Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #349
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Thursday, November 14 1996      Volume 01 : Number 349

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:24:42 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> G & C proposal 104
> snowgod

I will endorse this, even though my knowledge of the subject matter
is so limited as to be embarrassing.

I believe that leaves 2.

Malenkai
whose favorite actor is either Harrison Ford or Dustin Hoffman, and can
not name a single co-star in any film either of them were in (except
Sean Connery, of course).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:32:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!
> > 
> > Anyone want to play a game of ghost?
> 
> I'll referee your game of ghost, since I probably couldn't keep myself
> from peeking in the official dictionary for that long a time.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 
>
Is this theofficial notification, or are you still rounding up players?
Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:34:07 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > > Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!
> > >
> > > Anyone want to play a game of ghost?
> >
> > I'll referee your game of ghost, since I probably couldn't keep myself
> > from peeking in the official dictionary for that long a time.
> >
> > /dev/joe

I shall play Ghost as well.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:39:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Holiday

Note that the Holiday declared by snowgod applies to all periods, not
just the voting period.  All officers should take note:

      No time during a Holiday shall count towards the times officers
have to do their tasks. Nor shall it count towards any "periods" as
defined elsewhere in the rules. This clause takes precedence over any
mutable rule which would require the counting of such time. 

Malenkai
who wonders if there would be a paradox without the word "elsewhere"
who wonders if there is one anyway

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:07:18 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1435

Am I correct in assuming these are hypothetic situations that you do not 
wish me to number and distribute?

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Proposal Z
> 
> Create a new rule entitled "I wish I didn't have to do it this way" 
> reading:
> 
> {{  If X occurred, amend R Y as follows [...] }}
> ----
> 
> Proposal Z
> 
> If X occurred, amend R Y as follows [...]
> -----
> 
> Thus reducing proposal writers and the web-harfer's work.
> 
> Malenkai
> what happens if a rule change is ambigious now?
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:45:17 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Games

Malenkai wrote:

>I shall play Ghost as well.

Heck, count me in too.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:51:44 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Reserve Banking

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>
>
>On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, mr cwm wrote:
>> 
>> P.S. Real currencies have no physical limit, and they don't seem to be
>> meaningless.  Their limit is what the people will hold, and a truly "hard"
>> currency provides the tools one needs to see what that is.  (I think.)
>> 
>>
>Real currencies do have limits. When those limits are exceeded the
>currency is devalued, prices go up , and the limits are reset.
>This is way simplified, but you dollar doesn't go as far today as it did
>10 years ago.
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>

Yes, but the limit on Real Currencies today is not a *physical* limit
(only so much gold), but a *psychological* limit (I've got lots of cash, I
might as well buy something).  If the currency is not backed by something,
consumer goods get bought, for example, and you see devaluation
(inflation).  If, on the other hand, the currency *is* backed by something
(gold, AsSPEC Prosthetic Foreheads) one can buy those things.  But flow of
those things in or out of a Treasury can be tracked, and their value in
comparison to the currency can be adjusted to keep the amount of currency
in circulation commensurate with the amount people actually need,
preventing inflation or deflation in terms of other goods.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:26:20 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> > I'll referee your game of ghost, since I probably couldn't keep myself
> > from peeking in the official dictionary for that long a time.
> > /dev/joe

> Is this theofficial notification, or are you still rounding up players?
> Niccolo Flychuck
> GamesMaster

That wasn't, but this is the official notification.

I am the referee for the first game of Ghost.

The players are (in their randomly assigned order of play:
1. Malenkai
2. Guy Fawkes
3. ThinMan
4. snowgod
5. breadbox

The game shall begin when the GamesMaster recognizes this message, and
it shall be Malenkai's turn at that time.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:39:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: donkeys

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

>  I plan to announce a game of Grab-a-Donkey three days hence.  If you do 
> not wish to play, please publically decline participation in that time as 
> allowed by R 1276.
> 
> Guy Fawkes

It is three days hence, and I have received no declinations, so

ROUND 1 OF GRAB-A-DONKEY II, Revenge of the Mules, IS BEGINNING!

The initial GAL:

Niccolo Flychuck
Malenkai
/dev/joe
mr cwm
ThinMan
Mohammed
Brinjal
Habeous Corpus
breadbox
fnord
Calvin N Hobbes
Bascule
Robert Sevin
snowgod

NOW STOP ADMIRING YOUR DONKEY!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:18:54 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> That wasn't, but this is the official notification.
> 
> I am the referee for the first game of Ghost.
> 
> The players are (in their randomly assigned order of play:
> 1. Malenkai
> 2. Guy Fawkes
> 3. ThinMan
> 4. snowgod
> 5. breadbox
> 
> The game shall begin when the GamesMaster recognizes this message, and
> it shall be Malenkai's turn at that time.
> 
> /dev/joe
>
It certainly looks familiar, but I can't really place it, I'm not very
good with faces.

