Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #348
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, November 13 1996     Volume 01 : Number 348

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:12:50 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Wednesday, the 13th day of November, in the Year of Our Lord 1996, 
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. 
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 3 times. 

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 02:03:56 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Runemaker

Niccolo Flychuck becomes the RuneMaker.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:06:53 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Leaving 

Mr Flychuck,

here is my submission for the games and contests web page.  I believe I
have to send it to you for distribution.  Is this correct or should I send
it to the public forum?  If it's your job would you please publish it?
thanks,

snowgod

- --------
The Bacon Game

1. Equipment: None

2. Players: minimum -- 2; maximum -- 5; Referees -- one

3. Beginning of game
An instance of The Bacon Game begins upon the referee sending the
GamesMaster a message expressing the intent to start a game of The bacon
Game and listing the players who will begin the game, and the GamesMaster
publically announcing the start of the game or as directed by other rules.

4. Rules
A round of The Bacon Game lasts 3 days or until all players have posted
their moves. All instances of The Bacon Game shall begin in Round 1 and
continue until a winning condition is reached or no players remain in the
game.

Upon the initiation of an instance of The Bacon Game, the referee shall
name an extra-nomic actor who has appeared in at least 1 mainstream english
language motion picture and is not Kevin Bacon.

Each player shall then attempt to link said actor to another actor by way
of a movie that they both have starred in and continue doing so until they
have linked said actor with Kevin Bacon [Example: Nicole Kidman was in Days
of Thunder with Tom Cruise who was in A few Good Men with Kevin Bacon].
Links should be reported in the Canonical Bacon Format (described later).
It is considered bad form to link said actor directly with Kevin Bacon as
that requires no style and finess.

The Canonical Bacon Format is:

ACTORS NAME was in MOVIE NAME, with
ACTORS NAME, who was in MOVIE NAME, with
ACTORS NAME, who was in MOVIE NAME, with
KEVIN BACON! B#

This format can be used for any number of Links or Movies so long as the
Actors name is always in all caps along the left margin and the movie name
is always in all caps before the ",with" which is at the end of a line of
text.  The final line of text must always consist of "KEVIN BACON!"
followed by the original actors Bacon Number  which is determined by the
number of links given to reach one from the other [B3 in the Canonical
Format example]

After each player has submit his links they are scored by the referee
according to the scoring methods described below and a new round is
initiated, unless one of the players has achieved a winning condition, in
which case the game ends. Any player who does not submit a set of links by
the end of the round is removed from the game.

Scoring is determined as follows:

A) The referee shall assign N-1 (where N is the number of players)
baconpoints to the first player to post a valid set of links.  The next
player to post a valid set gets N-2, etc, continuing to the final player to
post who recieves zero points.

B) Whoever comes up with the shortest chain (i.e lowest Bacon Number) for
the given actor gets a baconpoint.  In the event that  more than one player
has the lowest number, or there is a tie, the baconpoints that would be
given out by this method are saved, and given instead to the person who
comes up with the shortest chain in the next round in addition to whatever
points he may have otherwise earned.  In the event of ties in multiple
rounds, baconpoints from this section shall accumulate until such time as a
player recieves baconpoints for posting the shortest chain, at which time
he shall also recieve all accumulated baconpoints.

C) The referee may, at his discretion, assign  any player one stylepoint
(which is also a baconpoint).  However, he may do this no more than once
per round.  stylepoints should be reserved for truly spectacular bacon
chains and are not to be taken lightly.

If the referee feels that a player has submitted an invalid chain, or
doubts the validity of a players links he may check them using whatever
means he has at his disposal.  In the event that a players links are found
to be invalid by the referee they shall be ignored  for the purposes of
scoring, and said player shall advance to the next round without any
positive change in score.  A player whos links were found to be invalid
will not be removed from the game for not posting links by the end of the
round.

When a winning condition is achieved, the referee shall recieve A$5 as
compensation for a job well  done each player shall have his score
increased by a sum equal to the number of baconpoints they had at the end
of the game.

Winning Conditions: A player wins the bacon game when he has achieved
either 3N+2 baconpoints (or more) (where N is the number of players),  or
is the only player remaining in the game. If two players simultaniously
achieve a winning condition, the game shall continue until one of them
achieves a higher score than the other, at which time he shall be delcared
the winner. In the event that no players remain in the game at the end of a
round, the game is over and there is said to be no winner.

