Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #309
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Thursday, October 24 1996      Volume 01 : Number 309

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:56:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: RFC: making paradox wins not kill imminent score wins

RFC: Making paradox wins not kill imminent score wins

Amend Rule 666 as follows:

Change "Whenever there is a winner declared" to
  "Whenever a player wins by reaching the Magic Number"

Add the following at the end of the rule:
"Whenever a player wins via a Paradox Win CFJ, the following process
 shall be conducted:

a) Ackanomic Play is suspended.
b) All Undead stop haunting all Right-Handed Grapefruit.  Then all
   Right-Handed Grapefruit are destroyed.
c) The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and a Right-Handed
   Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak, should such entities be defined by the 
   rules, are created in that player's possession.  If this results in his 
   having two Champion's Cloaks, one of them is instantly transformed into a 
   Badge of Glory, should such an entity be defined by the rules.
d) If the cycle currently ending has exceeded 30 days in length, all
   players who have been on vacation for the entire cycle are removed from
   the game as if they have quit.
e) The game cycle number is incremented.
f) Ackanomic play resumes."

{{ [ for the end-of-cycle on a paradox win, I dropped the resetting of
scores, goose eggs, victory eggplants, bond cycles, and the awarding of
A$ equal to the score. ] }}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:00:29 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Winning, etc.

With all the recent talk about winning, I figured I might as well throw 
in my two cents. I guess I'm one of those people who get's the most fun 
out of this game strictly from participation and interaction.  I could 
really care less about actually winning the game (although it would make 
a nice bonus).  Think about it - are you going to remember tinan or wayne 
for who they were or what they did?  Certainly neither of them ever won 
the game (I don't think tinan ever even tried), but both are a large part 
of what this game has become.

I play ackanomic becuase I like the people, and the situations, and yes, 
unlike a few of you, the humor :)  I won't detract from those who file 
paradox wins (and would you believe it, I think I found a CFJ worth 
filing myself) but winning is not of the utmost importance to me.  I 
would like to see more interesting winning conditions added, I suppose, 
but I am not too particular at this moment as to what or how.

It's late, I have to work earlier and I still have those voting results 
to send so goodnight!

snowgod
momentarily not tabulating
Hoping no one files my CFJ before I have some free time :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:02:36 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Scores for voting results

Though the recent scorekeepers report did not confirm it, I am going to 
act under the assumption that the fat lady has sung, and all scores have 
been reset when releasing the voting results.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:05:46 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Scores for voting results

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> Though the recent scorekeepers report did not confirm it, I am going to 
> act under the assumption that the fat lady has sung, and all scores have 
> been reset when releasing the voting results.
> 
> snowgod
Oops, forgive me!  I didn't look at the title of /dev/joe's latest score 
report before posting it.  My apologies.

snowgod
probably too sleepy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:28:54 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1440 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1340: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 2 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
P1340 was Modest

   Proposal 1340 - Tue Oct 15 19:59 EDT 1996
   (Oops)
   Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Guy Fawkes gains 5 points:                      0 -> 5

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
breadbox                                          = 0
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0
Vulcan Unity Vote
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity Vote
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -35

NO Votes:
- --------
Mohammed                                        0 -> 3
Habeous Corpus                                  3 -> 6

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
Brinjal

Abstentions:
- -----------
Fnord
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Amend Rule 1099, section 3) to read as follows:

     3) If a departing player has been nominated, their confirmation
     period starts at the time of their nomination and ends 3 after their
     nomination. During the confirmation period, players may send
     messages to the public forum supporting the nominee (maximum one
     such messge per player). The nominee shall receive one confirmation
     point for each such message posted in accordance with the rules.
     They shall also receiv one point for each cycle (or game) they won
     while a player, up to a maximum of 5 points from this source.

