Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #341
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, November 9 1996      Volume 01 : Number 341

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:32:57 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1394 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1394: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1394 - Fri 1 Nov 9:35 CST 1996
Majority Rules
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

ThinMan gains 5 points:                        10 -> 15

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 65
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 79
fnord                                            = 9
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 15
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 98
breadbox                                         = 16
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
snowgod                      (None Yet)         -27 -> -24
Mohammed                                         17 ->  20

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 26

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a modest proposal.

     Amend R729 by replacing the words "a simple majority (50% or more)
     will determine whether or not the alleged Heretic has been burned"
     with the words "if a simple majority of the votes were for "BURN
     THE WITCH!" then the alleged Heretic is immediately burned".

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:33:07 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1391 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1391: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1391 - Thu 31 Oct 9:28 CST 1996
Is Something Missing?
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

Malenkai gains 5 points:                        60 -> 65

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 65
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 95
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 7
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 79
Mohammed                                         = 17
fnord                                            = 9
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -27
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4
breadbox                                         = 16
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 16

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend the rule entitled ""Definition of Otzma Cards" to add the
     following at the end of section I:

     "3. The optional office of RuneMaker exists."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:33:01 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1392 Passes 

ThinMan -10, Tammany Bribe

Quorum achieved on P1391: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1392 - Fri 1 Nov 9:31 CST 1996
Rationalizing Auctions
mr cwm (Eric Murray)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

mr cwm gains 10 points:                        16 -> 26

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 65
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 79
Mohammed                                         = 17
fnord                                            = 9
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -27

NO Votes:
- --------
ThinMan                      Vulcan              7  -> 10
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              95 -> 98
Tammany

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4
breadbox                                         = 16

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 26

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Amend R1023 (Auction) to replace the last sentance of section 5d
     with "If the Auction is Public, bids must be submitted to the
     public forum." {{[This will prevent the technique I attempted when
     bidding on the AsSPEC Prosthetic Forehead collection from snowgod,
     namely, submitting a bit shortly before the deadline in the hope
     that even a "good faith attempt the keep the players aprised of
     the current high bid(s)" would be insufficient to make my bid
     truly Public.]}}

     Amend R1023 (Auction) to prepend "If the Auction was Public," to
     the second sentance of section 5b.

     Amend R1023 (Auction) to insert "If the Auction was Private, the
     Players who made the N highest qualified bids shall each recieve
     an item in exchange for the amount of A$ in the highest qualified
     bid(s) less than their own bid, or for the amount of the minimum
     bid if there was no such highest qualified bid(s) less than their
     own bid." after the second sentance of section 5b. {{[This style
     of Private bidding, which has a name I'm sure someone else
     remembers, encourages Players to bid what they actually think an
     item is worth to them, rather than A$1 more than what they guess
     it's worth to the Player who values it next less than themselves,
     as it removes the financial loss associated with of gross
     over-bidding. Nor does a Player see an item going to someone else
     for less than they would have been willing to pay, simply because
     they underestimated how much someone else wanted the item.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:33:17 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1389 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1388: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 5 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1389 - Thu 31 Oct 9:27 CST 1996
One more thing about Otzma
Niccolo Flychuck

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points:              85 -> 95

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 4
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 95
Vulcan Unity Vote
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 69
Mohammed                                         = 17

NO Votes:
- --------
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 60
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4
breadbox                                         = 16
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 16
fnord                                            = 9
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -27

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest Proposal.

     Ammend R1369.1 "Defintion of Otzma Cards" in the following ways:

     Section V 8 shall read in full:
     " A Player can only use an Otzma Card that e owns. "

     The first sentence of section V 10 shall read:
     " When a player has used an Otzma Card in a public forum, e may
     not use another Otzma Card in a public forum for three days."

     Append the following text to section V:
     "
     11.
     a. An Otzma Card which is used in the public forum takes effect
     immediately if and only if there a Counter-Action defined for a
     Card of that type. If a Card is Countered within three days of its
     having been played in the public forum, then the Counter-Action is
     performed.
     b. An Otzma Card which is used in the public forum and has no
     Counter-Action defined for its type, takes effect three days after
     its uss has been anounced, unless it is Countered within those
     three days. In the latter case the Countered Card has no effect at
     all.
     c. An Otzma Card can only be Countered by an entity which is
     explicitly allowed by the rules to Counter an Otzma Card of that
     type.
     "
     ---------------------------------------
     Ammend the fule "Otzma Card Type Go Fish to read in full:
     "