Upon request, the referee must provide the following information: the
players in the game and their baconpoint totals, whothe current actor is,
the current roundcount, and a history of the game in progress.  He may, but
is not required to, keep a web page with this information.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:13:14 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Leaving

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> Mr Flychuck,
> 
> here is my submission for the games and contests web page.  I believe I
> have to send it to you for distribution.  Is this correct or should I send
> it to the public forum?  If it's your job would you please publish it?
> thanks,
> 
> snowgod

Oh heck,

It appears as if I've gone and submitted it to the public forum anyway.
Oh well,m here I go again, only this time it's niccolo and not malenkai :)

ThinMan eat your heart out!

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:36:37 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Reserve Banking

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, mr cwm wrote:
> 
> P.S. Real currencies have no physical limit, and they don't seem to be
> meaningless.  Their limit is what the people will hold, and a truly "hard"
> currency provides the tools one needs to see what that is.  (I think.)
> 
>
Real currencies do have limits. When those limits are exceeded the
currency is devalued, prices go up , and the limits are reset.
This is way simplified, but you dollar doesn't go as far today as it did
10 years ago.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:51:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : G & C proposal 104

G & C proposal 104
snowgod

The Bacon Game

1. Equipment: None

2. Players: minimum -- 2; maximum -- 5; Referees -- one

3. Beginning of game
An instance of The Bacon Game begins upon the referee sending the
GamesMaster a message expressing the intent to start a game of The bacon
Game and listing the players who will begin the game, and the GamesMaster
publically announcing the start of the game or as directed by other rules.

4. Rules
A round of The Bacon Game lasts 3 days or until all players have posted
their moves. All instances of The Bacon Game shall begin in Round 1 and
continue until a winning condition is reached or no players remain in the
game.

Upon the initiation of an instance of The Bacon Game, the referee shall
name an extra-nomic actor who has appeared in at least 1 mainstream english
language motion picture and is not Kevin Bacon.

Each player shall then attempt to link said actor to another actor by way
of a movie that they both have starred in and continue doing so until they
have linked said actor with Kevin Bacon [Example: Nicole Kidman was in Days
of Thunder with Tom Cruise who was in A few Good Men with Kevin Bacon].
Links should be reported in the Canonical Bacon Format (described later).
It is considered bad form to link said actor directly with Kevin Bacon as
that requires no style and finess.

The Canonical Bacon Format is:

ACTORS NAME was in MOVIE NAME, with
ACTORS NAME, who was in MOVIE NAME, with
ACTORS NAME, who was in MOVIE NAME, with
KEVIN BACON! B#

This format can be used for any number of Links or Movies so long as the
Actors name is always in all caps along the left margin and the movie name
is always in all caps before the ",with" which is at the end of a line of
text.  The final line of text must always consist of "KEVIN BACON!"
followed by the original actors Bacon Number  which is determined by the
number of links given to reach one from the other [B3 in the Canonical
Format example]

After each player has submit his links they are scored by the referee
according to the scoring methods described below and a new round is
initiated, unless one of the players has achieved a winning condition, in
which case the game ends. Any player who does not submit a set of links by
the end of the round is removed from the game.

Scoring is determined as follows:

A) The referee shall assign N-1 (where N is the number of players)
baconpoints to the first player to post a valid set of links.  The next
player to post a valid set gets N-2, etc, continuing to the final player to
post who recieves zero points.

B) Whoever comes up with the shortest chain (i.e lowest Bacon Number) for
the given actor gets a baconpoint.  In the event that  more than one player
has the lowest number, or there is a tie, the baconpoints that would be
given out by this method are saved, and given instead to the person who
comes up with the shortest chain in the next round in addition to whatever
points he may have otherwise earned.  In the event of ties in multiple
rounds, baconpoints from this section shall accumulate until such time as a
player recieves baconpoints for posting the shortest chain, at which time
he shall also recieve all accumulated baconpoints.

C) The referee may, at his discretion, assign  any player one stylepoint
(which is also a baconpoint).  However, he may do this no more than once
per round.  stylepoints should be reserved for truly spectacular bacon
chains and are not to be taken lightly.

