Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #315
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, October 27 1996       Volume 01 : Number 315

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 00:03:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Effects of Whamiol scoring correction

Due to the change in the Whamiol's Blueprint, the following score changes
occurred which I failed to note.

Cycle 8:
Oct 18 11:08 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Oct 20 11:08 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Oct 22 11:08 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol

Cycle 9:
Oct 24 11:08 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Oct 24 23:33 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Oct 26 11:08 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol
Oct 26 23:33 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: anxious Whamiol

The cycle 8 changes result in his final score at the end of cycle 8 being
reduced to 149.  This means he got A$3 less at the end of that cycle.
These changes are all after the last bond cycle ended on October 14, so
no changes need to be made to bond payments.

This change did not prevent Habeous Corpus from losing the Great Trombone,
which happened on October 13 when his score was 155.

The changes in this cycle so far affect nothing other than his score, which
I have updated.

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 08:50:44 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC, thinking of algorithms

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > I'm not saying anything of the kind. There is one form of cost which you
> > all seem to be avoiding. The cost of personal maintenance. 
> 	I think I see.  However, even if it is the laws of supply and 
> demand that actually create the wealth here (the algorithm-thinker is 
> rarer and more in demand than the masochist), the fact remains that 
> wealth is created where there was a comparatively insignificant amount of 
> it before.

The maechanism of supply and demand does not create the wealth, it
provides a measure of control over the distribution of wealth. 
The fact that the algorithm thinker is rarer, allows em to shift more
wealth eir way. E is obviously a more valuable member of society,
therefore e requires more resources for eir maintenance, including the
maintenance of the skills involved, and people must pay more for whatever
e produces.

> 	The only way I can see out of the argument I just made is to say
> that no wealth is generated in either case; it is simply converted from
> one type to another.  In the algorithm-thinker's case, it is converted
> from time and money into algorithms (with the catalysts of shelter and
> peace).  In the masochist's case, it is converted from time into pain
> (with the catalyst of a hammer). 
> 	To that counter-argument I would reply that pain is a relatively
> worthless kind of wealth (to put it wryly).  A theory of economics based
> on the belief that pain is equal in worth to a new ideais, as far as I
> can see, hopelessly abstract.

I agree that no wealth is generated in either case. On the contrary, it is
used up. (take all your bills and divide them equally over the length of
time used to pay them, use whatever resolution you like - your wealth
constantly diminishes)
The difference is that the algorithm thinker can use eir algorithms to
replenish that wealth, and the masochist has created nothing that is of
any value to anyone but eirself, unless you consider certain fringe forms
of film making.

 > 
> 	To say that wealth is conserved is to use the word "wealth" in a
> way that doesn't match with it's normal English definition.
It isn't conserved, it diminishes.

> 	To me, it seems analogous to saying that energy is conserved to a
> runner who doesn't know Newtonian physics. 
Interesting that you should this analogy, for this is the analogy I was
thinking off when I suggested that cost be associated with creation of
entities in Ackanomic. I was making an analogy between A$ and energy. (it
isn't there now - I just though it would a good idea)

> 	Is "wealth", as used in economics, generally used to represent 
> the mere existence of a resource, regardless of how much humans in an 
> economy consider it to be worth? 

I can look it up, but if there is something which is worth nothing to
humans, then I don't think it can considered a resource. This has little
to do with my argument, I believe my reply above should clear this up.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:51:59 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1357 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1357: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 4 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P1357 was Modest.

Proposal 1357 - Sat 19 Oct 12:54 CDT 1996
Ammend R723
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Niccolo Flychuck gains 5 points:                18 -> 23

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                     (None Yet)             =   0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6
Brinjal                                           =   6

Habeous Corpus                                    =  12
fnord                                             =   0
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =  23
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
breadbox                                          =   3
Guy Fawkes                 (None Yet)             =   0
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed                                          = -12

NO Votes:
- --------
Malenkai                    FUN                   =   5
snowgod                    (None Yet)             =   2

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal

     In the first sentence replace "e's" with "eir"

     Delete the last sentence of R723

     {{[Now that Parties are defined as Organizations this sentence is
     no longer necessary]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:52:03 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1356 Passes 

[I failed to include in the previous voting results that mr cwm voted no on
P1352.  No scoring changes are needed]

