Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #289
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Saturday, October 12 1996      Volume 01 : Number 289

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:51:58 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Relativity 

At 12:32 PM 11-10-96 -0500, Bollinger, John C. wrote:
>CnH forgets that the second law of thermodynamics is not
>binding on Ackanomic entities, as it is not in the Rule set.
>Destroying a R115 entity can _always_ be done in Acka,
>under the Rules in their present form.

"But", he asks softly, "can't I use an R115 action to bring it back?"

>This does not, however,  prevent CnH from changing the 2nd law
>(in Acka) as he specified.

And Thinman will quickly use this to make a good point.

>Prisoners will be disappointed, I'm afraid.  It seems that every
>copy of the book spontaneously reverted to logs, ink, and live
>cows (it seems the books were leather-bound).  Some additional
>matter was required, but it was generated by spontaneous energy
>to matter conversion of most of the heat in the gaol walls.

Touche. I really need to have the 2nd law fixed and give myself a non
definitive frame of reference so that I can make any law of physics be what
I want them to be, whenever I want. That would actually be interesting.

Lifting an object? No. CnH simply inverts the gravitational force around the
object which float up to him. etc... I think I will patent this use of R115.
;)

Calvin "supradimensional" Hobbes
who is considering raising the speed of light on all highways

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:17:17 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President, etc. 

At 10:23 AM 11-10-96 -0400, mr cwm wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, CnH wrote:
>>>>The goal as a fractal perimeter is still the better option.
>
>I've thought about the fractal perimeter gaol over night, which is about
>long enough for me to decide to expose my ignorance.  Are the cells
>2-dimensional areas bounded by the perimeter, or are they 1-dimensional
>segments along the perimeter?  Granting the aesthetic advantage of the
>fractal gaol, if 2-D do the cells have another advantage over the
>geometric series gaol, or if 1-D do the cells have another advantage over
>a rectangular gaol where the cells are line segments with the height of
>the rectangle all laid side by side?

The fractal we would use would be a pure mathematical representation. There
is no limit on what dimensional shape you wish to give to your fractal.
Please note, however, that in all cases the points on the perimeter are so
small as to tend toward nothing (never getting there, although there for all
intents and purposes).

Basically, I make use of the fractal only as a gateway to a mathematical
universe (which has no restrictions, it's an inifinite set by definition).
Let me give examples.

Say the fractal map (cell locator) is a 2 dimentional board that's 2 by 2
meters. There is a fractal represented on it. This map has a "zoom factor",
which allows us to represent the perimeter (otherwise we'd need an infinite
map). Now, when you click somewhere on the map, let's say 3.568 x 77.8i, the
number is definitive. Accessing it opens the gateway to the mathematical set
of numbers, at that specific coordinate of the fractal, and that's where the
prisoner is put.

Getting the prisoner out is simple. Just plug the number back into the
fractal equation, the map zooms in to that area and you just access it.

To give you an idea of how the zoom allows the goaler to have an infinite
number of goals to choose from, keep in mind that the fractal is infinite.
You can zoom in as much as you want. When you start, the scale may be from
0_100 by 0_100 units along with resolution 1. But after a few zooms, you may
be looking at the cell from -1.5867356457_-15867356557 and the likes, with
resolution 0.00000000001.

Interestingly, the goaler could spend an infinite amount of time zooming in
to find a goal to store the prisoner in. I guess this would also happen with
any form of the goal actually, but the fractal one does mean a lot less
walking.   ;)

Calvin "mathematikgate" Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:59:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web stuff

> I have had a complaint that my page at
> 
> http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayp.htm
> 
> is too wide, in fact, 3 screens wide.  Is anyone else having this
> problem?  If so, could you tell me your browser, version number, and
> operating system, and where the page is cut off.

It looks fine under lynx, the only web browser that matters. :)

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 20:05:33 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Returning from vac.

I am now back from vacation. A little later than intended.
Thanks to Robin Hood/Malenkai for acting as NAP swinger in
my absence. 
Brinjal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:10:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Webstuff

Page looks good under IE3.0, despite protestations from those who use
other, inferior, products.

