Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #310
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, October 25 1996       Volume 01 : Number 310

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:21:16 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds- Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> OK then, I am making the following buy offers.  I am giving my advance 
> acknowledgement to any of them.
> 
> Guy Fawkes will buy any of these:
> 
> PFIdiotBoy   up to 30 @ 6 A$ each
I'll sell you 20 @ 120A$ total

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 01:34:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds- Guy Fawkes

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> >
> > OK then, I am making the following buy offers.  I am giving my advance
> > acknowledgement to any of them.
> >
> > Guy Fawkes will buy any of these:
> >
> > PFIdiotBoy   up to 30 @ 6 A$ each
> I'll sell you 20 @ 120A$ total
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck

This must be ack'd by Guy before it is recorded.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:31:04 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Foreheas and such

The current high bid for the lot of 8 genuine snowgod for president
campaign foreheads is currently A$50, bid by Guy Fawkes.

snowgod
in favor of shamless profiteering
a slight investment in the proper foreheads can yeild substantial profits
Buy ackanomics first collectors items today
don't delay - act promptly
own a peice of history
all that and etcetera

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:58:24 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Forehead removal

With the campaign long over, and the auction for the remaing foreheads
begun, I am removing my lucky campaign forehead and placing it on a
bookshelf with the 3 other foreheads wich I consider to be "mine".  The
Eight foreheads that I have placed on auction are in a glass box, in front
of La Casa Del Dio Nieve, where they can be admired by all, and checked
for quality prior to purchase.

Now that I am not wearing my forehead, i am creating, and wearing a Wool
Sweater, in accordance with R1046.  In two days time, I shall put on the
lovely forehead that malenkai presented to me as an apology to the
intellectual community, and delight in wearing a loophole in my forehead.

Until then though, all I can do is admire it, so here goes: It is a
non-descript shade of Chartreuse. In the middle of it is a large Loophole.
The Loophole in encircled by a ring of red. Extending from the upper-left quadrant of the circle
to the lower-right, along one of the circle's diameters, is a line of red. 

Ooh, pretty forehead.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 00:03:04 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Sitting on my Bench

I continue to sit on my bench, out side the senate chambers, awaiting the
(hopeful) acceptance of my plan to build the Tower of Bandwidth.  I am
proudly wearing my new wool sweater to remind everyone of the new towers
high quality craftmanship.

I am, perhaps, really too tired to be writing this message, so I ought
stop now.

snowgod
forehead mogul

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:53:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds- Guy Fawkes

IB got to my pre-acked offer first, and I now have about as much 
PFIdiotBoy as I want right now -- I'm trying to diversify my portfolio, 
and this purchase would cost too much for me to pay for all my others 
offers.  So, sorry, I cannot ack this.

Guy Fawkes

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > 
> > >
> > > OK then, I am making the following buy offers.  I am giving my advance
> > > acknowledgement to any of them.
> > >
> > > Guy Fawkes will buy any of these:
> > >
> > > PFIdiotBoy   up to 30 @ 6 A$ each
> > I'll sell you 20 @ 120A$ total
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> This must be ack'd by Guy before it is recorded.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:54:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: AckaPhysicist

The nomination for AckaPhysicist is over, the volunteers are

Calvin N Hobbes
Guy Fawkes

Send your votes to me.  The winner will get to translate the Codex
of Kra.

It would be interesting if the candidates could tell us their
qualifications, enlighten us with some of their research, and
of course talk about the earth.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:47:20 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Donkey Business (fwd)

>
>"Hah!  You fell for one of the classic blunders!  The biggest one is, 
>never fight a land war in Asia.  Nut only slightly less well known is 
>this:  never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha!  *clunk*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: PFBonds and House

I am interested in purchasing 1, and only 1, PFBond
of every player in the game.  Please e-mail me privately
if you are interested in selling me a PFBond that you 
own, and we can discuss terms.

Also, I would like to rename my house to "The Center of
Education for Cosmic Encounters". 

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:32:29 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 310 Verdict

> CFJ 310 has been judged TRUE.

..

> Habeous Corpus's Reasoning:

..

> I note that CFJ 311 may or may not have been retracted.  If it was
> indeed retracted,  I extend my ruling to include all moves after move
> 14 are also reset.  In correcting a retractable error,  in lieu of 
> any explicit rules stating otherwise,  the game is reset to the point
> when the error occurred.