     1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called 'Go Fish'
     2. An Otzma Card of type 'Go Fish' can be used in the following
     ways:
     a. In a public forum it can be used to Counter any other Otzma
     Card, in accordance with the rules. The player who plays the Go
     Fish Card plays the Card by anouncing that e is playing it, and
     which Card it is being used on. The anouncement must non-ambigous.
     b. When used on proposals. A player can use a Go Fish card on a
     proposal by sending a message to that effect to the tabulator.
     When a Go Fish Card is used on a proposal, all other Cards used on
     that proposal have no effect, but they are destroyed anyway. If
     more than one Go Fish Card is used on a proposal, then the effect
     is the same as if one Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal.
     When a Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal, the date of the
     end of the Voting on that Proposal is considered to the date it
     has been used.
     c. A Go Fish Card can be used over another Go Fish Card only if
     the Go Fish Card it is used on has not been used on a Go Fish
     Card.
     3. Counter-Action:
     a. If a Go Fish Card was used on a Card that has no Counter-Action
     defined for it, then the Counter-Action is identical to the effect
     of the Card is was used on.
     b. If a Go Fish Card was used on a Card that has a Counter-Action
     defined for it, then the Counter action is as follows: A new Card
     is created, its is identical to the type of the Card the Go Fish
     Card has been used to Counter, and it is given to the player who
     played, the Card that was Countered by the Go Fish Card.
     4. This rule takes precedence over all the rules in the Otzma Card
     Rule Suite.

     {{[As Mohammed pointed out, this should make for very interesting
     Otzma Cards]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:33:11 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1390 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1388: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
11 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1390 - Thu 31 Oct 9:27 CST 1996
Encouraging New Players to Participate
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points:                    69 -> 79

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 60
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 95
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 79
Mohammed                                         = 17
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 16
fnord                                            = 9
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -27
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
ThinMan                      Vulcan              4 -> 7

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4
breadbox                                         = 16

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Add the following to the end of Rule 207.

     For the first three weeks of being a new player (as opposed to a
     returning player) in Ackanomic, a player shall lose only 4 points
     if one of their proposals fails; they shall receive 12 points if
     one of their proposals passes.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:33:23 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1388 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1388: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1388 - Thu 31 Oct 9:26 CST 1996
New Bribing World Order
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

/dev/joe gains 10 points:                        21 -> 31

YES Votes:
- ---------
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -27
Brinjal                                          = 19
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 4
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 85
Vulcan Unity Vote
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 69
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
fnord                                            = 9
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 60

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                         14 -> 17
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          13 -> 16

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4
breadbox                                         = 16

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     {{[ This is an attempt to rewrite Rule 793 in a way that works
     better, while changing the effect when a proposal changes the
     proposal-triggered rules to a 1089.2-like form in all cases,
     including those which do not involve points.

     The Underworld is gone, but the idea is still interesting, IMHO.
     ]}}

     {{ [In memory of Wayne, without whom I would never have thought of
     this idea, and whose undead is currently penniless.] A$1 is
     transferred from /dev/joe to the Treasury, and the undead named
     Wayne begins haunting it. }}

     Amend rule 793 by changing its name to "Proposal Bribery", and
     changing its text to read, in full:

     I. The Right to Fair Voting
     A proposal is invalid if it contains one or more rule changes that
     discriminate in any way between players based on their voting
     actions on that proposal, or any other specific proposal or
     proposals identified in the proposal. Effects that depend on the
     way players vote are allowed if they apply to all proposals, or to
     all proposals in one or more classes previously defined by the
     rules. [This would be modest proposals, harfy proposals, etc.]
     This section defers to section IV of this rule.

     II. Voting Actions
     The following are voting actions:
     A. Casting a YES, NO, or PRESENT vote by rule 390.
     B. Bribing Tammany by rule 554.
     C. Being part of a political party that gets a unity vote.
     Other actions may be designated by the rules to be voting actions.

     III. Effects Triggered on Changing the Triggering Rules
     If a proposal adds, changes, or repeals rules that generate
     effects or cause some entity to generate effects (including but
     not limited to score changes) based on the way players vote, then
     those rules generate no effects based on the way players vote on
     that particular proposal. This section of this rule takes
     precedence over all other mutable rules which generate effects
     based on the way players vote on proposals, but defers to the
     following paragraph.

