Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #327
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, November 2 1996      Volume 01 : Number 327

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:29:25 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rental 

>Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>> I will rent one of Havbeous Corpus Whamiols for A$15 a week, so yes, I
>> ack.  However, I suppose it is important that Habeous Corpus specify which
>> whamiol he wishes to rent to me.  Unless he states otherwise, I shall
>> assume it is his first Whamiol.
>
>What is the exact status and terms of this rental so I can update my
>web pages?
>
>Malenkai
>preparing for the flood

I am assuming the rental didn't take place.  I am herebeby making a new offer:

I will rent Habeous Corpus first Whamiol for a period of one week.  I am
willing to pay A$15.  This deal will be final when Habeous Corpus acks.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:29:35 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: RE: Acka: Wanted to Buy 

>snowgod wrote:
>
>>I would like to purchase all the common land in ackanomic.  I will pay
>>A$250 for this land.  This deal will be accepted upon the aproval ofat
>>least two senators.
>
>I don't quite agree with your reading of R 839.  The particular part
>you refer to is: "All other land, with or without buildings on them,
>that are not defined in the rules or owned by players will be called
>common lands and under the control of the Financier. All deals to sell
>or buy common land must be done with the approval of at least two
>senators."
>
>I read "under the control of the Financier" to mean that you must strike
>the
>deal with the Financier, but that it must also be approved by two
>senators.  I will consider offers, but I warn you that all the common
>land in Ackanomic
>is worth a considerable sum.  Exactly how much?  Well, we can talk
>terms....
>
>
>ThinMan
>Financier
>Senator (seat Melvin)

I disagree with your reading of the rules, though I have nothing to back up
my case.  It seems that though the lands are under your control, they are
not owned by you... hence the commonality.  I believe that R839 gives us a
specific procedure, namely: Player A makes an offer.  This offer can only
be acked by at least two of the senators.

however, I agree that my case isn't the strongest in ackanomic, so I offer
this:  In exchange for your Financierial (hehe, I like making up words)
approval of this transaction, I will transfer to you 5% of all public lands
gained in this venture.  If you were to then approve the deal in your
capacity as senator (seat melvin -- a fine seat name by the way) you would
recieve an additional 25% of the public lands (assuming you were one of the
first two senators to ack).  I make this deal in the interest of
friendship, regardless of whose case proves to be correct.

snowgod
who notes that game custom and the spirit of the game are both very keen on
bribery

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 01:52:46 EST 
From: [email-masked] (Ed  Graham)
Subject: Acka: Re: Rental

As it has been determined that both whamiols are now synchronous,  it
really makes no difference,  does it?  However for the sake of clarity, 
and in line with my practice concerning the Vending Machine,  I will name
my Whamiols Whammy1 and Whammy2.  Whammy1,  for those who pick nits,  was
the first Whamiol created.

Habeous corpus
too tired to think up cute names for eir entities

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 01:03:53 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re: Rental

Habeous Corpus wrote:
> As it has been determined that both whamiols are now synchronous,  it
> really makes no difference,  does it? 

When was this determined?  I still having them whamming you separately.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 03:03:57 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re: Rental

Ed Graham wrote:
> 
> As it has been determined that both whamiols are now synchronous,  it
> really makes no difference,  does it?  However for the sake of clarity,
> and in line with my practice concerning the Vending Machine,  I will name
> my Whamiols Whammy1 and Whammy2.  Whammy1,  for those who pick nits,  was
> the first Whamiol created.

This still is not an ack, is it?  Is that Whamiol rented yet?

Malenkai
who is too tired to check his back Acka received e-mail, which totals
over 26 meg since I switched to netscape mid april.  That is hard to
believe.  And I've read almost every byte of it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:10:24 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1376 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1376: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
12 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1376 - Thu 24 Oct 18:42 CDT 1996
Speculating in Haunted Bonds
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:                       32 -> 37

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 46
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 55
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 37
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 7
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote
breadbox                                         = 12
fnord                                            = 15

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                         = 3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal

     Amend R 962.2 to replace

     "
     There shall exist the following protected acka-entities: - Bond
     Promissory
     "

     with:

     "
     Bond Promissories exist. They are Protected and Tradeable.
     "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:10:29 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1375 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1375: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
12 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1375 - Wed 23 Oct 5:29 CDT 1996
Giving tinan his Blue Cross Bonus Posthumously, and Removing Another Bug
from the Eggplants
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

/dev/joe gains 5 points:                     3 -> 8

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 46
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 55
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 32
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 7
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed                                         = 3
fnord                                            = 15

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0
breadbox                                         = 12

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a modest proposal.

