Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #301
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, October 18 1996       Volume 01 : Number 301

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:49:29 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Official

A new/old observer has joined Ackanomic.
Jerome Herrman, aka Techno
his e-mail is [email-masked]

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:55:14 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: official New Player (mentor- snowgod)

A new player has joined Ackanomic
His real name is Nicholas Barnard
his e-mail is [email-masked]

He has chosen the  Ackanomic name is Looney!

snowgod has been selected as his mentor.

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:18:57 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Official  - GamesMaster web page

http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/GnC/

Niccolo Flychuck
GamesMaster

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:29:50 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Malenkai

Malenkai,

Just wanted tyou to know that I havn't forgotten about you (or the 
scam).  I had to work a double shift today (and an opening shift manana - 
or today by the ttime you get this i suppose).  In any event, I'll get 
information on my Bond Option racket to you, as well as those gifs I've 
been promising as soon as I get off work tommorow.

Oh, by the way - I am procedeing with my MOObot idea.  With a little help 
from IdiotBoy, I may just be able to pull it off.  It would work good, 
becuase a player would not actually have to log onto the MOO to vote, 
they could do it by email as before... But if they chose to log on, they 
could.  This might also be kinda neat because it would give an incenctive 
to log onto a fully functional (and customizable) chat server that is not 
owned by any other player.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:26:03 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Hall of Elders

I support Techno's nomination

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:32:44 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai

Damn,

i hate it when that happens.

snowgod
who likes to ocassionaly make the private e public

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:02:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re: P1344

At last!  I declare Proposal 1344 Harfy.

As a Flat Earther,  I hope it does not pass,  but it is Harfy.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:57:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

Please send proposal submissions to Guy Fawkes.  He is the Promoter
now.  Sometimes I wonder if people even read my posts :).  I'll try to
keep them short in the future.

Proposals I have received will be forwared to him.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:00:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1343

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1343
> No Scamming during a Crisis
> Malenkai (Randy Hall)

I am retracting this garbage.
Malenkai

Oct 18 09:00 EDT: -2 Malenkai: Retract P 1343

> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Create a new rule reading:
> 
>         It is considered bad taste to scam during a crisis, and
> players are permitted to sneer at this behaviour.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:25:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Witch burning

Having recovered from my sore head, I don my formal forehead and quickly 
gulp down a dry scotch.

Now I have another sore head.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:30:42 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  RFC crime, take 2

I have no specific criticism of Mohammed's crime proposal; I just want
to voice my support.  I have never liked the endemic use of "must" in
the rules, and I have long been in favor of the kind of approach to
rule-breaking that Mohammed is developing.  I just haven't had the time
to work on such a proposal.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:31:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1345

Proposal 1345 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:27 CDT 1996
Reuse and Closet Cleaning
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend R 1298 in the following ways in the order specified:

1) replace all occurrances of the word "senator" with
the word "Officer".

2) replace all occurrance of the word "A" or "a" before the word 
"Officer" with the word "An" or "an", respectively.
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1314 to read:

{{[as it stands now, these entities appear to be tradeable, given
a construction that gives "operational rule words" such as "tradeable"
some sort of higher status than regular english words.  Game custom is
unclear on this, IMO, but I'm in here anyway, so I might as well fix it.

The actual change is based on the fact that the badges should not be
garments.  I would like to wear all of them at once.]}}

The types of entities called Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory are
defined by the rules. Both are Protected; Champion's Cloaks are
non-Tradeable Garments.  Neither may be created or destroyed except as
specified in the rules. 

A Champion's Cloak is a regal garment of the color(s) and design of its
owner's choice, while Badges of Glory are elaborate medals of various
designs. (It is customary, though not required, for the owner of either
of these entities to describe it within 3 days of acquiring it.) 

A player may request to be called, "Exalted One," or the honorific of his
choice while he wears any of these objects. It is not necessary to honor
such requests. 

{{[this clause is also unnecessary, as items are non-mimsy by default.

When a player leaves the game, his Undead, should such a thing exist, shall 
haunt any Champion's Cloak or Badge of Glory that he owned.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:33:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1346

Proposal 1346 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:28 CDT 1996
Unwrangling Grab-a-Donkey
Malenkai

Create a new rule called "Unwrangling Grab-a-Donkey" with the following 
text:

"
      {{Renumber this rule to 1275}}

      {{This rule takes precedence over rule 1276.

