Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #313
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, October 26 1996      Volume 01 : Number 313

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC, especially not this

> > One example is software.  In real life, I am paid money to discover
> > software algorithms.  It cost me nothing to discover these, yet in
> > their discovery, wealth is created.  I just sit on my couch and they
> > come to me.  That is what *work* is.
> 
> In real life, I am paid way too much money to do similar things.

As am I. Have either of your (or anyone else) ever been reminded of
Erdos' statement (paraphrase): "I am a machine for turning coffee into
mathematical theorems."?

While sometimes I feel like a machine for turning coffee into
algorithms, more often I cast a cynical eye at my lack of free time
and decide that I am really just a machine for turning time into
money.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:15:58 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> 
> On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, IdiotBoy wrote:
> 
> > Problematic, schroblematic.  I gues we have to disagree on the term
> > "wealth."  Given that the total amount of rescources (I would include
> > intellectual property in this, tho I may be wrong) has not increased in the
> > history of humanity, I believe that wealth is constant, although human
> > ownership of wealth may be increasing.
> 
> You confuse resources with wealth.  Even if resources are constant (and I 
> think thermodynamics will disagree with you on that), wealth depends not 
> only on the presence of resources, but upon their arrangement.  A small 
> quantity of titanium aluminum nitrite (that gold colored coating you see 
> on some drill bits) is worth less than a dollar.  If plated onto an 
> industrialgear cutter's bit (easily worth over $1000), it extends its 
> life by up to ten times.  The resource is unchanged.  Repositioning it 
> increases its value several thousand fold.  

In order to make that change some energy has to be invested, so the change
is certainly not free.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:18:44 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Update

The current, and I expect final, bid for the lot of 8 prosthetic foreheads
is A$216, bid by mr cwm.  A close second is Guy Fawkes, who bid A$212.  I
will release the real, actual, official, final results in 3 hours when the
auction is well and truly over.

snowgod
getting rich on foreheads

- -----------------------------------------
Ask snowgod how to turn a A$48 investment
into A$216! Discover the power of Harf!
- -----------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:26:50 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC, especially not this

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > > One example is software.  In real life, I am paid money to discover
> > > software algorithms.  It cost me nothing to discover these, yet in
> > > their discovery, wealth is created.  I just sit on my couch and they
> > > come to me.  That is what *work*is.
> > 
> > In real life, I am paid way too much money to do similar things.
> 
> As am I. Have either of your (or anyone else) ever been reminded of
> Erdos' statement (paraphrase): "I am a machine for turning coffee into
> mathematical theorems."?
> 
> While sometimes I feel like a machine for turning coffee into
> algorithms, more often I cast a cynical eye at my lack of free time
> and decide that I am really just a machine for turning time into
> money.
> 
> breadbox
> 
> 
All of three of the above quotes, or four, if consider Erdos as well, are
merely symptoms of the wage slavery system. Once the concept that the
majority, who lack resources, must hire themselves out in order to fill
that lack, any action we can perform, including thinking up
algorithms, tends to be interpreted in terms of tradeable currency.
Thinking up algorithms is not creating wealth, it's just another way of
shifting it around. 

Niccolo Flychuck

Has any of you ever told your wage generators that you are being paid way
too much?  You could make a real contribution to the economy:)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:13:44 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Results

The Auction for the lot of 8 origianal snowgod for president campaign
foreheads has well and truly ended now and mr cwm is the proud owner of
the eight unclaimed campaign foreheads.  He bid A$216 - Would the
financier and the speaker please note this transaction?

snowgod
working desperately on a voting bot

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:45:38 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1352 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1352: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
5 YES votes - 8 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

   Proposal 1352 - Fri 18 Oct 8:40 CDT 1996
   Social Mixers
   snowgod (Phil Ackley)

snowgod loses 7 points:                          6 -> -1

YES Votes:
- ---------
breadbox                                          0 -> 3
snowgod                     (None Yet)           -1 -> 2
Brinjal                                           3 -> 6

