Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #321
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, October 30 1996      Volume 01 : Number 321

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:01:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senatorial approval of the Tower of Bandwidth

Fellow Ackanomians, and snowgod in particular, I am hereby making it
publically official (and knowable) that the Senate did in fact approve
snowgod's plan for a new Tower, the "Tower of Bandwidth."

On behalf of the Senate, I apologize for the excessive delay in
announcing this fact, and for the resulting confusion. This was partly
due to our own difficulty in deciding whether or not we had in fact
approved it. After carefully examining the rules, however, we
determined that the Tower rule only requires that the *voting* occur
within three days for it to be approved. Which is in fact what
happened, and is in no way invalidated by our lack of announcement,
confusion notwithstanding.

Therefore, in order to prevent such problems from happening again, I
have now been charged with ensuring that all future Senatorial
decisions concerning the public are made known in a timely fashion.

We respectfully request that snowgod get off that bench before he
catches his death of cold (in fact I am hereby destroying said bench
per R115), and start getting to work on Ackanomia's first privately
financed tower.

        Yr Public Srvnt,

        breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:16:16 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 314 (mr cwm)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Ok, bad example.  "It cannot be determined with finality whether
> > the Chartreuse Goose can lift a mass of 5 kg".  You get the idea.  IMO,
> > a paradox which has no potential effect on the game state should be
> > invalid.  You cannot specify everything.
> 
> There's a big difference between *should be* and *is*.  I wrote this CFJ 
> for multiple reasons, one of which was to illustrate this weakness in the 
> current paradox win situation. 
> 
> > In accordance withR 115, I am travelling back in time to 3 days ago,
> > and I am making the Gaol 25 meters tall, and all other buildings 20
> > meters tall.
> 
> I am invoking R115 to travel back in time to 1 ns after Malenkai's 
> action, and I am causing the height of everybuilding to obey the sine 
> function h = 20 + 10 sin (t - a), where h is the height in meters, t is 
> the time in seconds since I took this action, and a is a different real 
> number for each building.  I am deliberately not specifying the value of 
> a for any building. 
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> this thread has high potential for becoming Mozarella vs. Limberger
>
It is sufficient to show that there exist one single highest building in
order to make this CFJ false. If you want to really confuse the brass
monkey, make at least two buildings the same height , and all other
buildings shorter. In that case, there would be no highest building.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:18:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Appreciating the Web-Harfer

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> However, I note that functional officers do get paid -- the pay is very
> little, though, compared to the amount of work some offices require: A$3
> per week.  I easily do as much work for Ackanomic as Web-Harfer in a week
> as the Poet Laureate will probably do for Malenkai's offer of A$40, 
> although the poet's work requires more creativity.

I believe this salary was fixed before the Great A$ Devaluation

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:32:43 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Appreciating the Web-Harfer

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> > 
> > However, I note that functional officers do get paid -- the pay is very
> > little, though, compared to the amount of work some offices require: A$3
> > per week.  I easily do as much work for Ackanomic as Web-Harfer in a week
> > as the Poet Laureate will probably do for Malenkai's offer of A$40, 
> > although the poet's work requires more creativity.
> 
> I believe this salary was fixed before the Great A$ Devaluation
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck

About a month ago I drafted up a proposal that would increase the pay
scale for ALL salaries by a factor of tenl.  I didn't distribute it
because there were too many things going on then, but if anyone is
interested I maight just.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:14:34 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1365 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1365: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
9 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 2 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1365 - Sun 20 Oct 7:07 CDT 1996
In Which We Crack Down on Crime
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

Mohammed gains 10 points:                     -10 -> 0

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 38
fnord                                            = 6
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 1
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 26
(None Yet) Unity Vote
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Mohammed                                         = -10

NO Votes:
- --------
Habeous Corpus                                 11 -> 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan            29 -> 31

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     1. Rule 710 ("Criminal Justice") is amended by changing the
     section which reads:
     ---
     3) Its "statement" shall be "X has broken the Rules", where X is
     replaced with the name of a registered player.
     ---
     to
     ---
     3) Its "statement" shall be "X has committed a Crime", where X is
     replaced with the name of a registered player.
     ---

     2. A new rule is created, titled "Crime", reading:
     ---
     To break the Rules is a Crime, a Felony.

     To perform an action specified by the Rules to be Illegal is a
     Crime. An action specified by the Rules to be "impermissible" is,
     by contrast, impossible. However, an attempt to commit such an
     action is a Crime [even though the action itself does not occur].

