Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #302
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, October 18 1996       Volume 01 : Number 302

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:49:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1353

Proposal 1353 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:45 CDT 1996
Otzma Cards
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Create a new rule entitled:
"Head of Rule Suite Otzma Cards"

Which contains the following text:
"
[Otzma Cards are a set of entities that can be used to carry out game 
actions. They can be used only once. They can be perceived as Magic style 
cards for Ackanomic, or as Gadgets that can only be used once.]
"

[Otzma Cards Rules.]
{{[this is the suitable phrase]}}

- ---------------------------
Create a new rule member of Otzma Cards Rule Suite, entitled "Definition
of Otzma Cards", which contains the following text:
"

I.
1. Otzma Cards are Protected
2. Otzma Cards can be created only according to the rules.

II.
1. At any given time the number of Otzma Cards in existence may not 
exceed 100

2. Any single player may not own more than six Otzma Cards simultaneously.

3. Otzma Cards are tradable.

4. If a player already owns the maximum number of Otzma Cards and 
receives or acquires an additional Otzma Card, e must destroy, as soon as 
possible, either the new Otzma Card, or one of eir existing Otzma Cards. 

5. If a player receives or acquires an Otzma Card, that cannot be owned 
by that player simultaneously with other cards owned by that player, then 
the player must destroy as soon as possible one or more Otzma Cards, until 
the Otzma Cards e owns meet all the restrictions placed on Otzma Cards.

6. In either of the cases described inthe above subsection 4,5. The 
Player cannot use any Otzma Cards until the Otzma Cards e owns meet all 
the restrictions laid down by the rules. 

III.
1. The RuneMaker can only create Otzma Cards on Otzma-Days. Other
methods  for creating Otzma Cards may be defined by other rules, as long
as the  maximum number of Cards created in any period of 7 consecutive
days is 14.

2. The following entities have the authority to 
declare an Otzma-Day:
the President, the RuneMaker, any Institution.
a proposal which has been accepted according to the rules can also declare
an Otzma Day

3. Otzma-Days must be declared at least three-days in advance, unless it 
has been declared by a proposal. An Otzma-Day 
last for three days or until the RuneMaker has declared the end of 
Otzma-Day, whichever comes first. Once an Otzma-Day is over, at least 10 
days must pass before the next Otzma-Day can start.

4. When an Otzma-Day starts the RuneMaker determines values of the
following:
a. LSAP - Longest String of Accepted Proposals, since the previous Otzma-Day.
On the first Otzma Day, the LSAP is calculated from the begining
of the game of  Ackanomic.
b. MaxCard - the maximum number of cards allowed for given type of 
Otzma Card, for which a maximum is defined
c. LiveCard - the number of cards of a given type of Otzma Cards in existence
d. CrIndex - creation index of for a given of Otzma Card. CrIndex is 
defined as MaxCard-LiveCard. If MaxCard is not defined for a specific 
type of Otzma Card then CrIndex is defined as the average of all CrIndex 
of all the other Otzma Cards.
e. TCrIndex - The total of all CrIndex for Otzma Card types.
f. Other rules may dictate ways in which CrIndex may be increased or 
decreased subject to the following restrictions:
  (i)Such rules can only specify a method that increases or decreases a 
   CrIndex by an integer value. They do not specify an absolute CrIndex 
   value.
  (ii) Changes to CrIndex specified by other rules are calculated after 
      individual CrIndex values for all Otzma Card types have been calculated
      and before TCrIndex has been calculated.
  (iii) Changes specified by other rules have no effect on Otzma Card types
  for which a value of zero has been calculated by section III 4 d of 
  this rule.
  (iv)When more two or more rules change the same CrIndex, the changes 
  are applied on rule at a time, by order of the ordinal numbers of the 
  rules, the rule with the lowest ordinal number is applied first.
  (v) After all changes have been applied the following adjustments are
  made: Any negative CrIndex is changed to zero. An CrIndex which is 
 bigger than MaxCard for that type is changed to MaxCard. Any CrIndex for 
 types that have no MaxCard defined, is changed to the highest MaxCard

