Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #280
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, October 7 1996        Volume 01 : Number 280

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 20:34:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFC -- Cruelty to Animals (take 2)

RFC
Cruelty to Animals
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Insert the following between the existing second and third paragraphs of 
Rule 1243:

The player possessing the Chartreuse Goose is responsible for feeding 
it.  Since the Goose eats grass (very much like cows eat grass, though 
not in quite the quantity of cows or the Little Lamb), if any player 
possesses the Chartreuse Goose on noon Monday EST/EDT, that player must 
post within the next three days a public notice to the effect that he is 
transferring 4 A$ to the Treasury to pay for damaging the Senate lawn.  
(The Goose has a very refined taste for expensive grass.)  Failure to do 
so shall render that player Guilty of Cruelty to Animals, and he is 
eligible to be CFCJ'd for this failure.

If, in this message, he posts that he is spending 10 A$ to buy the Goose 
an extra large meal, the Goose shall take a long nap after gorging 
itself, and there is a 5% chance that it shall be unable to find its 
possessor upon waking, in which case it will resign itself and go 
Somewhere Else. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 20:48:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Poet Laureate

Alas, the die is cast, th'election done
And last, I my unluckiness bemoan;
And so surrender child of my mind
Unto th'usurper's hand, it is now thine.

I invite fnord to take the code and graphics of 

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~shimmin/acka_poet.html

as material for the Poet Laureate's page.

Temporarily abashed,
Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:15:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: offer

I am willing to pay 100 A$ for The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do 
Much, Really.

If Bascule is unwilling to sell at this price, I am willing to rent it 
for 15A$ for one week.  (I will buy it for 15 A$, then give it back as a 
gift after seven days.)

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:32:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFC -- rental

RFC
Rental
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule {{[or append it somewhere else, any ideas where?]}} 
with the following text:

Any transferable entity except A$ may be rented.  The procedure for this 
is as follows:

A public message shall be posted naming the entity(ies) to be rented, a 
non-zero amount of A$, and a length of time (known as the rental period).  
Both Player A (representing the name of the player who currently owns the 
entity(ies) to be rented) and Player B (representing the name of the player 
who wishes to rent it/them) must agree to the terms of this message.

Upon the agreement of both Players A and B, the rental period shall begin, 
the named amount of A$ shall be transferred from Player B to Player A, and 
Player B shall be considered the owner of the named entity(ies) for all 
purposes except as follows:

	1) He may not destroy the rented entity(ies)
	2) He may not transfer the rented entity(ies) except to Player 
	   A.  If such a transfer occurs before the expiration of the rental 
	   period, Player A must agree to it before it occurs, upon which 
	   the rental period is deemed expired.

Player B, not Player A, shall receive all benefits or penalties (points, 
A$, etc.) for ownership of the rented entity(ies) during the rental period.

Upon expiration of the rental period, if Player B still possesses the 
rented entity(ies), they immediately revert to Player A's possession, 
unless player A is no longer in the game, in which case Player B becomes 
in fact their owner for all purposes.

This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules concerning ownership of 
transferrable entities. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 22:36:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RFC -- rental

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> RFC
> Rental
> Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> Create a new rule {{[or append it somewhere else, any ideas where?]}}
> with the following text:
> 
> Any transferable entity except A$ may be rented.  The procedure for this
> is as follows:

I would use the term "Tradeable", not "transferrable".  There is already
a proposal in the queue which claims to be a Garment and non-transferrable,
and Garments claim to be Tradeable as a class.  If both proposals pass,
it will come down to how strict of a constructionalist your judge is to
whether the intended effect will occur.

To be safe, I recommend using the term Tradeable instead, even though I
would judge equivelence, I am not a strict-constructionalist.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 22:37:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Niccolo)

Niccolo Flychuck has been fortunate enough to find Phoebe's matchbox
again.

Malenkai
speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 23:00:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Report

Since the scores after P1276/parade were released, this scoring occurred:
- -2 Guy Fawkes: retracting P1301
- -3 snowgod: not posting what Phoebe said
- -2 Mohammed: retracting P1308
+6 Habeous Corpus: posting what phoebe said
proposal scoring on P1277-1292

odd proposal scoring:
Neither the author nor the players who voted against P1284 scored points,
  by Rule 1089.2, since the proposal amends R207.
The players who voted against modest proposals 1287, 1288, and 1290 did not
  score points, due to the P1284 change to R207; the authors also got only
  half the normal score for the proposals.
P1290 and P1291 were short.

Habeous Corpus still has the trombone, but since he could conceivably lose
it (by having a score over 152 points) in the next two days, I'll report
that no player had a score of exactly 76 during this batch of score changes.

Current Scores:

Score   Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----   --------------      ---  -------------
129     Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
85      Guy Fawkes           A   (Robert Shimmin)
79      Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
58      Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
54      Brinjal              V   (Simon Clarke)
54      fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
51      /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
51      Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard)
49      Uncle Sam            A   (Sam Peterson)
48      snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley)
38      mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
34      ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger)
28      Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman)
25      Bascule              A   (Matt Black)
24      Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw)
22      breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
21      IdiotBoy             A   (Matt Miller)
11      Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
5       Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
1       this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein)
1       Dagny                N   (Wendy Peterson)
1       "Tim"                N   (Tim Carter)
1       PapaSmurf            N   (Jacob Kanafoski)
0       fon                  I   (Adrian Smith)
0       Pascal               I   (Jason Reed)
0       Robert Sevin         I   (Mitchell Harding)

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 00:11:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Score Report

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Current Scores:
> 
> Score   Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name

> 1       "Tim"                N   (Tim Carter)

If anyone cares, "Tim" has been on vacation since I was asked to R 362
him awhile back; in fact, he has been on vacation since Sept 21
and is now on ice.  Someone should probably design a SVH for him, but
there is a proposal in the queue to gracefully remove him from the
game, so...

I point this out, because he would not have 1 point from the parade,
unless there is some other scoring effect I missed, which is always
probable (at least his score should be the same as the other vacationers).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 00:36:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

Latest stuff list:

1) Magic Potato needs to be reassigned (remember, snowgod's odds
trebled)

2) Dagny and PapaSmurph needs their starting cash, and the latest
financial report needs to be released.  Damn this game is alot of
work sometimes.

3) The Supreme Court is still working on CFJ 299 and 297.

4) The first round of Grab-a-Donkey is over.  The Wrangler needs to
release the results, which shall depend on CFJ 303, which needs to
be reassigned shortly.

5) Another nomination for GamesMaster is required.

6) I believe a mad hatter needs to be assigned for "Tim", if we have
decided he joined the game in the first place.  In any case, a proposal
exists that says to treat him as if he never joined the game, so I don't
know the effect of assigning a mad hatter.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #280
*******************************