     Failure of an Officer to perform a Duty of an Office e holds is a
     Crime. The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is Malpractice,
     which is also a Crime.
     ---

     3. Rule 362 ("No Dead Players Allowed") is amended to read, in
     full:
     ---
     If any player who is not currently on a voluntarily activated
     vacation does not vote or communicate publicly with all of the
     Ackanomic players for a time period of one week, and this fact is
     pointed out to the Speaker by any player, then the Speaker has a
     Duty to send a message to the player who has been absent. In this
     message the Speaker has a Duty to ask the player if e wishes to
     continue playing the game, and to point out why the message is
     being sent. If the player does not reply within two days, then e
     is placed on vacation with an expected duration of two days,
     unless e never was an active player, in which case e is removed
     from the game, and treated as if e never joined the game [and thus
     no Undead is created, etc].
     ---

     [This changes "must" to "has the Duty of".]

     4. Rule 414 ("The Office of the Tabulator") is amended by
     replacing
     ---
     (c) to report the acceptance or rejection of each proposal.
     Proposal results must be reported in the time order in which their
     voting periods ended.
     ---
     with
     ---
     (c) to report the acceptance or rejection of proposals, in the
     time order in which their voting periods ended.
     ---

     5. Rule 569 ("Overturning Judgements") is amended by replacing
     ---
     The Supreme Court must then decide the case and return its verdict
     within one week.
     ---
     with
     ---
     The Supreme Court shall then decide the case, and should return
     its verdict within one week.
     ---

     6. Rule 775 ("Church") is amended by replacing
     ---
     c.All Church members must abide by Church Policy as long as they
     are members of the Church.
     ---
     with
     ---
     c. A Player who disobeys the Church Policy of a Church of which he
     or she is a member is guilty of Iconoclasm, which is a Crime. It
     is impermissible for a Player to take a game action which
     constitutes Iconoclasm if he or she has any legal alternative
     which would not constitute Iconoclasm. [That is, Iconoclasm
     normally doesn't happen unless there is no alternative. It is
     possible for a player to commit Iconoclasm by inaction, though.]
     ---

     and by replacing
     ---
     The Church must respond within 4 days with an explanation it finds
     suitable. A Church may provide such an explanation even if no
     request was made.
     ---
     with
     ---
     Members of the Church may respond to this however they like, and
     any such response has the official Ackanomic Seal of Politeness,
     regardless of how brain-stoppingly offensive it is.
     ---

     and by replacing
     ---
     7. a. When a player wishes to join a Church, e may communicate
     this fact to the Church Founder either publically or privately.

     b. If Church Policy has nothing to say on accepting new members,
     then Church membership will be up to the Founder.

     c. Whenever a new player joins a Church, the Church Founder must
     make a public announcement to that effect.

     d. A player may leave a Church at any time.
     ---
     with
     ---
     7. a. Any player may petition the Founder of a Church for
     membership in that Church.

     b. If Church Policy has nothing to say on accepting new members,
     then Church membership will be up to the Founder. However, a
     Player cannot become a member of a Church until the Founder of the
     Church sends a public announcement to that effect.

     c. A player may leave a Church at any time.
     ---

     and by replacing
     ---
     8. a. A Church must always have at least one Priest.

     b. A Church must always have at least at four members, including
     Priests.
     ---
     with
     ---
     8. a. If a Church ever has no Priests or (Heaven forbid) has fewer
     than zero Priests, that Church is disbanded. That is, it no longer
     exists as a Church.