      Amend Rule 1276 to read:

      Create a game known as Grab-a-Donkey. The game consists of a
moderator, known as the Wrangler and players, who initially comprise all
current active Players of Ackanomic, not including the Player designated
as the Wrangler, those on Vacation, in Gaol, or otherwise prohibited
from performing Ackanomic actions. Each player in Grab-a-Donkey starts
off with one (1) donkey. 

      The following special equipment is required to play Grab-a-Donkey.
The equipment will be issued from the Game Box at the start of play, and
all equipment will automatically be returned to the Game Box at the end
of the game.
      One (1) donkey per player
      One lariat per player (used to Grab other donkeys)
      One (1) blanket (used to Cover the player's own donkey) 

      The Wrangler may call for a Grab-a-Donkey game at any time, as long
as no Grab-a-Donkey game is currently being played.  If no Wrangler 
exists, the first player to claim to be Wrangler may call for a game
of Grab-a-Donkey in accordance with the previous sentence.  A game of
Grab-a-Donkey may only be called once per calendar month, however.

      The rules of Grab-a-Donkey are as follows: 

      A. When a new game of Grab-a-Donkey starts, all Players of
Ackanomic, excluding the Wrangler, those exempted as noted above, or those
who publically decline participation, will be placed on the Grab-a-Donkey
Active List ("GAL" hereafter). 

      B. Each Round, a player on the GAL will either 
        (a) Cover their donkey,
        (b) Grab another player's donkey on the GAL, 
        (c) Stand Around Admiring their Donkey,
        (d) Resign (this action is only permissible in the first round)

      Unless a player specifies a different choice to the Wrangler in a
private message by the end of the Round, the player will Stand Around
Admiring their Donkey.  Rounds will last no less than one full day 
and no more than 3 full days from the start of the round.  Players may
change their action at any time before the end of the Round. 

      Upon a player resigning, or leaving the game of Ackanomic, their
stated actions that round are disregarded, and they are removed from
the GAL at the start of the next round.  They are considered to have
Covered their Donkey for determining the outcome of the current round.

      C. If exactly one player ("A") chose to Grab another player's
donkey ("B"), and if B did not Cover their donkey, then B will lose
their donkey and be removed from the GAL at the start of the following
Round.  "A" is said to have successfully grabbed "B"'s donkey.  If more
than one player attempted to grab "B"'s donkey, none of those attempts
is successful. 

      D. If only one player on the GAL did not choose to Cover their
donkey, then all other players will be removed from the GAL at the start
of the following Round. 

      E. At the end of the Round, the Wrangler will publicly report what
each player on the GAL did, and determine the results. 

      F. If and when there are exactly zero players left on the GAL,
that game of Grab-a-Donkey shall end. The current Wrangler shall lose
their title at that time. 

      G. If and when there is exactly one player left on the GAL, that
game of Grab-a-Donkey shall end.  That player shall be considered to be
the Belt Holder of that game of Grab-a-Donkey (and shall also have the
title of Wrangler). The Belt Holder shall be awarded 3 Points plus
the number of donkeys he successfully grabbed that round. 
      He shall also have the right to Propose exactly one (1) amendment
to this rule that changes the way the game of Grab-a-Donkey is played.
No player other than the Belt Holder should submit such proposals, and
other players are permitted to sneer at such attempts (and vote them
down).  An exception to this is maintainence proposals, or proposals
whose rule changes would fix bugs or paradoxes, are permitted by anyone. 

$$the clause enclosed in double-dollar signs shall be known as 
"This Clause".  Immediately upon a game state in Acka occurring in
which a game of Grab-a-Donkey is not being played, the player known
as Malenkai when the proposal that created This Clause was distributed
shall lose the title of Wrangler, if he has it.  Then (whether or not
Malenkai lost the title of Wrangler per above), This Clause shall be
removed from this rule. [I don't need to be wrangler again if the
current game ends in a draw.]$$

}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:34:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1347

Proposal 1347 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:30 CDT 1996
Deciphering Duels
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[the following rewrite will make my job easier, and hopefully make the
rules easier to read :)]}}

Amend R 1302 to read:

      1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in
a heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a
duel, subject to the limitations described below. 

      2. The procedure for challenging and conducting a duel is as
follows:
      
      The Challenging player finds another player who agrees to be their
Second. The Challenger gives their Second the name of the player he 
wishes to Challenge, and the reason for the Challenge. 

