Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #284
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, October 9 1996      Volume 01 : Number 284

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 01:08:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President

The candidates for President are:

Niccolo Flychuck
snowgod
Uncle Sam

The election will last for 3 days.  Send me your votes.  Good luck
to all the candidates, and no excessive frinking during the campaign :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 01:12:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> The candidates for President are:

> The election will last for 3 days.  Send me your votes.  Good luck
> to all the candidates, and no excessive frinking during the campaign :)

Game custom indicates that the candidates comment on the shape of
the earth during the campaign.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:22:56 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stickers - again

I guess I am stuck now with a bunch of stickers. OK.

I am invoking R115 to create one sticker in each player's possession, that
says "Pay no attention to my Prosthetic Forehead - Niccolo Flychuck for
President".   Each sticker will be created when the player who posseses it
acknowledges it.  

Niccolo Flychuck

Wearing a Prosthetic Forehead - and a sticker that says "Pay no attention
to my Prosthetic Forhead - Niccolo Flychuck for President"

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, mr cwm wrote:

> To:   Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm
> 
> I believe Malenkai was correct in stating that R115 entities are not ...
> tradable? tradeble? tradible? ... able to be traded, referencing R484 and
> CFJ 284.  It is with regret, then, that I discover that I never had oneof
> Niccolo Flychuck's nice campaign stickers.  If, however, he would like to
> create one directly into my posession, I know just where to put it.  (I
> suppose I could create one myself, but it wouldn't quite be the same.)
> 
> -mr cwm
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:38:36 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Foreheads

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> I wish to thank snowgod for eir lovely gift,  with some reservations. 
> The forehead,  and snowgod's campaign sounds sightly Democratic.  While I
> do not object to Democrats,  and even vote for them,  I am not crazy
> about the use of cartoon animals to portray the symbolism the parties
> represent. Dumbo and a Jackass??

Have no fear, Habeous Corpus.  My choice of a mules's tail for your 
forehead was to honor the inventor of Grab-A-Donkey (or at least he who 
ported it to ackanomic).  It in no way represents political affiliation :)

snowgod
(None Yet) or bust!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:41:08 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: sticker

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> I accept Niccolo Flychuck's campaign sticker and deftly rearrange the 
> words on it to read, "Pay no attention to Niccolo Flychuck -- my 
> Prosthetic Forehead for President."
> 
> I then slap it on my real head in place of my prosthesis while I am 
> recovering from my sore head.

My compliments to Guy Fawkes on a dandy joke.  I fell out of my chair 
laughing.

snowgod
who wants a sticker like guy fawkes.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:45:21 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Not really an RFC

	Any comments on allowing R115 entitities to be tradeable?

snowgod
who firmly believes in the shape of the earth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:47:31 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The earth is...

I, snowgod, a reformed heretic, very firmly believe in the shape of the 
earth.  I am sure that it definatly is.  No doubt about it in my mind.

snowgod
who actually believe that the earth is flat, and possibly a polygon with 
1000 sides to avoid the disc/round conflict.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:11:43 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Stickers

snowgod wrote:

>Per R115 I am creating some stickers that read "Only snowgod is wearing a 
>blue cartoon parka.  What more reason do you need to vote for him?".  I 
>offer one to every player.  Are R115 Stickers tradeable? :)

I am afraid I must decline the generous offer.  In addition,
no, R115 Stickers are not tradeable.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:22:55 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

I vote for 
>
>Niccolo Flychuck

for president.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:45:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stickers - again

I accept Niccolo Flychuck's gracious offer to create a campaign sticker in
my posession, and post it right where I would have posted the previous
sticker, if I'd actually had it.  Thanks again, Niccolo Flychuck!