     b. If a Church ever has fewer than four members, it is disbanded.
     ---

     7. Rule 779 ("Succession Proceedings") is amended by replacing
     ---
     3) Upon SPS being invoked, one of the players invoking them must
     send a message to the current Speaker stating what is going on,
     with the subject line "Ackanomic: Official: SPS". If the current
     Speaker responds to the message in the public forum within 3 days,
     SPS is immediately terminated.
     ---
     with
     ---
     3) If no one sends a message to the current Speaker within a day
     of SPS being invoked, stating what is going on, with the subject
     line "Ackanomic: Official: SPS", SPS are immediately terminated.
     If the current Speaker responds to the message in the public forum
     within 3 days, SPS is immediately terminated.
     ---

     8. Rule 797 ("Festival of Torkola") is amended by replacing
     ---
     The Promoter is strongly encouraged, but not required, to do this.
     He or she must consider the state of the game and popular opinion
     when making this decision.
     ---
     with
     ---
     The Promoter is strongly encouraged, but not required, to do this,
     taking into consideration the state of the game and popular
     opinion.
     ---

     9. Rule 818 ("Prosthetic Foreheads") is amended by replacing
     ---
     A player may wear a Prosthetic Forehead that they own, but e may
     wear only one Prosthetic Forehead at a time. A player must
     announce publicly whenever it starts or stops wearing a Prosthetic
     Forehead, and must also announce what type of Prosthetic Forehead
     is involved.
     ---
     with
     ---
     A Player who is not already wearing a Prosthetic Forehead may wear
     any one e owns by announcing publicly that e is doing so and what
     type of Prosthetic Forehead is involved. A Player who is wearing a
     Prosthetic Forehead may remove it by announcing the action
     publicly.
     ---

     10. Rule 832 ("Postmaster") is amended by replacing
     ---
     All players, except those who are vacationing, must be subscribed
     to the official mailing list at all times.
     ---
     with
     ---
     For a Player who is not on vacation to unsubscribe from the
     official mailing list is a Crime.
     ---

     11. Rule 892 ("Journalistic Integrity") is amended by replacing
     ---
     If a newspaper publishes an article containing any statement that
     another player considers to be untrue, that player may ask for a
     correction to be published in the same newspaper. The player must
     voice her objection publically within a week of the article being
     published.

     If a correction is not published by the newspaper within a week of
     the complaint being made, or if the complainant is not satisfied
     with the correction, then she may make a Call for Criminal
     Judgement against the owner of the offending newspaper.
     ---
     with
     ---
     It is a Crime for a Player to refuse to publish, in a newspaper he
     or she owns, a correction of an untrue statement that previously
     appeared in that newspaper, after a public request for such a
     correction has been made. Simply neglecting to publish such a
     correction for a period of three days or more after the request
     shall be taken as refusal to do so.
     ---

     12. Rule 924 ("Required Reading") is amended by removing section
     f).

     [f) The Web-Harfer may publically request that the Speaker help
     him or her in his or her attempt to comply with clause a) and b).
     If such a request is made, the Speaker must make a bona-fide
     effort to help the Web-Harfer.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:14:41 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1369 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1369: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 6 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1369 - Mon 21 Oct 7:14 CDT 1996
Otzma Cards
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points:               31 -> 41

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 41
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 30
fnord                                            = 6
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 41

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0
breadbox                                         = 9
Mohammed                                         = -10
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 3
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 0

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Create a new rule entitled:
     "Otzma Cards Rule Suite"

     Which contains the following text:
     "
     [Otzma Cards are a set of entities that can be used to carry out
     game actions. They can be used only once. They can be perceived as
     Magic style cards for Ackanomic, or as Gadgets that can only be
     used once.]
     "

     [Otzma Cards Rules.]
     {{[this is the suitable phrase]}}

     ---------------------------
     Create a new rule member of Otzma Cards Rule Suite, entitled
     "Definition of Otzma Cards", which contains the following text:
     "

     I.
     1. Otzma Cards are Protected
     2. Otzma Cards can be created only according to the rules.

     II.
     1. At any given time the number of Otzma Cards in existence may
     not exceed 100

     2. Any single player may not own more than six Otzma Cards
     simultaneously.

     3. Otzma Cards are tradable.

     4. If a player already owns the maximum number of Otzma Cards and
     receives or acquires an additional Otzma Card, e must destroy, as
     soon as possible, either the new Otzma Card, or one of eir
     existing Otzma Cards.