If the referee feels that a player has submitted an invalid chain, or
doubts the validity of a players links he may check them using whatever
means he has at his disposal.  In the event that a players links are found
to be invalid by the referee they shall be ignored  for the purposes of
scoring, and said player shall advance to the next round without any
positive change in score.  A player whos links were found to be invalid
will not be removed from the game for not posting links by the end of the
round.

When a winning condition is achieved, the referee shall recieve A$5 as
compensation for a job well  done each player shall have his score
increased by a sum equal to the number of baconpoints they had at the end
of the game.

Winning Conditions: A player wins the bacon game when he has achieved
either 3N+2 baconpoints (or more) (where N is the number of players),  or
is the only player remaining in the game. If two players simultaniously
achieve a winning condition, the game shall continue until one of them
achieves a higher score than the other, at which time he shall be delcared
the winner. In the event that no players remain in the game at the end of a
round, the game is over and there is said to be no winner.

Upon request, the referee must provide the following information: the
players in the game and their baconpoint totals, whothe current actor is,
the current roundcount, and a history of the game in progress.  He may, but
is not required to, keep a web page with this information.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:56:12 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Games & Contests proposals

Fellow citizens of Ackanomia,
It appears that there is some confusion about G & C proposlas, perhaps
because there very few of those, although those that include two players
to win may prove to beneficial to the players who author them.
The procedure for making a G & C proposal is to send it to the GamesMaster
- - me. snowgod has almost done it.  Then it is my duty to distribute the
proposals, (even if I veto them). 

TIA

Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:06:26 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Runemaker

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Niccolo Flychuck becomes the RuneMaker.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

I'm gonna set up a web page over the next coupla days.
I'm going to read the rule again to see when I can anounce an Otzma day.
The good news is that since we've a string of 14 consecutive proposals, at
least 1 Card will have to be created, but I'll probably make more. The
less good news is that they will all be Go Fish Cards, although I'd rather
like to see of those out there before making other Cards. It's time for
all those creative minds out there to propose new types of Cards ( the
RuneMaker being no exception) , and not just about voting or PartyChess.
You might also like to read carefully the most recent additions to the
rules concerning couter-action, it provides other interesting possibities
besides Go Fish. 

Niccolo Flychuck
RuneMaker

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:14:40 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Games

Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!

Anyone want to play a game of ghost?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:25:49 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bond Yields

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > ---------------------------------------------
> >  .71  Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
> >  .65  Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
> >  .58  Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
> >  .39  /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
> >  .36 ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
> >  .33  mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
> >  .30  Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
> 	I'll be happy to buy bonds off any of these great folks for A$5 
> apiece.  Sell now-- inflation is going to hit hard when more Gadgets are 
> available on the market; it'll pay to have cash on hand!
> 
> --Mohammed
>
You seem to have included yourself. This should should an interesting
trasaction. I am currently not interested in selling any PFNiccolo, I
woud interested in purchasing PFBonds which originally belonged to any of
the above names.
I'm offering A$60 of 10 PFBonds 
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:32:27 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Establishing a newspaper

I am hereby establishing a Newspaper.
I am naming it Kolot Ackanomic

(Kolot is pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable and is
Hebrew for 'voices'. If it were pronounced with the emphasis of the first
syllable it would mean Cokes, and that is no longer in)

Nov. 12  niccolo -20 newpaper

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:36:35 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!

The rule does not preclude the author of a proposal from endorsing it,
although considering the small support necessary, I believe it should have
done so.
My reading is that you can support you own proposal, so I'm gooing to have
to count this as the first endorsement, and propose an ammendment.
Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> Anyone want to play a game of ghost?
> 
> snowgod
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:35:41 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

In accordance with R973/2 (Presidential Decisions) I am declaring a
Holiday.  This holiday will have a duration of one day and being at 12:00
(noon) Eastern time.  Ackanomic is dangerously close to a quorum crises,
so I advise you that if you have not yet voted on any proposals whose
voting periods have not ended to please do so now - even if you just vote
present.