Tammany (A$10 snowgod)
Habeous Corpus                                    9 -> 12

NO Votes:
- --------
fnord                                             =   0
Malenkai                    FUN                   =   5
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            =   0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =   8
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed                                          = -12

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:46:14 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1350 Fails 

Quorum achieved on P1350: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
5 YES votes - 7 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal FAILS

   Proposal 1350 - Fri 18 Oct 8:37 CDT 1996
   Intercarinary Meilinosis
   snowgod (Phil Ackley)

snowgod loses 7 points:                         10 -> 3

YES Votes:
- ---------
Malenkai                    FUN                   5 -> 8
snowgod                     (None Yet)            3 -> 6
Brinjal                                           0 -> 3

Tammany (A$10 snowgod)
Habeous Corpus                                    6 -> 9

NO Votes:
- --------
fnord                                             =   0
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            =   0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                =  -6
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                =   8
Vulcan Unity Vote
Mohammed                                          = -12

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:46:52 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1349 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1348: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 5 NO vote - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1349 - Fri 18 Oct 8:36 CDT 1996
   Rama-lama-ding-dong
   snowgod (Phil Ackley)

snowgod gains 10 points:                        0 -> 10

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 10
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -35
fnord                                             = 0
Brinjal                                           = 0

Tammany (A$10 snowgod)

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                    Vulcan             -9 ->  -6
ThinMan                     Vulcan            -15 -> -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan              5 ->   8
Mohammed                                      -15 -> -12

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
Habeous Corpus
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Deep In the rain forest it was doing what it usually does in rain
     forests, which was raining: hence the name. This rain will cause a
     horrible flood to sweep through ackanomic destroying all of the
     suction cups that keep us attached to the bottom of the earth is
     something is not done. Therefore, on the first of each month every
     non-vacationing priest must post a prayer of deliverance to the
     public forum. This prayer must contain at lest 3 words with 6
     sylables, and one line of text that is "spoken in tounges".

     If exactly one priest fails to comply with this rule his house shall
     lose it's suction cups and dangle from the bottom of the earth. If
     two priest fail to comply, 5 buildings chosen at random will lose
     their suctions cups. If more than two priest fail to comply, the
     floods shall destroy all of the suction cups in ackanomic, causing
     everything to dangle.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:47:23 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1345 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1345: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
13 YES votes - 1 NO votes - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P1345 was Modest

   Proposal 1345 - Fri 18 Oct 8:27 CDT 1996
   Reuse and Closet Cleaning
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:                      -30 -> -25

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
breadbox                                          = 0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0
Vulcan Unity Vote
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -25
Habeous Corpus                                    = 6
fnord                                             = 0
Mohammed                                          = -15

NO Votes:
- --------
Brinjal                                           = 0

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend R 1298 in the following ways in the order specified:

     1) replace all occurrances of the word "senator" with the word
     "Officer".

     2) replace all occurrance of the word "A" or "a" before the word
     "Officer" with the word "An" or "an", respectively.

     -------------------------------------------------------------------

     Amend R 1314 to read:

     {{[as it stands now, these entities appear to be tradeable, given a
     construction that gives "operational rule words" such as "tradeable"
     some sort of higher status than regular english words. Game custom
     is unclear on this, IMO, but I'm in here anyway, so I might as well
     fix it.

     The actual change is based on the fact that the badges should not be
     garments. I would like to wear all of them at once.]}}

     The types of entities called Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory
     are defined by the rules. Both are Protected; Champion's Cloaks are
     non-Tradeable Garments. Neither may be created or destroyed except
     as specified in the rules.

     A Champion's Cloak is a regal garment of the color(s) and design of
     its owner's choice, while Badges of Glory are elaborate medals of
     various designs. (It is customary, though not required, for the
     owner of either of these entities to describe it within 3 days of
     acquiring it.)

