rule. The Crystal Chalice and the Vault
     containing the Crystal Chalice are initially located Somewhere
     Else.}}

     The Acka-Entities known as the Crystal Chalice, the Vault
     Containing the Crystal Chalice, Golden Goblets, and the Keys That
     Unlock the Vault Containing the Crystal Chalice exist. The Keys
     That Unlock the Vault Containing the Crystal Chalice and th Golden
     Goblets are Tradable, all other Entities defined by this Rule are
     non-Tradable.

     The Vault Containing the Crystal Chalice (hereafter in this Rule
     known as the Chalice Vault or CV) The CV is a plain metal chest
     with five (5) colored locks, each lock corresponds to one of the
     Keys That Unlock the Vault Containing the Crystal Chalice. They
     are colored Gold, Silver, Bronze, Chartruese, and Purple. Whenever
     the CV is Somewhwere Else, and there is an owner of the Chartruese
     Goose (Goose), any Player may submit a Proposal divining the
     conditions for finding the CV. The conditions for finding the CV
     may never be such that only one Player meets the conditions. The
     owner of the Goose may Propose to divine the conditions for
     finding the CV, but may never, while the owner of the Goose,
     become eligable to find the CV, or claim the Crystal Chalice. No
     other restriction on conditions for finding the CV are
     permissible. If the conditions for finding the CV are such that no
     Player can meet them, or require actions taken outside of Acka,
     other Players are allowed (and encouraged) to vote against the
     Proposal, and sneer and throw small objects (preferrably eddible
     ones) at the Player authoring the Proposal. If the Proposal is
     accepted and the conditions for finding the CV are divined, the
     Chalice Vault is no longer considered to be Somewhere Else, and
     those conditions may not be changed until after such time as it
     goes Somewhere Else, as defined by Rules. This takes Precedence
     over all mutable Rules which would allow a Player to Propose
     changes to the conditions under which the CV is found.

     After the conditions for finding the Chalice Vault are
     established, the five (5) Keys that Unlock the Vault Containing
     the Crystal Chalice (Keys) are created and placed around the neck
     of the Chartruese Goose. The owner of the Goose must dispose of
     the Keys as outlined in this Rule. However, if disposal of any or
     all Keys is not possible because there are no eligable Players,
     the Key(s) shall remain with the Goose until such time as it does
     become possible, or the current Cycle ends, and the owner of the
     Chartreuse Goose shall suffer no penalty. If the Goose goes
     Somewhere Else before all Keys are distributed, or if any Keys are
     returned to the Goose after she has gone Somewhere Else, those
     Keys shall remain with the Goose, even after she is once again
     owned by a Player, and no penalties shall be assessed by any
     Player for failure to distribute the Key(s). If at any time after
     being received by the Goose the Keys become destroyed, the Chalice
     Vault shall immediately go Somewhere Else. No new Keys are created
     until after the CV is no longer Somewhere Else. Players may
     possess Keys only as allowed by Rules.

     No Player may possess any Key more than once as long as there are
     eligable Players who have not yet possessed that Key since the
     conditions for finding the CV have been divined. All Keys must be
     initially distributed to an eligable Player within seven (7) days
     after their creation or their return to the Goose, or the return
     of the Goose from Somewhere Else. After initial distribution, each
     Player shall either redistribute eir Key(s) to another eligable
     Player as outlined in this Rule, or the Key(s) shall be
     responsible for the respective actions taken against that Player
     as outlined below. Any Player possesing one or more Keys may
     attempt to give a Key to a non-eligable Player, but that Key shall
     be immediately returned to the Goose, and that Player shall no
     longer be eligable to receive any Keys for the duration of the
     Cycle. If a Player goes on Vacation or leaves the Game, all Keys
     possessed by that Player are immediately transferred to the
     Chartruese Goose. The owner of the Goose must then distribute the
     Key(s) as an initial distribution in accordance with distribution
     Rules. If any Player possessing any Key(s) becomes the owner of
     the Chartruese Goose, e must immediately distribute the Key(s) in
     accordance with distribution Rules. The owner of the Chartruese
     Goose shall be responsible for monitoring and enforcing the
     transfer of the Keys between Players.

     The Gold Key may be given to any Player whose monetary account has
     a positive number of A$. Immediately, the Key will consume 1A$ for
     every day that the Key remains in eir possession. If at any time,
     the possessor of the Gold Key should have an account balance that
     is not positive, the Key shall be immediately transferred back to
     the Chartreuse Goose. The owner of the Goose must then distribute
     the Key as an initial distribution in accordance with distribution
     Rules. Any A$ consumed by the Gold Key are returned to the
     Treasury at the end of each Cycle.