5. The maximum number of Otzma Cards that the RuneMaker may create on an 
Otzma-Day  is equal to the largest integer smaller to or greater than 
(LSAP-1)/2. If LSAP is equal to or greater than 10, then the RuneMaker 
must create at least 1 Otzma Card, provided that the number of Cards created 
does not bring the total number of Cards in existence over 100. If no 
Otzma Cards types are defined, or if the restriction on the types which 
are defined make it illegal to create Cards of that type, then the
RuneMaker does not create any Otzma Cards, instead e posts a message to the 
effect that it's too bad e can't create any Otzma Cards.

6. Creating Otzma Cards:
a. There are two method for creating Otzma Cards: Deterministic and
Probabilistic. The first Card created on an Otzma day may be created 
using either the Probabilistic or Deterministic method . Any Other Card
Created by the RuneMaker on an Otzma-Day must be created using the
Probablistic method. If all cards are created using the Probabalistic
method, then e receives 9 probability points. Each Probaility point can be
used by the RuneMaker to increas or decrease CrIndex of any Otzma Card type, 
as long as decreasing a CrIndex doesn't bring it down to zero. The
RuneMaker must publically anounce the method used to create the
Otzma-Cards. The RuneMaker does not have to use all 9 probability
points,if they are used, then TCrIndex must be updated accordingly.

 b. The Deterministic method - The RuneMaker selects an Otzma-Card type
    among the legal Otzma Card types and creates it.

 c. The Probabilistic method - 
 The RuneMaker determines the type of the new Otzma Card by randomly 
selecting a type among the legal Otzma Card types. The probability for a 
given type is equal to  the CrIndex for that type divided by TCrIndex. If 
more than one Otzma Card is created by the RuneMaker, then after each Card 
is created, the CrIndex for that type is decremented by one and the 
TCrIndex is decremented by one.

d. The RuneMaker gives each card a unique Otzma Card ID (OCID). The OCID
is the smallest integer which larger than the OCID of the previous Otzma 
Card created. Each Otzma Card retains its OCID for the entire duration of 
its existence.
The OCID of the first Otzma Card created is 101.

c. At the end of the Otzma-Day the RuneMaker anounces publically the 
following information about each Otzma Card created that 
day: OCID, Otzma Card type.
 He also anounces the begining of an Auction for each Otzma Card. The
Auction is conducted according to R1023 "Auction", except that on those
cases that the Inventor would have been the Acutioneer, the RuneMaker
replaces the Inventor as Auctioneer. This section takes precedence over
the R1023 "Auction". 

IV. Otzma Card Types.
1. Otzma Card types may be defined by other rules which explicitly claim 
that they are defining Otzma Card Types, and belong to the Otzma Card 
Rule Suite.  This rule takes precedence over any rule which defines an 
Otzma Card type 

V.
1. Otzma Cards may only be used according to the rules.

2. Each Otzma Card can only be used once. Once it has been used, it is 
destroyed. 

3. A Player uses an Otzma Card by notifying the appropriate Officer that e 
is using an Otzma Card, and which Card e is using, depending on the type 
of Card. If the Otzma Card definition does not define a specific 
Officer, context, or forum in which the Card can be used, then its use 
must be anounced in the public forum. In any case, the use of Otzma Cards 
must be reported to the RuneMaker.

4. All transaction involving Otzma Cards must be reported to the
RuneMaker.

5. When a player uses an Otzma Card on a proposal, and the proposal is 
retracted, the Otzma Card is destroyed.

6. The results of using an Otzma Card are published by the appropriate 
Officer, along with the name of the Player who used the Card, and the 
manner of its use. 