     {{[The confirmation periods for Wayne and this is not a name shall
     now end, if they have not already done so.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:29:03 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Tower Plan 

I am submitting the folowing plan for a Public Tower to the senate, and I
eagerly await a decision.  As a matter of fact, I happily sit down on a
bench which was recently created (per R115 in fact) for just this occasion.
I'll remain here for three days, assuming I don't get burned as a witch or
something first :)

- -------------------- Tower Plan  ----------------------------------

The Tower of Bandwidth is to be built, standing free, next to the Library.
It shall stand 40' meters tall.  The tower will be made of only the finest
wool - mostly white.  Weaved into the tower, with black wool, will be the
text of every word publically uttered in Ackanomic during this, the first
year of our existance.  Great foresight and planning will enable the
Tower's creators to actually include the text of messages not yet posted,
so long as they will be uttered within the first year of Ackanomic's
existance,  though they may not be readable until they are publically
revealed by their sender.

Current planning calls for the Tower Of Bandwidth the tower to be extended
in height every year of Ackanomics existance, with new utterances posted
upon it, pending approval from the propoper sources.

Respectfully submitted,
snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:28:44 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1338 Passes 

[Tabulators Note: I am going to diverge from the format created by Wayne
for distributing voting results.  It is very time consuming without a bot
(which i'm working on) and has led to a couple of sloppy cut-and-paste Jobs
on my part.  If anyone objects to however I end up formatting these results
and would like me to go back to the old way, or if anyone has any
suggestions for something new, feel free to let me know.  -snowgod]

Quorum achieved on P1338: 16 Eligible voters - 11 Players cast votes
10 YES votes - 2 NO votes - 1 PRESENT vote - Proposal PASSES

   Proposal 1338 - Tue Oct 15 19:57 EDT 1996
   Towers
   Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Malenkai gains 10 points:                    -45 -> -35

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
breadbox                                          = 0
Mohammed                                          = 0
Brinjal                                           = 0
mr cwm                      (None Yet)            = 0
Malenkai                    FUN                   = -35
snowgod                     (None Yet)            = 0
(None Yet) Unity vote
Tammany (A$5 Malenkai)

NO Votes:
- --------
/dev/joe                    Vulcan           -15 -> -12
Habeous Corpus                                 0 -> 3

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy

Abstentions:
- -----------
Fnord
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes
Niccolo Flychuck

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     Create a new rule called "Towers" which reads:

     1) There are two types of towers: Ostentatious Towers and Public
     Towers. An Ostentatious Tower is a tower that a player adds to a
     building they own (the term "Ostentatious Tower" is always with
     respect to a particular player). A Public Tower is a tower that a
     player adds to a public building, (that is, a building defined by
     the rules which is owned by no player, and is not haunted by an
     Undead), or to a kaa of public land.

     2) A player is always said to be "permitted" to build (or extend) an
     Ostentatious Tower associated with them. A player is said to be
     permitted to build (or extend) a Public Tower provided they submit a
     plan to the Senate, and the Senate votes approval of that plan
     within 3 days of its submission. Such a plan must describe a tower
     that could legally be built (or a legal extension of an extant
     Public Tower). The Public Tower so built (or extension thereof) as a
     result of this permission must accord with the plan approved by the
     Senate.

     3) There is no limit to the number of towers that may be added to a
     building, and there is no upper limit to their height, so long as
     they are constructed (or extended) via procedures defined in the
     rules. Towers are protected, as is the act of constructing (and
     extending) them.

     4) A tower is constructed as follows, provided the player is
     permitted to contruct it. The player publically announces which
     building they are adding a tower to (or which kaa of land they are
     building it on), a description of the tower, and the height of the
     tower (as a positive integral number of meters). Towers must be at
     least 35 meters tall. Towers cost A$3 per meter to construct, and if
     a player cannot afford the construction costs, they may not build a
     tower of that height.

     5) A player may also extend the height of a tower they are permitted
     to extend by an integral number of meters, at a cost of A$5 per
     meter, by publically announcing they are doing so, and by describing
     the extension.

     6) A building's height is the height of its tallest tower. All
     buildings without a tower are less than 35 meters high, unless the
     rules specify otherwise. A stand-alone tower built on a kaa of land
     without an attached building is considered a building in its own
     right.

     7) Any tower in the Gaol's evidence room is twisted into a
     pretzel-shaped blob, and will not exceed the height of the Gaol.
     Towers may not manipulate protected entities or perfrom protected
     actions except where specified by the rules. Towers may only be
     destroyed as specified in the rules.