     {{ [ This was originally two separate proposals; I hadn't noticed
     the problem with resetting scores when I submitted the first one.
     Guy Fawkes apparently lost all the mail I sent him, and P1373
     slightly overlaps this so I have changed the second slightly, and
     combined them into one proposal. ] }}

     Amend rule 962.2 as follows:

     1. Add to the beginning of the rule:
     {{ The undead this is not a name begins haunting the Blue Cross
     Bonus which is in the treasury and has "this is not a name"
     stamped in gold upon it. }}

     2. In the process for when a player leaves the game, move step 5
     before steps 3 and 4, and then renumber steps 5, 3, and 4 to be
     steps 3, 4, and 5 respectively. Change the text "step 3" in step 7
     to "step 4".

     3. Change step 1 in the process for when a player returns to the
     game to read: 1) If e left the game during the current cycle, eir
     score is the minimum of 0 and the score e had when e last left the
     game. Otherwise, eir score is -15 N, where N is the number of
     cycles e has won, and if this causes eir score to be negative, e
     is given a Victory Eggplant. In either case, the player's Eggplant
     Weight is set to -15 N, where N is defined as above. {{ If
     proposal 1373 was not accepted, delete the sentence before this
     one. }}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:10:33 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1374 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1374: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1374 - Wed 23 Oct 11:45 CDT 1996
Praetor
(Guy Fawkes) Robert Shimmin

Guy Fawkes Gains 10 points:                     36 -> 46

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 46
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 55
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 32
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 7
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
breadbox                                         9 -> 12
Mohammed                                         0 -> 3
fnord                                           12 -> 15

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     I. The Office of the Praetor is a Political Office. It has one
     seat. If the seat is vacant, it shall be filled by Nomination and
     Election for Office. Should either of these terms be nonexistant,
     the Clerk of the Court may appoint any eligible player to the
     seat. To be eligible for Nomination and Election or appointment by
     the Clerk of the Court, a player must be active and one or more of
     the following

     a) a Bronze Torch holder
     b) eligible to receive a Bronze Torch
     c) the owner of a Gold Stripe
     d) a former Supreme Court Justice
     e) enshrined in the Hall of Elders

     Regardless of any other eligibility, a current Justice or Acting
     Justice is never eligible.

     If the seat is vacant and there are no eligible players, the seat
     remains vacant.

     If appointed (not elected) to the Office of Praetor, a player has
     three days to accept the Office. I he does not do so within that
     time, the appointment is declared void.

     II. If an Acting Justice needs to be selected because of a
     Justice's Vacation, the Praetor shall be selected before other
     eligible players, if not already an Acting Justice; if the Praetor
     cannot be selected, players eligible to be Praetor shall be
     selected before other players.

     If an Acting Praetor needs to selected due to Vacation, players
     eligible to be Praetor shall be selected before other players.

     III. If a judge or judge-designate should ever be declared a
     deadbeat, the CotC shall select the Praetor as the next Judge for
     the deadbeat's CFJ. If a CFJ is assigned to the Praetor when the
     seat is vacant, it shall be reassigned as if the deadbeat had
     actively declined judgment.

     IV. The Praetor may not decline Judgment. When a CFJ is submitted
     to him, he is assumed to have immediately accepted it. He may send
     a CFJ to the Supreme Court, though he may do this only if he has
     not submitted a CFJ to the Supreme Court within the last 14 days.
     If e does this, he is not required to deliver a verdict.

     V. The Praetor is forbidden to take any action or inaction which
     would cause him to be a deadbeat. If he is ever a deadbeat, he is
     immediately removed from office, and the seat is vacant.

     VI. The player who holds the Office of Praetor may be selected to
     judge CFJ's by the methods described in other rules. Should this
     occur, he is not acting as the Praetor on this CFJ, and he is
     neither bound by the rules of the Office nor able to use the
     Praetor's powers on this CFJ. Should, however, he ever become a
     deadbeat as a result of such a CFJ, he is immediately removed from
     office as described in the previous paragraph, and the CFJ is
     reassigned as if he had actively declined.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- -

     Amend the second sentence of Rule 507 to read:

     It will be composed of two players (called Justices) who are
     neither President, Speaker, Senator, Praetor, or already Justice.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- --

     Amend R569 in the following ways, in the order specified:

     Insert the following paragraph between the existing fourth and
     fifth paragraphs.