The game to be reset being PartyChess, not Ackanomic I presume. That
certainly seems the reasonable course to take. I trust you are correct
in saying it is the *legal* course to take.

I accepted judgement on CFJ311 but it seems Niccolo retracted it just 
before. Unless anyone says otherwise I will assume it *was* retracted.

Brinjal.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:52:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

> > PFmr         up to 30 @ 5 A$ each
> > PFBascule    up to 30 @ 4 A$ each
> > PFdevjoe     up to 30 @ 7 A$ each
	I'll buy any of those at A$ 8 each.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:29:44 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: AckaPhysicist 

At 08:54 AM 24-10-96 -0400, Malenkai wrote:
>The nomination for AckaPhysicist is over, the volunteers are
>Calvin N Hobbes
>Guy Fawkes
>
>Send your votes to me.  The winner will get to translate the Codex
>of Kra.
>
>It would be interesting if the candidates could tell us their
>qualifications, enlighten us with some of their research, and
>of course talk about the earth.

CnH is one of the oldest players and has had a hand in the creation of his
fair share of the foundations Acka enjoys. CnH is a member of the FUN party,
although very little seems to be done by the party. He is also a Priest in
the Church of the Markovian Dream.

From the very beginning, his quest for knowledge and effort to push back the
boundaries of the game has earned him the dubious honor of being the first
Heretic (if memory serves me right). As Ackaphysicist, you can expect little
timidity from him and some ground breaking analysis of the Codex. And as his
life's work shows, he is willing to put the rules and respect for law before
his own preferences.

This means that whatever CnH's personal beliefs in such matters as the
earth's shape (*1), which everyone must know of by now, they will not
interfere with his work in making faithful and accurate translation of the
Codex.

Having read much, had access to some banned works and forbidden knowledge
hidden in the underground vaults of our underused underfunded library (hint
to our good Senators), he has more than once stepped out of the comfortable
social cage, although never taking any action that would endanger Ackanomic
proper. This private research also means he has a good theoretical
background on which to rely (*2).

A self-styled visionary with a thing for fractals, infinity theories and the
democratic process, CnH is proud to run for this position with (not really
"against") Guy Fawkes, a noted and respected player.

He who was first to walk in the Afterlife
Calvin N Hobbes

(*1) See publications in Acka-Official (May, Jun, Aug96), Bascule's
Commentaries (May96), Acka-Research (Sep, Oct96).

(*2) A publication about the consistency of the day-night concept as a
"Solar System Theory For Planar Planets" was broadcast in Oct96.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:41:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1369

> 8. A Player can only an Otzma Card that e owns.
	Possibly significant typo.

> 10. When a player has used an Otzma Card in a public forum, e may not 
> another Otzma Card in a public forum for three days. This section has no 
> effect on Otzma Cards used on proposals.
	Same typo.

>   a. In a public forum it can be used to nullify an action or an effect
> caused by another Otzma Card, provided that the Go Fish Card is played no
> more than three days after the Card it attempts to nullify has been
> played.
	Suppose...
	I submit a Proposal to destroy all Go Fish Cards.  Someone else
tries to defeat the proposal by using their It's Alive Card to turn their
Lackey, John Henry, into a Gnome (a type of Creature that can vote).  I
have a Go Fish Card of my own, but I can wait three days to use it, so I
hang on to see whether or not it's legal to do so.
	So it turns out that John Henry's vote is the one vote that 
causes my proposal to fail.  I use my Go Fish Card on his It's Alive 
Card, retroactively causing John Henry to lose the vote, my proposal to 
pass, and thus my own Go Fish to be illegal.

	Retroactivity is blood in the water for paradox sharks.  Even in
Magic: the Gathering, there is no retroactivity.  When you cast a Counter
Spell in that game, it's done before the target spell really takes effect.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:53:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Calvin

Calvin N Hobbes has stated his willingness to set his Heretical beliefs 
aside where they conflict with the rules, as far as the Codex is 
concerned.  I believe him.  Given this, I no longer feel a need to run 
for AckaPhysicist.

Guy Fawkes
voting for CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:29:03 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1369

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

My apologies for the possibly significant typos. They are minor, and can
be fixed by Modest proposals. Before I comment on the following, I'd like
to point out that should the proposal pass, there is only one type of card
defined, so any point that was not ironed out in the Long RFC Stage could
easily be dealt with.

