Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #308
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, October 23 1996      Volume 01 : Number 308

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:03:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: 'Round the Earth

In accordance with R 861 (is that the number?) I am starting a
newspaper called 'Round the Earth, and acknowledge the A$20 fee for
doing so.

'Round the Earth, Issue 1:
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY ANOTHER NEWSPAPER ??
malenkai, managing editor

In addition to reporting all the goings on around Acka, 'Round the Earth
will initially be comitted to objectively reporting the truth of the
Earth's Roundness and bringing that Enlightened Truth to all Ackanomians.

General consensus, of course,  has it that the Ancients proved the Earth
was Round, and recorded that proof in the Codex of Kra, among other
sacred scientific truths about out universe.  'Round the Earth shall be
committed to covering the translation, should an AckaPhysicist step
forward and volunteer to attempt the daunting task (rumor also has it
that Calvin N Hobbes, self-proclaimed Round Earther may volunteer to
attempt the task, perhaps others will as well).

Additionally, 'Round the Earth hereby volunteers to maintain the web pages
for the AckaPhysicist, to relieve him from that duty.

In a completly unrelated area, 'Round the Earth will provide full coverage
and web page maintenance for any Treasure hunts that may occur, including
publishing and recording of all announed riddles and treasure maps.
'Round the Earth will also report clues and half-clues from anonymous
sources, when its reporters pick them up.

'Round the Earth takes submissions.  We'll publish anything, since we
don't have what it takes to write stuff ourselves :)

'Round the Earth takes advertising.  Advertising being free for
self-declared Round Earthers, A$10 per ad for others.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FORMER ROUND EARTHER DECLARES BOUNTY ON THE TRUTH !!
bruce goose, political correspondant

President snowgod, who has won two presidental elections on a Round Earth
platform, and has been burned FOUR times by the clueless for sticking
up for what we all know to be the Truth, has caved in to flat-earth 
propaganda!

The flat-earthers, insecure in there own tenuous beliefs, have lately
been trumpeting alot of flat-earth gobblygook in a feeble attempt to
reassure each other, in moments of waning faith.

Unfortunately, our esteemed President has been trapped by this chatter!
So enthralled by this noise, he, that he has declared a A$100 bounty
on the Truth!  He offers this reward to anyone who successfully throws
Acka back into the dark ages by eliminating Enlightenment.  He proposes to
restrict what we say and think, especially when we say and speak the
Truth!  We, of course, envision a brigther future for Acka, when 
Enlightenment isn't necessary because we all know and agree the Earth
be Round.  Let us progress towards that day, not back to the dark,
pre-Enlightened days.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
PRESIDENT BUYS FINANCIALLY STRAPPED NEWSPAPER IN SECRET DEAL
bruce goose, political correspondant

We have been informed that the President has just bought a Newspaper
(which cannot be named due to possible liability issues), at a fraction
of its value.  We have learned that the founder and original publisher
simply could not keep up with the mounting legal fees associated with
running the enterprise, and was unsuccessful at collecting and enforcing
its own publishing fees, and rather than "go bust", decided to let the
name live on under someone else's management.

Asked what the President plans to do with the new newspaper, and aide
responded: "probably start a campaign to restore the Voting Gnome to
Acka".

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
'ROUND THE EARTH TO HOST THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
malenkai, managing editor

Although the next Presidential election is weeks away, 'Round the Earth
has agreed to host the debate when the time comes.  Given the lack of
organization last time, management has decided to get the ball rolling
well in advance this time around, and provide a neutral forum for the
debate.  More details to come as the time approaches....

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:19:51 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 311 (IdiotBoy) And R1329  

At 11:30 PM 21-10-96 -0400, IdiotBoy wrote:
>I realy, really, really hate to do this.  But I decline, as well.  I don't
>know anything about PartyChess, and I don't think I could do justice by this
>CFJ.

Is this the CFJ-that-will-not-be-decided-for-all-time?

And I cannot believe P1329 passed! Btw, it was supposed to be two rules.
That's why there's a title right in the middle. I guess I didn't make that
very clear.

Anyway, it's cool. Now churches can get money from herertics. Maybe there
should more reasons when someone can become a heretic? What think you?