snowgod
president

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:39:25 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> In accordance with R973/2 (Presidential Decisions) I am declaring a
> Holiday.  This holiday will have a duration of one day and being at 12:00
> (noon) Eastern time.  Ackanomic is dangerously close to a quorum crises,
> so I advise you that if you have not yet voted on any proposals whose
> voting periods have not ended to please do so now - even if you just vote
> present.
> 
> snowgod
> president

I believe the above declaration is invalid as it does not include the
start date, so here goes again:

In accordance with R973/2 (Presidential Decisions) I am declaring a
Holiday.  This holiday with have a duration of 1 day and shall begin
today, November 13 1996 at 12 noon eastern time.

snowgod
president

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:56:48 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: In which the Acting Tabulator Makes Excuses 

Tonights voting results will not have scoring changes listed.  They are
updating the routers (? or something) at my ISP tonight and tommorow and
any information that has to come from outside of alaska.net does so at
about 22 bytes a minute!  I could propoably walk down to Utexas and back,
and beat my packets.  So rather than post confusing and wholly innacurate
scoring changes which /dev/joe will need to adjust anyway, I will just post
relative score changes.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:56:53 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1409 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1409: 15 Eligible voters - 11 Players cast votes
11 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1409 - Sun 3 Nov 12:27 CST 1996
   Praetor Bugfix
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 10 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
ThinMan                      Vulcan
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
Malenkai                     FUN
mr cwm                       (None Yet)
Mohammed
snowgod                      (None Yet)
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
Habeous Corpus                                         +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
fnord

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
breadbox

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Amend R 1374, so that section III reads:

     "
     III. If a judge or judge-designate should ever be declared a
     deadbeat, the CotC shall select the Praetor as the next Judge for
     the deadbeat's CFJ. If, however, the Praetor's seat is vacant, or
     the Praetor is ineligible to receive the CFJ in the first place
     [e.g., because they initiated it, or it is a CFCJ and the Praetor
     is the defendant], it shall be reassigned as if the deadbeat had
     actively declined judgment.
     "

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:57:14 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1411 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1411: 15 Eligible voters - 11 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 5 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

   Proposal 1411 - Sun 3 Nov 12:28 CST 1996
   Taking off the Training Wheels
   ThinMan (John Bollinger)

ThinMan loses 7 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
ThinMan                      Vulcan
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
fnord

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                             +3
Malenkai                     FUN                     +3
mr cwm                       (None Yet)              +3
snowgod                      (None Yet)              +3
Habeous Corpus                                       +3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
breadbox

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
   NONE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:56:59 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1412 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1412: 15 Eligible voters - 11 Players cast votes
13 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal Passes

   Proposal 1412 - Sun 3 Nov 12:28 CST 1996
   More Consolidations
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 10 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
ThinMan                      Vulcan
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
Vulcan Unity Vote
fnord
Mohammed
Malenkai                     FUN
mr cwm                       (None Yet)
snowgod                      (None Yet)
Habeous Corpus
(None Yet) Unity vote

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
breadbox

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
     Amend R 201 so that its title is "Quorum and Active Players", and
     so that its text is:

     "
     In a vote on a proposal, the quorum required is that at least 50%
     of the active players cast their one vote allowed by rule 390.

     A player is defined as "active" only if said Player has voted on a
     proposal. Vacationing players who do not vote, however, are not
     considered active for the purpose of determining quorum.
     "

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -

     Repeal R 587, "Definition of Active Player"

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -

     Amend R 390 so that its title is "Voting" and so that its text is:

     "
     Players may vote either YES, NO, or PRESENT on each proposal, or
     choose not to vote on a proposal, which is called abstaining.
     Players who do not vote within the prescribed voting period shall
     be deemed to have abstained. Players may change their vote up until
     the end of the prescribed voting period, but in any case are
     limited to one vote per proposal.

     The required number of YES votes for a proposal to be accepted is
     two-thirds of the total number of YES and NO votes legally cast
     within the prescribed voting period. If that value is 0, however,
     the required number of YES votes for acceptance is 1.

     The prescribed voting period on a proposal is seven days, starting
     from the moment that the proposal is publicly distributed as
     specified by the rules.