 > 	Suppose...
> 	I submit a Proposal to destroy all Go Fish Cards.  Someone else
> tries to defeat the proposal by using their It's Alive Card to turn their
> Lackey, John Henry, into a Gnome (a type of Creature that can vote).  I
> have a Go Fish Card of my own, but I can wait three days to use it, so I
> hang on to see whether or not it's legal to do so.
> 	So it turns out that John Henry's vote is the one vote that 
> causes my proposal to fail.  I use my Go Fish Card on his It's Alive 
> Card, retroactively causing John Henry to lose the vote, my proposal to 
> pass, and thus my own Go Fish to be illegal.
> 
> 	Retroactivity is blood in the water for paradox sharks.  Even in
> Magic: the Gathering, there is no retroactivity.  When you cast a Counter
> Spell in that game, it's done before the target spell really takes effect.
> 
> --Mohammed
> 

A couple of points: 
- - A card wuch as the Go Fish card is important to have. It is important
that it is the first one in order to take precedence over all other Cards.
I want Otzma Cards to be useful, and I want some of them to be more
powerful than others, but no Ackanomic entity should have unchecked
absolute power.  This proposal already has many built restrictions, Cards
can only be used once, there is a imit on the number of Cards that can be
owned. There is no single player controlling the types of Cards, etc.

- - In an e-mail game it is necessary to allow some time to certain actions.
There already are legal retroactive actions of Ackanomic, the effect of
CFJs is retroactive.
What alternative would you suggest?

One possibility is specifying that Cards played in the public forum take
effect three days after they are anounced. Do you believe this will be
less problematic?

Let us taake a rather rare hypothetical Card that I call
Double-PartyChessPiece-Play, it allows a Swinger to make two legal moves
in the same turn with a single piece. The Swinger anounces this Card by
posting the move, the name of the Card, and the second move with the same
piece. All three anouncements can be made in the same posting.  That Card
 takes effect immediately. It wouldn't work with a three day delay.

Would you prefer delayed action?

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:04:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1369

> My apologies for the possibly significant typos. They are minor, and can
> be fixed by Modest proposals.
	Or, indeed, by the CSRR officer.  No big deal.
	No need to change your votes, folks....

> I want Otzma Cards to be useful, and I want some of them to be more
> powerful than others, but no Ackanomic entity should have unchecked
> absolute power.
	Thus the Monkey Wrench for Gadgets (although there are no 
mechanical Gadgets, so that sort of fizzled.)

> - In an e-mail game it is necessary to allow some time to certain actions.
> There already are legal retroactive actions of Ackanomic, the effect of
> CFJs is retroactive.
	A CFJ doesn't normally have a retroactive "effect" in the same 
sense that Go Fish would.  A Go Fish can have a significant, powerful 
effect on the game, whereas a CFJ seldom changes the current game state 
too much, and hardly ever in a totally unexpected way.
	Supposedly a CFJ could go back in time and end up denying its own
authority, but only if the game is destroyed anyway (as with Robert
Sevin's first win claim.)
	Suppose PartyChess had gone on for weeks before the recent error
were detected.  I would see the resultant CFJ as simply verifying what we
already suspect:  that instead of PartyChess happening as we thought it was
happening, it was in fact taking a totally different course.  The CFJ
would probably specify that there was Pass after Pass; or worse, that some
moves were legal, but most weren't.  In any case, the CFJ doesn't go back 
in time and -act- retroactively to change the situation.  It goes back 
and -observes- what actually happened (as opposed to what we all thought 
was happening at the time.)

> What alternative would you suggest?
> 
> One possibility is specifying that Cards played in the public forum take
> effect three days after they are anounced. Do you believe this will be
> less problematic?
	I dunno.  Another possibility is just to say that a Go Fish Card 
attempts (in the present) to undo whatever the targeted Card did (in 
the past.)  This is wide open to interpretation, of course.

	Another possibility (my personal favorite) is to say that a Go
Fish Card "counters"  another Card; and require each Card to say what
happens when it is countered.
	The It's Alive Card would then say (in fine print), "When this 
Card is countered, the Creature targeted by it changes all his votes on 
pending Proposals to PRESENT and then loses its ability to vote."
	The DoublePartyChessMove Card would say, "When this Card is 
countered, the piece that was moved by it is immediately moved back to 
the square whence it came, if that square is unoccupied AND the instant 
move would not cause any Swinger's King to be attacked."
	This would allow some interesting cards, I think.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:39:07 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Votes delayed

The voting results for P1342 and P1344 will be delayed.  They are all
tabulated, but I am having a hell of a time getting them sent.  My ISP
keeps dropping it carrier, and when I try to call back, I get an all
circuts are busy message.