- -mr cwm

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

>
>I guess I am stuck now with a bunch of stickers. OK.
>
>I am invoking R115 to create one sticker in each player's possession, that
>says "Pay no attention to my Prosthetic Forehead - Niccolo Flychuck for
>President".   Each sticker will be created when the player who posseses it
>acknowledges it.  
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>
>Wearing a Prosthetic Forehead - and a sticker that says "Pay no attention
>to my Prosthetic Forhead - Niccolo Flychuck for President"
>
>
>
>
>On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, mr cwm wrote:
>
>> To:   Ackanomians
>> From: mr cwm
>> 
>> I believe Malenkai was correct in stating that R115 entities are not ...
>> tradable? tradeble? tradible? ... able to be traded, referencing R484 and
>> CFJ 284.  It is with regret, then, that I discover that I never had oneof
>> Niccolo Flychuck's nice campaign stickers.  If, however, he would like to
>> create one directly into my posession, I know just where to put it.  (I
>> suppose I could create one myself, but it wouldn't quite be the same.)
>> 
>> -mr cwm
>> 
>> 
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 08:09:08 -0600
From: Uncle Sam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President 

I, Uncle Sam, believe the Earth to be a giant cube.  On one of the six sides
is Ackanomic.  Ackanomic is one of the darker sides of the planet.  I've
noticed the corners have been smoothed out a bit making the planet look
almost round.

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:41:34 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: offer

I ack this transaction.
I ack receipt of a forehead off snowgod too

Bascule

 
> I transfer 400 A$ to Bascule in exchange for the Really Big Blue Thing 
> That Doesn't Do Much, Really, pending his ack of this trade.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> 
> 
> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:
> 
> > however at the moment I'm 
> > afraid I'll need a deposit of A$400, and the rental charge is A$25 
> > per week. So if you'll give me A$400 for the RBBTTDDMR, I'll buy it 
> > back off you for A$375 in a week's time.
> > 
> > Deal?
> > 
> > Bascule
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:28:43 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

I wrote:

>I vote for 
>>
>>Niccolo Flychuck
>
>for president.

Oops.  Too quick on the reply, there.  Oh well, it was going
to be made public eventually, anyway.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:14:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation Ends

Well, mail seems to be arriving here at muppetlabs, so I hereby take myself
off of vacation.

I note that I have been offered a couple of gifts by some very eager
candidates (thank you, Postmaster, for your FTP archives). I hereby ack
both of them, and offer my thanks. However, I am rather allergic to
raiment that contains advertising, so I will not be wearing them. Instead
I will keep them as mementoes. Best of luck to both of you.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Poet Vote and misc. 

This didn't go out first time, so I send it again.

> I would like to thank all those who voted for
> me in my bid to become the first Poet Laureate
> of Ackanomic.  Thanks go,a s well, to those
> tiny little electrons whose randomness
> granted their favor upon me.
> 
> Thanks also to my esteemed opponents,
> Guy Fawkes and Niccolo Flychuck, for their
> invigorating competition.
> 
> More thanks to Guy Fawkes, for keeping
> track of Brinjal's Party Hall Party 
> Gaoler's Poems, for I fear I had lost
> them before thoughts of being Poet Laureate
> entered my mind.  I will have my own
> Poet Laureate Pages up and running
> in short order, and will announce
> their address as soon as they are available.
> 
> I would like to remind the President
> and Presidential-hopefuls that, as Poet Laureate,
> I am available to the President of Ackanomic to
> write one poem a month, gratis, to liven a festive 
> occasion or commemorate an important event.
> 
> The Poet Laureate is also available for commission
> by other players.  Contact me with information about
> thee works you desire, and fees/commissions will
> be worked from there.
> 
> fnord

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:43:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stickers - again

Apparently, I was mistaken in believing I had a sticker to rearrange and 
wear.  However, I now find one in my possession, so I rearrange and wear 
it as previously mentioned.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:50:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: offer

You'll find my retraction of this offer later in the mail-stack.
However, I have changed my mind again, and I reinstate the offer.
Please re-ack so we can get this straightened out.

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:

> I ack this transaction.
> I ack receipt of a forehead off snowgod too
> 
> Bascule
> 
> 
>  
> > I transfer 400 A$ to Bascule in exchange for the Really Big Blue Thing 
> > That Doesn't Do Much, Really, pending his ack of this trade.
> > 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:50:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: offer

You'll find my retraction of this offer later in the mail-stack.
However, I have changed my mind again, and I reinstate the offer.
Please re-ack so we can get this straightened out.