     Entities may vote only as specified by the rules. Non-entites may
     not vote.
     "
     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     ------

     Repeal Rule 463 "Voting Options"
     Repeal Rule 485 "The Prescribed Voting Period"
     Repeal Rule 581 "Required Number Of Votes"

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -------

     Amend Rule 422 "Required Number Of Points To Win" as follows:

     1) Replace the first paragraph with the following text:

     "
     The Magic Number is the number of points needed to win a cycle by
     points. The base value of the Magic Number is 257. The Magic
     Number, and its base value, may only be changed as specified by the
     rules.
     "

     2) Add the following paragraph at the end of the rule:

     "
     If the score of any player becomes greater than the Magic Number,
     then the Magic Number is increased by 16, or to 11 points above the
     highest player score, whichever is greater.
     "

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     ------

     Amend R 666 so that section k) reads:

     "
     k) The game cycle number is incremented, and the Magic Number is
     reset to its base value.
     "

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -------

     Repeal Rule 866 "No Overshooting"

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     --------

     Amend R 423 so that its title is "Retractions", and so that its
     text is:
     "
     A player may retract their own proposal by publically posting that
     they are doing so, so long as the voting results on that proposal
     have not been publically announed. All votes cast on a retracted
     proposal shall be ignored. The player retracting the proposal loses
     2 points.

     A player may retract their own Call For Judgement (CFJ) by
     publically posting that they are doing so, so long as a verdict on
     that CFJ has not been delivered. The player retracting the CFJ
     loses 1 point.

     A player may retract their own Miscellaneous Submission by
     publically posting that they are doing so, so long as a decision on
     the acceptance or rejection of the submission in question is not
     publically knowable. The player retracting the submission loses 1
     point. This section takes precedence over any mutable rule which
     would prevent retraction of these entities. Instances of following,
     and nothing else, are Miscellaneous Submissions:
     a) Impeachment Papers
     b) Common Sense Reports
     c) New Games and Contest submissions as described by Rule 1206
     "
     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -----

     Repeal Rule 578, "Retracting CFJ's"

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -----

     Amend R 609 to append the following text at the end of the rule:

     "
     (xi) Effeciency

     Officers have 3 days to complete the tasks and duties they are
     responsible for, not counting any time the officer is on vacation
     or in Gaol, unless other rules unambigiously specify a different
     finite amount of time for these things. This section takes
     precedence over any other mutable rule which specifies an unlimited
     amount of time, does not specify an amount of time, or is unclear
     in its time specifications with regards to the amount of time
     officers have to complete tasks and duties.

     Officers, in good faith, shall do all tasks and duties as quickly
     as feaseable to keep the game moving along.
     "
     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     ----

     Repeal Rule 971, "Speed"

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     ----

     Create a new rule entitled "I wish renumbering rules was a valid
     rule change" which reads:

     {{
     Renumber Rule 1365, "Crime" to 713.

     [I was also going to consolidate R 1315 into the FM or A$ rule as
     part of this proposal, but it looks like Mohammed is going to do
     that. I know, this comment has nothing to do with renumbering
     crime, except that I want to renumber crime to be with the
     Gaol/CFCJ stuff]
     }}

     -------------------------------------------------------------------
     -----

     Amend R 491 so that its second sentence reads:

     "A rule change is valid if it describes the creation of a new
     mutable rule, the amendment of an existing mutable rule, the repeal
     of an existing mutable rule, the renumbering of an existing mutable
     rule, or a change of the mutability of any rule."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:57:20 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1410 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1410: 15 Eligible voters - 10 Players cast votes
12 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 0 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1410 - Sun 3 Nov 12:28 CST 1996
   Bad Pointer Reference
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal
/dev/joe                     Vulcan
ThinMan                      Vulcan
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan
Malenkai                     FUN
mr cwm                       (None Yet)
snowgod                      (None Yet)
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote
Habeous Corpus
fnord

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
NONE

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes

Bascule
breadbox
Mohammed

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Create a new rule reading:

     {{
     1) If proposal 1399 was accepted, amend R 1206 to remove all
     occurrances of the following sentence:

     "This sub-section has precedence over R 906."

     2) If proposal 1401 was accepted, amend the third paragraph of R
     1243 as follows:

     a) replace all occurrances of "4 A$" with "18 A$".
     b) replace all occurrances of "2 point" with "9 point".