     5. If a player receives or acquires an Otzma Card, that cannot be
     owned by that player simultaneously with other cards owned by that
     player, then the player must destroy as soon as possible one or
     more Otzma Cards, until the Otzma Cards e owns meet all the
     restrictions placed on Otzma Cards.

     6. In either of the cases described inthe above subsection 4,5.
     The Player cannot use any Otzma Cards until the Otzma Cards e owns
     meet all the restrictions laid down by the rules.

     III.
     1. The RuneMaker can only create Otzma Cards on Otzma-Days. Other
     methods for creating Otzma Cards may be defined by other rules, as
     long as the maximum number of Cards created in any period of 7
     consecutive days is 14.

     2. The following entities have the authority to declare an
     Otzma-Day: the President, the RuneMaker, any Institution. a
     proposal which has been accepted according to the rules can also
     declare an Otzma Day

     3. Otzma-Days must be declared at least three-days in advance,
     unless it has been declared by a proposal. An Otzma-Day last for
     three days or until the RuneMaker has declared the end of
     Otzma-Day, whichever comes first. Once an Otzma-Day is over, at
     least 10 days must pass before the next Otzma-Day can start.

     4. When an Otzma-Day starts the RuneMaker determines values of the
     following:
     a. LSAP - Longest String of Accepted Proposals, since the previous
     Otzma-Day. On the first Otzma Day, the LSAP is calculated from the
     begining of the game of Ackanomic.
     b. MaxCard - the maximum number of cards allowed for given type of
     Otzma Card, for which a maximum is defined
     c. LiveCard - the number of cards of a given type of Otzma Cards
     in existence
     d. CrIndex - creation index of for a given of Otzma Card. CrIndex
     is defined as MaxCard-LiveCard. If MaxCard is not defined for a
     specific type of Otzma Card then CrIndex is defined as the average
     of all CrIndex of all the other Otzma Cards.
     e. TCrIndex - The total of all CrIndex for Otzma Card types.
     f. Other rules may dictate ways in which CrIndex may be increased
     or decreased subject to the following restrictions:
     (i)Such rules can only specify a method that increases or
     decreases a CrIndex by an integer value. They do not specify an
     absolute CrIndex value.
     (ii) Changes to CrIndex specified by other rules are calculated
     after individual CrIndex values for all Otzma Card types have been
     calculated and before TCrIndex has been calculated.
     (iii) Changes specified by other rules have no effect on Otzma
     Card types for which a value of zero has been calculated by
     section III 4 d of this rule.
     (iv)When more two or more rules change the same CrIndex, the
     changes are applied on rule at a time, by order of the ordinal
     numbers of the rules, the rule with the lowest ordinal number is
     applied first.
     (v) After all changes have been applied the following adjustments
     are made: Any negative CrIndex is changed to zero. An CrIndex
     which is bigger than MaxCard for that type is changed to MaxCard.
     Any CrIndex for types that have no MaxCard defined, is changed to
     the highest MaxCard

     5. The maximum number of Otzma Cards that the RuneMaker may create
     on an Otzma-Day is equal to the largest integer smaller to or
     greater than (LSAP-1)/2. If LSAP is equal to or greater than 10,
     then the RuneMaker must create at least 1 Otzma Card, provided
     that the number of Cards created does not bring the total number
     of Cards in existence over 100. If no Otzma Cards types are
     defined, or if the restriction on the types which are defined make
     it illegal to create Cards of that type, then the RuneMaker does
     not create any Otzma Cards, instead e posts a message to the
     effect that it's too bad e can't create any Otzma Cards.