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:

> I ack this transaction.
> I ack receipt of a forehead off snowgod too
> 
> Bascule
> 
> 
>  
> > I transfer 400 A$ to Bascule in exchange for the Really Big Blue Thing 
> > That Doesn't Do Much, Really, pending his ack of this trade.
> > 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:57:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

This borders on heresy.

If the earth is indeed a solid figure, it does indeed have perfectly flat 
faces and perfectly sharp edges and vertices.  Indeed, only the theory that 
the earth may have a very, very large number of faces could even partially 
excuse the highly mistaken belief in a round earth -- the fact that the 
shape of the earth approaches a sphere as the number of faces increases 
without bound has led some well-meaning empiricists very much astray into 
the dark and unenlightened lands of heresy.

I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
infinitely many finite cells).

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Uncle Sam wrote:

> I, Uncle Sam, believe the Earth to be a giant cube.  On one of the six sides
> is Ackanomic.  Ackanomic is one of the darker sides of the planet.  I've
> noticed the corners have been smoothed out a bit making the planet look
> almost round.
> 
> Uncle Sam
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:24:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Goose

The Chartreuse Goose and I are getting along very well.  I have given it 
the name 99FF00, and it seems to enjoy being called that.  I guess it 
isn't quite as much of a hex upon me as I had feared.

Guy Fawkes
who wishes to express that all puns in this message are very much intentional

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 12:54:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 301 Verdict

CFJ 301 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 301
  Subject: Newspaper selling
Initiator: IdiotBoy
    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 30, 1996, 15:40h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

It is not possible for a player to sell a newspaper, without permission,
which is not published by his own newspaper.

IdiotBoy's Reasoning:

R891 regulates the production of newspapers.  The third paragraph states
that:

News articles may be posted by the owner of a newspaper, quoting the name of
the newspaper in the article.  Such an article is said to have been
published in that newspaper.

Given the result of CFCJ 115, "posting" must be taken to include sending out
a newspaper by means of private email.   If it were not so, IdiotBoy would
have been found innocent, for he never posted a newspaper article to the
public forum, preferring to distrubte by means of subscription.

R891, paragraph 4 states:

No player may publish articles in a paper she does not own without the
express permission of the owner.

This may be taken to mean that the recipient of a newspaper does not have
the right to redistribute a newspaper which she receives, by any means.
The mere act of posting (sending via email) a copy of a newspaper is
considered publishing.  Resending another's newpaper is publishing that
newspaper.  A clear violation of the rules, if express permission is not
given.

breadbox's Reasoning:

When taken in context, it is clear that the intention of paragraph 4
in Rule 891 was to prevent citizens from misrepresenting a newspaper
by posting articles that falsely claimed to be printed in a paper that
they did not own. The question before the court is then whether this
can be construed to prohibit duplication, in any form, of a newspaper
or articles that appeared in it.

I do not believe that to be the case. Specifically, I claim that a
private message shared between two parties, as opposed to a message
submitted to a public forum, cannot be considered an act of
publishing. The fact that one party may be paid for sending such a
message is not germane.

This judge does not feel that Ackanomia has any business in
restricting the private activies of its citizens.

I must note that by this logic, Idiotboy's "Hot Tips Newsletter" is a
private activity (albeit advertised in a most public fashion), and
should be not considered to be a newspaper.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:11:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

>
>This borders on heresy.
>
>If the earth is indeed a solid figure, it does indeed have perfectly flat 
>faces and perfectly sharp edges and vertices.  Indeed, only the theory that 
>the earth may have a very, very large number of faces could even partially 
>excuse the highly mistaken belief in a round earth -- the fact that the 
>shape of the earth approaches a sphere as the number of faces increases 
>without bound has led some well-meaning empiricists very much astray into 
>the dark and unenlightened lands of heresy.
>
>I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
>peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
>indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
>word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
>infinitely many finite cells).
>

Is this really true?  Most of my formal mathematical training has been
either forgotten or blocked from my mind, but it seems like there should
be some sort of fractal or geometric series Gaol that could get us around
this problem.  Or if the cells were two dimensional, they could be
stacked. 

- -mr cwm
 not really wishing he'd paid more attention in math class

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:21:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

mr cwm wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> >I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
> >peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
> >indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
> >word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
> >infinitely many finite cells).