You'll be lucky if I even get this out :)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:45:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1376

Proposal 1376 -- Thu 24 Oct 18:42 CDT 1996
Speculating in Haunted Bonds
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal

Amend R 962.2 to replace

"
      There shall exist the following protected acka-entities:
      - Bond Promissory 
"

with:

"
Bond Promissories exist.  They are Protected and Tradeable.
"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:20:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Little Lamb

I am paying A$10 and taking the little lamb off of snowgod's hands.

Malenkai
where is everyone?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:45:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1377

Proposal 1377 -- Thu 24 Oct 18:41 CDT 1996
The Old Lightbulb Bit
snowgod (Phil Ackley)
 
No more than once every three months the officer in charge of random
things may announce that a lightbuld has gone out in one of Ackanomic's
public building.  This of course leads to great consternation, and the
inevitable question: How many Ackanomians does it take to change a light
bulb?
 
It is the duty of the senate to answer this question.  Upon the
announcement of a light bulb going out, the senate shall hold a meeting
for the purposes of determining exactly what should be done to remedy the
situation.  The options include recomending that one or more players are
hired to fix the light bulb, brining in outside help (in the form of the
Frobozz Magic Maintenance Company, Ackanomic Division), or having one of
the senators attempt to change the lightbulb himself.
 
The senate has seven days to issue a report stating their recomendations
for lightbuld repair, or they shall be held In Contempt.  A public hearing
will then be held, lasting three days.  Players may send their votes to
Count Tabula indicating which of the three options they prefer.  When the
hearing has finished, whichever option recieves the most votes shall be
excecuted.  In the event of a tie, the recomendation of the senate report
shall be followed.
 
Billing:
 
If one or more players are hired to fix the lightbulb, each one shall be
paid A$25 after he has posted an interesting description of the lightbulb
changing and his role in the event.
 
If the Frobozz Magic Maintenance Company, Ackanomic Division, is called
upon to do the job they shall recieve A$5 from every active players for
services rendered.  Players may exempt themselves from payment by
contibuting an article to a newspaper (assuming it is accepted by the
publisher) describing the event, and the waste of hard-earned dollars.
 
If a senator is chosen to do the job, he shall recieve nothing more than a
heartfelt round of applause for a job well done.  However, there is always
25 percent chance that he shall fall of the ladder and the job will not be
completed.  If that is determined to have happened (using the dice server,
if one is recognized by ackanomic) the the Frobozz folks will be called in
after all - and be paid A$10 per active player, due to the rush nature of
the job

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:26:36 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1377

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1377 -- Thu 24 Oct 18:41 CDT 1996
> The Old Lightbulb Bit
> snowgod (Phil Ackley)

This is fun stuff.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:39:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Habeous Corpus Bids A$360 for the Whamiol.
> 
> Habeous Corpus

Current high bid.  There is still a little time to bid.

Chief Cheese
visions of a fat commission

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1376

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Proposal 1376 -- Thu 24 Oct 18:42 CDT 1996
> Speculating in Haunted Bonds
> Malenkai (Randy Hall)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal
> 
> Amend R 962.2 to replace
> 
> "
>       There shall exist the following protected acka-entities:
>       - Bond Promissory 
> "
> 
> with:
> 
> "
> Bond Promissories exist.  They are Protected and Tradeable.
> "
> 
> 
> 
> 
A fine fine proposal.  I suppose the next one ties their value to their
Sainthood, should such a thing exist?

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:52:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1376

IdiotBoy wrote:

> A fine fine proposal.  I suppose the next one ties their value to their
> Sainthood, should such a thing exist?

I hadn't thought about that.  Making PBPs tradeable was something
i simply missed when I rewrote the finance system.  I don't know
how much actual trading there will be in these issues, if this 
passes.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:33:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> >
> > Habeous Corpus Bids A$360 for the Whamiol.

Final and winning bid for the Whamiol.  He now has a matching set.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:49:25 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1377 

At 06:45 PM 24-10-96 -0500, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>Proposal 1377 -- Thu 24 Oct 18:41 CDT 1996
>The Old Lightbulb Bit
>snowgod (Phil Ackley)

ROTFL!

CnH

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #310
*******************************