The W-File Pair? Alien colonization? Oh my. Now all we need is a "Why Pick
The Lesser Evil: Vote Cuthulu" rule.

CnH
who can't believe Mold and Scold actually exist.   :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:35:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka; retracting CFJ 311

I'm retracting this CFJ

Seems no one has the time, inclination, or interest to Judge this.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:39:27 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Poet Laureate stuff

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
> 
> > I wish to pay for these two poems out of my presidential pocket, assuming
> > Malenkai doesn't object.  I  believe I asked first, right Fnord? :) 
> 
> I asked years ago :)  Is this a competetion?  In any case, I will pay 
> for the poem honoring Wayne, and snowgod can pay for the poem honoring
> tinan.  Hows that?
> 
> As for competetion, I'm about to enter the newspaper business.

Hehe.. .I asked the day they left! But yessir, I will gladly pay for 
tinan's poem!  What would you sayy the odd's of getting these two poems 
into the hall of elders somehow are?  perhaps Breadbox can work them into 
his biography?

As for competition in the newspaper business, the more the merrier!

snowgod
busy, but having fun

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:07:12 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Steel Flea Gazette Vol ume 1 Issue 5

STEEL FLEA GAZETTE

- ----------------------------------------------------
The advertising space haunted by Elder Wayne's Undead.
For more advertising information contact the publisher
at [email-masked] or [email-masked]
- ----------------------------------------------------
In This Issue:

### SFG AQUIRES 'IS'
*** UPSTART PAPER PRATTLES HERESY

SFG AQUIRES 'IS'
###

Ackanomic (AckP) - Publishing mogul snowgod, founder of Ackanomic's 
premeir newspaper, clinched a deal with mr cwm today purchasing the Is. 
"Diversification is our main goal here..." said snowgod.  Rumors have it 
that Is will carry alternative information, too controversial to be 
carried in it's larger, parent, publication as well as regular news and 
updates about the shape of the Earth, which is quite flat.

Rumors that Is has been purchased as the first move in an attempt to 
revive our beloved \Voting Gnome appear to be greatly exagerated.  When 
asked, the president said that while no issue is too controversial for 
Is, no editorial space has been alloted to Gnome Ressurection

UPSTART PAPER PRATTLES HERESY
***

Malenkai's Castle (AckP) - An alleged "newspaper" with a title that ought 
get most decent folk burned was distributed throughout Ackanomic today. 
Inital sales were slow, due in large part to the copious quantities of 
heresy contained in the alleged "newspaper". Spouting off such drivel as 
a commitment to report on the obvious roundness of the earth,  and a 
biased piece attempting to lure the weak into believe that the Codex of 
Kra contains heresy, the newspaper infuriated a large percentage of it's 
readers.

"It think it's appalling," said one reader, who wishes to remain 
unnamed.  "burn the Witches!" he added.

Editors Note:

This next space oough include two columns, one by Habeous Corpus, and one 
by our late great Techo, but a recent computer crash led to the 
corruption of these documents.  I humbly apologize.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:08:37 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1336 Fails 

[Once Again I don't have votes for ThinMan.  I looked all over, but
couldn't find a vote on this or the other proposal]

Here are the voting results for : 1336

   Proposal 1336 - Mon Oct 14 22:12 EDT 1996
   Stopping Newspaper Abuse
   /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

5 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

/dev/joe loses 10 points.                    80 -> 70

5 YES votes: 3 Points Each
  /dev/joe                         Vulcan               80 -> 83

  Niccolo Flychuck                 Vulcan               91 -> 94
  Mohammed                                              26 -> 29
  Brinjal                                               60 -> 63
  breadbox                                               2 ->  5

6 NO votes
  Guy Fawkes                       (None Yet)           =  139
  mr cwm                           (None Yet)           =  73
  snowgod                          (None Yet)           =  63

  (None Yet) Unity Vote
  Malenkai                         FUN                  =  200
  Habeous Corpus                                        =  152

1 PRESENT votes:
  IdiotBoy

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN
  Robert Sevin
  fnord

  ThinMan (???)