     IV. Bribes
     A. A proposal may include a Bribe section, which must be in a
     separate paragraph before any of the rule changes in a proposal,
     beginning with the word "Bribe" and a colon [as in "Bribe: A$1"].
     Any Bribe which violates any of the rules regarding Bribes is
     invalid.

     B. Bribes may only cause the transfer of tradeable entities from
     the author of the proposal to players who voted YES on the
     proposal; a Bribe need not specify that the entities come from the
     author of the proposal, since it is assumed.

     C. If a proposal does not specify a condition for receiving its
     Bribe, then every player who votes YES on the proposal is eligible
     to receive the Bribe. A Bribe may specify further conditions, and
     may offer different amounts to different players, or based on
     different conditions [I.e., extra bribes can be given to players
     whose parties generate unity votes], but any conditions in the
     Bribe must be determinable when the voting results are posted.

     V. Processing Bribes
     A. When the voting results for a proposal containing a Bribe
     section are posted, if the amount(s) specified by the Bribe cannot
     be transferred from the proposal's author to all eligible players,
     based on the conditions stated in the Bribe, the Bribe is invalid.

     B. The required number of YES votes for a proposal containing an
     invalid bribe to be accepted is one more than the total number of
     YES and NO votes legally cast within the prescribed voting period.
     This paragraph takes precedence over rule 581. {{ [This ensures
     that they will fail. Other ways that I wanted to do this would
     have conflicted with an immutable rule.] }}

     C. When the voting results for a proposal containing an invalid
     Bribe are posted, the author of that proposal loses 15 points, and
     no other mutable rules that generate score changes or other
     effects when a proposal is rejected trigger any effects for that
     proposal; this takes precedence over any such rules.

     D. When the voting results for a proposal containing a valid Bribe
     are posted, the amount(s) specified by the Bribe are transferred
     from the proposal's author to all eligible players, based on the
     conditions stated in the Bribe.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:37:26 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1397 Passes

This needs fixing.  My formaatter must have chewed it up.  Hold on and
I'll get the correct version out.