Why does everyone think snowgod has 25 PFGuy, when he sold them to me?

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:10:31 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web stuff

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > I have had a complaint that my page at
> > 
> > http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayp.htm
> > 
> > is too wide, in fact, 3 screens wide.  Is anyone else having this
> > problem?  If so, could you tell me your browser, version number, and
> > operating system, and where the page is cut off.
> 
> It looks fine under lynx, the only web browser that matters. :)
> 
I use netscape 2.02 on a Mac, and the bronze torch hangs off the side on 
the index of pictures at the start.  I have a my web browser configured 
to take up the same amount of screen real estate as a 14 inch monitor would.

If you would like a screen shot let me know, and I will send it to you.

snowgod
running for president

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:20:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

IdiotBoy wrote:

> Why does everyone think snowgod has 25 PFGuy, when he sold them to me?

If snowgod concurs that this is an error, or you can prove that it is,
I will make the corrections and posts adjustments to your accounts.

The bond trading was hectic, and I was not officially the financier.
It is possible that an honest error was made.

I would need to know the date and terms of the alledged trade.

Malenkai
this game is more work than my real job

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:28:46 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> IdiotBoy wrote:
> 
> > Why does everyone think snowgod has 25 PFGuy, when he sold them to me?
> 
> If snowgod concurs that this is an error, or you can prove that it is,
> I will make the corrections and posts adjustments to your accounts.
> 
> The bond trading was hectic, and I was not officially the financier.
> It is possible that an honest error was made.
> 
> I would need to know the date and terms of the alledged trade.
> 
> Malenkai
> this game is more work than my real job
> 

I believe Idiot Boy is correct.  I have a message in my outbox accepting 
a transaction of 25 PFguy for A$125

snowgod
honesty is the best policy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> If snowgod concurs that this is an error, or you can prove that it is,
> I will make the corrections and posts adjustments to your accounts.
> 
Here's the funny part.  I don't know if the A$ is right or not.  I just
remember being flush with joy over getting my PFGuy.

> The bond trading was hectic, and I was not officially the financier.
> It is possible that an honest error was made.
> 
Hey, it's understood.  It seems to be a common misconception.  I frankly
don't really care, until I get back on my PFBondTrading feet.  Then I just
want to have it clear.  

> I would need to know the date and terms of the alledged trade.
> 
> Malenkai
> this game is more work than my real job
> 
I put snowgod and some kinda Mac-grep on it. ;)

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:34:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

Phillip R. Ackley wrote:

> I believe Idiot Boy is correct.  I have a message in my outbox accepting
> a transaction of 25 PFguy for A$125

I need to know if this transaction occurred before or after 12:00 EDT
sept 30th.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:39:20 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
> 
> > I believe Idiot Boy is correct.  I have a message in my outbox accepting
> > a transaction of 25 PFguy for A$125
> 
> I need to know if this transaction occurred before or after 12:00 EDT
> sept 30th.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
I don't have the exact date (My computer has informed me that it happened 
on July 27, 1917) but I am almost positive it was before sept 30.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 20:40:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

I can tell you that the original trade between snowgod and myself occured 
14 September, so a good guess for the snowgod - IB trade is "yes."

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
> 
> > I believe Idiot Boy is correct.  I have a message in my outbox accepting
> > a transaction of 25 PFguy for A$125
> 
> I need to know if this transaction occurred before or after 12:00 EDT
> sept 30th.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:40:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Webstuff

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
> 
> > I believe Idiot Boy is correct.  I have a message in my outbox accepting
> > a transaction of 25 PFguy for A$125
> 
> I need to know if this transaction occurred before or after 12:00 EDT
> sept 30th.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
Ok, semi-anecdotal evidence.  My bond page was last updated 9/29 and
includes the trade.  So, I am convinced it was before.

