Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #291
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, October 13 1996       Volume 01 : Number 291

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:35:27 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: It's snowing

Okay,

forgive me if this is far off topic, but I had to share my joy with 
everyone.  I woke up this morning to fin 6 inches of snow on the ground, 
with another 12 inches predicted before tonight.

Remember, unless you are in the southern hemisphere (would on of the 
scientists care to explain hemispheres on a plat earth?) winter is right 
around the corner.

snowgod
happy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:47:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: It's snowing

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> Remember, unless you are in the southern hemisphere (would on of the 
> scientists care to explain hemispheres on a plat earth?) winter is right 
> around the corner.
> 
> snowgod
> happy

If hemispheres exist, it is possible that they are not indeed part of the 
earth.  Perhaps there are two places in the Wilds of Ackanomia, one in 
the south, and one in the north, where enormous tethers stretch down into 
the sky.  And perhaps they are remnants of the time when the 
Acka-ancients walked the earth, a time when the earth was indeed round, 
as is obviously not the case today.  And perhaps at some time in the 
indeterminate past, a great cataclysm shook the then-spherical earth, 
causing it to crack into three pieces.  The central piece was flat, and 
is what we now call the earth today.  The two lost pieces of the earth 
(the hemispherical ones) fell down into the sky until caught by their 
tethers, resulting in great earthquakes which brought down the Acka-ancient 
civilization, and today, these two hemispheres still dangle from the 
earth by their emergency tethers, one in the south, and one in the north.

Guy Fawkes
(do we consider geography part of physics here)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:09:43 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forheads

At 10:38 PM 11-10-96 -0800, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
>I am trading a rock for a forehead with the following characteristics:
>
>It is a lovely forehead that is (amazingly enough) the same size 
>and shape as the normal forehead of it's owner.  Contained on this 
>forhead is a replication of a "globe" - a charming device that I have 
>seen during my travels as ambassador.  This "globe" thingee depicts the 
>earth as if it were a perfect sphere, a concept which I cannot fathom.
>
>Mr Hobbes,
>
>I, like you, used to believe in the roundness of the earth, but I have 
>changed my evil ways.  The earth is obviously flat - the rules tell us 
>so.  This fascinating discussion of AckaPhysics (and I like the fractal 
>bit) has been spurred in large part by the flatness of the earth and the 
>possible discovery of pressure as a universal force.  I do not believe 
>that the flatness of the earth can even be contested.
>
>That being said, I transfer my newly created forhead to Calvin N Hobbes, 
>who though misguided obviously stands for what he believes in.

I am impressed by your cunning way to go around it. It is the most
interesting gift you could have found and I thank you deeply. I ack the
transfer.

Thanks. And congratulations.
Calvin "my forehead is round not flat" Hobbes
bowing before the god of snow, master of Acka at last

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:28:03 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: It's snowing

At 01:47 PM 12-10-96 -0500, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
>> Remember, unless you are in the southern hemisphere (would on of the 
>> scientists care to explain hemispheres on a plat earth?) winter is right 
>> around the corner.
>
>If hemispheres exist, it is possible that they are not indeed part of the 
>earth.  Perhaps there are two places in the Wilds of Ackanomia, one in 
>the south, and one in the north, where enormous tethers stretch down into 
>the sky.  And perhaps they are remnants of the time when the 
>Acka-ancients walked the earth, a time when the earth was indeed round, 
>as is obviously not the case today.  And perhaps at some time in the 
>indeterminate past, a great cataclysm shook the then-spherical earth, 
>causing it to crack into three pieces.  The central piece was flat, and 
>is what we now call the earth today.  The two lost pieces of the earth 
>(the hemispherical ones) fell down into the sky until caught by their 
>tethers, resulting in great earthquakes which brought down the Acka-ancient 
>civilization, and today, these two hemispheres still dangle from the 
>earth by their emergency tethers, one in the south, and one in the north.
>
>Guy Fawkes
>(do we consider geography part of physics here)

I like it! That could be a very useful piece of history to include in Acka
lore and history.