OK, I acknowledge and reocgnize this message.

LET THE GAME BEGIN!!!

Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:02:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

> whose favorite actor is either Harrison Ford or Dustin Hoffman, and can
> not name a single co-star in any film either of them were in (except
> Sean Connery, of course).
	This must have slipped my mind...
	It could have been The Hunt for Red October, but Harrison Ford
didn't play Jack Ryan until Patriot Games, which was 2 or 3 years later. 
	I think the Kevin Bacon game would be much nicer if both ends of 
the chain were left open (rather than just one.)  It should still be 
called the Kevin Bacon game, of course...

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:40:17 EST 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: G&C 104

I will endorse this game for now,  but reserve the right to recall the
game for further enhancement and expansion.  (I like Niccolo's version
better,  with certain restrictions.)

Habeous Corpus

P.S.  Sign me up for that game of ghost,  I'm  getting bored at work.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:46:04 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

Jason Orendorff wrote:

>         I think the Kevin Bacon game would be much nicer if both ends of
> the chain were left open (rather than just one.)  It should still be
> called the Kevin Bacon game, of course...

There's a game called "flick-off" that a local radio station runs.  The
idea is similar, except that you *start* with an actor (e.g. Kevin
Bacon) as the key.  The game goes as follows:

When it is your turn, you must:

a) if the key is an actor, you must name a film with that actor.  That
becomes the new key.
b) if the key is a film, you must name an actor in that film.  That 
becomes the new key.
c) if the key is both a film and an actor, the play cannot be determined
with finality (although the radio station does not have R 219).

If you fail to name a valid key in the time limit, or repeat a previously
named key, you are removed from the list.

Upon a new key being named, turn passes to the next player on the list.

This probably works better with a 15 second time limit, rather than a
3 day time limit.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:54:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

> c) if the key is both a film and an actor, the play cannot be determined
> with finality (although the radio station does not have R 219).
	This must be spectacularly rare, though.  Perhaps "A Fish Called
Wanda". 

> This probably works better with a 15 second time limit, rather than a
> 3 day time limit.
	yeah; I have the feeling Eleusis will be much the same way. :(

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:52:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ghost

I am beginning a new ghost word by naming the letter

h

It is now Guy Fawkes turn.  It seems there should be a step in here
where the referee acks the turn, or there be some minimum turn length.

Guy Fawkes could now play, and it would be impossible for someone lower
on the list to challenge my play (actually, this is not entiely true
for a type (1) challenge, but recovery is messy in any case).

This could become important later on.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:11:12 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Official: Internomic

Internomic Proposals 311 and 312 (b) have passed. Both were proposed by
agora who now has 4 points.  There is some confusion in internomic as to
ju8st who cast votes.  Acoording to andre's records ackanomic did not
vote, however I have reposted the mesage in which ackanomic cast it's vote
(both FOR) in accordance with the will of the senate.  Though it make no
difference on scoring or passage, I will CFJ it if neccessary.

Text of Passed Proposals:

Proposal 311b
Proposed by: Agora

Amend Rule 210 to read:

A rule change takes effect at the moment the proposal containing it is
adopted. If the rule change is a rule creation, the rule created gets a
rulenumber equal to the lowest integer equal to or higher than the number
of the proposal that is not the number of an existing rule. For the
purpose of this rule, different rule changes in one proposal are regarded
to take place subsequently in the order in which they are given in the
proposal.

Proposal 312b
Proposed by: Agora

Amend Rule 204 to read:

Every proposal shall contain one or more rule changes.

=---------------------------------------------------------=

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:14:58 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic Proposals

The are two new proposals in internomic, which I am hereby initating a
senate vote on.  The text of the proposals follows:

Proposal 313, proposed by Ackanomic:

Amend Rule 202 by deleting the last sentence of its text.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal 314, proposed by Agora:

Amend Rule 215 to read:

The voting members in this Nomic are: AckaNomic, Agora and Thring.
There are no nonvoting members.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Proposal 313: Rule 202 now reads:

202.  The game ends when a nomic achieves 100 points.  The winner is the
      first nomic to do so.  The liaison from that nomic becomes
      moderator, and all scores are reset to 0.  A new game is then
      begun, with all rules and proposals retaining the status they had
      at the end of the game.  The nomic that won must appoint a new
      liaison.

snowgod
Ambassador
Liason to Internomic

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:16:37 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Current Internomic Ruleset

Here is the current Ruleset:

Immutable Rules

101.  All member nomics must always abide by all Internomic rules then
      in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect.  At the
      start of the first game, rules 101-114 are immutable, and rules
      201-216 are mutable.  Subsequently, the number of a rule does not
      indicate that rule's mutability.