> Is this really true?  Most of my formal mathematical training has been
> either forgotten or blocked from my mind, but it seems like there should
> be some sort of fractal or geometric series Gaol that could get us around
> this problem.  Or if the cells were two dimensional, they could be
> stacked. 

mr cwm is right.  For instance, a Gaol in which each cell is half the size
of the previous cell fills just twice the amount of space occupied by the
largest cell.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Heresy?

Truly flat in all senses of the word?  a point.
Maybe we could agree on a line, but I ain't going to three dimensions.

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:29:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, mr cwm wrote:

> Is this really true?  Most of my formal mathematical training has been
> either forgotten or blocked from my mind, but it seems like there should
> be some sort of fractal or geometric series Gaol that could get us around
> this problem.  Or if the cells were two dimensional, they could be
> stacked. 
> 
> -mr cwm
>  not really wishing he'd paid more attention in math class

I confess; there are a few ways around it.  You could have a geometric 
series Gaol -- probably the most famous example would be if cell 2 is 
half the size of cell 1, and cell 3 is half the size of cell 2 and so 
forth until the entire Gaol is twice the the size of cell 1, but quite 
frankly, I'd hate to be in that nth cell.  Another possibilty would be a 
p-series Gaol, (1, 1/4, 1/9, 1/16...) is the simplest convergent one of 
those I can think of, but once again, I'd hate to be in that nth cell.

Since the area occupied by the Gaol is dictated by rule to be finite -- 1 
unit of land -- or whatever, this is probably the way it works.  But why 
would the cells have to be two-dimentional to be stacked?  The only 
problem I see with having an infinitely tall Gaol tower is that the Brass 
Monkey would have one heck of a time climbing to the top to proclaim a 
string of 10 accepted proposals.

Guy Fawkes
having a few theorems rudely sprung upon him

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:41:06 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Party Hall Party

I believe all Swingers reported the success of the Party Hall Party.

If this is not the case, please inform me so that I can fulfill my duty 
as Acting Gaoler to fulfill the Gaoler's duty of an awfully written 
8-line poem.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:44:40 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

mr cwm wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>
>>I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
>>peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
>>indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
>>word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
>>infinitely many finite cells).
>
>Is this really true?  Most of my formal mathematical training has been
>either forgotten or blocked from my mind, but it seems like there should
>be some sort of fractal or geometric series Gaol that could get us around
>this problem.  Or if the cells were two dimensional, they could be
>stacked. 

mr cwm is right.  Infinitely many finite cells may still have a finite
combined volume, and therefore could exist on an earth of any shape.
Moreover, I note that whether or not the Earth is a plane, the universe
is three-dimensional -- otherwise we would not need suction cups.  That
being the case, even infinitely many cells of the same size could be
accomodated in an infinitely tall building, so long as the universe is
sufficiently (infinitely) high.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:50:48 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> 
> mr cwm wrote:
> 
> >On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:
> >
> >>I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
> >>peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
> >>indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
> >>word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
> >>infinitely many finite cells).
> >
> >Is this really true?  Most of my formal mathematical training has been
> >either forgotten or blocked from my mind, but it seems like there should
> >be some sort of fractal or geometric series Gaol that could get us around
> >this problem.  Or if the cells were two dimensional, they could be
> >stacked. 
> 
> mr cwm is right.  Infinitely many finite cells may still have a finite
> combined volume, and therefore could exist on an earth of any shape.
> Moreover, I note that whether or not the Earth is a plane, the universe
> is three-dimensional -- otherwise we would not need suction cups.  That
> being the case, even infinitely many cells of the same size could be
> accomodated in an infinitely tall building, so long as the universe is
> sufficiently (infinitely) high.
> 
> ThinMan
> 
Just to add my two cents in, it would be truly horrible if the universe 
was a plane, as is the earth.  What happens when you dangle?  Do you 
dangle outside the universe?  Ouch.

snowgod
 who firmly believes that the earth is flat
and that suction cups are to counteract pressure
and who likes to envision the gaol occupying one kaa of land on the otside,
and being infinitly large on the inside!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:13:59 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: offer

Precluding a re-retraction of the offer, I re-ack my acceptance.