     A player may request to be called, "Exalted One," or the honorific
     of his choice while he wears any of these objects. It is not
     necessary to honor such requests.

     {{[this clause is also unnecessary, as items are non-mimsy by
     default.

     When a player leaves the game, his Undead, should such a thing
     exist, shall haunt any Champion's Cloak or Badge of Glory that he
     owned.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:47:54 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1346 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1346: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
14 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1346 - Fri 18 Oct 8:28 CDT 1996
   Unwrangling Grab-a-Donkey
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 10 points:                      -25 -> -15

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
Tammany (A$5 Malenkai)
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0
Vulcan Unity Vote
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -15
Habeous Corpus                                    = 6
fnord                                             = 0
Mohammed                                          = -15
Brinjal                                           = 0

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
breadbox

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
     Create a new rule called "Unwrangling Grab-a-Donkey" with the
     following text:

     "
     {{Renumber this rule to 1275}}

     {{This rule takes precedence over rule 1276.

     Amend Rule 1276 to read:

     Create a game known as Grab-a-Donkey. The game consists of a
     moderator, known as the Wrangler and players, who initially comprise
     all current active Players of Ackanomic, not including the Player
     designated as the Wrangler, those on Vacation, in Gaol, or otherwise
     prohibited from performing Ackanomic actions. Each player in
     Grab-a-Donkey starts off with one (1) donkey.

     The following special equipment is required to play Grab-a-Donkey.
     The equipment will be issued from the Game Box at the start of play,
     and all equipment will automatically be returned to the Game Box at
     the end of the game. One (1) donkey per player
     One lariat per player (used to Grab other donkeys)
     One (1) blanket (used to Cover the player's own donkey) The Wrangler
     may call for a Grab-a-Donkey game at any time, as long as no
     Grab-a-Donkey game is currently being played. If no Wrangler exists,
     the first player to claim to be Wrangler may call for a game of
     Grab-a-Donkey in accordance with the previous sentence. A game of
     Grab-a-Donkey may only be called once per calendar month, however.

     The rules of Grab-a-Donkey are as follows:

     A. When a new game of Grab-a-Donkey starts, all Players of
     Ackanomic, excluding the Wrangler, those exempted as noted above, or
     those who publically decline participation, will be placed on the
     Grab-a-Donkey Active List ("GAL" hereafter).

     B. Each Round, a player on the GAL will either
     (a) Cover their donkey,
     (b) Grab another player's donkey on the GAL,
     (c) Stand Around Admiring their Donkey,
     (d) Resign (this action is only permissible in the first round)

     Unless a player specifies a different choice to the Wrangler in a
     private message by the end of the Round, the player will Stand
     Around Admiring their Donkey. Rounds will last no less than one full
     day and no more than 3 full days from the start of the round.
     Players may change their action at any time before the end of the
     Round.

     Upon a player resigning, or leaving the game of Ackanomic, their
     stated actions that round are disregarded, and they are removed from
     the GAL at the start of the next round. They are considered to have
     Covered their Donkey for determining the outcome of the current
     round.

     C. If exactly one player ("A") chose to Grab another player's donkey
     ("B"), and if B did not Cover their donkey, then B will lose their
     donkey and be removed from the GAL at the start of the following
     Round. "A" is said to have successfully grabbed "B"'s donkey. If
     more than one player attempted to grab "B"'s donkey, none of those
     attempts is successful.

     D. If only one player on the GAL did not choose to Cover their
     donkey, then all other players will be removed from the GAL at the
     start of the following Round.

     E. At the end of the Round, the Wrangler will publicly report what
     each player on the GAL did, and determine the results.

     F. If and when there are exactly zero players left on the GAL, that
     game of Grab-a-Donkey shall end. The current Wrangler shall lose
     their title at that time.