     "If a case reached the Supreme Court through submission by the
     Praetor, a player may still appeal the Court's decision, but the
     case shall be treated as if it had already been appealed once."

     Insert the following paragraph between the existing second and
     third paragraphs.

     "A case may also reach the Supreme Court if the Praetor submits
     any CFJ to that body. The Praetor may submit with the CFJ an
     explanation of why he is not deciding it himself, although the
     Supreme Court is under no obligation to read it."

     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Amend Rule 213 to read:

     Having accepted the appointment a Judge has exactly one week in
     which to post an official Judgment. A Judge who fails to delive
     Judgment within that period is considered and deadbeat and
     penalized 10 points, and the CFJ which he was judging shall be
     assigned to the Praetor.

     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Amend Rule 588, paragraph 1 to read:

     When Judgement has been called for, a Judge is randomly selected
     from among the other active players that are eligible to judge
     CFJs, as defined by any other applicable rules. It is a duty of
     the Clerk of the Court to make this selection. The player selected
     has 3 days in which to accept or refuse the appointment by posting
     to the applicable officer. Any player who does not respond to
     selection in 3 days shall be considered a deadbeat and penalized
     10 points, and deemed to have refused appointment; the CFJ shall
     then be assigned to the Praetor. If a selected player actively
     declines appointment, then a further random selection is made from
     the remaining pool.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:10:39 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1373 Passes 

[malenkai +%, Tammany bribe]

Quorum achieved on P1373: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
12 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P1373 was modest

Proposal 1373 - Wed 23 Oct 11:43 CDT 1996
Fixing Unfair Handicapping
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai Gains 5 points:                        27 -> 32

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 36
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 55
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 32
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 7
fnord                                            = 12
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote
Tammany

NO Votes:
- --------
breadbox                                         = 9
Mohammed                                         = 0

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------
     This is a Modest proposal.

     {{[these rule changes have 3 effects:
     1) don't have the point handicapping penalise the winner in terms
     of cash received at the end of the cycle
     2) don't make it count towards having lowest score for the
     purposes of the Chartreuse Goose, that seems too unfair, as the
     Goose is an incentive for good play.
     3) Define a term called "Eggplant Weight" which can be reused in
     similar situations]}}

     ------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Amend R 666 to read:

     Whenever there is a winner declared, the following steps shall be
     conducted, in order:

     a) Ackanomic play is suspended.
     b) All Undead stop haunting all Chartreuse Goose Eggs,
     Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants. Then, all
     Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory
     Eggplants are destroyed.
     c) The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and a Right-Handed
     Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak are created in that player's
     possession. If this results in his having two Champion's Cloaks,
     one of them is instantly transformed into a Badge of Glory.
     d) All players who have zero or fewer points are given a
     Chartreuse Goose Egg.
     e) If the amount of A$s in circulation exceeded the amount in the
     Treasury at the time this winner was declared, the following shall
     occur: 20% (round down) of each Player's A$ balance is transferred
     to the Treasury. The winner shall pay only 10% (round down),
     however. Each Undead stops haunting 20% (rounded down) of the A$
     it is haunting.
     f) Each Player is awarded A$ equal to his point total minus his
     Eggplant Weight.
     g) Bond payments are held in suspension.
     h) Each players' "Eggplant Weight" is recalculated as -15 * N,
     where N is the number of cycles that player has won. Each player's
     score is set to their Eggplant Weight. Each player with a negative
     Eggplant Weight has a Victory Eggplant is created in their
     possession.
     i) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were
     their Eggplant Weight at the end of the previous bond cycle.
     j) If the cycle currently ending has exceeded 30 days in length,
     all players who have been on vacation for the entire cycle are
     removed from the game as if they have quit.
     k) The game cycle number is incremented.
     l) Ackanomic play resumes.