Bascule

> You'll find my retraction of this offer later in the mail-stack.
> However, I have changed my mind again, and I reinstate the offer.
> Please re-ack so we can get this straightened out.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> 
> 
> On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:
> 
> > I ack this transaction.
> > I ack receipt of a forehead off snowgod too
> > 
> > Bascule
> > 
> > 
> >  
> > > I transfer 400 A$ to Bascule in exchange for the Really Big Blue Thing 
> > > That Doesn't Do Much, Really, pending his ack of this trade.
> > > 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:32:11 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

> mr cwm is right.  Infinitely many finite cells may still have a finite
> combined volume, and therefore could exist on an earth of any shape.
> Moreover, I note that whether or not the Earth is a plane, the universe
> is three-dimensional -- otherwise we would not need suction cups.  That
> being the case, even infinitely many cells of the same size could be
> accomodated in an infinitely tall building, so long as the universe is
> sufficiently (infinitely) high.
> 
> ThinMan

As has been pointed out in another thread, the Brass Monkey might
have a little difficulty in climbing to the top of an infinitely
tall building. Similarly, if we occupy a volume that is essentially
constant, then an infinitely small cell in a geometric series might
not be big enough to hold a prisoner. I reckon that the gaol must
consist of an infinite number of constant volume cells
_underground_. However, I'm still trying to understand how snowgod
made the Really Big Blue Thing: until today, it was a bit bigger
than my house, which didn't leave a lot of room for me. Guy Fawkes
will have to cope now with a faceful of Blue Thing whenever he tries
to move

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:34:45 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Wednesday, the 9th day of October, in the Year of Our Lord
1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since
I have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 4 times.

Bascule
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:52:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> mr cwm is right.  Infinitely many finite cells may still have a finite
> combined volume, and therefore could exist on an earth of any shape.
> Moreover, I note that whether or not the Earth is a plane, the universe
> is three-dimensional -- otherwise we would not need suction cups.  That
> being the case, even infinitely many cells of the same size could be
> accomodated in an infinitely tall building, so long as the universe is
> sufficiently (infinitely) high.
> 
> ThinMan

I object, ThinMan.  Acka cannot contain an infinitely tall building, 
because the Brass Monkey is required under certain circumstances to climb 
to the top of our tallest building.

Guy Fawkes

P.S.; whether the earth is finite or a geometric plane, I see no problem 
with having a Gaol that has infinitely many basements, whether or not the 
infinite sum of the building's depth converges.  In that case, the Gaol 
can simply jut back up through to the top side of the Earth, and our 
escapees would explain just why the Earth is in such bad shape.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:55:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:

> As has been pointed out in another thread, the Brass Monkey might
> have a little difficulty in climbing to the top of an infinitely
> tall building. Similarly, if we occupy a volume that is essentially
> constant, then an infinitely small cell in a geometric series might
> not be big enough to hold a prisoner. I reckon that the gaol must
> consist of an infinite number of constant volume cells
> _underground_. However, I'm still trying to understand how snowgod
> made the Really Big Blue Thing: until today, it was a bit bigger
> than my house, which didn't leave a lot of room for me. Guy Fawkes
> will have to cope now with a faceful of Blue Thing whenever he tries
> to move
> 
> Bascule

As long as our Presidential debate has delved into a topographical 
muddle, may I ask this?  Exactly how did the Machine That Goes *ping* fit 
into your House when the Blue Thing was already there?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:06:56 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

> On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Bascule wrote:
> 
> > As has been pointed out in another thread, the Brass Monkey might
> > have a little difficulty in climbing to the top of an infinitely
> > tall building. Similarly, if we occupy a volume that is essentially
> > constant, then an infinitely small cell in a geometric series might
> > not be big enough to hold a prisoner. I reckon that the gaol must
> > consist of an infinite number of constant volume cells
> > _underground_. However, I'm still trying to understand how snowgod
> > made the Really Big Blue Thing: until today, it was a bit bigger
> > than my house, which didn't leave a lot of room for me. Guy Fawkes
> > will have to cope now with a faceful of Blue Thing whenever he tries
> > to move
> > 
> > Bascule
> 
> As long as our Presidential debate has delved into a topographical 
> muddle, may I ask this?  Exactly how did the Machine That Goes *ping* fit 
> into your House when the Blue Thing was already there?
> 
> Guy Fawkes

It teleported there. R1240 says so. I couldn't see it of course, the 
world is blue as far as I'm concerned, but I heard it go *ping* 
occasionally

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 15:12:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What Enlightenment?