      The Second posts a public message, which anounces the name of
the Challenging player, the name of the Challenged player, the reason for
the Challenge, and the fact that a Challenge has been made.
      
      The Challenged player has 3 days to find a player who agrees to be
their Second and have the Second respond to the message publically.
The message must contain the following information: The Challenge it
is a reply to, and a Game or Contest chosen by the Challenged player for
the Duel, or an explicit waiver of the privilege of choosing the Game 
or Contest.  If there is no response to the Challenge within the 3 days,
or the Challenged player declines the Challenge, or the response does not
confrom to the rules preceeding, then he is considered to have forefeit
the Duel.

      The Game or Contest (hereafter called Contest) chosen for the Duel
must be one accepted for listing (or listed) on the Games & Contests
web page. Moreover, it must be playable by exactly two players and have
definitive rules for determining a winner.
      
      If the Challenged player waived the privilege of choosing a Contest,
the Challenging player may choose a Contest.

      The duel starts upon the Challenged Player posting his acceptance
of the Duel. [The President, or any other Political Officer, may annouce
the start of the duel, if they wish.]

      When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points
in addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of
the Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to
any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest
itself. The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second 
loses 3 points. 

      The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over
Ackanomic.  However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have
committed themselves in a public message to a certain action depending
on the results of the Duel, then they must perform that action if the
rules permit performance of the action.  Should they fail to perform that 
action, they are breaking the rules.

      3. Whenever a duel is forfeited,  the Challenged player loses 6
points, and the Challenging player gains 6 points.  The Seconds scores
are not changed in this case.
 
      4.  Conditions under which a duel may not be called, or unusual
forfeit and cancellation conditions:

        a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel. 

        b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player
who has been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until
the Duel procedures are resolved. 

        c. A Player who was a Challengee in a Duel, that is, was
Challenged to a Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until the
end of the Calendar month in which the duel ended.

        d. Players on Vacation or in Gaol are Untouchable.

        e. A Player who anounces that he will be going on Vacation on
a specific future date is Untouchable until they return from that vacation,
or for three days if they do not go on that vacation within 3 days.

        f. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures goes on 
Vacation or to Gaol he forfeits the duel.

        g. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player
running for the same Office to a duel. 

        h. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to
a Challenge, is Untouchable until 3 days after the date he has declined,
or until 3 days after he is considered to have forfeit the duel. 

        i. If both the Challenger and the Challenged go on Vacation
simultaneously, then the Duel is cancelled.

        j.  No player may make more than 3 challenges per calendar
month.  No more than 6 duels may be called per calendar month.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule called "Adding Contests", which reads:

{{
      This rule has precedence over all mutable rules.

      Add the following contest, in quotes, to the Games and Contests page:
"
Limerick Contest

1) Equipment: None

2) Number of Players: 

Exactly 2, with the GamesMaster as a referee.  It is permissable for the
GamesMaster to be both a player and the referee at the same time. 

3) Starting an instance of the contest

The Limerick Contest is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules, in
which case the GamesMaster is the referee, or when a sufficient number
of players and referees agree to start and participate in it.

4) Rules of the contest:

Each of the players in the contest writes a limerick about the other
player. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the other
participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not offensive.
The limericks must be posted within 5 days of the start of the contest.
If one of the participants fails to post a limerick, then the other wins
by default.  If neither post, the referee chooses a winner at random. 

Once both limericks have been posted, there is a 3 day voting period.
During the voting period all Ackanomic players may send their vote to
the referee, indicating which limerick is the better one. The participant
whose limerick got the most votes, wins the contest.  In case of a tie,
the participant whose limerick was posted first wins the contest.  In
the case that that does not determine a winner, the referee determines
a winner at random.
"
      
      Add the following game, in quotes, to the Games and Contests page:
"

Boolean tic-tac-toe (Bttt)

1) Equipment: None

2) Number of Players: Exactly 2. 

3) Starting an instance of the game

Bttt is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules, or when a sufficient
number of players agree to start and participate in it.

4) Rules of Bttt:

      (i) The game of Bttt is played on a 3x3 grid labeled in the
      following manner: 

      a  b  c
      d  e  f
      g  h  i

      (ii) At the begining of the game one participant is randomly chosen
by the GamesMaster to play the role of T, the other participant plays the
role of F. The former is known as the T-players, the latter is known as
the F-player.
      