     G. If and when there is exactly one player left on the GAL, that
     game of Grab-a-Donkey shall end. That player shall be considered to
     be the Belt Holder of that game of Grab-a-Donkey (and shall also
     have the title of Wrangler). The Belt Holder shall be awarded 3
     Points plus the number of donkeys he successfully grabbed that
     round.
     He shall also have the right to Propose exactly one (1) amendment to
     this rule that changes the way the game of Grab-a-Donkey is played.
     No player other than the Belt Holder should submit such proposals,
     and other players are permitted to sneer at such attempts (and vote
     them down). An exception to this is maintainence proposals, or
     proposals whose rule changes would fix bugs or paradoxes, are
     permitted by anyone.

     $$the clause enclosed in double-dollar signs shall be known as "This
     Clause". Immediately upon a game state in Acka occurring in which a
     game of Grab-a-Donkey is not being played, the player known as
     Malenkai when the proposal that created This Clause was distributed
     shall lose the title of Wrangler, if he has it. Then (whether or not
     Malenkai lost the title of Wrangler per above), This Clause shall be
     removed from this rule. [I don't need to be wrangler again if the
     current game ends in a draw.]$$

     }}
     "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:48:22 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1347 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1347: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 1 NO vote - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1347 - Fri 18 Oct 8:32 CDT 1996
   Deciphering Duels
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 5 points:                      -15 -> -10

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                = -12
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -10
fnord                                             = 0
Mohammed                                          = -15
Brinjal                                           = 0

NO Votes:
- --------
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
breadbox
Habeous Corpus

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------
     This is a Modest proposal.

     {{[the following rewrite will make my job easier, and hopefully make
     the rules easier to read :)]}}

     Amend R 1302 to read:

     1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in
     a heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player
     to a duel, subject to the limitations described below.

     2. The procedure for challenging and conducting a duel is as
     follows:

     The Challenging player finds another player who agrees to be their
     Second. The Challenger gives their Second the name of the player he
     wishes to Challenge, and the reason for the Challenge.

     The Second posts a public message, which anounces the name of the
     Challenging player, the name of the Challenged player, the reason
     for the Challenge, and the fact that a Challenge has been made.

     The Challenged player has 3 days to find a player who agrees to be
     their Second and have the Second respond to the message publically.
     The message must contain the following information: The Challenge it
     is a reply to, and a Game or Contest chosen by the Challenged player
     for the Duel, or an explicit waiver of the privilege of choosing the
     Game or Contest. If there is no response to the Challenge within the
     3 days, or the Challenged player declines the Challenge, or the
     response does not confrom to the rules preceeding, then he is
     considered to have forefeit the Duel.

     The Game or Contest (hereafter called Contest) chosen for the Duel
     must be one accepted for listing (or listed) on the Games & Contests
     web page. Moreover, it must be playable by exactly two players and
     have definitive rules for determining a winner.

     If the Challenged player waived the privilege of choosing a Contest,
     the Challenging player may choose a Contest.

     The duel starts upon the Challenged Player posting his acceptance of
     the Duel. [The President, or any other Political Officer, may
     annouce the start of the duel, if they wish.]

     When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in
     addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of
     the Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition
     to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
     Contest itself. The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's
     Second loses 3 points.

     The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over
     Ackanomic. However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have
     committed themselves in a public message to a certain action
     depending on the results of the Duel, then they must perform that
     action if the rules permit performance of the action. Should they
     fail to perform that action, they are breaking the rules.

     3. Whenever a duel is forfeited, the Challenged player loses 6
     points, and the Challenging player gains 6 points. The Seconds
     scores are not changed in this case.