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon
  Pascal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:08:41 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Acting Tabulator)
Subject: Acka: P1337 Passes 

Here are the voting results for : 1337

   Proposal 1337 - Mon Oct 14 22:14 EDT 1996
   It shouldn't be bad to own the PF bonds of a champion
   /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

10 YES votes   0 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 5 modest points.                   83 -> 88

10 YES votes:
 Guy Fawkes                       (None Yet)           =  139
 Niccolo Flychuck                 Vulcan               =   94
 ThinMan                          Vulcan               =   53
 /dev/joe                         Vulcan               =   88
 Vulcan Unity Vote
 Mohammed                                              =   29
 Brinjal                                               =   63
 Habeous Corpus                                        =  152
 mr cwm                           (None Yet)           =   73
 Malenkai                         FUN                  =  200

0 NO votes

3 PRESENT votes:
  IdiotBoy
  snowgod
  breadbox

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN
  Robert Sevin
  fnord

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon
  Pascal

   Proposal 1337 - Mon Oct 14 22:14 EDT 1996
   It shouldn't be bad to own the PF bonds of a champion
   /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)
   Decision: Accepted

     This is a modest proposal.

     Amend rule 666, section j, by changing "0" to "-15 N, as defined in
     section i, above,"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:23:21 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

The following message was justed posted to the internomic list.  Rather 
than paraphrase the enitre thing, I shall just post it verbatim.  
Note that it contains the results of a CFJ which seemingly 
invalidate two proposals from ackanomic as well as two new 
proposal.  Also, I don't have the times on a couple of proposals 
handy, but I believe senatorial voting is due soon.  Also, just to 
make everything legal, I am initiating a senate vote on the towo 
proposals contained in this report.

snowgod
ambassador

- ---------- Forwarded message ---------- 
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:41:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Andre Engels <[email-masked]>
To: internomic mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Moderator's Report

Internomic official stuff:

Call for Judgement 102 has been judged. Furthermore there are 2 new
proposals. As Judgement 102 says that proposal 311 is illegal, and
implies that proposal 312 is illegal, these have been numbered 311 and
312 again. To avoid confusion, I have added a 'b'. This is not part of
the official number of the proposal.
Thring and Internomic 14 have only 2 days left to vote on Proposal 307.
See the overview below.

======================================================================

Judgement Call for Judgement 102:

> 
> Call For Judgement 102
> Issued by: Agora
> Assigned to: Thring
> 
> Statement:
>    Proposal 311, if it is a Proposal, violates Rule 204.
> 
> Arguments of Caller:
>    Rule 204 says that a Proposal must contain exactly one Rule Change.
>    Rule 106 says that a Rule Change is either creation, amendment, or
>    repeal of a Mutable Rule, or a Transmutation.
>    Proposal 311 contains no transmutation, nor does it contain an amendment
>    of a Mutable rule. Instead it seeks to amend a Rule which is not Mutable
>    (though it may become so later).  Under the current Rules, this is not a
>    Rule Change.
> 
>    Regards,
>    -- elJefe, Speaker of Agora Nomic
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Andre Engels, Moderator.
> 
Thring Judges this Statement "TRUE".

Reasons: One possible mitigating factor might be that Rule 210, "A
rule change takes effect at the moment the proposal containing it is
adopted" is relevant here; but the Judge finds that Rule 204 "Every
proposal shall contain exactly one rule change" means that the rule
change has to be valid at the time the proposal is made. Otherwise, we
agree with elJefe.

Comments: In Thring, we had similar situations; in some cases, the
proposal was considered to be a "proposal to enact", and the enacted
rule would then carry out the specified rule change. It seems clear
that "Proposal" 311, however, is an attempt to amend an Immutable
rule.

Perhaps a suitable amendment to Rule 204 might provide an effective
way to amend immutable rules; otherwise it's going to take a _long_
time.

Luke Schubert, Thring's Liason.