      (iii)
      (a) The symbol ! is the NOT symbol.
      (b) The follwoing comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to T
      !F,!3F,!2T
      (c) The following comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to F
      !T,!3T,!2F
      (d) every symbol is equivalent to itself

      (iv)Participants alternate turns. The T-player always goes first.
The first turn must be played no more than three days after the game has
started.  Every subsequent play must take place within 3 days of the most
recent play. A participant who misses this deadline loses by default.

      (v) There are two possible plays Play and Anti-Play.

      Play - Participant places their symbol, in an unoccupied square.
A Particiapnt may not any of the equivalents of the symbol. 
The T-player may only play T, the F-Player may only play F 

      Anti-Play - An Anti-Play consists of adding the NOT symbol next to a 
symbol already on the grid.  If there is already a NOT symbol next to that
location, then the number next to the NOT symbol is incremented.  If there
is no number then a 2 is inserted between the NOT symbol and T or F
symbol.
      
      If the number next to a NOT symbol is 3 then it is illegal to
Anti-Play in that square.   It is illegal for a participant to Anti-Play
on their own Symbol or any of its equivalents.  Anti-Play is only 
permissible if the other Participant has a winning move in their next
turn. 

      (vi) Winning - A player wins when three symbols in a single column,
row or diagonal are all equivalent to their symbol.  If there is no
legal move and no winner can be determined according to the criteria
described in the previous sentence, the winner is the participant who
has more symbols equal to their own symbol in the grid.  If this still
produces no winner, a winner is chosen randomly by the GamesMaster.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:36:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1347

The text of the earlier message contains a slight error.  Here is the 
corrected version.

Proposal 1347 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:32 CDT 1996
Deciphering Duels
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[the following rewrite will make my job easier, and hopefully make the
rules easier to read :)]}}

Amend R 1302 to read:

      1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in
a heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a
duel, subject to the limitations described below. 

      2. The procedure for challenging and conducting a duel is as
follows:
      
      The Challenging player finds another player who agrees to be their
Second. The Challenger gives their Second the name of the player he 
wishes to Challenge, and the reason for the Challenge. 

      The Second posts a public message, which anounces the name of
the Challenging player, the name of the Challenged player, the reason for
the Challenge, and the fact that a Challenge has been made.
      
      The Challenged player has 3 days to find a player who agrees to be
their Second and have the Second respond to the message publically.
The message must contain the following information: The Challenge it
is a reply to, and a Game or Contest chosen by the Challenged player for
the Duel, or an explicit waiver of the privilege of choosing the Game 
or Contest.  If there is no response to the Challenge within the 3 days,
or the Challenged player declines the Challenge, or the response does not
confrom to the rules preceeding, then he is considered to have forefeit
the Duel.

      The Game or Contest (hereafter called Contest) chosen for the Duel
must be one accepted for listing (or listed) on the Games & Contests
web page. Moreover, it must be playable by exactly two players and have
definitive rules for determining a winner.
      
      If the Challenged player waived the privilege of choosing a Contest,
the Challenging player may choose a Contest.

      The duel starts upon the Challenged Player posting his acceptance
of the Duel. [The President, or any other Political Officer, may annouce
the start of the duel, if they wish.]

      When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points
in addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of
the Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to
any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest
itself. The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second 
loses 3 points. 

      The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over
Ackanomic.  However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have
committed themselves in a public message to a certain action depending
on the results of the Duel, then they must perform that action if the
rules permit performance of the action.  Should they fail to perform that 
action, they are breaking the rules.

      3. Whenever a duel is forfeited,  the Challenged player loses 6
points, and the Challenging player gains 6 points.  The Seconds scores
are not changed in this case.
 
      4.  Conditions under which a duel may not be called, or unusual
forfeit and cancellation conditions:

        a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel. 

        b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player
who has been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until
the Duel procedures are resolved. 

        c. A Player who was a Challengee in a Duel, that is, was
Challenged to a Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until the
end of the Calendar month in which the duel ended.

        d. Players on Vacation or in Gaol are Untouchable.

        e. A Player who anounces that he will be going on Vacation on
a specific future date is Untouchable until they return from that vacation,
or for three days if they do not go on that vacation within 3 days.

        f. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures goes on 
Vacation or to Gaol he forfeits the duel.

        g. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player
running for the same Office to a duel. 

        h. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to
a Challenge, is Untouchable until 3 days after the date he has declined,
or until 3 days after he is considered to have forfeit the duel. 

        i. If both the Challenger and the Challenged go on Vacation
simultaneously, then the Duel is cancelled.

        j.  No player may make more than 3 challenges per calendar
month.  No more than 6 duels may be called per calendar month.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule called "Adding Contests", which reads:

{{
      This rule has precedence over all mutable rules.