     The Silver Key may only be given to a Player possessing one or
     more Gadgets. After seven (7) days the Key shall destroy one (1)
     randomly chosen Gadget owned by the Player possessing the Silver
     Key and will destroy an additional Gadget every week until it is
     transferred, or all Gadgets owned by the Player are destroyed. If
     at any time the Player possessing the Silver Key should have no
     Gadgets, , the Key shall be immediately transferred back to the
     Chartreuse Goose. The owner of the Goose must then distribute the
     Key as an initial distribution in accordance with distribution
     Rules.

     The Bronze Key may only be given to a Player possessing one or
     more Processing Chips. After seven (7) days the Key shall destroy
     one Processing Chip owned by the Player possessing the Bronze Key
     and will destroy an additional Processing Chip each week until it
     is transferred or all Processing Chips owned by the Player are
     destroyed. If at any time the Player possessing the Bronze Key
     should have no Processing Chips , the Key shall be immediately
     transferred back to the Chartreuse Goose. The owner of the Goose
     must then distribute the Key as an initial distribution in
     accordance with distribution Rules.

     The Chartreuse Key may only be given to a Player possessing one or
     more of the following Acka Entities: Amber Bananas, the Great
     Trombone, the little Lamb, and/or the Gumball. The Player may hold
     onto the Chartreuse Key for any length of time, as long as e
     continues to hold at least one of the above Entities. If at any
     time the Player possessing the Chartreuse Key should have none of
     the qualifying entities, the Key shall be immediately transferred
     back to the Chartreuse Goose. The owner of the Goose must then
     distribute the Key as an initial distribution in accordance with
     distribution Rules.

     The Purple Key may be initially given to any Player. Once
     initially distributed, the Purple Key may not be given away, but
     may be traded for any tradable Acka-Entity. The Purple Key may
     remain in the possession of any Player for any length of time,
     subject to the following conditions:
     1. The current Cycle has not ended.
     2. The Player possessing the Purple Key has no other Keys. If at
     any time the Player possessing the Purple Key is given another
     Key, that Key must be transferred to another Player within seven
     (7) days or else the Purple Key is transferred back to the
     Chartreuse Goose. The owner of the Goose must then distribute the
     Key as an initial distribution in accordance with distribution
     Rules.

     At any time the Player possessing the Purple Key may use the Key
     to unlock a Gaol Cell and release emself or any other Player
     currently in Gaol. However, if the Player Possessing the Purple
     Keys has any other Keys in eir possession at the time e used the
     Key to open a Gaol Cell, all existing Keys are immediately
     destroyed. Any Players possessing Keys at this time are permitted
     to sneer and throw small objects at the Player using eir Purple
     Key in this fashion.

     Only a single Player possessing all five (5) Keys may attempt to
     find the Chalice Vault. If that Player satisfies all conditions
     for finding the CV, e shall find the CV and use eir Keys to unlock
     the CV and take possession of the Crystal Chalice. Immediately
     after a Player opens the vault and takes possession of the Crystal
     Chalice, the following actions will occur, in order:

     1. The Crystal Chalice is transformed into a Golden Goblet, with
     the name of the winning Player and the number of the current Cycle
     engraved on the base of the Goblet.
     2. Another Crystal Chalice is created and placed in the vault.
     3. All extant Keys That Unlock the Vault Containing the Crystal
     Chalice are destroyed.
     4. The vault closes automatically and locks.
     5. The vault is transported to Somewhere Else.
     6. The Player possessing the most recent Golden Goblet is declared
     the Winner of the Cycle.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:45:22 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1429 Fails 

(Proposal Passage still require 66% Correct? It wasn't lowerd to 60 or 63?)

Quorum achieved on P1429: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 4 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

Proposal 1429 - Sat 9 Nov 9:13 CST 1996
Cupro-nickel Pheremone Emitter
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes loses 7 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------

Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
mr cwm                       (None Yet)

snowgod                      (None Yet)
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
Malenkai                     FUN
habeous Corpus
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                         +3
breadbox                                         +3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              +3
ThinMan

Vulcan              +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
fnord
Brinjal

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:48:39 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Reverese Order 

I am trying my best to send these proposals out in sewuential order, but no
matter what I try, Eudora keeps putting them in reverse.

snowgod
working on it

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:51:16 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; round 4 

>Round four of Grab-a-Donkey II, Revenge of the Mules, is beginning!
>
>snowgod tried to grab Malenkai's donkey, and failing that, admired.