Quorum achieved on P1356: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
6 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 4 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1356 - Sat 19 Oct 12:53 CDT 1996
Synod
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points:               8 -> 18

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                     (None Yet)             =   0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6
Brinjal                                           =   6

Habeous Corpus                                    =  12
fnord                                             =   0
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =  18

NO Votes:
- --------
Malenkai                    FUN                   =   5
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
snowgod
breadbox
Guy Fawkes

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Mohammed

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
     1. There exists an Institution called Synod
     {{There are no Seats in the Synod}}

     2. Each Church may have at most 1 seat in the Synod. No other
     entity but a Church may have a Seat in the Synod.

     3. The Synod is in session when there are three or more occupied
     Seats in the Synod.

     4. A Church which does not have a seat in the Synod can purchase a
     Seat for an Entry Fee of A$50 plus (A$5 multiplied by the maximum
     number of members of that Church had over the 14-day period
     preceding the date of purchase). If A Church withdraws from the
     Synod within 14 days, it is refunded the entire Entry Fee. If a
     Church withdraws at any time after that, it is refunded 3/5 of its
     Entry Fee.

     5.
     a.
     A Church which has a Seat in the Synod may appoint a Priest of
     that Church to occupy that Seat. The Priest is known as the Church
     Delegate, and the Seat is known by the name of the Church, or an
     abbreviation approved by the Church. A Delegate may resign at any
     time. If the Delegate goes on Vacation the Church may appoint
     another Priest of that Church as an acting-Delegate. If a Delegate
     resigns, The Church may appoint another Priest as Delegate. A
     Church may leave its Seat unoccupied. This section takes
     precedence over R457

     b.
     One of the Delegates is given the title of Yor-Delegate. The
     Yor-Delegate is always the Delegate of the largest Church in the
     Synod. If there are two or more Delegates who represent Churches
     of the same size, and there is no other Delegates who represents a
     larger Church then the Delegate who has been longer in the Synod,
     from among the Delegates of said Churches, shall be the
     Yor-Delegate. The Yor-Delegate has the duty of acting on behalf of
     the Synod, in accordance with the decisions of the Synod. The
     Yor-Delegate may have other duties defined by other sections of
     this rule, or by other rules. The Yor-Delegate has no privileges.

     c.
     When a Seat has been left unoccupied for a period of three weeks,
     it is the duty of the Yor-Delegate to contact the Founder of the
     Church that owns that Seat and inquire as to whether or not e
     intends to appoint a Delegate for that Seat. If the Founder either
     replies that e does not intend to appoint a Delegate, or does not
     appoint a Delegate within a week, or fails to respond withint a
     week, then that Church is considered to have withdrawn from the
     Synod. If a Church which owns a Seat is dissolved, then its Seat
     is destoryed.

     6. All actions carried out by the Synod must be approved by the
     Delegates. Each Delegate's vote is multiplied by the number of
     non-vacationing members of eir Church. When there more votes in
     favor of some action than against it the Synod is considered to
     support that action. Churches whose Seats are unoccupied during
     the vote are said to have abstained from the Vote.

     7. When the Synod is in session it can trade currency and assets.

     8. Profit Sharing Day - whenever the Synod has been in session for
     at least 14 consecutive days and there was no Profit Sharing Day
     for at least 14 consecutive days. A Church is eligible for getting
     a share of the profits if (a) it has a Delegate in the Synod and
     (b) it had a Delegate in the Suynod for at least 90% of the time
     during the 14 days previous to the Profit Sharing Day. {{[this
     does not exclude Churches who switched Delegates during that
     time]}}

     Profits are defined as (A$ currently owned by the Church minus (A$
     owned by the Church after the previous profit distribution, or on
     the most recent date the Synod was not in Session, which was more
     recent)) Let TotalMem be the total number of members of all
     Churches. for each Church let NoM be the number of members of that
     Church. Each Church receives (NoM*2)/(TotalMem*5), rounded down to
     the nearest integer. For the purpose of Profit Sharing Day,
     vacationing members are counted as well. It is the duty of the
     Yor-Delegate to track and declare Profit Sharing days, calculate
     the amount of A$ each Church receive, report it to the Financier,
     and record the amound of A$ at the end of the Profit Sharing day.
     {{[40% of the profits are divided among the Churches, by size]}}

     9. When the Synod is not in Session it is impermissible for the
     Synod to trade, distribute profits to member Churches, or take any
     other action, except for the duty of contacting Founders of
     Churches with unoccupied Seats, as described in section 5 of this
     rule. This section takes precedence over any other section of this
     rule and takes precedence over any rule which would allow the
     Synod to take any action when it is not in Session.