======================================================================

Proposals Currently up to vote
Prop.	by		end of period	voted on by
307	Thring		24 October	Acka, Agora
308	AckaNomic	29 October	Agora
309	AckaNomic	29 October	Agora
310	AckaNomic	 3 November	
311a	AckaNomic	<illegal>
312a	AckaNomic	<illegal>
311b	Agora		4 weeks after today
312b	Agora		4 weeks after today

======================================================================

Proposal 311b
Proposed by: Agora

Amend Rule 210 to read:

A rule change takes effect at the moment the proposal containing it is 
adopted. If the rule change is a rule creation, the rule created gets a
rulenumber equal to the lowest integer equal to or higher than the number
of the proposal that is not the number of an existing rule. For the
purpose of this rule, different rule changes in one proposal are regarded
to take place subsequently in the order in which they are given in the
proposal.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
The text below this line is NOT part of the Proposal.

(to enable multiple rule changes in 1 proposal without running the risk
 of having more than one rule with the same number)

======================================================================

Proposal 312b
Proposed by: Agora

Amend Rule 204 to read:

Every proposal shall contain one or more rule changes.

======================================================================

Moderator Andre

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 06:33:24 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: CFJ 310

I accpet

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:31:02 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka; retracting CFJ 311

Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>I'm retracting this CFJ
>
>Seems no one has the time, inclination, or interest to Judge this.

Gee, Niccolo, I would have judged it.  Me and my A$ 107 -
triple-my-odds-of-of being-judge Purple Robe.  Really.

ThinMan
Malenkai -- Any chance of me getting my old number back
on the judge selection table?  :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:18:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's newspaper.

In the first edition of Malenkai's new newspaper, which I am not naming 
due to liability issues, on at least two occasions he flat-out said the 
earth is round, and implied it in several others.

I consider these statements untrue, and in accordance with Rule 892, I 
hereby ask that a correction be printed.

Guy Fawkes 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:22:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Tuesday, the 22nd day of October, in the Year of Our Lord 
1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I 
have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 4 times.

Guy Fawkes
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:37:17 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka; retracting CFJ 311

I'll have to do with CFJ 310
Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> 
> Niccolo Flychuck wrote:
> 
> >I'm retracting this CFJ
> >
> >Seems no one has the time, inclination, or interest to Judge this.
> 
> Gee, Niccolo, I would have judged it.  Me and my A$ 107 -
> triple-my-odds-of-of being-judge Purple Robe.  Really.
> 
> ThinMan
> Malenkai -- Any chance of me getting my old number back
> on the judge selection table?  :)
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:59:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1333 Passes

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

>> 
>> This is an invalid rule change.  There is no rule 1085 now, it got
>> moved to rule 985.something when the rule suites passed.
>> 
>> /dev/joe
>
>Perhaps the CSRR officer could make this change, as Acka has approved it
>in principle.
>

Perhaps.  Last time this happened, someone said they voted for the
proposal *because* it was invalid.  Any comments on this one?

- -mr cwm
 CSRR Officer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:11:33 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1333 Passes

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, mr cwm wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> >> 
> >> This is an invalid rule change.  There is no rule 1085 now, it got
> >> moved to rule 985.something when the rule suites passed.
> >> 
> >> /dev/joe
> >
> >Perhaps the CSRR officer could make this change, as Ackahas approved it
> >in principle.
> >
> 
> Perhaps.  Last time this happened, someone said they voted for the
> proposal *because* it was invalid.  Any comments on this one?
> 
> -mr cwm
> CSRR Officer
> 
> 
AFAIK the rule change was valid when the proposal was submitted, unless I
got my dates mixed up. Unless someone can make a real good case that it is
valid, perhaps an argument similar to the one /dev/joe made the last time
it happaned, that it is a misspelling the intention of which is clear, the
clear intention being arguable from /dev/joe's above quoted posting, I'll
just submit it again, in a way in which it would be valid anyway.

Before I do so, I see two possibile sensible ways to treat CopyCat/CopyCat
capture.
1. They cannot capture each other (as the alegedly failed proposal
suggested)
OR
2.  A CopyCat can capture another CopyCat using its normal move.

Perhaps a show of hands (I don't care either way, my original intention
was 1, but if some players feel strongly about this...)

Anyway, I don't believe this can be the issue of another paradox win
anytime soon.

Niccolo Flychuck
Cool Cat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:30:22 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1333 Passes

> 2.  A CopyCat can capture another CopyCat using its normal move.