     8) It is said that a tower of sufficient height will reach close to
     the edge of the stainless steel hollow walls that surround the
     earth, and it is known that a Brass Monkey is taller than two
     average cat-heights.

     {{9) renumber this rule to 841}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:28:49 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1339 Passes 

Quorum achieved on P1339: 16 Eligible voters - 12 Players cast votes
8 YES votes - 0 NO votes - 5 PRESENT votes - Proposal PASSES
Proposal 1339 was modest

   Proposal 1339 - Tue Oct 15 19:58 EDT 1996
   Ammend 985.1
   Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Niccolo Flychuck gains 5 points:               0 -> 5

YES Votes:
- ---------
Guy Fawkes                  (None Yet)            = 0
ThinMan                     Vulcan                = -15
breadbox                                          = 0
Mohammed                                          = 0
Brinjal                                           = 0
Habeous Corpus                                    = 3
/dev/joe                    Vulcan                = -12
Niccolo Flychuck            Vulcan                = 0
Vulcan Unity Vote

NO Votes:
- --------
NONE

PRESENT Votes:
- -------------
IdiotBoy
Malenkai
Mohammed
mr cwm
snowgod

Abstentions:
- -----------
Fnord
Robert Sevin
Bascule
Calvin N Hobbes

Text Of Passed Proposal:
- -----------------------

     This is a Modest proposal.

     Append the following sentence to Section 4.A. of R985.1 "This
     section defers to section 3.C. of this rule."

     {{[While 3.C. explicitly defers the entire rule to a PCPD rule which
     defines another means of Capture. 4.A. takes precedence over 3.C.
     this should fix this]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:33:17 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: Donkey Business 

Is grabbing my own Donkey a legal move?  If so, I am grabbing my donkay.

Sorry to burden you with the question... It's just that as I write this I
don't have web access (at least not to wilma) and I wanted to write it down
before I forgot.

If not, I shall grab ThinMan's Donkey.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:40:55 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Donkey Business (fwd)

Okay,

This is getting a little silly.  You think I could go a whole day without 
sending a private message to Malenkai to the public forum, but NOOO!

Oh well, such is life :)

snowgod
grabbing his own donkey 

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:33:17 -0900
From: Acting Tabulator <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Donkey Business

Is grabbing my own Donkey a legal move?  If so, I am grabbing my donkay.

Sorry to burden you with the question... It's just that as I write this I
don't have web access (at least not to wilma) and I wanted to write it down
before I forgot.

If not, I shall grab ThinMan's Donkey.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:07:54 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Forehead Auction

I am holding a public auction for the 8 unclaimed foreheads from my 
campaign collection.  This auction will last three days.  The minum bid 
for these foreheads, which i hope to sell as a unit, is A$48.

Please send your bids to [email-masked]

Descriptions of these foreheads are available from /dev/joe's fine 
forehead web page. Of particualr interest might be the foreheads of Elder 
this is not a name, and Elder Wayne.  Also included are foreheads for 
Uncle Sam, and Pascal (who are no longer with us), and Robert Sevin. 3 
more fine foreheads round out the collection.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 05:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: making paradox wins not kill imminent score wins

> RFC: Making paradox wins not kill imminent score wins
> 
> [...]
> 
> {{ [ for the end-of-cycle on a paradox win, I dropped the resetting of
> scores, goose eggs, victory eggplants, bond cycles, and the awarding of
> A$ equal to the score. ] }}
> 

I like some of these, but I would not remove the resetting of the
scores. Despite the problems that Malenkai described in his post (most
of which I agree with), I don't think that Paradox Wins should be
considered a lesser method of winning the game. If anything, they
should be preferential.