7. The RuneMaker keeps tracks of all transactions and uses involving Otzma 
Cards, and of all Otzma Cards in existence.

8. A Player can only an Otzma Card that e owns.

9. A player may use at most one Otzma Card per proposal.

10. When a player has used an Otzma Card in a public forum, e may not 
another Otzma Card in a public forum for three days. This section has no 
effect on Otzma Cards used on proposals.
" 

- ----------------------

Proposal to create a new rule entitled "Otzma Card Type Go Fish", which is
a member of Rule Suite Otzma Cards, and contains the following text:
"
1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called 'Go Fish'
2. An Otzma Card of type 'Go Fish' can be used in the following ways:
  a. In a public forum it can be used to nullify an action or an effect
caused by another Otzma Card, provided that the Go Fish Card is played no
more than three days after the Card it attempts to nullify has been
played. The player who plays the Go Fish Card plays the Card by anouncing
that e is playing it, and which Card it is being used on. The anouncement
must non-ambigous. 
  b. A Go Fish Card can only be used on another Go Fish card, if the Go
Fish card it his used on was not used on another Go Fish card.
  c. When used on proposals. A player can use a Go Fish card on a proposal
     by sending a message to that effect to the tabulator. When a Go Fish
	Card is used on a proposal, all other Cards used on that proposal
	have no effect, but they are destroyed anyway. If more than one
	Go Fish Card is used on a proposal, then the effect is the 
	same as if one Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal.
	When a Go Fish Card has been used on a proposal, the date
	of the end of the Voting on that Proposal is considered to the
	date it has been used.
3. This rule takes precedence over all the rules in the Otzma Card Rule
Suite.

{{[This has nothing to do with the time limits between cards. If someone
has one such Card, and uses it on a proposal, this fact is only publically
known when the votes are released. This allows proper tracking of the use
of Cards. If anyone likes, I can draw out the scenarios that would get
complicated if this were not so]}}

{{[For now I am only proposing this Card, which I believe to be very
important. Other Exmples of Cards I already RFCd, I will start proposing
some after this rule is accepted.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:50:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1354

Proposal 1354 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:46 CDT 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece Archer
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitld "Creaion of a PartyChessPiece Archer",
which is a member of the PartyChess Rule Suite, and contains the following
text:
"

1. An Archer is represented by the ASCII Character "A"
2. The Archers move is made up of two parts:
   In the first part the Archer moves either vertically or horizontally a
   distance of d1 squares, where d1 is either 1,2,3 or 4. 
   In the second part the Archer moves a distance of 4-d1 in a direction
   perpendicular to the direction he moved in the first part (in the
   second part the distance can be 0)
3. An Archer capture from a distance. An Archer can capture any opposing
   piece that occupies a square at a maximum distance of 4, either
   vertically or horizontally, or a at a maximum distance of 3 diagonally,
   provided that all the squares between the Archer and the captured piece
   are unoccupied.
   The Archer does not replace the captured piece, but remains on the
   same square it occupied when the turn started. An Archer cannot capture
   using the move decribed in section 2 of this rule.
4. An Archer has a material value of 5

"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:51:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1355

Proposal 1355 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:47 CDT 1996
Public Information
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Create a rule entitled "Public Information" which contains the following
text:
"
1. Any information which an Officer is required to maintain is considered
to be Public information.
2. All Public information is available to any Player on request by e-mail.
It is the duty of Officer who maintains the information to provide the
information to the requesting player. 
3. If any information is available by means which do no require direct
human interference, players are encouraged to first employ those
automatic means.
"

{{[We have been becoming a bit too web-oriented, Ackanomic is a game
played by e-mail, and players who have only e-mail access should be able
to play without being handicapped by not having web access. If anyone
wants to set scripts that will provide the information they are
responsible for maintaining, or even the information other players are
responsible for maintaining, that might make their lives easier in the
long run.  Basically, it's an expansion of the defunct Rule-Buddy
concept. I suppose most players would still refer to the web, or to their
own copies of the rule-set, and other info.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:34:15 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: query

Bascule wrote:

>OK. I've got another problem with it now. Rule 215 says a judge shall
>consider the rules then in effect. This is of course ambiguous (When
>in effect? When it's judged, or when it was submitted?), and I think
>either reading can be taken but not both. In my view, it doesn't
>provide for one subset of rules that should be applied when the
>CFJ is judged, with a different subset that should be considered as
>if they were in the same state they were in when the CFJ was
>submitted. If you get my meaning.
>
I get your meaning, but I don't agree.  In particular, CFJs
279 and 287 establish the customary interpretation of the
rules regarding timing issues wrt CFJs.  It doesn't seem
too unreasonable, however -- CFJ 279 basically says that
the phrase "At the time this CFJ is submitted," is implicitly
prepended to each CFJ statement; CFJ 287 says (very
reasonably) that the rules governing the mechanics of
judging CFJs must always be followed in the form in which
they are in effect.