     10. a. A Church is not eligible for a Seat in the Synod if there
     is at least one Church which already owns a Seat in the Syond
     whose M Similarity with the former Church is equal to or greater
     than 30.
     b. A Church is not eligible for a Seat in the Synod if the total M
     Similarities with all the Churches which are members of the Synod
     is equal to or greater than 80.

     {{The Synod receives A$400 from the Treasury}}

     ------------------------------------------------

     Append the following text to R775:
     "
     10. A Church may own and trade currency and assets. If Church
     policy is silent about the managing the Church's Currency and
     Assets, then the Church Founder manages the Church's Currency and
     Assets.
     "

     ----------------
     Append the followign text to R721
     "
     3.
     a The Size of an Organization is defined as the number of members
     of that Organization.

     b. If a given Organization x, has more members than given
     Organization y, then Organization x is said to be larger than
     Organization y. If two Organiztions have the same number of
     members, then they are of equal size.

     c. The Active Size of an Organization is defined as the number of
     non-vactioning members of that Organization.
     "

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:52:08 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1359 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1359: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
14 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P13597 was Modest.

Proposal 1359 - Sat 19 Oct 12:56 CDT 1996
Reducing Nit-picking
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:                         5 -> 10

YES Votes:
- ---------
mr cwm                     (None Yet)             =   0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6
Brinjal                                           =   6

Habeous Corpus                                    =  12
fnord                                             =   0
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =  23
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
breadbox                                          =   3
Guy Fawkes                 (None Yet)             =   0
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed                                          = -12
Malenkai                    FUN                   =   10
snowgod                    (None Yet)             =   2
(None Yet) Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend R 451 to append the following at the end of the rule:

     If there is a typographical error in any number in any Ackanomic
     document, and the intended number can be determined beyond
     reasonable doubt, then the mis-typed number shall be treated as if
     it were typed as intended, and be considered a misspelled word
     with respect to Rule 1022 (with the correct spelling being the
     intended number).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:52:12 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1360 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1360: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 3 NO votes - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Proposal 1360 - Sat 19 Oct 12:59 CDT 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece HarfyBlob
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 10 points:                        10 -> 20

YES Votes:
- ---------
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6

Habeous Corpus                                    =  12
fnord                                             =   0
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =  23
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
breadbox                                          =   3
Vulcan Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   =   10
snowgod                    (None Yet)             =   2

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                         -12 -> -9
Guy Fawkes                 (None Yet)              0 -> 3
Brinjal                                            6 -> 9

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
mr cwm
breadbox

- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Create a new rule called "Creation of a PartyChessPiece HarfyBlob"
     to be a member of the Party Chess Rule Suite, reading:

     "
     1. A HarfyBlob is represented by the ASCII character H.
     2. A HarfyBlob can move either vertically, horizontally, or
     diagonally, up to a maximum distance of Hn, where Hn is defined
     below, provided all the squares between the current square and the
     destination square are unoccupied.
     3. A HarfyBlob's material value is 7.

     Each extant HarfyBlob has its own value of Hn. It is a duty of the
     Chess-Umpire to track the value of Hn for each extant HarfyBlob.

     When a HarfyBlob is first created, its Hn value is 1.

     Each time a HarfyBlob captures an enemy piece, its Hn value is
     increased by 1, unless the captured piece is also a HarfyBlob, in
     which case its Hn is increased by the Hn of the captured
     HarfyBlob.