To me this is sort of like treating the symptoms instead of the
problem. (Though please forgive the excessively negative insinuations
in that analogy.) Instead of making Paradox Wins have less impact, we
should be making them harder to achieve. Find and remove loopholes
in the existing rules, RFC nontrivial proposals before submitting them,
etc. And I think we have been doing that, at least while I've been here.
If we keep it up, Paradox Wins will seem like less of a problem.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:59:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Habeous Corpus bids A$250 for the Whamiol
> 
> Habeous Corpus

CHief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:40:09 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Donkey Business (fwd)

snowgod wrote:

>This is getting a little silly.  You think I could go a whole day without 
>sending a private message to Malenkai to the public forum, but NOOO!
>
>Oh well, such is life :)

Ah, you thought you could fool me, huh?  But I see right
through you.  It was an evil plot to make me _think_ that
you would try to grab my donkey, thus convincing me to
cover.  For some reason you expected me to grab, instead.
Perhaps you are worried about me grabbing _your_ donkey!
That whole thing about grabbing your own is just camoflage.

Of course, you could have expected me to see through your
artifice, and therefore ignore it.  Underneath, in fact, you
could have expected me to act in the opposite way, thus
opening myself to your grabbing my donkey.  Well, Bub,
don't think I'm going to fall for it.

On the other hand, you could have expected me to see
through both of those layers ....

ThinMan
Recursing

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:32:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Wednesday, the 23rd day of October, in the Year of Our Lord 
1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I 
have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 5 times.

Guy Fawkes
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:44:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1371

Proposal 1371 -- Wed 23 Oct 11:41 CDT 1996
Just What Is a News Article, Anyway?
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Replace the existing third paragraph of Rule 891 with:

A public message whose first line of text is the name of a newspaper 
shall be considered a news article published in that newspaper.  No other 
messages shall be considered news articles in that paper.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:45:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1372

Proposal 1372 -- Wed 23 Oct 11:41 CDT 1996
Reducing Temptation
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Delete the second sentence of Rule 339.

{{[ I just barely squelched an urge to distribute and retract 30 
proposals.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:46:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1373

Proposal 1373 -- Wed 23 Oct 11:43 CDT 1996
Fixing Unfair Handicapping
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[these rule changes have 3 effects:
      1) don't have the point handicapping penalise the winner in terms of
         cash received at the end of the cycle
      2) don't make it count towards having lowest score for the purposes
         of the Chartreuse Goose, that seems too unfair, as the Goose is
         an incentive for good play.
      3) Define a term called "Eggplant Weight" which can be reused in
         similar situations]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 666 to read:

     Whenever there is a winner declared, the following steps shall
be conducted, in order:

          a) Ackanomic play is suspended.
          b) All Undead stop haunting all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed
 Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants. Then, all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed
 Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants are destroyed.
          c) The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and a Right-Handed
Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak are created in that player's possession.
If this results in his having two Champion's Cloaks, one of them is instantly
transformed into a Badge of Glory.
          d) All players who have zero or fewer points are given a Chartreuse Goose
Egg.
          e) If the amount of A$s in circulation exceeded the amount in the Treasury
at the time this winner was declared, the following shall occur: 20% (round down) of
each Player's A$ balance is transferred to the Treasury. The winner shall pay only 10%
(round down), however. Each Undead stops haunting 20% (rounded down) of the A$ it is haunting.
          f) Each Player is awarded A$ equal to his point total minus his Eggplant Weight.
          g) Bond payments are held in suspension.
          h) Each players' "Eggplant Weight" is recalculated as -15 * N, where N is the
number of cycles that player has won.  Each player's score is set to their Eggplant
Weight.  Each player with a negative Eggplant Weight has a Victory Eggplant is created
in their possession.
          i) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were their Eggplant
Weight at the end of the previous bond cycle.
          j) If the cycle currently ending has exceeded 30 days in length, all players who
have been on vacation for the entire cycle are removed from the game as if they have quit.
          k) The game cycle number is incremented.
          l) Ackanomic play resumes.

{{Each player's Eggplant Weight is set to the score they had one
nanosecond after the current cycle began.}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1243 so that the section numbered as 4) reads:

"
     4) A player who has possessed the Goose for at least 30 days may pay A$75 to the
Treasury and transfer the Goose to the single active player with the lowest adjusted score.
The player receiving the Goose receives A$75 from the Treasury. This option is not available
if more than one active player has the lowest adjusted score. The receiving player may not
decline the transfer.  For the purposes of this section, a player's adjusted score is their
score minus their Eggplant Weight.
"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:47:06 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Silver Stripe

Towers was Malenkai's 120th accepted proposal, so I am giving him another
Silver Stripe.