IB
but everyone is invited to draw his own conclusion
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:45:17 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon

The voting for the Silver Moon award is over.  The results are:

1. Brinjal's first Party Hall Party poem.
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/php.html#PHP1
- --------------------------------------------------------
[4 votes, winner: ThinMan, mr cwm, Malenkai, Habeous Corpus]

2. fnord's post of Phoebe's wisdom
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/phoebe.html#14
- ---------------------------------------------------------
[1 vote: /dev/joe]

3. ThinMan's silly vacation hat design for Robert Sevin
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/svh.html#SVH1
- --------------------------------------------------------
[2 votes: Guy Fawkes, snowgod]

4. The Gallery Portrait of Malenkai (a product of snowgod's portrait service)
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/gallery/malenkai2.jpg
- ----------------------------------------------------------------
[1 vote: fnord]

Thus Brinjal is awarded the first Silver Moon (for which snowgod is
working on the gif) and a cash prize of A$75, for that party hall poem.

He must make an acceptance speech not to exceed 10,000 words, and it
is a duty of the web-harfer to note the silver moon award somehow.

Congratulatons to all the nominees, outstanding works of art in their
own right.

Malenkai
assistant tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:47:53 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A question

Since ackanomic resides on the underside of the earth, wouldn't the Brass 
Monkey have to climb *down* to reach what would customarily be considered 
the top of the tallest building in ackanomic?  After all, wouldn't an 
upwards climb put him in the basement?

For that matter, wouldn't the tallest building be the one with the least 
downward expansion?

snowgod
who will never be a physicist

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 21:50:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A question

Phillip R. Ackley wrote:
 
> Since ackanomic resides on the underside of the earth, wouldn't the Brass
> Monkey have to climb *down* to reach what would customarily be considered
> the top of the tallest building in ackanomic?  After all, wouldn't an
> upwards climb put him in the basement?

I'm sure the answer is buried in the Codex of Kra, which I have submitted,
in light of the overwhelming response to the RFC :)

> snowgod
> who will never be a physicistwho could run for AckaPhysicist if that proposal is accepted

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 22:00:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Financial Adjustments

The following adjustments will be made due the lost PGGuy trade

snowgod -25 PFGuy
snowgod +125 A$

IdiotBoy +25 PFGuy
IdiotBoy -125 A$

snowgod -11 A$ (yield)
IdiotBoy +10 A$ (yield - the difference is due to the weird rounding rules)

The page will be updated shortly

Malenkai
unofficial un-assistant to the financier

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:03:40 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Debate - Snowgods Answers

1) Why do you want to be president and what encouraged you to run for 
president in the first place? (Okay, so that's really two questions) 

Back when the world was round, well maybe not that long ago, I was 
unjustly convicted of calling an illegal witchunt and sentenced to a 
stint in the Gaol.  While I was in there, the Supreme Court overturned my 
conviction, but the rules at the time provided no way for me to be 
released even though I was not a criminal.  The president, /dev/joe, kept 
me imprisoned for three entire days (I was a political prisoner) before 
granting my Appeal For Pardon.

It was then that I decided to run for President.  No more would an 
innocent man be confined to the Gaol.  I ran for president with the 
intent of being tough on crime, but just, and I feel I have done just 
that.  

As president, I have pushed for rules that create interesting play 
options for the citizens (at no one's expense but mine).  I want to be 
president becuase it's fun; no more, no less.  And when re-elected, I 
shall continue to encourage merriment and creativity in this great land!

2). We often question candidates about their beliefs as to the shape of 
the earth. What do you believe to be the size of the earth? 

This question requires careful consideration.  First impression would 
allow one to believe that the earth is very large indeed.  After all, no 
one has ever emerged from the other side of the Wilds Of Ackanomic..  
However, the bulk of the evidence available to me leads me to believe 
that the earth is actually quite small.

Consider this: We have players from locations all over the topside of the 
earth inhabiting Ackanomic. - Alaska, Isreal, the United Kingdom. - and 
all of us are able to comunicate with each other instantly, and without 
even needing to raise our voices to be heard.  Even comunications with 
other nomic games can be had very quickly.  No neeed to wait days while 
the carier pigeons travel back and forth.

