Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #294
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, October 14 1996       Volume 01 : Number 294

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:52:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Elders

Habeous Coprus adds eir vote to enshrine this is not a name in the Hall
of Elders.  I have thouroughly enjoyed eir time in Ackanomia and e will
be missed.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:52:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Censorship

I find it strange,  even for our esteemed President,  that the manner in
which we choose to discourage censorship,  is to censor one of the
greates pieces of literature produced in this century.  I for one urge
snowgod to retract this piece of non-silliness.  I further urge all
Ackanomians to immediately run to the Library or nearest bookstore and
get a copy of Farenheit 451.  

Habeous Corpus
will shoot the first Fireman e sees on eir city street

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:30:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: getting it in while I still can

Dandelion Wine

Guy Fawkes
wasting bandwidth

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:37:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

Mitchell Harding wrote:
 
> I hereby return from vacation.
> 
> Wayne, I'm going to miss you. You were a great asset to Acka...

> >I hereby donate any other possessions that I may own to the first player
> >that publically agrees with me that the EARTH IS ROUND.

Those remaining possessions that are tradeable are A$280.  The financial
accounts will be updated.
 
> I hereby publically agree with Wayne that the Earth is round.

I hereby call a witchhunt on Robert Sevin for this blatant heresy!
Consider this the announcement of the start of the witchhunt as well.
 
> Robert Sevin

Who should sign all messages with "Wearing a silly vacation hat" :)

Malenkai
Welocme Back!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:42:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wayne

> Wayne's Will
 [...]
> I hereby give /dev/joe A$100 for everything he has done.  He is the only
> player to submit proposals just how I asked, never needing any editing.
> Also I would like to thank him for setting up and running the mailing
> lists.

I accept the above transfer.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:04:14 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (IdiotBoy)

Niccolo failed to post what Phoebe says.  Her matchbox has been found 
by IdiotBoy

Oct 13 23:03 EDT: -3 Niccolo Flychuck: Failed to post Phoebe's wisdom

Malenkai
speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:15:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: SOme notes on props

I'm working on the scoring for the voting results on proposals 1293-1318
(P1319-1326 still have time left in their voting periods).

A couple things I noticed on my first pass through the results:
P1293 was retracted, so the voting results should be ignored.
P1304 passed, taking away "NO" party unity votes.  Thus, there was
no Vulcan unity NO vote on P1306, and it passes 9-4.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:23:58 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Goodbye

I hereby remove the wonderful forehead that snowgod gave me and bury 
it in my backyard.

Next, I transfer A$318 to snowgod so that he may purchase beverages 
for everyone in the future.

And all PF bonds held by me a transfered to snowgod, may they reap 
large dividends for him.

With that done, upon acks of the above transactions, I will no longer 
be a player in this harfiest of games.  The loss of Wayne is just too 
much for me to bear.  Good luck to you all.

Techno
The earth is definitly ROUND.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:24:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Purple Robe Auction

The Purple Robe of Justice, created by R 1313, is now being 
auctioned.  This is a private auction, meaning you send bids to
me, but I do not publish updates.

Bids will be taken for 3 days.

Later, I will publish a list of what is going on, because a lot is,
all of the sudden.

Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:39:20 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Elders (again)

It is with a very heavey heart that I second the nomination of Wayne to
the Hall of Elders.  If there were a greater reward e could carry with
em,  I would Propose it.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 00:04:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Patent Infringement

In accordance with R 1300 I am taking the following actions:

1) I am delivering my Bronze Torch to the Gaoler to be placed in
the Gaol's evidence room.

2) I am buying the following Prosthetic Forehead, which I shall 
give the the Inventor:

It is a non-descript shade of Chartreuse.  In the middle of 
it is a large Loophole.  The Loophole in encircled by a ring of
red.  Extending from the upper-left quadrant of the circle
to the lower-right, along one of the circle's diameters, is a line
of red.

4) In accordance with R 1033, I am giving myself a Bronze Torch.

Malenkai
Guilty of Patent Infringement

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 00:30:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: G & C 102

G&C Proposal is hereby distributed.  I endorse it, it therefore needs
4 more endorsements to be accepted.

[I did not invent this.  I do not remember where I learned it to give
proper acknowledgement.]

Malenkai
Acting GamesMaster
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
G&C Proposal 102
Game of Pure Skill
Malenkai

New game to be added to the Games and Contest page.

The gist of the Game of Pure Skill is that each of 3 players are given
a suit in a deck of cards, and the referee is given the remaining suit.
Cards are flipped at random from the referee's suit, and players bid
on them from the cards in their pack.  The object is to win the highest
point total (not quantity) of cards, through strategic bidding.  This
game has also been called "How much would you bid for the Three of
Spades?"

1) Equipment: 

The game uses one Legacy Deck (deck) without the optional cards, and no
equipment from the General Equipment Section.

2) Number of Players:

The game has exactly 3 players and 1 referee.

3) Starting an instance of the game:

The game is started upon the required number of players and
referees nofitying the GamesMaster of their intent to start a Game
of Pure Skill, and the GamesMaster publically announcing the start
of the game, or as directed by other rules.

4) Rules of the game:

4a) The deck is divided into its 4 suits.  The spades are given to
the referee, and each player receives one of the other suits.  Each
of these is called a "pack".

4b) Each card has a value, independent of suit.  The value of an Ace
is 1, a King is 13, a Queen is 12, a Jack is 11, and all other cards'
values are their numeric values.

4c) A game consists of 13 rounds.  A round lasts for 3 days or until
all players have submitted their moves to the referee, whichever comes
first.

4d) A round starts by the referee choosing a random card from his pack
of spades, and announcing the card chosen to each player.  This card
is called the "prize" for that round.

4e) Each player then submits a "bid" of one card from their pack, by
announcing their choice privately to the referee.  If a player fails
to submit a bid by the end of the round, the referee chooses a card
randomly from their pack as their bid.  Players are discouraged from
failing to bid.  The value of a bid is the value of the card used to
make the bid.

4f) The referee resolves the round as follows.  If a single bid submitted
is higher than the other bids, the player who submitted the bid receives
the round's prize for his "take" pile.  If no single bid is highest, the
prize card is discarded and removed from play.  Regardless of the outcome
of the bidding, all cards used for bidding are discarded and removed
from play.

4g) The referee announces the results of the round to all players, and
announces all cards used as bids.  This ends the current round.  The
next round can then start in accordance with 4d), unless the 13th
round has ended, in which case the game ends.

4h) Upon the game ending, the value of the cards in each player's take
pile is totaled.  The single player with the highest total is the winner
of the game.  If there is no single player with a highest total, then
the game has no winner.  If a player has no cards in their take pile,
their total value is zero.

5) Upon a winning condition being met and a winner being declared, the
winner receives 8 points, and the referee receives A$8.

6) The referee should, but is not required to, keep a web page of the
state of the game, and the history of each move.

7) Players may not discuss or collude on strategy or bids.

8) If a player leaves this game, or the game of ackanomic, while this
game is in progress, they will be replaced by a bot who plays randomly,
as managed by the referee.  Any bots are not considered players for
the purposes of clause 4h)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 00:45:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Champion's Cloaks

In accordance with R 1314, the following players are awarded
Champion's Cloaks:

Bascule
/dev/joe
Malenkai
Robert Sevin
ThinMan

From R 1314:

> It is customary, though not required, for the owner [...]
> of these entities to describe it within 3 days of earning it.

Malenkai
making more work for everyone, including himself

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #294
*******************************