:) I hereby grab Mohammed's Donkey (Do yout thinkk there is some sick
unspoken thing going on under Habeous Corpus suave public demeanor? :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:58:03 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; round 4 

>Round four of Grab-a-Donkey II, Revenge of the Mules, is beginning!

In light of the fact that a mule is a sterile half-breed donkey, and the
fact that we are running around grabbing peoples donkey's willy nilly, I
think it may be best if you do not talk about the revenge of the mules, or
better yet, what was done to the donkeys in the first place.

snowgod
who'd rather not know.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:03:08 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; round 4 

>>Round four of Grab-a-Donkey II, Revenge of the Mules, is beginning!
>>
>>snowgod tried to grab Malenkai's donkey, and failing that, admired.
>
>:) I hereby grab Mohammed's Donkey (Do yout thinkk there is some sick
>unspoken thing going on under Habeous Corpus suave public demeanor? :)

Okay, now that I am once again on a streak of sending messages to the
public forum instead of to their rightful recipients (AGAIN!) i should
apologize.  So disregard that past message, and don't give it any though
when planning your donkey moves.  Mohammed, you especially, don't give it a
second thought.  Pretend you never saw it :)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:04:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

Acting Tabulator wrote:

> Actually, I think Wilma ate them.  I sent everything out at at about 2:45
> AM and some have not shown up here yet either.  I will send ethem out
> again.

Ok, then we can assume they were distributed (and publically knowable)
before 12:00 ?  A bit of a stretch.  In any case, I'll defer to the
scorekeeper as to the proper end of bond cycle scores.

I shall also assume numerical order distribution.  It will make
figuring the processing chips so much easier.

Malenkai
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:30:18 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

> Acting Tabulator wrote:
> 
> > Actually, I think Wilma ate them.  I sent everything out at at about 2:45
> > AM and some have not shown up here yet either.  I will send ethem out
> > again.

Wilma did *not* eat anything. :-P  There are, as I write this, some 40+
pieces of ackanomic-related mail in the mail queue; most of these have
been delivered to all but one address on the list; a few have yet to be
delivered to much of anybody.

> Ok, then we can assume they were distributed (and publically knowable)
> before 12:00 ?  A bit of a stretch.  In any case, I'll defer to the
> scorekeeper as to the proper end of bond cycle scores.

All the results for proposals 1429 to 1450, including an extra 1440 with
P1340 results, were received before the end of the bond cycle. 
Scores will come whenever I get them done.

> I shall also assume numerical order distribution.  It will make
> figuring the processing chips so much easier.

The tabulator is required to report vote results in the order that the
proposals' voting periods end, so in the past we have treated mistakes
in this order as if the out-of-order results were released in sequential
order immediately after the missing ones have been released; I have been
treating the results from snowgod (whose Eudora sends stuff out in
reverse of the order they were sent) the same way for score purposes.

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper, busy today.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:20:33 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

Malenkai wrote:

> I should like to claim the truth is:
> 
> IF AND ONLY IF today is Monday or the gumball may be legally chewed today,
> THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*. 

Never has there been a wiser player than Malenkai, he who realizes three
missed opportunities to chew the gumball.

All hail Malenkai, the new Scholar of *ping*!

/dev/joe
former Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:43:36 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

I wrote:
Malenkai wrote:
> > Ok, then we can assume they were distributed (and publically knowable)
> > before 12:00 ?  A bit of a stretch.  In any case, I'll defer to the
> > scorekeeper as to the proper end of bond cycle scores.
> 
> All the results for proposals 1429 to 1450, including an extra 1440 with
> P1340 results, were received before the end of the bond cycle. 
> Scores will come whenever I get them done.

Oops, my error.  P1429 was received at wilma at 11:45 CST, or 12:45 EST,
after the end of the bond cycle.  I will post the end-of-bond-cycle scores
in a moment.  The dates in the header show it left snowgod's mail server
at 08:44 -0900 (i.e., one minute before) so the tie-up was all at snowgod's
end.