I raise my hand in support of #2!  Of course, you may care to specify 
that exactly how that is accomplished is beyond the scope of the rule :)

snowgod
can a copycat capture itself :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:37:47 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1333 Passes

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> > 2.  A CopyCat can capture another CopyCat using its normal move.
> 
> I raise my hand in support of #2!  Of course, you may care to specify 
> that exactly how that is accomplished is beyond the scope of the rule :)
> 
> snowgod
> can a copycat capture itself:)
> 
>
A CFJ established that it doesn't work that way (at least not
deterministically) - I was asking about which ammendment would be
prefferable

 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:29:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: P1336 Fails + Great Trombone

snowgod wrote:
> Here are the voting results for : 1336
> 5 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> Proposal FAILS
> 
> /dev/joe loses 10 points.                    80 -> 70

This should say "/dev/joe loses 7 points" and my score becomes 73.

> 5 YES votes: 3 Points Each
>   /dev/joe                         Vulcan               80 -> 83

It looks like snowgod forgot about the other score change above.
These three points actually raise my score to 76.

After the scoring changes for P1336, my score was 76, so I am
claiming the Great Trombone of Ackanomia from Somewhere Else.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:02:09 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Whamiol

The high bid for the Whamiol is IdiotBoy's A$166.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:16:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> Also, I don't have the times on a couple of proposals
> handy, but I believe senatorial voting is due soon.

The senate vote is due Wed, Oct 23, 06:05 EDT.  These types of things
can generally be found on the current events page, at

http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackace.htm

I usually update this page every day or so around midnight EDT.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:34:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka; retracting CFJ 311

Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> ThinMan
> Malenkai -- Any chance of me getting my old number back
> on the judge selection table?  :)

Your old number was 22, which came up *all* the time, even after I
changed dice twice.  Recently, you've been 21, and now 21, 25, and 26,
and those numbers simply haven't been coming up.  22 is an undead now.

Unfortunately, I will be dropping down to a 20 sided when the cycle ends,
and I print out a new list.  Perhaps your luck will change.  Overall,
however, you cannot complain.  Consider that /dev/joe joined before you
did, and has been selected less than half as often as you have :)

Malenkai
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:54:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-aDonkey (R5)

Round 5 of Grab-A-Donkey is beginning!  Don't get caught *admiring*
your donkey!  Get your moves in.  The current GAL is below.

It can also be found at: http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackagal.htm

Round Ends Friday, October 25 1996, 19:00 EDT (or so)

The GAL has not changed from round 4.  Everyone convered their donkey
except Niccolo & Calvin, who admired, and snowgod, who grabbed ThinMan's
donkey and was bounced.

Current GAL:
- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain) [[email-masked]]
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis) [[email-masked]]
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin) [[email-masked]]
Habeous Corpus (Ed Graham) [[email-masked]]
IdiotBoy (Matt Miller) [[email-masked]]
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck) [[email-masked]]
snowgod (Phil Ackley) [[email-masked]]
ThinMan (John Bollinger) [[email-masked]]

Malenkai
Wrangler

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:08:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whamiol

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> I bid A$212 for the Whamiol.
> 
> --Mohammed

Current Whamiol high bid.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:14:54 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's newspaper.

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> In the first edition of Malenkai's new newspaper, which I am not naming
> due to liability issues, on at least two occasions he flat-out said the
> earth is round, and implied it in several others.
> 
> I consider these statements untrue, and in accordance with Rule 892, I
> hereby ask that a correction be printed.
> 
> Guy Fawkes

Our editors have received this request, and have referred it to our
legal subsidiary.  We will respond within the game custom of 3 days.

'Round the Earth
Acka's *only* newspaper not afraid of the truth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:25:12 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Presidential

Snowgod wrote on Saturday 19, October 1996:
> Malenkai is said to be guilty of Patent Inringement, and will remain 
that 
> way until I grant him an Appeal for Pardon.  I cannot do this however, 
> until he asks it of me.  I hate to see a player's reputation stained 
for 
> an infringment that was not even a crime when it was commited, hence, 
I 
> request that Malenkai make an Appeal for Pardon.
> 
> President snowgod
> who wonders how that Bronze Torch is holding up in the evidence 
room...
> 

I wonder too. In case you are interested, on receipt of the Bronze
Torch in question, I took the elevator to the 78,913,005th floor of
the Gaol. This took a while, as you can imagine. I then discovered that
the Evidence Room was in fact on the 78,913,23rd floor. I took the
stairs up to the Evidence Room and deposited the Bronze Torch in the
Evidence Room as directed by the rules. Sometimes I know how that poor 
Brass Monkey feels!