snowgod

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> 
>      The symbol --- and quote marks are used as delimiters in this
>      proposal. The symbols themselves are not part of any body of text
>      the proposal describes, but merely mark the beginning and end of
>      such texts.
> 
>      [ The current structure for this type of thing is redundant and a
>      little sloppy. Standardize! ]
> 
>      1. A new Rule titled "Hearings" is created, reading:
>      ---
>      A Rule may specify circumstances under which a Hearing is called.
>      When this happens, Count Tabula shall announce in a public message
>      that a Hearing has been called, citing the rule that requires it
>      and the circumstances that brought it about, and telling the valid
>      responses [and other pertinent details]. As of this announcement,
>      the Hearing is in session.
> 
>      While the Hearing is in session, each Player may send his or her
>      response to that Hearing to Count Tabula privately. Count Tabula
>      shall record each response that matches one of the valid responses
>      for the Hearing. If a Player who has already responded sends
>      another valid response, the Assistant Tabulator shall discard the
>      previous response and record the new one. {{[ This last sentence
>      is probably taken for granted, but it isn't in any of the
>      "Hearing" rules as they exist now. ]}}
> 
>      The Hearing shall end when it has been in session for three days.
>      When it ends, it ceases to be in session.
> 
>      Once a Hearing has ended, it has a verdict. The verdict of the
>      Hearing is whichever valid response was given by the most Players
>      in response to the Hearing, if exactly one valid response holds
>      this distinction. Otherwise, if there is a tie among two or more
>      responses, the verdict shall be whichever of the tied responses
>      appears first in the Rule defining them. If no responses were
>      received while the Hearing was in session, the verdict shall be
>      "Never mind." The Assistant Tabulator has the Duty of announcing
>      the verdicts of Hearings with all due haste.
>      ---
> 
>      2. Amend Rule 400/2 ("Politeness Moon") to read, in full:
>      ---
>      Any Player sending a public message should be as polite as
>      possible. Any Player may call a Hearing on the matter of whether a
>      certain public message from another Player was polite.
> 
>      The valid responses to a Politeness Moon Hearing are "Yes, it was
>      polite." and "No, it was not polite.". If the verdict of the
>      Hearing shows that the message was not polite, the Player who sent
>      it loses 3 points. If it shows that it was polite, its author gets
>      the nickname Jazz JackRabbit for the next 3 days.
>      ---
> 
>      3. Amend Rule 414/7 ("The Office of the Tabulator") by
>      substituting "Hearings" for "Politeness Moons" wherever the latter
>      appears.
> 
>      4. Rule 729 shall be amended to read, in full:
>      ---
>      The Earth is flat. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy.
> 
>      If, in a public message, a Player refers to the Earth being round,
>      or implies that this may be the case, any other Player may start a
>      Witchhunt by sending a public message that names the alleged
>      witch, quotes his or her allegedly heretical message, and calls
>      for a Witchhunt.
> 
>      A Witchhunt is a Hearing. It is also a Very Grave Matter. The
>      valid responses to a Witchhunt are "No! E said the Earth is flat"
>      and "BURN THE WITCH!" The Player who tabulates the responses to a
>      Witchhunt shall be called Witchfinder General while it is in
>      session.
> 
>      If the verdict is "BURN THE WITCH!" the alleged witch shall be
>      branded a witch and heretic. E shall then be incinerated atop a
>      bonfire large enough that it not only reduces the witch to eir
>      component atoms but also inspires righteous terror in all who see
>      it. When a witch is burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic Afterlife,
>      and shall lose 10 points.
> 
>      Any Player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is
>      considered Enlightened. Any Player burned more than once, however,
>      is beyond hope and may never become Enlightened. Any Player who is
>      Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may never have a
>      Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic. This
>      paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.
>      ---
> 
>      5. Rule 730 ("Steel Flea") shall be amended by replacing the
>      paragraph that begins "If any other player believes" with:
>      ---
>      If any other Player believes that this message is obviously fake
>      and not clever or witty enough for the nanotech Phoebe, he or she
>      may challenge the authenticity of the message by posting to that
>      effect publically. A Hearing is then called, with valid responses
>      of "Phoebe would not say anything so crass" and "Phoebe said much
>      the same thing to me once". If the verdict is the former, then
>      obviously the Player did not accurately report what Phoebe said,
>      and e will lose the 6 points awarded previously, and will be fined
>      another 6 points for selfishly keeping Phoebe's wisdom to emself.
>      Such challenges must be made within 3 days of the wisdom being
>      posted, and may only be made once per report.
>      ---
> 
>      6. Rule 1112.3 ("Let those who are without Harf cast the first
>      stone.") shall be amended to read, in full:
>      ---
>      If any Player feels the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf [that is,
>      sitting on the title of Harfmeister with no intent to designate
>      any proposals as Harfy], they may start an Inquistition by
>      publically calling for one.
> 
>      An Inquisition is a Hearing. It is also Strange. The valid
>      responses to an Inquisition are "No! He's going to share the
>      Harf!", or "Yes! He is Hogging the Harf!" If the verdict is the
>      latter, the Harfmeister is guilty of hogging the Harf and must
>      immediately go to his or her home if he or she may legally do so.
>      The person who called for the Inquisition then becomes the
>      Harfmeister.
>      ---
> 
>      7. Rule 1268 ("Commission d'Arts") is amended by changing
>      ---
>      5) Upon the issuance of the report, Count Tabula will take votes
>      for 3 days, during which each player may vote once on which
>      Nominee they prefer, after which the voting results and winning
>      Nominee are released. If the voting is tied at the end of the 3
>      day voting period, Count Tabula shall break the tie by random
>      determination.
>      ---
>      to
>      ---
>      5) Upon the issuance of the report, a Hearing is called. The valid
>      responses are the names of the Nominees, as listed in the
>      Commission's report. The winning Nominee is the Nominee indicated
>      by the verdict of the Hearing (if any).
>      ---
> 
>      8. Rule 1335 ("Codex of Kra") is amended by changing
>      ---
>      In this case, there will then be a three day voting period, during
>      which players may send one vote each to Count Tabula saying either
>      "the Ancients weren't that clueless", or "my own experiments have
>      produced similar results". No quorum is required; a simple
>      majority of votes challenging the translation's accuracy will
>      prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the case of this
>      particular translation.
>      ---
>      to
>      ---
>      In this case, there will then be a Hearing, with valid responses
>      of "the Ancients weren't that clueless" and "my own experiments
>      have produced similar results". A verdict of "the Ancients weren't
>      that clueless" will prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the
>      case of this particular translation.
>      ---
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:36:19 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1397 Passes (Ignore Previous) 

Quorum achieved on P1395: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
13 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1396 - Sat 2 Nov 8:08 CST 1996
In Which We Are Definitely Hearing Things
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

[Note: All scoring changes are approximations.}

Mohammed gains 10 points:                        20 -> 30

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                          = 19
Habeous Corpus                                   = 12
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 31
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 79
fnord                                            = 9
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 15
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 98
Vulcan Unity Vote
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = -24
Mohammed                                         = 30
breadbox                                         = 19
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 26
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
Malenkai                     FUN                 70 -> 73

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 4

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin                                     = -14
Calvin N Hobbes                                  = 1

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule                                          = -14

Text of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     The symbol --- and quote marks are used as delimiters in this
     proposal. The symbols themselves are not part of any body of text
     the proposal describes, but merely mark the beginning and end of
     such texts.