     {{Each player's Eggplant Weight is set to the score they had one
     nanosecond after the current cycle began.}}

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- --------------

     Amend R 1243 so that the section numbered as 4) reads:

     "
     4) A player who has possessed the Goose for at least 30 days may
     pay A$75 to the Treasury and transfer the Goose to the single
     active player with the lowest adjusted score. The player receiving
     the Goose receives A$75 from the Treasury. This option is not
     available if more than one active player has the lowest adjusted
     score. The receiving player may not decline the transfer. For the
     purposes of this section, a player's adjusted score is their score
     minus their Eggplant Weight.
     "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:10:44 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1372 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1372: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 5 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS
P1372 was modest

Proposal 1372 - Wed 23 Oct 11:41 CDT 1996
Reducing Temptation
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes loses 7 points:                      43 -> 36

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 36
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 55
Mohammed                                         = 0
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 7
fnord                                            = 12
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 6
breadbox                                         = 9
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 27

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
IdiotBoy                                         = 0

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Players On Vacation Who Didn't Vote:
- -----------------------------------
Bascule

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------
NONE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 04:15:04 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1373 Passes

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> [malenkai +%, Tammany bribe]

Ooops,

malenkai +5, tammany bribe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:14:13 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1396

Proposal 1396 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:08 CST 1996
In Which We Are Definitely Hearing Things
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

The symbol --- and quote marks are used as delimiters in this
proposal.  The symbols themselves are not part of any body of text the
proposal describes, but merely mark the beginning and end of such texts.

[ The current structure for this type of thing is redundant and a
little sloppy.  Standardize! ]

1.  A new Rule titled "Hearings" is created, reading:
- ---
A Rule may specify circumstances under which a Hearing is called.  When 
this happens, Count Tabula shall announce in a public message that a 
Hearing has been called, citing the rule that requires it and the 
circumstances that brought it about, and telling the valid responses [and 
other pertinent details].  As of this announcement, the Hearing is in 
session.

While the Hearing is in session, each Player may send his or her response 
to that Hearing to Count Tabula privately.  Count Tabula shall record 
each response that matches one of the valid responses for the Hearing.  
If a Player who has already responded sends another valid response, the 
Assistant Tabulator shall discard the previous response and record the 
new one. {{[ This last sentence is probably taken for granted, but it 
isn't in any of the "Hearing" rules as they exist now. ]}}

The Hearing shall end when it has been in session for three days.
When it ends, it ceases to be in session.

Once a Hearing has ended, it has a verdict.  The verdict of the Hearing 
is whichever valid response was given by the most Players in response to 
the Hearing, if exactly one valid response holds this distinction.  
Otherwise, if there is a tie among two or more responses, the verdict 
shall be whichever of the tied responses appears first in the Rule 
defining them.  If no responses were received while the Hearing was in 
session, the verdict shall be "Never mind."  The Assistant Tabulator has 
the Duty of announcing the verdicts of Hearings with all due haste.
- ---

2.  Amend Rule 400/2 ("Politeness Moon") to read, in full:
- ---
Any Player sending a public message should be as polite as possible.  Any 
Player may call a Hearing on the matter of whether a certain public 
message from another Player was polite.

The valid responses to a Politeness Moon Hearing are "Yes, it was 
polite." and "No, it was not polite.". If the verdict of the Hearing 
shows that the message was not polite, the Player who sent it loses 3 
points.  If it shows that it was polite, its author gets the nickname 
Jazz JackRabbit for the next 3 days.
- ---

3.  Amend Rule 414/7 ("The Office of the Tabulator") by
substituting "Hearings" for "Politeness Moons" wherever
the latter appears.

4.  Rule 729 shall be amended to read, in full:
- ---
The Earth is flat.  Contradiction of this fact is Heresy.

If, in a public message, a Player refers to the Earth being round, or 
implies that this may be the case, any other Player may start a Witchhunt 
by sending a public message that names the alleged witch, quotes his or 
her allegedly heretical message, and calls for a Witchhunt.

A Witchhunt is a Hearing.  It is also a Very Grave Matter.  The valid
responses to a Witchhunt are "No! E said the Earth is flat" and "BURN THE
WITCH!"  The Player who tabulates the responses to a Witchhunt shall be 
called Witchfinder General while it is in session.

If the verdict is "BURN THE WITCH!" the alleged witch shall be branded a
witch and heretic.  E shall then be incinerated atop a bonfire large enough
that it not only reduces the witch to eir component atoms but also inspires
righteous terror in all who see it.  When a witch is burned, e shall enter
the Ackanomic Afterlife, and shall lose 10 points.