      Add the following contest, in quotes, to the Games and Contests page:
"
Limerick Contest

1) Equipment: None

2) Number of Players: 

Exactly 2, with the GamesMaster as a referee.  It is permissable for the
GamesMaster to be both a player and the referee at the same time. 

3) Starting an instance of the contest

The Limerick Contest is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules, in
which case the GamesMaster is the referee, or when a sufficient number
of players and referees agree to start and participate in it.

4) Rules of the contest:

Each of the players in the contest writes a limerick about the other
player. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the other
participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not offensive.
The limericks must be posted within 5 days of the start of the contest.
If one of the participants fails to post a limerick, then the other wins
by default.  If neither post, the referee chooses a winner at random. 

Once both limericks have been posted, there is a 3 day voting period.
During the voting period all Ackanomic players may send their vote to
the referee, indicating which limerick is the better one. The participant
whose limerick got the most votes, wins the contest.  In case of a tie,
the participant whose limerick was posted first wins the contest.  In
the case that that does not determine a winner, the referee determines
a winner at random.
"
      
      Add the following game, in quotes, to the Games and Contests page:
"

Boolean tic-tac-toe (Bttt)

1) Equipment: None

2) Number of Players: Exactly 2. 

3) Starting an instance of the game

Bttt is started as directed by the Ackanomic rules, or when a sufficient
number of players agree to start and participate in it.

4) Rules of Bttt:

      (i) The game of Bttt is played on a 3x3 grid labeled in the
      following manner: 

      a  b  c
      d  e  f
      g  h  i

      (ii) At the begining of the game one participant is randomly chosen
by the GamesMaster to play the role of T, the other participant plays the
role of F. The former is known as the T-players, the latter is known as
the F-player.
      
      (iii)
      (a) The symbol ! is the NOT symbol.
      (b) The follwoing comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to T
      !F,!3F,!2T
      (c) The following comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to F
      !T,!3T,!2F
      (d) every symbol is equivalent to itself

      (iv)Participants alternate turns. The T-player always goes first.
The first turn must be played no more than three days after the game has
started.  Every subsequent play must take place within 3 days of the most
recent play. A participant who misses this deadline loses by default.

      (v) There are two possible plays Play and Anti-Play.

      Play - Participant places their symbol, in an unoccupied square.
A Particiapnt may not any of the equivalents of the symbol. 
The T-player may only play T, the F-Player may only play F 

      Anti-Play - An Anti-Play consists of adding the NOT symbol next to a 
symbol already on the grid.  If there is already a NOT symbol next to that
location, then the number next to the NOT symbol is incremented.  If there
is no number then a 2 is inserted between the NOT symbol and T or F
symbol.
      
      If the number next to a NOT symbol is 3 then it is illegal to
Anti-Play in that square.   It is illegal for a participant to Anti-Play
on their own Symbol or any of its equivalents.  Anti-Play is only 
permissible if the other Participant has a winning move in their next
turn. 

      (vi) Winning - A player wins when three symbols in a single column,
row or diagonal are all equivalent to their symbol.  If there is no
legal move and no winner can be determined according to the criteria
described in the previous sentence, the winner is the participant who
has more symbols equal to their own symbol in the grid.  If this still
produces no winner, a winner is chosen randomly by the GamesMaster.

"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:38:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1348

Proposal 1348 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:34 CDT 1996
Trinkets, Riddles, and Buried Treasure
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule called "Trinkets" which reads:

{{all extant Trinkets are destroyed with no compensation to their
owner.  The preceeding sentence takes precedence over all others in
this rule.}}

A class of Tradeable entities known as Trinkets exist.  Trinkets
may be traded via the same procedures allowed for the trading of
Ackadollars.

Trinkets always have a value in positive A$.  The value of a Trinket
may only be changed as specified by the rules.  The owner of a Trinket
may exchange it for its value in A$ by publically announcing they are
doing so.  This action destroys the Trinket, and it upsets the art and
antiquities communities.

