Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #355
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, November 20 1996     Volume 01 : Number 355

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 00:25:33 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Supreme Court

I know, promises, promises.

I have not yet reached my decision for Justice.  All the potential
nominees look so good, and all of their answers were so promising.
perhaps we need four justices?   I promise to post a deision sometime
today.

snowgod
undecided

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 00:27:58 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Official: Registrar - two new observers

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> We have two new observers:
> 
> Chris Hewit - [email-masked]
> 
> and 
> 
> Sheila Downes  - [email-masked]
> 

Welcome Cris and Sheila.  If you don't mid me asking, I would like to find
out where you discovered ackanomic?  The question is mandatory for new
players, but not observers.  I think it is important that we get all the
market research we can, as we will soon be embarking on a recruitment
program!

snowgod 
president
ambassador
so much more

BTW, If you have any question about game custom, procedure, rules,
whatever, just ask and someone will be more than happy to answer your
question.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:22:23 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Auction

Not to be left out,  Habeous Corpus bids A$125 for the Frobnotzer

HC

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:22:23 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Welcome

A hearty Hi-Ho to our new observers,  Chris and Shiela.  For many
personal reasons,  I sincerely hope that both of you enjoy this game
enough to join and take an active part in our harfiness.

Habeous Corpus
BTW,  what's the status on my errant Whamiol? (don't bother to respond
snowgod :))

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:09:47 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Welcome

[email-masked] wrote:

> BTW,  what's the status on my errant Whamiol? (don't bother to respond
> snowgod :))

CFJ 321 is still kicking around the justice system, as are CFJ 320 and
CFCJ 118.

Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:10:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost (Guy Fawkes)

As much as I hate to play predictably:

mnem

Guy Fawkes

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> snowgod played at Nov 18, 22:05 EST
> 
> The current Ghost word is:    mne
> 
> It is Guy Fawkes's turn
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:08:19 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Ghost (ThinMan)

Guy Fawkes played at Nov 19, 10:10 EST

The current ghost word is:  mnem

It is ThinMan's turn.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:57:25 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Ghost (ThinMan)

>
>The current ghost word is:  mnem
>
>It is ThinMan's turn.

My move: amnem

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:17:24 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Ghost (snowgod)

ThinMan played at Nov 19, 14:57 EST

The current Ghost word is:  amnem

It is snowgod's turn.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:31:02 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

> Not to be left out,  Habeous Corpus bids A$125 for the Frobnotzer
	Ihearonetwentyfivewhowillgivemetwo, givemetwo, 
givemetwohundredackadollarsforthisfinepieceofmachinerywehaveheretoday, 
givemetwohundreddollarsgivemeonefifty, doihearabidofonefifty...

- --Mohammed
Auction Ear

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:33:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1451

Proposal 1451 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:33 CST 1996
King For a Day
Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

Anyone who attains a score of 196 points, and retains this score for 5 days
(with no changes in their score whatsoever, even if the changes would negate
one another and return the score to 196) becomes "King For a Day". For the
next 24 hours they will hold this title, and in that time the player may do
up to 2 of the following 3 things:

A) Both Cover Their Donkey, and Grab Someone Else's Donkey simultaneously
(if a game of Grab-A-Donkey is taking place)

B) Adjust their score to the sum of their current score and the current
lowest score in the game held by a player.

C) Adjust their ears such that one is pointed and one is not.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:34:02 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1452

Proposal 1452 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:33 CST 1996
Simplified Succession
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 362, "No Dead Players Allowed" to append the following paragraph
at the end of the current rule:

"
If the player in question was the Speaker himself, the Speaker has 2
days to respond to the original message in the public forum, or be
placed on vacation with an expected duration of 2 days.
"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 457 to remove the following paragraph:

"
Succession Proceedings may not be called against a player on vacation.
"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 615, "Speaker", as follows:

1) Amend the first sentence so that it reads:

"
This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
"

2) renumber current section "(viii)" to section "(vii)".