/dev/joe
bitten by time zones

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:49:59 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: End-of-Bond-Cycle Scores

The scores at noon EST Nov 25 were:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
132	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
125	Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
112	Niccolo Flychuck     V   (Uri Bruck) 
56	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
45	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
43	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
43	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
31	Habeous Corpus       V   (Ed Graham)
31	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
18	fnord                V   (Michael Thomas)
1	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
- -3	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
- -14	Bascule              Nv  (Matt Black) 
- -14	Robert Sevin         Nv  (Mitchell Harding) 
- -21	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 

Scoring included here since the last score report:
  P1418-1428 scoring: 1418,1419,1424,1426,1427 modest
Nov 17 10:08 EST: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Nov 19 10:08 EST: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Nov 20 18:30 EST: -25 breadbox: frivolous appeal of CFCJ 118
Nov 21 10:08 EST: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Nov 21 11:38 EST: -2 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1460
Nov 21 18:29 EST: -1 Malenkai: retract CFJ 322
Nov 21 19:57 EST: -2 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1468
Nov 22 01:56 EST: -12 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1466,67,69,70,71,72
Nov 22 19:17 EST: -2 Niccolo Flychuck: retracting P1480
Nov 23 10:08 EST: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Nov 23 22:05 EST: -3 snowgod: did not report what Phoebe said
Nov 25 10:08 EST: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol

Scores with P1429-1450 scoring to come later today.

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:33:51 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1448 Passes

> Text of Passed Proposal:
> -----------------------
> 
>      Any new player of Ackanomic (defined, for these purposes, as a
>      player who has been a player of Ackanomic for less than 31 days)
>      that is playing Ackanomic for the first time (i.e. they have only
>      joined the game of Ackanomic once) may publicly complain when they
>      lose any points or currency.

Fortunately, this rule doesn't apply to any of the current players...

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:35:01 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Guy's  mail

My mail account has been flooded since about 1:20 (cst) today.  If 
anything important (I did get all the voting results and Malenkai's 
successful pinging) has happened in this time, please inform me.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:43:32 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

> The tabulator is required to report vote results in the order that the
> proposals' voting periods end, so in the past we have treated mistakes
> in this order as if the out-of-order results were released in sequential
> order immediately after the missing ones have been released; I have been
> treating the results from snowgod (whose Eudora sends stuff out in
> reverse of the order they were sent) the same way for score purposes.
	The rules involved have changed since then.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:49:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Supreme Court Nomination

> Mr. President, the Senate has confirmed your appointment of Mohammed
> as our newest Justice of the Supreme Court.
	I would like to thank the Senators heartily for the honor of being 
accepted as a Supreme Court Justice, and to thank President snowgod in 
particular for the nomination.
	I promise never to flip a coin to decide an appeal.

- --Mohammed (who prefers dice)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:55:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

And there is the problem of the difference in order of the tabulator 
distributing them and the order in which the players receive them.  I 
know from my promoter-related experience that the proposals (which I send 
out individually in numerical order) undergo some seemingly random 
rearrangement at wilma before they get back to me.  If were going to be 
strict-constructionalist about it, what the do the rules have to say 
about that?

Guy Fawkes

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > The tabulator is required to report vote results in the order that the
> > proposals' voting periods end, so in the past we have treated mistakes
> > in this order as if the out-of-order results were released in sequential
> > order immediately after the missing ones have been released; I have been
> > treating the results from snowgod (whose Eudora sends stuff out in
> > reverse of the order they were sent) the same way for score purposes.
> 	The rules involved have changed since then.
> 
> --Mohammed
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:56:35 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction Stuff

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Mohammed wrote:
> 	I am building a second Pyraic Frobnotzer.  It'll be done in three
> days.
	This is done.  Let the auction begin!
	Now, let's see, what should I build next...?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:42:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

> I shall also assume numerical order distribution.  It will make
> figuring the processing chips so much easier.
	Can you do that?  The proposals pass in the order the results
achieve PK-- right?-- and publishing them in the wrong order is
Malpractice, a Crime, but not impermissible.
	If snowgod had deliberately published the results in the wrong 
order, to achieve some game effect, I'd submit the CFCJ right now, but 
it'd be too late, he would have got whatever it was he was after....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:29:37 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Current Scores

The current Scores, with P1429-1450 added in:
(P1432,34,36,37,39,40,43,45,46,50 were modest and 1448 was harfy)

Robert Sevin is now Harfmeister, and his Victory Eggplant was destroyed, too.