A player may create a Trinket by publically announcing its name, 
description, and value, and by paying its announced value to the 
Treasury.  A player may not create a Trinket he cannot afford the value
of.  Once created, the creating player becomes the owner of the Trinket.

Other rules may also create and bestow ownership of Trinkets, so long
as the rule provides for naming, describing, and valuing the Trinket.

Trinkets have no power to affect any entities except as specified by
the rules.

[What are Trinkets used for?  Adding color, basically.  Allowing gifts
of value other than Prosthetic Foreheads to be given, and for possible
use as Buried Treasure, or other uses.]

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule called "Buried Treasure!" which reads:

A player may bury Treasure by publically announcing that they are
doing so, and by stating what the Treasure consists of.  The Treasure
must consist of one or more tradeable entities owned by that player.
Hereafter, the term "Treasure" means the collection of these specified
constituent entities.

Immediately after this announcement, the player ceases to own the
Treasure; it is considered "buried" or "hidden", and is unowned.

A player who buries Treasure must write a Treasure Map that describes,
at a minimum, the conditions which must be met for a player to "find" the
Treasure.  These conditions may be as simple or as difficult to achieve
as desired by the map writer.  In fact, they may be impossible to
achieve under the current ruleset.  For the purposes of this rule,
"conditions" means 1 or more conditions.  

The map writer is free to disclose all, part, or none of the map 
publically or privately at any time, or drop hints, clues, obscure 
riddles, etc in any manner they choose, even if such is not obvious,
is subtle, or is encrypted [for example, the text of a proposal could
be part of a  Treasure Map, or a riddle, in disguise].  The map writer
should consider the fun and spirit of the game when making such 
decisions [they could always just give the entities away].

Upon a player (who is not a map custodian with respect to the map in
question) achieving  the conditions for finding buried Treasure as
specified by a Treasure Map, it is a duty of the map writer or a map
custodian (if any exist) to make this fact, and the map, public (once
they become aware of the condition being achieved, and final act that
lead to the condition being achieved is publically knowable).  This
action destroys the map, and the player who achieved the conditions
receives the Treasure, and thus becomes the owner of its constituent
entities (which are no longer considered "Treasure").  In the case of
multiple players achieving the conditions before the map is destroyed,
the first to achieve it finds the Treasure.  If the condition is 
achieved simultaneously by 2 or more players, the finder is determined
at random by the Officer in charge of Random Things.

The map writer is free to achieve the conditions.  This is considered
bad form, and the Chartreuse Goose is permitted to sneer.  Furthermore,
when this happens, the Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the map 
writer from wherever it is.

The rules may specify conditions under which a player becomes a map
custodian for a particular Treasure Map.  Once a player becomes a 
map custodian for a particular map, they are not permitted to disclose
anything about the map, or find the Treasure associated with that map,
even if they achieve the conditions, as long as that map is in existance.
A player will never "un become" a map custodian for a particular map
once they have been one.  Any player responsible for announcing that
another player has achieved the  conditions will not do so in the case
of a map custodian (with respect to that map) achieving them.

Whenever a map writer goes on vacation, or leaves the game, they should
give the map to the Speaker (or acting Speaker), who becomes the map
custodian (although for short vacations, they may not wish to do this).
Upon the Speaker going on vacation, they should give the map to the
acting Speaker, etc.  It is possible, and acceptable, for a map to be
permanently or temporarily lost because of players leaving the game. 
Such is the nature of buried treasure.  Players should avoid giving the
map to a map custodian, unless it is in the best interest of the fun
of the treasure hunt (i.e., they are going on a long vacation or leaving).

The map writer is not a map custodian, unless he happens to become one
as specified in the above paragraph.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:40:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1349

Proposal 1349 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:36 CDT 1996
Rama-lama-ding-dong
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

Deep In the rain forest it was doing what it usually does in 
rain forests, which was raining: hence the name.  This rain will cause a
horrible flood to sweep through ackanomic destroying all of the suction
cups that keep us attached to the bottom of the earth is something is not
done. Therefore, on the first of each month  every non-vacationing priest
must post a prayer of deliverance to the public forum.  This prayer must
contain at lest 3 words with 6 sylables, and one line of text that is
"spoken in tounges".