3) add the following text to the end of the rule:

"
(viii)  If it it ever the case that no active Player is Speaker
or Acting Speaker, and the application of other rules and/or the
preceeding clauses of this rule do not correct that situation, the
following succession procedure is used to appoint an Acting Speaker:

       a) All offices are listed in the order of the rule number
which creates or defines the office (in the case of a rule defining
multiple offices, the offices are listed in the order in which they
appear in the rule).

       b) All offices not held by an active player are then removed
from the list.

       c) The player holding the office at the top of the list becomes
the Acting Speaker.  If, however, that office has more than one seat,
the active player whose Ackanomic name appears first in an alphabetic
listing of active seatholders of that office becomes the Acting Speaker.
[The Acting Speaker then has the duty assure that all offices are filled,
including Speaker, as the case may be, in accordance with the rules.]
"
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal Rule 779, "Succession Proceedings"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:34:34 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1453

Proposal 1453 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
Don't Say the C-Word
Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

The official flower of Ackanomic is the chrysanthemum.

Anyone who publicly says the word chrysanthemum must be publicly slapped by
a member of the Supreme Court, and must spend a period of 3 days in Gaol,
where they must compose a speech to present publicly to express their
repentance for their actions. If this speech contains the word
chrysanthemum, the player who composed it must spend an additional 10 days
in Gaol, and they must compose 3 poems. One poem must be about fish, the
second poem must be about octagons, and the third poem must use the word
harf. If any of these poems contain the word chrysanthemum, the player that
composed them loses 57 points from their score and any message referring to
them must refer to the fact that they come from "Palookaville".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:34:55 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1454

Proposal 1454 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
Mars Needs Women!
Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

I. Every player in Ackanomic must have an Ackanomic Gender (hereafter
referred to as AG). It is the responsibility of the Clerk of the Courts
(hereafter referred to as the CotC) to assign all players an AG as quickly
as possible. The two possible AGs are Male and Female. Once a player is
assigned an AG, it may not be changed except as explicitly defined in the
rules.

II. It is the goal of the CotC to make the ratio of Males to Females in
Ackanomic identical to the ratio of Males and Females on the planet Earth
(ie the ratio of Males to Females in "real life"). Therefore all AG
assignments must be made in order to try and meet that goal. It is the
responsibility of the Web-Harfer to determine the current Male:Female ratio
in "real life", and to report it to the CotC.

III. It is the responsibility of the Web-Harfer to publish the AG of all
players on the official Ackanomic Web Page. Further, the Web-Harfer must
also publish the Ackanomic Male:Female ratio, and the "real life"
Male:Female ratio.

IV. Any two different players that have had AGs assigned to them may get
married to one another. A player can only be married to one other player at
a given time. It is the responsibility of the Web-Harfer to publish which
players are married, and who they are married to. In order to get married,
two players must take the following steps:

A) The players must find an official (that is not one of the two players
wishing to get married) of an existing church that agrees to marry them.
This church must be licensed to marry players. In order for a church to
become licensed, the church must send a request to the Ackanomic Senate
stating their desire to become licensed. The Senate may then discuss the
issue among themselves, as well as publicly questioning the church on
whatever issues they consider appropriate. Then the Senate must vote on
whether or not to grant the church a license. Half of the Senators (or
more) must vote to grant the license in order for it to be granted.

B) If the players are of the same AG, they each must pay A$20 to the
Ackanomic Treasury in order to "Fly to Hawaii". They must also pay (between
the two of them) A$20 to the Treasury in order to fly the church official
to Hawaii to perform the ceremony.

C) A fee of A$10 must be paid by each player to the Treasury in order to
pay for the privilege to be married.

D) The church official must send a public message announcing the union of
the two players, and is encouraged to describe the marriage ceremony. At
this point the two players are officially married. The Web-Harfer is
responsible for publishing a list of all marriages, and the date of their
occurrences.

V. The only way that two players can cease to be married is for one of the
players to send a public message stating the reasons for the separation.
The President of Ackanomic must then publicly decide whether to grant the
separation or to force the two to remain married. If he President grants
the separation, both players must pay A$15 to the Treasury for the
privilege of being separated. A player may petition for a separation only
once during a given President's term of office. The Web-Harfer is
responsible for publishing a list of all divorces, and the date of their
occurrences.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:35:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1455

Proposal 1455 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:35 CST 1996
Division by Zero
Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

The result of division by zero, in Ackanomic, is the number Infinity. The
number Infinity is defined as the number that is 3 cats greater than the
current largest number, excluding Infinity. Whenever a calculation involves
the number Infinity, it is the duty of the Ackanomic Physicist to determine
the value of Infinity at that time (by going out and measuring the largest
number, adding 3 cats to it, and then converting the result to an integer
or a real number, whichever is required for the calculation in question).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:35:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1456