Now that I am the proud (albeit temporary) owner of The Really Big Blue 
Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really, I am taking the following actions in 
the order indicated.

1. I am creating an R115 entity called /joe/dev.  It explicitly 
allows itself to be destroyed by any public statement to that effect.

2. In response to /dev/joe's implications that the earth may in fact be 
round, I am calling a Witchhunt against /joe/dev.  I call to any 
objectors' attentions that the Witchhunt rule (729?) says that following 
a heretical statement or implication, any player may call a Witchhunt, 
the only restriction being that they may not call a Witchhunt against an 
Enlightened player.  There is no restriction against calling a Witchhunt 
against a player other than he who uttered the heresy, nor even against 
an entity that is not a player at all.

3.  I am destroying /joe/dev.  The Witchhunt is, however, Protected, and 
cannot be removed by means other than those explicitly delineated in the 
rules, and so it remains.

4.  I am pointing The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really
at /dev/joe, and I press the ENERGIZE button.  It changes /dev/joe's name 
to /joe/dev.

5. I am noting that there is a Witchhunt in progress against /joe/dev, 
and that there is no Rule agaisnt there being a Witchhunt against an 
Enlightened player, so long as the Witchhunt was never called against the 
Enlightened player, and that should /joe/dev decide to change his name, 
all Ackanomic business will follow him as per Rule 570.

Guy Fawkes
Zelous Avenger of Orthodox Cosmology

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:04:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: What Enlightenment?

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> Now that I am the proud (albeit temporary) owner of The Really Big Blue 
> Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really, I am taking the following actions in 
> the order indicated.
> 
> 1. I am creating an R115 entity called /joe/dev.  It explicitly 
> allows itself to be destroyed by any public statement to that effect.
> 
> 2. In response to /dev/joe's implications that the earth may in fact be 
> round, I am calling a Witchhunt against /joe/dev.  I call to any 
> objectors' attentions that the Witchhunt rule (729?) says that following 
> a heretical statement or implication, any player may call a Witchhunt, 
> the only restriction being that they may not call a Witchhunt against an 
> Enlightened player.  There is no restriction against calling a Witchhunt 
> against a player other than he who uttered the heresy, nor even against 
> an entity that is not a player at all.
> 
> 3.  I am destroying /joe/dev.  The Witchhunt is, however, Protected, and 
> cannot be removed by means other than those explicitly delineated in the 
> rules, and so it remains.
> 
> 4.  I am pointing The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really
> at /dev/joe, and I press the ENERGIZE button.  It changes /dev/joe's name 
> to /joe/dev.
> 
> 5. I am noting that there is a Witchhunt in progress against /joe/dev, 
> and that there is no Rule agaisnt there being a Witchhunt against an 
> Enlightened player, so long as the Witchhunt was never called against the 
> Enlightened player, and that should /joe/dev decide to change his name, 
> all Ackanomic business will follow him as per Rule 570.

I am changing my name back to /dev/joe.
My old name was /joe/dev
My new name is /dev/joe
My real name is Joseph DeVincentis
The reason for the change is to help officers not have to do a lot of
work changing my name anywhere.

It looks like all that Guy Fawkes has done here probably works, although
the bit about calling the witchhunt against an R115 entity is suspect.
However, even if the votes are in favor of burning me, I will not be
burned, because of the last part of the rule, which says:

  Any player who is Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may
  never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic.
  This paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.

The point penalty and moving me to the afterlife are triggered on being
burned, so those will not happen either.

/dev/joe
Enlightened

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What Enlightenment?

Wow!  And suddenly all becomes clear to the residents of FunkyTown!

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:33:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What Enlightenment?