If exactly one priest fails to comply with this rule his house shall lose
it's suction cups and dangle from the bottom of the earth.  If two priest
fail to comply, 5 buildings chosen at random will lose their suctions
cups.  If more than two priest fail to comply, the floods shall destroy
all of the suction cups in ackanomic, causing everything to dangle.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:42:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1350

Proposal 1350 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:37 CDT 1996
Intercarinary Meilinosis
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

An epidemic of insanity is sweeping through Ackanomic.  Though no one 
actually knows who, exactly, is insane, rumors are flying everywhere and 
the Gaoler is trying his best to find out.

If a player has 10 or more of his proposals fail consecutively, and this 
fact comes o the attention of the Gaoler, he may make a public 
announcement to the effect of said player (hereafter known as Tom Fool 
Plum Loco) Ris a danger to himself, and to othersS and then send out Rthe 
nice young men in the shiny white coatsS to detain him. It is considered 
good form for the Gaoler to include copious amounts of legal and/or 
medical mumbo-jumbo in his public safety announcement.

Once detained, Tom Fool Plum Loco shall be placed in a special cell of 
the Gaol, one with padded-walls and a speaker high in the corner playing 
soothing choral music sung, in part, by the Fat Ladies younger sister.  
He shall be questioned daily by the Gaoler regarding the nature of his 
illness, and itUs causes.  he may also be questioned about the the nature 
of his failed proposals and the possibilty that they were inspired by 
RLittle VoicesS.  The Gaoler may ask further questions on various 
subjects at his discretion.  Once again, including legal and/or medical 
mumbo-jumbo will be considered good form.

After Tom Fool Plum Loco has been detained for three days, the Gaoler 
shall mnake another public safety announcement, this one containing the 
results of his interrogations. This announcement should include a decent 
amount of the above mentioned mumbo-jumbo and the GaolerUs impressions of 
Tom Fool Plum LocoUs state  of mind.

After this final public safety announcement is made. the Gaoler has 24 
hours to release Tom Fool Plum Loco from the gaol.  If in the GaolerUs 
view, Tom Fool Plum Loco was RinsaneS or RdisturbedS or possibly Rhearing 
voicesS, he may bill Tom Fool Plum Loco up to A$50 for services 
rendered.  If the Gaolerm feels that the detained player was not 
RdisturbedS, etc. after all he should publically apologize for the 
inconvenience, once again including the mumbo-jumbo bit.

This rule includes some legal mumbo-jumbo of itUs own, namely: it claims 
precedence over other mutable rules, in as much as it allows for an 
alternate procedure for placing players in the Gaol.  For the purposes of 
this rule, a streak of consecutive failures is considered to end once a 
player has been detained.  Proposals that failed due to quorum do not 
count for the purposes of this rule.  

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:43:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1351

Proposal 1351 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:39 CDT 1996
Banana Tree Transfer
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

Amend R27 to read in full:

{{A voice spoke to me from beyond the grave, and said that the Amber 
Banana tree should fall into my hands, where it is once again useful}}

Any player whose proposal number, when having its digits added together, 
equals exactly 21 [ex. prop 777], shall have the right to purchase one 
Amber Banana from snowgod's Amber Banana Tree. The price for one Amber 
Banana shall be A$10., payable to snowgod. Upon purchase of the Amber 
Banana, the player may publicly announce that he is eating the Amber 
Banana as "cows eat grass". Upon eating the Amber Banana, said player 
shall inform snowgod how he should vote on the proposal that earned the 
player the right to the Amber Banana in the first place. [in effect, 
purchasing one vote from snowgod]

The Amber Banana, and the tree it grows on, are protected, and can only 
be destroyed by Acid Rain.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:44:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 1352

Proposal 1352 -- Fri 18 Oct 8:40 CDT 1996
Social Mixers
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

Once every three game cycles the senate (as a whole) shall draft up friendly messages 
of greetings and praise, one for each member nomic of Internomic, and pass them along to the Ambassador for forwarding to the correct parties.

These messages must include an explination of why they are being sent. 

If the senate feels that it has nothing friendly to say to another nomic, 
then it may request permission from the Ambassador and the President to 
not write a letter to the nomic in question.  If the Ambassador and the 
President concur that the letter need not be sent, the senate is excused 
from that responsibilty.

{{For the purposes of this rule, we are in the first in a series of three 
game cycles}}

 

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #301
*******************************