     6. Creating Otzma Cards:
     a. There are two method for creating Otzma Cards: Deterministic
     and Probabilistic. The first Card created on an Otzma day may be
     created using either the Probabilistic or Deterministic method .
     Any Other Card Created by the RuneMaker on an Otzma-Day must be
     created using the Probablistic method. If all cards are created
     using the Probabalistic method, then e receives 9 probability
     points. Each Probaility point can be used by the RuneMaker to
     increas or decrease CrIndex of any Otzma Card type, as long as
     decreasing a CrIndex doesn't bring it down to zero. The RuneMaker
     must publically anounce the method used to create the Otzma-Cards.
     The RuneMaker does not have to use all 9 probability points,if
     they are used, then TCrIndex must be updated accordingly.

     b. The Deterministic method - The RuneMaker selects an Otzma-Card
     type among the legal Otzma Card types and creates it.

     c. The Probabilistic method -
     The RuneMaker determines the type of the new Otzma Card by
     randomly selecting a type among the legal Otzma Card types. The
     probability for a given type is equal to the CrIndex for that type
     divided by TCrIndex. If more than one Otzma Card is created by the
     RuneMaker, then after each Card is created, the CrIndex for that
     type is decremented by one and the TCrIndex is decremented by one.

     d. The RuneMaker gives each card a unique Otzma Card ID (OCID).
     The OCID is the smallest integer which larger than the OCID of the
     previous Otzma Card created. Each Otzma Card retains its OCID for
     the entire duration of its existence.
     The OCID of the first Otzma Card created is 101.

     c. At the end of the Otzma-Day the RuneMaker anounces publically
     the following information about each Otzma Card created that day:
     OCID, Otzma Card type.
     He also anounces the begining of an Auction for each Otzma Card.
     The Auction is conducted according to R1023 "Auction", except that
     on those cases that the Inventor would have been the Acutioneer,
     the RuneMaker replaces the Inventor as Auctioneer. This section
     takes precedence over the R1023 "Auction".

     IV. Otzma Card Types.
     1. Otzma Card types may be defined by other rules which explicitly
     claim that they are defining Otzma Card Types, and belong to the
     Otzma Card Rule Suite. This rule takes precedence over any rule
     which defines an Otzma Card type

     V.
     1. Otzma Cards may only be used according to the rules.

     2. Each Otzma Card can only be used once. Once it has been used,
     it is destroyed.

     3. A Player uses an Otzma Card by notifying the appropriate
     Officer that e is using an Otzma Card, and which Card e is using,
     depending on the type of Card. If the Otzma Card definition does
     not define a specific Officer, context, or forum in which the Card
     can be used, then its use must be anounced in the public forum. In
     any case, the use of Otzma Cards must be reported to the
     RuneMaker.

     4. All transaction involving Otzma Cards must be reported to the
     RuneMaker.

     5. When a player uses an Otzma Card on a proposal, and the
     proposal is retracted, the Otzma Card is destroyed.

     6. The results of using an Otzma Card are published by the
     appropriate Officer, along with the name of the Player who used
     the Card, and the manner of its use.

     7. The RuneMaker keeps tracks of all transactions and uses
     involving Otzma Cards, and of all Otzma Cards in existence.

     8. A Player can only an Otzma Card that e owns.

     9. A player may use at most one Otzma Card per proposal.

     10. When a player has used an Otzma Card in a public forum, e may
     not another Otzma Card in a public forum for three days. This
     section has no effect on Otzma Cards used on proposals.
     "

     ----------------------

     Proposal to create a new rule entitled "Otzma Card Type Go Fish",
     which is a member of Rule Suite Otzma Cards, and contains the
     following text:
     "
     1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called 'Go Fish'
     2. An Otzma Card of type 'Go Fish' can be used in the following
     ways:
     a. In a public forum it can be used to nullify an action or an
     effect caused by another Otzma Card, provided that the Go Fish
     Card is played no more than three days after the Card it attempts
     to nullify has been played. The player who plays the Go Fish Card
     plays the Card by anouncing that e is playing it, and which Card
     it is being used on. The anouncement must non-ambigous.
     b. A Go Fish Card can only be used on another Go Fish card, if the
     Go Fish card it his used on was not used on another Go Fish card.
     c. When used on proposals. A player can use a Go Fish card on a
     proposal by sending a message to that effect to the tabulator.
     When a Go Fish Card is used on a proposal, all other Cards used on
     that proposal have no effect, but they are destroyed anyway. If
     more than one Go Fish Card is used on a proposal, then the effect
     is the same as if one Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal.
     When a Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal, the date of the
     end of the Voting on that Proposal is considered to the date it
     has been used.
     3. This rule takes precedence over all the rules in the Otzma Card
     Rule Suite.