Proposal 1456 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:35 CST 1996
Magic, Mathematics, and Mayhem
Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

Once a month the Web-Harfer can select two other players in Ackanomic whose
scores are not identical. The Greatest Common Divisor (hereafter referred
to as GCD) of the two players' scores will then be calculated, and those
points will be added to the score of the member of the Ackanomic Senate who
most recently joined Ackanomic. In the event of a tie, the points are split
between them evenly (if the number of points is odd, the extra point goes
to the President of Ackanomic). The Web-Harfer must make a public
announcement stating that this action will be taken, so the appropriate
officers can update the scores.

Euclid's Algorithm is the official algorithm of Ackanomic. It must be used
for any GCD calculations made in Ackanomic. The following is Euclid's
Algorithm for determining the value of GCD(x,y).

If x = 0
  Then GCD(x,y) = y
Else If y = 0
  Then GCD(x,y) = x
Else If x >= y
  Then GCD(x,y) = GCD(x mod y, y)
Else GCD(x,y) = GCD(x,y mod x).

x mod y is defined as the remainder resulting from dividing x into y.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:29:50 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1453

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1453 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
> Don't Say the C-Word
> Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

Please oh please oh please everyone... vote yes on this fine proposal!  We
need more stuff like this again so that ackanomic can be what it once was!
All hail robert seven, king of harf!

snowgod
president
jester of harf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:33:25 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1454 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
> Mars Needs Women!
> Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)

I really like this proposal too!  I know that alot of platyers will be
temnpted to vote against it as it harkens back to the early days when all
changes were made in one proposal, but heck, it's just great, and iff you
want everything consolidated into their own sections it can be amended
later.  Let's get a few of these things passed.

snowgod
all hail robert sevin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:38:34 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> > 
> > Proposal 1454 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
> > Mars Needs Women!
> > Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)
> 
> I really like this proposal too!  I know that alot of platyers will be
> temnpted to vote against it as it harkens back to the early days when all
> changes were made in one proposal, but heck, it's just great, and iff you
> want everything consolidated into their own sections it can be amended
> later.  Let's get a few of these things passed.
> 
> snowgod
> all hail robert sevin
> 
While I have nothing harf per-se, harf alone is rarely reason enough to
persuade me to vote for this. I like the one preceding this one, and will
probably vote for it. But this, reminds me too much of the gender-language
issue which eventually resolved to a game custom of excepting all
pronouns, whether English or Spivak, as gender-neutral. I find this gender
thing above confusing.
Well, I'll try that again, I don't really find anything confusing about
gender, just the way it's represented in that rule.
(a closed mouth gathers no foot:)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:28:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454

I oppose this one on several counts.
The only part I like about it is that it costs only A$20 to fly to Hawaii
:)

It simply transplants some RL terms onto Ackanomic.  I oppose the
discrimination against same-gender unions.  
We live with two gender outside Ackanomic, why have only two in ackanomic.
Why not three, or four?

I am raising an eyebrow at this one.
I find this preoccupation with gender fascinating (and am also in the
middle of translating a text that discusses the political incorrectnes of
the languaghe of liberty, although not necessarily in those terms, a
particulary challenging task due to the different gender mapping of
languages on some of the terminology, but fascinating all the same)