/dev/joe
Senator, /dev/senate3

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:48:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1374

Proposal 1374 -- Wed 23 Oct 11:45 CDT 1996
Praetor
(Guy Fawkes)  Robert Shimmin

I.  The Office of the Praetor is a Political Office.  It has one seat.  If 
the seat is vacant, it shall be filled by Nomination and Election for 
Office.  Should either of these terms be nonexistant, the Clerk of the 
Court may appoint any eligible player to the seat.  To be eligible for 
Nomination and Election or appointment by the Clerk of the Court, a player 
must be active and one or more of the following
	
	a) a Bronze Torch holder
	b) eligible to receive a Bronze Torch
	c) the owner of a Gold Stripe
	d) a former Supreme Court Justice
	e) enshrined in the Hall of Elders

Regardless of any other eligibility, a current Justice or Acting Justice 
is never eligible.

If the seat is vacant and there are no eligible players, the seat remains 
vacant.

If appointed (not elected) to the Office of Praetor, a player has three 
days to accept the Office.  I he does not do so within that time, the 
appointment is declared void.

II. If an Acting Justice needs to be selected because of a Justice's 
Vacation, the Praetor shall be selected before other eligible players, if 
not already an Acting Justice; if the Praetor cannot be selected, players 
eligible to be Praetor shall be selected before other players.

If an Acting Praetor needs to selected due to Vacation, players eligible 
to be Praetor shall be selected before other players.

III. If a judge or judge-designate should ever be declared a deadbeat, the 
CotC shall select the Praetor as the next Judge for the deadbeat's CFJ.  
If a CFJ is assigned to the Praetor when the seat is vacant, it shall be 
reassigned as if the deadbeat had actively declined judgment.

IV. The Praetor may not decline Judgment.  When a CFJ is submitted to 
him, he is assumed to have immediately accepted it.  He may send a CFJ to the 
Supreme Court, though he may do this only if he has not submitted a 
CFJ to the Supreme Court within the last 14 days.  If e does this, he is 
not required to deliver a verdict.

V. The Praetor is forbidden to take any action or inaction which would 
cause him to be a deadbeat.  If he is ever a deadbeat, he is immediately 
removed from office, and the seat is vacant.

VI. The player who holds the Office of Praetor may be selected to judge 
CFJ's by the methods described in other rules.  Should this occur, he is not 
acting as the Praetor on this CFJ, and he is neither bound by the rules of 
the Office nor able to use the Praetor's powers on this CFJ.  Should, 
however, he ever become a deadbeat as a result of such a CFJ, he is 
immediately removed from office as described in the previous paragraph, 
and the CFJ is reassigned as if he had actively declined.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend the second sentence of Rule 507 to read:

It will be composed of two players (called Justices) who are neither 
President, Speaker, Senator, Praetor, or already Justice.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R569 in the following ways, in the order specified:

Insert the following paragraph between the existing fourth and fifth 
paragraphs.

"If a case reached the Supreme Court through submission by the Praetor, a 
player may still appeal the Court's decision, but the case shall be 
treated as if it had already been appealed once."

Insert the following paragraph between the existing second and third 
paragraphs.

"A case may also reach the Supreme Court if the Praetor submits any CFJ to 
that body.  The Praetor may submit with the CFJ an explanation of why he 
is not deciding it himself, although the Supreme Court is under no 
obligation to read it."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 213 to read:

Having accepted the appointment a Judge has exactly one week in which to 
post an official Judgment.  A Judge who fails to delive Judgment within 
that period is considered and deadbeat and penalized 10 points, and the 
CFJ which he was judging shall be assigned to the Praetor.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 588, paragraph 1 to read:

When Judgement has been called for, a Judge is randomly selected from 
among the other active players that are eligible to judge CFJs, as 
defined by any other applicable rules.  It is a duty of the Clerk of the 
Court to make this selection.  The player selected has 3 days in which to 
accept or refuse the appointment by posting to the applicable officer.  
Any player who does not respond to selection in 3 days shall be 
considered a deadbeat and penalized 10 points, and deemed to have refused 
appointment; the CFJ shall then be assigned to the Praetor.  If a 
selected player actively declines appointment, then a further random 
selection is made from the remaining pool.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Today is Wednesday, the 23rd day of October, in the Year of Our Lord 
> 1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I 
> have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 5 times.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> Scholar of *ping*
> 
> 
> 
I need help with a function.  I need a function which converts
**** *** *** ****** ***** ** ****
to
"every day"

Thanks!
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:21:39 -0800
From: "ACKLEY, PHILLIP R." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My Isp

My ISP is alledgedly upgrading their server today, so I don't have shell 
access, nor do I recieve incoming mail.  I don't know how long this will 
last, but hopefully not long.

I have recieved the internomic votes (from two senators, thank you :) and 
will cast my vote in internomic accordinly when my ISP wakes up again.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:07:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Donkey Business (fwd)

> Ah, you thought you could fool me, huh?  But I see right
> through you.  It was an evil plot to make me _think_ that
> you would try to grab my donkey, thus convincing me to
> cover.
	[...]
> Of course, you could have expected me to see through your
> artifice, and therefore ignore it.
	[...]
> On the other hand, you could have expected me to see
> through both of those layers ....

"Hah!  You fell for one of the classic blunders!  The biggest one is, 
never fight a land war in Asia.  Nut only slightly less well known is 
this:  never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"
					--the Sicilian

- --Mohammed (can't resist)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Donkey Business (fwd)

snowgod spake thusly
> 
> Is grabbing my own Donkey a legal move?  If so, I am grabbing my donkay.
> 
> Sorry to burden you with the question... It's just that as I write this I
> don't have web access (at least not to wilma) and I wanted to write it down
> before I forgot.
> 
> If not, I shall grab ThinMan's Donkey.

Oh, why worry about asking these things?  I went right ahead and did
so for my first (and only) move on the GAL.  The rules (then) didn't
say that when grabbing a Donkey you couldn't grab your *own* donkey.
I was hoping to halt the game when I did it (I rather disliked being
forced to play a game in which I did not wish to participate),
but unfortunately, someone else also tried to grab my donky,
and so the rules were interpreted as to my being removed.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:09:21 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Whamiol

The current high bid for the Whamiol is a lofty A$283 by Mohammed.
There is still over 24 hours to submit your bid.

Also, AckaPhysicist nomination ends in about 12 hours, and 
Tabulator nominitation is ongoing.

and STOP ADMIRING YOUR DONKEY :)

Malenkai
who believes we should concentrate energy on completely alternate winning
conditions, such as Syzygy (P 1277 or 1177 or 1077) and subgames

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:28:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1375

Proposal 1375 -- Wed 23 Oct 5:29 CDT 1996
Giving tinan his Blue Cross Bonus Posthumously, and Removing Another Bug from 
the Eggplants
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

{{ [ This was originally two separate proposals; I hadn't noticed the problem
with resetting scores when I submitted the first one.  Guy Fawkes apparently
lost all the mail I sent him, and P1373 slightly overlaps this so I have
changed the second slightly, and combined them into one proposal. ] }}

Amend rule 962.2 as follows:

1. Add to the beginning of the rule:
  {{ The undead this is not a name begins haunting the Blue Cross Bonus which
  is in the treasury and has "this is not a name" stamped in gold upon it. }}

2. In the process for when a player leaves the game, move step 5 before steps
   3 and 4, and then renumber steps 5, 3, and 4 to be steps 3, 4, and 5
   respectively.  Change the text "step 3" in step 7 to "step 4".

3. Change step 1 in the process for when a player returns to the game to read:
  1) If e left the game during the current cycle, eir score is the
  minimum of 0 and the score e had when e last left the game.  Otherwise,
  eir score is -15 N, where N is the number of cycles e has won, and if
  this causes eir score to be negative, e is given a Victory Eggplant.
  In either case, the player's Eggplant Weight is set to -15 N, where N
  is defined as above.  {{ If proposal 1373 was not accepted, delete the
  sentence before this one. }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:28:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 310 Verdict

CFJ 310 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 310
  Subject: Illegal Chess
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: mr cwm (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Oct 21, 1996, 14:27h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

PartyChess move 14 - Place Bishop at f1 (Brinjal, NAP Swinger)- never
occured.