From a rules perspective, CFJ 279 implies that the
provisions of R215 describe only the method by which a
judge should determine his verdict.  I think that goes to
the heart of your problem with CFJ 279.  R215 would be in
conflict with R101 if it said that judges were at any time
required to act in a way not governed by the rules in
effect at that time, in the form in which they are in effect
at that time.  CFJ 287 follows rather straightforwardly from
R 101 according to that argument.

ThinMan
Bronze Torch holder
wearing the Purple Robe of Justice

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:02:55 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1354

Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>2. The Archers move is made up of two parts:
>   In the first part the Archer moves either vertically or horizontally a
>   distance of d1 squares, where d1 is either 1,2,3 or 4. 
>   In the second part the Archer moves a distance of 4-d1 in a direction
>   perpendicular to the direction he moved in the first part (in the
>   second part the distance can be 0)
>3. An Archer capture from a distance. An Archer can capture any opposing
>   piece that occupies a square at a maximum distance of 4, either
>   vertically or horizontally, or a at a maximum distance of 3 diagonally,
>   provided that all the squares between the Archer and the captured piece
>   are unoccupied.
>   The Archer does not replace the captured piece, but remains on the
>   same square it occupied when the turn started. An Archer cannot capture
>   using the move decribed in section 2 of this rule.
>4. An Archer has a material value of 5

This piece is very powerful, and needs, in my opinion,
a material value of 7 or 8 if it is to be used at all.  Consider
the freedom of movement granted this piece, combined
with unusual capture that does not place the archer on the
square occupied by the captured piece.  The saving grace
of this piece is its fairly limited range for movement and
capturing.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1352

> Proposal 1352 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:40 CDT 1996
> Social Mixers
> snowgod (Phil Ackley)
> 
> Once every three game cycles the senate (as a whole) shall draft up
> friendly messages of greetings and praise, one for each member nomic
> of Internomic, and pass them along to the Ambassador for forwarding
> to the correct parties.

This one I like.

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:03:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1354

ThinMan wrote:
> Niccolo Flychuck wrote:
> >2. The Archers move is made up of two parts:
> >   In the first part the Archer moves either vertically or horizontally a
> >   distance of d1 squares, where d1 is either 1,2,3 or 4. 
> >   In the second part the Archer moves a distance of 4-d1 in a direction
> >   perpendicular to the direction he moved in the first part (in the
> >   second part the distance can be 0)
> >3. An Archer capture from a distance. An Archer can capture any opposing
> >   piece that occupies a square at a maximum distance of 4, either
> >   vertically or horizontally, or a at a maximum distance of 3 diagonally,
> >   provided that all the squares between the Archer and the captured piece
> >   are unoccupied.
> >   The Archer does not replace the captured piece, but remains on the
> >   same square it occupied when the turn started. An Archer cannot capture
> >   using the move decribed in section 2 of this rule.
> >4. An Archer has a material value of 5

> This piece is very powerful, and needs, in my opinion,
> a material value of 7 or 8 if it is to be used at all.  Consider
> the freedom of movement granted this piece, combined
> with unusual capture that does not place the archer on the
> square occupied by the captured piece.  The saving grace
> of this piece is its fairly limited range for movement and
> capturing.