Any Player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened.  Any Player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope and
may never become Enlightened.  Any Player who is Enlightened is free to say
what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be
burned as a heretic.  This paragraph has precedence over all others in this
rule.
- ---

5.  Rule 730 ("Steel Flea") shall be amended by
replacing the paragraph that begins "If any other
player believes" with:
- ---
If any other Player believes that this message is obviously fake and not 
clever or witty enough for the nanotech Phoebe, he or she may challenge 
the authenticity of the message by posting to that effect publically.  A 
Hearing is then called, with valid responses of "Phoebe would not say 
anything so crass" and "Phoebe said much the same thing to me once".  If 
the verdict is the former, then obviously the Player did not accurately 
report what Phoebe said, and e will lose the 6 points awarded previously, 
and will be fined another 6 points for selfishly keeping Phoebe's wisdom 
to emself.  Such challenges must be made within 3 days of the wisdom 
being posted, and may only be made once per report.
- ---

6.  Rule 1112.3 ("Let those who are without Harf cast
the first stone.") shall be amended to read, in full:
- ---
If any Player feels the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf [that is, sitting 
on the title of Harfmeister with no intent to designate any proposals as 
Harfy], they may start an Inquistition by publically calling for one.

An Inquisition is a Hearing.  It is also Strange.  The valid responses to
an Inquisition are "No!  He's going to share the Harf!", or "Yes!  He is
Hogging the Harf!"  If the verdict is the latter, the Harfmeister is
guilty of hogging the Harf and must immediately go to his or her home if
he or she may legally do so.  The person who called for the Inquisition
then becomes the Harfmeister.
- ---

7.  Rule 1268 ("Commission d'Arts") is amended by changing
- ---
5) Upon the issuance of the report, Count Tabula will take votes for
3 days, during which each player may vote once on which Nominee they
prefer, after which the voting results and winning Nominee are
released. If the voting is tied at the end of the 3 day voting
period, Count Tabula shall break the tie by random determination.
- ---
to
- ---
5) Upon the issuance of the report, a Hearing is called.  The valid
responses are the names of the Nominees, as listed in the Commission's
report.  The winning Nominee is the Nominee indicated by the verdict
of the Hearing (if any).
- ---

8.  Rule 1335 ("Codex of Kra") is amended by changing
- ---
In this case, there will then be a three day voting
period, during which players may send one vote each to Count Tabula
saying either "the Ancients weren't that clueless", or "my own
experiments have produced similar results". No quorum is required; a
simple majority of votes challenging the translation's accuracy will
prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the case of this
particular translation.
- ---
to
- ---
In this case, there will then be a Hearing, with valid responses of
"the Ancients weren't that clueless" and "my own experiments have
produced similar results".  A verdict of "the Ancients weren't that
clueless" will prove that the AckaPhysicist is a quack in the case of
this particular translation.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:14:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1397

Proposal 1397 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:08 CST 1996
Clarifying the Judicial Hierarchy
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend R 508 by adding the following text as a seperate paragraph at the
end:
"Supreme Court Justices and acting Supreme Court Justices are ineligible
to
be selected to judge CFJs."

{{ [ This does two things: (1) Spreads the Bronze Torch points around a
little more, and (2) (almost) Assures that a CFJ appeal does not have to
get past the original judge on the Supreme Court. ] }}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:15:01 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1398

Proposal 1398 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:09 CST 1996
That's Too Silly
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

Rule 728 shall be amended to read:

If a proposal containing the phrase "cows eat grass" is accepted, then
the player who submitted the proposal is said to be silly, and shall
score 5 points when the results of the voting on that proposal are
distributed.

{{[ It is game custom that Silly players only score the bonus once
(instead of             continuously), but I want to codify it into a
rule.  I also want to avoid
    the grey area of whether or not proposals continue to exist once
their
    voting period expires. ]}} 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:15:17 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1399

Proposal 1399 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:09 CST 1996
Regulatory Reform / Rock maintenance
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

R 906 is hereby repealed.

{{[ R 906 is redundant with R 592.  Just cleaning up some clutter. ]}}

R 1036 shall be amended to read, in its entirety:
"There exists an type of entities called A Rock To Wind A String Around
(henceforth known as rock).  Rocks may be manipulated by vending
machines, should such things exist. Rocks are Tradeable."