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

The move is illegal, and therefore it never occured.

Habeous Corpus's Reasoning:

Placing a Bishop at f1 in turn 14 would have threatened None Yet's Jester
at c4.  This is explicitly in violation of Rule 985.2/8 Section 3Biii.

Since this was a "retractable" error on the part of both Brinjal and the
Umpire,  the game is reset so that it never occurred.

I note that CFJ 311 may or may not have been retracted.  If it was indeed
retracted,  I extend my ruling to include all moves after move 14 are
also reset.  In correcting a retractable error,  in lieu of any explicit
rules stating otherwise,  the game is reset to the point when the error
occurred.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:34:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1371 -- Wed 23 Oct 11:41 CDT 1996
> Just What Is a News Article, Anyway?
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Replace the existing third paragraph of Rule 891 with:
> 
> A public message whose first line of text is the name of a newspaper
> shall be considered a news article published in that newspaper.  No other
> messages shall be considered news articles in that paper.

Doesn't this compromise the Hot Tips Newsletter as a newspaper?  Also,
what if the paper wishes to publish 4 articles, as I did the other
night?

I would prefer a retraction and a change of wording such as:

"A message is a publication from a Newspaper if and only if it is designated
as such, and is from the owner of the newspaper.  All such copy is 
implicitly copyrighted unless the copyright is explicitly waived".

[I'm not sure of the explicit copyright, I would actually prefer the
copyright *waived* by default, unless claimed explicitly, as the HTN
does, so strike the last sentence :)].

Malenkai
Publisher (fighting government bureaucracy in the news business)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:41:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

Malenkai is right.
I retract P 1371.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Malenkai is right.
> I retract P 1371.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> 
Man, I finally gave up my "making snowgod's job easier, always vote PRESENT"
to vote NO on this, and it gets retracted.  

Ah well, the subscribers to the HTN probably want to kill me anyway, but I
am waiting for activity in the bond market before publishing my next issue.

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:26:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

OK then, I am making the following buy offers.  I am giving my advance 
acknowledgement to any of them.

Guy Fawkes will buy any of these:

PFIdiotBoy   up to 30 @ 6 A$ each
PFmr         up to 30 @ 5 A$ each
PFBascule    up to 30 @ 4 A$ each
PFdevjoe     up to 30 @ 7 A$ each

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, IdiotBoy wrote:

> Ah well, the subscribers to the HTN probably want to kill me anyway, but I
> am waiting for activity in the bond market before publishing my next issue.
> 
> IB
> --
> IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
> [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:34:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposals

/dev/joe's recent Proposal 1375 had to be re-sent to me because I did not 
have it.  It was most likely my error.  To avoid this in the future (I am 
not a bot), please use the subject line "Acka: Proposal: DISTRIBUTE 
THIS!!"

Secondarily, it would be nice if you used the following heading:

Proposal
Title
PlayerName (RealName)

Thank you.
Guy Fawkes
trying to do a good job

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:39:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1371

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> OK then, I am making the following buy offers.  I am giving my advance 
> acknowledgement to any of them.
> 
> Guy Fawkes will buy any of these:
> 
> PFIdiotBoy   up to 30 @ 6 A$ each

Sold- PFIdiotBoy (30 @ A$180)

> PFmr         up to 30 @ 5 A$ each
> PFBascule    up to 30 @ 4 A$ each
> PFdevjoe     up to 30 @ 7 A$ each
> 
You have no idea how excited I was when I saw bond quotes!

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:37:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Whamiol

IdiotBoy has the high bid on the Whamiol at A$346.

Does it make sense reuse one of the unused mailing lists for
auctions?  Rename acka-judicial to acka-auction?

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:10:36 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whamiol

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> IdiotBoy has the high bid on the Whamiol at A$346.
> 
> Does it make sense reuse one of the unused mailing lists for
> auctions?  Rename acka-judicial to acka-auction?
> 
> Chief Cheese

I am strongly in favor of that!

snowgod
moentarily positive

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #309
*******************************