I agree; this was also my first thought when I read the proposal.
This piece has the same material value as the Camel, but is
notably superior.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:20:11 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1354

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> > >4. An Archer has a material value of 5
> 
> > This piece is very powerful, and needs, in my opinion,
> > a material value of 7 or 8 if it is to be used at all.  Consider
> > the freedom of movement granted this piece, combined
> > with unusual capture that does not place the archer on the
> > square occupied by the captured piece.  The saving grace
> > of this piece is its fairly limited range for movement and
> > capturing.
> 
> I agree; this was also my first thought when I read the proposal.
> This piece has the same material value as the Camel, but is
> notably superior.
> 
> /dev/joe
>
If this the only objection, then I'd gladly retract and re-submit with a
higher material value. 
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:30:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1354

In certain large variants of shogi, there is a piece called the shishi, one 
of the most powerful pieces found in any chess-style game.  Its move is 
rather complex, but its most powerful feature is a move called igui -- 
taking a piece without occupying the square.

While this is certainly no shishi, and its special move is not exactly 
igui, I too question a m. v. of 5 for this piece.  Two notes: It appears 
that this piece can move and make the ld capture in the same turn, 
leading to an effective range of roughly 8.  Second: Given the relatively 
slow movement of most pieces in this game (all except qball, bishop, and 
rook), it's pace is not so much of a handicap as first appears.

> Proposal 1354 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:46 CDT 1996
> Creation of a PartyChessPiece Archer
> Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)
> 
> A proposal to create a rule entitld "Creaion of a PartyChessPiece Archer",
> which is a member of the PartyChess Rule Suite, and contains the following
> text:
> "
> 
> 1. An Archer is represented by the ASCII Character "A"
> 2. The Archers move is made up of two parts:
>    In the first part the Archer moves either vertically or horizontally a
>    distance of d1 squares, where d1 is either 1,2,3 or 4. 
>    In the second part the Archer moves a distance of 4-d1 in a direction
>    perpendicular to the direction he moved in the first part (in the
>    second part the distance can be 0)
> 3. An Archer capture from a distance. An Archer can capture any opposing
>    piece that occupies a square at a maximum distance of 4, either
>    vertically or horizontally, or a at a maximum distance of 3 diagonally,
>    provided that all the squares between the Archer and the captured piece
>    are unoccupied.
>    The Archer does not replace the captured piece, but remains on the
>    same square it occupied when the turn started. An Archer cannot capture
>    using the move decribed in section 2 of this rule.
> 4. An Archer has a material value of 5
> 
> 
> "
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  RFC crime, take 2

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, ThinMan wrote:

>
>I have no specific criticism of Mohammed's crime proposal; I just want
>to voice my support.  I have never liked the endemic use of "must" in
>the rules, and I have long been in favor of the kind of approach to
>rule-breaking that Mohammed is developing.  I just haven't had the time
>to work on such a proposal.
>
>ThinMan
>

Will this help sort out retractable errors from unretractable ones as
well?  If it doesn't, this might be the place to give it some thought.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:42:23 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon Acceptance Speech

[Not before time, Brinjal steps to the podium to accept his Silver
Moon and accompanying cheque for A$75. A tear in his eye, he begins
to speak...]

Thank you all. Thank you so very much. I am most touched and flattered,
not to say moved, to receive this award. No, on second thoughts I will 
say moved. Moved. I am deeply moved to receive this Silver Moon. It
is very silvery isn`t it? I only have a maximum of 10,000 words here
so I must quickly get on with thanking all those who made it possible
for me to receive this wonderful silvery Silver Moon thingy.

Firstly I would like to thank Niccolo Flychuck for authoring the Party
Hall Party rule without which I would never have written the Ode To
Ackanomia which you have so generously honoured here today. I also
want to thank Malenkai for writing the Commission D`Arts rule which
led to the creation of this award, and the Frobozz Company for
manufacturing this wonderful silvery Silver Moon thingy I have in my
hands. I am deeply moved honoured flattered and of course touched that
my humble poem was nominated by the senators, to whom I blow kisses 
containing my heartfelt thanks, and I am moved honoured flattered
touched and dare I say flabbergasted yes I do flabbergasted I am deeply
flabbergasted that my humble offering received as many votes as it did.