{{[ This makes it clear that there may be (in fact, is) more than one
rock.  It removes language that coincides with the defaults for
entities, and it removes the stipulation that the Rock is unowned. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:15:31 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1400

Proposal 1400 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:09 CST 1996
Just Monkeying Around
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

R 824 shall be amended by inserting the following sentence as a seperate
paragraph before the existing text: "The Brass Monkey exists and is
unowned."

R 823 is hereby repealed.

{{[ I am always for reducing the number of rules.  R 823 should have
been
    part of R 824 in the first place.  This also codifies the Monkey's
    ownership and removes the unnecessary bit about having no function.
]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:15:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1401

Proposal 1401 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:10 CST 1996
New Pay Scale
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend R 609, section (v) to read:

(v)   Salaries:

            If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to receive
a                         specified salary in A$s, then that number of
A$ is transferred
            from the Treasury to that Officer at noon on the first
Monday of
            each month.

{{[ This will make things easier on the Financier, whether it is
Malenkai,
    me, or someone else. ]}}

Amend R 612, section (ii) to read:

(ii)   As a Privilege of Office, each Player shall receive a monthly
salary of               A$25 for every Functional Office held.

{{[ A modification here is necessary with the change applied to R 609.
This
    amendment actually constitutes a pay raise for functional officers,
which
    I think very appropriate. ]}}

Amend R 615, section (iii) to read:

(iii) As an additional Privilege of Office, the Speaker shall receive a
      monthly salary of A$35. 

{{[ Again, necessary with the conversion to monthly salaries, plus a pay
raise. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:16:09 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1402

Proposal 1402 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:10 CST 1996
Duck, duck, goose
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Replace the phrase "A player who has possessed the Goose..." in sections 
3 and 4 of Rule 1243 with "A player who possesses the Goose and has done 
so..."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:16:24 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1403

Proposal 1403 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:10 CST 1996
Happy Trails, to You
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Insert the following paragraph into Rule 1276, immediately after section G.

H. During the course of a game of Grab-a-Donkey, the Wrangler may 
voluntarily give the transfer the title of Wrangler to any willing player 
not on the GAL.  The transfer must occur between two rounds, immediatly 
after the old wrangler releases the results for a round.  If the 
Wrangler goes on Vacation or quits the game of Ackanomic, the first player 
not on the GAL to name himself Wrangler shall become the Wrangler, and the game 
of Grab-a-Donkey shall continue from its last publically knowable state.  If 
no player not on the GAL does so within three days, and the old Wrangler has 
not yet returned from Vacation or rejoined the game, then the current 
game of Grab-a-Donkey will end, and there shall be no Wrangler. 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:16:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1405

Proposal 1405 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:10 CST 1996
Lost Treasures
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Add the following paragraph to the end of Rule 1348.2

If neither the map writer nor any map custodian for a given Treasure Map 
is registered as a player, that Treasure shall be considered lost, and it 
shall be transferred to the Treasury.  Any Trinkets in that Treasure 
shall be converted to their value in A$, and the Treasure Map for that 
Treasure shall be destroyed.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:17:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1404

Proposal 1404 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:11 CST 1996
The FM Revisited
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend R 482, part II, section (2) to read:

2) An entity is Tradeable if and only if the rules specify that it is,
otherwise it is non-Tradeable.  No entity may be transferred or
exchanged
except by methods specified in the rules. 

{{[ This fixes a problem that non-Tradeable entities might have been
possible
    to exchange under the auspices of R 115.  It also simplifies the
language
    and clarifies the situation: Tradability really only qualifies an
entity
    for exchange on the Free Market, and serves as a general class of
entities
    for conceptual purposes.  Neither Tradeable nor non-Tradeable
entities are
    supposed to be exchangeable except as described by the Rules anyway.
 I've
    been wanting to do this for some time. ]}}

Amend R 482, part II, section (3) to read:

   3) The FM is a conceptual tool, physically realized in the public
fora
   and the Financier's log of transactions.  There is also an AckaNomic
   building named the Free Market.

Amend R 482, part II, section (5) by renumbering it as "i)".

Amend R 482, part II, section (6) by renumbering it as "ii)".

Amend R 482, part II, section (7) by renumbering it as "5)", striking
the
first sentence, and adding the following sentences to the end: "The
Financier should keep a record of each transaction, preferrably in his
log.  Failure to keep a record of a legal transaction is a Crime."