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
189	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
145	Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
114	Niccolo Flychuck     V   (Uri Bruck) 
71	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
60	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
59	Habeous Corpus       V   (Ed Graham)
56	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
55	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
31	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
18	fnord                V   (Michael Thomas)
17	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
4	Robert Sevin         N   (Mitchell Harding) 
1	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
- -10	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
- -14	Bascule              Nv  (Matt Black) 

If Mohammed is right and all the voting results now apply when posted,
even if out-of-order, then P1442-1450 made it in before the end of the
bond cycle.  These are the scores at the end of the bond cycle today
under that scenario:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
170	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
125	Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
111	Niccolo Flychuck     V   (Uri Bruck) 
62	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
49	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
49	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
48	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
40	Habeous Corpus       V   (Ed Graham)
31	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
18	fnord                V   (Michael Thomas)
8	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
4	Robert Sevin         N   (Mitchell Harding) 
1	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
- -14	Bascule              Nv  (Matt Black) 
- -25	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper, really liking the pointlog adding script right now

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:07:33 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Awards

Malenkai has become eligible for his 3rd gold stripe.  Under my direction,
two gnomes from the Frobozz Magic Medal Company take Malenkai's 3 silver
stripes, perform a little alchemy, and produce a gold stripe, which I
award to Malenkai.

While they're here, they remind me that Guy Fawkes has become eligible
for his first silver stripe, and they conjure one up out of thin air,
and I award it to Guy Fawkes.

/dev/joe
Senator, /dev/senate3

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:07:51 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> > I shall also assume numerical order distribution.  It will make
> > figuring the processing chips so much easier.

>         Can you do that?  The proposals pass in the order the results
> achieve PK-- right?-- and publishing them in the wrong order is
> Malpractice, a Crime, but not impermissible.

I've *been* doing it :)  I have been treating out of order results under
the game custom of a type II retractable error, and resequencing them.
It has not really mattered until now.

There are 2 points here:

1) If they are distributed out of order, are they applied out of order?
That is what Mohammed challenges here, and I believe he is correct, since
the Crime bill (and possibly before).  This is unfortuante, as
Publically Knowable was built on the premise that there is a requirement
that voting results be released in order.  I believe a "must" must be
inserted in R 414 to strengthen the language, or Malpractice must be
made impermissible (and thus a retractable type II).  

The language now is rather weak. The following supports Mohammed's
position:

> From R 414 [the Publically Knowable fix]:

      The Office of the Tabulator is a Functional Office. The Duties of the 
Tabulator are: 

      (c) to report the acceptance or rejection of proposals, in the
time order in which their voting periods ended.

> From R 609:

      (ii)  Duties:

             The Duties of an Office are the tasks that the
             Officer(s) are expected to carry out to facilitate
             the conduct of Ackanomic business.  

> From R 713:

     Failure of an Officer to perform a Duty of an Office e holds is a
Crime. The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is Malpractice, which
is also a Crime.

OK, so the Tabulator commited Malpractice, which seems permissible under
these rules.  The weakness of the language is distressing.  I will 
figure the bond yields based on this senerio.  I should like to add
language to make Malpractice impermissable and retractable as a type
II, but do not have the time.  I will try to fix the Tabulator rule,
perhaps, and ask that in the meantime snowgod distribute them in order
until this is fixed.

2) The second point is when exactly do things become PK.  There has
been some discussion that the list server "scrambles" mail sent out,
and things become PK to different people in different order.  Since
the list server seems like an extra-nomic entity that is not regulated,
I have been going by the timestamp on the e-mail.  I.e., things become
PK at the time reflected in the time stamp.  Any delays in the list server
or the 'net or your ISP or when you log on are just too bad.  Lets say
your ISP goes out of business, and you are not on-line for another week.
Are we to say that things are not PK until you (meaning everyone), has
seen it?  I say not.

Thus I claim game custom construes "Publically Knowable" in R 1089.2 to
be this time stamp.  This construction is supported by the PK fix in
R 901:

> If possible, all players must configure their e-mail software to
> correctly report the current time for the time zone specified.
> Otherwise, they must make public notification of what corrections need
> to be applied to compensate for erroneous time stamps indicated on
> their posts. All posts are deemed to have occurred at the corrected
> time, if the time stamp of a post is erroneous.  
To me it is not a stretch to construe that non-errorenous posts occur
at the time reflected in correct time stamp.  There is a mountain of
game custom supporting this.

So, I will figure bond yields based on /dev/joe's second post, unless
someone challenges Mohammed's interpretation (point 1) and mine (point 2).

Malenkai
wordy

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #364
*******************************