     3) If proposal 1401 was accepted, amend the fourth paragraph of R
     1243 as follows:

     Replace all occurrances of:

     "If he has paid for the Goose's food or been bitten since the last
     time he has treated the Goose to a luxury"

     with:

     "Once per calendar week"

     4) Amend R 1243 to replace all occurrances of "post that he is
     spending an additional" in the fourth paragraph with "spend".

     }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:01:48 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> > Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!
> 
> The rule does not preclude the author of a proposal from endorsing it,
> although considering the small support necessary, I believe it should have
> done so.

I'm not going to be sneered at am I?  I dind't mean toviolate unspoken
game custom or exhibit bad form.  I just wans't sure of the answer.  In
any event, yeah, a proposal to make it so the submittor cannot endorse his
own proposal would probably be a good idea.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 07:46:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!
> 
> Anyone want to play a game of ghost?
> 
> snowgod

I'll play. Guy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:57:28 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Games & Contests proposals

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> It appears that there is some confusion about G & C proposlas, perhaps
> because there very few of those, although those that include two players
> to win may prove to beneficial to the players who author them.
That was suppose to be a two player option.

> The procedure for making a G & C proposal is to send it to the GamesMaster
> - me. snowgod has almost done it.  Then it is my duty to distribute the
> proposals, (even if I veto them). 
> 
> TIA
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> GamesMaster
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:00:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

Phil Ackley wrote:

> I'm not going to be sneered at am I?  I dind't mean toviolate unspoken
> game custom or exhibit bad form.  I just wans't sure of the answer.  In
> any event, yeah, a proposal to make it so the submittor cannot endorse his
> own proposal would probably be a good idea.

I endorsed mine, Game of Pure Skill.

Malenkai
sneering anyway :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:55:53 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

> G & C proposal 104
> snowgod
> 
> 
> The Bacon Game

I like this a lot. My only trouble is, _who_is_ Kevin Bacon??? (I've 
lost my copy of Halliwell's film guide)

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:20:21 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bond Yields

> > >  .71  Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
> > >  .65  Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
> > >  .58  Guy Fawkes           Ag  (Robert Shimmin)
> > >  .39  /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
> > >  .36 ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
> > >  .33  mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
> > >  .30  Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
> You seem to have included yourself. This should should an interesting
> trasaction. I am currently not interested in selling any PFNiccolo, I
> woud interested in purchasing PFBonds which originally belonged to any of
> the above names.
	I just wanted to indicate that these were the players who netted
more points than I during the last bond cycle.

	Make that A$7 per bond anyone wants to sell me, associated 
with any of the players listed.  Also, I will round the total dollar 
amount to be traded up to the next prime number.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:22:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Matt wrote:

> > G & C proposal 104
> > snowgod
> > 
> > 
> > The Bacon Game
> 
> I like this a lot. My only trouble is, _who_is_ Kevin Bacon??? (I've 
> lost my copy of Halliwell's film guide)
> 
> Bascule
> 
I've heard a different variant of this where one can use not only actors
but also other members of the production, and instead of finding a link to
Kevin Bacon, the player names two actors, and the other has to find a link
between them. This, I was told, is a pastime of cinema students.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:30:49 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

At any rate, I'll support the Bacon Game
Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Matt wrote:
> 
> > > G & C proposal 104
> > > snowgod
> > > 
> > > 
> > > The Bacon Game
> > 
> > I like this a lot. My only trouble is, _who_is_ Kevin Bacon??? (I've 
> > lost my copy of Halliwell's film guide)
> > 
> > Bascule
> > 
> I've heard a different variant of this where one can use not only actors
> but also other members of the production, and instead of finding a link to
> Kevin Bacon, the player names two actors, and the other has to find a link
> between them. This, I was told, is a pastime of cinema students.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:30:57 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1435

> A rule change may be preceeded with an antecedent condition.  Such
> rule changes are valid if and only if the antecedent condition is true
> at the rule change's time of application.  [e.g. "if Proposal X was
> accepted, amend Rule Y as follows...]

	What if the antecedent condition is indeterminate, or worse, if 
finding it out would involve probing into one or more players' private 
lives?  We tried this before, back in the days just after I joined the 
game; no satisfactory solution was found.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:43:49 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

> Can I support my own game proposal? :)  If so I do, if not I don't!
> 
> Anyone want to play a game of ghost?