     4. Conditions under which a duel may not be called, or unusual
     forfeit and cancellation conditions:

     a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel.

     b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player who
     has been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until
     the Duel procedures are resolved.

     c. A Player who was a Challengee in a Duel, that is, was Challenged
     to a Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until the end of
     the Calendar month in which the duel ended.

     d. Players on Vacation or in Gaol are Untouchable.

     e. A Player who anounces that he will be going on Vacation on a
     specific future date is Untouchable until they return from that
     vacation, or for three days if they do not go on that vacation
     within 3 days.

     f. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures goes on
     Vacation or to Gaol he forfeits the duel.

     g. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player
     running for the same Office to a duel.

     h. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to a
     Challenge, is Untouchable until 3 days after the date he has
     declined, or until 3 days after he is considered to have forfeit the
     duel.

     i. If both the Challenger and the Challenged go on Vacation
     simultaneously, then the Duel is cancelled.

     j. No player may make more than 3 challenges per calendar month. No
     more than 6 duels may be called per calendar month.

     --------------------------------------------------------------------
     ------

     Create a new rule called "Adding Contests", which reads:

     {{
     This rule has precedence over all mutable rules.

     Add the following contest, in quotes, to the Games and Contests
     page:
     "
     Limerick Contest

     1) Equipment: None

     2) Number of Players:

     Exactly 2, with the GamesMaster as a referee. It is permissable for
     the GamesMaster to be both a player and the referee at the same
     time.

     3) Starting an instance of the contest

     The Limerick Contest is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules,
     in which case the GamesMaster is the referee, or when a sufficient
     number of players and referees agree to start and participate in it.

     4) Rules of the contest:

     Each of the players in the contest writes a limerick about the other
     player. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the
     other participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not
     offensive. The limericks must be posted within 5 days of the start
     of the contest. If one of the participants fails to post a limerick,
     then the other wins by default. If neither post, the referee chooses
     a winner at random.

     Once both limericks have been posted, there is a 3 day voting
     period. During the voting period all Ackanomic players may send
     their vote to the referee, indicating which limerick is the better
     one. The participant whose limerick got the most votes, wins the
     contest. In case of a tie, the participant whose limerick was posted
     first wins the contest. In the case that that does not determine a
     winner, the referee determines a winner at random.
     "

     Add the following game, in quotes, to the Games and Contests page:
     "

     Boolean tic-tac-toe (Bttt)

     1) Equipment: None

     2) Number of Players: Exactly 2.

     3) Starting an instance of the game

     Bttt is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules, or when a
     sufficient number of players agree to start and participate in it.

     4) Rules of Bttt:

     (i) The game of Bttt is played on a 3x3 grid labeled in the
     following manner:

      a  b  c
      d  e  f
      g  h  i

     (ii) At the begining of the game one participant is randomly chosen
     by the GamesMaster to play the role of T, the other participant
     plays the role of F. The former is known as the T-players, the
     latter is known as the F-player.

     (iii)
     (a) The symbol ! is the NOT symbol.
     (b) The follwoing comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to T
     !F,!3F,!2T
     (c) The following comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to F
     !T,!3T,!2F
     (d) every symbol is equivalent to itself

     (iv)Participants alternate turns. The T-player always goes first.
     The first turn must be played no more than three days after the game
     has started. Every subsequent play must take place within 3 days of
     the most recent play. A participant who misses this deadline loses
     by default.

     (v) There are two possible plays Play and Anti-Play.

     Play - Participant places their symbol, in an unoccupied square. A
     Particiapnt may not any of the equivalents of the symbol. The
     T-player may only play T, the F-Player may only play F

     Anti-Play - An Anti-Play consists of adding the NOT symbol next to a
     symbol already on the grid. If there is already a NOT symbol next to
     that location, then the number next to the NOT symbol is
     incremented. If there is no number then a 2 is inserted between the
     NOT symbol and T or F symbol.

     If the number next to a NOT symbol is 3 then it is illegal to
     Anti-Play in that square. It is illegal for a participant to
     Anti-Play on their own Symbol or any of its equivalents. Anti-Play
     is only permissible if the other Participant has a winning move in
     their next turn.

     (vi) Winning - A player wins when three symbols in a single column,
     row or diagonal are all equivalent to their symbol. If there is no
     legal move and no winner can be determined according to the criteria
     described in the previous sentence, the winner is the participant
     who has more symbols equal to their own symbol in the grid. If this
     still produces no winner, a winner is chosen randomly by the
     GamesMaster.