Btw, snowgod, even for the fact that the earth is flat (I am really saying
this?!?!) one should note that the seasons could still occur exactly the same.

Two cases. First, the sun is the one to revolve around coin-flat Acka. When
the sun shines on the other side of the "coin", it's night for us. But there
is nothing preventing the coin having a rotatory motion on an axis that is
at 15-35 degrees from the plane of rotation of the sun. Now take a coin
(yes, take one) and move your finger (the sun) around the coin. Then start
to rotate the coin, maiking sure it's axis is not parallel with the plane of
the sun's rotation. It is now clear that depending on the rotation of the
coin, parts of the coin are getting closer and further away from the sun. So
the seasons change. Please note however, that some parts of the coin can
have no change of seasons (center for example).

The other case is if the Acka coin is the one going round the sun. Again put
your finger in front of you and move a coin around it, with it's axis of
rotation always pointed at 15 degrees and away from you. As the coin rotates
and turns around the sun, certain parts are again closer than others to sun
at different times of the rotation. More change in seasons.

Calvin "Nostradamus" Hobbes
who had a dollar coin sitting on top of his computer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 11:28:28 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forheads

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, T Joffrain wrote:

> At 10:38 PM 11-10-96 -0800, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
> >I am trading a rock for a forehead with the following characteristics:
> >
> >It is a lovely forehead that is (amazingly enough) the same size 
> >and shape as the normal forehead of it's owner.  Contained on this 
> >forhead is a replication of a "globe" - a charming device that I have 
> >seen during my travels as ambassador.  This "globe" thingee depicts the 
> >earth as if it were a perfect sphere, a concept which I cannot fathom.
> >
> >Mr Hobbes,
> >
> >I, like you, used to believe in the roundness of the earth, but I have 
> >changed my evil ways.  The earth is obviously flat - the rules tell us 
> >so.  This fascinating discussion of AckaPhysics (and I like the fractal 
> >bit) has been spurred in large part by the flatness of the earth and the 
> >possible discovery of pressure as a universal force.  I do not believe 
> >that the flatness of the earth can even be contested.
> >
> >That being said, I transfer my newly created forhead to Calvin N Hobbes, 
> >who though misguided obviously stands for what he believes in.
> 
> I am impressed by your cunning way to go around it. It is the most
> interesting gift you could have found and I thank you deeply. I ack the
> transfer.
> 
> Thanks. And congratulations.
> Calvin "my forehead is round not flat" Hobbes
> bowing before the god of snow, master of Acka at last

Thank you for the congratulations, and i am glad you like your new 
forehead.  Now, could you explain to me how this globe thing works?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 15:06:46 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forheads 

At 11:28 AM 12-10-96 -0800, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
>Thank you for the congratulations, and i am glad you like your new 
>forehead.  Now, could you explain to me how this globe thing works?

If you are asking how a round world would explain the observable universe,
then I would have to refer you to an ancient text, stored in the very dusty
underground of our Librairy. No one goes there much these days, save for a
few heretics. The book is called "Galaxia Astronomica" and can be found in
the archives room, shelf Gaa-Gak, row 42, shelf 4. The books there are very
fragile.

If I may use Acka history, a globe is the primordial shape of Acka. The
ancient ones dwelled there and lived happily among the old laws of physics,
time and space, writing great works such as "Relativity" (row 189, shelf 2).
Unfortunately, an over eager scientist found the key to controlling space
and time (they were very advanced) and could not resist altering some True
Constant. Acka was flatened by the process Guy Fawkes describes and the
entire Universe threatened. To save both themselves and the Universe, some
of the Ancient Ones fled to the Outer Galaxies near Infinity (where our
prison facility disapears from view), while some asked asylum with the
Fractal gods of mathemtics. Many perished.

It is said, however, that the Ancient Ones will come again to share with the
world their knowledge, at the end of all time when Acka is once again made
round.

A small group are awaiting their return, and believe the Great Change has
already taken place. As proof, they point to the fact that many great
artifacts that were once just legend are now returning to Acka, with more on
the way. The earth may not yet be fully round but... it has begun.