     Should a HarfyBlob's Hn ever exceed the maximum number of squares
     on the Party Board in any direction, its Hn is reduced to that
     maximum less 1. "

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:52:16 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1361 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1361
16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 5 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

     Proposal 1361 - Sat 19 Oct 13:00 CDT 1996
     Banana Tree Transfer
     snowgod (Phil Ackley)

snowgod loses 7 points:                        2 -> -5

YES Votes:
- ---------
Brinjal                                           =   9

Habeous Corpus                                    =  12
fnord                                             =   0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
breadbox                                          =   3
mr cwm                     (None Yet)             =   0
snowgod                    (None Yet)             =   2
Tammany (A$10 snowgod)

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                -6 -> -3
Mohammed                                          -9 -> -6
Guy Fawkes                 (None Yet)              3 ->  6
Malenkai                    FUN                   10 -> 13
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                23 -> 26

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:52:19 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Proposal: HEY OVER HERE DID THIS GET YOUR ATTENTION? 

Proposal
The Old Lightbulb Bit
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

No more than once every three months the officer in charge of random things
may announce that a lightbuld has gone out in one of Ackanomic's public
building.  This of course leads to great consternation, and the inevitable
question: How many Ackanomians does it take to change a light bulb?

It is the duty of the senate to answer this question.  Upon the
announcement of a light bulb going out, the senate shall hold a meeting for
the purposes of determining exactly what should be done to remedy the
situation.

There are three options:

1) Recomending that one or more players are hired to fix the light bulb.
2) Bringing in outside help (in the form of the Frobozz Magic Maintenance
Company, Ackanomic Division).
3) Hhaving one of the senators attempt to change the lightbulb himself.

The senate has seven days to issue a report stating their recomendations
for lightbuld repair, or they shall be held In Contempt.  After the
Senate's seven day decision period has expired (and the senate has
hopefully issued a report) a public hearing will then be held, lasting
three days.  Players may send their votes to Count Tabula indicating which
of the three options they prefer.  When the hearing has finished, whichever
option recieves the most votes shall be excecuted.  In the event of a tie,
the recomendation of the senate report shall be followed unless no senate
report was issued, a random determination shall be made.

Billing and Actions:

If one or more players are hired to fix the lightbulb, each one shall be
paid A$25 after he has posted an interesting description of the lightbulb
changing and his role in the event.

If the Frobozz Magic Maintenance Company, Ackanomic Division, is called
upon to do the job they shall recieve A$5 from every active players for
services rendered.  Players may exempt themselves from payment by
contibuting an article to a newspaper (assuming it is accepted by the
publisher) describing the event, and the waste of hard-earned dollars.

If a senator is chosen to do the job, he shall recieve nothing more than a
heartfelt round of applause for a job well done.  However, there is always
25 percent chance that he shall fall of the ladder and the job will not be
completed.  If that is determined to have happened (using the dice server,
if one is recognized by ackanomic) the the Frobozz folks will be called in
after all - and be paid A$10 per active player, due to the rush nature of
the job

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 01:58:37 -0900 (AKST)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal: HEY OVER HERE DID THIS GET YOUR ATTENTION?

Damn!

I think I need to seriously re-evaluate my private mail sending
techniques.  Perhaps I shall bring in an outside consultant to tell me
what i keep doing wrong :)

I can see it now "Mr Ackley, You are not paying enough attention while
replying to messages.  See that bit about 'use reply-to-adress instead of
sender's adress?  Type No!  That'll be A$250 dollars."

In any event, this was supposed to go to Guy Fawkes, I hope he will now
promote it, even though i have sent it to the list for all to see :)