I'll referee your game of ghost, since I probably couldn't keep myself
from peeking in the official dictionary for that long a time.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:21:16 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : G & C proposal 104

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Matt wrote:

> > G & C proposal 104
> > snowgod
> > 
> > 
> > The Bacon Game
> 
> I like this a lot. My only trouble is, _who_is_ Kevin Bacon??? (I've 
> lost my copy of Halliwell's film guide)
> 
> Bascule
> 

From the internet Movie Database:

Kevin Bacon

The IMDb has filmographies for Kevin Bacon in the following categories:
       Actor Director 

Actor filmography

    1.Digging to China (1997) 
    2.Telling Lies in America (1997) .... Billy Magic 
    3.Picture Perfect (1996) 
    4.Sleepers (1996) .... Sean Nokes 
    5.Apollo 13 (1995) .... Jack Swigert 
    6.Balto (1995) (voice) .... Balto 
    7.Murder in the First (1995) .... Henri Young 
    8.Air Up There, The (1994) .... Jimmy Dolan 
    9.River Wild, The (1994) (S:GGN) .... Wade 
   10.Few Good Men, A (1992) .... Capt. Jack Ross 
   11.He Said, She Said (1991) .... Dan Hanson 
   12.JFK (1991) .... Willie O'Keefe 
   13.Pyrates (1991) .... Ari 
   14.Queens Logic (1991) .... Dennis 
   15.Flatliners (1990) .... Labraccio 
   16.Tremors (1990) .... Valentine McKee 

   17.Big Picture, The (1989) .... Nick Chapman 
   18.Criminal Law (1989) .... Martin Thiel 
   19.She's Having a Baby (1988) .... Jake Briggs 
   20.End of the Line (1987) .... Everett 
   21.Lemon Sky (1987) (TV) .... Alan 
   22.Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) .... Taxi racer 
   23.White Water Summer (1987) .... Vic 
       ... aka Rites of Summer, The (1987) 
   24.Quicksilver (1986) .... Jack Casey 
   25.Footloose (1984) .... Ren MacCormack 
   26.Demon Murder Case, The (1983) (TV) 
       ... aka Rhode Island Murders, The (1983) (TV) 
   27.Enormous Changes at the Last Minute (1983) .... Dennis 
       ... aka Trumps (1983) 
   28.Diner (1982) .... Timothy Fenwick, Jr. 
   29.Forty Deuce (1982) 
   30.Only When I Laugh (1981) .... Don 
       ... aka It Hurts Only When I Laugh (1981) 
   31.Friday the 13th (1980) .... Jack 
   32.Hero At Large (1980) .... 2nd Teenager 

   33.Gift, The (1979) (TV) 
   34.Starting Over (1979) .... Husband (Young Couple) 
   35.National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) .... Chip Diller 

   36."Guiding Light, The" (1952) TV Series .... Tim Wexler (ca. 1980) 
   37."Search for Tomorrow" (1951) TV Series .... Tod Adamson (ca. 1978) 

Director filmography

    1.Losing Chase (1996) (TV) 

Notable Guest Appearances 

       "Frasier" (1993), as Vic (guest caller) (ep. 'Adventures In
Paradise: Part 2)') 

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:35:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Games

> Anyone want to play a game of ghost?

Oh, I could probably be talked into it.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:13:12 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1435

Jason Orendorff wrote:

>         What if the antecedent condition is indeterminate, or worse, if
> finding it out would involve probing into one or more players' private
> lives?  We tried this before, back in the days just after I joined the
> game; no satisfactory solution was found.

Then you would vote no for the proposal that contains such an ambigious,
or potentially ambigious, construct.  This amendment does not change the
way the game is played other than to replace:

- ----
Proposal Z

Create a new rule entitled "I wish I didn't have to do it this way" 
reading:

{{  If X occurred, amend R Y as follows [...] }}
- ----

Proposal Z

If X occurred, amend R Y as follows [...]
- -----

Thus reducing proposal writers and the web-harfer's work.

Malenkai
what happens if a rule change is ambigious now?

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #348
*******************************