Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #360
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, November 23 1996      Volume 01 : Number 360

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 18:25:19 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Having served my civic duty by voting on all legislation in Digest #358,
> and having no CFJ's nor CFCJ's assigned,  I am going on Vacation starting
> 1200 CST,  today.  I will be gone for approximately 9 days,  and hope to
> return no later than 1 December.  If I bag a deer early,  I may return
> sooner.

I am appointing Guy Fawkes as acting senator for HC.

Malenkai
speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:17:31 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1480 -retracting

I'm retracting this one.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1480 -- Fri 22 Nov 14:42 CST 1996
> Otzma Card type anti-Entity Attitude
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:21:51 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1472 (or what ever it's gonna be numbered now)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > As for using it on itself, I don't believe that's possible since a Card is
> > destroyed as soon as it is used, so, unless you are arguing for
> > simultaenity, which I don't believe applies here, there would nothing to
> > act on.
> 
> Yes, I could make this argument very easily.  You are claiming it is
> destroyed before its power is applied.  I have trouble with that, 
> especially asI remember wording in the Otzma card rules that says its
> power occurs immediately upon it being played if a counteraction is
> defined for the particular card (as is the case here).  I think I
> could worm a paradox out of this in front of the right judge;)
> 
> Malenkai
>
I default to non-simultanaeity (sp?). I seem to reacll that some actions
in Acka are explicitly defined to be simultaneous, I just don't remember
which. I do agree that whether or not such a thing would be judeged a s
paradox depends a great deal on the judge.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:36:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Who's Who

As editor of the Kolot Ackanomic I would like to anounce a new project
Kolot Ackanomic is embarking.

Who is Who in Ackanomic.  Kolot intends to publish Ackanomic biographies
of past and present players, and gradually accumulate information about
all players who consent to this. 
Players may contibute information about themselves, detail their past
action, their views on past and current events, on various aspects of the
game. This will be combined with impressions written about players by
other players.

While I intend to much of the editing work myself, I will pay players for
doing field research and for writing up biographies suitable for
publication.

Niccolo Flychuck
Kolot Ackanomic
Editor

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:43:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : upcoming vacation

Uri Bruck wrote:

> Notes about some of my offices:
> Chess-Umpire is optional, so I guess if no one volunteers, and I don't
> mind if no one does, the game will be suspended for five days.
> However, this coming Tue. Swingpoints are supposed to be given out, and
> I'm not sure about the status of that action. Is it not performed, or
> performed by the Speaker?

The president is the acting Chess-Umpire, but as the office is optional,
the president (or his appointee), is not required to perform the duties. 

> RuneMaker - another optional office, I guess that leaves it up the the
> Speaker to track existing Cards and their use. For now this just means the
> five existing Go Fish Cards.

The Speaker is the acting RuneMaker.  I will appoint the first person
to volunteer.  The acting officer is again absolved of all duties of
the office.
 
> Registrar, it's functional, so I suppose that defaults to the president.

Correct.
 
> GamesMaster - also optional, I believe. But can be done by anyone.

But will be done by the president or his appointee.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:04:10 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : upcoming vacation

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > Notes about some of my offices:
> > Chess-Umpire is optional, so I guess if no one volunteers, and I don't
> > mind if no one does, the game will be suspended for five days.
> > However, this coming Tue. Swingpoints are supposed to be given out, and
> > I'm not sure about the status of that action. Is it not performed, or
> > performed by the Speaker?
> 
> The president is the acting Chess-Umpire, but as the office is optional,
> the president (or his appointee), is not required to perform the duties. 
> 
I'm not clear about what happens to the game clock during that time.

It is my understading of the rules that if the office is vacant the game
is suspended.  
You imply that it isn't vacant, which would make the game go on.
Swingers could post moves, since the turn turns to the next Swinger upon a
legal move, nobody has to anounce that. 

I just pulled an all-nighter, and need some shut-eye, when I regain
conciousness, I'll take care of my move, so at least I know there will  be
an updated PartyBoard before I leave.

Niccolo Flychuck
jack of many trades

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:55:23 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Thanksgiving, retracted props, etc.

I want to warn all of our American players that there is a huge body of
proposals set to complete their voting periods on the day after Thanksgiving.
A lot of players may be traveling or otherwise not paying attention to
their e-mail over the long Thanksgiving weekend next week, and I don't
want to see any proposals fail from lack of quorum.  Of course, if it
does happen, the non-voting players are all put on vacation, so only
one proposal will fail this way, but I still don't want to see it happen.
Make sure you catch up on voting before you go anywhere for Thanksgiving.

If you live outside the U.S., be aware that we have a major holiday here
next Thursday, so the mailing list may be rather quiet. (OTOH, some players
may be home, and more active on the mailing list than normal, so who knows...)

I will be gone Wednesday to Sunday next week, but I will not be going
on vacation.  I will check in often enough to keep up with things, and
if I am still Scholar I will set a cron job to send out any necessary
*ping*s over that period of time.  The scorekeeping and web site may lag
behind during this period, though.

It's too late now, but I want to point out that the proposals that tried
to add rules to the Otzma Card rule suite (instead of Otzma Cards) would
have probably worked fine due to the spelling rule, R451.  The ones that
didn't add to the rule suite at all needed to be fixed, though.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #360
*******************************