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1454 -- Tue 19 Nov 17:34 CST 1996
> Mars Needs Women!
> Robert Sevin (Mitchell Harding)
> 
> I. Every player in Ackanomic must have an Ackanomic Gender (hereafter
> referred to as AG). It is the responsibility of the Clerk of the Courts
> (hereafter referred to as the CotC) to assign all players an AG as quickly
> as possible. The two possible AGs are Male and Female. Once a player is
> assigned an AG, it may not be changed except as explicitly defined in the
> rules.
> 
> II. It is the goal of the CotC to make the ratio of Males to Females in
> Ackanomic identical to the ratio of Males and Females on the planet Earth
> (ie the ratio of Males to Females in "real life"). Therefore all AG
> assignments must be made in order to try and meet that goal. It is the
> responsibility of the Web-Harfer to determine the current Male:Female ratio
> in "real life", and to report it to the CotC.
> 
> III. It is the responsibility of the Web-Harfer to publish the AG of all
> players on the official Ackanomic Web Page. Further, the Web-Harfer must
> also publish the Ackanomic Male:Female ratio, and the "real life"
> Male:Female ratio.
> 
> IV. Any two different players that have had AGs assigned to them may get
> married to one another. A player can only be married to one other player at
> a given time. It is the responsibility of the Web-Harfer to publish which
> players are married, and who they are married to. In order to get married,
> two players must take the following steps:
> 
> A) The players must find an official (that is not one of the two players
> wishing to get married) of an existing church that agrees to marry them.
> This church must be licensed to marry players. In order for a church to
> become licensed, the church must send a request to the Ackanomic Senate
> stating theirdesire to become licensed. The Senate may then discuss the
> issue among themselves, as well as publicly questioning the church on
> whatever issues they consider appropriate. Then the Senate must vote on
> whether or not to grant the church a license. Halfof the Senators (or
> more) must vote to grant the license in order for it to be granted.
> 
> B) If the players are of the same AG, they each must pay A$20 to the
> Ackanomic Treasury in order to "Fly to Hawaii". They must also pay (between
> the two of them) A$20 to the Treasury in order to fly the church official
> to Hawaii to perform the ceremony.
> 
> C) A fee of A$10 must be paid by each player to the Treasury in order to
> pay for the privilege to be married.
> 
> D) The church official must send a public message announcing the union of
> the two players, and is encouraged to describe the marriage ceremony. At
> this point the two players are officially married. The Web-Harfer is
> responsible for publishing a list of all marriages, and the date of their
> occurrences.
> 
> V. The only way that two players can cease to be married is for one of the
> players to send a public message stating the reasons for the separation.
> The President of Ackanomic must then publicly decide whether to grant the
> separation or to force the two to remain married. If he President grants
> the separation, both players must pay A$15 to the Treasury for the
> privilege of being separated. A player may petition for a separation only
> once during a given President's term of office. The Web-Harfer is
> responsible for publishing a list of all divorces, and the date of their
> occurrences.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:31:29 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1456

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Euclid's Algorithm is the official algorithm of Ackanomic. It must be used
> for any GCD calculations made in Ackanomic. The following is Euclid's
> Algorithm for determining the value of GCD(x,y).
> 
> If x = 0
> Then GCD(x,y) = y
> Else If y = 0
> Then GCD(x,y) = x
> Else If x >= y

Shouldn't that be abs(x)>=abs(y)
otherwise this wouldn't work properly with negative scores.
The mod calculation should also be modified accordingly

Niccolo Flychuck

> Then GCD(x,y) = GCD(x mod y, y)
> Else GCD(x,y) = GCD(x,y mod x).
> 
> x mod y is defined as the remainder resulting from dividing x into y.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:47:38 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Official: Registrar - two new observers 

In response to your question, I found out about ackanomic by searching under
NOMIC on the WWW, and I decided to get more information. 
Thank you,
Sheila Downes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:17:17 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454 

>It simply transplants some RL terms onto Ackanomic.  I oppose the
>discrimination against same-gender unions.  

It is mocking the real-world discrimination against such unions. I've got my
new slogan for this proposal: Vote for this or you're a bigot!

>We live with two gender outside Ackanomic, why have only two in ackanomic.
>Why not three, or four?

Amend it if you like, but we should pass it now, amend it later.

Robert Sevin
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:18:29 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454 

>Well, I'll try that again, I don't really find anything confusing about
>gender, just the way it's represented in that rule.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.

Robert Sevin
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:19:54 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1456 

>Shouldn't that be abs(x)>=abs(y)
>otherwise this wouldn't work properly with negative scores.
>The mod calculation should also be modified accordingly

You are, of course, correct. I wrote that one far too quickly.

Robert Sevin
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:22:59 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1454 

>I really like this proposal too!  I know that alot of platyers will be
>temnpted to vote against it as it harkens back to the early days when all
>changes were made in one proposal, but heck, it's just great, and iff you

I'm just a dinosaur, aren't I? :)

Robert Sevin
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:29:17 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mitchell Harding)
Subject: Re: Official: Registrar - two new observers 

>We have two new observers:
>
>Chris Hewit - [email-masked]
>
>and 
>
>Sheila Downes  - [email-masked]

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the game...

Robert Sevin
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #355
*******************************