{{[ The above changes make the FM definition match what we're actually
doing.
    It's always nice to do that. ]}}

Amend R 482, part II by deleting section (8).
{{[ section (8) is superfluous. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:17:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1406

Proposal 1406 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:11 CST 1996
More Otzma Tweaking
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest Proposal

Modify the rule entitled "Definition of Otzma Cards" as follows.
- ----
Change III, 4, d to read

d. CrIndex -- creation index for a given type of Otzma Card. CrIndex is 
defined as MaxCard-LiveCard.  If MaxCard is not defined for a specific 
type of Otzma Card, then CrIndex is defined as the average of the 
CrIndexes of all the other types of Otzma Cards.  If MaxCard is not 
defined for any type of Otzma card, then CrIndex for each type is 15.

- ----
Change III, 4, f, (v) to read

(v) After all changes have been applied the following adjustments are 
made: Any negative CrIndex is changed to zero.  A CrIndex which is 
greater than MaxCard for that type is changed to MaxCard.  (For this 
purpose only, the MaxCard value for a type that has no MaxCard defined 
shall be the highest MaxCard for any type.  If no values of Maxcard are 
defined, then for this purpose only, MaxCard for all types will be 100.)

- ----
Change III, 6, a, fifth sentence to read

Each Probablility point can be used by the RuneMaker to increase or 
decrease CrIndex of any Otzma Card type by one, as long as decreasing a 
CrIndex doesn't bring it down to zero.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:17:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1407

Proposal 1407 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:11 CST 1996
Donkeys can't be *that* attractive
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend R 1276 to reletter current sections 'E' thru 'G' to 'F' thru 'H',
and add a new section 'E' which reads:

E.  All players who have admired their donkeys for the fifth consecutive
round will be removed from the GAL at the start of the following Round.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:18:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1408

Proposal 1408 -- Sat 2 Nov 8:12 CST 1996
More Swinger Tweaking
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Ammend R1269 "Newton, Apples, and Parites" to read in full:
"

1. Let NoS be the the number of Swingers, excludings Swinger on Vacation,
including Acting Swingers.
2. Every two weeks on Tuesday, the following things happen:
  a. All existing Swingpoints are converted to points and are added to the
     scores of the players who own them.
  b. The Chess-Umpire awards Swingpoints to Swingers who have
     positive Weights according to the following scheme:
    (i) The Swinger or Swingers with the highest Absolute Weight
	receives NoS-1 SwingPoints.
    (ii) The Swinger or Swingers with the second highest Absolute Weight
        receives NoS-2 SwingPoints.

    (iii) The Swinger or Swingers with the third highest Absolute Weight
        receives NoS-3 SwingPoints.
    (iv) If NoS>4 then the Swinger or Swingers with the fourth highest
        Absolute Weight receives NoS-4 SwingPoints.
    (v) If NoS>5 the Swinger or Swingers with the fifth highest Absolute
  	Weight receives NoS-5 SwingPoints.
    (vi) If NoS>6 then the Swinger or Swingers with the sixth highest
	 Absolute Weight receives Nos-6 SwingPoints.
c. If it is not possible to find a Swinger that answers the description in any of the above 
sections, then that section is ignored. A Swinger who received Swinger points by one section
cannot receive Swingerpoint by section which follows it.

3. Swingpoints are Tradable.
4. Swingpoints can converted to the following items:
   a. Any set of Swingpoints can be converted to an equal number of points
	 which are added  to the player's score.
   b. A set of four Swingpoints can be converted to a single Bonus-Vote.
   c. Any set of Swingpoints can be converted into an equal number of
      probability points which are added to the CrIndex of an Otzma Card type
      chosen by the player. 

5. The process of conversion. 
  a. A player can only convert Swingpoints that e owns, if a player
	attempts to vonvert more Swingpoints than e owns, the conversion
	does not take place.
  b. A player makes a conversion by publically anouncing the fact the e is
	doing so.
  c. A player can only make a single conversion at a time.
  d. A player can only make a conversion if e has not made any conversion
     of any type in the preceding 7 days. A player cannot make a
     conversion if e has made a conversion of the same type in the 
     preceding 14 days. The default conversion described in 2a, is
     not subject to these restrictions.

6. It is the duty of the Chess-Umpire to track all aspects of Swingpoints.
   If there is no Chess-Umpire, then it is the duty of the
   newest Swinger to keep track of Swingpoints.
"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #327
*******************************