Calvin "Nostradamus" Hobbes
who is having far far too much fun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 15:29:41 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Forheads 

>underground of our Librairy. No one goes there much these days, save for a

I could not spell "library" in english to save my life. "Librairie" is what
keeps coming to mind. Apologies. I wonder how I'd actually spell it in
french if I needed to write a it... "librarie"? Argh.  :)

Calvin "bad cultural hybrid" Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:02:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: It's snowing

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Guy Fawkes
> (do we consider geography part of physics here)

If Codex of Kra is accepted, it would fall under "description of the
physical world".

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:12:39 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 306 (snowgod)

snowgod has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 306
  Subject: Effects of the P 1108 amendment of R 710 on past CFCJs
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: snowgod (selected Oct 11, 1996, 00:41h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

At the time of this writing, only four CFCJ's have ever been
ruled upon.

Guy Fawkes's Reasoning:

Rule 710 clearly states, regarding a CFCJ:

        Its "statement" shall be "X has broken the Rules", where X is
        replaced with the name of a resitered player.

Only four of the so-called CFCJ's filed yet, to wit, 112-115, follow this
required syntax.  The others have as their statements variations on "X
has violated Rule 101."  They may have very well been CFJ's, and validly
ruled upon as such, but they were not CFCJ's, and should have had no
punitive repercussions as such.  Indeed, X may have violated Rule 101,
and this statement may have been judged true by the courts, but at that
point, the rules essentially dictate no further action to be taken unless
a follow-up CFCJ was filed, which never happened.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:32:47 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 306 (snowgod)

I accept judgement on this CFCJ and will return my verdict shortly.

snowgod

> Clerk of the Courts
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 306
>   Subject: Effects of the P 1108 amendment of R 710 on past CFCJs
> Initiator: Guy Fawkes
>     Judge: snowgod (selected Oct 11, 1996, 00:41h EDT)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 14:35:38 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 306 (snowgod)

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> I accept judgement on this CFCJ and will return my verdict shortly.

Oops, strike that.  i accept judgement on this CFJ.

snowgod
snow little to do, and so much time

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 20:53:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 306 Verdict

CFJ 306 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 306
  Subject: Effects of the P 1108 amendment of R 710 on past CFCJs
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: snowgod (selected Oct 11, 1996, 00:41h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

At the time of this writing, only four CFCJ's have ever been
ruled upon.

Guy Fawkes's Reasoning:

Rule 710 clearly states, regarding a CFCJ:

        Its "statement" shall be "X has broken the Rules", where X is
        replaced with the name of a resitered player.

Only four of the so-called CFCJ's filed yet, to wit, 112-115, follow this
required syntax.  The others have as their statements variations on "X
has violated Rule 101."  They may have very well been CFJ's, and validly
ruled upon as such, but they were not CFCJ's, and should have had no
punitive repercussions as such.  Indeed, X may have violated Rule 101,
and this statement may have been judged true by the courts, but at that
point, the rules essentially dictate no further action to be taken unless
a follow-up CFCJ was filed, which never happened.

snowgod's Reasoning:

When CFCJ's 101-110 were called, R710 read "Its 'statement' shall be
'Player X has violated R101', where X is replaced with the name of a
registered player."  CFCJs 101-108 and CFCJ 110 all take this form, and
are valid CFCJs.  CFCJ 109 did not follow this form, and was found to be
invalid by it's judge.

Since the rules were followed in the form that they were then in effect,
i am returning a verdict of FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 20:59:17 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Witchhunt

The voting results of the witchhunt called on /joe/dev are:

BURN THE WITCH! 
     IdiotBoy
     Mohammed
     Guy Fawkes
     Habeous Corpus
     Uncle Sam
     snowgod

No! e said the earth is flat
     mr cwm

Witchfinder General

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:31:12 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Wayne

Oh where, oh where has our tabulator gone? Oh where of where can he be?

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:40:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wayne

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> Oh where, oh where has our tabulator gone? Oh where of where can he be?
> 
> snowgod
> 
With his ears cut short and his tail cut long, oh where oh where can he be?

Guy Fawkes
wasting bandwidth

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #291
*******************************