     [ The current structure for this type of thing is redundant and a
     little sloppy. Standardize! ]

     1. A new Rule titled "Hearings" is created, reading:
     ---
     A Rule may specify circumstances under which a Hearing is called.
     When this happens, Count Tabula shall announce in a public message
     that a Hearing has been called, citing the rule that requires it
     and the circumstances that brought it about, and telling the valid
     responses [and other pertinent details]. As of this announcement,
     the Hearing is in session.

     While the Hearing is in session, each Player may send his or her
     response to that Hearing to Count Tabula privately. Count Tabula
     shall record each response that matches one of the valid responses
     for the Hearing. If a Player who has already responded sends
     another valid response, the Assistant Tabulator shall discard the
     previous response and record the new one. {{[ This last sentence
     is probably taken for granted, but it isn't in any of the
     "Hearing" rules as they exist now. ]}}

     The Hearing shall end when it has been in session for three days.
     When it ends, it ceases to be in session.

     Once a Hearing has ended, it has a verdict. The verdict of the
     Hearing is whichever valid response was given by the most Players
     in response to the Hearing, if exactly one valid response holds
     this distinction. Otherwise, if there is a tie among two or more
     responses, the verdict shall be whichever of the tied responses
     appears first in the Rule defining them. If no responses were
     received while the Hearing was in session, the verdict shall be
     "Never mind." The Assistant Tabulator has the Duty of announcing
     the verdicts of Hearings with all due haste.
     ---

     2. Amend Rule 400/2 ("Politeness Moon") to read, in full:
     ---
     Any Player sending a public message should be as polite as
     possible. Any Player may call a Hearing on the matter of whether a
     certain public message from another Player was polite.

     The valid responses to a Politeness Moon Hearing are "Yes, it was
     polite." and "No, it was not polite.". If the verdict of the
     Hearing shows that the message was not polite, the Player who sent
     it loses 3 points. If it shows that it was polite, its author gets
     the nickname Jazz JackRabbit for the next 3 days.
     ---

     3. Amend Rule 414/7 ("The Office of the Tabulator") by
     substituting "Hearings" for "Politeness Moons" wherever the latter
     appears.

     4. Rule 729 shall be amended to read, in full:
     ---
     The Earth is flat. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy.

     If, in a public message, a Player refers to the Earth being round,
     or implies that this may be the case, any other Player may start a
     Witchhunt by sending a public message that names the alleged
     witch, quotes his or her allegedly heretical message, and calls
     for a Witchhunt.

     A Witchhunt is a Hearing. It is also a Very Grave Matter. The
     valid responses to a Witchhunt are "No! E said the Earth is flat"
     and "BURN THE WITCH!" The Player who tabulates the responses to a
     Witchhunt shall be called Witchfinder General while it is in
     session.

     If the verdict is "BURN THE WITCH!" the alleged witch shall be
     branded a witch and heretic. E shall then be incinerated atop a
     bonfire large enough that it not only reduces the witch to eir
     component atoms but also inspires righteous terror in all who see
     it. When a witch is burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic Afterlife,
     and shall lose 10 points.

     Any Player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is
     considered Enlightened. Any Player burned more than once, however,
     is beyond hope and may never become Enlightened. Any Player who is
     Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may never have a
     Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic. This
     paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.
     ---

     5. Rule 730 ("Steel Flea") shall be amended by replacing the
     paragraph that begins "If any other player believes" with:
     ---
     If any other Player believes that this message is obviously fake
     and not clever or witty enough for the nanotech Phoebe, he or she
     may challenge the authenticity of the message by posting to that
     effect publically. A Hearing is then called, with valid responses
     of "Phoebe would not say anything so crass" and "Phoebe said much
     the same thing to me once". If the verdict is the former, then
     obviously the Player did not accurately report what Phoebe said,
     and e will lose the 6 points awarded previously, and will be fined
     another 6 points for selfishly keeping Phoebe's wisdom to emself.
     Such challenges must be made within 3 days of the wisdom being
     posted, and may only be made once per report.
     ---

     6. Rule 1112.3 ("Let those who are without Harf cast the first
     stone.") shall be amended to read, in full:
     ---
     If any Player feels the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf [that is,
     sitting on the title of Harfmeister with no intent to designate
     any proposals as Harfy], they may start an Inquistition by
     publically calling for one.

