Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #357
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Thursday, November 21 1996      Volume 01 : Number 357

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:44:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1461

Proposal 1461 -- Wed 20 Nov 19:37 CST 1996
Presidential Debate
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Ammend the first paragraph of R504 to read in full:
The Presidency of Ackanomia is an Office with one Seat. The player who
holds that seat is called the President. The President's Term of Office is
8 weeks. The Presidency is filled by an Election for Office. The Election
period for the Office of President is seven days. This paragraph takes
precedence over R611

- ----------------------------------
Create a rule entitled "Presidential Debate" which contains the following
text:
" 

1. Every Presedential Election where there are at least two candidates,
 and no more than 30 candidates is preceded by a Presidential Debate.

2. If the Speaker is not a candidate for President, and no other
player volunteers for the job then e acts as the
Debate Moderator. If the Speaker is running for President, then
it is his duty to appoint another player who is not running for President
as Debate Moderator.
In any case, the name of the Moderator should be anounced no later than
the end of the nomination period.

3. Once the Moderator's name has been anounced players and candidates may
send debate questions to the Debate Moderator. Each player may send up to
two questions. Each Candidate sends at least two questions, and at most 4
questions. If there are two or more substantially similar questions, the
Debate Moderator may unify them into a single question. 

4. Once the names of the candidates have been anounced, the Debate
Moderator anounces the begining of the Presidential Debate

5. All posts which are part of the Debate, must have the word 'Debate' in
their subject line.

6. The Debate Moderator may post the Debate questions in any order, and in
any time interval, as long as each post contains at most 5 questions, the
first post should posted five days before the end of the elections and
the last post for any given elections is posted at least 24hours before the
end of the elections.

7. Each candidate may post one reply per question. Each reply has the
folowing limits:
a. A maximum of 10 lines of qouted text
b. A maximum of 15 lines of unquoted (original) text.
c. A maximum of 20 lines altogether.
The question, if qouted,  is not counted in any of the above clauses .

8. Each candidate may reply to another candidate's reply to a debate
question, provided the other candidate's reply is a direct reply to a
Debate question, and not a reply to another candidate's reply. Such
replies are limited to one reply per candidate per question, and must meet
the restrictions in section 7 of this rule.

9. In any posting which is outside the context of the Debate, candidates
may not quote either questions or answers that were posted as part of the
Debate.

10. If a candidate violates any of the above restrictions, each violation
 counts as one vote for each of the other candidates.

11. Should any of the above fail to occur for any reason, the elections
still end at the prescribed time according to R504.

"

{{[Note that the only required parts of the Debate are for each candidate
to write two questions, and for the Debate Moderator to distribute the
questions he receives. clause 11 takes care of the concern raised by
breadbox. I don't believe this rule was powerful enough to create such a
problem. The appropriate rules would take precedence, but I added it.
Lengthening the election period was the only way I could make the debate
work. I know this has been proposed before, and I recall voting for it
back then. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:53:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey II; round 3

Round three of Grab-a-Donkey II, Revenge of the Mules, is beginning!

The results of round 2:

Mohammed and snowgod grabbed Robert Sevin's donkey and bounced
Robert Sevin grabbed ThinMan, who covered
Malenkai grabbed Bascule, who covered
fnord grabbed breadbox, who covered
Habeous Corpus successfully grabbed Malenkai's donkey
mr cwm covered his donkey
Niccolo Flychuck, Calvin N Hobbes, and Brinjal admired

Current GAL:

Habeous Corpus (+2)
Mohammed
snowgod
mr cwm
Bascule
Brinjal
Niccolo Flychuck
Calvin N Hobbes
Robert Sevin
ThinMan
fnord
breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:33:15 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Proposal 1460

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1460 -- Wed 20 Nov 19:37 CST 1996
> Games Bonus
> Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

> {{All G&C Counts are set to zero. A Bonus is created and given to
> Malenkai. A Bonus Vote is created and given to Niccolo Flychuck}}

Since I only get a Bonus, and Niccolo gets a Bonus Vote, I should
ask for retraction, unless we can construe this as intended.  Can we?

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #357
*******************************