     {{[This has nothing to do with the time limits between cards. If
     someone has one such Card, and uses it on a proposal, this fact is
     only publically known when the votes are released. This allows
     proper tracking of the use of Cards. If anyone likes, I can draw
     out the scenarios that would get complicated if this were not
     so]}}

     {{[For now I am only proposing this Card, which I believe to be
     very important. Other Exmples of Cards I already RFCd, I will
     start proposing some after this rule is accepted.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:14:47 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1370 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1370: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 4 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1370 - Mon 21 Oct 7:14 CDT 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece Archer
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points:               41 -> 51

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 41
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 3
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 6
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 41
Mohammed                                         = -10

NO Votes:
- --------
fnord                                            6 -> 9
ThinMan                      Vulcan              0 -> 3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0
breadbox                                         = 9
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 30
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     A proposal to create a rule entitld "Creaion of a PartyChessPiece
     Archer", which is a member of the PartyChess Rule Suite, and
     contains the following text:
     "

     1. An Archer is represented by the ASCII Character "A" 2. The
     Archers move is made up of two parts:
     In the first part the Archer moves either vertically or
     horizontally a distance of d1 squares, where d1 is either 1,2,3 or
     4. In the second part the Archer moves a distance of 4-d1 in a
     direction perpendicular to the direction he moved in the first
     part (in the second part the distance can be 0)
     3. An Archer capture from a distance. An Archer can capture any
     opposing piece that occupies a square at a maximum distance of 4,
     either vertically or horizontally, or a at a maximum distance of 3
     diagonally, provided that all the squares between the Archer and
     the captured piece are unoccupied.
     The Archer does not replace the captured piece, but remains on the
     same square it occupied when the turn started. An Archer cannot
     capture using the move decribed in section 2 of this rule.
     4. An Archer has a material value of 7

     "

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:14:52 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1368 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1368: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
9 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 2 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES
P 1368 was modest.

Proposal 1368 - Mon 21 Oct 7:12 CDT 1996
No Magic Letter Hogs
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:                        25 -> 30

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 41
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 30
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
fnord                                            = 6
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 6
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 0
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 31
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                         = -10
snowgod                      (None Yet)          =   3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy                                         = 0
breadbox                                         = 9

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text of Passes Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend R 1240 to replace the first occurrance in section VII of

     "any active player other than the Scholar"

     with:

     "any active player other than the Scholar or the most recent
     player to ever name a Magic Letter"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:14:56 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1366 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1366: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
7 YES votes - 4 NO votes - 2 PRESENT vote - Proposal FAILS

Proposal 1366 - Sun 20 Oct 7:14 CDT 1996
More Time for Campaigning
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes loses 7 points:                     38 -> 31

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 31
fnord                                            = 6
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 1
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 31

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                     Vulcan             3 -> 6
Malenkai                     FUN               26 -> 29
ThinMan                      Vulcan            -3 -> 0
breadbox

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
Mohammed

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:15:01 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1367 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1367: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
3 YES votes - 8 NO votes - 1 PRESENT vote - Proposal FAILS

Proposal 1367 - Mon 21 Oct 7:12 CDT 1996
Shortening the Shortness Bonus
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai loses 7 points:                     29 -> 22

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          38 -> 41
Malenkai                     FUN                 22 -> 25
snowgod                      (None Yet)           1 -> 3

NO Votes:
- --------
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
fnord                                            = 6
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 6
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = 0
breadbox                                         = 9
Habeous Corpus                                   = 14
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan              = 31
Mohammed                                         = -10

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:15:05 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1364 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1364: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 1 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1364 - Sun 20 Oct 7:06 CDT 1996
Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points:                     28 -> 38