I would very much like to check how the Bronze Torch is doing in there,
but finding it again in such a cramped building as the Gaol is not as
easy as it may sound. If its condition is deteriorating due to the damp
or something, I would be powerless to intervene in any case, as I am
forbidden to manipulate the contents of the Evidence Room in any way.

I just hope it hasn`t gone out!

Brinjal.
Gaoler.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:50:49 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 311 (Brijnal)

> Brinjal has been chosen next, and has 3 days to accept/decline.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts

I accept! 

Brinjal.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:45:18 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Grab-aDonkey (R5)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Round 5 of Grab-A-Donkey is beginning!  Don't get caught *admiring*
> your donkey!  Get your moves in.  The current GAL is below.
>

I'm covering my Donkey

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:18:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 307 Verdict

CFJ 307 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 307
  Subject: Newspaper Naming
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: fnord (selected Oct 14, 1996, 12:57h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The owner of a Newspaper whose name is an article, such as those listed
in Rule 703, section 2, sub-section b, must change its name as delineated
by Rule 703, section 3.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

I direct his Judgeship to Rule 703, section 1, which directs that no
2 names shall be the same.  Then to Rule 703, section 2, which defines
how to determine sameness of two names.

Given Rule 703's name, applying Rule 703, section 2, will yield a
discovery that Rule 703's name is identical to a Newspaper whose name
is an article.

Given that, a verdict of TRUE is indicated.  Following that, all players
who own such Newspapers shall change their names in accordance with
Rule 703, section 3.

fnord's Reasoning:

According to Rule 703 Section 2 Sub-sections a and b, to
compare for similarity, you must remove any articles from an
entity's title, then remove anything that is not a letter
or a number.

Doing these actions to mr cwm's Newspaper title, and to
Rule 703's title, both end up with Null Strings, which are
identical.  Therefore, Malenkai's statement is TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:09:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fat Lady

Cycle 8 is over.  It lasted slightly longer than 31 days.

The Fat Lady is singing.  I believe there are limits on her singing
now.

Congratulations to Mohammed on winning cycle 8.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
1) All eggs & fruit are destroyed (encluding those haunted by undead).

2) Mohammed receives a Right-Handed Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak

3) fon, Pascal, and Robert Sevin receive Chartreuse Goose Eggs

4) All players receive their score in cash.  According to my unofficial
financial records, no one's A$ balance is a prime number.

5) All players scores are set to zero, with the following exceptions:
	Bascule: -15
        /dev/joe: -15
        Malenkai: -45 (ouch! where is the Gnome?)
        Mohammed: -15
        Robert Sevin: -15
        ThinMan: -15

        Each of these players also receive a Victory Eggplant

6) fon and Pascal are removed from the game

7) Welcome to cycle 9.

All of my web pages have been updated to reflect the current game state.
For the first time in ages, no one in Acka is on vacation.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:58:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Cycle 8 final scores

The only scoring since my last score report is:
Niccolo Flychuck lost a point for retracting CFJ 311.
P1336: /dev/joe -4, Niccolo Flychuck +3, Mohammed +3, Brinjal +3, breadbox +3
P1337: /dev/joe +7 (modest & short)

The scores at the end of cycle 8 are:

Score   Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----   --------------      ---  -------------
212     Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
152     Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
152     Guy Fawkes           A   (Robert Shimmin)
93      Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
83      /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
73      mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
72      IdiotBoy             A   (Matt Miller)
63      snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley)
63      Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke)
57      fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
55      Bascule              A   (Matt Black)
53      ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
29      Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
17      Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
5       breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
0       fon                  I   (Adrian Smith)
0       Pascal               I   (Jason Reed)
- -16     Robert Sevin         N   (Mitchell Harding)

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #308
*******************************