A special thankyou to those who voted for my Party Hall Party Poem and
also to those who didn`t. The qualities of the other nominations
is not lost on me. Snowgod`s portraiture, Thinman`s Mad Hattery and
fnord`s account of Phoebe`s wisdom all deserve great praise and let
me be the first or at least not the last to so praise them. 

You will see from the tear in my eye and hear from the lump in my
throat how deeply moved honoured flattered touched and flabbergasted
I am. Not to mention grateful. Grateful. There, I did mention it. I 
am deeply grateful to receive this lovely wonderful silvery Silver
Moon thingy, which I dedicate to... well, all of you really. 
Thankyou. And goodnight.

Brinjal.
A definite kleenex case.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:21:11 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  RFC crime, take 2

>
mr cwm wrote:

>Will this help sort out retractable errors from unretractable ones as
>well?  If it doesn't, this might be the place to give it some thought.

Mohammed has taken an interesting approach to the
issue.  He establishes that attempts to perform some
actions simply don't happen at all, which amounts to
automatic retraction of retractable errors.  Other
errors become "crimes" of various types, which may
be penalized appropriately.

The only problem that I see wrt retractable /
nonretractable errors is that in effect, each rule must
state whether a violation is retractable or nonretractable,
using specified terminology.  Now that mr cwm brings
it up, it is worthwhile to attempt to address the issue in
RFC.  A quick hack would be to allow a judge to determine
the criminality of rule violations whose criminality is not
defined by the rules.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:23:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

While carefully scrutinizing my recently acquired Electronic Potato, I 
fell into a sort of absent-minded trance in which it seemed that my 
Potato was the most fascinating thing in the world.  I was helpless to do 
anything but marvel at the reflection of Machine's flashing lights in my 
potato's chromed surface.  At that moment, words began to appear in the 
patterns of lights, but to me they seemed backwards and distorted by my 
potato's curvature.  Alas, though I tried in vain to comprehend, by the 
time I broke from my trance, the lights had stopped flashing, and all I 
could remember was...  

IF AND ONLY IF today **** *** *** ****** ***** ** ****, 
THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

Guy Fawkes
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:17:15 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Re: P1348

Avast ye lubbers! Proposal 1348's Harfy

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:21:00 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Re: P1350

Proposal 1350,  drafted and proposed by the party of the second part
(snowgod) is hereby declared by the party of the first part (the
Harfmeister) to be,  in fact,  Harfy.  This lawful submission now brings
the sum total (inclusive) of Harfy Proposals to three.  Unless this
proposition,  or one or more of the other two,  is retracted,  the limit
on Harfy-declared proposals has now been reached.  

Do not let this discourage anyone from submitting Harfy Proposals.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:42:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harf Bounty

As the author of the first of he recent slew of harfy proposals, I am 
claiming the bounty of 10 A$ offered by Malenkai.  If his offer in indeed 
intact, I am acking it.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:30:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1354

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> In certain large variants of shogi, there is a piece called the shishi, one 
> of the most powerful pieces found in any chess-style game.  Its move is 
> rather complex, but its most powerful feature is a move called igui -- 
> taking a piece without occupying the square.
> 
> While this is certainly no shishi, and its special move is not exactly 
> igui, I too question a m. v. of 5 for this piece.  Two notes: It appears 
Granted.  I'll resubmit. 
Would a material value of 7 be high enough?

> that this piece can move and make the ld capture in the same turn, 
> leading to an effective range of roughly 8.  
No. This is well defined in the PartyChess rules (I still have to get the
hang of the new numbers) Move is one option of play, and Capture is
another. PartyChessPieceDef rules are permitted to describe a method of
Captrue which is different than the Move. This rule does not change that,
and it certainly does not allow for moving and capturiing in the same
turn.

 > Second: Given the relatively 
> slow movement of most pieces in this game (all except qball, bishop, and 
> rook), it's pace is not so much of a handicap as first appears.