I am perfectly aware what I have done won't actually lead /dev/joe to the 
stake, but I couldn't have it said that I didn't try, now. :)

Unless, of course, someone wants to make an argument that he shall be 
burned as a witch rather than as a heretic, but I really doubt the 
validity of that.

Guy Fawkes
living with a The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> It looks like all that Guy Fawkes has done here probably works, although
> the bit about calling the witchhunt against an R115 entity is suspect.
> However, even if the votes are in favor of burning me, I will not be
> burned, because of the last part of the rule, which says:
> 
>   Any player who is Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may
>   never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic.
>   This paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.
> 
> The point penalty and moving me to the afterlife are triggered on being
> burned, so those will not happen either.
> 
> /dev/joe
> Enlightened

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:38:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President, etc.

I admit that a Gaol cells need not be two dimensional to be stacked.

Thanks for all the interesting responses.  Since you all seem well
equipped to answer questions, while all I have to do is ask them, could
the Brass Monkey have some motion that would allow it to cover an infinite
distance in a finite time?  What if it climbed each constant-sized cell
twice as fast (i.e., in half the time) as the previous one? Isn't this
analogous to the infinite goemetric series Gaol covering a finite area?

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 18:04:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> mr cwm is right.  For instance, a Gaol in which each cell is half the size
> of the previous cell fills just twice the amount of space occupied by the
> largest cell.

Does that allow for a cell the exact size of phoebe's matchbox, which
was the size of snowgod's cell?  We could make that the largest :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:09:11 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: President

Bascule wrote:

>As has been pointed out in another thread, the Brass Monkey might
>have a little difficulty in climbing to the top of an infinitely
>tall building.

Ah, but that is the magic of Ackanomic.  The rules say
that the Brass Monkey climbs it, therefore he does.  Who can
say how?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 18:15:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What Enlightenment?

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 

> 2. In response to /dev/joe's implications that the earth may in fact be
> round, I am calling a Witchhunt against /joe/dev.

A witchhunt has been called.  Please send your votes to the Round Earth
Soci^H^H, um, to me.  Due to the fact there are two other votes going on,
please put the word Witch or Enlightenment (which will allow reply to
this) in your vote.

Note that there is a proposal in the queue to repeal enlightenment.  I
do not know if it is due within 3 days.

Enlightened Witchfinder General

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:21:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stickers

I hereby transport all R115 stickers from wherever they may be, and slap 
them all over my body.

- --Mohammed  (hoo!)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:33:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What Enlightenment?

I am perfectly aware what I have done won't actually lead /dev/joe to the 
stake, but I couldn't have it said that I didn't try, now. :)

Unless, of course, someone wants to make an argument that he shall be 
burned as a witch rather than as a heretic, but I really doubt the 
validity of that.

Guy Fawkes
living with a The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> It looks like all that Guy Fawkes has done here probably works, although
> the bit about calling the witchhunt against an R115 entity is suspect.
> However, even if the votes are in favor of burning me, I will not be
> burned, because of the last part of the rule, which says:
> 
>   Any player who is Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may
>   never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic.
>   This paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.
> 
> The point penalty and moving me to the afterlife are triggered on being
> burned, so those will not happen either.
> 
> /dev/joe
> Enlightened

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 18:28:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 301 Appeal

IdiotBoy has appealed CFJ 301 with the following comments:

IdiotBoy wrote:
 
I wish to appeal this on the basis that the Hot Tips Newsletter has
already been deemed a newspaper.  (CFCJ 115)  (Although I like the
judicial activism on breadbox's part.)

Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:31:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

> I will refrain from calling a witchhunt on this occasion, wishing all 
> peoples of all religions to return to the orthodoxy that the earth is 
> indeed a geometric plane, the only figure flat in every meaning of the 
> word (not to mention the only flat figure permitting a Gaol with 
> infinitely many finite cells).
	Actually, a Gaol with infinitely many finite cells can be
contained in finite 3-d space, but not if all the cells are the same size. 
Simply declare that each cell is half the width of the one to its left, and
that the leftmost cell is 5x10x8 feet.
	Since Ack may have to fit in a sphere, depending on the pass/fail 
of mr cwm's recent proposal, this may end up being the common 
interpretation...

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #284
*******************************