snowgod
obviously has a privacy leak

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> Proposal
> The Old Lightbulb Bit
> snowgod (Phil Ackley)
> 
> No more than once every three months the officer in charge of random things
> may announce that a lightbuld has gone out in one of Ackanomic's public
> building.  This of course leads to great consternation, and the inevitable
> question: How many Ackanomians does it take to change a light bulb?
> 
> It is the duty of the senate to answer this question.  Upon the
> announcement of a light bulb going out, the senate shall hold a meeting for
> the purposes of determining exactly what should be done to remedy the
> situation.
> 
> There are three options:
> 
> 1) Recomending that one or more players are hired to fix the light bulb.
> 2) Bringing in outside help (in the form of the Frobozz Magic Maintenance
> Company, Ackanomic Division).
> 3) Hhaving one of the senators attempt to change the lightbulb himself.
> 
> The senate has seven days to issue a report stating their recomendations
> for lightbuld repair, or they shall be held In Contempt.  After the
> Senate's seven day decision period has expired (and the senate has
> hopefully issued a report) a public hearing will then be held, lasting
> three days.  Players may send their votes to Count Tabula indicating which
> of the three options they prefer.  When the hearing has finished, whichever
> option recieves the most votes shall be excecuted.  In the event of a tie,
> the recomendation of the senate report shall be followed unless no senate
> report was issued, a random determination shall be made.
> 
> Billing and Actions:
> 
> If one or more players are hired to fix the lightbulb, each one shall be
> paid A$25 after he has posted an interesting description of the lightbulb
> changing and his role in the event.
> 
> If the Frobozz Magic Maintenance Company, Ackanomic Division, is called
> upon to do the job they shall recieve A$5 from every active players for
> services rendered.  Players may exempt themselves from payment by
> contibuting an article to a newspaper (assuming it is accepted by the
> publisher) describing the event, and the waste of hard-earned dollars.
> 
> If a senator is chosen to do the job, he shall recieve nothing more than a
> heartfelt round of applause for a job well done.  However, there is always
> 25 percent chance that he shall fall of the ladder and the job will not be
> completed.  If that is determined to have happened (using the dice server,
> if one is recognized by ackanomic) the the Frobozz folks will be called in
> after all - and be paid A$10 per active player, due to the rush nature of
> the job
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:28:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1356 Passes

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> 
> Quorum achieved on P1356: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
> 6 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 4 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
> 
> Proposal 1356 - Sat 19 Oct 12:53 CDT 1996
> Synod
> Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)
> 

At this time there is only one Church, so even if it were to buy into the
Synod, it would not be in session.  I believe that the passage of this
rule should provide some incentive to form more Churches.  Perhaps all
would be Church Founders would like to anounce their intentions on this
matter.

I don't know about the early days of Acka, but since I joined, which was
around March, this is probably the proposal that passed on the lowest
number of votes, or at least very close.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 07:23:13 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Sunday, the 27th day of October, in the Year of Our Lord
1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 9 times.

Guy Fawkes
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 08:31:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: G&C Proposal 103

G&C Proposal 103
Ghost
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

1. Equipment: none

2. Players: minimum -- 2; maximum -- the number of active players when an 
instance of Ghost is initiated; Referees -- one

3. Beginning of game
An instance of ghost begins upon the referee sending the GamesMaster a 
message expressing the intent to start a game of Ghost and listing the 
players who will begin the game, and the GamesMaster publically 
announcing the start of the game or as directed by other rules.

4. Rules
The referee shall randomly assign each player a different integer ranging from 
1 to N, where N is the number of players in the game.  Player 1 shall play 
first, and after that, play shall proceed in order of increasing number.  
Player 1 plays again just after the turn of the player with the highest number.  
Each player's turn shall last the lesser of three days or until that player 
plays.

In his turn, each player shall do one of the following: (1) begin a new 
ghost word; (2) continue an existing ghost word; (3) resign.  Plays shall 
be made by sending a message describing the play to all players and the 
referee.

A player may only begin a new ghost word where there is no existing ghost 
word, or when the previous player resigned.  He shall do so by naming any 
letter of the alphabet.  Upon this action, any previously existing ghost 
word is destroyed, being replaced by this letter.

A player may continue an existing ghost word only when there is an 
existing ghost word.  He shall do so by posting a string of letters 
identical to the existing ghost word except for the addition of one 
letter at either the beginning or the end of the ghost word.  This string 
then becomes the new ghost word.

A player who resigns is removed from the game.  A player who does not 
make a move within his turn is assumed to have resigned.

A player may remove themselves from an instance of the game at any time by 
posting a message to that effect.  If it was their turn, they are assumed 
to have resigned.  If they leave Ackanomic, they are assumed to have 
posted such a message.

Any player may protest the ghost word if it (1) has at any point in the 
last three days been a word in the official dictionary; (2) cannot be 
found within any word in the official dictionary.  ("upsero" can be 
found within "supersonic"; "spronc" cannot).  Upon a protest, play is 
suspended until the protest is resolved (i.e. during this time, no plays 
may be made, and the three-day limit for playing is not in effect.)  A 
player shall make the first sort of protest by defining the word.  After 
the second sort of protest, the most recent player to play has three days 
to supply a word containing the ghost word.  With either sort of protest, 
the referee shall then rule on the protest's validity.

If the referee finds the protest invalid, the protesting player shall 
removed from the game (if it was his turn, he shall be assumed to have 
resigned), and play shall resume where it was suspended.