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 38
fnord                                            = 6
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 1
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 26
(None Yet) Unity Vote
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              = 3
Habeous Corpus                                   = 11
Tammany  (A$5 Malenkai and A$10 snowgod)

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                      -13 -> -10
breadbox                                        6 -> 9
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan            26 -> 29

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     The Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication exists. It is
     housed in a cosy laboratory in the south part of Acka. When
     required by the rules, it will produce a replica of a player. Such
     a replica may only take actions explicitly allowed it by the
     rules, and is rather short-lived, being destroyed at the end of
     the occasion which warranted its creation. Unless specified
     otherwise, there is no charge for such replicas.

     The Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication also provides
     customized mutations, at a small fee, to any interested player. If
     in a public message a player announces he is paying the specified
     fee for a mutation described in this rule, the cost is deducted
     from his account, and he receives that mutation and any special
     attributes associated with it described in this rule. If he later
     wishes to have the mutation removed, he must pay a fee equal to
     that for receiving the mutation, and he shall cease to have both
     the mutation and any special attributes associated with it.

     Current available mutations:

     Extra head: Cost -- 50 A$. Each extra head possessed by a player
     allows him to wear one more piece of headwear than he would
     otherwise be allowed. This takes precedence over other mutable
     rules dealing with any form of headwear inasmuch as their
     restrictions on the number of pieces of headwear a player may wear
     are relaxed for those with extra heads. Players with extra heads
     are encouraged to occasionally get into public arguments amongst
     their heads.

     Pointy ears: Cost -- 4 A$ each, or 6 A$ for a pair. Pointy ears
     don't do much, but players who have them may threaten other
     players with a Vulcan Neck Pinch and be taken seriously. Players
     without pointy ears may also make this threat, but they are liable
     to be laughed at upon doing so. Players with only one pointy ear
     are liable to be laughed at regardless of their actions.

     Wings: Cost -- 100 A$. Winged players need not worry about
     dangling from the earth, as they can reattach the suction cups for
     any player that might lose them. Because of the size of buildings,
     it requires three winged players to reattach a building's suction
     cups, and after doing so, they must rest for three days before
     reattaching anything else. Since extra heads ruin a player's
     aerodynamics, a player may not have both wings and an extra head.

     Other mutations may be developed in the future, and if they are,
     they should be added to this rule.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:15:09 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1363 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1363: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
9 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 1 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1363 - Sun 20 Oct 7:04 CDT 1996
Public Apologies
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points:                     18 -> 28

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                       (None Yet)          = 3
ThinMan                      Vulcan              = -3
Guy Fawkes                   (None Yet)          = 18
fnord                                            = 6
Mohammed                                         = -13
snowgod                      (None Yet)          = 1
Malenkai                     FUN                 = 26
(None Yet) Unity Vote
breadbox                                         = 6

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                     Vulcan              0 -> 3
Habeous Corpus                                   8 -> 11
Niccolo Flychuck             Vulcan             23 -> 26

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Brinjal

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     {{[The idea here is to establish a harfier punishment for players
     whose only crime is being the victim of a hideous scam, like
     trying to copyright commonly used words. :) ]}}

     Insert the following immediately after Rule 710, section 5e)

     f) a PUBLIC APOLOGY of 1 or more lines by Player X

     ----

     Insert the following immediately after Rule 710, section 7c)

     7d) If the penalty includes a PUBLIC APOLOGY, Player X is required
     to post a public message of at least the court-required length
     apologizing for his criminal ways. This should be done within
     three days of the expiration of his grace period, and it should
     have "Acka: Public Apology" as its subject line. Failure to comply
     will result in the addition of three days to that player's Gaol
     sentence, if he is in Gaol, or the immediate transfer of that
     player to the Gaol for a three-day incarceration if he is not in
     Gaol. Self-abasement is especially encouraged in such a message.

     ----

     Insert the following into Rule 709, at the end of the list of
     actions explicitly permitted to players in the Gaol:

     8) A player in the Gaol may make a Public Apology.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #321
*******************************