102.  A nomic is a game in which the rules are changeable by those who
      play it.  The entities which play this nomic, aka "Internomic",
      are themselves nomics, aka "member nomics".  Every member nomic
      shall be either a voting member or a nonvoting member.  References
      in this ruleset to "nomics" or "members" shall mean member nomics,
      and shall include both voting and nonvoting members, unless
      otherwise noted.  References in the ruleset to "rules" shall mean
      Internomic rules, unless otherwise noted.

103.  At any time, there shall be exactly one moderator, who must be a
      player of at least one member nomic.  The moderator may not
      resign.  If the moderator is no longer a player in any member
      nomic, e must name a successor who is.  Once this is done, the
      successor replaces the moderator.

104.  The moderator for the first game shall be Andre.

105.  Every member nomic shall have a liaison at all times.  The liaison
      must be an entity registered as a player of that nomic.

106.  A rule change is the enactment, repeal, or amendment of a mutable
      rule, or the transmutation of an immutable rule into a mutable
      rule or vice versa.

107.  Every proposal shall be numbered by the moderator.  The numbers
      shall begin with 301, and each proposal shall receive the next
      successive integer.

108.  Every proposal shall be communicated to all voting members before
      it is voted on.  If adopted, it shall take effect in the form in
      which it was voted on.

109.  All proposals shall be voted on.  They will be adopted if and only if
      they receive the required number of votes.

110.  A proposal containing a transmutation rule change is adopted if
      and only if all votes on that proposal are in favor.
      Transmutation may not be implied, but must be stated explicitly.

111.  An immutable rule always takes precedence over a mutable rule.  If
      there is a conflict between the two, the mutable rule is entirely
      void.

112.  A member nomic may always withdraw from Internomic.

113.  It must never become completely impermissible to change rules.

114.  Whatever is not forbidden is allowed, except that changing the
      rules is only permitted when another rule allows it.

Mutable rules

201.  All members begin with 0 points. 

202.  The game ends when a nomic achieves 100 points.  The winner is the
      first nomic to do so.  The liaison from that nomic becomes
      moderator, and all scores are reset to 0.  A new game is then
      begun, with all rules and proposals retaining the status they had
      at the end of the game.  The nomic that won must appoint a new
      liaison.

203.  A proposal is made by submitting it to the moderator.  All members
      may make proposals.  Upon receiving the proposal, the moderator
      shall assign it a number and distribute it to all nomics.

206.  Each voting member may vote exactly once per proposal.  Nonvoting
      members may not vote.

207.  Voting members may vote either for or against any proposal by
      sending their vote to the moderator by the end of the voting period
      on that proposal.  The moderator may not reveal any votes until the
      end of the voting period.  Any voting member who does not vote has
      abstained.

208.  At the end of the voting period of a proposal, the moderator shall
      reveal all votes legally cast on that proposal.  If required, the
      moderator should indicate eir consent (or lack thereof) at this
      time.  If the moderator does not indicate eir opinion, it shall be
      assumed that e consents.

209.  A proposal passes if and only if all votes cast on it are in
      favor.

211.  If two or more rules conflict, the rule with the lower number
      takes precedence.

212.  Any nomic may submit a statement for judgement to the moderator.
      Upon receipt of such a statement, the moderator must randomly
      select a member to judge the statement.  The moderator must then
      distribute the statement and the identity of the judge to all
      member nomics.

213.  A nomic which has been selected to judge must deliver judgement
      within two weeks by sending its judgement to the moderator, who
      must then distribute the judgement to all members.  A legal
      judgement is either "true" or "false", and must be in accordance
      with the rules.

214.  All business to be conducted with a member nomic shall be
      conducted with the liaison to that nomic.  No entity may be
      liaison to more than one member nomic.

215.  The voting members in this Nomic are: AckaNomic, Agora, Thring and
      Imperial Nomic 14. There are no nonvoting members.

306.  Whenever a proposal is accepted, the member nomic that proposed it
      gains two points.

309.  The voting period for a proposal shall be two weeks, beginning at 
      the time the moderator distributes the proposal to all nomics. If at 
      any time during the second week all nomics have cast a vote, then the 
      moderator may choose to call an end to the voting period.

311.  A rule change takes effect at the moment the proposal containing it 
      is adopted. If the rule change is a rule creation, the rule created 
      gets a rulenumber equal to the lowest integer equal to or higher than 
      the number of the proposal that is not the number of an existing
      rule. For the purpose of this rule, different rule changes in one 
      proposal are regarded to take place subsequently in the order in 
      which they are given in the proposal.

312.  Every proposal shall contain one or more rule changes.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #349
*******************************