If the referee finds first sort of protest valid, the player who named 
the protested string of letters as the ghost word shall be removed from 
the game, the ghost word is destroyed, and play shall resume with the 
player who made the valid protest.

If exactly one player remains in the game, that player wins.  There are 
no other winning conditions.

When a winner is found, the referee shall receive 8 A$.  If this game 
took place as a Duel, the winner shall receive no additional 
compensation.  If it was not a Duel and fewer than four players began the 
game, the winner receives four points.  If from four to eight players 
began the game, the winner receives points equal to the number of players 
that began the game.  If more than eight players began the game, the 
winner receives 8 points. 

Upon request, the referee must provide the following information: the 
players in the game and their order of play, whose turn it is, the 
current ghost word, and a history of the game in progress.  He may, but 
is not required to, keep a web page with this information.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 18:13:54 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: G&C Proposal 103

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> G&C Proposal 103
> Ghost
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 

Sine it was posted to the public forum, I received. Consider please
consider G & C proposal 103 to have been distributed by me. If someone
wants to nitpick, I can just resend it to the list.

Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:51:38 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: G&C Proposal 103

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> G&C Proposal 103
> Ghost
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Couple of things:

1) You need a clause that says something like:

"players are not permitted to consult a dictionary of similar resource
with the intent to aid them in the game whilst playing".  I was going
to propose ghost also, but could not come up with something better
than the previous, which seems adequate.

2) Its not clear whether the referee is also a player.  If not, maximum
should be players - 1

3) Protocol indicates that thise be submitted to the gamesmaster, who
numbers it and distributes it, similar to proposals and CFJs

I will endorse it if the above is fixed.

Malenkai
picky

> 1. Equipment: none
> 
> 2. Players: minimum -- 2; maximum -- the number of active players when an
> instance of Ghost is initiated; Referees -- one
> 
> 3. Beginning of game
> An instance of ghost begins upon the referee sending the GamesMaster a
> message expressing the intent to start a game of Ghost and listing the
> players who will begin the game, and the GamesMaster publically
> announcing the start of the game or as directed by other rules.
> 
> 4. Rules
> The referee shall randomly assign each player a different integer ranging from
> 1 to N, where N is the number of players in the game.  Player 1 shall play
> first, and after that, play shall proceed in order of increasing number.
> Player 1 plays again just after the turn of the player with the highest number.
> Each player's turn shall last the lesser of three days or until that player
> plays.
> 
> In his turn, each player shall do one of the following: (1) begin a new
> ghost word; (2) continue an existing ghost word; (3) resign.  Plays shall
> be made by sending a message describing the play to all players and the
> referee.
> 
> A player may only begin a new ghost word where there is no existing ghost
> word, or when the previous player resigned.  He shall do so by naming any
> letter of the alphabet.  Upon this action, any previously existing ghost
> word is destroyed, being replaced by this letter.
> 
> A player may continue an existing ghost word only when there is an
> existing ghost word.  He shall do so by posting a string of letters
> identical to the existing ghost word except for the addition of one
> letter at either the beginning or the end of the ghost word.  This string
> then becomes the new ghost word.
> 
> A player who resigns is removed from the game.  A player who does not
> make a move within his turn is assumed to have resigned.
> 
> A player may remove themselves from an instance of the game at any time by
> posting a message to that effect.  If it was their turn, they are assumed
> to have resigned.  If they leave Ackanomic, they are assumed to have
> posted such a message.
> 
> Any player may protest the ghost word if it (1) has at any point in the
> last three days been a word in the official dictionary; (2) cannot be
> found within any word in the official dictionary.  ("upsero" can be
> found within "supersonic"; "spronc" cannot).  Upon a protest, play is
> suspended until the protest is resolved (i.e. during this time, no plays
> may be made, and the three-day limit for playing is not in effect.)  A
> player shall make the first sort of protest by defining the word.  After
> the second sort of protest, the most recent player to play has three days
> to supply a word containing the ghost word.  With either sort of protest,
> the referee shall then rule on the protest's validity.
> 
> If the referee finds the protest invalid, the protesting player shall
> removed from the game (if it was his turn, he shall be assumed to have
> resigned), and play shall resume where it was suspended.
> 
> If the referee finds first sort of protest valid, the player who named
> the protested string of letters as the ghost word shall be removed from
> the game, the ghost word is destroyed, and play shall resume with the
> player who made the valid protest.
> 
> If exactly one player remains in the game, that player wins.  There are
> no other winning conditions.
> 
> When a winner is found, the referee shall receive 8 A$.  If this game
> took place as a Duel, the winner shall receive no additional
> compensation.  If it was not a Duel and fewer than four players began the
> game, the winner receives four points.  If from four to eight players
> began the game, the winner receives points equal to the number of players
> that began the game.  If more than eight players began the game, the
> winner receives 8 points.
> 
> Upon request, the referee must provide the following information: the
> players in the game and their order of play, whose turn it is, the
> current ghost word, and a history of the game in progress.  He may, but
> is not required to, keep a web page with this information.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:25:53 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: G&C Proposal 103