     "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 02:48:53 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P1348 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1348: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
13 YES votes - 1 NO vote - 1 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P1348 was Harfy.

   Proposal 1348 - Fri 18 Oct 8:34 CDT 1996
   Trinkets, Riddles, and Buried Treasure
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 15 points and becomes Harfmeister:      -10 -> 5

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = 5
fnord                                             = 0
Mohammed                                          = -15
Brinjal                                           = 0
breadbox                                          = 0
Habeous Corpus                                    = 6
Tammany (A$5 Malenkai)

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                    Vulcan           -12 -> -9

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Create a new rule called "Trinkets" which reads:

     {{all extant Trinkets are destroyed with no compensation to their
     owner. The preceeding sentence takes precedence over all others in
     this rule.}}

     A class of Tradeable entities known as Trinkets exist. Trinkets may
     be traded via the same procedures allowed for the trading of
     Ackadollars.

     Trinkets always have a value in positive A$. The value of a Trinket
     may only be changed as specified by the rules. The owner of a
     Trinket may exchange it for its value in A$ by publically announcing
     they are doing so. This action destroys the Trinket, and it upsets
     the art and antiquities communities.

     A player may create a Trinket by publically announcing its name,
     description, and value, and by paying its announced value to the
     Treasury. A player may not create a Trinket he cannot afford the
     value of. Once created, the creating player becomes the owner of the
     Trinket.

     Other rules may also create and bestow ownership of Trinkets, so
     long as the rule provides for naming, describing, and valuing the
     Trinket.

     Trinkets have no power to affect any entities except as specified by
     the rules.

     [What are Trinkets used for? Adding color, basically. Allowing gifts
     of value other than Prosthetic Foreheads to be given, and for
     possible use as Buried Treasure, or other uses.]

     --------------------------------------------------------------------
     ----

     Create a new rule called "Buried Treasure!" which reads:

     A player may bury Treasure by publically announcing that they are
     doing so, and by stating what the Treasure consists of. The Treasure
     must consist of one or more tradeable entities owned by that player.
     Hereafter, the term "Treasure" means the collection of these
     specified constituent entities.

     Immediately after this announcement, the player ceases to own the
     Treasure; it is considered "buried" or "hidden", and is unowned.

     A player who buries Treasure must write a Treasure Map that
     describes, at a minimum, the conditions which must be met for a
     player to "find" the Treasure. These conditions may be as simple or
     as difficult to achieve as desired by the map writer. In fact, they
     may be impossible to achieve under the current ruleset. For the
     purposes of this rule, "conditions" means 1 or more conditions.

     The map writer is free to disclose all, part, or none of the map
     publically or privately at any time, or drop hints, clues, obscure
     riddles, etc in any manner they choose, even if such is not obvious,
     is subtle, or is encrypted [for example, the text of a proposal
     could be part of a Treasure Map, or a riddle, in disguise]. The map
     writer should consider the fun and spirit of the game when making
     such decisions [they could always just give the entities away].

     Upon a player (who is not a map custodian with respect to the map in
     question) achieving the conditions for finding buried Treasure as
     specified by a Treasure Map, it is a duty of the map writer or a map
     custodian (if any exist) to make this fact, and the map, public
     (once they become aware of the condition being achieved, and final
     act that lead to the condition being achieved is publically
     knowable). This action destroys the map, and the player who achieved
     the conditions receives the Treasure, and thus becomes the owner of
     its constituent entities (which are no longer considered
     "Treasure"). In the case of multiple players achieving the
     conditions before the map is destroyed, the first to achieve it
     finds the Treasure. If the condition is achieved simultaneously by 2
     or more players, the finder is determined at random by the Officer
     in charge of Random Things.