Range is still a consideration.  Considering that an Archer would have
roughly the same capture and movement range as il-Nabi, but the distance
capture makes it less vulnerable - ability capture without putting oneself
at risk. OTOH - the standard move/capture combination has its own
advantages. Get a piece out of a tough situation, while simulatneasouly
disrupting the enemy's lines. I see the Archer as a very capable defensive
piece, but the creativity of players is bound to surprise me.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:33:27 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Moon Acceptance Speech

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Simon Clarke wrote:

> Firstly I would like to thank Niccolo Flychuck for authoring the Party
> Hall Party rule without which I would never have written the Ode To

I have a slight correction. While I did write the Party Hall rule, and
most of its ammendments, and was  involved in most Party Hall related
developments to some degree, the specific rule to which Brinjal refers -
"Party Hall Party" is not my creation.

Otherwise - lovely specch Brinjal.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:37:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1344

> Proposal 1344
> Round Earth Restoration Society
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

My fellow flat-earthers:

I have heard it said that some are voting against P1344 because they 
believe the earth is flat.  I, too, believe the earth is flat, and 
let my actions bear testament to my orthodoxy.  My convictions are such 
that I have dueled those who would pervert the true faith, and I have 
fought this dark era of Enlightenment, even to having an Enlightened 
person proclaimed a Heretic (even if it was impossible to burn them for 
it.)  So, let not this proposal speak against my righteousness.

The fact is, I have passed this proposal to give the (my mouth is bitter 
at the mention of them) Round-earthers a means to express their beliefs 
without annoying us with Heretical pratter.  Why, less than two weeks 
ago, Calvin N Hobbes outright procliamed that the Earth is round (damn 
the mere idea) -- and not one of us was moved to burn him.  When the 
Enlightened Heretics can taunt the sons of righteousness, and even the 
un-Enlightened can brazenly ridicule the truth without fear of 
retribution, then what?

I have here given a means for them to act without insulting what we all 
know to be the truth.  If they truly believe the Earth should be round 
(perish the thought), I challenge them to put their money where beliefs 
are.  I do not write this to erode Orthodoxy, but to enforce it.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:51:10 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1354

Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>Would a material value of 7 be high enough?

A mv of 7 is sufficiently high that I would support the
proposal.

ThinMan
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:51:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1348

> The map writer is free to achieve the conditions.  This is considered
> bad form, and the Chartreuse Goose is permitted to sneer.  Furthermore,
> when this happens, the Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the map 
> writer from wherever it is.
	This is the only thing about this proposal that I don't really 
like.  This isn't a serious enough offense to bring the Chartreuse Goose 
in; besides, why not just forbid the map writer from collecting his own 
treasure, or make him or her the initial map custodian?

> A player will never "un become" a map custodian for a particular map
> once they have been one.  Any player responsible for announcing that
> another player has achieved the  conditions will not do so in the case
> of a map custodian (with respect to that map) achieving them.
	"un become" = cease to be?

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:58:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC

RFC
A Simpler Cow Town Fix
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Insert the following at the end of Rule 710, section 5)

"
A penalty shall have a calculated Penalty Weight (PW).  The value of a 
PW shall be the sum of: 1 for every 20 points DEDUCTED (rounded down), 
plus 1 for each day of Gaol SENTENCE, plus 1 for each A$ 20 in FINE or 
TRANSFERENCE (rounded down), plus a whole number from 0 to 5 (Judge's 
discretion) to estimate the value of any entity(ies) involved in TRANSFERENCE.
"

- ----
Insert the following paragraph between the existing 8th and 9th 
paragraphs of Rule 1067.