No, I belive the eart is quite small.  Perhaps only 317km from one edge 
to the other.

3) How do you feel about Ackanomic's apperant obsession with headware? 

I believe that Ackanomic's obsession with headwear stems from a fear of 
balding.  Consider, historically, the majority of Ackanomians have been 
males in their 20's.  These players are fearful that in the next several 
years they shall begin to go bald, as their fathers did before them, and 
are doing everything in their power to prevent that.  The silly vacation 
hat for instance, covers an area that could quite possibly be bald.  The 
prosthetic forhead can be used to disguise a receding hairline.

Perhaps it is time that ackanomic negotiates for the import of Rogaine.

4). There is a proposal on the queue to merge the Appointer's role with 
the President's. Do you feel that the President should have a larger role 
in Ackanomic, and should such a larger role be expressed mainly in terms 
of Duties or privileges?

The president should be the moral leader of ackanomic.  He should be a 
servant of the players, doing their will, and being their guide.  When 
tough times come to ackanomic, the president should stand up and take 
action, leading the game on a path to safety.  

The president, perhaps, should have more duties  if they are appropriate 
for the role his office plays in the game - such as appointing players.  
He should not, however, be granted excess privlidge, for he is no better 
than any other player.   

5) What attributes do you feel are most important in a leader? 

A leader must be strong, and able to take nesessary actions without fear 
of the repercussions that may occur to him.  A leader must understand his 
constituants - so that he may do their will.  A leader must be able to 
see both sides of an issue, and steer clear of personal bias.  A leader 
must have a sense of humor, and be able to spread his good cheer to 
others.  And last, but not least, a leader must be a poor speller and a 
normal joe, so that others do not feel threatened or opressed by his 
rank.  

6). One of the most recent controversies in Ackanomic was the UnderWorld 
strike. Do you think that this a "terrorist act" as some players said, a 
legitimate use of the rules, as UW claimed, or perhaps you have another 
opinion? What measures, if any, shoulc Ackanomic take to prevent 
something similar from happening in the future?

The UnderWorld strike was not intended to be a terrorist act.  It was 
intended to be nothing more than another scam - good clean fun.  However, 
both sides made mistakes in handling it and it got out of hand.  I 
believe that for the most part, Ackanomic has gotten over the damage 
caused by this strike.   We have all learned our lessons, and know where 
our breaking points are - hopefully we will handle similar situation 
better in the future.

I don't think any action should be taken to prevent something similar 
from happening in the future.  Players should be given maximum freedom to 
do as they wish in ackanomic.  If a group of playes acts in a manner that 
is considered objectionable to others, but is allowable by the rules, we 
can deal with the consequences on a case by case basis.  And perhaps next 
time, we won't make the same mistakes.

7) Would you compose a sample proposal containing the following sentence 
"Deep In the rain forest it was doing what it usually does in rain 
forests, which was raining: hence the name." and explain how that 
proposal would benefit all the people of Acklanomic. (feel free to 
replace this sentence with any other that is substantially sillier if you 
are worried that i am stacking the deck with this question) 

Deep In the rain forest it was doing what it usually does in rain 
forests, which was raining: hence the name.  This rain will cause a 
horrible flood to sweep through ackanomic destroying all of the suction 
cups that keep us attached to the bottom of the earth is something is not 
done. Therefore, on the first of each month  every non-vacationing priest 
must post a prayer of deliverance to the public forum.  This prayer must 
contain at lest 3 words with 6 sylables, and one line of text that is 
"spoken in tounges".

If exactly one priest fails to comply with this rule his house shall lose 
it's suction cups and dangle from the bottom of the earth.  If two priest 
fail to comply, 5 building chosen at random will lose their suctions 
cups.  If more than two priest fail to comply, the floods shall destroy 
all of the suction cups in ackanomic, causing everything to dangle.

This rule would benifit the people of ackanomic by providing another 
intersting situation that requires creative (and fun) handling to avoid 
disaster.  It invloves elements from other rules to enhance game play.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #289
*******************************