     The map writer is free to achieve the conditions. This is considered
     bad form, and the Chartreuse Goose is permitted to sneer.
     Furthermore, when this happens, the Chartreuse Goose is transferred
     to the map writer from wherever it is.

     The rules may specify conditions under which a player becomes a map
     custodian for a particular Treasure Map. Once a player becomes a map
     custodian for a particular map, they are not permitted to disclose
     anything about the map, or find the Treasure associated with that
     map, even if they achieve the conditions, as long as that map is in
     existance. A player will never "un become" a map custodian for a
     particular map once they have been one. Any player responsible for
     announcing that another player has achieved the conditions will not
     do so in the case of a map custodian (with respect to that map)
     achieving them.

     Whenever a map writer goes on vacation, or leaves the game, they
     should give the map to the Speaker (or acting Speaker), who becomes
     the map custodian (although for short vacations, they may not wish
     to do this). Upon the Speaker going on vacation, they should give
     the map to the acting Speaker, etc. It is possible, and acceptable,
     for a map to be permanently or temporarily lost because of players
     leaving the game. Such is the nature of buried treasure. Players
     should avoid giving the map to a map custodian, unless it is in the
     best interest of the fun of the treasure hunt (i.e., they are going
     on a long vacation or leaving).

     The map writer is not a map custodian, unless he happens to become
     one as specified in the above paragraph.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 13:09:56 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1347 Passes

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Acting Tabulator wrote:

> Quorum achieved on P1347: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
> 10 YES votes - 1 NO vote - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
> 
>  Proposal 1347 - Fri 18 Oct 8:32 CDT 1996
>  Deciphering Duels
>  Malenkai (Randy Hall)

in section 4
> 
>    e. A Player who anounces that he will be going on Vacation on a
>    specific future date is Untouchable until they return from that
>    vacation, or for three days if they do not go on that vacation
>    within3 days.

This phrasing allows for a cry-wolf style abuse.
I can just anounce that I am going on vacation in three days, not go on
vacation, and keep doing so every three days, thus remaining Untouchable
for as long as I don't lose count. This was not possible under the
original phrasing of the rule.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 11:00:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC, especially not this

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> Has any of you ever told your wage generators that you are being paid way
> too much?  You could make a real contribution to the economy:)
> 
> 
Oddly enough, yes, I have.  I think they believe I am kidding, tho.

I didn't get this name for nothing-
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Not even an RFC, especially not this

> Has any of you ever told your wage generators that you are being
> paid way too much?  You could make a real contribution to the
> economy:)

Oh, sure. A bunch of us did. Not as a demand to lower our wages, mind
you, just as idle observation during all-night hack sessions.

We generally stopped doing this after finding out what many of our
significantly-less-competent coworkers were making. Kind of took on
a different ironic tone then.

b

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:49:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1349 Passes

> Quorum achieved on P1348: 16 Eligible voters - 13 Players cast votes
> 8 YES votes - 5 NO vote - 3 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES

Note that if these were the correct vote counts, this proposal would not
have passed.  Since there are actually only 4 NO votes, it passes.

>    Proposal 1349 - Fri 18 Oct 8:36 CDT 1996
>    Rama-lama-ding-dong
>    snowgod (Phil Ackley)
> 
> snowgod gains 10 points:                        0 -> 10
> 
> YES Votes:
> ---------
> Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
> snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 10
> mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
> (None Yet) Unity Vote
> Malenkai                    FUN                   = -35
> fnord                                             = 0
> Brinjal                                           = 0
> 
> Tammany (A$10 snowgod)
> 
> NO Votes:
> --------
> /dev/joe                    Vulcan             -9 ->  -6
> ThinMan                     Vulcan            -15 -> -12
> Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan              5 ->   8
> Mohammed                                      -15 -> -12

Also note that since we don't have "NO" unity votes any more, the above
votes are correct.  On two other proposals Vulcan unity NO votes were
listed, but they shouldn't be; however, this does not allow either of
those proposals to pass.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #313
*******************************