"
Upon a player's leaving Cow Town, the following shall happen:  If CT, the 
duration of his stay in Cow Town in days, was equal to or greater than the 
Penalty Weight of the most recent CFCJ penalty levied against him, he 
shall return to his house.  If CT<PW, the full weight of that penalty 
shall be immediately levied against him, with the exception that CT shall 
be deducted from the number of days of his Gaol sentence, if any.  If 
this results in a nonpositive Gaol sentence, he shall go to his house 
instead of to Gaol.
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:59:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1354

> This piece is very powerful, and needs, in my opinion,
> a material value of 7 or 8 if it is to be used at all.  Consider
> the freedom of movement granted this piece, combined
> with unusual capture that does not place the archer on the
> square occupied by the captured piece.  The saving grace
> of this piece is its fairly limited range for movement and
> capturing.
	The mere fact that it can capture without moving is worth a 
material value of at -least- 9.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:40:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf Bounty

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> As the author of the first of he recent slew of harfy proposals, I am
> claiming the bounty of 10 A$ offered by Malenkai.  If his offer in indeed
> intact, I am acking it.
> 
> Guy Fawkes

It actually is not intact, as I understand the rules, so I will give
Guy Fawkes and snowgod A$10, which need not be acked.

I have no time to look into this, whether a blanket thing like the Harfy
Bounty could be acked like this, perhaps the Financier, (who obviously
has mountains of time on his hands :)) can look into it.  My gut is no,
I must give it each time.

If P 1348, which is my favorite proposal I have ever written, passes,
I shall rather buffer the Harfy Bounty and give gifts, but that is the
minor part of P 1348.

I ask for support for P 1348.  It has the potential to make the game
alot of fun for me, and possibly other people who have to deal with my
(and potentially other people's) riddles.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:49:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1348

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> > The map writer is free to achieve the conditions.  This is considered
> > bad form, and the Chartreuse Goose is permitted to sneer.  Furthermore,
> > when this happens, the Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the map
> > writer from wherever it is.
>         This is the only thing about this proposal that I don't really
> like.  This isn't a serious enough offense to bring the Chartreuse Goose
> in; besides, why not just forbid the map writer from collecting his own
> treasure, or make him or her the initial map custodian?

Its still his treasure.  Most people who buried treasure did not do so
for altruistic reasons; they intended to obscure the location for others
whilst perserving a map for themselves to retrieve it later.

I wanted to preserve that simulation.  They are basically giving the
money away to promote fun, the sneering of the Goose, and not the actual
receipt of the Goose, is the real penalty.

It is conceievable that they could hit a cash crunch and need their
treasure.  One fun aspect, potentially, is that it may not be possible 
for *them* to meet the condition to get it!

The potentially of the writer retrieving their own treasure is such a
minor part of this rule change that I would ignore it.  If it becomes 
a problem, I will amend it after actual gameplay indicates such.  They
are only getting their own money back.

The people in this game have the class not to write a riddle and
then retrieve the treasure just before another player achieves the
condition.

Malenkai
harfy proposal writer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 01:32:39 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 1354

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > This piece is very powerful, and needs, in my opinion,
> > a material value of 7 or 8 if it is to be used at all.  Consider
> > the freedom of movement granted this piece, combined
> > with unusual capture that does not place the archer on the
> > square occupied by the captured piece.  The saving grace
> > of this piece is its fairly limited range for movement and
> > capturing.
> 	The mere fact that it can capture without moving is worth a 
> material value of at -least- 9.
> 
> --Mohammed

Hardly.  This is a short range piece, and, as I explained in an earlier
post, distance Capturing presents disadvantages as well. 
There are many instances where it would take an Archer two turns to
perform what an il-Nabi, or a Camel f'rinstance can perform in one. Now,
if it could use both standard Captures and distance Captures, then I would
be inclined to agree, but the text of the proposal, as it stands now,
explicitly forbids that. 
The piece is certainly not as powerful as a Rook.
Niccolo Flychuck

 > 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:44:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Witchhunt

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> I order a Right-Handed Screwdriver (which is supposed to be made with
> Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice rather than orange juice, but unless someone
> wants to donate the Grapefruit Juice, I'll be stuck with Right-Handed
> o.j.)  A Right-Handed Screwdriver is a Mixed Drink, naturally.

I make RHG for Mohammed and lend it to him.  I have a feeling he will
be able to make his own shortly :).

In any case, my count of the frinking tab is A$23, and will enter that
figure in the log unless it is disputed (or more drinks are ordered).

Malenkai
we need a functional office of Bartender

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #302
*******************************