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> >
> > G&C Proposal 103
> > Ghost
> > Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> >
> 
> Sine it was posted to the public forum, I received. Consider please
> consider G & C proposal 103 to have been distributed by me. If someone
> wants to nitpick, I can just resend it to the list.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> GamesMaster

I will endorse the current version.  The problems I pointed out
previously don't bother me enough, although it would be nice if
we could retract these things like proposals.

need 4.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:31:33 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Time Check

Daylight Savings Time ended in the United States last night.  Some players
may need to reset their computer's clock's time.  snowgod needs to do so;
the headers on his messages indicate that the Date line is an hour off.

/dev/joe
Timekeeper :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:21:14 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Brinjal)

Habeous Corpus did not report what Phoebe said.  Her matchbox has
been found by Brinjal.

Oct 27 11:22 EST: -3 Habeous Corpus: did not report what Phoebe said

Malenakai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:33:55 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Time Check

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> /dev/joe
> Timekeeper :-)

Being the curious type, I would like to have everyone's time zone on
/dev/joe's Time Zone page, and am curious what state or country people
are in (which is also on that page).

So if you don't mind...

Malenkai
naturally curious

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 18:40:01 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Time Check

There is this really small windows program called Tardis which
synchronized the computer clock to a time server, preferably your ISP's.
except for weird daylight savings effects, it seems to work fine.
Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Daylight Savings Time ended in the United States last night.  Some players
> may need to reset their computer's clock's time.  snowgod needs to do so;
> the headers on his messages indicate that the Date line is an hour off.
> 
> /dev/joe
> Timekeeper :-)
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:41:57 -0600 (CST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Time Check

I am in Illinois, operating at Central Standard Time.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:45:33 -0600
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Time Check 

At 10:41 AM 27-10-96 -0600, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>
>I am in Illinois, operating at Central Standard Time.

Austin, Texas. CST

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 12:17:04 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 313 (Bascule)

Bascule again has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 313
  Subject: English vs Acka-English
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Bascule (selected Oct 27, 1996, 12:18h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Using a particular word or phrase in a Rule, Proposal, Newspaper, 
public post, or other Acka-document that happens to have identical
spelling to the name of an Acka-entity does not necessarily constitute
a reference to that Acka-entity, or a quoting of the name of that
Acka-entity.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Tiring of the "is" newspaper business, and similar situations that
may arise in the future, I wish this settled once and for all, if
possible :).

It seems that a verdict of TRUE is obvious, based on common English
usage.

What if I said, "In accordance with R 115 I am buying some bread from
the Baker and putting it in my breadbox for safekeeping".

I claim under the conventions of the English language, the usage of
the word "breadbox" refers to no player.  In fact, one is a common
noun, and one is a proper noun.  Also, I am not quoting breadbox, the
player here.

Similarily, what if a player named "wrote" joined the game.  If I said
"I wrote CFJ 313", am I referring to the Acka-entity "wrote".  No way,
different part of speech in this case.

Also, if a newspaper publishes a statement such as "the earth is round",
the usage of the verb "is" does not constitute a reference or a quote
of any Acka-entity named "is".  It cannot, they are different parts of
speech!

This occurs in English (and probably other languages, except possibly
Greenlandic Inuit, which is really bizzare ;) all the time.  If
I say, "a library is a place to get books", am I referring to
*the library"?

A verdict of TRUE is indicated.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #315
*******************************