     An Inquisition is a Hearing. It is also Strange. The valid
     responses to an Inquisition are "No! He's going to share the
     Harf!", or "Yes! He is Hogging the Harf!" If the verdict is the
     latter, the Harfmeister is guilty of hogging the Harf and must
     immediately go to his or her home if he or she may legally do so.
     The person who called for the Inquisition then becomes the
     Harfmeister.
     ---

     7. Rule 1268 ("Commission d'Arts") is amended by changing
     ---
     5) Upon the issuance of the report, Count Tabula will take votes
     for 3 days, during which each player may vote once on which
     Nominee they prefer, after which the voting results and winning
     Nominee are released. If the voting is tied at the end of the 3
     day voting period, Count Tabula shall break the tie by random
     determination.
     ---
     to
     ---
     5) Upon the issuance of the report, a Hearing is called. The valid
     responses are the names of the Nominees, as listed in the
     Commission's report. The winning Nominee is the Nominee indicated
     by the verdict of the Hearing (if any).
     ---

     8. Rule 1335 ("Codex of Kra") is amended by changing
     ---
     In this case, there will then be a three day voting period, during
     which players may send one vote each to Count Tabula saying either
     "the Ancients weren't that clueless", or "my own experiments have
     produced similar results". No quorum is required; a simple
     majority of votes challenging the translation's accuracy will
     prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the case of this
     particular translation.
     ---
     to
     ---
     In this case, there will then be a Hearing, with valid responses
     of "the Ancients weren't that clueless" and "my own experiments
     have produced similar results". A verdict of "the Ancients weren't
     that clueless" will prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the
     case of this particular translation.
     ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:59:26 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More To Come

The rest of the voting results through 1408 will be released later
tonight... I Promise :)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 16:01:33 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My Demands

If Habeous Corpus ever wants to see his whamiol alive again, he better
transfer me A$500, and do it soon!  I've got a map and i'm not afraid to
use it!

snowgod
outlaw

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 16:05:32 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Inventor:  new blueprint

> Blueprint
> Pyraic Frobnotzer

This sounds like a truly fabulous peice of machinery.  I had a lonely
version of the blueprint in my inventor's lab, and ow how I loinged to
announce it, but I didn't.  This machine was designed my the great
mohammed, and I figure only he should be able to build it.... and now he
is!  Oh I am so happy, let's impeach him!

snowgod
who will bid $500 for the frobnotzer with his soon to be newly aquired
whamiol wealth :0

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 20:03:26 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasures!

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> You do of course realize that if HC doesn't pay, you can't dig it up for
> yourself -- the treasure map explicitly says that only HC can fulfill its
> conditions.

That may not necessarily be true.  Rembember that the map is a private
document the buryer writes and keeps to himself when the treasure is 
buried.  THe buryer is then free to post anything, including a post
like the following, but that post may be misleading.  For example, the
actual map in snowgod's file may be what was posted, with a line at the
end that says snowgod may retrieve it when ever he wants, and he may have
chose to disclose just this part.

On the other hand, this may be the full map.  The full map may be:

The first player to post the word "pumpkin" to the public forum finds
it, and snowgod may have posted this as a ruse.  At least with my 
treasures, keep in mind the way the rule actually works.  I was thinking
of a scheme where the actual map would have to be registered somewhere,
with something simple like crypt() run on it, so this would truly work
as intended.

One thing that may *not* be done is for snowgod to write an internal
map with different conditions now.  This rule requires some degree of
honer, and requires the actual conditions to be written at the time.

Malenkai
whose own treasures will probably never be discovered

> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:
> 
> > I am burying my Whamiol and creating the following treasure map:
> >
> > For to see his Whamiol again,
> > and hold it near his score,
> > Habeous Corpus must transfer some cash,
> > A$500 to be exact,
> > to snowgod, the would be extortionist.
> >
> > Do this and the Whamiols is buried no more.
> >
> > snowgod
> > outlaw
> >
> >
> >

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #341
*******************************